Saucepans with metal lids

DavidW

Feb 4, 2016, 3:57:06 PM2/4/16
I have an old stainless steel saucepan of 20cm diameter (about 2.5 to 3 litre)
that's developed a leak through a few tiny holes in the base. I didn't think
this could ever happen, but there you go. I'm looking for a replacement, but the
only ones about that size I can find have glass lids. Are any even made now with
metal lids? It also needs to have one long handle so it can be poured with one
hand, not two short handles on opposite sides.

Travis McGee

Feb 4, 2016, 4:09:17 PM2/4/16
Ikea has some nice saucepans with metal lids. I like the Favorit line,
which is stainless steel with an aluminum core, but they have others, I
believe, that are just stainless steel. The smaller pans, < 4 quarts,
also have one long handle riveted to the pan.

Jeßus

Feb 4, 2016, 4:12:55 PM2/4/16
You can still buy saucepans like that, although as you have found,
glass lids seem to be becoming more common. I'm not much keen on them
either. I've bought a lot of my SS pots and pans (with SS lids) from a
catering supplies store:
http://www.tashotel.com.au/products/cookware-bakeware/saucepans/

Don Wiss

Feb 4, 2016, 4:19:07 PM2/4/16
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 07:56:39 +1100, "DavidW" <n...@email.provided> wrote:

When I go to Amazon and do a search:
http://www.amazon.com/s/search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=saucepans

And scroll down, I find a Revere 3-qt, a Cuisinart 3-qt, a Cooks Standard
3-qt, a Farberware 2-qt. That's just for the first page.

As for diameters: The Revere is 20 cm, if you click on the Cuisinart there
are four 3-qts shown. The Cooks Standard is also 20 cm. The Farberware is
smaller than you want.

Mark Storkamp

Feb 4, 2016, 4:46:50 PM2/4/16
In article <wWOsy.234352$Gc6....@fx08.iad>,
I just bought a 3qt Tramontina that I've been happy with

<http://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-Gourmet-Stainless-Tri-Ply-Covered/dp/B0
09HBL14M/>

sf

Feb 4, 2016, 4:55:17 PM2/4/16
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 07:56:39 +1100, "DavidW" <n...@email.provided> wrote:

Take your lid with you when you shop and try it on the pans that
interest you. If it fits, use it and give the glass lid away.
Personally, I don't have a problem with glass lids, so that wouldn't
factor into buying a new saucepan.

Amazon has single handle saucepans in the 20cm diameter. Best to
search your local Amazon to see what's available in cm instead of
inches.
http://smile.amazon.com/Cooks-Standard-Multi-Ply-Stainless-Steel-3-Quart/dp/B00421AYIG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_79_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31nzbIAFv7L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0YW1XHN1ZR6CBNGE4ETP

--

sf

Janet

Feb 4, 2016, 6:28:29 PM2/4/16
In article <wWOsy.234352$Gc6....@fx08.iad>, n...@email.provided says...
Do you have a discount chain called TK Maxx over there? They have
excellent household departments where you can get high quality goods at
very reduced prices.

Janet UK

Nunya Bidnits

Feb 4, 2016, 7:18:25 PM2/4/16

"DavidW" wrote in message
One of Ikea's lines still has steel lids.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90286418/

Nunya Bidnits

Feb 4, 2016, 7:21:49 PM2/4/16

"Travis McGee" wrote in message

>Ikea has some nice saucepans with metal lids. I like the
>Favorit line, which is stainless steel with an aluminum core,
>but they have others, I believe, that are just stainless steel.
>The smaller pans, < 4 quarts, also have one long handle riveted
>to the pan.

I just checked their site on the same thread and there seems to
be only one line remaining with steel lids. Didn't see a
"Favorit" line at all.

MartyB

DavidW

Feb 4, 2016, 7:21:51 PM2/4/16
Travis McGee wrote:
> Ikea has some nice saucepans with metal lids. I like the Favorit line,
> which is stainless steel with an aluminum core, but they have others,
> I believe, that are just stainless steel. The smaller pans, < 4
> quarts, also have one long handle riveted to the pan.

I didn't associate Ikea with kitchenware before, so I'll see if local stores
have anything.

DavidW

Feb 4, 2016, 7:25:46 PM2/4/16
Don Wiss wrote:
> When I go to Amazon and do a search:
> http://www.amazon.com/s/search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=saucepans
>
> And scroll down, I find a Revere 3-qt, a Cuisinart 3-qt, a Cooks
> Standard 3-qt, a Farberware 2-qt. That's just for the first page.
>
> As for diameters: The Revere is 20 cm, if you click on the Cuisinart
> there are four 3-qts shown. The Cooks Standard is also 20 cm. The
> Farberware is smaller than you want.

Some of those look good. I'm a bit wary of buying one online. I'd really prefer
to examine it properly first, but I'll do it if there's no other choice.

S Viemeister

Feb 4, 2016, 7:28:31 PM2/4/16
In the US, it's TJ Maxx and Home Goods.

DavidW

Feb 4, 2016, 7:30:46 PM2/4/16
Jeßus wrote:
> You can still buy saucepans like that, although as you have found,
> glass lids seem to be becoming more common. I'm not much keen on them
> either. I've bought a lot of my SS pots and pans (with SS lids) from a
> catering supplies store:
> http://www.tashotel.com.au/products/cookware-bakeware/saucepans/

Thanks. I'll also see if there's a Victorian equivalent that has an actual store
I can visit.

Travis McGee

Feb 4, 2016, 7:32:31 PM2/4/16
Sure enough; they must have discontinued Favorit. Too bad. I have the 1,
2, 4, and 8 quart saucepans, and I really like them.

DavidW

Feb 4, 2016, 7:35:50 PM2/4/16
sf wrote:
> Take your lid with you when you shop and try it on the pans that
> interest you. If it fits, use it and give the glass lid away.
> Personally, I don't have a problem with glass lids, so that wouldn't
> factor into buying a new saucepan.

My main reason is that metal lids are indestructible. You can treat them
roughly, whereas you need to be careful with a glass lid. Drop it just once and
I'll have a useless saucepan I can't cover. Metal lids are also lighter.

sf

Feb 4, 2016, 7:54:07 PM2/4/16
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:35:22 +1100, "DavidW" <n...@email.provided> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > Take your lid with you when you shop and try it on the pans that
> > interest you. If it fits, use it and give the glass lid away.
> > Personally, I don't have a problem with glass lids, so that wouldn't
> > factor into buying a new saucepan.
>
> My main reason is that metal lids are indestructible. You can treat them
> roughly, whereas you need to be careful with a glass lid. Drop it just once and
> I'll have a useless saucepan I can't cover. Metal lids are also lighter.

