Found in the local Mercado

isw

Mar 1, 2015, 12:18:29 AM3/1/15
In the local Mercado (California, north of San Francisco), there is an
open corrugated cardboard box filled with "bulk-packed" (i.e. unwrapped)
3-4" orange squares of some sort of pasta-looking stuff; they are hard
and dry. There is not a useful product name on the box, but the
ingredient list indicates the things are mostly wheat flour and corn
starch. After being curious for several visits, today I asked the
checker while she was ringing up my purchase, and she said (English is
not her first language) that you fry them, they puff up, and you put --
something -- on them and eat them.

What is this item called, and/or what is the finished dish called?
Recipes?

Isaac

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2015, 2:14:43 AM3/1/15
Prefab sopapillas? They are deep fried, they puff up, and you put
sugar and cinnamon on them.

Julie Bove

Mar 1, 2015, 6:29:09 AM3/1/15

<spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
No. I have seen the stuff. Perhaps in CA? Pasta, for sure. Probably a
version of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duros_%28food%29

Michel Boucher

Mar 1, 2015, 10:47:14 AM3/1/15
"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in

>>> What is this item called, and/or what is the finished dish
>>> called? Recipes?
>>
>> Prefab sopapillas? They are deep fried, they puff up, and you
>> put sugar and cinnamon on them.
>
> No. I have seen the stuff. Perhaps in CA? Pasta, for sure.
> Probably a version of this.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duros_%28food%29

Reminds me of churros.

--

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --

Julie Bove

Mar 1, 2015, 6:57:56 PM3/1/15

"Michel Boucher" <alsa...@g.mail.com> wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in

>>> Prefab sopapillas? They are deep fried, they puff up, and you
>>> put sugar and cinnamon on them.
>>
>> No. I have seen the stuff. Perhaps in CA? Pasta, for sure.
>> Probably a version of this.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duros_%28food%29
>
> Reminds me of churros.

Churros are sweet.

Michel Boucher

Mar 2, 2015, 9:44:19 AM3/2/15
"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in news:md090m$7gu$1
@dont-email.me:

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duros_%28food%29
>>
>> Reminds me of churros.
>
> Churros are sweet.

I said it reminded me of churros. And the churros I am familar
with are not sweet.

Julie Bove

Mar 2, 2015, 7:36:11 PM3/2/15

> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in news:md090m$7gu$1
> @dont-email.me:

>>> Reminds me of churros.
>>
>> Churros are sweet.
>
> I said it reminded me of churros. And the churros I am familar
> with are not sweet.

What kind of churros aren't sweet? They're essentially a donut.

Michel Boucher

Mar 3, 2015, 2:42:14 PM3/3/15
"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in news:md2vkb$t0s$1
@dont-email.me:

>> I said it reminded me of churros. And the churros I am familar
>> with are not sweet.
>
> What kind of churros aren't sweet? They're essentially a donut.

In Spain, churros are just circles of plain fried dough. You dip
them in coffee. They are not sweet although some people do
sprinkle sugar on them.

Julie Bove

Mar 3, 2015, 5:12:37 PM3/3/15

> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in news:md2vkb$t0s$1
> @dont-email.me:
>
>>> I said it reminded me of churros. And the churros I am familar
>>> with are not sweet.
>>
>> What kind of churros aren't sweet? They're essentially a donut.
>
> In Spain, churros are just circles of plain fried dough. You dip
> them in coffee. They are not sweet although some people do
> sprinkle sugar on them.

Here they are like the ones in the pic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churro

The dough itself is likely not sweet but there is usually sugar or cinnamon
and sugar on the outside and they are usually dipped in something sweet.

Michel Boucher

Mar 3, 2015, 6:28:47 PM3/3/15

> Here they are like the ones in the pic.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churro
>
> The dough itself is likely not sweet but there is usually
> sugar or cinnamon and sugar on the outside and they are
> usually dipped in something sweet.

And in Spain they are like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churro#mediaviewer/File:Calentitos.jpg

They say that in Andalusia "the word churro is hardly used, with
the word "Calientes" or "Calentitos de rueda" being the preferred
term" but the whole time I lived in provincia Málaga, which was
long enough to learn the language, they were referred to as
churros. There might be different terms in other parts of
Andalusia.

Julie Bove

Mar 3, 2015, 8:38:07 PM3/3/15

> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in
>
>> Here they are like the ones in the pic.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churro
>>
>> The dough itself is likely not sweet but there is usually
>> sugar or cinnamon and sugar on the outside and they are
>> usually dipped in something sweet.
>
> And in Spain they are like this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churro#mediaviewer/File:Calentitos.jpg
>
> They say that in Andalusia "the word churro is hardly used, with
> the word "Calientes" or "Calentitos de rueda" being the preferred
> term" but the whole time I lived in provincia Málaga, which was
> long enough to learn the language, they were referred to as
> churros. There might be different terms in other parts of
> Andalusia.

Dang, but those look good! I have not actually liked the churros that I've
tried which were likely the frozen kind. I don't know of any Spanish
restaurants here any more. Used to be one in the U District. I loved it!
We do have Tapas places but they also serve Greek fare.

Michel Boucher

Mar 4, 2015, 10:08:12 AM3/4/15

> Dang, but those look good! I have not actually liked the
> churros that I've tried which were likely the frozen kind. I
> don't know of any Spanish restaurants here any more. Used to
> be one in the U District. I loved it! We do have Tapas places
> but they also serve Greek fare.

And the tapas they serve in North America are not at all like bar
tapas in southern rural Spain, usually a small piece of bread with
a sliver of cheese or ham or potato omelet. They are offered free
with each drink (for example, a copa de montilla [xeres]) so you
don't get drunk as fast.

spamtr...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2015, 1:30:44 PM3/4/15
On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 7:08:12 AM UTC-8, Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in
>
> > Dang, but those look good! I have not actually liked the
> > churros that I've tried which were likely the frozen kind. I
> > don't know of any Spanish restaurants here any more. Used to
> > be one in the U District. I loved it! We do have Tapas places
> > but they also serve Greek fare.
>
> And the tapas they serve in North America are not at all like bar
> tapas in southern rural Spain, usually a small piece of bread with
> a sliver of cheese or ham or potato omelet. They are offered free
> with each drink (for example, a copa de montilla [xeres]) so you
> don't get drunk as fast.

I was surprised to be offered free corn nuts. Who knew they were a thing
in Espana?

Michel Boucher

Mar 4, 2015, 2:59:19 PM3/4/15
spamtr...@gmail.com wrote in

>> And the tapas they serve in North America are not at all like
>> bar tapas in southern rural Spain, usually a small piece of
>> bread with a sliver of cheese or ham or potato omelet. They
>> are offered free with each drink (for example, a copa de
>> montilla [xeres]) so you don't get drunk as fast.
>
> I was surprised to be offered free corn nuts. Who knew they
> were a thing in Espana?

In Andalucia? I can only speak for Andalucia where I lived.

Julie Bove

Mar 4, 2015, 5:56:03 PM3/4/15

> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in
>
>> Dang, but those look good! I have not actually liked the
>> churros that I've tried which were likely the frozen kind. I
>> don't know of any Spanish restaurants here any more. Used to
>> be one in the U District. I loved it! We do have Tapas places
>> but they also serve Greek fare.
>
> And the tapas they serve in North America are not at all like bar
> tapas in southern rural Spain, usually a small piece of bread with
> a sliver of cheese or ham or potato omelet. They are offered free
> with each drink (for example, a copa de montilla [xeres]) so you
> don't get drunk as fast.

Tapas here is damned expensive!