Breakfast for Dinner

jmcquown

Jul 30, 2023, 7:44:37 PM7/30/23
2 eggs, scrambled with a bit of brie. Accompanied by mashed potato
pancakes and a glass of milk. :)

Jill

Sqwertz

Jul 30, 2023, 8:01:13 PM7/30/23
On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 19:44:25 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> 2 eggs, scrambled with a bit of brie. Accompanied by mashed potato
> pancakes and a glass of milk. :)

Was it tall and ice cold?

-sw

Dave Smith

Jul 30, 2023, 8:05:15 PM7/30/23
On 2023-07-30 7:44 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> 2 eggs, scrambled with a bit of brie.  Accompanied by mashed potato
> pancakes and a glass of milk. :)

We had supper for supper. We shared a Porterhouse steak. She got the
strip and I got the filet. Boiled new potatoes, steamed green beans and
a green salad with blue cheese dressing.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jul 30, 2023, 8:10:43 PM7/30/23
Well, who wants to drink a short glass of warm milk??   😝

Bruce

Jul 30, 2023, 8:28:10 PM7/30/23
On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 19:44:25 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>2 eggs, scrambled with a bit of brie. Accompanied by mashed potato
>pancakes and a glass of milk. :)

Sounds good apart from the childish glass of milk.

jmcquown

Jul 30, 2023, 8:50:02 PM7/30/23
You bet! :)

Jill

Sqwertz

Jul 31, 2023, 12:31:37 PM7/31/23
> You bet! :)

And in another 8-10 years, when somebody says they had beans for
dinner the follow-ups will ask, "Were they sweet and hot and
served with brown rice?"

Whoever could have predicted that 10 years later we'd have
somebody 5X as irritating and lame as Andy? I chalk it up to
inflation... Andy was mere pocket lint and chump change compared
to what we have now.

-sw

Michael Trew

Jul 31, 2023, 1:14:35 PM7/31/23
I don't think that children should have a glass of milk, either. There
are plenty of other sources of calcium, and humans aren't made to
process lactose (of course, some have worse side affects than others).

For years, the milk campaign in the US was pushed to children by the
dairy industry... Shocker, I know. At school cafeteria lunch, they
forced us to take a pint of milk with school lunch, even if we didn't
want it. Many of them were thrown away... What a waste.

%

Jul 31, 2023, 1:17:40 PM7/31/23
In article <lkw0xnvj2zym$.d...@sqwertz.com>, sqwe...@gmail.compost says...
> Whoever could have predicted that 10 years later we'd have
> somebody 5X as irritating and lame as Andy?
>
> -sw

Don't be so tough on yourself, dwarf.

bruce bowser

Jul 31, 2023, 1:23:18 PM7/31/23
On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 7:44:37 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> 2 eggs, scrambled with a bit of brie. Accompanied by mashed potato
> pancakes and a glass of milk. :)

Applause ! ! ! I was about to lose-myself and mention: "WHAT ABOUT THE COFFEE", but I remembered - its dinner.

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 1:30:25 PM7/31/23
On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:31:30 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.compost>
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 20:49:48 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Was it tall and ice cold?
>>
>> You bet! :)
>
>And in another 8-10 years, when somebody says they had beans for
>dinner the follow-ups will ask, "Were they sweet and hot and
>served with brown rice?"
>
>Whoever could have predicted that 10 years later we'd have
>somebody 5X as irritating and lame as Andy? I chalk it up to
>inflation... Andy was mere pocket lint and chump change compared
>to what we have now.

People like Jill and you love it and feed it, so don't complain.

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 31, 2023, 1:32:09 PM7/31/23
On 2023-07-31, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
> On 7/30/2023 8:28 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 19:44:25 -0400, jmcquown<j_mc...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 2 eggs, scrambled with a bit of brie. Accompanied by mashed potato
>>> pancakes and a glass of milk. :)
>>>
>> Sounds good apart from the childish glass of milk.
>
> I don't think that children should have a glass of milk, either. There
> are plenty of other sources of calcium, and humans aren't made to
> process lactose (of course, some have worse side affects than others).

Humans aren't made to process ethanol, either. They're not "made"
in any way.

Northern Europeans evolved to tolerate lactose into adulthood. I
intend to take full advantage of that.