Disagree on all points, but it's obvious that you're not going to
change your mind - so bring your metal lid with you when you shop.

--

sf

Don Wiss

Feb 4, 2016, 8:11:50 PM2/4/16
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:35:22 +1100, DavidW <n...@email.provided> wrote:

>My main reason is that metal lids are indestructible. You can treat them
>roughly, whereas you need to be careful with a glass lid. Drop it just once and
>I'll have a useless saucepan I can't cover. Metal lids are also lighter.

My main problem with the glass lids with a metal band around the edge is
fat and water can get between the glass and metal. Then when you think you
have cleaned it, what was trapped leaks out.

I like 100% glass lids, as sold with Pyrex casserole dishes.

Nancy2

Feb 4, 2016, 8:46:26 PM2/4/16
I am like SF, and like my glass lids. I have never observed any liquid
leaking from any part of the metal rim. Mine go in the dishwasher, and
if there were such reserved moisture to leak out, trust me, I would notice.

My only problem is that yes, I have dropped the largest one and it
shattered (into nubbins, like a windshield, not into shards because it
Is tempered glass) and a more minor drop might bend the metal rim.
But I still like them much better than metal lids, no question.

N.

Julie Bove

Feb 4, 2016, 8:48:46 PM2/4/16

"DavidW" <n...@email.provided> wrote in message
> [...]
You might try Ebay if you are wanting the exact same thing that you have.
Yes, it will likely be used. And I presume that you can still buy sauce
pans with metal lids. I just bought a big stock pot with a metal lid. Some
of my newer pans to have the glass lids. I have no issues with them.

dsi1

Feb 4, 2016, 8:51:24 PM2/4/16
I dumped a bunch of my utensils and when the dust settled, I found that
I had no lids. Well I had several lids but they were way over-sized.
Oopsie! My plan is to got to Ross and get me some lids. I like the flat
metal lids the fit different sized pans. In the meanwhile, I'm using a
plate and a frying pan for my lid-ding needs.

My granddaughter got a beautiful set of stainless steel pans for
Christmas. Unfortunately she's 2 years old and I can't use the pans.
That's the breaks.

http://www.target.com/p/melissa-doug-let-s-play-house-pots-pans-set/-/A-16699889

jmcquown

Feb 4, 2016, 9:02:41 PM2/4/16
On 2/4/2016 3:56 PM, DavidW wrote:
Have you looked for Farberware stainless?

Jill

graham

Feb 4, 2016, 9:14:58 PM2/4/16
I have a lot of Eva-Trio, a Danish make that has flat lids that enable
one to stack the pans, even on the stove top when one wants to keep
something warm.
Graham

Don Wiss

Feb 4, 2016, 9:15:45 PM2/4/16
On Thu, 4 Feb 2016, Nancy2 <ellor...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am like SF, and like my glass lids. I have never observed any liquid
>leaking from any part of the metal rim. Mine go in the dishwasher, and
>if there were such reserved moisture to leak out, trust me, I would notice.

I am hand washing, until my kitchen renovation is done. I only own the one,
and it was bought after my renovation was started. So I have no idea how it
would do in a dishwasher.

It did have a little fall once. So the rim may be bent a little. And it is
large, like 11" diameter. It was bought to fit over a fry pan.

DavidW

Feb 4, 2016, 9:32:20 PM2/4/16
I had a look and there's a 3-quart one, although it looks a little taller and
narrower than mine. I would want the gas flame on full not to be wider than the
base. At 20 cm width the flame goes close to the edge.

DavidW

Feb 4, 2016, 9:38:38 PM2/4/16
Julie Bove wrote:
> "DavidW" <n...@email.provided> wrote in message
>> I have an old stainless steel saucepan of 20cm diameter (about 2.5
>> to 3 litre) that's developed a leak through a few tiny holes in the
>> base. I didn't think this could ever happen, but there you go. I'm
>> looking for a replacement, but the only ones about that size I can
>> find have glass lids. Are any even made now with metal lids? It also
>> needs to have one long handle so it can be poured with one hand, not
>> two short handles on opposite sides.
>
> You might try Ebay if you are wanting the exact same thing that you
> have. Yes, it will likely be used.

Good idea. I've already looked in few second-hand shops (Salvation Army and the
like). There are a few pots and pans in them. They probably have what I want at
times, but I'd have to be pretty lucky to show up when they do.

> I just bought a big stock pot with a
> metal lid. Some of my newer pans to have the glass lids. I have no
> issues with them.

There are new larger pots with metal lids but all the places I've been have only
glass lids for my size.

Brooklyn1

Feb 4, 2016, 9:46:05 PM2/4/16
DavidW wrote:
> I have an old stainless steel saucepan of 20cm diameter (about 2.5 to 3 litre)
> that's developed a leak through a few tiny holes in the base. I didn't think
> this could ever happen, but there you go. I'm looking for a replacement, but the
> only ones about that size I can find have glass lids. Are any even made now with
> metal lids? It also needs to have one long handle so it can be poured with one
> hand, not two short handles on opposite sides.

Huh? That's a Toys R Us Pot... I use a pot that size for scooping
bird seed... it's way too teeny for most cooking.
There are plenty of cookpots with metal lids... if you don't want to
spend a lot go for Farberware, their new design is a spectacular piece
of cookware... they are now heavy SS with a thick aluminum disk
stainless steel clad bottom. I bought a few and they are far better
than the originals... their 6 quart is my favorite, a relatively wide
pot with its high sides it's great for frying chops with very little
spatter. Of course there is no cookware that comes anywhere close to
the quality of Piazza... next to Piazza All-Crap is Dollar store
cookware.
The ultimate:
http://www.piazza.it/

DavidW

Feb 4, 2016, 10:24:53 PM2/4/16
Brooklyn1 wrote:
> DavidW wrote:
>> I have an old stainless steel saucepan of 20cm diameter (about 2.5
>> to 3 litre) that's developed a leak through a few tiny holes in the
>> base. I didn't think this could ever happen, but there you go. I'm
>> looking for a replacement, but the only ones about that size I can
>> find have glass lids. Are any even made now with metal lids? It also
>> needs to have one long handle so it can be poured with one hand, not
>> two short handles on opposite sides.
>
> Huh? That's a Toys R Us Pot... I use a pot that size for scooping
> bird seed... it's way too teeny for most cooking.

