Re: Bacon in the Oven: Rack or No Rack?

Message has been deleted

rosie

Oct 25, 2014, 2:10:54 PM10/25/14
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 1:05:09 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> Those of you who aren't cooking your bacon in the oven, well, you
> should be. Sturdy half sheet pans are best - do not use any of those
> cheap hand-me-downs from your mother that are warped or will warp as
> they heat up.
>
> Now the only controversy left is whether to put the bacon on a rack,
> leaving you with an extra item to wash, or place it right on the pan
> (optionally lined with foil to make cleanup easier).
>
> After numerous tests (okay, one) and highly scientific observation (a
> clock), it's much better to place the bacon right on the sheet pan.
> Your bacon will cook twice as fast since you're not relying on mostly
> dry heat with the rack method. With the pan method the bacon is
> surrounded by a small bit of wet 375F fat plus the conducted heat from
> the pan itself.
>
> There is no difference in texture. The only slight advantage to
> cooking on a rack is that you won't need to set your bacon on paper
> towels to sponge off the fat on the bottom. But you still need to dab
> with paper towels the tops of the bacon using either method.
>
> So now you know. Give up your rack, Jill! <cough>
>
> -sw

rosie

Oct 25, 2014, 2:12:52 PM10/25/14
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 1:05:09 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> Those of you who aren't cooking your bacon in the oven, well, you
> should be. Sturdy half sheet pans are best - do not use any of those
> cheap hand-me-downs from your mother that are warped or will warp as
> they heat up.
>
> Now the only controversy left is whether to put the bacon on a rack,
> leaving you with an extra item to wash, or place it right on the pan
> (optionally lined with foil to make cleanup easier).
>
> After numerous tests (okay, one) and highly scientific observation (a
> clock), it's much better to place the bacon right on the sheet pan.

OK Steve , you have convinced me. Also thereare couple of added bonuses, you do not have to stand and turn it over from time to time, and you can cook enough for everyone all at once. Thanks

Pete C.

Oct 25, 2014, 2:15:18 PM10/25/14

Sqwertz wrote:

> Those of you who aren't cooking your bacon in the oven, well, you
> should be. Sturdy half sheet pans are best - do not use any of those
> cheap hand-me-downs from your mother that are warped or will warp as
> they heat up.
>
> Now the only controversy left is whether to put the bacon on a rack,
> leaving you with an extra item to wash, or place it right on the pan
> (optionally lined with foil to make cleanup easier).
>
> After numerous tests (okay, one) and highly scientific observation (a
> clock), it's much better to place the bacon right on the sheet pan.
> Your bacon will cook twice as fast since you're not relying on mostly
> dry heat with the rack method. With the pan method the bacon is
> surrounded by a small bit of wet 375F fat plus the conducted heat from
> the pan itself.
>
> There is no difference in texture. The only slight advantage to
> cooking on a rack is that you won't need to set your bacon on paper
> towels to sponge off the fat on the bottom. But you still need to dab
> with paper towels the tops of the bacon using either method.
>
> So now you know. Give up your rack, Jill! <cough>
>
> -sw

Rack and (forced) convection oven, the same way I do meatballs.
Message has been deleted

Pico Rico

Oct 25, 2014, 3:08:06 PM10/25/14

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
no rack, no foil - parchment.

if you are doing a ton, put it in a perf pan to let any excess fat drain
off. Pour the fat from the pan into a container to use later.

sf

Oct 25, 2014, 3:22:25 PM10/25/14
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 13:15:15 -0500, "Pete C." <auxRe...@wpnet.us>
wrote:

> Rack and (forced) convection oven, the same way I do meatballs.

Does that mean the meatballs brown as if they'd been fried?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Pete C.

Oct 25, 2014, 3:24:30 PM10/25/14

Sqwertz wrote:
> > Rack and (forced) convection oven, the same way I do meatballs.
>
> Meatballs, yes. As you don't want those sitting in the grease on the
> hot pan giving you an overdone bottom.
>
> But for flat bacon, you're wrong. What do YOU think the advantage of
> cooking on a rack provides?
>
> -sw

I flip the bacon over and let it drain when it's done. No paper towels
used, less garbage produced, more "green". For washing it's a dishwasher
cycle anyway so the extra rack doesn't have any effect on water,
detergent or energy use. Bacon fat can be poured off the pan into a
container for future use if the one in the fridge is getting low.

notbob

Oct 25, 2014, 3:26:52 PM10/25/14
On 2014-10-25, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> Those of you who aren't cooking your bacon in the oven, well, you
> should be.

Nonsense. You ever cleaned a dozen half sheets that jes finished oven
baking bacon? I have. Hardest job in a resto kitchen.

Perhaps if the baking sheets were high quality non-stick. Regular
aluminum sheets, the bacon drippings/fond sticks to those sheets like epoxy!