> For years, the milk campaign in the US was pushed to children by the
> dairy industry... Shocker, I know. At school cafeteria lunch, they
> forced us to take a pint of milk with school lunch, even if we didn't
> want it. Many of them were thrown away... What a waste.

Yes, waste is a shame.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 1:38:34 PM7/31/23
On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 17:32:03 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2023-07-31, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>> On 7/30/2023 8:28 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Sounds good apart from the childish glass of milk.
>>
>> I don't think that children should have a glass of milk, either. There
>> are plenty of other sources of calcium, and humans aren't made to
>> process lactose (of course, some have worse side affects than others).
>
>Humans aren't made to process ethanol, either. They're not "made"
>in any way.
>
>Northern Europeans evolved to tolerate lactose into adulthood. I
>intend to take full advantage of that.

"advantage", lol

Sqwertz

Jul 31, 2023, 1:41:03 PM7/31/23
On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:14:29 -0400, Michael Trew wrote:

> On 7/30/2023 8:28 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 19:44:25 -0400, jmcquown<j_mc...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 2 eggs, scrambled with a bit of brie. Accompanied by mashed potato
>>> pancakes and a glass of milk. :)
>>>
>> Sounds good apart from the childish glass of milk.
>
> I don't think that children should have a glass of milk, either. There
> are plenty of other sources of calcium, and humans aren't made to
> process lactose (of course, some have worse side affects than others).

So your poor kid is denied butter, cheese, and ice cream, too?
Yep, she's gonna hate you when she gets older.

-sw

jmcquown

Jul 31, 2023, 4:22:36 PM7/31/23
On 7/31/2023 1:14 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 7/30/2023 8:28 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 19:44:25 -0400, jmcquown<j_mc...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 2 eggs, scrambled with a bit of brie.  Accompanied by mashed potato
>>> pancakes and a glass of milk. :)
>>>
>> Sounds good apart from the childish glass of milk.
>
> I don't think that children should have a glass of milk, either.  There
> are plenty of other sources of calcium, and humans aren't made to
> process lactose (of course, some have worse side affects than others).

I've never had a problem with lactose. I love a cold glass of milk!

> For years, the milk campaign in the US was pushed to children by the
> dairy industry...  Shocker, I know.  At school cafeteria lunch, they
> forced us to take a pint of milk with school lunch, even if we didn't
> want it.  Many of them were thrown away...  What a waste.

I agree, that waste was unnecessary. Then again, I brought my lunch.
When I was in elemetary/grade school there was a thermos of milk in my
lunch box.

Jill

dsi1

Jul 31, 2023, 4:51:52 PM7/31/23
Back in the old days, milk was pushed as a healthy food. Beats me if it really is. Mostly, it's supposed to give you healthy bones. Is there a problem with American bones? Beats me. Elderly women have problems with healthy bones. They're the ones that should be drinking the milk. Beats me if that would help any.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jul 31, 2023, 4:52:12 PM7/31/23
On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 3:22:36 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> On 7/31/2023 1:14 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> >
> > I don't think that children should have a glass of milk, either. There
> > are plenty of other sources of calcium, and humans aren't made to
> > process lactose (of course, some have worse side affects than others).
> >
> I've never had a problem with lactose. I love a cold glass of milk!

Thankfully, me neither and I drink milk 7 days a week. I'm also incredibly
fond of cheese, ice cream, cottage cheese, butter, and yogurt. Did I leave
anything out???

I know some are lactose intolerant and others can't stand the taste of
moo juice but hallelujah I wasn't cursed with either of these anomalies.

> > For years, the milk campaign in the US was pushed to children by the
> > dairy industry... Shocker, I know. At school cafeteria lunch, they
> > forced us to take a pint of milk with school lunch, even if we didn't
> > want it. Many of them were thrown away... What a waste.
> >
> I agree, that waste was unnecessary. Then again, I brought my lunch.
> When I was in elementary/grade school there was a thermos of milk in my
> lunch box.
>
> Jill

Yes, that was a terrible waste, but I think the U.S. pushed the need for
milk for children campaign as they saw the aftereffects of what war
and starvation did to many of the children of Europe.

