Better than Hamburger Helper

Julie Bove

Nov 25, 2017, 12:33:07 PM11/25/17
Had a pound of ground beef to use up and was feeling uninspired so made
homemade mac and cheese and added the cooked ground beef. Very good but
filling! Actually used Rotini instead of macaroni. White sauce with
Tillamook medium cheddar, salt, pepper, onion and dry mustard.

Thomas

Nov 27, 2017, 10:24:47 AM11/27/17
I bet cottage cheese would be good here.

Julie Bove

Nov 27, 2017, 9:53:09 PM11/27/17

"Thomas" <cano...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Might have been. Am using it up tonight.

jmcquown

Nov 28, 2017, 10:53:04 AM11/28/17
On 11/27/2017 6:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 12:33:07 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Had a pound of ground beef to use up and was feeling uninspired so made
>>> homemade mac and cheese and added the cooked ground beef.

Pretty much anything is better than Hamburger Helper. My mother
occasionally added ground beef to mac & cheese to "stretch it".
Sometimes she'd add cubed kielbasa. It was a main dish meal in our house.

>>> Very good but filling!

Isn't that the point? :)

Jill

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 28, 2017, 11:55:21 AM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 10:52:47 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
the only HH I ever used was the Potato Stroganoff. I got it for when
we were camping for a couple of weeks.
Janet US

jmcquown

Nov 28, 2017, 12:10:51 PM11/28/17
Potato stroganoff? Never heard of it.

Jill

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 28, 2017, 12:14:03 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:10:33 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
sorry, Potato Stroganoff
https://www.bettycrocker.com/products/helper/hamburger-helper/potatoes-stroganoff
Janet US

Casa de perritos felices

Nov 28, 2017, 12:39:07 PM11/28/17
On 11/28/2017 8:52 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> Pretty much anything is better than Hamburger Helper.

Since they discontinued their superb Rice Oriental version it is...

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_56NyzXb0W4s/Shn_9zJyk1I/AAAAAAAAAD8/CYyNwoa3mqE/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/519R8S4KGJL%5B1%5D._SS500_

But I guess that morphed into:

https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/AsianHelper.jpg

So I best grab some and see if it still holds up.

Or:

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/hamburger-helper-rice-oriental-imitation-414082

Casa de perritos felices

Nov 28, 2017, 12:46:27 PM11/28/17
That one is OK too.

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2017, 12:47:33 PM11/28/17
"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
==

What are these 'Helpers' made from, or should I say, what do they contain?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 28, 2017, 12:55:21 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:47:18 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
bad stuff, you supply the meat, usually ground beef. Seasonings,
pasta or potatoes, and the meat (special Helpers for tuna and chicken)
you have chosen. Thus, Hamburger Helper, i.e., helping your hamburger
meat become something.
Janet US

Casa de perritos felices

Nov 28, 2017, 1:33:25 PM11/28/17
On 11/28/2017 10:55 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:47:18 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>>
>> On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 10:52:47 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Pretty much anything is better than Hamburger Helper. My mother
>>> occasionally added ground beef to mac & cheese to "stretch it".
>>> Sometimes she'd add cubed kielbasa. It was a main dish meal in our house.

>>> Isn't that the point? :)
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> the only HH I ever used was the Potato Stroganoff. I got it for when
>> we were camping for a couple of weeks.
>> Janet US
>>
>> ==
>>
>> What are these 'Helpers' made from, or should I say, what do they contain?
>
> bad stuff, you supply the meat, usually ground beef.

Bison is far better for you.

> Seasonings,
> pasta or potatoes, and the meat (special Helpers for tuna and chicken)
> you have chosen. Thus, Hamburger Helper, i.e., helping your hamburger
> meat become something.
> Janet US

Works too, depending on which one you prefer.

Cheri

Nov 28, 2017, 1:50:14 PM11/28/17
"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I'm sure you know who will be along shortly to list the ingredients. ;-)

Cheri

Bruze

Nov 28, 2017, 2:13:52 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 10:49:27 -0800, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
Always happy to help. I don't know what your go-to Hamburger Helper
Delight is, so I just picked one.

Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper, Italian Cheesy Beef:
"enriched pasta (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin
mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), corn starch, salt, enriched
flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin,
folic add), whey, monosodium glutamate, sugar, ricotta cheese (whey,
milkfat, lactic acid, salt), natural flavor, citric acid, yeast
extract, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monoglycerides, basil,
paprika, oregano, spice, color (artificial color, yellows 5 & 6 lake,
yellows 5 & 6), silicon dioxide (anticaking agent), onion, parmesan
cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), whey protein
concentrate, fennel seed, romano cheese (made from cow or goat of
sheep's milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes), sodium phosphate"

I can't wait! I especially look forward to yellows 5 & 6, because, as
we all know, we eat with our eyes!

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 28, 2017, 2:44:49 PM11/28/17
Pleased to see you off on a another food chemistry pogrom - you're like
a bad Monte Python knockoff.

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2017, 2:47:22 PM11/28/17
"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
==

Oh! You mean just flavouring or something? I had thought it might be a
filling:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2017, 2:54:25 PM11/28/17
"Cheri" wrote in message news:ovkbi...@news6.newsguy.com...
==

Oh yes *sigh*

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Bruze

Nov 28, 2017, 3:21:40 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 19:53:29 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
You only eat home made stuff and you're just as opposed to bad
ingredients as me. You just don't choose to inform the sheeple. I have
that calling.

Gary

Nov 28, 2017, 3:28:39 PM11/28/17
"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >Pretty much anything is better than Hamburger Helper.

<That's just food-snob talk>

> the only HH I ever used was the Potato Stroganoff. I got it for when
> we were camping for a couple of weeks.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Hamburger Helper. If you like it,
why not? Not all varieties are good but some are. Wish I remember
the kind but I tried using a pound of ground sausage instead of
beef and a couple of them were way better.

Not all good meals need to be cooked from scratch. Many are a
good starting point to then enhance.

Bruze

Nov 28, 2017, 3:31:28 PM11/28/17
With an atrocious concoction by the food industry? You call that
"enhance", I call it "bastardise".

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 28, 2017, 3:46:46 PM11/28/17
On Tue 28 Nov 2017 12:47:08p, Ophelia told us...
You might it a "kit". All things provided except the meat, water,
(sometimes milk). I rarely use them, but when I do I usualy serve a
green vegetable with them.

Wayne Boatwright

Bruze

Nov 28, 2017, 3:49:00 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 20:46:42 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
<waynebo...@xgmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue 28 Nov 2017 12:47:08p, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>>
>> On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:47:18 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What are these 'Helpers' made from, or should I say, what do they
>>>contain?
>>
>> bad stuff, you supply the meat, usually ground beef. Seasonings,
>> pasta or potatoes, and the meat (special Helpers for tuna and
>> chicken) you have chosen. Thus, Hamburger Helper, i.e., helping
>> your hamburger meat become something.
>> Janet US
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Oh! You mean just flavouring or something? I had thought it
>> might be a filling:)
>>
>You might it a "kit".

Is this desert talk?

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2017, 4:30:15 PM11/28/17
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
Wayne Boatwright

==

A kit of flavouring? If you have the meat, what more do you need to make
hamburger?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 28, 2017, 4:39:45 PM11/28/17
It's a casserole kit. They provide starch and flavoring. Hamburger Helper is one of those convenience foods designed
to make the consumer think they're cooking without actually
having to make decisions (apart from which box to buy) or
spend much time or effort. Like a box cake mix.

Cindy Hamilton

Julie Bove

Nov 28, 2017, 4:41:50 PM11/28/17

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Some form of starch. Either potatoes, pasta or rice. All horrible because
they are designed to cook quickly in a skillet. Also a ton of chemicals and
salt. My mom was enamored with them. Ick.

Julie Bove

Nov 28, 2017, 4:43:15 PM11/28/17

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
They make what is akin to a casserole except done in a skillet and not in
the oven. A one pot meal.

