Gumbo night!

cshenk

Sep 23, 2023, 6:08:44 PM9/23/23
This recipe is Cajun and one of my favorites. It's infuences are
African American, Native American, and creole. It has as many versions
as there are cooks. For example, it may or may not include any of the
following: Crawfish (peeled tails or whole), shrimp, alligator, snake,
shrimp, chicken or pork sausage. It is normally tomato based but can
be fish broth based with a deep roux that is just short of burned white
flour.

Most call for hot peppers, like habaneros are common. I went for
milder cubanelles and a tomato based version backed by a fish stock.

Carol's Gumbo

1 15oz can diced tomatos with chiles (undrained)
1 1/3 cups shrimp stock
2 TB browned flour
2 TB bacon fat
1/2 red onion chopped
1/2 portabello cap
5 oz okra
4 mini-peppers (bell, yellow, red and orange)
5 cloves garlic, thin sliced
1 TB worchestershire sauce
bay leaf
6 oz crawfish tails
4 oz peeled shrimp (smaller count)
1 ts 'Cajun seasoning' (Tony Cachachere sp?)
1.5 cups cooked rice

Came out really nice!

Bruce

Sep 23, 2023, 6:12:04 PM9/23/23
On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:08:27 +0000, "cshenk"
<csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>This recipe is Cajun and one of my favorites. It's infuences are
>African American, Native American, and creole.

There's your French influence also in your cooking, cshenk:
"Creole cooking is heavily influenced by French cuisine. The first
Creole settlers in Louisiana were French, and they brought their
culinary traditions with them."
(source: my artificially intelligent friend)

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Dave Smith

Sep 23, 2023, 6:17:26 PM9/23/23
Mushrooms in gumbo = TIAD (taste in Ass Disease)

Bruce

Sep 23, 2023, 6:35:38 PM9/23/23

Thomas

Sep 23, 2023, 6:58:39 PM9/23/23
How do you get shrimp stock?

jmcquown

Sep 23, 2023, 7:05:07 PM9/23/23
Glad you enjoyed it! I much prefer gumbo made with chicken & sausage
(andouille) vs. the seafood version, but hey, cook's choice. :) One
thing I'd add is a little filé powder (ground sassafrass leaves). Stir
it in at the end, after you've taken the gumbo off the heat. It acts
not only as a seasoning but also as a thickener. Hence the term "filé
gumbo".

Jill

Hank Rogers

Sep 23, 2023, 7:07:26 PM9/23/23
Thank you officer dave.

Bruce

Sep 23, 2023, 7:08:24 PM9/23/23
On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:04:49 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
You always have to add that you don't like this, don't like that,
never buy this, not interested in that. Where's Gary when we need him?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 23, 2023, 7:09:46 PM9/23/23
On Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 5:58:39 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:

> How do you get shrimp stock?

If shell-on shrimp are used, the shells are saved after peeling and cleaning
the critters. Then the shells are simmered in water, strained, and you have
shrimp stock.

jmcquown

Sep 23, 2023, 7:30:50 PM9/23/23
Yes, and as with any stock you need to add onion, celery, garlic and
seasonings to the water and cook it low and slow to make the stock.

Jill

Bruce

Sep 23, 2023, 7:41:21 PM9/23/23
On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:30:33 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
That's a lot of things you need to have in stock.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Thomas

Sep 23, 2023, 7:55:56 PM9/23/23
cshenk, are you peeling the tiny shrimp to make stock?

songbird

Sep 23, 2023, 8:10:31 PM9/23/23
it is a rare dish where seafood and tomatoes of
any kind are mingled agreeably in my tastes, i would
try this. :)

songbird

Michael Trew

Sep 23, 2023, 11:21:10 PM9/23/23
On 9/23/2023 6:08 PM, cshenk wrote:

> Carol's Gumbo
>
> 1 15oz can diced tomatos with chiles (undrained)
> 1 1/3 cups shrimp stock
> 2 TB browned flour
> 2 TB bacon fat
> 1/2 red onion chopped
> 1/2 portabello cap
> 5 oz okra
> 4 mini-peppers (bell, yellow, red and orange)
> 5 cloves garlic, thin sliced
> 1 TB worchestershire sauce
> bay leaf
> 6 oz crawfish tails
> 4 oz peeled shrimp (smaller count)
> 1 ts 'Cajun seasoning' (Tony Cachachere sp?)
> 1.5 cups cooked rice

Thanks, that might just hit the spot tomorrow or Monday, instead of the
pot of chili that I was planning. Maybe a few alterations. I just so
happen to have a few fresh chili's to use up. I don't think I've ever
made shrimp stock, but I have shell-on shrimp in the deep freezer.

Would you think it a problem to cook washed rice in the gumbo, rather
than adding cooked rice?

jmcquown

Sep 24, 2023, 8:35:36 AM9/24/23
Gumbo is served in a bowl *over* a couple of spoonfuls of cooked rice.
The rice is not added to it.

Jill

bruce bowser

Sep 24, 2023, 11:33:53 AM9/24/23
Gumbo and Jambalaya both have rice, but I never saw any difference between the two.

cshenk

Sep 24, 2023, 1:55:23 PM9/24/23
Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:08:27 +0000, "cshenk"
> <csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
>
> > This recipe is Cajun and one of my favorites. It's infuences are
> > African American, Native American, and creole.
>
> There's your French influence also in your cooking, cshenk:
> "Creole cooking is heavily influenced by French cuisine. The first
> Creole settlers in Louisiana were French, and they brought their
> culinary traditions with them."
> (source: my artificially intelligent friend)

Bruce, it's cajun (though close at times). Sure a bit of French but
that's not the main element. Okra was called ki ngombo. file' powder
is called kombo by the Choctaw. The cajun blend has a good amount of
file' powder. These terms combined and are called 'gumbo' which is a
unique American dish. No matter how hard you try, gumbo isn't french.

cshenk

Sep 24, 2023, 1:56:00 PM9/24/23
I like them!

cshenk

Sep 24, 2023, 1:59:42 PM9/24/23
Grin, file' powder is in the seasoning mix. I do the chicken and
sausage type too from time to time.

cshenk

Sep 24, 2023, 2:18:22 PM9/24/23
The stock type can be swapped and it takes a lot of shrimp shells,
heads and tails to make stock. I've done it but this time I used a
powdered shrimp stock. I've also used dashi or chicken stock for it.