I'd rather babysit my bacon in a cheapo WW non-stick skillet, for 15
mins, than clean even a single alum sheet, half or otherwise. ;)

nb

Nunya Bidnits

Oct 25, 2014, 4:03:46 PM10/25/14
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> Those of you who aren't cooking your bacon in the oven, well, you
> should be. Sturdy half sheet pans are best - do not use any of those
> cheap hand-me-downs from your mother that are warped or will warp as
> they heat up.
>
> Now the only controversy left is whether to put the bacon on a rack,
> leaving you with an extra item to wash, or place it right on the pan
> (optionally lined with foil to make cleanup easier).
>
> After numerous tests (okay, one) and highly scientific observation (a
> clock), it's much better to place the bacon right on the sheet pan.
> Your bacon will cook twice as fast since you're not relying on mostly
> dry heat with the rack method. With the pan method the bacon is
> surrounded by a small bit of wet 375F fat plus the conducted heat from
> the pan itself.
>
> There is no difference in texture. The only slight advantage to
> cooking on a rack is that you won't need to set your bacon on paper
> towels to sponge off the fat on the bottom. But you still need to dab
> with paper towels the tops of the bacon using either method.
>
> So now you know. Give up your rack, Jill! <cough>
>
> -sw

Best done in a sheet pan with no rack. If coated with a spray oil first,
whatever mess appears to be stuck on the pan afterwards will actually come
off very easily. I use either a quarter or half size commercial sheet pan.

But 375F is too hot.

MartyB

Nunya Bidnits

Oct 25, 2014, 4:06:14 PM10/25/14
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:
> On 2014-10-25, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
>
>> Those of you who aren't cooking your bacon in the oven, well, you
>> should be.
>
> Nonsense. You ever cleaned a dozen half sheets that jes finished oven
> baking bacon? I have. Hardest job in a resto kitchen.

Not if you hit them with spray oil first and cook them no hotter than 350F.
Wipes right off and the dishwasher finished the job, and they come out
spotless. I think most people whould consider it counterintuitive to spray a
pan full of such a fatty food, but it works.

MartyB

notbob

Oct 25, 2014, 4:12:10 PM10/25/14
On 2014-10-25, Nunya Bidnits <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

> I think most people whould consider it counterintuitive to spray a
> pan full of such a fatty food, but it works.

I would. I don't know if they sprayed the pans or not. This was 6 yrs
ago.

nb

ImStillMags

Oct 25, 2014, 4:20:58 PM10/25/14
I agree. 350 is just right. Spray they pan and save the drippings in a container.
Cleans right up, no problem. I use a half sheet cause that's my oven size.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 25, 2014, 4:31:27 PM10/25/14
On 10/25/2014 3:26 PM, notbob wrote:
`
> I'd rather babysit my bacon in a cheapo WW non-stick skillet, for 15
> mins, than clean even a single alum sheet, half or otherwise. ;)
>
> nb

I do a pound at a time on a Teflon coated aluminum griddle over two
burners. After the bacon, I do the eggs or pancakes. No more than
cleaning a pan from the eggs anyway.

Maybe I should try it again, but the baked bacon did not impress me when
we tried it.

notbob

Oct 25, 2014, 4:45:14 PM10/25/14
On 2014-10-25, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

> Maybe I should try it again, but the baked bacon did not impress me when
> we tried it.

I can do bacon jes fine in a skillet. The secret is, use a low temp
and take yer time. Hot and fast is no way to cook bacon.

nb

billn

Oct 25, 2014, 5:35:37 PM10/25/14

"Sqwertz" wrote:

[...]

No rack, 325 degrees in convection oven. Perfect every time!
--
Bill_n

Nunya Bidnits

Oct 25, 2014, 5:37:42 PM10/25/14
Given the problem you stated, it's unlikely they sprayed the pans. Last time
I did it was last Tuesday.

MartyB

Nunya Bidnits

Oct 25, 2014, 5:40:37 PM10/25/14
In a skillet, I agree. Too hot a pan and the bacon gets overdone in the
center and raw on the edges unless you fuss with it a lot. In baking pans I
go somewhere between 325 and 350F. I try to pull it just as it starts to
foam and it helps to rotate the pan once during cooking since I don't have
convection.