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2017, 4:52:56 PM11/28/17
"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:ovkl6r$eap$1...@dont-email.me...
==

Oh dear, so you are not a fan either:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2017, 4:52:56 PM11/28/17
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
==

Ahh thanks very much for that explanation!

Starch and flavouring, eh?

I suppose it is helpful to some folk! :)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Julie Bove

Nov 28, 2017, 6:37:50 PM11/28/17

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Not a fan at all.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 28, 2017, 6:51:36 PM11/28/17
Trust me, it may not be haute cuisine, but it is solid family table fare.

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 28, 2017, 6:54:23 PM11/28/17
On Tue 28 Nov 2017 02:29:52p, Ophelia told us...
The Hamburger Helper boxes most often contain dry pasta, dried sliced
potatoes, an envelope of sauce mix, various seasonings... Basically
everything you nee except for the hamburger itself. Other meats
include chicken, tuna, etc.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/products/helper

jmcquown

Nov 28, 2017, 7:08:46 PM11/28/17
I've never seen that particular incarnation of Hamburger Helper. Then
again, I haven't looked for it. ;)

Jill

Bruze

Nov 28, 2017, 7:18:36 PM11/28/17
Only sheeple in the process of breeding more sheeple would eat that
crap. Feed your kids enough gunk and one of them will turn out a Casa
Boner Troll.

jmcquown

Nov 28, 2017, 7:18:55 PM11/28/17
Usually noodles of some kind with a packet of powdered seasoning mix to
make a sauce. You add ground beef. Brown it, drain it, put it back in
the pan then add the stuff from the box with water or milk (varies
depending on the "kit") and simmer it on the stove until the noodles are
tender and the sauce is thickened.

Jill

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 28, 2017, 7:19:45 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 21:50:29 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
by starch she means either potato, pasta or rice, plus seasonings.
Most of the ingredients are dehydrated, therefore you cook the meat in
the pan, add the boxed ingredients and then add the prescribed milk or
water, cook covered for the length of time indicated. Food Snobs
adore them because they are so easy to take a shot at.
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 28, 2017, 7:21:36 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 21:51:09 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
there are millions of fans of them in the USA.

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 28, 2017, 7:23:12 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:29:52 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

I did not say the above. Someone f****ing with the attributions
again.
Janet US

Bruze

Nov 28, 2017, 7:25:30 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:21:27 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:
There are also millions of fans of Trump in the USA.

Bruze

Nov 28, 2017, 7:26:50 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:23:03 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:
It says that Gary said that, which he did.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:14:45 AM11/29/17
Yes, spoken like someone who I surmise has thankfully NOT replicated,
not doomed this world with bad DNA and hatred from day one, and never
given of themselves to the point that a simple and hearty table meal is
about all you have the energy left for after a long work day.

> Feed your kids enough gunk and one of them will turn out a Casa
> Boner Troll.

Never speak of children you penultimate asshole, you must only service
your own narcissism and bile.

I truly hope your death is extended and involves a life review where you
are forced to see what a monster you have been.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:15:11 AM11/29/17
And at the end of long hard day, it DOES work.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:16:50 AM11/29/17
And millions of hard working parents who fall in the door at night to
clamorous kids and no retirement leisure time to spend an hour prepping
and photoshopping the nightly repast.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:18:23 AM11/29/17
And when personal snark fails, always invoke politics not of your own
penal colony land.

I truly and deeply despise you asshole.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:18:41 AM11/29/17
On 11/28/2017 5:26 PM, Bruze wrote:
> It says that Gary said that, which he

FUCK OFF AND DIE!