Trimmed off this post was a longish list of various meats. The list
here has a lot to do with what I had handy and a sale on crawfish tails
(grin).

Probably best to make the rice separate. Rice takes longer so start it
first and should be ready the same time the gumbo (started second) is.

cshenk

Sep 24, 2023, 2:33:36 PM9/24/23
> > Gumbo is served in a bowl over a couple of spoonfuls of cooked
> > rice. The rice is not added to it.
>
> Gumbo and Jambalaya both have rice, but I never saw any difference
> between the two.

Jambalaya comes from the same area and is an African, Spanish and
French affair. It is faintly more 'French' influenced with little to
no Native American notes. I do both types at times but am more prone
to make gumbo.

Thomas

Sep 24, 2023, 2:40:48 PM9/24/23
Thanks. That is what I wondered about.

Bruce

Sep 24, 2023, 3:08:43 PM9/24/23
"The main difference between gumbo and jambalaya is how the rice is
incorporated into the dish. Gumbo is a soup or stew that is typically
served with rice on the side. Jambalaya, on the other hand, is a rice
dish that is cooked with the other ingredients.

Another key difference between gumbo and jambalaya is the use of a
roux. A roux is a mixture of fat and flour that is cooked until it
turns a dark brown color. It is used to thicken gumbo, but it is not
typically used in jambalaya."
(source: my artificially intelligent friend)

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Thomas

Sep 24, 2023, 3:21:10 PM9/24/23
Are using the pay friend or the beginners friend?
Is it worth paying if so?

Bruce

Sep 24, 2023, 3:28:15 PM9/24/23
On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:55:08 +0000, "cshenk"
<csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:08:27 +0000, "cshenk"
>> <csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
>>
>> > This recipe is Cajun and one of my favorites. It's infuences are
>> > African American, Native American, and creole.
>>
>> There's your French influence also in your cooking, cshenk:
>> "Creole cooking is heavily influenced by French cuisine. The first
>> Creole settlers in Louisiana were French, and they brought their
>> culinary traditions with them."
>> (source: my artificially intelligent friend)
>
>Bruce, it's cajun (though close at times). Sure a bit of French but
>that's not the main element.

"Cajun cooking is heavily influenced by French cuisine. The Cajuns are
descendants of French colonists who were exiled from Acadia (now Nova
Scotia and New Brunswick) in the 18th century. They brought their
French cooking traditions with them to Louisiana, where they adapted
them to the local ingredients and climate."

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Dave Smith

Sep 24, 2023, 3:29:28 PM9/24/23
You like indulging forgers too.

Bruce

Sep 24, 2023, 3:47:09 PM9/24/23
On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 12:21:06 -0700 (PDT), Thomas <cano...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I use Bard from Microsoft. It's free or I use the free version. It's
very good, but when it doesn't know something, it makes things up.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 24, 2023, 3:55:45 PM9/24/23
> Bruce

My AI version doesn't have a name but if it doesn't know the answer to my
question it tells me it doesn't have information on my subject.

Bruce

Sep 24, 2023, 4:07:37 PM9/24/23
Sometimes it tells me that too, but other times it comes up with
nonsense. When I point that out, it says something like "You're right.
Apologies for the confusion. I'm still learning."

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 24, 2023, 4:47:05 PM9/24/23
> Bruce

I've had it ask me once to rephrase the question.

Bruce

Sep 24, 2023, 4:52:16 PM9/24/23
On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 13:47:02 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 3:07:37 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 12:55:40 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>> >>
>> >My AI version doesn't have a name but if it doesn't know the answer to my
>> >question it tells me it doesn't have information on my subject.
>> >
>> Sometimes it tells me that too, but other times it comes up with
>> nonsense. When I point that out, it says something like "You're right.
>> Apologies for the confusion. I'm still learning."
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>I've had it ask me once to rephrase the question.

That's better than a wild guess. I once asked it a question about a
Dutch female Tour de France rider. It gave me a spiel about how her
father was an ex Dutch cycling champion and how her two brothers are
also successful cyclists. All nonsense. She doesn't even have any
brothers :)

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Michael Trew

Sep 24, 2023, 7:34:40 PM9/24/23
On 9/24/2023 2:18 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> Would you think it a problem to cook washed rice in the gumbo, rather
>> than adding cooked rice?
>
> The stock type can be swapped and it takes a lot of shrimp shells,
> heads and tails to make stock. I've done it but this time I used a
> powdered shrimp stock. I've also used dashi or chicken stock for it.

I've never bought or used powdered or canned stock. I think I have a
ziploc baggie of home made poultry stock in the deep freeze. Perhaps I
can heat that up and simmer it with the shrimp shells/tails for a while.

> Trimmed off this post was a longish list of various meats. The list
> here has a lot to do with what I had handy and a sale on crawfish tails
> (grin).

I've never seen crawfish tails (or even crawfish) for sale at my local
market. In fact, any sea food arrives frozen. I suppose I could take a
good look down that aisle to see what's in stock.

> Probably best to make the rice separate. Rice takes longer so start it
> first and should be ready the same time the gumbo (started second) is.

Thanks. Jill also mentioned served over rice. I guess I was thinking
of Jambalaya where the rice is cooked in. I've never really considered
the difference between the two dishes. I usually make jambalaya.

