Semi OT: Free Range Chickens

jmcquown

Sep 17, 2023, 4:55:26 PM9/17/23
Bill Engvall is funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNBK-DKpfkg

Jill

Bruce

Sep 17, 2023, 5:06:01 PM9/17/23
On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:55:12 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Bill Engvall is funny.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNBK-DKpfkg

I can't listen to that accent.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2023, 6:17:31 PM9/17/23
He certainly nailed with this chicken monologue. 🐔

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2023, 6:18:28 PM9/17/23
On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 4:06:01 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:55:12 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >Bill Engvall is funny.
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNBK-DKpfkg
> >
> I can't listen to that accent.
>
> Bruce

Closed captions to the rescue!

songbird

Sep 17, 2023, 6:36:54 PM9/17/23
Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:55:12 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Bill Engvall is funny.
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNBK-DKpfkg
>>
> I can't listen to that accent.

that's a very mild southern accent. i've spoken with
some people with a much thicker accent where i can only
catch about 1 in 10 words.

his part on one of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour dvds
cracks us up - about whale watching and the dorkfish.

songbird

Bruce

Sep 17, 2023, 7:04:42 PM9/17/23
It's actually not the accent but the guy.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Sep 17, 2023, 7:06:47 PM9/17/23
It's a retard entertaining retards.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Sep 17, 2023, 8:09:41 PM9/17/23
We got more free-ranging chickens here than people!

songbird

Sep 17, 2023, 10:20:18 PM9/17/23
dsi1 wrote:
> We got more free-ranging chickens here than people!

is it always open season?

songbird

dsi1

Sep 17, 2023, 11:13:11 PM9/17/23
The Hawaiians wouldn't mind seeing the chickens disappear - they just don't want to know what happened to them.

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/egg-prices-up-thinking-of-owning-chickens-in-hawaii

Bruce

Sep 18, 2023, 12:51:50 AM9/18/23
Our last rooster died and we gave our last hen away. Now we're
chickenless. We have an aggressive male muscovy duck left. He attacks
all strangers on our property.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

jmcquown

Sep 18, 2023, 5:07:30 PM9/18/23
On 9/17/2023 6:31 PM, songbird wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:55:12 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Bill Engvall is funny.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNBK-DKpfkg
>>>
>> I can't listen to that accent.
>
> that's a very mild southern accent. i've spoken with
> some people with a much thicker accent where i can only
> catch about 1 in 10 words.

Bill Engvall is from Texas. They have a whole different "Southern"
accent. ;) I'll bet Bruce couldn't stand to listen to Reba McEntyre
speak. She's from Oklahoma. Very twangy.

Where I live the Southern accent is very mild by comparison.

> his part on one of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour dvds
> cracks us up - about whale watching and the dorkfish.
>

> songbird

I'm enjoying all of his stand-up. Too bad he retired but hey, everyone
is getting older.

Jill

Bruce

Sep 18, 2023, 6:23:50 PM9/18/23
On Mon, 18 Sep 2023 17:07:15 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 9/17/2023 6:31 PM, songbird wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> I can't listen to that accent.
>>
>> that's a very mild southern accent. i've spoken with
>> some people with a much thicker accent where i can only
>> catch about 1 in 10 words.
>>
>Bill Engvall is from Texas. They have a whole different "Southern"
>accent. ;) I'll bet Bruce couldn't stand to listen to Reba McEntyre
>speak. She's from Oklahoma. Very twangy.

I don't mind most accents, except when I think they're deliberately
exaggerating it, like the Hairy Bikers, Billy Connolly or Steve Irwin,
When it's a shtick.

Although I don't like the sound of this accent very much:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNuPcf8L00>

I don't know anybody else who talks this bad.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

jmcquown

Sep 18, 2023, 7:28:13 PM9/18/23
He once posted a pic of some broken eggs on the windshield of what
appeared to be a broken down car outside of his house. I'm not sure why
he doesn't get some boards and some chicken wire, build a covered pen
and a coop and take advantage of those chickens and those free eggs.

