OT: No more cats

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 22, 2020, 12:40:06 PM4/22/20

There was a 2-night attack by 2 raccoons on my 2 feral cats. The
first day they crippled one cat's left hindquarters. The second day
they chased and fought and disappeared with the other cat. That night
they came back after the injured cat. No matter how often we ran them
off, used a BB gun and put the cat in protected quarters, they finally
came back after we went to bed after 4 a.m. and apparently dragged her
off. Those poor cats spent their entire lives hanging out in our back
yard or lounging on our deck. Ducks, geese, dogs, other cats,
everybody got along and didn't fuss each other. They weren't cats you
could pick up and cuddle. They had a covered basket on the picnic
table where they slept during the winter, otherwise they hung out
under the deck or in the basket. They weren't fighters. They were
getting older -- 14, but that was a bad way to go. I feel weepy all
day long.
Janet US

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 22, 2020, 1:26:12 PM4/22/20
I'm sorry to read this.

Everybody thinks raccoons are so cute thanks to Walt Disney and I suppose
they do serve a purpose but to me they are vermin just like rats. Next
time you see those 'coons use a .22.

GM

Apr 22, 2020, 1:55:45 PM4/22/20
Yea, they are ghastly...a pal has a henhouse, he always keeps the gun ready to finish off any of the dizgusting varmints that bother sniffing about...

--
Best
Greg

John Kuthe

Apr 22, 2020, 2:05:56 PM4/22/20
On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 11:40:06 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
Racoons are just more badassed than cats! I'm sure they ATE those cats too!

Ferrets too! My Ex and I used to have ferrets! Bitey little critters, but they are a lot of fun too!

John Kuthe...

Sheldon Martin

Apr 22, 2020, 2:18:21 PM4/22/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:39:58 -0600, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:
That's what happens when LAZY idiots allow house cats outside... very
obviously yours were not feral cats... were they feral cats they'd
know very well how to deal with raccoons and other wild critters...
house cats haven't a clue about how to survive outdoors.
Learn how to clean litter pans and you'd not have to let your house
cats outside.

Sheldon Martin

Apr 22, 2020, 2:29:29 PM4/22/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:26:01 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 11:40:06 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> There was a 2-night attack by 2 raccoons on my 2 feral cats. The
>> first day they crippled one cat's left hindquarters. The second day
>> they chased and fought and disappeared with the other cat. That night
>> they came back after the injured cat. No matter how often we ran them
>> off, used a BB gun and put the cat in protected quarters, they finally
>> came back after we went to bed after 4 a.m. and apparently dragged her
>> off. Those poor cats spent their entire lives hanging out in our back
>> yard or lounging on our deck. Ducks, geese, dogs, other cats,
>> everybody got along and didn't fuss each other. They weren't cats you
>> could pick up and cuddle. They had a covered basket on the picnic
>> table where they slept during the winter, otherwise they hung out
>> under the deck or in the basket. They weren't fighters. They were
>> getting older -- 14, but that was a bad way to go. I feel weepy all
>> day long.
>> Janet US

Yours were definitely not feral cats,they are ordinary house cats....
house cats haven't any outdoor survival skills, none!

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 22, 2020, 3:12:21 PM4/22/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:26:01 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

we would have except it is illegal to kill them :(

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 22, 2020, 3:16:03 PM4/22/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 14:18:17 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:
those cats were born outdoors to a feral female.

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 22, 2020, 3:17:37 PM4/22/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 13:39:21 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:
>You must have the Bothell breed of raccoons. Around here raccoons
>don't attack cats (much). Probably because the noise of the fight
>will attract the coyotes, which will come and eat both of them.
>
>-sw

These are two raccoons new to the neighborhood because previous
raccoons hung out with the cats and dogs. I'm thinking about alerting
Fish and Game to possible rabies.

jmcquown

Apr 22, 2020, 3:37:59 PM4/22/20
I'm very sorry to hear this. No wonder you feel weepy.

You mentioned in another reply possibly contacting Fish & Game. I think
that's a good idea. Raccoons can be nasty, sure, but going after two
cats two nights in a row sounds a bit aberrant.

Jill

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 22, 2020, 3:38:38 PM4/22/20
I can understand this if you live in a subdivision. But if no near neighbors
I'd kill them then drag them off to the woods or bury them far away from the
house.

jmcquown

Apr 22, 2020, 3:59:32 PM4/22/20
Ignore him. If they were born outside to a feral female and have never
been in your house they aren't "house cats". You can bet your sweet
bippy if a raccoon hurt or killed one of the ferals that eat on his
porch or hang out in his barn he'd be singing a different tune.