Michael Trew

Sep 24, 2023, 7:35:02 PM9/24/23
On 9/24/2023 2:18 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> Would you think it a problem to cook washed rice in the gumbo, rather
>> than adding cooked rice?
>
> The stock type can be swapped and it takes a lot of shrimp shells,
> heads and tails to make stock. I've done it but this time I used a
> powdered shrimp stock. I've also used dashi or chicken stock for it.

I've never bought or used powdered or canned stock. I think I have a
ziploc baggie of home made poultry stock in the deep freeze. Perhaps I
can heat that up and simmer it with the shrimp shells/tails for a while.

> Trimmed off this post was a longish list of various meats. The list
> here has a lot to do with what I had handy and a sale on crawfish tails
> (grin).

I've never seen crawfish tails (or even crawfish) for sale at my local
market. In fact, any sea food arrives frozen. I suppose I could take a
good look down that aisle to see what's in stock.

> Probably best to make the rice separate. Rice takes longer so start it
> first and should be ready the same time the gumbo (started second) is.

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 24, 2023, 10:44:17 PM9/24/23
On 2023-09-24, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:

> Thanks, that might just hit the spot tomorrow or Monday, instead of the
> pot of chili that I was planning. Maybe a few alterations. I just so
> happen to have a few fresh chili's to use up. I don't think I've ever
> made shrimp stock, but I have shell-on shrimp in the deep freezer.

As Jill mentioned above, add other things. I boiled up a bunch of shrimp
shells once for stock. I added nothing else. The stock tasted about a
millionth of a percent better than just water.
I don't do it right. I don't think that google was a thing back then.

bruce bowser

Sep 25, 2023, 7:51:43 AM9/25/23
Not everyone even knows. Anyway, just use Tom Ramen or Maruchan shrimp packages for shrimp stock.

cshenk

Sep 25, 2023, 4:46:29 PM9/25/23
Wrong site Bruce. Anyway, this is pointless. You have simply decided
Americans are highly influenced by French cooking and no amount of
explaining that it isn't true can get through.

French influence is a thing in Quebec and New Orleans/Louisiana. I
said that at the start.

cshenk

Sep 25, 2023, 4:56:43 PM9/25/23
Michael Trew wrote:

> On 9/24/2023 2:18 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Michael Trew wrote:
> > >
> > > Would you think it a problem to cook washed rice in the gumbo,
> > > rather than adding cooked rice?
> >
> > The stock type can be swapped and it takes a lot of shrimp shells,
> > heads and tails to make stock. I've done it but this time I used a
> > powdered shrimp stock. I've also used dashi or chicken stock for
> > it.
>
> I've never bought or used powdered or canned stock. I think I have a
> ziploc baggie of home made poultry stock in the deep freeze. Perhaps
> I can heat that up and simmer it with the shrimp shells/tails for a
> while.

That should work!

> > Trimmed off this post was a longish list of various meats. The list
> > here has a lot to do with what I had handy and a sale on crawfish
> > tails (grin).
>
> I've never seen crawfish tails (or even crawfish) for sale at my
> local market. In fact, any sea food arrives frozen. I suppose I
> could take a good look down that aisle to see what's in stock.

Look to the freezer case and sometimes refrigerated cans. Mine were
canned.

> > Probably best to make the rice separate. Rice takes longer so
> > start it first and should be ready the same time the gumbo (started
> > second) is.
>
> Thanks. Jill also mentioned served over rice. I guess I was
> thinking of Jambalaya where the rice is cooked in. I've never really
> considered the difference between the two dishes. I usually make
> jambalaya.

No problem! Jambalaya seldom uses Okra I think, and omits the file'
powder too.

Bruce

Sep 25, 2023, 5:14:14 PM9/25/23
On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 20:46:14 +0000, "cshenk"
<csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Sep 2023 17:55:08 +0000, "cshenk"
>> <csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Bruce, it's cajun (though close at times). Sure a bit of French but
>> > that's not the main element.
>>
>> "Cajun cooking is heavily influenced by French cuisine. The Cajuns are
>> descendants of French colonists who were exiled from Acadia (now Nova
>> Scotia and New Brunswick) in the 18th century. They brought their
>> French cooking traditions with them to Louisiana, where they adapted
>> them to the local ingredients and climate."
>
>Wrong site Bruce.

Because it proves you wrong?

>Anyway, this is pointless. You have simply decided
>Americans are highly influenced by French cooking and no amount of
>explaining that it isn't true can get through.

Not just Americans. Western cooking in general. And not only by
French, but a lot by French.

>French influence is a thing in Quebec and New Orleans/Louisiana. I
>said that at the start.

The influence is much broader than that, but we're not going to agree
on this.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Dave Smith

Sep 25, 2023, 5:45:59 PM9/25/23
There are some French restaurants in Quebec. Quebecois cooking is not
at all like French cooking.

Bruce

Sep 25, 2023, 6:19:39 PM9/25/23
I'm not even talking about French restaurants. But never mind.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

jmcquown

Sep 25, 2023, 8:40:47 PM9/25/23
On 9/25/2023 4:56 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:

>>> The stock type can be swapped and it takes a lot of shrimp shells,
>>> heads and tails to make stock. I've done it but this time I used a
>>> powdered shrimp stock. I've also used dashi or chicken stock for
>>> it.
>>
>> I've never bought or used powdered or canned stock. I think I have a
>> ziploc baggie of home made poultry stock in the deep freeze. Perhaps
>> I can heat that up and simmer it with the shrimp shells/tails for a
>> while.
>
> That should work!
>
>>> Trimmed off this post was a longish list of various meats. The list
>>> here has a lot to do with what I had handy and a sale on crawfish
>>> tails (grin).
>>
>> I've never seen crawfish tails (or even crawfish) for sale at my
>> local market. In fact, any sea food arrives frozen. I suppose I
>> could take a good look down that aisle to see what's in stock.
>
> Look to the freezer case and sometimes refrigerated cans. Mine were
> canned.

