OT: liver biopsy

MaryL

Oct 24, 2016, 4:44:26 PM10/24/16
This is *way* OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
Friday. Have any of you had that procedure? If so, can you give me any
information on the procedure? My ANA results are "markedly positive."
There is a possibility of fatty liver or autoimmune problem. I should
know more after the biopsy.

Let's have no jokes about beef liver, please. ;o)

MaryL

Jeßus

Oct 24, 2016, 4:52:43 PM10/24/16
Or nothing involving some fava beans and a nice chianti.
Good luck with it.

lucreti...@fl.it

Oct 24, 2016, 5:41:17 PM10/24/16
On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 15:44:24 -0500, MaryL
<stan...@invalid.yahoo.com> wrote:

Good Luck Mary!

jmcquown

Oct 24, 2016, 5:53:42 PM10/24/16
I have no knowledge of this procedure but I will keep my fingers crossed
for a good result!

Jill

dsi1

Oct 24, 2016, 6:25:42 PM10/24/16
Sorry to hear this I hope everything turns out well. Take care.

cshenk

Oct 24, 2016, 6:53:57 PM10/24/16
MaryL wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> This is way OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
Good luck MaryL, I know little of this as you describe it.

What little I know speaks to Lupus (related to ANA tests). Before you
freak, there (if Lupus) are many types and the onset in women is
generally around age 40 with a normal lifespan for most.

50% of my Doctors swear I have SLE (Lupus version) but the USA Veteran
Association (VA) will not count it unless the ANA test is positive.
Problem is they don't track 20% do not test positive. (at least early).

If it is Lupus, the I have probably had it since about year 2000. I'm
still here.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 24, 2016, 7:46:10 PM10/24/16
I'm going to join the crowd and admit I know nothing of this
procedure but GOOD LUCK!!

Nancy Young

Oct 24, 2016, 8:05:53 PM10/24/16
On 10/24/2016 4:44 PM, MaryL wrote:
I never joke about beef liver!

I'm sorry I can't help you but sending my best of wishes it all
comes out well.

nancy

Dik & Chris Browne

Oct 24, 2016, 9:45:27 PM10/24/16
Such a ray of sunshine you are.

jinx the minx

Oct 24, 2016, 10:23:46 PM10/24/16
I haven't had a liver biopsy, but I can speak to autoimmune diseases if
that becomes the case and you wish to talk about it (privately). The good
news is that antinuclear antibodies (ANA) are commonly present even in
healthy individuals, and the percentage of people that test false positive
goes up with age. Take it one step at a time, and try not to stress about
possible outcomes. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

--
jinx the minx

Brooklyn1

Oct 24, 2016, 11:25:43 PM10/24/16
On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 15:44:24 -0500, MaryL
<stan...@invalid.yahoo.com> wrote:

Living in The Catskills I only know chopped chicken liver jokes... I
hope you are okay.

Cheri

Oct 25, 2016, 2:07:33 AM10/25/16

"MaryL" <stan...@invalid.yahoo.com> wrote in message
No, but I wish the best for you. This explains the procedure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBxnIjnLEoI

Janet

Oct 25, 2016, 6:41:44 AM10/25/16
In article <46745422.499053983.336...@news.eternal-
september.org>, jinx...@yahoo.com says...
There must be other symptoms to warrant a liver biopsy.
Misplaced assurances or diagnoses really aren't reassuring.

Janet UK

The Cook

Oct 25, 2016, 6:59:11 AM10/25/16
On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 23:06:57 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
I missed your original post but yes, I have had two liver biopsies.
The procedure is not too bad. I was awake for both and it only takes
a few minutes for the actual procedure.

Be sure to eat and drink before the "no food or water" time.

If you want to "chat" one to one send me an email to the address
shown. I do not check it often but will for the next few days.

God luck.
--
Susan N.

MaryL

Oct 25, 2016, 7:57:56 AM10/25/16
Ironically, there have not been any symptoms at all. From what I have
read, that is common. The problem was picked up in a routine blood
test. That was followed with another blood test that confirmed the
result. My doctor then referred me to a gastroenterologist. He ordered
a more specialized lab test plus a sonogram. I have also had an MRI.
All of this led to the prescription for a CT liver biopsy.

MaryL

Gary

Oct 25, 2016, 8:29:35 AM10/25/16
MaryL wrote:

> Ironically, there have not been any symptoms at all. From what I have
> read, that is common. The problem was picked up in a routine blood
> test. That was followed with another blood test that confirmed the
> result. My doctor then referred me to a gastroenterologist. He ordered
> a more specialized lab test plus a sonogram. I have also had an MRI.
> All of this led to the prescription for a CT liver biopsy.