Bruiso

Nov 29, 2017, 12:31:19 AM11/29/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 22:16:45 -0700, ardiente casa del amor
<ex...@john.doe> wrote:

>On 11/28/2017 5:21 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 21:51:09 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news:ovkl6r$eap$1...@dont-email.me...
>>>

>>> "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Some form of starch. Either potatoes, pasta or rice. All horrible because
>>> they are designed to cook quickly in a skillet. Also a ton of chemicals and
>>> salt. My mom was enamored with them. Ick.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Oh dear, so you are not a fan either:))
>>
>> there are millions of fans of them in the USA.
>>

>And millions of hard working parents who fall in the door at night to
>clamorous kids and no retirement leisure time to spend an hour prepping
>and photoshopping the nightly repast.

And who is there to help these poor souls on the brink of exhaustion?
Is it? Could it be? Could it really be? Yes, it's HAMBURGER HELPER!

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:35:39 AM11/29/17
Yep.

And Tuna Helper.

And PF Chang's frozen dinner entrees, etc.

Oh and ...pizza...God save us from a quick slice!

And may GOD put YOU in the recycling bin, you auztarded toxic rubbish.

Julie Bove

Nov 29, 2017, 4:23:09 AM11/29/17

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
In this country, hamburger is the same thing as ground beef. Sometimes
referred to as hamburger meat. "A" hamburger is a ground beef/hamburger
patty usually served in a bun but these days just as likely as a lettuce
wrap. If someone tells you to bring home some hamburger, they want you to
bring home ground beef. If they tell you to bring home a hamburger or some
hamburgers, then they want a/some sandwich/sandwiches.

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2017, 9:17:06 AM11/29/17
"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
==

Why would they want to take a shot at it?? To each their own yannow:))

So you are saying that HH contains things like pasta etc?

That sounds like a better addition.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2017, 9:17:06 AM11/29/17
"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
==

Really? Well they can't be all bad then!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2017, 9:17:06 AM11/29/17
"ardiente casa del amor" wrote in message
==

An easy meal for a busy day?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

jmcquown

Nov 29, 2017, 9:36:48 AM11/29/17
Yes. It's a way to stretch minced beef, like a casserole except done on
the stovetop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_Helper

Jill

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2017, 9:41:55 AM11/29/17
"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:ovlu9m$ulq$1...@dont-email.me...
==

I see! Confused? I sure am:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2017, 9:41:56 AM11/29/17
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
Wayne Boatwright

==

Good heavens! There are loads of different ones!!! I wonder how they
never made it to UK?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 29, 2017, 9:56:05 AM11/29/17
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 14:14:56 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Exactly!
Janet US

jmcquown

Nov 29, 2017, 9:56:47 AM11/29/17
Perhaps they have and you just never noticed? It's not the sort of
thing I imagine you'd be looking for.

Jill

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2017, 10:32:15 AM11/29/17
"jmcquown" wrote in message news:ZBzTB.2269$MS7...@fx11.iad...
==

Interesting, thanks.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 29, 2017, 10:35:13 AM11/29/17
They're very salty and have that "I came from a factory"
taste. Still, when the kids are clamoring for dinner,
it might be preferable to yet another trip to McDonald's.

Cindy Hamilton

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 29, 2017, 10:37:28 AM11/29/17
On Wed 29 Nov 2017 07:41:36a, Ophelia told us...
My guess is that there are probably fewer convenience foods in the
UK. Brits actually cook. :-)

Wayne Boatwright

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 10:52:54 AM11/29/17

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 11:11:23 AM11/29/17
It's too bad they don't brush their
tooth afterwards.

/-----|
\-' |
Q |
)C ~\/\ |
\\_ \ |
\_77 |\ |
|`` \ \ |
""" ~ ~ ===

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 11:23:59 AM11/29/17
Very much so, and we all know kids have little disdain for salt now do they?

;-)

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 11:27:08 AM11/29/17
I think there is some truth in that, but I wager the profusion of kebab
shoppes and takeaways of all manner of ethnic cuisines from the far
reaches of the old empire are changing that rapidly these days.

The UK has always loved its native fast foods like fish and chips and
pub crisps and so on.

They simply never had the post-war corporate wealth to deploy them with
the scale our institutionalized burger joints and taco stands have.