Jill

dsi1

Sep 18, 2023, 7:57:05 PM9/18/23
She's easy to understand and I like her message too. We're used to hearing people talk with an accent over here. This gal, I'd have a hard time of it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWAUrHODRWM

jmcquown

Sep 18, 2023, 8:41:28 PM9/18/23
He's especially funny when he's talking about "here's your sign".
Meaning stupid people should be wearing signs that say "I'm Stupid."

I found one fun Engvall bit where he was talking about coming back from
a trip from Europe with his wife. They flew from Germany to LAX. They
had bought a couple of small paintings and rather than risk them being
damaged carried them on the plane. At Customs at LAX they were asked if
they'd brought them in from another country. DUH. He repied, "No, we
always carry this one around with us. And she painted that one while we
were waiting in line. Here's your sign." :)

Jill

Bruce

Sep 18, 2023, 9:49:06 PM9/18/23
I have no problem understanding her and I don't disagree with what
she's saying at all. I just find her particular version of the
Australian accent a bit grating.

>We're used to hearing people talk with an accent over here.

The same in Australia. It's another melting pot.

> This gal, I'd have a hard time of it though.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWAUrHODRWM

Yeah, that could be hard to understand, but maybe not ugly. Or maybe I
spoke too soon.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Sep 18, 2023, 9:51:28 PM9/18/23
On Mon, 18 Sep 2023 19:27:59 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Would you do that? Besides, doesn't he live in a condo?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Sep 19, 2023, 12:50:38 AM9/19/23
You won't find me cooping up chickens in a chicken coop. That's not showing aloha to the chickens!
These burds are city chickens. When you're a chicken living in the city, compromises have to be made.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yEn5neTWcWq31bfZ9

S Viemeister

Sep 19, 2023, 2:53:54 AM9/19/23
On 18/09/2023 23:23, Bruce wrote:

> I don't mind most accents, except when I think they're deliberately
> exaggerating it, like the Hairy Bikers, Billy Connolly or Steve Irwin,
> When it's a shtick.

I met Billy Connolly before he was famous, back when he was a folkie.
He isn't faking that accent, that's how he sounds among friends, even
when blootered.

Michael Trew

Sep 19, 2023, 11:54:55 AM9/19/23
That doesn't bother me, nor does southern US dialect. For some reason,
many European accents grate on me. Scottish is usually the worst on the
ears (Sorry, Sheila).

S Viemeister

Sep 19, 2023, 12:18:43 PM9/19/23
There are many, very different Scottish accents. There are some which I
find extremely irritating. Most of my Scottish relatives have either an
educated Edinburgh accent, or a Highland accent, which my American
born-and-raised husband finds easy to tolerate. Glaswegian accents,
though...

Ed P

Sep 19, 2023, 12:29:26 PM9/19/23
Worked with a guy that came from Scotland when he was about 12 yo. It
was a like a second language, he could turn it on and off

S Viemeister

Sep 19, 2023, 12:47:03 PM9/19/23
That's because it IS a second language, not just an accent. Scots is
related to English, as, for instance, Dutch is related to Plattdeutsch.
Related, but different languages.

rec.food.cooking

Sep 19, 2023, 1:10:25 PM9/19/23
The idea of people being bothered by the way a person talks is an interesting one. It's not like the person is trying to insult the people that hear him. People get upset for the silliest of reasons. This would be one of them.

dsi1

Sep 19, 2023, 2:28:15 PM9/19/23
Here's Billy Connolly - sometimes people get too focused on the meaning of words. In this case, the words spoken aren't really important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BkwnGq2yaA

Graham

Sep 19, 2023, 2:38:56 PM9/19/23
My vertebrate palaeontology lecturer was from Glasgow. Try and imagine
"Australopithicus" in a broad Glaswegian accent:-)
He was highly regarded but at an international conference, he asked a
question 3 times before a colleague had to step in and translate for
the hapless speaker.

S Viemeister

Sep 19, 2023, 3:09:48 PM9/19/23
You have my deepest sympathy.

