Himalayan Pink Salt

Julie Bove

Jun 19, 2019, 5:24:25 AM6/19/19
What's this stuff good for? I know I can use in for bathing. But what's it
good for in the kitchen? I have a bag. Not sure where it came from. Might
have been a gift.

Thanks!

dsi1

Jun 19, 2019, 6:29:26 AM6/19/19
The idea of having a bag of fossil salt that's been around since before the age of dinosaurs is pretty awesome. Chipping your teeth on particles of quartz, however, is not cool. I dumped my bag of salt because I'd like to keep my teeth for a while. Your best bet is to toss the salt around your house to ward off evil spirits. That's what we do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKvSCIAI284

Julie Bove

Jun 19, 2019, 7:25:38 AM6/19/19

"dsi1" <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote in message
---

Black salt works best for that. Guess I'll make a salt scrub with it.
Thanks.

jmcquown

Jun 19, 2019, 11:10:57 AM6/19/19
A *slab* of Himalayan Pink Salt is used for cooking applications such as
baking meat or fish in the oven or on the grill.

https://www.seasalt.com/how-to-use-himalayan-salt-blocks.html

"Himalayan pink salt slabs can be heated to as high as 450 degrees
Fahrenheit and used to lightly sear all sorts of delicious foods. When
the cooking is through, your mineral salt slab will slowly return to
room temperature for future use as a cold serving plate."

Crushed... probably not intended for cooking. Stick with the bath salts
idea. :)

Jill

Gary

Jun 19, 2019, 11:16:51 AM6/19/19
Himalayan salt is so out of date. She should just toss it.

notbob

Jun 19, 2019, 11:23:54 AM6/19/19
On 2019-06-19, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Himalayan pink salt slabs can be heated to as high as 450 degrees
> Fahrenheit.....

.....which is probably why "pink salt slabs" are sold as some kinda
"salt rock slab" lamps, most often sold around here.

I've tasted pink salt (no diff) and it is probably the best use of
these pink slabs. ;)

nb

jmcquown

Jun 19, 2019, 12:37:50 PM6/19/19
Cooking on a pink salt slab was a trend. I'd never have paid a pretty
penny for one. I'd definitely throw out what Julie seems to have.
Crushed, no use in cooking. It would probably clog the drain in the
tub. So I've changed my mind, no to the bath salts.

Jill

jmcquown

Jun 19, 2019, 12:39:23 PM6/19/19
On 6/19/2019 11:23 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-06-19, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> "Himalayan pink salt slabs can be heated to as high as 450 degrees
>> Fahrenheit.....
>
> .....which is probably why "pink salt slabs" are sold as some kinda
> "salt rock slab" lamps, most often sold around here.

I guess they're pretty stones! :)

> I've tasted pink salt (no diff) and it is probably the best use of
> these pink slabs. ;)
>
> nb

I've never tasted pink salt but a salt with such a high quartz content
is probably not good for cooking.

Jill

dsi1

Jun 19, 2019, 12:45:25 PM6/19/19
The Hawaiians use red alae salt for chasing off evil, the
Japanese use white salt. OTOH, my daughter makes a
scrub with salt. She makes a black and a green scrub.
It's scary looking stuff. I don't want to know too
much about it so I avoid it but I think you got a
good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoJE3xxBSJ8

Julie Bove

Jun 19, 2019, 4:43:20 PM6/19/19

"dsi1" <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote in message
Hehehe.

Julie Bove

Jun 19, 2019, 4:44:08 PM6/19/19

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
I know about the slab but this is crushed.

Julie Bove

Jun 19, 2019, 4:45:26 PM6/19/19

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
No. It wouldn't clog the drain. I've been using it that way for years.

Julie Bove

Jun 19, 2019, 4:46:15 PM6/19/19

"notbob" <not...@nothome.com> wrote in message
I have two salt lamps. Love them

Dave Smith

Jun 19, 2019, 4:48:37 PM6/19/19
On 2019-06-19 4:43 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> Crushed... probably not intended for cooking.  Stick with the bath
>> salts idea. :)
>
> I know about the slab but this is crushed.