Jill

jmcquown

Apr 22, 2020, 4:25:04 PM4/22/20
On 4/22/2020 3:54 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 14:18:17 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> That's what happens when LAZY idiots allow house cats outside... very
>> obviously yours were not feral cats... were they feral cats they'd
>> know very well how to deal with raccoons and other wild critters...
>> house cats haven't a clue about how to survive outdoors.
>> Learn how to clean litter pans and you'd not have to let your house
>> cats outside.
>
> Sheldon the Know-It-All asshole strikes out again.
>
> -sw

You can be sure if it happened to one of the ferals he feeds he wouldn't
be saying such rude things to Janet right now.

Jill

Sheldon Martin

Apr 22, 2020, 4:47:02 PM4/22/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 16:25:00 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Janet is a stupid lazy cunt whose cats got what she and they
deserved.... she put thm out to save her from the price of litter and
having to clean litter pans.... dumb cunt!

Hank Rogers

Apr 22, 2020, 4:48:45 PM4/22/20
Why bother ... the buzzards will eat them within 24 hours.

Hank Rogers

Apr 22, 2020, 4:49:45 PM4/22/20
Popeye thinks his ferals are the only ones on the planet.

Sheldon Martin

Apr 22, 2020, 4:50:41 PM4/22/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 14:54:25 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 14:18:17 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> That's what happens when LAZY idiots allow house cats outside... very
>> obviously yours were not feral cats... were they feral cats they'd
>> know very well how to deal with raccoons and other wild critters...
>> house cats haven't a clue about how to survive outdoors.
>> Learn how to clean litter pans and you'd not have to let your house
>> cats outside.
>
>Sheldon the Know-It-All asshole strikes out again.
>
>-sw

I only wish I could put you out with the coyotes... dumb texassian.

Hank Rogers

Apr 22, 2020, 4:52:16 PM4/22/20
Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 14:18:17 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> That's what happens when LAZY idiots allow house cats outside... very
>> obviously yours were not feral cats... were they feral cats they'd
>> know very well how to deal with raccoons and other wild critters...
>> house cats haven't a clue about how to survive outdoors.
>> Learn how to clean litter pans and you'd not have to let your house
>> cats outside.
>
> Sheldon the Know-It-All asshole strikes out again.
>
> -sw

Popeye is a true polymath.

jmcquown

Apr 22, 2020, 5:15:21 PM4/22/20
What a rude thing to say. How about why didn't you bring inside all
your barn cats?

Jill

Dave Smith

Apr 22, 2020, 5:22:47 PM4/22/20
Many years ago our neighbour found a baby racoon and planned to raise it
and keep it for a pet. I told him I didn't think we could be friends
with a next door neighbour who had a pet racoon. He took the hint and
got rid of it.

Raccoons are a major pain in the ass in Toronto. They are everywhere
and they are a nuisance.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 22, 2020, 5:26:50 PM4/22/20
On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 3:48:45 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> >
> > I'd kill them then drag them off to the woods or bury them far away from the
> > house.
> >

> Why bother ... the buzzards will eat them within 24 hours.

I'd still not want them near the house.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 22, 2020, 5:30:41 PM4/22/20
On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 4:22:47 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> Many years ago our neighbour found a baby racoon and planned to raise it
> and keep it for a pet. I told him I didn't think we could be friends
> with a next door neighbour who had a pet racoon. He took the hint and
> got rid of it.

Forty-plus years ago my nephew had a pet baby raccoon. Its' mother had been
hit by a car and it was just a few weeks old, very tiny and very cute. As it
grew it got wilder and wilder and harder to control. He gave it to Opryland
when they had some animals for viewing on the premises.

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 22, 2020, 5:37:17 PM4/22/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 15:37:52 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
that's what I am going to do. We've always had raccoons around here
but never vicious ones. I was afraid of these.
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 22, 2020, 5:38:58 PM4/22/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 12:38:32 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 2:12:21 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:26:01 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>> Next
>> >time you see those 'coons use a .22.
>>
>> we would have except it is illegal to kill them :(
>>
>I can understand this if you live in a subdivision. But if no near neighbors
>I'd kill them then drag them off to the woods or bury them far away from the
>house.

we are in a subdivision. Neighbors close by. A couple of
tattletales.
Janet US

Dave Smith

Apr 22, 2020, 5:39:05 PM4/22/20
They are cute when they are young, but they are guaranteed to be a pain
in the ass when they get older.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 22, 2020, 5:49:47 PM4/22/20
On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 4:38:58 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> we are in a subdivision. Neighbors close by. A couple of
> tattletales.
> Janet US

Oooooh. Yes, call the game warden or wildlife resources. Hopefully,
they will come out and trap them and transport them f.a.r. away.