Bruce

Sep 19, 2023, 3:51:35 PM9/19/23
On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 11:28:11 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
Yes, thát accent.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Sep 19, 2023, 3:53:09 PM9/19/23
I don't like the Indian accent in English. Can I say that in 2023?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Sep 19, 2023, 3:55:39 PM9/19/23
That's the thing. I don't mind any Scottish accent except Billy
Connolly's. That's why I think, ok thought, that he was exaggerating
it for comedic effect.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Sep 19, 2023, 3:56:51 PM9/19/23
Dutch people with strong local accents can do that too if they have a
little bit of education.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 19, 2023, 4:39:21 PM9/19/23
On Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 2:53:09 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> I don't like the Indian accent in English. Can I say that in 2023?
>
> Bruce

Yes, you can, and I agree with you 100%. I don't know where it is companies
send their Indian telephone customer service representatives to learn the
English language, but they need ask for a refund.

Bruce

Sep 19, 2023, 5:18:20 PM9/19/23
They probably never hear any other English than Indian English.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

jmcquown

Sep 19, 2023, 6:53:59 PM9/19/23
On 9/19/2023 2:53 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 18/09/2023 23:23, Bruce wrote:
>
>> I don't mind most accents, except when I think they're deliberately
>> exaggerating it, like the Hairy Bikers, Billy Connolly or Steve Irwin,
>> When it's a shtick.
>>
> I met Billy Connolly before he was famous, back when he was a folkie.
> He isn't faking that accent, that's how he sounds among friends, even
> when blootered.

IIRC Billy Connolly is a Glaswegian. I understand the accent (only
because of my maternal grandparents). I always found him to be
hiliarious but a lot of people I know who have seen his comedy don't
understand a word he's saying.

Jill

Bruce

Sep 19, 2023, 7:42:52 PM9/19/23
On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 18:53:45 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
I understand him but don't like his cutesy "I'm so funny" accent.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

songbird

Sep 19, 2023, 8:12:39 PM9/19/23
S Viemeister wrote:
> On 19/09/2023 19:38, Graham wrote:
>> My vertebrate palaeontology lecturer was from Glasgow. Try and imagine
>> "Australopithicus" in a broad Glaswegian accent:-)
>
> You have my deepest sympathy.

if it was archaeology deepest sympathy would be a
great pun. :)

>> He was highly regarded but at an international conference, he asked a
>> question 3 times before a colleague had to step in and translate for
>> the hapless speaker.

ha!

songbird (ossifer i swear i weren't drinking

Michael Trew

Sep 19, 2023, 11:44:58 PM9/19/23
Perhaps the latter is what I'm thinking of. Think: Very thick accent,
awful as it sounds, with mucus, or very nasally.

Bruce

Sep 19, 2023, 11:47:06 PM9/19/23
An accent with mucus, now that's an interesting concept.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Michael Trew

Sep 19, 2023, 11:55:41 PM9/19/23
Most call centers are in the Philippians, not India. It's actually a
well paying job over there. I don't like tech support or billing being
outsourced, and I'd rather talk to someone local, but I can't look down
on those people. Learning another language and communicating from the
other side of the world is no small feat.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 20, 2023, 12:11:40 AM9/20/23
I have spoken with technicians from Microsoft, and they were in Manilla and
I was super surprised when she told me that's where she was. This was many,
many years ago; absolutely no accent at all. It's been about a year since I spoke
with a technician at a technology company (not Microsoft) and he had an Indian
accent. Thankfully, it was not heavily accented; I have in the past when connected
to customer support for a company to ask to speak to someone in the USA. Yes,
you can do that, and you will be connected in a few seconds.

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 20, 2023, 12:47:31 AM9/20/23
I'd agree if the local source was good. When I was visiting Joan a year
or so ago she had a problem with the cable (Charter) and the tech that
came to the house could not get it working right. The support guy in
the states was no help. They lady in the Philippines got us set up right.