It may be past its best before date. You should probably throw it out.

jmcquown

Jun 19, 2019, 5:24:51 PM6/19/19
Then why bother to ask what do do with it?! And don't say you didn't
ask because you did.

Jill

dsi1

Jun 19, 2019, 5:37:30 PM6/19/19
"Use within 100 million years of purchase."

Sqwertz

Jun 19, 2019, 10:19:16 PM6/19/19
It will cure everything that ails you, 100% Guaranteed.

-sw

Sqwertz

Jun 19, 2019, 10:34:30 PM6/19/19
On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 12:39:17 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> I've never tasted pink salt but a salt with such a high quartz content
> is probably not good for cooking.

Where's all this quartz bullshit coming from, dsi1?

Quartz is the last thing you need to worry about. Some of that
salty stuff is 99.99% halite!

That quartz bullshit is just that - bullshit. Thanks dsi1! You Da
Man!

-sw

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 19, 2019, 11:28:53 PM6/19/19
On 6/19/2019 4:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

McCormicks has the pink sale in the grinder for table use. I don't see
where it would be a problem to use like an other salt.

Julie Bove

Jun 20, 2019, 2:46:11 AM6/20/19

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
Pretty sure salt doesn't expire.

Julie Bove

Jun 20, 2019, 2:47:31 AM6/20/19

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Look up and see what I wrote, Jill. I said I know I can use it for bathing!
Gah!

Julie Bove

Jun 20, 2019, 2:49:55 AM6/20/19

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.xxx> wrote in message
I did some research. It's a finishing salt said to contain lots of minerals.
Supposed to taste less salty than other said. It was suggested to eat it on
buttered toast. I shall try that when I get some bread. I am fresh out and
the bread outlet was closed by the time I got out that way.

Julie Bove

Jun 20, 2019, 2:50:16 AM6/20/19

"Sqwertz" <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote in message
Oh goodie!

Julie Bove

Jun 20, 2019, 2:50:56 AM6/20/19

"Sqwertz" <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote in message
I believe he was joking.

Gary

Jun 20, 2019, 7:15:20 AM6/20/19
Julie Bove wrote:

> I did some research. It's a finishing salt said to contain lots of minerals.
> Supposed to taste less salty than other said. It was suggested to eat it on
> buttered toast. I shall try that when I get some bread. I am fresh out and
> the bread outlet was closed by the time I got out that way.

Salting buttered toast? What's wrong with you? ;)

Gary

Jun 20, 2019, 7:15:37 AM6/20/19
Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote:
> > It will cure everything that ails you, 100% Guaranteed.
>
> Oh goodie!

Keep a bag of it underneath your pillow as you sleep.

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 20, 2019, 8:58:54 AM6/20/19
I do the same. What's wrong with salting it?

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Jun 20, 2019, 9:05:18 AM6/20/19
Do you really? Why the urge or need?
Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
Why not just use salted butter?

I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
salt on a slice of buttered toast.

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 20, 2019, 10:03:14 AM6/20/19
On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 9:05:18 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Salting buttered toast? What's wrong with you? ;)
> >
> > I do the same. What's wrong with salting it?
>
> Do you really? Why the urge or need?

It tastes better that way.

> Do you use unsalted butter then salt it?
> Why not just use salted butter?

Nope. Salted butter plus salt.

> I use both for different reasons but never considered sprinkling
> salt on a slice of buttered toast.

Sometimes it's lemon-pepper seasoning instead.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Jun 20, 2019, 10:25:03 AM6/20/19
Oh no, That could be good. A heaping teaspoon of salt on butter toast
could be delicious, but be sure to use unsalted butter.

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 20, 2019, 10:33:31 AM6/20/19
Nor have I but I'm going to try it. One of the good things of eating a
good potato chip is the hit of salt you get. This would be similar.

Finishing salt is course and give a little crunch to the food too.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jun 20, 2019, 10:47:19 AM6/20/19
On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 9:33:31 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Nor have I but I'm going to try it. One of the good things of eating a
> good potato chip is the hit of salt you get. This would be similar.

When I butter and run a split English muffin under the broiler it gets a mere
dusting of salt when it comes out. Really adds to the flavor and it's not
overly salty or briny.