MartyB

MartyB.

cshenk

Oct 25, 2014, 6:18:29 PM10/25/14
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Those of you who aren't cooking your bacon in the oven, well, you
> should be. Sturdy half sheet pans are best - do not use any of those
> cheap hand-me-downs from your mother that are warped or will warp as
> they heat up.
>
> Now the only controversy left is whether to put the bacon on a rack,
> leaving you with an extra item to wash, or place it right on the pan
> (optionally lined with foil to make cleanup easier).
>
> After numerous tests (okay, one) and highly scientific observation (a
> clock), it's much better to place the bacon right on the sheet pan.
> Your bacon will cook twice as fast since you're not relying on mostly
> dry heat with the rack method. With the pan method the bacon is
> surrounded by a small bit of wet 375F fat plus the conducted heat from
> the pan itself.
>
> There is no difference in texture. The only slight advantage to
> cooking on a rack is that you won't need to set your bacon on paper
> towels to sponge off the fat on the bottom. But you still need to dab
> with paper towels the tops of the bacon using either method.
>
> So now you know. Give up your rack, Jill! <cough>
>
> -sw

Nope, sorry. Cast iron on the stove for me. Lift it out and use the
'drippins' for the next dish.

pltrgyst

Oct 25, 2014, 6:49:03 PM10/25/14
On 10/25/14, 6:18 PM, cshenk wrote:

> Nope, sorry. Cast iron on the stove for me....

And how many thick slices can you fit at one time in your largest cast
iron pan, without inducing uneven cooking?

We need at least 12 slices for the two of us...

-- Larry

pltrgyst

Oct 25, 2014, 6:49:09 PM10/25/14
On 10/25/14, 2:05 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> Now the only controversy left is whether to put the bacon on a rack,
> leaving you with an extra item to wash, or place it right on the pan
> (optionally lined with foil to make cleanup easier).
>
> There is no difference in texture. The only slight advantage to
> cooking on a rack is that you won't need to set your bacon on paper
> towels to sponge off the fat on the bottom. But you still need to dab
> with paper towels the tops of the bacon using either method.
>
> So now you know. Give up your rack, Jill! <cough>

She might, but I won't. 8;)

You can also place the bacon on a sheet of aluminum foil atop the rack,
cut a few slits in it for the fat to run down into the pan, and avoid
anything being burnt onto either the rack or the pan. I stopped doing
that a long time ago, though.

IMO, bacon on the rack stays flatter and the underside is crisper. And
those advantages are amplified as the slices get thicker. And I think I
also get more bacon fat, with fewer fat-absorbing particles to be filtered.

A ten minute soak upside down in the sheet pan, and the rack and pan
clean-up is nothing.

But to each his own ... it's all bacon!

-- Larry

Nunya Bidnits

Oct 25, 2014, 7:02:28 PM10/25/14
It stays completely flat for me in a sheet pan. By sprayijng with spray oil
the crusty stuff mostly wipes right off. Dishwasher does the rest. But I
wouldn't want to clean up a rack, although if I was to use one I'd spray it
as well.

Sometimes I pour off some of the fat midway through the cooking, which is
better for thick sliced bacon. But most of the time I prefer thin sliced.

MartyB

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 25, 2014, 8:23:37 PM10/25/14
Gas range?

This easily does 12 slices and then I do the eggs

http://www.allamericancanner.com/Ocd4240.htm

Made in the USA too. Been using it for many years whenever I need a
large flat surface.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 25, 2014, 8:28:59 PM10/25/14
On 10/25/2014 7:19 PM, l not -l wrote:

> No rack, no oven, 3 strips, in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop - perfect
> every time. That's what works for me, at least since there are no longer 4
> people in the home.

I make bacon on the weekends. What we don't eat I put in the freezer
for during the week. Two slices 30 seconds in the MW. I don't want to
take the time on workdays but I still have bacon.

cshenk

Oct 25, 2014, 8:43:23 PM10/25/14
pltrgyst wrote in rec.food.cooking:
8 slices. Thats enough for most normal 2 adults.

Pete C.

Oct 25, 2014, 8:53:09 PM10/25/14

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 13:15:15 -0500, "Pete C." <auxRe...@wpnet.us>
> wrote:
>
> > Rack and (forced) convection oven, the same way I do meatballs.
>
> Does that mean the meatballs brown as if they'd been fried?

They do get a decent "crust", not sure if quite the same as fried, but
pretty close if I bake them at 400F.

cshenk

Oct 25, 2014, 9:06:06 PM10/25/14
Ed Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:
My cast iron is almost sure to be USA as well. I got the big pan when I
was about 18 off a lady who I now realize is the age I am. She got it
used during the depression era as a wedding gift.

A reasonable estimate it is it at least 100 years old. There are no
markings left other than something enigmatic under the handle.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 25, 2014, 11:06:50 PM10/25/14
On 10/25/2014 9:06 PM, cshenk wrote:

> A reasonable estimate it is it at least 100 years old. There are no
> markings left other than something enigmatic under the handle.