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 31, 2023, 5:03:27 PM7/31/23
In grade school, we didn't have a cafeteria. We could buy milk
for midmorning and midafternoon (2 cents for a half pint), but I
think it was optional. In junior high and high school, the cafeteria
sold stuff. If you didn't want milk, there was water.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 5:13:26 PM7/31/23
Maybe if they'd have drunk enough milk when they were young. Once
they're older and have bone density problems, it's too late, I think.

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 5:17:53 PM7/31/23
On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:52:08 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 3:22:36 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 7/31/2023 1:14 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't think that children should have a glass of milk, either. There
>> > are plenty of other sources of calcium, and humans aren't made to
>> > process lactose (of course, some have worse side affects than others).
>> >
>> I've never had a problem with lactose. I love a cold glass of milk!
>>
>Thankfully, me neither and I drink milk 7 days a week. I'm also incredibly
>fond of cheese, ice cream, cottage cheese, butter, and yogurt. Did I leave
>anything out???

Cheese and ice cream in my case.

>I know some are lactose intolerant and others can't stand the taste of
>moo juice but hallelujah I wasn't cursed with either of these anomalies.

To me the anomaly is drinking a lot of milk when you're not a child
anymore.

>> > For years, the milk campaign in the US was pushed to children by the
>> > dairy industry... Shocker, I know. At school cafeteria lunch, they
>> > forced us to take a pint of milk with school lunch, even if we didn't
>> > want it. Many of them were thrown away... What a waste.
>> >
>> I agree, that waste was unnecessary. Then again, I brought my lunch.
>> When I was in elementary/grade school there was a thermos of milk in my
>> lunch box.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>Yes, that was a terrible waste, but I think the U.S. pushed the need for
>milk for children campaign as they saw the aftereffects of what war
>and starvation did to many of the children of Europe.

Yes, in those days, saturated fat was probably a good thing. These
days we have too much of everything, so we need to control ourselves.
Judging by the amount of overweight and diabetic people, that's a
challenge.

Ed P

Jul 31, 2023, 5:21:10 PM7/31/23
On 7/31/2023 1:14 PM, Michael Trew wrote:

> I don't think that children should have a glass of milk, either.  There
> are plenty of other sources of calcium, and humans aren't made to
> process lactose (of course, some have worse side affects than others).

Yes, I won't drink milk. Vanilla ice cream is much better. Good brand
like Haagen Dazs though.

dsi1

Jul 31, 2023, 5:23:05 PM7/31/23
The boomers drank a lot of milk when they were kids and yet the elderly have problems with osteoporosis. My guess is that milk has no effect on anybody's bones. Of course, I could be wrong. Americans today are drinking less milk. That's a good trend.

jmcquown

Jul 31, 2023, 5:30:50 PM7/31/23
Being a military dependent I went to a lot of diffrent grade schools. I
don't remember all of them but I think there was a cafeteria in most of
them. Mom packed my lunch. I took the dreaded peanut butter sandwich
in a lunch box with a thermos of milk and usually a snack cake or a
small bag of chips.

In junior high and high school, the cafeteria
> sold stuff. If you didn't want milk, there was water.

In high school there were soda vending machines. I didn't buy that, either.

Jill

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 5:45:00 PM7/31/23
According to my artificially intelligent friend, milk can play a
beneficial role, but isn't the only factor.

"There is some evidence that drinking milk as a child can help to
prevent osteoporosis later in life. Milk is a good source of calcium,
which is essential for bone health. Studies have shown that people who
consume more calcium are less likely to develop osteoporosis.
Additionally, milk contains other nutrients that are important for
bone health, such as vitamin D and protein.

However, it is important to note that drinking milk is not the only
factor that determines whether or not someone will develop
osteoporosis. Other factors, such as genetics, physical activity, and
smoking, also play a role. So, even if you drank a lot of milk as a
kid, you are still not guaranteed to be protected from osteoporosis
later in life.

The best way to prevent osteoporosis is to maintain a healthy
lifestyle throughout your life. This includes eating a balanced diet,
getting regular exercise, and not smoking."

Leonard Blaisdell

Jul 31, 2023, 10:08:30 PM7/31/23
On 2023-07-31, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> The best way to prevent osteoporosis is to maintain a healthy
> lifestyle throughout your life. This includes eating a balanced diet,
> getting regular exercise, and not smoking."