Bruce

Apr 22, 2020, 6:23:08 PM4/22/20
Are you still talking about raccoons or did you switch to people?

Hank Rogers

Apr 22, 2020, 7:12:51 PM4/22/20
Are you still sniffing jill's ass, or did you switch to dave's?

Sheldon Martin

Apr 22, 2020, 8:22:02 PM4/22/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 17:15:16 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
Our barn cats are all feral, they survive very well outdoors... they
know when preditors are about, they know to climb to the top of the
barn or a tree for safety, they know that coyotes can't climb.
House cats have no survival skills, house cats should never be let
outdoors.

barbie gee

Apr 22, 2020, 8:50:05 PM4/22/20

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> There was a 2-night attack by 2 raccoons on my 2 feral cats. The
> first day they crippled one cat's left hindquarters. The second day
> they chased and fought and disappeared with the other cat. That night
> they came back after the injured cat. No matter how often we ran them
> off, used a BB gun and put the cat in protected quarters, they finally
> came back after we went to bed after 4 a.m. and apparently dragged her
> off. Those poor cats spent their entire lives hanging out in our back
> yard or lounging on our deck. Ducks, geese, dogs, other cats,
> everybody got along and didn't fuss each other. They weren't cats you
> could pick up and cuddle. They had a covered basket on the picnic
> table where they slept during the winter, otherwise they hung out
> under the deck or in the basket. They weren't fighters. They were
> getting older -- 14, but that was a bad way to go. I feel weepy all
> day long.
> Janet US

sorry for the loss. Must be some racoon food source has dried up, and
they went after the kitties. Here in the city, the rats are getting
mighty hungry as restaurants are shut down or doing delivery/take-out
only. Rats are now getting brazen, and trying to find food in residential
areas.

Ecosystems disrupted.

Terry Coombs

Apr 22, 2020, 8:58:09 PM4/22/20
  You treat one of the regulars here like this after the outpouring of
sympathy from so many of us here when your fuckin' rat -oops , I meant
ferret - died recently ? What a lowlife piece of shit . I hope you die a
slow and painful death being torn apart by wild animals like those poor
cats . FWIW we have a cat too , and she very seldom comes in the house .
She may or may not have been feral , but it's HER choice to live
outdoors , not ours . And the woods here are filled with predators that
would love to have a a cat over for dinner .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Bruce

Apr 22, 2020, 9:01:08 PM4/22/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 19:58:51 -0500, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:

>On 4/22/2020 3:46 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 16:25:00 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 4/22/2020 3:54 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>>>
>>> You can be sure if it happened to one of the ferals he feeds he wouldn't
>>> be saying such rude things to Janet right now.
>>>
>>> Jill
>> Janet is a stupid lazy cunt whose cats got what she and they
>> deserved.... she put thm out to save her from the price of litter and
>> having to clean litter pans.... dumb cunt!
>
>   You treat one of the regulars here like this after the outpouring of
>sympathy from so many of us here when your fuckin' rat -oops , I meant
>ferret - died recently ? What a lowlife piece of shit . I hope you die a
>slow and painful death being torn apart by wild animals like those poor
>cats .

Congratulations, you have just stooped to the extremely low level
where Sheldon dwells. Two right-wing Americans...

jmcquown

Apr 22, 2020, 9:57:31 PM4/22/20
On 4/22/2020 8:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 4/22/2020 3:46 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 16:25:00 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>>> You can be sure if it happened to one of the ferals he feeds he wouldn't
>>> be saying such rude things to Janet right now.
>>>
>>> Jill
>> Janet is a stupid lazy cunt whose cats got what she and they
>> deserved.... she put thm out to save her from the price of litter and
>> having to clean litter pans.... dumb cunt!
>
>   You treat one of the regulars here like this after the outpouring of
> sympathy from so many of us here when your fuckin' rat -oops , I meant
> ferret -
(snippage)

No, it was Gary who had ferrets. Sheldon recently lost an indoor cat
named Jilly who died. No excuse for his unfeeling blethering when it
comes to the cats Janet US fed on the deck. Or about anyone's ferrets.