You could spend a fortnight trying to figure that enigmatic stuff.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 26, 2014, 1:43:25 AM10/26/14
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 1:05:09 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

> Those of you who aren't cooking your bacon in the oven, well, you
> should be. Sturdy half sheet pans are best - do not use any of those
> cheap hand-me-downs from your mother that are warped or will warp as
> they heat up.
>

> -sw

I do it in the oven as well, no rack, and a piece of aluminum foil just laid over the top to catch any splatters. Grease is saved in a small jar in the 'fridge for cornbread.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Nunya Bidnits

Oct 26, 2014, 12:07:42 PM10/26/14
There are some sites for cast iron which show the various old manufacturers'
marks. Combine that with a couple features, for example, does it have a fire
ring, and what is the shape of the handle, and you may be able to figure it
out. And sometimes the markings are just obliterated by crusted carbon but
can still be found with a good exterior deep cleaning.

MartyB

MartyB

Kalmia

Oct 26, 2014, 1:21:19 PM10/26/14
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:05:09 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> Those of you who aren't cooking your bacon in the oven, well, you
> should be.

For the little bacon I need at any given time, stovetop will do. I dern sure ain't lightin' no oven fer 4 strips........

jmcquown

Oct 26, 2014, 4:48:39 PM10/26/14
On 10/25/2014 2:05 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Those of you who aren't cooking your bacon in the oven, well, you
> should be. Sturdy half sheet pans are best - do not use any of those
> cheap hand-me-downs from your mother that are warped or will warp as
> they heat up.
>
> Now the only controversy left is whether to put the bacon on a rack,
> leaving you with an extra item to wash, or place it right on the pan
> (optionally lined with foil to make cleanup easier).
>
> After numerous tests (okay, one) and highly scientific observation (a
> clock), it's much better to place the bacon right on the sheet pan.
> Your bacon will cook twice as fast since you're not relying on mostly
> dry heat with the rack method. With the pan method the bacon is
> surrounded by a small bit of wet 375F fat plus the conducted heat from
> the pan itself.
>
> There is no difference in texture. The only slight advantage to
> cooking on a rack is that you won't need to set your bacon on paper
> towels to sponge off the fat on the bottom. But you still need to dab
> with paper towels the tops of the bacon using either method.
>
> So now you know. Give up your rack, Jill! <cough>
>
> -sw

LOL I use the broiler pan (the deep drip pan is lined with foil for
easy cleanup - I do NOT save bacon drippings). The rack is easy enough
to clean. But hey, use whatever pan you want. :)

Jill

jmcquown

Oct 26, 2014, 5:11:54 PM10/26/14
When I bake bacon, I bake it a pound at a time. I freeze what is not
needed for breakfast so I can just zap it in the microwave or crumble it
to add to something like potato soup later. Unlike many people here, I
do not save bacon grease to cook with.

Jill

jmcquown

Oct 26, 2014, 5:35:15 PM10/26/14
On 10/26/2014 4:33 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 18:49:05 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:
>
>> You can also place the bacon on a sheet of aluminum foil atop the rack,
>> cut a few slits in it for the fat to run down into the pan, and avoid
>> anything being burnt onto either the rack or the pan.
>
> Here lies the epitome of why I posted the method in the first place.
>
> There are many convoluted, overly-complicated, and downright asinine
> reasons for cooking bacon.
>
> The only way that's better is on a flat top grill under a bacon press.
>
> -sw

I've seen them do that at diners where they have short-order cooks.
Flat grill, bacon press. I thought about ordering a bacon press but I
don't cook bacon often enough to bother with yet another thing to clean.

Jill
Message has been deleted

cshenk

Oct 26, 2014, 6:30:14 PM10/26/14
Nunya Bidnits wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Interesting! it has a fire ring. The handle has a common circular hole
where you would hang it by the fire place, radiating heat back inside
naturally.

There is evidence of what seems to be some sort of 'D' shaped item in 3
spots along the top that we think rusted out and was thinner metal.
?Used to hang it over a tripod in the fireplace?

And no, there is no upper marking to be discovered. It's been that
well scrubbed over the ages. Just something under the handle. If I
were to guess, a sort of infnity symbol. I tried a web search but they
only seem to go back to the 30's and this pan doesnt match. Doesnt
really matter though. Who ever made it or used it, would be delighted
to see it still in use in 2014.

Carol

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 27, 2014, 12:10:05 AM10/27/14
On Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:11:54 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> Unlike many people here, I
> do not save bacon grease to cook with.
>
> Jill

It's wonderful in cornbread.

jmcquown

Oct 27, 2014, 7:37:02 AM10/27/14
So I've heard. :) The fact is, I don't cook bacon *or* cornbread often
enough to warrant hanging onto a little bit of bacon grease.

Jill

sf

Oct 27, 2014, 1:19:30 PM10/27/14
On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:36:52 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Agree. I have some chicken fat in the refrigerator because someone
was saying how wonderful it is to cook with... have I even thought
about using it when I cook? No. The only thing I want to taste like
chicken is chicken. When I cook chicken, it's thigh and that has
enough fat on it already. So, I have to remind myself wth is in that
container and why it's there every time I see it.