Best wishes for you, MaryL.
After the biopsy, go out and eat your favorite meal! :-D

Ophelia

Oct 25, 2016, 10:02:07 AM10/25/16
"Gary" wrote in message news:580F5011...@att.net...
===============

+1 :))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

jinx the minx

Oct 25, 2016, 10:30:57 AM10/25/16
"Misplaced assurances"? Wow.

--
jinx the minx

MaryL

Oct 25, 2016, 10:41:47 AM10/25/16
On 10/25/2016 5:41 AM, Janet wrote:
Thank you. I will keep your offer in mind, and I will contact you
privately if autoimmune disease becomes the case.

MaryL

Gary

Oct 25, 2016, 11:24:50 AM10/25/16
A very rare, but nice meal for me is even just KFC dark meat, side of
mashed potatoes and gravy, side of coleslaw and those dumbass biscuits.
In the old days, they served soft rolls and butter...much better, imo.
Anyway, I'm just waiting for coupons to show up. KFC is a bit overpriced
for what they offer without a decent coupon.

I like many fast foods but I rarely buy them. For this reason, they are
a very nice treat to me when I actually do buy some.

Ophelia

Oct 25, 2016, 11:56:46 AM10/25/16
"jinx the minx" wrote in message
jinx the minx

============

Janet UK is an expert you know. She used to be a hospital cleaner and knows
everything medical.

She used to complain bitterly about having to clean bedpans but I am sure it
gave her a wealth of experience.

She is also the Google Queen so she might have found the answer. What do I
know:(((

Just be careful of taking her advice. Most of us wouldn't dare give any.

O who doesn't live in a Shopping Centre!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

MaryL

Oct 25, 2016, 12:38:18 PM10/25/16
Thank you. I am always interested in information I can get from various
sources, but I am also careful. I tend to take questions about any
information I pick up from various sources to my doctor for his evaluation.

MaryL

Ophelia

Oct 25, 2016, 12:48:40 PM10/25/16
"MaryL" wrote in message news:e79g3m...@mid.individual.net...
============

Please take care, Mary. Your doctors will know better than anyone here.

I along with most here, wish you well and hope all goes well for you.

We are thinking of you!

Best always.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

lucreti...@fl.it

Oct 25, 2016, 12:54:24 PM10/25/16
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 11:38:14 -0500, MaryL
<stan...@invalid.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thank you. I am always interested in information I can get from various
>sources, but I am also careful. I tend to take questions about any
>information I pick up from various sources to my doctor for his evaluation.
>
>MaryL

Very wise Mary!

jinx the minx

Oct 25, 2016, 12:54:30 PM10/25/16
Having emptied a bedpan or two or 200 myself, I know you are right.
There's a wealth of experience to be learned by it. LOL

--
jinx the minx

Ophelia

Oct 25, 2016, 1:08:09 PM10/25/16
"jinx the minx" wrote in message
jinx the minx

=============

So you are an expert too eh ;-) We need to keep a list if experts so we
know who to consult:))

<g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

jinx the minx

Oct 25, 2016, 1:11:11 PM10/25/16
That is very wise. I apologize if my post sounded dismissive of your test
result in any way, because that was not my intent. It was meant only to
say, try not to worry yourself sicker while going through this diagnostic
process. We all wish you the best.

--
jinx the minx

jinx the minx

Oct 25, 2016, 1:16:43 PM10/25/16
I wouldn't claim to be an expert. LOL

--
jinx the minx

Ophelia

Oct 25, 2016, 1:23:03 PM10/25/16
"jinx the minx" wrote in message
jinx the minx
============

Most people wouldn't, but you are not 'most people' you are honest and can
be respected.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Nunya Bidnits

Oct 25, 2016, 1:32:47 PM10/25/16

"MaryL" wrote in message news:e77a56...@mid.individual.net...

>This is *way* OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
Friday. Have any of you had that procedure? If so, can you give me any
information on the procedure? My ANA results are "markedly positive."
There is a possibility of fatty liver or autoimmune problem. I should
know more after the biopsy.>

Trans-jugular? If so, I have. The point was to reduce bleeding risk due to
low platelets. Probe is guided through jugular and arteries to the interior
of the liver where a fine needle sample is taken. I don't know that the
imaging was CT based but they could see what they were doing. It was
"conscious sedation" so I could hear and see a screen where they were
guiding things but was too out of it to pay any attention. That was a long
time ago, no more worries here. Good luck!