Jill

Terry Coombs

Apr 22, 2020, 11:09:49 PM4/22/20
  OK , I was thinking Jilly was a ferret (and my apologies to Gary) .
Either way , after all the sympathetic postings - mine included and I
hate the fucker but understand the loss - he pulls this kind of shit ? I
mean I've known for a long time now that he's an asshole , but this has
got to be a new low even for him <spit> .

Bruce

Apr 22, 2020, 11:13:03 PM4/22/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 22:10:43 -0500, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:
This <spit> is that a lower socio-economic alternative to an
exclamation mark?

Hank Rogers

Apr 22, 2020, 11:22:38 PM4/22/20
>>>    You treat one of the regulars here like this after the
>>> outpouring of sympathy from so many of us here when your fuckin'
>>> rat -oops , I meant ferret -
>> (snippage)
>>
>> No, it was Gary who had ferrets.  Sheldon recently lost an
>> indoor cat named Jilly who died.  No excuse for his unfeeling
>> blethering when it comes to the cats Janet US fed on the deck.Â
>> Or about anyone's ferrets.
>>
>> Jill
>
>   OK , I was thinking Jilly was a ferret (and my apologies to
> Gary) . Either way , after all the sympathetic postings - mine
> included and I hate the fucker but understand the loss - he pulls
> this kind of shit ? I mean I've known for a long time now that he's
> an asshole , but this has got to be a new low even for him <spit> .

Nope, he's gone quite a bit lower than that, in the past.

Lucretia Borgia

Apr 23, 2020, 7:05:27 AM4/23/20
It's quite common in NA to see men spitting unfortunately. That and
the chewing gum they spit out before going into a store or mall. It
costs stores a lot of money to have steam cleaners come to remove it.

Julie Bove

Apr 23, 2020, 7:31:12 AM4/23/20

"U.S. Janet B." <J...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> There was a 2-night attack by 2 raccoons on my 2 feral cats. The
> first day they crippled one cat's left hindquarters. The second day
> they chased and fought and disappeared with the other cat. That night
> they came back after the injured cat. No matter how often we ran them
> off, used a BB gun and put the cat in protected quarters, they finally
> came back after we went to bed after 4 a.m. and apparently dragged her
> off. Those poor cats spent their entire lives hanging out in our back
> yard or lounging on our deck. Ducks, geese, dogs, other cats,
> everybody got along and didn't fuss each other. They weren't cats you
> could pick up and cuddle. They had a covered basket on the picnic
> table where they slept during the winter, otherwise they hung out
> under the deck or in the basket. They weren't fighters. They were
> getting older -- 14, but that was a bad way to go. I feel weepy all
> day long.
> Janet US

Ohhh... That's so sad!

Bruce

Apr 23, 2020, 7:36:04 AM4/23/20
But isn't it one step more retarded to type <spit> in a newsgroup
post?

Gary

Apr 23, 2020, 8:06:36 AM4/23/20
John Kuthe wrote:
> Ferrets too! My Ex and I used to have ferrets!
> Bitey little critters, but they are a lot of fun too!

Easy to train not to bite hard.
Also easy to litter train.
They also don't "smell" contrary to popular myth.

They are lots of fun and become best friends too.
Similar to little playful puppy dogs all their lives.
Extremely loyal and loving. Photographic memories too.

Note: Ferret Day in the UK is May 5.
Interesting that Queen Elizabeth the first
had a pet ferret. Very cool of her, imo! :-D

Gary

Apr 23, 2020, 8:07:57 AM4/23/20
Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> It's quite common in NA to see men spitting unfortunately.

Have you ever watched a baseball game on tv? That's all the
players do constantly. That field must be fairly slimed by
time the game is over.

Many men really are pigs. Don't know what women see in
most of our kind.

Most mornings I'm outside in the pre-dawn darkness. So often
I'll hear some guy come out, take a large, loud and long
intake through their nose, then hock the snot up into their
mouths (again very loudly) followed by a loud spit. WTF?

All that could be done quietly but no. I guess they think
it's more manly to make it a loud event. That disgusts
me to no end.

Gary

Apr 23, 2020, 8:08:31 AM4/23/20
Bruce wrote:
> But isn't it one step more retarded to type <spit> in a newsgroup
> post?

Not really. You just don't hear Usain words/terms often.
We all know that it's just an expression of extreme disgust.
Nothing more. Nothing to critize.

Terry Coombs

Apr 23, 2020, 8:53:47 AM4/23/20
  Bwoosie just wants to sniff my ass and I won't let him . Swatting his
nose with a rolled up newspaper worked for a while , I'm about to move
up to a baseball bat .