There are common sets of 3 pots where one roughly the size I described is the
largest of the three. You must be cooking for a commune or something if you
think that's teeny.

I use it mostly for pasta, 150 - 200g (dry weight) with about 2 litres of water.

> There are plenty of cookpots with metal lids... if you don't want to
> spend a lot go for Farberware, their new design is a spectacular piece
> of cookware... they are now heavy SS with a thick aluminum disk
> stainless steel clad bottom.

Someone else suggested that but the photo of the 3 quart one looks taller and
narrower than mine. The proportions of mine are just right for me, and the base
just covers the gas flame on full.

sf

Feb 5, 2016, 12:25:15 AM2/5/16
I have no preference. I take what I get, think one works as well as
the other and have never broken a glass lid.

--

sf

Jeßus

Feb 5, 2016, 1:14:34 AM2/5/16
It's quite an impressive store we have, considering the size of
Launceston. They know me well in there :)

I have no doubt you'll find an equivalent store in Victoria. I agree,
there's nothing like seeing and handling cookware yourself to really
know if it's what you're looking for.

Julie Bove

Feb 5, 2016, 3:38:27 AM2/5/16

"Janet" <nob...@home.org> wrote in message
I think you mean TJ Maxx. And they may well sell some high quality stuff
but they also sell a lot of crap. Such as the shoes I bought where one of
them totally fell apart within 24 hours. I was walking along and all of a
sudden, then I wasn't walking along. They were a moccasin style and they
had used one long strip of leather to connect the top of the shoe to the
bottom. That came loose. Thankfully I was able to rethread it and fix it
enough to where I could get myself home. I had gone to a Pink Floyd laser
light concert at the Seattle Center and was on my way in when it happened.
I haven't bought too much else there since.

Julie Bove

Feb 5, 2016, 3:45:07 AM2/5/16

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 19:28:37 -0500, S Viemeister wrote:
>
>> In the US, it's TJ Maxx and Home Goods.
>
> I meant to stop into the Home Goods store today when I was next door
> at BB&B but blew it off. I had never been in there and don't know
> what they are. And now that I look at their pathetic website I still
> don't know what to expect.
>
> You pull up their "Browse Departments" page and all I you see is a
> bunch of crappy customer-taken photos organized like Pinterest posts.
> Some of the pictures are even displayed sideways. Duh.

It's very much like TJ but minus the clothing. I wondered when I first went
there because the items seemed the same. The Home Goods place just had a
lot more of the home type items such as furniture, rugs and pet things.
Oddly enough the kitchen part wasn't a lot bigger. I did buy a couple of
knives there and some whole wheat pasta. I may have bought a throw rug. I
do remember looking but not sure if I bought. I think I also bought a set
of pillowcases.

Overall, I didn't notice any really good prices on cooking type stuff and
much of what they were selling was not a known brand. They had a lot of
nice looking skillets in terms of if you were looking for something in a
bright color or a leopard print on the outside, but the skillets themselves
looked kind of crappy to me. So perhaps nice for a show piece if you have
one of those hanging pot racks but I'm not sure I would want to use one.

One place the OP might consider is a hardware store if he has a smaller
store where he lives. Although Lowes does sell some kitchen stuff, I don't
know about pans. I am always surprised though at what the smaller Ace
hardware store has here. And when we had a store in downtown Edmonds, they
were good for kitchen things too.

Julie Bove

Feb 5, 2016, 3:47:29 AM2/5/16

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
So far I have yet to break a glass lid. They are heavier though so if he
has trouble with stuff like that, metal might work better. He might also
consider a universal lid or one of the silicone ones if he doesn't need a
tight seal. I use my silicone things for almost everything now if I need a
lid.

Julie Bove

Feb 5, 2016, 3:49:41 AM2/5/16

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
I think I would be far more likely to lose control of a metal lid than I
would a glass one. Most of my metal lidded pans are old Revereware and the
lids are lightweight. I have accidentally flung a lid a time or two,
particularly when hand washing and the knob is wet and slippery. The glass
lids do have some weight to them.

S Viemeister

Feb 5, 2016, 7:53:16 AM2/5/16
On 2/5/2016 12:13 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 19:28:37 -0500, S Viemeister wrote:
>
>> In the US, it's TJ Maxx and Home Goods.
>
> I meant to stop into the Home Goods store today when I was next door
> at BB&B but blew it off. I had never been in there and don't know
> what they are. And now that I look at their pathetic website I still
> don't know what to expect.

I never know what to expect when I visit one of their stores - stock
changes rapidly. They appear to purchase a fair amount of overstocks and
gone-out-of-business merchandise. I've found some really nice
kitchenware there at amazingly low prices.

Janet

Feb 5, 2016, 10:10:11 AM2/5/16
In article <n91msi$9u2$1...@dont-email.me>, juli...@frontier.com says...

> "Janet" <nob...@home.org> wrote in message
> > In article <wWOsy.234352$Gc6....@fx08.iad>, n...@email.provided says...
> >>
> >> I have an old stainless steel saucepan of 20cm diameter (about 2.5 to 3
> >> litre)
> >> that's developed a leak through a few tiny holes in the base. I didn't
> >> think
> >> this could ever happen, but there you go. I'm looking for a replacement,
> >> but the
> >> only ones about that size I can find have glass lids. Are any even made
> >> now with
> >> metal lids? It also needs to have one long handle so it can be poured
> >> with one
> >> hand, not two short handles on opposite sides.
> >
> > Do you have a discount chain called TK Maxx over there? They have
> > excellent household departments where you can get high quality goods at
> > very reduced prices.
>
> I think you mean TJ Maxx.

As Sheila has posted, Maxx are TJ in USA; but TK here in UK.

> And they may well sell some high quality stuff
> but they also sell a lot of crap. Such as the shoes I bought where one of
> them totally fell apart within 24 hours

WTF do you keep buying crap everything? Anyone with half a brain can
tell the difference between high quality products and crap trash.

Janet UK

Cheri

Feb 5, 2016, 10:22:40 AM2/5/16
"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:n91nhl$bpo$1...@dont-email.me...
=========

I have never had that happen with either, and really have no preference either.

Cheri

Janet

Feb 5, 2016, 10:23:10 AM2/5/16
In article <dhjk9m...@mid.individual.net>, firs...@lastname.oc.ku
says...
Ditto. They also sell some top quality household linen. Worth a
rummage. I have a weakness for huge soft luxury-quality towels :-)

Janet UK.