Bruce

Jun 20, 2019, 2:07:06 PM6/20/19
I've never heard of salting toast nor have I ever done it. Some people
have weak taste buds so they need all the help they can get.

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 20, 2019, 2:11:58 PM6/20/19
I have quite good taste buds. They love the taste of salt, in addition
to a myriad other flavors.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Jun 20, 2019, 2:44:21 PM6/20/19
To each their own. I don't like undersalted food, but I don't want to
taste the salt on its own. Although, maybe a bit on an egg or a
chip/crisp...

Sqwertz

Jun 20, 2019, 3:10:24 PM6/20/19
I doubt it. Or perhaps he meant halite.

-sw

Bruce

Jun 20, 2019, 3:11:07 PM6/20/19
On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 14:12:11 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:
Or maybe haolite.

dsi1

Jun 20, 2019, 3:39:41 PM6/20/19
That's actually a common misconception.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127914467

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 20, 2019, 3:49:27 PM6/20/19
I'd guess it saturates the receptors and keeps supertasters from being
overwhelmed by the bitter, sour, and sweet.

Cindy Hamilton

Julie Bove

Jun 20, 2019, 3:56:24 PM6/20/19

"dsi1" <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote in message
Interesting! Thanks!

Hank Rogers

Jun 20, 2019, 3:56:27 PM6/20/19
Which is composed mainly of the mineral Honkeyite.

dsi1

Jun 20, 2019, 4:06:31 PM6/20/19
That's possible. A lot of aspies will wear
headphones, either to drown out the outside
world or cut down all sounds. I'm not sure
which one it is.

Bruce

Jun 20, 2019, 4:07:34 PM6/20/19
On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 14:56:23 -0500, Hank Rogers <nos...@invalid.org>
wrote:
Which is often contaminated with gringite.

dsi1

Jun 20, 2019, 4:09:06 PM6/20/19
OTOH, Asian cooks can control the amount of
rice a person eats by varying the amount of
salt in his dishes. Extra salt means more
rice will be consumed. Neat huh? :)

Hank Rogers

Jun 20, 2019, 6:27:10 PM6/20/19
Indeed, as well as crackerite.

Bruce

Jun 20, 2019, 6:35:16 PM6/20/19
On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 17:27:06 -0500, Hank Rogers <nos...@invalid.org>
:)

Jeßus

Jun 20, 2019, 9:13:57 PM6/20/19
On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 00:16:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

Your question will trigger Graham...

>What's this stuff good for? I know I can use in for bathing. But what's it
>good for in the kitchen? I have a bag. Not sure where it came from. Might
>have been a gift.

You can... eat it. It's salt.

jmcquown

Jun 21, 2019, 8:40:15 PM6/21/19
You have to ask? She asked what to do with this salt it yet rebuts any
suggestions. And now she's gone to the bread outlet but oh, it was
closed. Wait... doesn't she claim to bake a lot of bread?

Anyway, she said she knows she can use the Himalayan Pink Salt Crystals
as bath salts. Personally, I wouldn't use bath salt grade salt crystals
for cooking. Hope that's okay with everyone. :)

Jill

jmcquown

Jun 21, 2019, 8:49:41 PM6/21/19
That's a great analogy, Ed! Gary might equate it with salty fries. :)
There's a fairly miniscule amount of salt in salted butter. I sure
can't taste it. I don't hesitate to add some salt to salted butter if
it will make something taste better. Then again, I don't have issues
with sodium.

> Finishing salt is course and give a little crunch to the food too.

I don't bother with things like finishing salts. I see a lot of mention
of Maldon sea salt on PBS cooking shows. Can't be bothered to buy it
just to sprinkle a little over the top of something.

Jill

Julie Bove

Jun 21, 2019, 11:56:20 PM6/21/19

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
I did bake bread. The gardener has to eat gluten free bread. I can make
gluten free bread and I do sometimes make GF quick breads. The GF flour is
not cheap though. And he eats a lot of bread. It is $4.99 per loaf at the
Franz Outlet. Sometimes I find it in the marked down section for less. They
also have a GF punch card. For every 10 GF products I buy, I get a free one.
They also sell GF cookies, crackers and various mixes. Cheaper prices than
other places. And they sell things other than just baked goods such as milk,
butter, chips, spices, jam, honey, pasta and condiments. Their selection of
"other" things varies. I used to buy GF beef jerky there.