As for India, many telemarketers calls come from there. Often scammers.
Nice guy that I am, I always ask where in Pakistan they are from.

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 1:30:38 AM9/20/23
In India they have entire buildings populated by full-time scammers.
They call people in the US, Europe, Australia etc. and try to rip them
off. It's just a job there.

"Philippians is a letter written by the Apostle Paul to the church in
Philippi, a city in northern Greece."
<source: my artificially intelligent friend>

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 1:33:18 AM9/20/23
I called the tax department a few weeks ago and spoke to a woman with
a strong Indian accent. She helped me very well and I had no problem
understanding her. Fair's fair.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 1:34:52 AM9/20/23
"I love your accent! It's Sikh!"

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

S Viemeister

Sep 20, 2023, 3:11:37 AM9/20/23
That, and really sloppy enunciation.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 20, 2023, 6:08:39 PM9/20/23
On Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 11:47:31 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> When I was visiting Joan a year
> or so ago she had a problem with the cable (Charter) and the tech that
> came to the house could not get it working right. The support guy in
> the states was no help. They lady in the Philippines got us set up right.

Did I share the story where a boss at work was doing some online work at home
one night?? She had Comcast as cable and internet provider and was not able to
establish a connection after many tries. A call to the service department got her
connected to a fellow in India. He asked her to go outside and see if the lights in
her village were on or not!! Needless to say, we were all rolling on the floor with
laughter at that bit of information.

> As for India, many telemarketers calls come from there. Often scammers.
> Nice guy that I am, I always ask where in Pakistan they are from.

I just don't answer the phone any longer if the name or number is not displayed
or is not familiar to me. But I'll have to remember this question if I should slip
up and answer the phone.

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 20, 2023, 11:04:58 PM9/20/23
On 2023-09-19, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
> On 9/18/2023 6:23 PM, Bruce wrote:

>> I don't know anybody else who talks this bad.

> That doesn't bother me, nor does southern US dialect. For some reason,
> many European accents grate on me. Scottish is usually the worst on the
> ears (Sorry, Sheila).

If you have a sense of humor and aren't worried about #wokeness, google
Kevin Bloody Wilson and "The Pubic Hair Song". Kevin explains accents
beautifully but nowadays would be strung up in the public square for
singing this song. I miss humor.
Damned Australians ruint it.
He does a bunch of "what used to be hilarious" songs. Thank God, we've
progressed! Feel free to listen to others. They're profane and used to
be funny to old folks like me.

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 20, 2023, 11:14:37 PM9/20/23
On 2023-09-19, S Viemeister <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

> That's because it IS a second language, not just an accent. Scots is
> related to English, as, for instance, Dutch is related to Plattdeutsch.
> Related, but different languages.

When I went to school, we were all Indo-Europeans except the Basque. I
suppose that's changed.

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 11:18:10 PM9/20/23
On 21 Sep 2023 03:04:52 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2023-09-19, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>> On 9/18/2023 6:23 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>>> I don't know anybody else who talks this bad.
>
>> That doesn't bother me, nor does southern US dialect. For some reason,
>> many European accents grate on me. Scottish is usually the worst on the
>> ears (Sorry, Sheila).
>

>If you have a sense of humor and aren't worried about #wokeness, google
>Kevin Bloody Wilson and "The Pubic Hair Song".

Sometimes innocent people become guilty of things they're accused of
but have never done. Until they were accused of them. Don't become the
new Sheldon, Leo!

I'd never heard of this guy (although I think you may have posted
about him once before), but he rang a vague bell with my wife.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 11:25:18 PM9/20/23
On 21 Sep 2023 03:14:31 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
That rings a bell. What was the story about Basque, Finnish and
Hungarian language? They were all not Indo-European, but what then?
Martian?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 20, 2023, 11:38:56 PM9/20/23
On 2023-09-19, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:39:15 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
><itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>>Yes, you can, and I agree with you 100%. I don't know where it is companies
>>send their Indian telephone customer service representatives to learn the
>>English language, but they need ask for a refund.

> They probably never hear any other English than Indian English.