The best way to prevent osteoporosis is genetics. It's the best way to
prevent everything but accidental death.

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 10:46:17 PM7/31/23
On 1 Aug 2023 02:08:22 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
Lifestyle, genetics and luck. People who eat crap, smoke and don't
exercise at all will die younger than they need to.

Everybody, raise your hand if you didn't know this already... I only
see your hand, Leo.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jul 31, 2023, 11:00:32 PM7/31/23
On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 4:23:05 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> The boomers drank a lot of milk when they were kids and yet the elderly have
> problems with osteoporosis. My guess is that milk has no effect on anybody's
> bones. Of course, I could be wrong. Americans today are drinking less milk.
> That's a good trend.

Another wrong guess. Yes, some elderly have problems with osteoporosis as
they can't absorb calcium. Yours guesses are generally far off the radar and
wrong. But can you cite your source that Americans today are drinking less
milk?? Just another one of your unsubstantiated wrong guesses.

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 11:06:53 PM7/31/23
I asked my artificially intelligent friend:
"Yes, milk consumption by Americans has been declining for decades. In
1975, the average American consumed 29 gallons of milk per year. By
2021, that number had fallen to 16 gallons per year."

Dave Smith

Jul 31, 2023, 11:28:54 PM7/31/23
I took up the challenge. Apparently milk consumption is dropping. I
found several sites that report a decline in the per capita consumption
of milk. Perhaps it has something to do with milk being more popular
with children and our having an aging population. If there the older
demographic is growing faster than the younger people it makes sense
that the average is dropping even if kids are drinking it as much as ever.

I have never been a milk drinker. I use it on cereal and cook with it,
but I just don't think of it as a beverage. Yet I have always had very
large, strong bones.

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 11:35:37 PM7/31/23
Maybe because you use it on cereal and cook with it?

dsi1

Aug 1, 2023, 12:28:50 AM8/1/23
You don't believe me - that's the breaks. I can live with that. Of course you think you're entitled to have me prove stuff to you. That's delusional.
As you old geezers say - LOL!

dsi1

Aug 1, 2023, 12:31:05 AM8/1/23
I have to admit it - I like kid's cereal. I will also admit that I like it with milk. It's totally satisfying!

Hank Rogers

Aug 1, 2023, 12:32:36 AM8/1/23
As an asian, your words should be accepted as absolute proof.

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 1, 2023, 12:43:34 AM8/1/23
Speaking of satisfaction, I heard in Hawaii it is frowned upon to laugh
loudly. Just a low ha.

Leonard Blaisdell

Aug 1, 2023, 1:19:41 AM8/1/23
On 2023-08-01, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Lifestyle, genetics and luck. People who eat crap, smoke and don't
> exercise at all will die younger than they need to.

And yet, they may live longer than you do but not nearly as long as they
could. Genetics.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 1, 2023, 1:46:28 AM8/1/23
Groan.

Bruce

Aug 1, 2023, 1:54:14 AM8/1/23
If that's true, you can never travel to Hawaii with Jill.

LOL, Ed!

Bruce

Aug 1, 2023, 1:54:41 AM8/1/23
On 1 Aug 2023 05:19:34 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
Yes.

dsi1

Aug 1, 2023, 1:56:32 AM8/1/23
I've never heard that one before. I guess is depends on how people laugh on the mainland and how loud is loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FioYICidVvo

Bruce

Aug 1, 2023, 2:03:53 AM8/1/23
People on the mainland are more inclined to produce a high ha.

songbird

Aug 1, 2023, 7:21:11 AM8/1/23
Bruce wrote:
> I asked my artificially intelligent friend:
> "Yes, milk consumption by Americans has been declining for decades. In
> 1975, the average American consumed 29 gallons of milk per year. By
> 2021, that number had fallen to 16 gallons per year."

replaced by sodas, iced-teas, juices, energy drinks,
flavored waters, and plain water.

i'll drink milk often and consider it critical in
going along with certain foods (chocolate cake and a
glass of milk mmmM). milk is also an ingredient for
tapioca pudding.