Taxed and Spent

Nov 29, 2017, 11:32:01 AM11/29/17
Yeah, well it seemed that most of the pubs in London were owned by the
same corporation, and had the same menu.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 11:34:05 AM11/29/17
Is that your trollish way of supporting flouridation of water?

_ ___
/ `--'\
\ /
| , |
\/`\/

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 11:39:59 AM11/29/17
Interesting, perhaps the consolidation has been going on in earnest then.

Twas a time no long ago where classic small business was very Brit thing.

And losing that is never a beneficial event.

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 29, 2017, 11:56:40 AM11/29/17
On Wed 29 Nov 2017 09:27:02a, ardiente casa del amor told us...
Makes sense!

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2017, 12:12:17 PM11/29/17
"jmcquown" wrote in message news:LUzTB.1260$e55...@fx41.iad...
==

No it isn't but given all the types there are, I am surprised I haven't seen
an advert for them.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2017, 12:12:17 PM11/29/17
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
==

Probably a lot cheaper too!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2017, 12:16:17 PM11/29/17
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
Wayne Boatwright

==

Not too sure about that. You should see the baskets full of ready meals in
the baskets of young people at the checkout!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2017, 12:16:17 PM11/29/17
"ardiente casa del amor" wrote in message
==

I was at the supermarket today and purposely looked for them, but they were
not in that one.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:18:57 PM11/29/17
Indeed so for an average sized family.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:23:54 PM11/29/17
That's a fair point.

I recall one episode of my then favorite Brit coking show (The F Word)
that examined prepared meals in supermarkets and their proliferation now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ik9KpUyytw

He also had some other segments that I can't locate which showed how
crappy pre-made meals are.

Btw - those who miss Gordon in his natural setting know only the
aggressive bluster he perpetrates on American TV.

He can be a very charming fellow.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:24:54 PM11/29/17
Tesco, Sainsbury's?

I guess shelf space is on to local tastes as it should be.

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2017, 4:05:53 PM11/29/17
"ardiente casa del amor" wrote in message
==

Ahh Ramsey! I have to say though he is not my favourite cook:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2017, 4:05:54 PM11/29/17
"ardiente casa del amor" wrote in message
==

Sainsburys.

I will look in Tesco next time I am in. As for local, they have a whole lot
of shelves with Polish food, and another lot for Indian food:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 4:30:40 PM11/29/17
He is good at what he does though, very quick and precise.

I enjoy Jaimie Oliver's persona more, but the best is Hugh Fernely
Whittingstall for my money.

His series "River Cottage" is a joy to watch.

And what on earth has happened with Nigella - she seems to have vanished
of late?

That said our BBC America feed has degenerated into such dreck -
endless Star Trek Next Generation reruns.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 4:34:10 PM11/29/17
Ah ha!

So Ireland wasn't the only place to experience the Polish labour rush.

Good Indian food (and it must be authentic) is hard to come by locally,
but well worth the effort.

Sadly over here most Indian restaurants are buffet style and frankly
warming tray glop dishes depress me.

Naan especially is NOT compatible with a heat lamp or steam tray.

Julie Bove

Nov 29, 2017, 4:50:08 PM11/29/17

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 21:51:09 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:ovkl6r$eap$1...@dont-email.me...
>>

>>"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

>>> the only HH I ever used was the Potato Stroganoff. I got it for when
>>> we were camping for a couple of weeks.
>>> Janet US
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> What are these 'Helpers' made from, or should I say, what do they
>>> contain?
>>
>>Some form of starch. Either potatoes, pasta or rice. All horrible because
>>they are designed to cook quickly in a skillet. Also a ton of chemicals
>>and
>>salt. My mom was enamored with them. Ick.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Oh dear, so you are not a fan either:))
>
> there are millions of fans of them in the USA.
>
> ==
>
> Really? Well they can't be all bad then!!

I don't think that's true. I don't know anyone who likes it and sales have
dropped.