Just a couple of days ago, I had a technical question about my online
banking. I was transferred to a gentleman who I couldn't understand. I
put my wife on the phone, and she couldn't understand him either.
I did understand "cache" and "reboot", so I did. He was out of his
depth, unintelligible and it didn't work.
On my second call, I was finally transferred to tech support. I clearly
understood him. After doing "stuff", I was given a case number.
They called today. The problem remains unresolved, but I have a real
phone number, people I can understand and a temporary solution.

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 21, 2023, 12:56:33 AM9/21/23
On 2023-09-21, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> That rings a bell. What was the story about Basque, Finnish and
> Hungarian language? They were all not Indo-European, but what then?
> Martian?

At least with the Basque, their root language was not Indo-European.
Words like mother, father, food, self were not rooted in Indo-European.
So, where the hell did they come from? I suspect Neanderthal, but I'm
not telling anybody.
If so, Hurrah! My best college friend was Basque, and some of the best
looking girls there were too. Nevada is chock full of Basques.
I know nothing of Finns and Hungarians, and maybe what I once learned
is outdated.

Bruce

Sep 21, 2023, 2:27:59 AM9/21/23
On 21 Sep 2023 04:56:26 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
I asked my artificially intelligent friend. This is the takeaway:
"The origin of the Basque language remains a mystery. One theory is
that Basque is the descendant of a language that was spoken in Europe
before the arrival of the Indo-European languages."

"Finnish is a Finno-Ugric language, which means that it is related to
languages such as Hungarian, Estonian, and Sami."

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 21, 2023, 3:03:04 AM9/21/23
On 2023-09-21, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I asked my artificially intelligent friend. This is the takeaway:
> "The origin of the Basque language remains a mystery. One theory is
> that Basque is the descendant of a language that was spoken in Europe
> before the arrival of the Indo-European languages."

Cro-Magnon? I think they were the original cave-wall painters. Again,
my info may be outdated. I ain't googling for this convo. Did I get
"convo" right?

Bruce

Sep 21, 2023, 3:09:18 AM9/21/23
On 21 Sep 2023 07:02:56 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
Convo is very Australian, but maybe not just Australian?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Sep 21, 2023, 3:28:35 AM9/21/23
On 21 Sep 2023 07:02:56 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
I asked my friend:
"It is possible that Cro-Magnon spoke Basque."

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

songbird

Sep 21, 2023, 8:05:26 AM9/21/23
Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> Cro-Magnon? I think they were the original cave-wall painters. Again,
> my info may be outdated. I ain't googling for this convo. Did I get
> "convo" right?

10-4 good buddy!

All clear ahead, put the hammer down!

songbird

Dave Smith

Sep 21, 2023, 9:30:24 AM9/21/23
On 2023-09-20 11:38 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> On my second call, I was finally transferred to tech support. I clearly
> understood him. After doing "stuff", I was given a case number.
> They called today. The problem remains unresolved, but I have a real
> phone number, people I can understand and a temporary solution.

I once had to deal with someone in tech support who had such a heavy
Indian accent I could not understand him. I had to get him to repeat
everything four times. That might help to explain why I had been on hold
for so long. At one point he told be to click on "castle" I asked him
to repeat it. Again it was castle. I was searching the screen for the
word "castle" or an icon with a parapets or a moat, something that
looked like a castle. Eventually I realized he was trying to say "cancel".

I once heard a funny conversation involving one of the guys I used to
play pickleball with. He was a doctor from India. I could never
understand Ravi. Someone was asking him about coming to Canada and
sympathized with him having to do exams and get his medical
qualifications in English. Ravi said that was not a problem because
English is his first language. I had trouble understanding him as he
said that, not to mention the questions it left in my mind.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 21, 2023, 12:16:20 PM9/21/23
It's an accent. Just like any other accent that's impenetrable
to outsiders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqLuIXwsLDw

--
Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Sep 21, 2023, 4:44:58 PM9/21/23
Um, that would be "convoy". :)

Jill

songbird

Sep 21, 2023, 5:01:09 PM9/21/23
jmcquown wrote:
> Um, that would be "convoy". :)

of course! my humor escapes you.

songbird

Hank Rogers

Sep 21, 2023, 7:12:06 PM9/21/23
Her majesty likely found your humor treasonous.