I doubt where Michael lives in Ohio there is frozen crawfish tail meat,
much less refrigerated canned crawfish tail meat. Not even in nearby
Pittsburgh. Hell, it took me forever to find frozen crawfish tail meat
in Memphis and I was a lot closer to Louisiana. I am lucky I can find
frozen crawfish tail meat in SC.

>>> Probably best to make the rice separate. Rice takes longer so
>>> start it first and should be ready the same time the gumbo (started
>>> second) is.
>>
>> Thanks. Jill also mentioned served over rice. I guess I was
>> thinking of Jambalaya where the rice is cooked in. I've never really
>> considered the difference between the two dishes. I usually make
>> jambalaya.
>
> No problem! Jambalaya seldom uses Okra I think, and omits the file'
> powder too.

The cooking method for jambalaya is totally different from gumbo. It is
more like cooking red beans and rice. The rice is cooked and stirred
into the dish along with everything else. Not so with gumbo, which is a
stew spooned over rice. You're right about jambalaya not containing
okra. It also doesn't contain file' powder.

Jill

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 26, 2023, 5:32:29 AM9/26/23
On 2023-09-26, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 9/25/2023 4:56 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Michael Trew wrote:

>>> I've never bought or used powdered or canned stock. I think I have a
>>> ziploc baggie of home made poultry stock in the deep freeze. Perhaps
>>> I can heat that up and simmer it with the shrimp shells/tails for a
>>> while.
>>
>> That should work!

>>> I've never seen crawfish tails (or even crawfish) for sale at my
>>> local market. In fact, any sea food arrives frozen. I suppose I
>>> could take a good look down that aisle to see what's in stock.
>
> I doubt where Michael lives in Ohio there is frozen crawfish tail meat,

Walmart allegedly has frozen crawfish (whole and tails) at several
locations near here. There might not be a market for it in Michael's
area, though. Obviously, if there's no market, they won't stock it.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Sep 26, 2023, 6:41:59 AM9/26/23
East Liverpool homeboys don't eat crawfish. They eat cows.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Michael Trew

Sep 26, 2023, 11:41:19 PM9/26/23
I don't shop at Walmart. I thoroughly checked the local Giant Eagle
seafood "selection" (all frozen) this evening. Absolutely no crawfish
of any kind. Very expensive shrimp, however (which I did not buy).
Carol did later admit the crawfish tails that she used came out of a can.

> East Liverpool homeboys

Good Lord, let it go. You wonder why you irritate so many people. The
same thing over and over and over again... Is not even remotely amusing.

Bruce

Sep 27, 2023, 1:20:26 AM9/27/23
Who says I wonder?

>The same thing over and over and over again... Is not even remotely amusing.

But am I right that East Liverpool homeboys don't eat much crawfish?
Irritating but correct?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Michael Trew

Sep 27, 2023, 8:36:43 PM9/27/23
I don't think that I've ever eaten a crawfish, if that's what you are
getting at.

The obnoxious repetitive name calling is the irritating part, not the
speculation on my diet.

Bruce

Sep 27, 2023, 9:15:53 PM9/27/23
On Wed, 27 Sep 2023 20:36:40 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 9/27/2023 1:20 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 23:41:15 -0400, Michael Trew
>> <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The same thing over and over and over again... Is not even remotely amusing.
>>
>> But am I right that East Liverpool homeboys don't eat much crawfish?
>> Irritating but correct?
>
>I don't think that I've ever eaten a crawfish, if that's what you are
>getting at.
>
>The obnoxious repetitive name calling is the irritating part, not the
>speculation on my diet.

I didn't think 'homeboys' was name calling. I meant local guys, rather
strictly defined by the one particular socio-geographical environment
they were born and raised in.

But that's such a mouthful.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

cshenk

Sep 28, 2023, 4:40:30 PM9/28/23
Michael Trew wrote:

> On 9/26/2023 6:41 AM, Bruce wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:32:20 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
> ><hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

> > > Walmart allegedly has frozen crawfish (whole and tails) at several
> > > locations near here. There might not be a market for it in
> > > Michael's area, though. Obviously, if there's no market, they
> > > won't stock it.
>
> I don't shop at Walmart. I thoroughly checked the local Giant Eagle
> seafood "selection" (all frozen) this evening. Absolutely no
> crawfish of any kind. Very expensive shrimp, however (which I did
> not buy). Carol did later admit the crawfish tails that she used came
> out of a can.

Yes but only because they were on sale. Fresh tails, kept refrigerated
(not shelf stable). They also have frozen whole ones in the seafood
freezer case. Those are fun to have handy for a 'white chile'! Very
pretty presentation.

Anyways, Harris Teeters has all sorts of good stuff for scratch
cooking. Krogers and Food Lion don't even come close.

Back to Gumbo versions. You'll need to make adaptions from crawdads so
easy to replace the broth with chicken broth and some cutup boneless
chicken. I think Jill mentioned Andullie sausage (I prefer kielbasa)
but there are plenty of variations, even pork ones. Some use no roux
but opt for arrowroot from the nearby Choctaw tribe. Rice is optional
in some gumbo versions, but a nice touch.

On the rice, both gumbo and jambalaya are forgiving of any type so long
as it's actually rice. It's cooked separate in a gumbo but in the same
pot with jambalaya. Purist jambalaya has no file' or okra but I'm sure
if a farmer had a bumper crop of okra, some would be in there (grin).

jmcquown

Sep 28, 2023, 4:51:16 PM9/28/23
On 9/27/2023 8:36 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/27/2023 1:20 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 23:41:15 -0400, Michael Trew
>> <michae...@att.net>  wrote:
>>>
>> East Liverpool homeboys
>>>
>>> Good Lord, let it go.  You wonder why you irritate so many people.
>>
>> Who says I wonder?
>>
>>> The same thing over and over and over again...  Is not even remotely
>>> amusing.
>>
>> But am I right that East Liverpool homeboys don't eat much crawfish?
>> Irritating but correct?
>
> I don't think that I've ever eaten a crawfish, if that's what you are
> getting at.