S Viemeister

Feb 5, 2016, 11:11:37 AM2/5/16
On 2/5/2016 10:23 AM, Janet wrote:
> firs...@lastname.oc.ku
I also find good prices on walnut and almond oils.

jmcquown

Feb 5, 2016, 2:55:41 PM2/5/16
On 2/5/2016 10:10 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article <n91msi$9u2$1...@dont-email.me>, juli...@frontier.com says...
>>
>> but they also sell a lot of crap. Such as the shoes I bought where one of
>> them totally fell apart within 24 hours
>
> WTF do you keep buying crap everything? Anyone with half a brain can
> tell the difference between high quality products and crap trash.
>
> Janet UK

Give up, Janet. She'll never get it.

I bought a pair of sandals from a known retailer that lasted 20 years.
I bought another pair a couple of years ago, exact same style and brand.
They're still going strong.

I didn't buy them from some cheapo discount place that swaps out
merchandise every few weeks. But as others would say, oh well, it's her
money.

Jill

Jeßus

Feb 5, 2016, 3:21:21 PM2/5/16
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 14:55:21 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 2/5/2016 10:10 AM, Janet wrote:
>> In article <n91msi$9u2$1...@dont-email.me>, juli...@frontier.com says...
>>>
>>> but they also sell a lot of crap. Such as the shoes I bought where one of
>>> them totally fell apart within 24 hours
>>
>> WTF do you keep buying crap everything? Anyone with half a brain can
>> tell the difference between high quality products and crap trash.
>>
>Give up, Janet. She'll never get it.
>
>I bought a pair of sandals from a known retailer that lasted 20 years.
>I bought another pair a couple of years ago, exact same style and brand.
> They're still going strong.
>
>I didn't buy them from some cheapo discount place that swaps out
>merchandise every few weeks. But as others would say, oh well, it's her
>money.

Do you have those shops 'over there' that sell nothing but very cheap
crap at very cheap prices? I'm guessing you do as they're pretty
endemic these days. They seem to be very popular here with ppl with
limited incomes... particularly those that could be classed as
'bogans' in Australia (these ppl are probably described as trailer
trash or rednecks in the U.S). They buy all this useless crap that is
lucky to last a week, but never seem to wake up to that fact. All they
see are the cheap prices.

Helpful person

Feb 5, 2016, 3:50:59 PM2/5/16
On Friday, February 5, 2016 at 3:21:21 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:

> Do you have those shops 'over there' that sell nothing but very cheap
> crap at very cheap prices? I'm guessing you do as they're pretty
> endemic these days. They seem to be very popular here with ppl with
> limited incomes... particularly those that could be classed as
> 'bogans' in Australia (these ppl are probably described as trailer
> trash or rednecks in the U.S). They buy all this useless crap that is
> lucky to last a week, but never seem to wake up to that fact. All they
> see are the cheap prices.

You've obviously never been in a situation where you don't know where your next meal is coming from. There are many poor people, especially in the USA, who cannot afford even a few more pennies for better quality. No need to mock them.

http://www.richardfisher.com

dsi1

Feb 5, 2016, 4:01:44 PM2/5/16
That's the most sensible thing you're ever said! Hee hee.

Jeßus

Feb 5, 2016, 4:05:23 PM2/5/16
You misunderstand, I'm not mocking their poverty.

I *am* criticising them for spending their limited income very poorly,
on crap they don't need. I'm not talking about basic necessities like
food... not in this case, at least. Although food is another area
where I see many who can't afford to waste money, do exactly that.

Jeßus

Feb 5, 2016, 4:07:17 PM2/5/16
Really? What did I say that suggests I was mocking poor people?

dsi1

Feb 5, 2016, 4:13:47 PM2/5/16
Beats the heck out of me. I don't usually read these groups much. My
comment was not about what you said or suggested. I don't really know
what the heck you said nor do I think it relevant - to me, at least.

Jeßus

Feb 5, 2016, 4:17:39 PM2/5/16
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:13:43 -1000, dsi1 <ds...@fishing.net> wrote:
Err, okay...

Dave Smith

Feb 5, 2016, 6:07:04 PM2/5/16
On 2016-02-05 2:55 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Give up, Janet. She'll never get it.
>
> I bought a pair of sandals from a known retailer that lasted 20 years. I
> bought another pair a couple of years ago, exact same style and brand.
> They're still going strong.

You may consider yourself lucky. I used to buy a brand of boots that I
wore a lot summer and winter and they lasted for years. Over the years
they started needing more frequent replacement and soon got to the point
where they did not even last a year. I had a similar experience with
loafers. I had a brand I liked and got a couple years out of them, then
only a year. I stopped buying them after wearing out two pairs in less
than a year. I switched brands... went to Rocksport. I had one pair that
last a couple years and were always comfortable. When it came time to
repair them there was nothing of the same value.

As for sandals, I have a fondness for Birkenstocks. I bought my first
pair in Germany for $50 but when it came time to replace them they were
$150 here.... plus tax. When I questioned the price I was told it
costs a lot to ship them..... not $100. I waited until my next trip to
Germany to replace them. They have dropped in price here, and I have to
admit that they last a good long time.

Nunya Bidnits

Feb 5, 2016, 6:10:54 PM2/5/16

"Dave Smith" wrote in message

>As for sandals, I have a fondness for Birkenstocks.

The three main methods of birth control:
Pills
Condoms
Birkenstocks

Julie Bove

Feb 5, 2016, 10:34:44 PM2/5/16

"Janet" <nob...@home.org> wrote in message
I don't. I bought those shoes back in the 80's. I haven't bought much else
there since, much less gone into the store. I do go into one on occasion
when my husband is playing indoor golf. Watching that gets old in a hurry
so we will sometimes go into the store and look around. I did find some
discontinued spa socks there that I love. They were a known quantity. I've
had them before and they were fine.

Julie Bove

Feb 5, 2016, 10:38:19 PM2/5/16

"Jeßus" <j...@j.invalid> wrote in message
I have seen such places online. I saw one many years ago in Canada and I
think they are in big cities like NY. Haven't seen any here but haven't
looked either. I recently bought some scarves from a few places like that
online. I know they aren't quality but they'll be fine for a wearing or
three. I won't be needing them for long but for now I need some protection
to the area where I was cut. I don't normally wear scarves and I don't want
to spend much money on them.