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 29, 2017, 5:11:59 PM11/29/17
On Wed 29 Nov 2017 02:02:19p, Ophelia told us...
Nor mine.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 5:16:14 PM11/29/17

Ophelia

Nov 30, 2017, 4:50:03 AM11/30/17
"ardiente casa del amor" wrote in message
===

Delia Smith was my all time favourite.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Nov 30, 2017, 4:50:03 AM11/30/17
"ardiente casa del amor" wrote in message
==

That must be a good thing.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Julie Bove

Nov 30, 2017, 5:22:51 AM11/30/17

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I don't know too many people who cook. They often buy prepackaged stuff. One
friend used to buy one flavor of HH but she said they quit making it.

Bruce

Nov 30, 2017, 5:43:56 AM11/30/17
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 09:45:40 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
My opinion:

-Gordon Ramsey is a pleb.
-Marco Pierre White thinks he's god and no longer capable of
communicating with humans
-Delia Smith is good, but a bit boring/mainstream
-Hugh Fernley is the best
-Ken Hom is my kind of food

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 30, 2017, 6:42:38 AM11/30/17
On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 4:34:10 PM UTC-5, ardiente casa del amor wrote:

> Good Indian food (and it must be authentic) is hard to come by locally,
> but well worth the effort.
>
> Sadly over here most Indian restaurants are buffet style and frankly
> warming tray glop dishes depress me.

Where "over here" = wherever you are. Although our Indian restaurants
have a lunch buffet, at dinner it's standard service. Granted, most
of the curries are probably on the simmer and not made to order, but
the tandoori and naan are always fresh. The joys of living in a
college town.

Cindy Hamilton

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 11:00:49 AM11/30/17
Off to you tube I goes...

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 11:01:13 AM11/30/17
Absolutely so!

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 11:07:32 AM11/30/17
On 11/30/2017 4:42 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 4:34:10 PM UTC-5, ardiente casa del amor wrote:
>
>> Good Indian food (and it must be authentic) is hard to come by locally,
>> but well worth the effort.
>>
>> Sadly over here most Indian restaurants are buffet style and frankly
>> warming tray glop dishes depress me.
>
> Where "over here" = wherever you are.

NM.

> Although our Indian restaurants
> have a lunch buffet, at dinner it's standard service.

Same here.

> Granted, most
> of the curries are probably on the simmer and not made to order, but
> the tandoori and naan are always fresh. The joys of living in a
> college town.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Similar scenario here, but the constant buffet style for lunch is less
welcome once flu and sniffles season comes around.

And as I said this:

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/qglGwgPGoVbd6zXxQl0ycQ/o.jpg

Does not play well with heat lamps.

I suppose the buffet mimics the pots in the kitchen as you said, but one
must have fresh Naan off the tandoor walls and chicken too.

Gary

Nov 30, 2017, 11:13:42 AM11/30/17
Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't know too many people who cook.

Really? You must live somewhere near Bothell, WA. ;)

Gary

Nov 30, 2017, 11:13:58 AM11/30/17
Bruce wrote:

> My opinion:
>
> -Gordon Ramsey is a pleb.

He's a grouchy bastard. :)

> -Marco Pierre White thinks he's god and no longer capable of
> communicating with humans
> -Delia Smith is good, but a bit boring/mainstream
> -Hugh Fernley is the best
> -Ken Hom is my kind of food

Don't know about or care about those last four.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 11:31:10 AM11/30/17
On 11/30/2017 9:15 AM, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> My opinion:
>>
>> -Gordon Ramsey is a pleb.
>
> He's a grouchy bastard. :)

Largely for TV drama, but he is wired tightly.

Ophelia

Nov 30, 2017, 12:49:05 PM11/30/17
"ardiente casa del amor" wrote in message
====

Not flash at all but spot on with everything she cooked.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 12:57:43 PM11/30/17
On 11/30/2017 12:48 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "ardiente casa del amor"  wrote in message
Have you ever trimmed a post?

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 1:22:31 PM11/30/17
That's perfect, I found her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSfn8UwwMNo

TNX Ms. O, I hopped on a recipe I'll make straight away this Xmas season.