I can't state with absolute authority but I sincerely doubt crawfish is
commonly available in Ohio or western Pennsylvania. Gumbo is a Cajun
dish that originated in southern Louisiana. Perhaps Bruce should look
at a map of the United States.

> The obnoxious repetitive name calling is the irritating part, not the
> speculation on my diet.

Yep!

Jill

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 28, 2023, 5:05:54 PM9/28/23
On 2023-09-28, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 9/27/2023 8:36 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 9/27/2023 1:20 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 23:41:15 -0400, Michael Trew
>>> <michae...@att.net>  wrote:
>>>>
>>> East Liverpool homeboys

>>> Who says I wonder?

>>> But am I right that East Liverpool homeboys don't eat much crawfish?
>>> Irritating but correct?
>>
>> I don't think that I've ever eaten a crawfish, if that's what you are
>> getting at.
>>
> I can't state with absolute authority but I sincerely doubt crawfish is
> commonly available in Ohio or western Pennsylvania. Gumbo is a Cajun
> dish that originated in southern Louisiana. Perhaps Bruce should look
> at a map of the United States.

I suspect that if you shop at more high-end grocery stores and
fishmongers, it's readily available if you want to buy it.

For example, Wholey's Market in Pittsburgh has whole cooked crawfish
(Jesus, $10/pound) and crawfish tail meat.

And, of course, you can get it in restaurants such as Creole Kitchen
in Columbus, OH.

But, of course, you're not going to find it at every Sav-a-Lot.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Hank Rogers

Sep 28, 2023, 5:10:17 PM9/28/23
Damn. I thought her majesty only shops at high end grocers,
like Publix!

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 5:11:09 PM9/28/23
On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:50:55 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>>> But am I right that East Liverpool homeboys don't eat much crawfish?
>>> Irritating but correct?
>>
>> I don't think that I've ever eaten a crawfish, if that's what you are
>> getting at.
>>
>I can't state with absolute authority but I sincerely doubt crawfish is
>commonly available in Ohio or western Pennsylvania. Gumbo is a Cajun
>dish that originated in southern Louisiana. Perhaps Bruce should look
>at a map of the United States.

And then what?

>> The obnoxious repetitive name calling is the irritating part, not the
>> speculation on my diet.
>
>Yep!

Is local yokel offensive? I was a local yokel myself once, before I
became a man of the world.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

jmcquown

Sep 28, 2023, 5:21:51 PM9/28/23
On 9/28/2023 5:05 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2023-09-28, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> I don't think that I've ever eaten a crawfish, if that's what you are
>>> getting at.
>>>
>> I can't state with absolute authority but I sincerely doubt crawfish is
>> commonly available in Ohio or western Pennsylvania. Gumbo is a Cajun
>> dish that originated in southern Louisiana. Perhaps Bruce should look
>> at a map of the United States.
>
> I suspect that if you shop at more high-end grocery stores and
> fishmongers, it's readily available if you want to buy it.
>
> For example, Wholey's Market in Pittsburgh has whole cooked crawfish
> (Jesus, $10/pound) and crawfish tail meat.

It's been several years since I bought crawfish tail meat; it was frozen
and was not cheap. That was at Publix, which is a more high-end
southern supermarket.

> And, of course, you can get it in restaurants such as Creole Kitchen
> in Columbus, OH.

A restaurant in Columbus, OH is a tad out of his way. ;)

> But, of course, you're not going to find it at every Sav-a-Lot.

No, he likely won't find it in stores like that and if Giant Eagle
doesn't stock it there likely is no demand for it, same as you said in
another reply.

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 28, 2023, 5:41:18 PM9/28/23
On 9/28/2023 4:40 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>
>> On 9/26/2023 6:41 AM, Bruce wrote:

>> I don't shop at Walmart. I thoroughly checked the local Giant Eagle
>> seafood "selection" (all frozen) this evening. Absolutely no
>> crawfish of any kind. Very expensive shrimp, however (which I did
>> not buy). Carol did later admit the crawfish tails that she used came
>> out of a can.
>
> Yes but only because they were on sale. Fresh tails, kept refrigerated
> (not shelf stable). They also have frozen whole ones in the seafood
> freezer case. Those are fun to have handy for a 'white chile'! Very
> pretty presentation.

I can't say I've ever seen canned crawfish tail meat, not that I've
looked for it.

> Back to Gumbo versions. You'll need to make adaptions from crawdads so
> easy to replace the broth with chicken broth and some cutup boneless
> chicken. I think Jill mentioned Andullie sausage (I prefer kielbasa)
> but there are plenty of variations, even pork ones. Some use no roux
> but opt for arrowroot from the nearby Choctaw tribe. Rice is optional
> in some gumbo versions, but a nice touch.

I think if Michael would like to try a Chicken & Sausage version of
Gumbo, he should look for Andouille sausage but even that may be
difficult for him to find unless he's looking at a higher end grocery
store. Kielbasa will work. As for the roux, I would recommend he learn
to make a very dark roux (constant stirring is required until it is deep
chocolate brown; it's very easy to go just a minute too long and burn it
which ruins the entire dish). Here's an old classic Justin Wilson video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs

Jill

GM

Sep 28, 2023, 5:56:29 PM9/28/23
jmCUNT wrote:

> I think if Michael would like to try a Chicken & Sausage version of
> Gumbo, he should look for Andouille sausage but even that may be
> difficult for him to find unless he's looking at a higher end grocery
> store.

Even Walmart has a number of andouille selections, YOU DUMB FUCKING CUNT...

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=andouille%20sausage&typeahead=andouille

https://postimg.cc/Hjh4Lcvh

--
GM

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 28, 2023, 6:06:01 PM9/28/23
On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 4:56:29 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:

> jill wrote:
>
> > I think if Michael would like to try a Chicken & Sausage version of
> > Gumbo, he should look for Andouille sausage but even that may be
> > difficult for him to find unless he's looking at a higher end grocery
> > store.
> >
> Even Walmart has a number of andouille selections..
>
> https://www.walmart.com/search?q=andouille%20sausage&typeahead=andouille
>
> https://postimg.cc/Hjh4Lcvh
>
> GM

Michael has stated he does not shop at Walmart.