Julie Bove

Feb 5, 2016, 10:47:06 PM2/5/16

"Helpful person" <rrl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
---

That is true but in some cases, the stuff is such crap that I wouldn't wish
it on the poor. I am thinking of the time that we got lost trying to come
back from the zoo in Philadelphia. We finally gave up and parked the car so
we could go into a bar for a drink and a snack. We were soaking wet. We
were near a Woolworth's five and dime so I dashed in there for some dry
clothes. I wasn't being choosy. I found T Shirts for my husband and I and
I think I found sweatpants for me. But the only shoes they had in my size
were cheap canvas ones. They weren't even comfortable to put on my feet
while sitting.

I then remembered back to my youth and remembered some of my friends and
classmates who had to wear such shoes because their parents couldn't afford
any better. I felt very bad for them.

When we got back to my in-law's house, I threw the shoes out. But my MIL
picked them from the trash and said she would take them as they were her
size. I told her they were no good. So she said if she didn't like them,
she would give them away. I tried to convince her that nobody would want
them.

But back in those days, I wore shoes of all kinds. I wore a very common
size. I had a $3 pair of sandals that came from K Mart and also a $9 pair
of moccasins from the same place. Had both for several years and they were
very comfortable and well made. But we also sold a lot of other shoes in
those days that were crap.

These days I have hard to fit feet and only a few brands will work for me.
I had to get rid of several pairs of expensive shoes and slippers because my
podiatrist told me not to wear them any more. Although comfortable, I was
apparently clenching the big toe on one foot as I walked and this was
causing a callous. At least that is what he surmised.

Julie Bove

Feb 5, 2016, 10:50:52 PM2/5/16

"Jeßus" <j...@j.invalid> wrote in message
Shoes and clothing are a necessity in this country too. And you don't know
what other people need. Just because you don't need something doesn't mean
that others don't. For years, my husband insisted that people didn't need
shampoo. If he used soap on his head, others could too. In those days he
was often called "Cue Ball". I'm sure you could guess why. Now that he's
not in the military, he has grown his hair out some and is asking for
shampoo.

Julie Bove

Feb 5, 2016, 10:51:58 PM2/5/16

> On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 07:20:55 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
>
>> Do you have those shops 'over there' that sell nothing but very cheap
>> crap at very cheap prices? I'm guessing you do as they're pretty
>> endemic these days. They seem to be very popular here with ppl with
>> limited incomes... particularly those that could be classed as
>> 'bogans' in Australia (these ppl are probably described as trailer
>> trash or rednecks in the U.S). They buy all this useless crap that is
>> lucky to last a week, but never seem to wake up to that fact. All they
>> see are the cheap prices.
>
> We call them Walmart shoppers.
>
> But there are other types of dollar stores, often catering to
> Mexicans, that carry even cheaper stuff than Walmart. Not so much the
> dollar store chains, but family owned five and dime type stores.
> Popular in Califronia and Texas, at least.

We used to have such stores but no more. Now there is just Dollar Tree.
They do sell some crap but also some good things.

Julie Bove

Feb 5, 2016, 10:53:20 PM2/5/16

"Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
Birkenstocks were popular here for a time. Thankfully not any more.

Bruce

Feb 5, 2016, 11:07:08 PM2/5/16

Janet B

Feb 5, 2016, 11:08:58 PM2/5/16
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 12:50:51 -0800 (PST), Helpful person
<rrl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

very right
Janet US

Bruce

Feb 5, 2016, 11:22:16 PM2/5/16
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 12:50:51 -0800 (PST), Helpful person
<rrl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Friends went to New York for the first time. They loved it and saw
lots of landmarks, but also said: "If you take two wrong turns, you're
in a third world country".

But I don't understand how it would help these poor people to buy
something cheap from a dollar shop and have it break down on them the
next day.

--
Bruce

Jeßus

Feb 6, 2016, 12:56:00 AM2/6/16
No shit?

> And you don't know what other people need.

And you don't know what I'm talking about, obviously.

>Just because you don't need something doesn't mean
>that others don't.

LOL. Forgive my arrogance for thinking people who are already short of
cash don't need to waste money on things like talking fish or other
non-essential plastic crap.

>For years, my husband insisted that people didn't need
>shampoo. If he used soap on his head, others could too. In those days he
>was often called "Cue Ball". I'm sure you could guess why. Now that he's
>not in the military, he has grown his hair out some and is asking for
>shampoo.

Whatever.

Jeßus

Feb 6, 2016, 12:56:19 AM2/6/16
On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 21:08:52 -0700, Janet B <nos...@cableone.net>
wrote:
Wrong. You guys don't know what I'm talking about.

Jeßus

Feb 6, 2016, 12:57:47 AM2/6/16
I don't think they understand the kind of shop or type of items I'm
talking about.

Jeßus

Feb 6, 2016, 12:59:17 AM2/6/16
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 19:51:43 -0800, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 07:20:55 +1100, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have those shops 'over there' that sell nothing but very cheap
>>> crap at very cheap prices? I'm guessing you do as they're pretty
>>> endemic these days. They seem to be very popular here with ppl with
>>> limited incomes... particularly those that could be classed as
>>> 'bogans' in Australia (these ppl are probably described as trailer
>>> trash or rednecks in the U.S). They buy all this useless crap that is
>>> lucky to last a week, but never seem to wake up to that fact. All they
>>> see are the cheap prices.
>>
>> We call them Walmart shoppers.

Nope, way off what I'm talking about. Walmart is a high-end store by
comparison.

>> But there are other types of dollar stores, often catering to
>> Mexicans, that carry even cheaper stuff than Walmart. Not so much the
>> dollar store chains, but family owned five and dime type stores.
>> Popular in Califronia and Texas, at least.
>
>We used to have such stores but no more. Now there is just Dollar Tree.
>They do sell some crap but also some good things.

Like canned rice?

Jeßus

Feb 6, 2016, 1:01:16 AM2/6/16
Proof there is no god.

Bruce

Feb 6, 2016, 1:06:48 AM2/6/16
In Hobart, there was a Chickenfeed and a Ship something.

--
Bruce

Jeßus

Feb 6, 2016, 1:26:00 AM2/6/16
Yes, exactly what I'm on about :)

Ophelia

Feb 6, 2016, 6:31:06 AM2/6/16

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message

>>Birkenstocks were popular here for a time. Thankfully not any more.
>
> I agree:
> <https://images.rapgenius.com/2f802e06fdb0c50a77fb817744ef9005.400x310x1.jpg>

Ahh thanks. I wondered what they were.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Julie Bove

Feb 6, 2016, 6:51:41 AM2/6/16

"Jeßus" <j...@j.invalid> wrote in message
Talking fish? What's a talking fish and why would a poor person even want
one?