Michael Trew

Sep 21, 2023, 11:55:33 PM9/21/23
On 9/20/2023 11:38 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> Just a couple of days ago, I had a technical question about my online
> banking. I was transferred to a gentleman who I couldn't understand. I
> put my wife on the phone, and she couldn't understand him either.
> I did understand "cache" and "reboot", so I did. He was out of his
> depth, unintelligible and it didn't work.
> On my second call, I was finally transferred to tech support. I clearly
> understood him. After doing "stuff", I was given a case number.
> They called today. The problem remains unresolved, but I have a real
> phone number, people I can understand and a temporary solution.

Better you than me. I solve the problem by paying with checks. I've
never done any kind of on-online baking stuff. If they won't send me a
paper bill, they won't get paid.

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 22, 2023, 12:07:11 AM9/22/23
Check washing is becoming popular now. Mail is not so safe any more.

Bruce

Sep 22, 2023, 12:41:45 AM9/22/23
Online baking, if only Julia Child was still alive to see it.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Sep 22, 2023, 6:52:33 AM9/22/23
Sending checks through the mail sounds so 20th century. How far we've come.

dsi1

Sep 22, 2023, 6:58:56 AM9/22/23
In the future, cooking will be done by your personal robot. The robot will be in charge of ordering food for drone delivery and cooking your meals. The robot will have all cooking shows ever made in its data banks and will be able to cook in the style of Julia Child, The Iron Chefs, Sandra Lee, et. al.

Bruce

Sep 22, 2023, 7:25:15 AM9/22/23

Bruce

Sep 22, 2023, 7:25:53 AM9/22/23
Yes, but we won't be around anymore.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Dave Smith

Sep 22, 2023, 9:15:45 AM9/22/23

Dave Smith

Sep 22, 2023, 9:19:35 AM9/22/23
On 2023-09-22 6:52 a.m., dsi1 wrote:

> Sending checks through the mail sounds so 20th century. How far we've come.

One of the stories on the news here this morning is about a missing
cheque. A man in Ontario sent a certified cheque to his brother in
Quebec. That payee got the notice about the registered mail. He went to
the post office to pick it up and the cheque is missing. Since it is
certified it cannot be cancelled. The bank will issue another one but it
someone else gets the old one and cashes it, the payer will be liable
for the amount. He is not prepared to risk having to make good on a
$300,000 cheque that ended up in the wrong hands.

songbird

Sep 22, 2023, 9:21:29 AM9/22/23
Michael Trew wrote:
> Better you than me. I solve the problem by paying with checks. I've
> never done any kind of on-online baking stuff. If they won't send me a
> paper bill, they won't get paid.

that reminds me that i never got a printed receipt
from the plumbers when i asked them to send one. grr!
all this texting crap has gotten out of hand...

songbird

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 22, 2023, 10:06:32 AM9/22/23
My mother's plumber e-mailed both of us a receipt. Easy-peasy.
We paid with a credit card. Gotta love that cashback.

--
Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Sep 22, 2023, 12:01:10 PM9/22/23
Are you the new Gary? (j/k)

Jill

Ed P

Sep 22, 2023, 1:01:38 PM9/22/23
Depends on the plumber. In the last house the plumber quoted $400 for
the work to be done in the bathroom. I said I'd pay cash. Then it was
$300. Love that cashback.

bruce bowser

Sep 22, 2023, 3:28:46 PM9/22/23
On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 6:58:56 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 6:41:45 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 23:55:31 -0400, Michael Trew
> > <michae...@att.net> wrote:

> > >Better you than me. I solve the problem by paying with checks. I've
> > >never done any kind of on-online baking stuff.
> > Online baking, if only Julia Child was still alive to see it.
> >
> > --
> > Bruce
> > <https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>
> In the future, cooking will be done by your personal robot.