I went there the following day. They were massively overstocked. Lady asked
if I wanted free bagels. I don't personally like bagels but Angela does. I
got three free bags of blueberry mini bagels and 6 items from the "free"
rack. Sometimes the free items expire on the following day but usually not.
I got one white and one whole wheat big round loaf of Seattle Sourdough, a
restaurant pack (huge amount) of white dinner rolls and three restaurant
packs of hamburger buns with sesame seeds all for free!

I always give Angela whatever she wants of the free stuff. Sometimes I give
things to my friend in Shoreline if I'm going out that way and they have
what her family eats. They have a narrow scope of what they will eat. I
almost always get a free thing that I like. I always check the free rack on
the way in. Occasionally I will buy something for myself. All of the free
stuff exp. June 25 or later. My gardener has goats. His goats will eat most
anything so I just go for the largest stuff I can get for free. He feeds it
to his goats.

My entire front passenger seat was full of bread, about half of which was
free! I am actually saving a lot of money by buying the bread there. I have
a punch card for regular stuff too. One punch for every $10 spent. When the
10 punches are filled, I get one item from the marked down section for free.
I have not quite figured out the system of what goes where. I think it's
more a matter of what they have the most of and not the exp. date.

I'm sure by this point, you will have dropped out and not read it all. I did
ask what to do with the salt. You mentioned a salt plank. Had I had a salt
plank, I would have said that. You told me to use it in the bath. I already
knew that and said that. Up until that point, Ed seemed to be the only one
familiar with that salt. So I looked it up, saw the toast thing and posted
it just in case someone else wanted to try it. This is a cooking group and
that salt is pretty common, at least here. Perhaps it is not in the land of
no cell phones.

And now? I'm going to have dinner. I made a nice tuna salad with Just Mayo.
I shall stuff a free pita bread with it and perhaps have a couple of Ruffles
potato chips on the side.

Julie Bove

Jun 21, 2019, 11:59:39 PM6/21/19

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
You're really missing out! I had some that I got on clearance from Sur Le
Table. I got rave reviews when I put it on steak. Alas when I looked around
to buy more, I did find it but it was very expensive. Had I known how good
it was, I would have bought more at the clearance price!

Ophelia

Jun 22, 2019, 3:51:03 AM6/22/19

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:qek8t0$a4s$1...@dont-email.me...
===

You are very lucky to have so much free food! I never see anything like
that here!

We do have a counter for things that are marked down, but never free!

jmcquown

Jun 22, 2019, 9:45:50 AM6/22/19
On 6/21/2019 11:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I don't bother with things like finishing salts.  I see a lot of
>> mention of Maldon sea salt on PBS cooking shows.  Can't be bothered to
>> buy it just to sprinkle a little over the top of something.
>
> You're really missing out! I had some that I got on clearance from Sur
> Le Table. I got rave reviews when I put it on steak. Alas when I looked
> around to buy more, I did find it but it was very expensive. Had I known
> how good it was, I would have bought more at the clearance price!

Well then, maybe I'll pick some up. :)

Jill

cshenk

Jun 22, 2019, 9:54:34 AM6/22/19
I agree, I have Maldon's Sea Salt and kosher flake salt in use here.
The way the texture works makes it hit the taste buds a bit better so
you end up actually using less salt on a meal.

Don also uses a lower sodium salt substitute at times.

notbob

Jun 22, 2019, 10:17:58 AM6/22/19
On 2019-06-22, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I sure can't taste it.

I sure can.

"Sweet butter" has no salt, so when I find myself w/ no
salted butter, I will salt my buttered toast.