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 6:10:20 PM9/28/23
Maybe he can't pay cash there.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

cshenk

Sep 28, 2023, 6:17:12 PM9/28/23
Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 23:41:15 -0400, Michael Trew
> <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>
> > On 9/26/2023 6:41 AM, Bruce wrote:

> Michael's >>> area, though. Obviously, if there's no market, they
> won't stock it.
> >
> > I don't shop at Walmart. I thoroughly checked the local Giant
> > Eagle seafood "selection" (all frozen) this evening. Absolutely no
> > crawfish of any kind. Very expensive shrimp, however (which I did
> > not buy). Carol did later admit the crawfish tails that she used
> > came out of a can.
> >
> >> East Liverpool homeboys
> >
> > Good Lord, let it go. You wonder why you irritate so many people.
>
> Who says I wonder?
>
> > The same thing over and over and over again... Is not even
> > remotely amusing.
>
> But am I right that East Liverpool homeboys don't eat much crawfish?
> Irritating but correct?

Could be. Crawfish/crawdads/crayfish are globally existing fresh water
critter. More southerly though so might be an odd food to there. No
big deal. He'll probably make a variation without them since his store
doesn't have carry them. It's no big deal.

cshenk

Sep 28, 2023, 6:30:20 PM9/28/23
Bruce wrote:

> I didn't think 'homeboys' was name calling. I meant local guys, rather
> strictly defined by the one particular socio-geographical environment
> they were born and raised in.
>
> But that's such a mouthful.

'Homeboys' is a bit of an insult in American english. It doesn't mean
just born and raised there. It connotates to clueless redneck or
'rube'. Michael is neither.

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 6:38:32 PM9/28/23
I didn't mean it that negatively. He's not a redneck. He's just from a
rather secluded environment and hasn't seen much else yet. Now I just
need to find a good word for that.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Sep 28, 2023, 6:55:11 PM9/28/23
In the US, a white guy using a term used by black and Latino hoods would be pretty offensive. Evidently, in your town, it's completely inoffensive. My guess is that if I called somebody a "homeboy" in your town, I could get knifed.

jmcquown

Sep 28, 2023, 6:55:29 PM9/28/23
You're right, Joan, Michael did say that.

Jill

Dave Smith

Sep 28, 2023, 7:08:28 PM9/28/23
It means someone from the same neighbourhood, but more recently it tends
to refer to someone from the same ghetto or barrio.

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 7:10:32 PM9/28/23
On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:55:07 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
<dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 27, 2023 at 3:15:53 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> >
>> >The obnoxious repetitive name calling is the irritating part, not the
>> >speculation on my diet.
>> I didn't think 'homeboys' was name calling. I meant local guys, rather
>> strictly defined by the one particular socio-geographical environment
>> they were born and raised in.
>>
>> But that's such a mouthful.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce
>> <https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>
>
>In the US, a white guy using a term used by black and Latino hoods would be
>pretty offensive.

That's silly. I meant a local yokel, regardless of skin colour.

> Evidently, in your town, it's completely inoffensive. My guess is that if I called
> somebody a "homeboy" in your town, I could get knifed.

Why could you get knifed if it's inoffensive here? Anyway I don't
think anybody would care if you used that word.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 7:15:21 PM9/28/23
I don't know what a barrio is. I'm guessing it's where Mexican
homeboys live.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

jmcquown

Sep 28, 2023, 7:15:41 PM9/28/23
People of certain ethnicities refer to themselves as "homeboys" or
"homies". In current lexicon in the the US the term does not usually
include white people.

Jill

dsi1

Sep 28, 2023, 7:16:30 PM9/28/23
Today's word of the day is "disingenuous." Learn it, know it, live it.

“Disingenuous” means not straightforward, candid, or sincere. It can also mean slyly deceptive or misleading, typically by pretending to be ignorant or unaware. For example, “It was disingenuous of her to claim she had no financial interest in the case”

Hank Rogers

Sep 28, 2023, 7:24:36 PM9/28/23
Uncle tojo, you are a racist asshole and could easily be knifed
outside your shack in hiwaya.

Nobody would miss yoose.

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 7:26:52 PM9/28/23
On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:16:26 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
<dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

>On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 1:10:32 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:55:07 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

>> >In the US, a white guy using a term used by black and Latino hoods would be
>> >pretty offensive.
>> That's silly. I meant a local yokel, regardless of skin colour.
>> > Evidently, in your town, it's completely inoffensive. My guess is that if I called
>> > somebody a "homeboy" in your town, I could get knifed.
>
>> Why could you get knifed if it's inoffensive here? Anyway I don't
>> think anybody would care if you used that word.
>>
>Today's word of the day is "disingenuous." Learn it, know it, live it.
>
>“Disingenuous” means not straightforward, candid, or sincere. It can also mean slyly deceptive or misleading, typically by pretending to be ignorant or unaware. For example, “It was disingenuous of her to claim she had no financial interest in the case”

That's informative but I don't see the connection. The word 'homeboy'
just doesn't do much here.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Hank Rogers

Sep 28, 2023, 7:52:53 PM9/28/23
Thanks, your highness, I have recorded it.

Hank Rogers

Sep 28, 2023, 8:10:45 PM9/28/23
And certainly not royalty, such as your highness.

It's rather crude and distasteful, your majesty.

Hank Rogers

Sep 28, 2023, 8:18:31 PM9/28/23
Damn Tojo! Yoose done taught yoose master some hiwayan words!