Julie Bove

Feb 6, 2016, 6:54:15 AM2/6/16

"Jeßus" <j...@j.invalid> wrote in message
No. I got that from Walmart. And it is wild rice and not cheap. Dollar
Tree does have some food. Some of it is good. Some of it is a good deal.
Not all of it is a good deal. I mainly shop there for tissue paper, gift
bags and little geegaws that I can send to my MIL. She likes to give out
such things as gifts. Things like seasonal dish towels, fancy pens and
little decorative items. They're also good for some kinds of craft
supplies.

Julie Bove

Feb 6, 2016, 7:19:10 AM2/6/16

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
It might not help them but they can't afford more. For instance, this very
situation came up with a friend of a friend awhile back. She is elderly and
in senior living. She gets food stamps and is on disability. This wasn't
always the case. She did work for most of her life but she never had any
high paying jobs so never accrued much savings. She has to watch every
penny. But she is also in chronic pain. She was telling us how she buys
certain things at Dollar Tree because they are so much cheaper there. Such
things as pain patches and various pain relievers.

My friend tried to point out to her that it was probably best not to buy
those items there. They frequently have segments on the news about what not
to buy at dollar stores. Now I will say that I think that Dollar Tree is
different than the types of dollar stores that we used to have here. Those
types of stores would frequently sell things like maxi pads from China or
India and you'd see a lot of things with not much English and a lot of
foreign words.

One suspect thing that comes to mind was Colgate toothpaste. I know that
was discussed her. People felt it was safe because it was a known brand.
But what was really being sold was a bogus product. In some cases, these
products were harmless but they would likely not provide the vitamins or
pain relief or whatever that they promised. In other cases, such as the
toothpaste, they were downright dangerous because they were toxic.

So what did the friend of the friend say? That she just had no choice and
sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do. For one thing, she has no
vehicle and there aren't really any decent stores around that she could walk
to. There is a bus but it costs money. So she relies on others to take her
places. My friend takes her to Drs. appointments. Once a week to Dollar
Tree, once a week to Grocery Outlet, once a week to a store that sells used
things, and occasionally to other places.

I took them both to the Super Walmart which is pretty far from where they
live but I had hoped it would help them both to save money. As it turned
out, neither bought very much because they said they could do better at
Grocery Outlet in terms of prices on what they needed. Well, I tried.
Thankfully the new Winco is closer to where they both live and it is on a
bus route.

One common problem in some of the big cities in this country that I have
read about is availability of products. Often times people who live there
have no vehicle and no money for bus fare. And they likely don't have a
friend or relative with a car. So they can only buy that which they can get
within walking distance. Fresh fruits and vegetables are one thing that was
a problem for many. They were just not available. Many cities are working
to change this. Seattle is planting edible gardens that are free to all.
We'll see how that goes. Also tiny houses complete with heat and
electricity to be rented by the homeless for $90 a month. I am envisioning
that not not go well but we'll see on that too.

Another problem that I read about in a book is our innate desire for new
things. For many people, getting something new makes them feel good. They
cited an example of working women in England in a prior century. They said
that these women didn't make much money at all and would often spend all of
the money on a new hat or scarf or some such thing and then have no money to
buy food. Sure they might be starving but for that one moment, they were
happy.

And yet another problem for some poor people is that they just plain do not
know how to save money. They were likely raised in a house where nobody
saved. And trying to explain the concept to them is futile. Even when I
made very little money, I still saved. Even if I was only able to put aside
a dime per week, I would have a whole dollar in 10 weeks. Now things were
never *that* grim for me but I'm sure it could be for some. Try to explain
this to them and they will chuckle because it is only a dollar. Well, to
me, a dollar is better than no dollar. They just see it as not amounting to
much of anything.

And still another problem in this country is that the truly poor who might
qualify for assistance are not allowed to save. I suppose they might be
able to tuck a few dollars away somewhere but from what I have heard, when
you apply for assistance, they check everything and you can't have much at
all in the way of money or in some cases, possessions. I myself have never
applied for it or needed it. I have just been told this by others.

Gary

Feb 6, 2016, 7:19:33 AM2/6/16
Julie Bove wrote:

> "Jeßus" wrote:
> > Like canned rice?
>
> No. I got that from Walmart. And it is wild rice and not cheap.

Julie, is that precooked? Just heat, drain, and serve?
Have you tried it yet?

Julie Bove

Feb 6, 2016, 7:19:48 AM2/6/16

"Jeßus" <j...@j.invalid> wrote in message
Perhaps because we don't have them here?

Julie Bove

Feb 6, 2016, 7:20:43 AM2/6/16

"Jeßus" <j...@j.invalid> wrote in message
Then I guess we are lucky in that regard.

Dave Smith

Feb 6, 2016, 10:41:09 AM2/6/16
On 2016-02-05 3:50 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Friday, February 5, 2016 at 3:21:21 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>> Do you have those shops 'over there' that sell nothing but very cheap
>> crap at very cheap prices? I'm guessing you do as they're pretty
>> endemic these days. They seem to be very popular here with ppl with
>> limited incomes... particularly those that could be classed as
>> 'bogans' in Australia (these ppl are probably described as trailer
>> trash or rednecks in the U.S). They buy all this useless crap that is
>> lucky to last a week, but never seem to wake up to that fact. All they
>> see are the cheap prices.
>
> You've obviously never been in a situation where you don't know where your next meal is coming from. There are many poor people, especially in the USA, who cannot afford even a few more pennies for better quality. No need to mock them.

I don't question the fact that there are needy people, but there are
some people who are destined to never have anything worthwhile in their
lives because they are more interested in having it now than saving
until they can afford something better. I used to have a friend who was
always overly envious of my wife and I and others who had nicer
furniture than he had. He probably spent a lot more on furniture than
we did because he bought the cheapest crap he could find and it would
end out worn out in a year or two and have to be replaced.

He had a similar envy about us going out to nice restaurants once or
twice a month. He used to go out for drinks after work and usually
stayed there for supper. Once he got a few drinks into him he would
start buying rounds for people. It never seemed to occur to him that he
was spending way more on all those things.

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 6, 2016, 12:41:35 PM2/6/16
On 2/6/2016 10:41 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> He had a similar envy about us going out to nice restaurants once or
> twice a month. He used to go out for drinks after work and usually
> stayed there for supper. Once he got a few drinks into him he would
> start buying rounds for people. It never seemed to occur to him that he
> was spending way more on all those things.

That could rip a big gash in a $100 bill. Last time I went for a drink
after work was in January 2008. And it was someone else that invited a
couple of us and paid. I prefer to go home after work with rare exception.