I can taste the difference immediately. Land O' Lakes (LoL),
Challenge, and other premium US butters have more salt than cheap-o
house brands, organic, and European butters. ;)

nb

jmcquown

Jun 22, 2019, 10:18:15 AM6/22/19
On 6/22/2019 9:54 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I don't bother with things like finishing salts. I see a lot of
>>> mention of Maldon sea salt on PBS cooking shows. Can't be
>>> bothered to buy it just to sprinkle a little over the top of
>>> something.
>>
>> You're really missing out! I had some that I got on clearance from
>> Sur Le Table. I got rave reviews when I put it on steak. Alas when I
>> looked around to buy more, I did find it but it was very expensive.
>> Had I known how good it was, I would have bought more at the
>> clearance price!
>
> I agree, I have Maldon's Sea Salt and kosher flake salt in use here.
> The way the texture works makes it hit the taste buds a bit better so
> you end up actually using less salt on a meal.

Okay ladies (and Ed), I stand corrected. I'll look for Maldon's. Gotta
have salt on a steak! I won't be buying it from Sur La Table, though.

> Don also uses a lower sodium salt substitute at times.

I've tried "lite salt" - a blend of sodium and potassium chloride - and
"no salt - potassium cloride; it tastes bitter to me.

On things such as pasta tossed with a little butter and oil, I find Mrs.
Dash garlic & herb salt-free blend does a fine job of seasoning. The
only salt added is in the pasta cooking water. Mrs. Dash makes an
extensive line of salt-free seasoning blends.

Jill

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 22, 2019, 11:01:59 AM6/22/19
On 6/22/2019 10:18 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> I agree, I have Maldon's Sea Salt and kosher flake salt in use here.
>> The way the texture works makes it hit the taste buds a bit better so
>> you end up actually using less salt on a meal.
>>
> Okay ladies (and Ed), I stand corrected.  I'll look for Maldon's.  Gotta
> have salt on a steak!  I won't be buying it from Sur La Table, though.

Look for it on sale someplace. You may find it with the housewares at
TJ Maxx type of stores for cheap.

This morning I had toast with my eggs. I tool a piece of it, laden with
butter, and salted it. Yes, it was pretty good. Not something I'd
crave, but a little different taste. Worth trying at least once.

cshenk

Jun 22, 2019, 11:31:35 AM6/22/19
https://www.amazon.com/Maldon-Sea-Salt-Flakes-ounce/dp/B00017028M/

$5.49 right now for a box that will last you probably 5 years (grin).

The 'lite salt' tastes a bit off to me as well but Don says you get
used to it quickly.

I do use some MS Dash blends, but mostly we worked our way into just
not adding salt much and getting reduced sodium foods. We use a lot of
salt free spice blends and make some of our own from scratch.

It's one of the times where you really have to read the labels.

Case in point, the brand names of tomato sauces (Heinz, Hunts etc.) are
horrifically high. I remember teaching Charlotte when we were in
Sasebo to pay close attention to the serving size as the ones really
high, tend to 'pretend' they aren't by using a 'serving' of 1TB. Look
to the bottom shelf and the less known brands and you will find they
can be as low as 15-25mg sodium per 1/4-1/2 cup. Range depends on type
of product and of course, tomato paste due to concentration will be
higher.

Some lower sodium products don't work for us tastewise so we use
portion control there. Cream of Mushroom soup is one of those for us.

jmcquown

Jun 22, 2019, 12:13:05 PM6/22/19
On 6/22/2019 11:01 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/22/2019 10:18 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>>> I agree, I have Maldon's Sea Salt and kosher flake salt in use here.
>>> The way the texture works makes it hit the taste buds a bit better so
>>> you end up actually using less salt on a meal.
>>>
>> Okay ladies (and Ed), I stand corrected.  I'll look for Maldon's.
>> Gotta have salt on a steak!  I won't be buying it from Sur La Table,
>> though.
>
> Look for it on sale someplace.  You may find it with the housewares at
> TJ Maxx type of stores for cheap.

Do you have a TJ Maxx nearby? I vaguely remember that store in Memphis,
TN. My mother liked that store. Or maybe it was Marshall's. Hmmm.
Not sure. Neither one is near Beaufort.

Decades ago my mother bought me a 'Lobster for Two' set. I don't know
if it was at TJ Maxx or Marshall's. And yes, I've kept it all these
years. I dug it out of the kitchen cabinet to take a pic:

https://i.postimg.cc/3JjV5XKC/lobsterkit.jpg

Two souffle cups for holding drawn butter and metal claw crackers.

https://i.postimg.cc/sDXzcHPG/price.jpg

It was too funny. We lived in Memphis, TN. Landlocked. Not lobster
country.