MartyB

MartyB

jinx the minx

Oct 25, 2016, 1:41:09 PM10/25/16
Thank you, I appreciate that.

--
jinx the minx

tert in seattle

Oct 25, 2016, 2:30:05 PM10/25/16
MaryL wrote:
> This is *way* OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
> Friday. Have any of you had that procedure? If so, can you give me any
> information on the procedure? My ANA results are "markedly positive."
> There is a possibility of fatty liver or autoimmune problem. I should
> know more after the biopsy.
>
> Let's have no jokes about beef liver, please. ;o)
>
> MaryL

there was a doctor in the liver transplant unit at U of Chicago who could
hardly see but he was the best at liver biopsies from what I was told

cshenk

Oct 25, 2016, 10:51:22 PM10/25/16
Dik & Chris Browne wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Lupus isnt fun but I suspect your lack of indication on what relation
you have to it may have others misread your message.

I'm shorter livespan for it but 75 vs 85.

jinx the minx

Oct 25, 2016, 11:15:42 PM10/25/16
Actually, with proper medical care and follow up, most people with lupus
live a normal life expectancy, not a reduced one. It is only the sickest
of the sick that die early from complications. Since you aren't even
clinically diagnosable, I highly doubt you can claim your life expectancy
is less because of it.

--
jinx the minx

The Greatest!

Oct 26, 2016, 11:16:35 AM10/26/16
MaryL wrote:

> This is *way* OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
> Friday. Have any of you had that procedure? If so, can you give me any
> information on the procedure? My ANA results are "markedly positive."
> There is a possibility of fatty liver or autoimmune problem. I should
> know more after the biopsy.
>
> Let's have no jokes about beef liver, please. ;o)

Hope all turns out well for you, good luck!

--
Best
Greg

cshenk

Oct 26, 2016, 5:08:41 PM10/26/16
jinx the minx wrote in rec.food.cooking:
It's hard to say but in my case, it was based on areas affected and
what studies show for SLE with RA subset likely. Probably not a
shortened lifespan if under treatment for it. With no diagnosis
though, VA will not treat it. Thats what means I may (of the 50% Docs
are right) last a little less.

Anyways, I due to be retested in a few months.

cshenk

Oct 26, 2016, 5:14:41 PM10/26/16
MaryL wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 10/25/2016 10:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > "jinx the minx" wrote in message
> > ptember.org...
> >

> >Janet <nob...@home.com> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <46745422.499053983.336...@news.eternal-
> > > september.org>, jinx...@yahoo.com says...

Yup. Just like I know ANA levels can mean several things. Hope all is
ok!

Nunya Bidnits

Oct 26, 2016, 6:22:48 PM10/26/16
I tried to reply to this but I never saw my post come up so not sure if
anyone else saw it or not. Sorry if it's a dupe.

"MaryL" wrote in message news:e77a56...@mid.individual.net...

>This is *way* OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
Friday. Have any of you had that procedure? If so, can you give me any
information on the procedure? My ANA results are "markedly positive."
There is a possibility of fatty liver or autoimmune problem. I should
know more after the biopsy.>

jinx the minx

Oct 26, 2016, 7:58:48 PM10/26/16
Or it can mean nothing.

--
jinx the minx

col...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2016, 7:46:19 AM10/27/16
An ultrasound test would show if you had a fatty liver or not.

jinx the minx

Oct 27, 2016, 11:42:57 AM10/27/16
<col...@gmail.com> wrote:
> An ultrasound test would show if you had a fatty liver or not.

And sometimes other tests are warranted. Ultrasounds aren't always
conclusive, and further, some forms of fatty liver can cause inflammation
and scarring, causing cirrhosis. A biopsy can diagnose the nature and
extent of it. An ultrasound cannot.

--
jinx the minx

John Kuthe

Oct 27, 2016, 11:56:40 AM10/27/16
Very good, you sound like a patient with good critical analysis skills.

Yes, a biopsy is basically a procedure to obtain a very small sample of cellular tissue to look at it under a microscope and see if there is any evidence of cancerous cells. The only real objective way to obtain the evidence of cancers. All the "marker" tests merely look for bloodborne evidence of possible cancers somewhere in the body. A liver biopsy looks at the liver tissue itself for evidence of cancers in your liver.

John Kuthe, RN....