songbird

songbird

Aug 1, 2023, 7:21:13 AM8/1/23
itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 3:22:36 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 7/31/2023 1:14 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't think that children should have a glass of milk, either. There
>> > are plenty of other sources of calcium, and humans aren't made to
>> > process lactose (of course, some have worse side affects than others).
>> >
>> I've never had a problem with lactose. I love a cold glass of milk!
>>
> Thankfully, me neither and I drink milk 7 days a week. I'm also incredibly
> fond of cheese, ice cream, cottage cheese, butter, and yogurt. Did I leave
> anything out???

custard, cream cheese, whipped cream, cheese cake,
hot chocolate...

songbird

Dave Smith

Aug 1, 2023, 9:59:19 AM8/1/23
On 2023-08-01 7:19 a.m., songbird wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>> I asked my artificially intelligent friend:
>> "Yes, milk consumption by Americans has been declining for decades. In
>> 1975, the average American consumed 29 gallons of milk per year. By
>> 2021, that number had fallen to 16 gallons per year."
>
> replaced by sodas, iced-teas, juices, energy drinks,
> flavored waters, and plain water.

Not in my case. A two liter jug of juices lasts about two weeks in our
house. We drink hot coffee and hot tea and a lot of sparkling water. We
have limited amounts of soft drinks for quests. We often have beer or
wine with dinner. My wife does not share my aversion to milk, but I
can't remember the last time I saw her drink a glass of it.

> i'll drink milk often and consider it critical in
> going along with certain foods (chocolate cake and a
> glass of milk mmmM). milk is also an ingredient for
> tapioca pudding.

It is definitely not a critical item for me to have it with cakes,
cookies or pies. I use it when making biscuits, muffins and puddings. I
have to be careful about expiry dates when I get milk. It is a heck of a
lot cheaper to buy it in 4 L bags and in one or two litre cartons, but I
have to make sure the BBD is more than two weeks because it will take
three weeks or more to use it up, and I often end up making pudding to
use it up before it goes bad.

Michael Trew

Aug 1, 2023, 12:52:01 PM8/1/23
On 7/31/2023 1:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:14:29 -0400, Michael Trew wrote:
>
>> On 7/30/2023 8:28 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Sounds good apart from the childish glass of milk.
>>
>> I don't think that children should have a glass of milk, either. There
>> are plenty of other sources of calcium, and humans aren't made to
>> process lactose (of course, some have worse side affects than others).
>
> So your poor kid is denied butter, cheese, and ice cream, too?
> Yep, she's gonna hate you when she gets older.
>
> -sw

Are you really that dense? My point completely flew over your head,
which is the push of the dairy industry that children "need" multiple
glasses of cow's milk per day. How absurd!

I cook with butter, and I've mentioned that plenty of times before. We
keep some milk on hand for cooking. Cheese is rare, and ice cream is a
treat. Everything, in moderation. A tall glass of "ice cold" milk is
not moderation.

dsi1

Aug 1, 2023, 3:06:17 PM8/1/23
Indeed, downing a tall glass of milk is not moderation. Americans may have cut down on milk consumption but some old-timers will still promiscuously guzzle milk on a daily basis. That very thought just turns my delicate tummy in knots. I suppose it's better than being hooked of Crystal Palace or prescription pain-killers. We should just be grateful. 😺

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 1, 2023, 3:14:50 PM8/1/23
A tall glass of ice cold milk _is_ moderation. A gallon of milk
is immoderate.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Aug 1, 2023, 4:14:25 PM8/1/23
On Tue, 1 Aug 2023 12:06:11 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net>
wrote:
Why do you care so much about milk consumption? It's not as if you
care about animals. Just because some Asians can't handle it, doesn't
mean the whole world stops drinking it.

You're starting to sound like Christkiller. Remember him? He was on a
crusade against gluten because his body didn't like them.

dsi1

Aug 1, 2023, 6:11:37 PM8/1/23
Indeed, I don't really have a dog in this fight. I won't speak of your people's abhorrent practice of guzzling moo-juice. Hopefully, you'll abandon your holy crusade against eating meat. That would be a breath of fresh air.

Bruce

Aug 1, 2023, 6:22:48 PM8/1/23
On Tue, 1 Aug 2023 15:11:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net>
Meat is murder. I'm against murder.

Who are "my people"? Other non milk drinkers?

bruce bowser

Aug 2, 2023, 11:57:59 AM8/2/23
And finally, pudding.