Because it was on sale at one of those stores that suggest gifts. For
when you just don't know what to give to someone. Unfortunately, I
don't cook a lot of lobster. I do still have the lobster set.

> This morning I had toast with my eggs.  I tool a piece of it, laden with
> butter, and salted it.  Yes, it was pretty good.  Not something I'd
> crave, but a little different taste.  Worth trying at least once.

I'll check Publix for the Maldon salt. I tend to like herbs in
scrambled eggs.

Jill

graham

Jun 22, 2019, 12:58:01 PM6/22/19
On 2019-06-22 8:18 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/22/2019 9:54 AM, cshenk wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> You're really missing out! I had some that I got on clearance from
>>> Sur Le Table. I got rave reviews when I put it on steak. Alas when I
>>> looked around to buy more, I did find it but it was very expensive.
>>> Had I known how good it was, I would have bought more at the
>>> clearance price!
>>
>> I agree, I have Maldon's Sea Salt and kosher flake salt in use here.
>> The way the texture works makes it hit the taste buds a bit better so
>> you end up actually using less salt on a meal.
>>
> Okay ladies (and Ed), I stand corrected.  I'll look for Maldon's.

Actually, it's just "Maldon", named for the place in Essex, UK, where it
is made.

dsi1

Jun 22, 2019, 2:33:49 PM6/22/19
I just love my container of big crystal sea salt. The wacky thing about it is the rotating seal on the top has a big hole and a sifting type hole. The big hole works fine but the other part won't allow a single grain to pass through. They should keep the big hole and add a giant hole. My guess is that I'm going to have a hard time replacing it when the container is empty but I'm going to enjoy it while I can. :)

Julie Bove

Jun 22, 2019, 10:42:08 PM6/22/19

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
There was a bread outlet in Oakland CA that did the same. I went in and
bought a pack of English Muffins. Nothing else. They gave me 10 free packs.
We were all pretty horrified. I gave some away but dang. Meals for weeks
featured English Muffins in some form or another!

When I worked at K Mart, we would give out free seasonal stuff to the
customers at closing time if we had a lot. One night, everyone got a
strawberry pie. Another time it was as many Easter Lilies and bags of jelly
beans as you wanted.

Ophelia

Jun 23, 2019, 5:01:24 AM6/23/19

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:qemott$fmo$1...@dont-email.me...

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> ===
>
> You are very lucky to have so much free food! I never see anything
> like that here!
>
> We do have a counter for things that are marked down, but never free!

There was a bread outlet in Oakland CA that did the same. I went in and
bought a pack of English Muffins. Nothing else. They gave me 10 free packs.
We were all pretty horrified. I gave some away but dang. Meals for weeks
featured English Muffins in some form or another!

When I worked at K Mart, we would give out free seasonal stuff to the
customers at closing time if we had a lot. One night, everyone got a
strawberry pie. Another time it was as many Easter Lilies and bags of jelly
beans as you wanted.

===

I have heard that at closing time, all the reduced foods are reduced
even further, but I have never heard of anything free like that. I have
also heard that a certain group of folk are always there waiting:))

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 23, 2019, 7:04:28 AM6/23/19
They forced you to take the packages that you didn't want? How terrible
for you.

Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Jun 23, 2019, 8:22:51 AM6/23/19
>>> And now? I'm going to have dinner. I made a nice tuna salad with Just
>>> Mayo.

Oh goody! Fake Mayo!

>>> I shall stuff a free pita bread with it and perhaps have a couple of
>>> Ruffles
>>> potato chips on the side.

Ruffles have Ridges.

>>> You are very lucky to have so much free food! I never see anything
>>> like that here!
>>>
>>> We do have a counter for things that are marked down, but never free!
>>
>> There was a bread outlet in Oakland CA that did the same. I went in and
>> bought a pack of English Muffins. Nothing else. They gave me 10 free packs.
>> We were all pretty horrified.
>
> They forced you to take the packages that you didn't want? How terrible
> for you.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

And they were "all pretty horrified" at being given free stuff! And of
course she's going to go out of her way to give some free bread to her
friend if she manages to drive by. Sheesh.