MaryL

Oct 27, 2016, 12:59:56 PM10/27/16
On 10/27/2016 6:46 AM, col...@gmail.com wrote:
> An ultrasound test would show if you had a fatty liver or not.

I have already had an ultrasound but need additional testing (thus, the
liver biopsy).

MaryL

jinx the minx

Oct 27, 2016, 1:59:23 PM10/27/16
>>> Janet UK is an expert you know. She used to be a hospital cleaner and knows
>>> everything medical.
>>>
>>> She used to complain bitterly about having to clean bedpans but I am
>>> sure it
>>> gave her a wealth of experience.
>>>
>>> She is also the Google Queen so she might have found the answer. What do I
>>> know:(((
>>>
>>> Just be careful of taking her advice. Most of us wouldn't dare give any.
>>>
>>> O who doesn't live in a Shopping Centre!!!
>>>

>> Thank you. I am always interested in information I can get from various
>> sources, but I am also careful. I tend to take questions about any
>> information I pick up from various sources to my doctor for his evaluation.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> Very good, you sound like a patient with good critical analysis skills.
>
> Yes, a biopsy is basically a procedure to obtain a very small sample of
> cellular tissue to look at it under a microscope and see if there is any
> evidence of cancerous cells. The only real objective way to obtain the
> evidence of cancers. All the "marker" tests merely look for bloodborne
> evidence of possible cancers somewhere in the body. A liver biopsy looks
> at the liver tissue itself for evidence of cancers in your liver.
>
> John Kuthe, RN....

Liver biopsies are also done to diagnose and gauge cirrhosis, hepatitis,
hemochromatosis and other liver disorders--not just cancer, and certainly
not "cancers".

--
jinx the minx

lucreti...@fl.it

Oct 27, 2016, 2:19:49 PM10/27/16
On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 12:59:19 -0500, jinx the minx
<jinx...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>John Kuthe <johnk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yes, a biopsy is basically a procedure to obtain a very small sample of
>> cellular tissue to look at it under a microscope and see if there is any
>> evidence of cancerous cells. The only real objective way to obtain the
>> evidence of cancers. All the "marker" tests merely look for bloodborne
>> evidence of possible cancers somewhere in the body. A liver biopsy looks
>> at the liver tissue itself for evidence of cancers in your liver.
>>
>> John Kuthe, RN....
>>

>Liver biopsies are also done to diagnose and gauge cirrhosis, hepatitis,
>hemochromatosis and other liver disorders--not just cancer, and certainly
>not "cancers".

Quite - a little medical knowledge is a dangerous thing.

jinx the minx

Oct 27, 2016, 2:43:54 PM10/27/16
No doubt about that.

--
jinx the minx

Cheri

Oct 27, 2016, 2:55:38 PM10/27/16

"jinx the minx" <jinx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Especially when it's a doctor.

Cheri

jmcquown

Oct 27, 2016, 2:56:08 PM10/27/16
Especially when he's off his meds and likely to go on a diatribe about
China at any given moment. ;)

Jill

jinx the minx

Oct 27, 2016, 3:22:19 PM10/27/16

jinx the minx

Oct 28, 2016, 1:12:50 PM10/28/16
MaryL <stan...@invalid.yahoo.com> wrote:
> This is *way* OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
> Friday. Have any of you had that procedure? If so, can you give me any
> information on the procedure? My ANA results are "markedly positive."
> There is a possibility of fatty liver or autoimmune problem. I should
> know more after the biopsy.
>
> Let's have no jokes about beef liver, please. ;o)
>
> MaryL

Good luck today, Mary!!

--
jinx the minx

Tweetie Bird

Oct 28, 2016, 1:46:42 PM10/28/16
On 10/24/2016 4:44 PM, MaryL wrote:
> This is *way* OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
> Friday. Have any of you had that procedure? If so, can you give me any
> information on the procedure? My ANA results are "markedly positive."
> There is a possibility of fatty liver or autoimmune problem. I should
> know more after the biopsy.
>
> Let's have no jokes about beef liver, please. ;o)
>
> MaryL
Mary, hope your biopsy goes well. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Keep us updated please.