I disagree. Too many viruses, computer hackers and malware would cause trouble.

dsi1

Sep 22, 2023, 3:43:04 PM9/22/23
I'm not too worried about that. After the machines wipe out humans, they'll destroy themselves. The planet will once become the domain of beings without the knowledge of past, present, or future, or ego. This planet's domination by creatures that worship Gods and know of their mortality will be only an insignificant glitch in the ashes of time.

GM

Sep 22, 2023, 3:51:36 PM9/22/23
dsi1 wrote:

> I'm not too worried about that. After the machines wipe out humans, they'll destroy themselves. The planet will once become the domain of beings without the knowledge of past, present, or future, or ego. This planet's domination by creatures that worship Gods and know of their mortality will be only an insignificant glitch in the ashes of time.

Not me, God has promised that I'll survive all that:

Joshua 7:21

"When I saw among the spoils a beautiful cloak from Babylon, 200 silver shekels, and a bar of gold
weighing 50 shekels, I coveted them and took them. You can see for yourself. They are concealed in
the ground inside my tent, with the money under the cloak...”

--
GM

Bruce

Sep 22, 2023, 4:08:23 PM9/22/23
On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:42:59 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
With that attitude nothing matters.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Sep 22, 2023, 4:15:12 PM9/22/23
That's a typical Bruce way of seeing things. The typical dsi1 way of looking at it is that we should be grateful to exist in this small slice of time and to enjoy ourselves while we can i.e., don't blow this chance you've been given. It's like you've won the biggest lottery there ever was.

Bruce

Sep 22, 2023, 4:45:45 PM9/22/23
On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 13:15:08 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>That's a typical Bruce way of seeing things.

But it's not my attitude. I think we should enjoy "this small slice of
time" that we have.

>The typical dsi1 way of looking at it is that we should be grateful
>to exist in this small slice of time and to enjoy ourselves while we
>can i.e., don't blow this chance you've been given. It's like you've
>won the biggest lottery there ever was.

I don't think we disagree.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 22, 2023, 5:13:30 PM9/22/23
This was a plumbing company, rather than an individual. I didn't
want to give some random employee $800-900.

--
Cindy Hamilton

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 22, 2023, 7:58:06 PM9/22/23
On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 2:51:36 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:

> Not me, God has promised that I'll survive all that:
>
> Joshua 7:21
>
> "When I saw among the spoils a beautiful cloak from Babylon, 200 silver shekels, and a bar of gold
> weighing 50 shekels, I coveted them and took them. You can see for yourself. They are concealed in
> the ground inside my tent, with the money under the cloak...”
>
> GM

The sin of Achan. He and his whole family paid for that with their lives.

Michael Trew

Sep 23, 2023, 11:39:17 AM9/23/23
On 9/22/2023 10:06 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On the rare occasion I call a plumber, I pay in cash for a discount, and
save a lot more than credit card cash back (saved at least 15 per cent
off the quoted price). No receipt necessary.

Dave Smith

Sep 23, 2023, 1:58:20 PM9/23/23
I have had plumbers in twice in the last 10 years and paid cash. The
first was when I remodeled the kitchen and was having trouble with the
sink drains. The guy came by on his way home from another job. He
provided the new tail pieces and labour.... $100 cash. A couple years
ago I needed one to change the cartridge on my shower faucet. I had the
cartridge but couldn't unscrew the retaining screw. The plumber and hus
helper stopped on their way to a job.... $40 cash.

dsi1

Sep 23, 2023, 3:16:21 PM9/23/23
My condo has been invaded by an army of plumbers. The walls are ripped open. They found a non-compliancy issue with the pipe connections as well as a leaky shower valve. They're not going to put the drywall up until that resolved. No problem - all I have to do is pay this army over 600 bucks and they'll take care of it. I don't have the time to dick around for them to put the wall back up so 600+ bucks it is.