Jill

Gary

Jun 23, 2019, 8:47:03 AM6/23/19
Julie Bove wrote:

> There was a bread outlet in Oakland CA that did the same. I went in and
> bought a pack of English Muffins. Nothing else. They gave me 10 free packs.
> We were all pretty horrified. I gave some away but dang. Meals for weeks
> featured English Muffins in some form or another!

Why horrified? You should go to that Oakland outfit more often.
Freeze the extra's. Doesn't hurt muffins at all. Toast them and
consider yourself lucky.

Julie: "No freezer space."

Ophelia

Jun 23, 2019, 9:35:44 AM6/23/19

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
===

Now, now, Cindy.

Waste not, want not!

Julie Bove

Jun 23, 2019, 4:30:35 PM6/23/19

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Oh yes! I used to go to an Albertsons here that did that. Walk in at 20 min.
to closing time and the marked down non-shelf stable things were next to
nothing. That only went on for a little while though.

Julie Bove

Jun 23, 2019, 4:34:01 PM6/23/19

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Nobody forced me to take it. I just wasn't expecting it. This was in
Oakland. The friend I take stuff to sometimes lives in this state but it's
about an hour's drive to her house. I'm not going out there just to take a
loaf of bread. That's too much gas to waste. If we already have plans
together or if I have other business out that way, it's not a problem.

Julie Bove

Jun 23, 2019, 4:39:41 PM6/23/19

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5D0F74C8...@att.net...
We were living in military housing. Had one of those smallish top freezer
fridges. In those days, my freezer was usually full of meat. English muffins
are just okay. I don't like them a lot. I have a package now in the freezer
that I've never touched. My ex would not eat them at all. Angela only likes
whole wheat and I once got a free pack of 8 grain. I liked those. Now I
don't like any of the others. In a year's time, there was no way we could
have gone through 11 packs of English muffins. But we didn't have a year
because we were moving to NY. I think we had about 2 more months there at
the time we got them. My friends were moving sooner so they couldn't use
many either!

Julie Bove

Jun 23, 2019, 4:41:52 PM6/23/19

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
We were not forced to take them. I just wasn't excepting to get that much
free stuff! At the bread outlet here, you probably wouldn't get anything
free if you bought just one cheap item. Unless perhaps it was a day like
when everyone was getting bagels.

Ophelia

Jun 23, 2019, 4:47:44 PM6/23/19

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:qeoo6d$amk$1...@dont-email.me...
===

Probably:)

Hank Rogers

Jun 23, 2019, 6:39:10 PM6/23/19
But you gotta admit ... Boolie Jove gottcha again. She trolled, and
you bit like a smallmouth Bass.

LOL

Hank Rogers

Jun 23, 2019, 6:48:46 PM6/23/19
Yes, its a terrible place. She even was forced to let a homeless man
stay in her shed and pose as a "gardener". I wonder if it is Popeye,
after being rejected by the mexican woman from Juarez.

I hope she escapes some day.

jmcquown

Jun 23, 2019, 7:02:38 PM6/23/19
You or so many people you know dislike or won't eat whatever for so many
reasons. Sorry, I can't keep up. You're the one who posted you were
given a bunch of freebies. Now you're complaining about it?

Jill

Julie Bove

Jun 23, 2019, 8:14:33 PM6/23/19

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Where was I complaining?

Julie Bove

Jun 23, 2019, 8:15:35 PM6/23/19

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
That should have said expecting.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jun 23, 2019, 8:51:58 PM6/23/19
On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 7:14:33 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >

> > You or so many people you know dislike or won't eat whatever for so many
> > reasons. Sorry, I can't keep up. You're the one who posted you were
> > given a bunch of freebies. Now you're complaining about it?
>
> Where was I complaining?

A direct quote from your previous post:

"There was a bread outlet in Oakland CA that did the same. I went in and
bought a pack of English Muffins. Nothing else. They gave me 10 free packs.
We were all pretty horrified."