I also know people that show up at a restaurant early just so that they
can go to the bar for a couple of drinks first. If I'm having wine with
dinner I'll skip the drinks beforehand as I'm usually driving.

Julie Bove

Feb 6, 2016, 1:56:17 PM2/6/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:56B5E48B...@att.net...
Yes and no. But it comes highly rated. I used to buy Shelton's chicken and
wild rice soup. It was very good although there wasn't much broth to it.
They seem to have quit making it.

Julie Bove

Feb 6, 2016, 2:02:25 PM2/6/16

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
I can think of a person who actually said similar to me. That they could
never have anything nice. This person dined out all the time instead of
eating at home and went shopping every single day. In those days people
still used cameras that took film and it seemed that almost every day she
had another roll of film to develop. All pics of her kids. And she told me
that every time you go shopping, you had to go to the toy department and get
something for the kids. Which she did. That something had to be $3 or less
and she also looked in the clothing department to see if anything new was
in. If it was, she bought it.

Once I went to the mall with her and was shocked to see the special order
that she picked up. It was pants, all the same style and one pair in every
color they sold. Weird thing is, this person only ever wore certain colors.
She mostly wore white pants and occasionally sage green. She did wear
skirts in other colors but I never saw her wear pants in other colors. And
every closet in her house was stuffed to the gills with clothing, mostly
with the tags still on.

The reason she couldn't have these nice things, as she put it was that any
time she did get a few dollars, they burned a hole in her pocket and she
couldn't wait to spend them.

Bruce

Feb 6, 2016, 2:06:13 PM2/6/16
On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 04:18:54 -0800, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>It might not help them but they can't afford more. For instance, this very
>situation came up with a friend of a friend awhile back. She is elderly and
>in senior living. She gets food stamps and is on disability. This wasn't
>always the case. She did work for most of her life but she never had any
>high paying jobs so never accrued much savings. She has to watch every
>penny. But she is also in chronic pain. She was telling us how she buys
>certain things at Dollar Tree because they are so much cheaper there. Such
>things as pain patches and various pain relievers.
>
>My friend tried to point out to her that it was probably best not to buy
>those items there. They frequently have segments on the news about what not
>to buy at dollar stores. Now I will say that I think that Dollar Tree is
>different than the types of dollar stores that we used to have here. Those
>types of stores would frequently sell things like maxi pads from China or
>India and you'd see a lot of things with not much English and a lot of
>foreign words.
>
>One suspect thing that comes to mind was Colgate toothpaste. I know that
>was discussed her. People felt it was safe because it was a known brand.
>But what was really being sold was a bogus product. In some cases, these
>products were harmless but they would likely not provide the vitamins or
>pain relief or whatever that they promised. In other cases, such as the
>toothpaste, they were downright dangerous because they were toxic.

(...)

The problem with dollar stores here is that they sell things nobody
needs and cheap Asian lookalikes of things that people do need. For
instance, you can buy a broom there, but it will fall apart when you
use it. Or you can buy cheap batteries, but they'll be empty in no
time. Is that saving money or wasting money? They do sell the
occasional useful item for cheap, but people tend to leave those
stores mainly carrying junk.

--
Bruce

Brooklyn1

Feb 6, 2016, 2:18:09 PM2/6/16
We have Dollar General and The 99¢ Store. Most stuff at Dollar
General costs more than one dollar, but every item at The 99¢ Store
costs 99¢... I shop there for cetain items, I get a very nice desk
calendar for 99¢ each year that most everywhere else sells for $5. I
buy the exact same bird seed suet blocks there for 99¢ that the local
feed and grain charges $1.49. I'll browse the 99¢ store a few times a
year and most times I'll buy a couple of items; they have very nice
small picture frames for like an 8" X 10" photo enlargement, not as
nice as a sterling silver frame from Tiffany but a 99¢ wood frame
works just as well as a $499.00 silver frame.

Brooklyn1

Feb 6, 2016, 2:29:55 PM2/6/16
On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 03:54:00 -0800, "Julie Bove"
The 99¢ store is very good for school supplies, excellent for holiday
decorations, and gift wrapping paper.

Bruce

Feb 6, 2016, 2:37:15 PM2/6/16
3 things I don't need.

--
Bruce

sf

Feb 6, 2016, 3:04:25 PM2/6/16
On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 06:06:01 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

> They do sell the
> occasional useful item for cheap, but people tend to leave those
> stores mainly carrying junk.

I bought a couple pairs of wonderful quality kitchen scissors for only
$1 each. They dulled after maybe 10 years only because I beat them up
by cutting wire from time to time.

--

sf

Cheri

Feb 6, 2016, 3:12:43 PM2/6/16
"sf" wrote in message news:bbkcbblk1qcngo7a8...@4ax.com...
======

Same here, the Betty Crocker kitchen shears are very good.

Cheri

Jeßus

Feb 6, 2016, 3:29:51 PM2/6/16
On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 03:51:25 -0800, "Julie Bove"
I give up.

Brooklyn1

Feb 6, 2016, 5:52:51 PM2/6/16
Sorry you have no grand kids or friends in your life.

Bruce

Feb 6, 2016, 6:30:14 PM2/6/16
On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 17:52:45 -0500, Brooklyn1
That's nice of you.

--
Bruce

Julie Bove

Feb 6, 2016, 6:32:44 PM2/6/16

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
I don't know who posted about the school supplies but that is one thing I
would usually never buy there. Those things are not quality. I might buy a
ruler and I did buy a 2 pack of Pentel pens the other day. $1 is an
excellent price for two of those pens. But most of the other stuff like
pencils, scissors and glue are crap.

Julie Bove

Feb 6, 2016, 6:48:30 PM2/6/16

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
Here, you can get cheap batteries anywhere. I remember the day that several
of us were at my friend's house on Staten Island. She excitedly told us
that she was never going to have to buy batteries again because she got a
lifetime supply at the military commissary for cheap. And in my mind I was
picturing the huge display that I had seen of cheap, loose batteries as I
walked in the door there. I had paid them no mind. Another friend asked
her what kind of batteries they were? And she replied something like, "What
do you mean what kind? Are there different kinds?" Now she was quite a bit
younger than me so perhaps doesn't remember the batteries of my youth.

I presume that the batteries we could get when I was a kid are what now are
sold as cheap, imported batteries. When I was a kid, batteries were sold
individually and loose. They were expensive and had a very short life to
them. For this reason, flashlights were not considered play things and we
didn't have many toys that took batteries.

Then at some point they came out with the long life and Lithium and I think
better still batteries. And the price dropped. If you get them at Costco,
they are cheap!