Gary

Apr 23, 2020, 9:13:41 AM4/23/20
Terry Coombs wrote:

> On 4/23/2020 7:07 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Bruce wrote:
> >> But isn't it one step more retarded to type <spit> in a newsgroup
> >> post?
> > Not really. You just don't hear Usain words/terms often.
> > We all know that it's just an expression of extreme disgust.
> > Nothing more. Nothing to critize.
>
> Ā Bwoosie just wants to sniff my ass and I won't let him . Swatting his
> nose with a rolled up newspaper worked for a while , I'm about to move
> up to a baseball bat .

If Bruce ever moves to the US and talks like he does, someone
would just shoot him in the face. Quick and easy with no regrets.

Terry Coombs

Apr 23, 2020, 10:27:47 AM4/23/20
On 4/23/2020 8:12 AM, Gary wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>> Not really. You just don't hear Usain words/terms often.
>>> We all know that it's just an expression of extreme disgust.
>>> Nothing more. Nothing to critize.
>> Â Bwoosie just wants to sniff my ass and I won't let him . Swatting his
>> nose with a rolled up newspaper worked for a while , I'm about to move
>> up to a baseball bat .
> If Bruce ever moves to the US and talks like he does, someone
> would just shoot him in the face. Quick and easy with no regrets.

  And when it got to court , the guy that offed him could just show the
judge a few of his posts . Judge : "He needed killin' , and here's a
medal for doing it."

jmcquown

Apr 23, 2020, 11:21:15 AM4/23/20
On 4/23/2020 9:12 AM, Gary wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> Not really. You just don't hear Usain words/terms often.
>>> We all know that it's just an expression of extreme disgust.
>>> Nothing more. Nothing to critize.
>>
>> Â Bwoosie just wants to sniff my ass and I won't let him . Swatting his
>> nose with a rolled up newspaper worked for a while , I'm about to move
>> up to a baseball bat .
>
> If Bruce ever moves to the US and talks like he does, someone
> would just shoot him in the face. Quick and easy with no regrets.

The sad (as in pitiful) thing about Bruce is he really knows nothing
about the United States but he's great at making assumptions.

Jill

jmcquown

Apr 23, 2020, 11:25:27 AM4/23/20
I think that's a wise move, Janet. There are raccoons around here, too,
but the worst thing they've done is tear up a few of my bird feeders
over the years to get at the seed. That vicious, I'd be afraid of them,
too.

Jill

graham

Apr 23, 2020, 11:51:47 AM4/23/20
You mean all the movies and TV shows that are exported are not true
pictures of life in the States? :-)

jmcquown

Apr 23, 2020, 12:02:30 PM4/23/20
LOL. Of course, movies and TV shows always portray accurate pictues.

Jill

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 23, 2020, 12:11:09 PM4/23/20
> Nothing more. Nothing to criticize.

You took the words off the tips of my fingers. It's just an expression.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 23, 2020, 12:15:34 PM4/23/20
Well, in the South they do say "He needed killing" is a valid defense.

:o))

Sheldon Martin

Apr 23, 2020, 12:28:07 PM4/23/20
On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 21:57:26 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
Janet knows nothing about feral cats or she would have provided them
with ways to survive outdoors... living in her backyard in a basket
and under a deck gaurantees the preditors will get them.... feral cats
must have several high places to climb to escape. Our ferals shelter
in our barn where they can climb 30' to the top on the rafters and cat
walks where raccoons and coyotes can't reach, plus there are lots of
tall trees; feral cats can climb trees like squirrels.
Janet's cats may not have been feral, we have some cats that come here
to eat but they are not feral, they belong to someone nearby who lets
them out, probably to save on cat food and cleaning cat litter. Those
cats won't let us pet them and won't run off unless we get too close,
but they are not feral.

Sheldon Martin

Apr 23, 2020, 12:38:14 PM4/23/20
The're just hacking up and spitting out all the semen they swallowed
that night... same as baseball players do in the locker room and spit
all over the ball field... baseball is definitely a faggot game.

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 23, 2020, 1:00:45 PM4/23/20
On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 12:27:59 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:
snip
>Janet knows nothing about feral cats or she would have provided them
>with ways to survive outdoors... living in her backyard in a basket
>and under a deck gaurantees the preditors will get them.... feral cats
>must have several high places to climb to escape. Our ferals shelter
>in our barn where they can climb 30' to the top on the rafters and cat
>walks where raccoons and coyotes can't reach, plus there are lots of
>tall trees; feral cats can climb trees like squirrels.
>Janet's cats may not have been feral, we have some cats that come here
>to eat but they are not feral, they belong to someone nearby who lets
>them out, probably to save on cat food and cleaning cat litter. Those
>cats won't let us pet them and won't run off unless we get too close,
>but they are not feral.