Top tip on the cheese grating btw...

;-)

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 1:24:12 PM11/30/17
forged.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 1:28:36 PM11/30/17
My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
here. A change in my medications is being made to address a disorder I
have been experiencing this summer. I will be monitored, but I am no
longer allowed to engage in certain activities I previously have
enjoyed as they exacerbate my condition. I apologize for being
disruptive, in a better state of mind this was generally not an issue
for me.

Bruce

Nov 30, 2017, 1:39:21 PM11/30/17
They all seem a bit more intelligent and interesting to me than, say,
Paula Deen and Bobby Flay.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 1:40:03 PM11/30/17
On 11/30/2017 11:28 AM, ardiente casa del amor wrote:
>  BONER ardiente casa del amor wrote:

>>> Have you ever trimmed a post?
>>>
>> forged.
> >

> My mental health professional has directed me to apologize

Well then knock yerself out, Sqwerty dear!

Julie Bove

Nov 30, 2017, 6:38:50 PM11/30/17

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5A202E80...@att.net...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I don't know too many people who cook.
>
> Really? You must live somewhere near Bothell, WA. ;)

Yes. But my mom has always hated cooking. She now lives in a place where
meals are provided. Most of the others either go out to eat for every meal,
buy frozen or otherwise prepared food or live off things like cold cereal
and yogurt. It always astounds me how much milk my one friend buys. At least
4 gallons of whole milk and when on sale some chocolate milk too. There are
3-4 people (son often has GF over) who live there. This only lasts a few
days and she has to go buy more. She usually buys 6-7 large boxes of cereal
each week and always runs out.

She is convinced that cereal is like a miracle food or something. I tried to
point out that of the kinds that she buys (sugary ones), the only benefit is
the vitamins and those are added to it. She is not convinced.

She also goes through more bread in a week than we do in a month. Two loaves
of cheap white bread which her son almost always uses up right away. She
said he makes French toast from it and he eats it all himself. Where he puts
it, I don't know. He's thin. She gets a whole wheat bread for herself and
her daughter and usually additional bagels or English muffins. Also a bag or
two of hot dog buns. They seem to eat those every week.

This friend readily admits that she does not cook. She does not like to do
it. Her son can cook but usually doesn't. She was married to a Japanese man
and her MIL taught her to make several Japanese dishes. She rarely cooks
those. Mainly only if her grandson specifically asks for something but he's
out of the area now and no longer visits.

Another friend has a whole slew of medical and dental problems that prevents
her from eating much of anything. Mostly she survives on milk or broth. She
actually does know how to cook and loves it but she lives alone except for
her pet bird. Chicken is about the only meat she can eat. She will cook that
about once a month and portion it out for the freezer. She is currently
suffering from various nutritional imbalances but aside from taking
supplements, there isn't much she can do about it because she flat out can't
eat most foods.

jmcquown

Dec 1, 2017, 12:37:45 AM12/1/17
On 11/30/2017 6:38 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know too many people who cook.
>>
>> Really? You must live somewhere near Bothell, WA.  ;)
>
> Yes. But my mom has always hated cooking. She now lives in a place where
> meals are provided.

(major snippage)

My mom hated to cook, too. Oh, she had some good recipes. But as soon
as possible she took to convenience food short-cuts like a duck on
water. Why boil and mash potatoes when you can use potato flakes? Cook
rice? There's Minute Rice! (She did later switch to Success brand
boil-in-bag parboiled rice.) I nicknamed her the "Freezer Queen"
because she made Freezer Queen brand family meals so often when I was a
teen. Trays of questionable meat in questionable gravy. Salisbury
steak, thinly sliced beef, or thinkly sliced turkey. Paper thin, mind
you. Heat in the oven in the metal tray for 1 hour. Serve with instant
mashed potatoes and open a can of green beans or something. That's dinner!

I pretty much taught myself how to cook in self defense. :)

Lots of people don't like to cook. That's why there are restaurants.

Jill
It is loading more messages.