MaryL

Nov 2, 2016, 6:26:36 PM11/2/16
On 10/24/2016 3:44 PM, MaryL wrote:
> This is *way* OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
> Friday. Have any of you had that procedure? If so, can you give me any
> information on the procedure? My ANA results are "markedly positive."
> There is a possibility of fatty liver or autoimmune problem. I should
> know more after the biopsy.
>
> Let's have no jokes about beef liver, please. ;o)
>
> MaryL

Thanks for all the good thoughts that many of you have posted. I had
hoped to have results by now, but I was told today that the test has to
be sent to pathology and that takes a couple of weeks. I can tell you
that there was nothing to fear from the actual procedure. It only took
about 15 minutes for the CT guided test, and it was no more painful than
a bee sting. I was awake the whole time, and the radiologist was
talking to me and explaining everything. The most uncomfortable part of
the procedure was that I had to keep both arms raised above my head (on
the table, not lifted in the air) the whole time. I have arthritis, so
that did hurt my shoulders. However, it did not do any damage.

MaryL

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 2, 2016, 7:00:50 PM11/2/16
On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 17:26:32 -0500, MaryL <stan...@invalid.yahoo.com>
wrote:
Glad it's over anyway, yes, funny how side things can be the most
troublesome when you least expect it :)

notbob

Nov 2, 2016, 7:41:20 PM11/2/16
On 2016-11-02, MaryL <stan...@invalid.yahoo.com> wrote:

> However, it did not do any damage.

That's what counts.

Keep us posted and I hope it's good news. ;)

nb

Cheri

Nov 2, 2016, 9:09:16 PM11/2/16

"MaryL" <stan...@invalid.yahoo.com> wrote in message
Glad to hear that it's over and was fairly painless all in all. Fingers
crossed for great results.

Cheri

Ophelia

Nov 3, 2016, 4:57:28 AM11/3/16
"MaryL" wrote in message news:e7v7gn...@mid.individual.net...
====================

Thanks for the update and explanation of the procedure too. Keep your
spirits up! We are all thinking of you!!

Sorry about the old arfur:( I have it too so can sympathise!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Cheryl

Nov 8, 2016, 12:14:29 PM11/8/16
On 10/24/2016 4:44 PM, MaryL wrote:

> This is *way* OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
> Friday. Have any of you had that procedure? If so, can you give me any
> information on the procedure? My ANA results are "markedly positive."
> There is a possibility of fatty liver or autoimmune problem. I should
> know more after the biopsy.
>
> Let's have no jokes about beef liver, please. ;o)
>
> MaryL

Hi Mary. I see this post is pretty old and I hope you're doing OK. I'm
going to email you because I've been going through a liver problem too
but no biopsy has been talked about. I really hope you're well and I'll
be in touch.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

MaryL

Nov 15, 2016, 8:23:38 PM11/15/16
On 10/24/2016 3:44 PM, MaryL wrote:
> This is *way* OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
> Friday. Have any of you had that procedure? If so, can you give me any
> information on the procedure? My ANA results are "markedly positive."
> There is a possibility of fatty liver or autoimmune problem. I should
> know more after the biopsy.
>
> Let's have no jokes about beef liver, please. ;o)
>
> MaryL

I apologize for the long delay in reporting on the results of my liver
biopsy. I wanted to wait until I had some definitive information, and
the delay was caused because we were waiting for the pathologist’s
report. The report has also been sent to a second pathologist to verify
the findings.

Basically, I learned that I have fatty liver advanced to the stage of
cirrhosis. The diagnosis is NASH (NonAlcoholicSteatohepatitis–I do not
drink and never have). I was actually somewhat relieved by the
diagnosis. I certainly did not like to hear about fatty liver, but I
expected that based on previous tests, and that is compatible with my
history of diabetes. On the other hand, there is no evidence of
autoimmune hepatitis, and the test was negative for malignancy and
dysplastic hepatocyte.

One recommended change is to change my diet and lose weight. I told my
doctor that I had already started to work on weight change some time
ago. It has been a slow process, but I have lost about 25 pounds. He
said “your liver will love you.”

There are many reports on the Internet concerning NASH. Here is one:
http://www.healthline.com/health/fatty-liver#Overview1

I have not had any symptoms at all, and that seems to be common.
Actually, my biggest problem has been constant issues with vertigo. I
have been to several doctors, and no one has been able to help with that.

MaryL

Ophelia

Nov 16, 2016, 4:26:49 AM11/16/16
"MaryL" wrote in message news:e91qom...@mid.individual.net...
================

Thank you for reporting back, Mary. I didn't understand most of that but
your own words:

"I was actually somewhat relieved by the diagnosis", cheered me:)

It seems as though you are doing the right things so keep it up!!