Pssst! Raccoons are great climbers, fast too.

KenK

Apr 23, 2020, 1:31:27 PM4/23/20
U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com> wrote in

> There was a 2-night attack by 2 raccoons on my 2 feral cats. The
> first day they crippled one cat's left hindquarters. The second day
> they chased and fought and disappeared with the other cat. That night
> they came back after the injured cat. No matter how often we ran them
> off, used a BB gun and put the cat in protected quarters, they finally
> came back after we went to bed after 4 a.m. and apparently dragged her
> off. Those poor cats spent their entire lives hanging out in our back
> yard or lounging on our deck. Ducks, geese, dogs, other cats,
> everybody got along and didn't fuss each other. They weren't cats you
> could pick up and cuddle. They had a covered basket on the picnic
> table where they slept during the winter, otherwise they hung out
> under the deck or in the basket. They weren't fighters. They were
> getting older -- 14, but that was a bad way to go. I feel weepy all
> day long.
> Janet US

In the future, consider Rodent Sheriff (peppermint spray) to drive off
the coons. I've never tried it on coons but the box label says it works
and it does work on mice.

Hank Rogers

Apr 23, 2020, 2:04:01 PM4/23/20
Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 4/23/2020 7:07 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> But isn't it one step more retarded to type <spit> in a newsgroup
>>> post?
>> Not really. You just don't hear Usain words/terms often.
>> We all know that it's just an expression of extreme disgust.
>> Nothing more. Nothing to critize.
>
>   Bwoosie just wants to sniff my ass and I won't let him .
> Swatting his nose with a rolled up newspaper worked for a while ,
> I'm about to move up to a baseball bat .

Yah, but it's still better than having Popeye try to give yoose a
rim job :)

Bruce

Apr 23, 2020, 2:20:34 PM4/23/20
LOL, as if <spit> is an American expression.

Bruce

Apr 23, 2020, 2:21:38 PM4/23/20
On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 07:54:05 -0500, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:

>On 4/23/2020 7:07 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> But isn't it one step more retarded to type <spit> in a newsgroup
>>> post?
>> Not really. You just don't hear Usain words/terms often.
>> We all know that it's just an expression of extreme disgust.
>> Nothing more. Nothing to critize.
>
>   Bwoosie just wants to sniff my ass and I won't let him . Swatting his
>nose with a rolled up newspaper worked for a while , I'm about to move
>up to a baseball bat .

Snag is such a tough guy. <spit>

Bruce

Apr 23, 2020, 2:27:02 PM4/23/20
On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 09:12:27 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>Terry Coombs wrote:

>> > Not really. You just don't hear Usain words/terms often.
>> > We all know that it's just an expression of extreme disgust.
>> > Nothing more. Nothing to critize.
>>
>> Â Bwoosie just wants to sniff my ass and I won't let him . Swatting his
>> nose with a rolled up newspaper worked for a while , I'm about to move
>> up to a baseball bat .
>
>If Bruce ever moves to the US and talks like he does, someone
>would just shoot him in the face. Quick and easy with no regrets.

Calling Snag a retard is hardly unamerican.

Bruce

Apr 23, 2020, 2:27:14 PM4/23/20
On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 09:28:23 -0500, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:
<spit>

Bruce

Apr 23, 2020, 2:27:58 PM4/23/20
Funny how I get all the extreme right wingers worked up without even
trying. I call it a talent.

Bruce

Apr 23, 2020, 2:28:32 PM4/23/20
On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 11:21:10 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
I don't assume anything. I just read this newsgroup. <spit>

Bruce

Apr 23, 2020, 2:29:07 PM4/23/20
And Snag is the only one here who uses it.

Sheldon Martin

Apr 23, 2020, 2:46:14 PM4/23/20
On 4/23/2020 2:28 PM, Bruce wrote:
> I don't assume anything. I just read this newsgroup. <spit>

You usually swallow, pillow biter.

Sheldon Martin

Apr 23, 2020, 2:47:11 PM4/23/20

Sheldon Martin

Apr 23, 2020, 2:48:04 PM4/23/20
On 4/23/2020 2:26 PM, Bruce wrote:
> Calling Snag a retard is hardly unamerican.