Hope the shit sinks in.

cshenk

Sep 28, 2023, 8:21:44 PM9/28/23
jmcquown wrote:

> On 9/28/2023 4:40 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Michael Trew wrote:

> > > I don't shop at Walmart. I thoroughly checked the local Giant
> > > Eagle seafood "selection" (all frozen) this evening. Absolutely
> > > no crawfish of any kind. Very expensive shrimp, however (which I
> > > did not buy). Carol did later admit the crawfish tails that she
> > > used came out of a can.
> >
> > Yes but only because they were on sale. Fresh tails, kept
> > refrigerated (not shelf stable). They also have frozen whole ones
> > in the seafood freezer case. Those are fun to have handy for a
> > 'white chile'! Very pretty presentation.
> >
> I can't say I've ever seen canned crawfish tail meat, not that I've
> looked for it.

Well, if looking in the canned food isles, it's never there.

Just not there in his area.

dsi1

Sep 28, 2023, 8:32:21 PM9/28/23
You say you like to throw out words that don't mean much, you don't understand, or have different meanings from what the mean in America? Well how about that. I like to do the opposite. In a short while, all the rfc posts will be run through an AI psychoanalysis program and everybody here will have a pretty comprehensive file created. Get ready for that. You probably should work on upping your sincerity score.

cshenk

Sep 28, 2023, 8:40:11 PM9/28/23
Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:30:06 +0000, "cshenk"
> <csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote:
> >
> >> I didn't think 'homeboys' was name calling. I meant local guys,
> rather >> strictly defined by the one particular socio-geographical
> environment >> they were born and raised in.
> >>
> >> But that's such a mouthful.
> >
> > 'Homeboys' is a bit of an insult in American english. It doesn't
> > mean just born and raised there. It connotates to clueless redneck
> > or 'rube'. Michael is neither.
>
> I didn't mean it that negatively. He's not a redneck. He's just from a
> rather secluded environment and hasn't seen much else yet. Now I just
> need to find a good word for that.

Well don't try 'yokel' again. homeboy=yokel.

Michael is not untraveled. We saw him travel across 1/2 the UsA and
all the way to FL to see Ed. The trail was close to 3500 miles.
Hopping in a plane to see Mom and Dad where you grew up doesn't make
you well traveled either.

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 8:45:24 PM9/28/23
On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 17:32:17 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
<dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

>On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 1:26:52 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 16:16:26 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Today's word of the day is "disingenuous." Learn it, know it, live it.
>> >
>> >“Disingenuous” means not straightforward, candid, or sincere. It can also mean slyly deceptive or misleading, typically by pretending to be ignorant or unaware. For example, “It was disingenuous of her to claim she had no financial interest in the case”
>> >
>> That's informative but I don't see the connection. The word 'homeboy'
>> just doesn't do much here.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce
>> <https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>
>
>You say you like to throw out words that don't mean much, you don't understand, or have different meanings from what the mean in America?

The word 'homeboy' doesn't mean much here. I know it from an American
context. If I had to apply it to the Australian countryside, I'd be
referring to rural, white, local Anglo guys with a thick Australian
accent, who use 'mate' in every sentence, also referring to women.
They often have a first name as a last name. Martin John, John Martin,
Henry James, James Henry. Australian homeboys.

Hank Rogers

Sep 28, 2023, 8:46:12 PM9/28/23
Maybe there is a local ordinance forbidding it?
Maybe queen quown can send you a case of the cans? She isn't
always real nasty. Sometimes just a defense reaction.

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 8:55:04 PM9/28/23
On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 00:39:57 +0000, "cshenk"
Yes, there are his long car trips. I guess they count towards
broadening one's view. A fully local-only identity, such as Cindy,
would never do that.

cshenk

Sep 28, 2023, 8:55:49 PM9/28/23
That too. Maybe Bruce is getting a clue on it?

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 8:57:35 PM9/28/23
I guess East Liverpool isn't a ghetto, although Cindy calls it third
world.

cshenk

Sep 28, 2023, 9:01:49 PM9/28/23
Well now you know.

Hank Rogers

Sep 28, 2023, 9:09:06 PM9/28/23
THANKS Tojo. I can't wait for your AI stuff to be published !!

Yoose gonna be more famous than george jetson!

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 28, 2023, 10:37:56 PM9/28/23
On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 5:10:20 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:05:56 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
> >>
> >Michael has stated he does not shop at Walmart.
> >
> Maybe he can't pay cash there.
>
> Bruce

Walmart accepts cash, debit, or credit cards and even checks.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 28, 2023, 10:40:17 PM9/28/23
As usual Carol has it wrong. Homeboy is not an insult nor does it
connotates a clueless redneck or rube. But Carol is clueless.

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 10:43:57 PM9/28/23
And that's not how I meant it.

Michael Trew

Sep 28, 2023, 10:49:04 PM9/28/23
On 9/28/2023 6:30 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>
>> I didn't think 'homeboys' was name calling. I meant local guys, rather
>> strictly defined by the one particular socio-geographical environment
>> they were born and raised in.
>>
>> But that's such a mouthful.
>
> 'Homeboys' is a bit of an insult in American english. It doesn't mean
> just born and raised there. It connotates to clueless redneck or
> 'rube'. Michael is neither.

Bruce has repeated the same thing over a couple of dozen times in the
past month or two. He knows that he's purposefully pushing buttons, but
likes to pretend that he isn't.

Michael Trew

Sep 28, 2023, 10:51:29 PM9/28/23
On 9/28/2023 8:57 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2023 00:55:33 +0000, "cshenk"
>>
>> That too. Maybe Bruce is getting a clue on it?
>
> I guess East Liverpool isn't a ghetto, although Cindy calls it third
> world.

Cindy calls the whole of USA a third world country. I find it
irritating when people refer to somewhere as a third-world country,
using it as a derogatory term. All it means is a non-industrialized,
lesser developed country. It shouldn't carry a negative connotation.

Michael Trew

Sep 28, 2023, 10:56:49 PM9/28/23
On 9/28/2023 5:05 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I suspect that if you shop at more high-end grocery stores and
> fishmongers, it's readily available if you want to buy it.