Best

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Nov 16, 2016, 4:28:32 AM11/16/16

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 16, 2016, 7:11:48 AM11/16/16
Glad to know you finally are in the know about it, that helps. Good
luck with the weight loss, I find with age just dropping a few pounds
is not easy :( I am lucky that my vertigo is now under control, true
I take two pills for it, but life prior to that wasn't worth living so
I figure that balances it out. My commiserations, can`t imagine
living with it. Did you try doctors who treat-know migraines they
seem to be more knowledgeable about it all.

notbob

Nov 16, 2016, 10:37:12 AM11/16/16
On 2016-11-16, MaryL <stan...@invalid.yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 10/24/2016 3:44 PM, MaryL wrote:
>> This is *way* OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
>> Friday. Have any of you had that procedure? If so, can you give me any
>> information on the procedure? My ANA results are "markedly positive."
>> There is a possibility of fatty liver or autoimmune problem. I should
>> know more after the biopsy.
>>
>> Let's have no jokes about beef liver, please. ;o)
>>
>> MaryL
>
> I apologize for the long delay in reporting on the results of my liver
> biopsy. I wanted to wait until I had some definitive information, and
> the delay was caused because we were waiting for the pathologist???s
> report. The report has also been sent to a second pathologist to verify
> the findings.
>
> Basically, I learned that I have fatty liver advanced to the stage of
> cirrhosis. The diagnosis is NASH (NonAlcoholicSteatohepatitis???I do not
> drink and never have). I was actually somewhat relieved by the
> diagnosis. I certainly did not like to hear about fatty liver, but I
> expected that based on previous tests, and that is compatible with my
> history of diabetes. On the other hand, there is no evidence of
> autoimmune hepatitis, and the test was negative for malignancy and
> dysplastic hepatocyte.
>
> One recommended change is to change my diet and lose weight. I told my
> doctor that I had already started to work on weight change some time
> ago. It has been a slow process, but I have lost about 25 pounds. He
> said ???your liver will love you.???

tert in seattle

Nov 16, 2016, 11:30:05 AM11/16/16
MaryL wrote:
> On 10/24/2016 3:44 PM, MaryL wrote:
>> This is *way* OT, but I am scheduled for a CT guided liver biopsy on
>> Friday. Have any of you had that procedure? If so, can you give me any
>> information on the procedure? My ANA results are "markedly positive."
>> There is a possibility of fatty liver or autoimmune problem. I should
>> know more after the biopsy.
>>
>> Let's have no jokes about beef liver, please. ;o)
>>
>> MaryL
>
> I apologize for the long delay in reporting on the results of my liver
> biopsy. I wanted to wait until I had some definitive information, and
> the delay was caused because we were waiting for the pathologist???s
> report. The report has also been sent to a second pathologist to verify
> the findings.
>
> Basically, I learned that I have fatty liver advanced to the stage of
> cirrhosis. The diagnosis is NASH (NonAlcoholicSteatohepatitis???I do not
> drink and never have). I was actually somewhat relieved by the
> diagnosis. I certainly did not like to hear about fatty liver, but I
> expected that based on previous tests, and that is compatible with my
> history of diabetes. On the other hand, there is no evidence of
> autoimmune hepatitis, and the test was negative for malignancy and
> dysplastic hepatocyte.
>
> One recommended change is to change my diet and lose weight. I told my
> doctor that I had already started to work on weight change some time
> ago. It has been a slow process, but I have lost about 25 pounds. He
> said ???your liver will love you.???
>
> There are many reports on the Internet concerning NASH. Here is one:
> http://www.healthline.com/health/fatty-liver#Overview1
>
> I have not had any symptoms at all, and that seems to be common.
> Actually, my biggest problem has been constant issues with vertigo. I
> have been to several doctors, and no one has been able to help with that.
>
> MaryL

It's good news! Fatty liver is reversible and pretty much your doctor's
advice to lose weight (meaning fat) is all you need to do. Easier said
than done! Did they say if the vertigo might be related?

The Greatest!

Nov 16, 2016, 12:02:00 PM11/16/16
Well, all seems fairly "manageable", so that is good! But the vertigo thing really sucks, I had a few episodes years ago, and it was the most helpless feeling I'd ever had in my life. IIRC there is not a whole lot one can do about it...I hope your episodes are very short, and very few.

--
Best
Greg

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 16, 2016, 12:46:44 PM11/16/16
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 19:23:35 -0600, MaryL
<stan...@invalid.yahoo.com> wrote:

I'm glad that the 'waiting worry' is over for you. All the best.
Janet US