Calling you a sissy wankstain is accurate.

graham

Apr 23, 2020, 2:48:05 PM4/23/20
I cut the grass on my lawns fairly frequently to keep the zebras at bay.
It seems to work:-)

Sheldon Martin

Apr 23, 2020, 2:48:38 PM4/23/20
On 4/23/2020 2:21 PM, Bruce wrote:
> Snag is such a tough guy. <spit>

songbird

Apr 23, 2020, 3:25:15 PM4/23/20
Dave Smith wrote:
> Raccoons are a major pain in the ass in Toronto. They are everywhere
> and they are a nuisance.

they can be if you have outdoor animals you keep and you
don't have a good enough fence in to keep them out or if
you try to grow things they like to eat.

otherwise i hardly notice them being around compared to
what the deer, rabbits or groundhogs do.

we don't have outdoor pets or animals of any kind other
than the rest of the wildlife and we don't try to grow
sweet corn.

when i do notice them it is usually when they are
mating - it sounds like someone is gonna die.

we have skunks, possums and other creatures around too
besides raccoons and the rest.

songbird

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2020, 3:58:57 PM4/23/20
On 2020-04-23 2:52 p.m., songbird wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Raccoons are a major pain in the ass in Toronto. They are everywhere
>> and they are a nuisance.
>
> they can be if you have outdoor animals you keep and you
> don't have a good enough fence in to keep them out or if
> you try to grow things they like to eat.
>
> otherwise i hardly notice them being aroun

A good enough fence to keep raccoons out? Are you serious? You can't
keep raccoons out.

U.S. Janet B.

Apr 23, 2020, 4:26:25 PM4/23/20
thank you. There is no keeping raccoons out. As said, we don't
notice them unless there is a big fight going on between a couple
raccoons. Then it sounds like a bar room fight in an old western.

Sheldon Martin

Apr 23, 2020, 5:02:08 PM4/23/20
On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 14:26:13 -0600, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:
Raccoons are easy to keep out, a sturdy metal fence with a metal fence
over the top. It's also easy to keep raccoons, and other preditors,
out of a shelter used for cats, there are pass doors one can set for
entry or exit. Done correctly preditors will give up within a few
hours. of course cat security costs a few dollars, plus a little
labor, and the ones who truly don't care won't exert themselves, at
best all they'll supply is a friggin' basket under their schtinkin'
deck. Hahahahahahahahaha
Those cats got ripped apart because shit for brains is too lazy and
too uncaring.

Sheldon Martin

Apr 23, 2020, 5:09:39 PM4/23/20
On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 15:59:19 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

It's very easy to keep raccoons out unless you're a very lazy cheap
bastard.

jmcquown

Apr 23, 2020, 5:13:40 PM4/23/20
Raccoons can't only climb fences they can take the lids off of trash cans.

Jill

jmcquown

Apr 23, 2020, 5:14:43 PM4/23/20
No, it's not.

Jill

Bruce

Apr 23, 2020, 5:16:47 PM4/23/20
On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 17:13:34 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
They sound like Australian possums <spit>

Ed Pawlowski

Apr 23, 2020, 5:26:24 PM4/23/20
I'd not want to tangle with one. A couple of days ago my Ring doorbell
caught a fox walking down my front walk. They tend to avoid humans though.

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2020, 5:37:20 PM4/23/20
On 2020-04-23 4:26 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> A good enough fence to keep raccoons out? Are you serious? You can't
>> keep raccoons out.
>
> thank you. There is no keeping raccoons out. As said, we don't
> notice them unless there is a big fight going on between a couple
> raccoons. Then it sounds like a bar room fight in an old western.

I rarely see raccoons here, though I see tracks in the snow or in the
dirt, and I see lots of dead ones by the the road. What is more common
than seeing them, even dead ones, is raccoon fights right across the
road from us. I like to sleep with the windows open when it's reasonably
warm out. For some reason the little beggars seem to want to have turf
wars less than 100ft from my window.

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2020, 5:42:36 PM4/23/20
On 2020-04-23 5:02 p.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 14:26:13 -0600, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
> wrote:

>> thank you. There is no keeping raccoons out. As said, we don't
>> notice them unless there is a big fight going on between a couple
>> raccoons. Then it sounds like a bar room fight in an old western.
>
> Raccoons are easy to keep out, a sturdy metal fence with a metal fence
> over the top. It's also easy to keep raccoons, and other preditors,

Are the raccoons in your neighbourhood retarded? If there is something
on the other side of a fence that a raccoon wants it will get it. The
only reason your dim witted raccoon did not outsmart your fence was that
there was not something tempting enough on the other side. The city of
Toronto spent a lot of money to procure raccoon proof green bins but the
critters figured it out.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/08/30/toronto-built-a-better-green-bin-and-oops-maybe-a-smarter-raccoon.html

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2020, 5:43:18 PM4/23/20
Yep, but you can't use a 12 gauge in built up areas.