I guess my friend had no clue that there were different types of batteries.
I found this hard to believe. She was having to change the batteries
constantly in her son's toy because she was buying the cheap ones.

I don't think that Dollar Tree sells full sized brooms. I'm pretty sure
that they do sell little whisk brooms and I'm sure they are fine. I
discovered that they sell the good shelf liner that I had been buying online
for much more money. Only thing is that the pieces that they sell are small
ones. You can get the same dish soap, laundry soap and other cleaning
products there that you can get elsewhere. You just get smaller packages.

I buy plastic baskets and foil pans there. They're just as good as what is
sold elsewhere. I bought dishes there. They're dishes intended for humans
but my cats eat from them. The size is good for them and they are cheaper
than buying pet dishes.

They do have some crap there. I discovered that an oven mitt or maybe it
was a pot holder that I bought there actually melted when it came into
contact with a hot pan. It was one with a seasonal pattern. So I know that
those are best used for decorative purposes only. But I've had no problems
with the washcloths, small towels or kitchen tools that I have bought there.

I suspect if we did have a store here that sold only cheap crap or knock
offs, it wouldn't last for long. I do know that such stores exist in NYC,
particularly knock off purses.

Julie Bove

Feb 6, 2016, 6:49:29 PM2/6/16

"Cheri" <Che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
I didn't get those as I didn't need them but I have several of the Betty
Crocker pieces. I bought them because they are red but I love them.

jmcquown

Feb 6, 2016, 7:01:04 PM2/6/16
I hear ya. I understand what Jebus is talking about when he mentions
people buying junk at dollar stores. I buy things I *need* from the
dollar store. I don't waste my money on tchotchkes, seasonal decorated
paper plates or napkins. There are always a couple of aisles of
dedicated to that sort of thing. Apparently some people think "ooh,
look! It's only a dollar! I must buy it!"

If I needed a pair of scissors the dollar store would be the first place
I'd look.

Jill

jmcquown

Feb 6, 2016, 7:25:36 PM2/6/16
You should never have started. LOL I think you're talking about a
useless thing someone hangs on the wall and it starts wiggling and
playing country-western music when you walk by.

That's the kind of useless decorative (often "seasonal" crap stuff they
sell in those types of stores.

I do save a lot of money buying name brand toilet paper at Family
Dollar. Why should I pay $12 for a twelve pack when I can by the same
thing for half price? (retorical question)

Jill

Cheryl

Feb 6, 2016, 8:07:12 PM2/6/16
On 2/5/2016 3:47 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> He might also consider a universal lid or one of the silicone ones if he
> doesn't need a tight seal. I use my silicone things for almost
> everything now if I need a lid.

Thanks Julie! I've never heard of those silicone universal lids so after
looking at some just now, it looks just like something I need. I don't
like having to have a separate lid for every pot or pan.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

Julie Bove

Feb 6, 2016, 8:12:13 PM2/6/16

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
If you are referring to this, then it was never sold at dollar stores. I
know. I bought one. Angela wanted to give it to her dad as a gift. He
didn't really appreciate it but she and her other two year old friends
thought it was funny. I believe that it sold for around $20 and we got it
at Long's drugs.

Cheri

Feb 6, 2016, 8:35:19 PM2/6/16
"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:n960kp$7jh$1...@dont-email.me...
==========

Yes, either red or blue in our store. I see the same BC products at other stores
for about three times the price. There is a lot of junk too, but for many
things, good buys. The Dollar Tree here is about a block from me, so I do go
there often and find some useful things. Their greeting card selection is
outstanding.

Cheri

Nunya Bidnits

Feb 6, 2016, 8:37:59 PM2/6/16

"jmcquown" wrote in message news:n962o8$dhe$1...@dont-email.me...

>You should never have started. LOL I think you're talking
>about a useless thing someone hangs on the wall and it starts
>wiggling and playing country-western music when you walk by.

http://is.gd/1wY9qp

sf

Feb 6, 2016, 8:48:26 PM2/6/16
On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 19:00:55 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
HA! Me too. If I was catholic and knew how to use them properly, the
other thing I'd look there first to buy are those candles with saints
on the glass. They'd also be good backup for people with iffy power.

--

sf

S Viemeister

Feb 6, 2016, 8:57:20 PM2/6/16
They're very on bowls, too.
And I have small ones, to cover my tea/coffee cup - helps to keep it warm.

Cheri

Feb 6, 2016, 8:59:23 PM2/6/16
"sf" wrote in message news:pd8dbbtap5sek2jr2...@4ax.com...
==========
Where I am the .99 cent store has a huge selection of those candles, the Dollar
Tree not so much the religious but a huge selection of scented candles and the
like.

Cheri

Sky

Feb 6, 2016, 10:47:45 PM2/6/16
On 2/5/2016 9:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in
> message news:n93a0e$gnu$1...@martybkc.dont-email.me...
>>

>> "Dave Smith" wrote in message news:nW9ty.275160$Xk5.1...@fx17.iad...
>>
>>> As for sandals, I have a fondness for Birkenstocks.
>>
>> The three main methods of birth control:
>> Pills
>> Condoms
>> Birkenstocks
>
> Birkenstocks were popular here for a time. Thankfully not any more.

Isn't it wonderful to know bove is such an 'expert' when it comes to
everyone's shoe fashions and more! After all, bove speaks for everyone
in the 'globe' in addition to those in the universe of bothell!

Sky, who owns and wears a few pair of "birkies"!

--

================================
Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!

Brooklyn1

Feb 6, 2016, 10:48:35 PM2/6/16
I have no use for kitchen shears and have never owned any, kitchen
shears are for those with no cutlery skills.

Bruce

Feb 6, 2016, 10:52:21 PM2/6/16
On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 21:47:40 -0600, Sky <skyh...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2/5/2016 9:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in
>> message news:n93a0e$gnu$1...@martybkc.dont-email.me...

>>> The three main methods of birth control:
>>> Pills
>>> Condoms
>>> Birkenstocks
>>
>> Birkenstocks were popular here for a time. Thankfully not any more.
>
>Isn't it wonderful to know bove is such an 'expert' when it comes to
>everyone's shoe fashions and more! After all, bove speaks for everyone
>in the 'globe' in addition to those in the universe of bothell!
>
>Sky, who owns and wears a few pair of "birkies"!

lol

--
Bruce

Jeßus

Feb 6, 2016, 10:54:19 PM2/6/16
I use mine to cut culinary string. Is that okay by you?
It is loading more messages.