Correct, I knew it wouldn't be available at my local market.

> For example, Wholey's Market in Pittsburgh has whole cooked crawfish
> (Jesus, $10/pound) and crawfish tail meat.

Wholey's market is nice, but it is quite pricey. I haven't been there
in years. To save a trip all the way to the strip district, I can go to
the Market District Giant Eagle in Robinson PA (near where I work at the
airport) to pick up fancy stuff. They have some stuff from Wholey's
there, and I imagine they carry other seafood and even crawfish tails.

> And, of course, you can get it in restaurants such as Creole Kitchen
> in Columbus, OH.

I'm not driving 2.5 hours to Columbus (if I can maintain 70 MPH on the
freeway).

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 10:59:08 PM9/28/23
Not a couple of dozen times, drama queen. Maybe 3 or 4 times and I
meant no harm by it. Some people love to play the victim :)

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 11:00:39 PM9/28/23
Cindy's definition of third world: When you have to travel more than 5
miles to find bibimbap :)

Michael Trew

Sep 28, 2023, 11:00:42 PM9/28/23
On 9/28/2023 5:40 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/28/2023 4:40 PM, cshenk wrote:
>
>> Back to Gumbo versions. You'll need to make adaptions from crawdads so
>> easy to replace the broth with chicken broth and some cutup boneless
>> chicken. I think Jill mentioned Andullie sausage (I prefer kielbasa)
>> but there are plenty of variations, even pork ones. Some use no roux
>> but opt for arrowroot from the nearby Choctaw tribe. Rice is optional
>> in some gumbo versions, but a nice touch.
>>
> I think if Michael would like to try a Chicken & Sausage version of
> Gumbo, he should look for Andouille sausage but even that may be
> difficult for him to find unless he's looking at a higher end grocery
> store. Kielbasa will work.

I've never seen andouille sausage, but I've also never looked for it. I
do like kielbasa, and always have at least one vacuum packed rope of it
in the cellar freezer.

> As for the roux, I would recommend he learn
> to make a very dark roux (constant stirring is required until it is deep
> chocolate brown; it's very easy to go just a minute too long and burn it
> which ruins the entire dish).

When the roux is made quite dark, the lessens the how well it thickens,
no? Sorry, I didn't watch the linked video. It's late, and I'm tired.

jmcquown

Sep 28, 2023, 11:13:50 PM9/28/23
No. The roux is the base, not the thickener. The video did not show
how to finish the gumbo, just how to get it started with the dark roux.
The thickener is the file powder which is added at the end when it is
taken off the heat. Carol used a powdered Creole seasoning blend (Tony
Cachere's) which she says contains file. I tried it for some other
Cajun food and found it to be mostly a bunch of filler spices, lots of
salt. I don't recommend it. She's also talking about arrowroot and
Choctaw which has nothing to do with the type of Cajun chicken &
sausage gumbo I'm referring to.

Jill

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 29, 2023, 5:07:56 AM9/29/23
"What is “Third World”? The modern definition of “Third World” is used
to classify countries that are poor or developing. Countries that are
part of the “third world” are generally characterized by (1) high rates
of poverty, (2) economic and/or political instability, and (3) high
mortality rates."

Not all of the U.S. is a third-world hellhole. Parts are.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 29, 2023, 5:10:56 AM9/29/23
On 2023-09-29, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
> On 9/28/2023 5:05 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> I suspect that if you shop at more high-end grocery stores and
>> fishmongers, it's readily available if you want to buy it.
>
> Correct, I knew it wouldn't be available at my local market.
>
>> For example, Wholey's Market in Pittsburgh has whole cooked crawfish
>> (Jesus, $10/pound) and crawfish tail meat.
>
> Wholey's market is nice, but it is quite pricey.

Thus affirming my thesis: "if you shop at more high-end grocery
stores".

> I haven't been there
> in years. To save a trip all the way to the strip district, I can go to
> the Market District Giant Eagle in Robinson PA (near where I work at the
> airport) to pick up fancy stuff. They have some stuff from Wholey's
> there, and I imagine they carry other seafood and even crawfish tails.
>
>> And, of course, you can get it in restaurants such as Creole Kitchen
>> in Columbus, OH.
>
> I'm not driving 2.5 hours to Columbus (if I can maintain 70 MPH on the
> freeway).

There are restaurants in Pittsburgh that serve crawfish. Jill mentioned
Ohio (without modifier), so I searched for a location likely to serve
crawfish.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Sep 29, 2023, 5:13:17 AM9/29/23
People I know were at Times Square just before covid. They liked it
but added: "Take 3 wrong turns and you're in the Third World."

bruce bowser

Sep 29, 2023, 6:36:16 AM9/29/23
We know. Mark Rutte's friends.

Dave Smith

Sep 29, 2023, 9:50:10 AM9/29/23
Political instability like the Jan.6 insurrection?

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 29, 2023, 10:07:12 AM9/29/23
That certainly is what I had in mind.

And, of course, our tendency to flip-flop our foreign policy every
time the government changes hands from D to R. That must be really
hard on our allies.

I still remember fondly how the UN laughed at Trump right to his face.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Sep 29, 2023, 10:10:10 AM9/29/23
On 2023-09-29 10:07 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2023-09-29, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> Not all of the U.S. is a third-world hellhole. Parts are.
>>>
>> Political instability like the Jan.6 insurrection?
>
> That certainly is what I had in mind.
>
> And, of course, our tendency to flip-flop our foreign policy every
> time the government changes hands from D to R. That must be really
> hard on our allies.
>
> I still remember fondly how the UN laughed at Trump right to his face.

It is puzzling that so many Americans like the man. The rest of the
world think he is a buffoon.

Bering Sea Bar & Brig@MarthaStewart.GoodThing

Sep 29, 2023, 2:51:18 PM9/29/23
I cherish Speaker Pelosi shredding the speech at a state of the union.
It is loading more messages.