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2020, 5:47:36 PM4/23/20
On 2020-04-23 5:26 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I'd not want to tangle with one.  A couple of days ago my Ring doorbell
> caught a fox walking down my front walk.  They tend to avoid humans though.

We live in a rural area. Despite seeing tracks, scat and road kill I
rarely see critters like foxes, coyotes and raccoons. My son went to
Montreal for school and lived there for about 10 years and then moved to
Toronto. His first week in Toronto he say a fox, a coyote and several
raccoons.

Hank Rogers

Apr 23, 2020, 5:56:52 PM4/23/20
Shotgun with #6 shot, rabbit/squirrel loads usually works good.

You don't need magnum #4 loads like turkey,or duck loads.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 23, 2020, 6:44:46 PM4/23/20
On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 4:42:36 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/08/30/toronto-built-a-better-green-bin-and-oops-maybe-a-smarter-raccoon.html

Did you see that little bastard move that trash can and turn it over?? I'm
sure he was disappointed the lid did pop open!

Hank Rogers

Apr 23, 2020, 8:30:51 PM4/23/20
I've shot several hundred coons out of trees over the years.

I've only seen a few foxes, and they were out of rifle range. There
was a fox hunt club about 50 miles away ... I think it was rich
guys club ... ride horses on fox hunts.

Hank Rogers

Apr 23, 2020, 8:32:44 PM4/23/20
Toronto is a jungle. Lots of american coons, and russians too.

Gary

Apr 26, 2020, 8:37:43 AM4/26/20
jmcquown wrote:
> LOL. Of course, movies and TV shows always portray accurate pictures.

Not too long ago, some non-usain commented that americans
smile too much. heh heh

Very funny to me because I know exactly where that came from
and it's a pet peeve of mine too. American commercials!

No matter what is advertised, we see people with full smiles,
showing all teeth and even gums. Many commercials show
people doing silly dances (with full smiles), no matter
what product is being advertised. No matter what, all
commercials show everyone with Cheshire Cat smiles.

That nonsense annoys me to no end.
In *real* american day to day life, it's very rare to see
that.

Jinx the Minx

Apr 26, 2020, 12:26:35 PM4/26/20
Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>> Ferrets too! My Ex and I used to have ferrets!
>> Bitey little critters, but they are a lot of fun too!
>
> Easy to train not to bite hard.
> Also easy to litter train.
> They also don't "smell" contrary to popular myth.
>
> They are lots of fun and become best friends too.
> Similar to little playful puppy dogs all their lives.
> Extremely loyal and loving. Photographic memories too.
>
> Note: Ferret Day in the UK is May 5.
> Interesting that Queen Elizabeth the first
> had a pet ferret. Very cool of her, imo! :-D

They only don’t smell to those who live with them and become desensitized
to it. For the rest of us visitors, their scent is unmistakable.

Gary

Apr 26, 2020, 1:04:55 PM4/26/20
Not true at all. The smell you get as a visitor is from ferrets
going to the bathroom in every corner unless they are litter
trained. Not many owners take the time to do that. As I said
before, they are very high maintenence pets.

Their bodies/fur don't smell any more than cats or dogs do.
Shame on you for believing such a common myth.

https://www.hostpic.org/images/1911142152320091.jpg

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 26, 2020, 7:02:57 PM4/26/20
On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 12:04:55 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Their bodies/fur don't smell any more than cats or dogs do.
> Shame on you for believing such a common myth.
>
> https://www.hostpic.org/images/1911142152320091.jpg

Well, my nephew had a pet ferret and it would mark its' territory and it
was a VERY distinctive odor. Maybe because its' scent glands had not
been removed but it was quite pungent.

dsi1

Apr 27, 2020, 4:36:37 AM4/27/20
Ferrets are illegal on this rock but I have been to a ferret house on the mainland. I don't know if they're marking their territory but something was sure going on smell-wise.

I like to let my cat outside every so often. I want him to go up and down our walkway and stake out his claim to the path. This is effective at keeping the chickens off and prevents them from crapping all over the place. The condo should pay us for this important service - hehe.

Gary

Apr 27, 2020, 11:32:47 AM4/27/20
Actually, marking territory is a urine thing, not a scent
gland thing. His ferret wasn't spayed/neutered. My one
male ferret was.