Bruce

Sep 23, 2023, 3:59:51 PM9/23/23
Here, tradies give us an invoice, that I pay right away with Internet
banking.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Sep 23, 2023, 4:19:35 PM9/23/23

bruce bowser

Sep 23, 2023, 4:32:25 PM9/23/23
It almost makes you wonder how the best to live is ... own or rent a house? rent an apartment (where such costs are already baked-in)? Its a gamble, I tell ya.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 23, 2023, 5:00:41 PM9/23/23
This wasn't _a_ plumber. It was a plumbing company. The guy
who showed up at the house was an employee--not in a position to
do any negotiating.

--
Cindy Hamilton

songbird

Sep 23, 2023, 8:10:12 PM9/23/23
bruce bowser wrote:
> It almost makes you wonder how the best to live is ... own or rent a house? rent an apartment (where such costs are already baked-in)? Its a gamble, I tell ya.

i enjoy gardening so as long as i can do that i sure
don't want a condo or apartment living again.

songbird

Ed P

Sep 23, 2023, 8:11:36 PM9/23/23
Never lived in an apartment. Bought my first house when I was 20 a few
months before we got married.

Long before I retired, no rent, no mortgage, no beholding to someone
else. I guess renting is OK if you don't want responsibility.

Michael Trew

Sep 23, 2023, 11:23:56 PM9/23/23
Yes. I can usually do little (and even larger) jobs by myself. I had
to sweat a fair bit of copper pipe for both the boiler and the water
lines when fixing my house up.

For some reason, tree roots get into the terra-cotta sewer line, and I
have to call someone to snake it out every couple of years. It's really
a drag. I'm afraid it's going to eventually collapse.

Michael Trew

Sep 23, 2023, 11:26:43 PM9/23/23
Oh, I've never called one of those. A local one is called "Gillece".
Normally those types rip you off, so I don't trust any of them. I found
the current plumber by asking around for someone reliable and affordable.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 24, 2023, 5:20:08 AM9/24/23
This was a company my mother had used before.

If/when my husband becomes unable to work on our plumbing, I'll call
these guys:

https://oldetowneplumbing.com/

When we owned our first house, they had a little showroom down the
road from us. They were extremely nice about teaching my husband
stuff.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Michael Trew

Sep 24, 2023, 7:22:30 PM9/24/23
On 9/24/2023 5:20 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> If/when my husband becomes unable to work on our plumbing, I'll call
> these guys:
>
> https://oldetowneplumbing.com/

OK, I'm waiting for someone wittier than I to insert a Kuthe-esque Olde
world joke ;)

> When we owned our first house, they had a little showroom down the
> road from us. They were extremely nice about teaching my husband
> stuff.

That sounds like a good plumber to have on hand. I watched, and even
helped a local plumber work on my mother's circa 1960 boiler. He was
alone that day, and didn't mind the help, while I learned how to tear
apart and clean the heat exchanger. He was glad that I cleaned years of
built-up crud and debris from the chimney before he came. Clean the
junk out of your chimney every year, folks.

jmcquown

Sep 24, 2023, 8:08:00 PM9/24/23
On 9/24/2023 7:22 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/24/2023 5:20 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> If/when my husband becomes unable to work on our plumbing, I'll call
>> these guys:
>>
>> https://oldetowneplumbing.com/
>
> OK, I'm waiting for someone wittier than I to insert a Kuthe-esque Olde
> world joke ;)

I'm not wittier but I did think about it. :)

Jill

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 25, 2023, 6:11:05 AM9/25/23
On 2023-09-24, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
I don't have a chimney. Just PVC pipes.

Ok, the house has a chimney, but it's no longer used.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Michael Trew

Sep 25, 2023, 8:47:55 AM9/25/23
I suppose it doesn't make much of a difference in your case, then, if
you don't even have a water heater venting into it. Either way, opening
the little metal door at the base of the chimney to clean out leaves and
debris is an annual chore that no one thinks about until years go by,
and it fills the furnace flue pipe (if you have one), causing exhaust
gasses to fill your house.
It is loading more messages.