Being such a 'top notch writer' a better choice of words would have been
"we were shocked" "we were all pretty surprised" "we weren't expecting
that" or "we were stunned." Horrified implies they tried to palm off on you
completely moldy bread. Or they opened a loaf or a package and reached in with
their bare hands and pulled out several muffins and just threw them into our
bag.

Julie Bove

Jun 23, 2019, 9:47:25 PM6/23/19

<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote in message
Horrified is not complaining. From dictionary.com

"
adjective
showing or indicating great shock or horror:
a horrified gasp; a horrified expression.
accompanied or characterized by a feeling of horror:
horrified interest.
struck with horror; shocked:
horrified and outraged spectators."

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jun 24, 2019, 12:08:53 AM6/24/19
On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 8:47:25 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> Horrified is not complaining. From dictionary.com
>
> "
> adjective
> showing or indicating great shock or horror:
> a horrified gasp; a horrified expression.
> accompanied or characterized by a feeling of horror:
> horrified interest.
> struck with horror; shocked:
> horrified and outraged spectators."

You're right, it is not complaining; I never said it was complaining, that's
you're department. But you used it incorrectly when you said you were
'horrified' that you were given free items. Shocked perhaps, but horrified?

You were struck with horror when you were given free items? You don't
disappoint with the attention whore routine; why am I not surprised?

Julie Bove

Jun 24, 2019, 1:35:50 AM6/24/19

> On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 8:47:25 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Horrified is not complaining. From dictionary.com
>>
>> "
>> adjective
>> showing or indicating great shock or horror:
>> a horrified gasp; a horrified expression.
>> accompanied or characterized by a feeling of horror:
>> horrified interest.
>> struck with horror; shocked:
>> horrified and outraged spectators."
>>
> You're right, it is not complaining; I never said it was complaining,
> that's
> you're department. But you used it incorrectly when you said you were
> 'horrified' that you were given free items. Shocked perhaps, but
> horrified?

"Your", not "you're" (in reference to department). Shocked and horrifed mean
essentially the same thing.

> You were struck with horror when you were given free items? You don't
> disappoint with the attention whore routine; why am I not surprised?

How should *I* know!

You bitch that you think I used word and then you make a whopper of a
spelling error.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jun 24, 2019, 2:28:40 AM6/24/19
In article <gssPE.1067$1v...@fx48.iad>, jmcquown
<j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Decades ago my mother bought me a 'Lobster for Two' set. I don't know
> if it was at TJ Maxx or Marshall's. And yes, I've kept it all these
> years. I dug it out of the kitchen cabinet to take a pic:
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/3JjV5XKC/lobsterkit.jpg
>
> Two souffle cups for holding drawn butter and metal claw crackers.

I have *six* inherited lobster/crab forks and a pair of pliers. I
normally boil the pliers before cracking crab, because they've been
used for previous, non-related stuff ;)

leo

Ophelia

Jun 24, 2019, 7:36:34 AM6/24/19

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:qeonh8$75v$1...@dont-email.me...
===

I don't know about here. I never do that so I only know what the
cashier told me.

Ophelia

Jun 24, 2019, 7:36:40 AM6/24/19

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:qep4n4$6nv$1...@dont-email.me...
====

Not a problem. It was obvious what you mean.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jun 24, 2019, 2:17:05 PM6/24/19
On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:35:50 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> >
> > You're right, it is not complaining; I never said it was complaining,
> > that's
> > you're department. But you used it incorrectly when you said you were
> > 'horrified' that you were given free items. Shocked perhaps, but
> > horrified?
>
> "Your", not "you're" (in reference to department). Shocked and horrifed mean
> essentially the same thing.

That is correct, I used the wrong 'you're/your.' See how easy it is to admit
a mistake? Nothing to it unless you have an inflated sense of yourself.

> > You were struck with horror when you were given free items? You don't
> > disappoint with the attention whore routine; why am I not surprised?
>
> How should *I* know!

Because you never fail to disappoint.

> You bitch that you think I used word and then you make a whopper of a
> spelling error.

Yep, I sure did and took ownership of my mistake. You should try it sometime
when you tell those gawd awful lies and then expect us to believe them.