Best Foods Organic Mayonaise

notbob

Oct 24, 2016, 3:46:37 PM10/24/16
I finally found some. It's about $7 fer 24 ozs.

Despite all ingredients listed as "organic", the oil jes sez organic
"EXPELLER-PRESSED" soy bean oil. Anywho, it's definitely different
tasting from their regular Hellman's/BestFood mayo. I kinda recognize
the flavor, but don't really like it. Not sure if it's genuine
"old-timey" flavor or it's jes weird. I should probably make some
mayo from scratch (never have) to compare 'em, as I'm never buying
Best Foods Organic ever again. Bleah! 8|

Any suggestions?

nb

notbob

Oct 24, 2016, 4:05:47 PM10/24/16
On 2016-10-24, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

> I finally found some. It's about $7 fer 24 ozs.

Should I try Duke's Mayonnaise?

Since I live a stone's throw from the heart of the CO Rockies, we get
both Hellman's AND Best Foods branded mayos.

Our local WW even carries Duke's. I was gonna try some, but Duke's
shows it has a buncha preservatives in it. Should I still give it a
go?

(shopping tomorrow)

nb

The Cook

Oct 24, 2016, 4:34:38 PM10/24/16
Make your own. It is not magic.

Mayonnaise

1 whole egg, room temperature
2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup oil

Put into straight sided jar.
Put stick blender all the way in without turning on.
Turn the blender on and rocking it slowly from side to side, pull it
up to the top.
It should emulsify in 6 to 7 seconds as you pull it up.

Yield: 1 cup
BTW
We have been using Duke's mayonnaise for years. Maybe that is what is
keeping us alive.
--
Susan N.

cshenk

Oct 24, 2016, 4:39:54 PM10/24/16
notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
No harm if curious. What it has is a little more 'tang' (but less than
Japanese Kewpie has).

notbob

Oct 24, 2016, 4:51:52 PM10/24/16
On 2016-10-24, cshenk <csh...@cox.net> wrote:

> No harm if curious. What it has is a little more 'tang' (but less than
> Japanese Kewpie has).

Yes. According to their website, Duke's contains no sugar
(allegedly), so is more tart than regular Hellman's or Kraft mayo.

Never tasted Kewpie mayo. You can imagine why:

http://thewondrous.com/the-30-worst-brand-names-ever/

They missed Calpis. ;)

nb

ImStillMags

Oct 24, 2016, 5:56:14 PM10/24/16

cshenk

Oct 24, 2016, 7:01:11 PM10/24/16
notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
LOL! Probably missed Pocari Sweat too! Calpis is great stuff! I got 3
bottles at the local store that imports from Sasebo Japan.

I gota check out the Cock Sauce. I think they sell it at the local
American Asian...

Carol

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 24, 2016, 7:43:43 PM10/24/16
On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 3:05:47 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

> Should I try Duke's Mayonnaise?
>
> Since I live a stone's throw from the heart of the CO Rockies, we get
> both Hellman's AND Best Foods branded mayos.
>
> Our local WW even carries Duke's. I was gonna try some, but Duke's
> shows it has a buncha preservatives in it. Should I still give it a
> go?
>
> (shopping tomorrow)
>
> nb

I tried Duke's a few years ago based on the recommendations
here. I was NOT impressed; somewhat flat tasting to me.
I have a jar of Blue Plate but have not opened it yet as I
have a 3/4 jar of Kraft residing in the 'fridge now. Supposedly
Blue Plate is only available in the South.

William

Oct 24, 2016, 7:49:16 PM10/24/16
On 24 Oct 2016 20:05:43 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

it's very good notbob. I was raised eating Dukes...sometimes I stray
to Hellmans. They both have their different taste characteristics and
they are both very tasty. I like to get two slices of bread slathered
with mayonaise, pile on slices of tomato until I have about an inch
thick layer then put the lid on, squeeze it together and devour it
over the kitchen sink with juice running out of it. Oh I forgot the
salt and freshly ground pepper.

William

Brooklyn1

Oct 24, 2016, 11:20:55 PM10/24/16
On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 15:59:28 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On 24 Oct 2016 19:46:31 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> I finally found some. It's about $7 fer 24 ozs.
>
>Those "organic" labels sure are making a killing off of gullible
>people. That more than 3x what I pay for mayonnaise.
>
>Organic ingredients don't cost 3X that of conventional. Especially
>when it comes to lemon juice and oil. Stop being so gullible!
>
>-sw

Not organic, no such thing as organic foods, not unless produced in a
Clean Room Laboratory.

notbob

Oct 25, 2016, 9:45:38 AM10/25/16

jmcquown

Oct 25, 2016, 10:17:37 AM10/25/16
On 10/25/2016 12:12 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 23:20:47 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Not organic, no such thing as organic foods, not unless produced in a
>> Clean Room Laboratory.
>
> You're obviously confusing "organic" with "sterile". Or you just
> plain don't know the definition of "organic".
>
> -sw

Does anyone know the definition of "organic"? ;) Seems to me companies
can slap that label on just about anything and charge [at least] twice
as much for it.

Jill

graham

Oct 25, 2016, 10:23:55 AM10/25/16
2,4-D is organic:-)

Brooklyn1

Oct 25, 2016, 12:10:45 PM10/25/16
Sqwertz <compost> wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Not organic, no such thing as organic foods, not unless produced in a
>> Clean Room Laboratory.
>
>You're obviously confusing "organic" with "sterile". Or you just
>plain don't know the definition of "organic".

You're who doesn't know... organic means produced in majorly
controlled envionments devoid as much as possible of chemferts, has
not a whit to do with sterile... certain microbes/insects are
absolutely manditory for raising crops. Anyone who believes the
perfectly unblemished organic produce they pay near double for is even
close to chemical free has a brain the size of a lentil.

William

Oct 25, 2016, 12:36:21 PM10/25/16
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 08:23:53 -0600, graham <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>2,4-D is organic:-)
it also defoliates the jungle in Vietnam and appears as "Roundup" to
destroy lawn growth...by the way, if you eat it and drink it you will
soon be eradicated too!

William

graham

Oct 25, 2016, 12:43:34 PM10/25/16
It's not "Roundup", which is glyphosate.

notbob

Oct 25, 2016, 12:52:22 PM10/25/16
On 2016-10-25, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know the definition of "organic"? ;) Seems to me companies
> can slap that label on just about anything and charge [at least] twice
> as much for it.

The term "organic" can only be used by growers that do not use "toxic"
chemicals or do not grow GMO produce. In fact, GMOs are not even
supposed to in the food chain. IOW, no GMOs used to feed organic
animals.

Now, there are catches. The USDA licenses other agencies (usually
non-govt-organizations (NGOs)) to certify a food as organic. Since
those other agenies get a fee for certifying a food, those agencies
are more likely to get repeat business if they DO certify. So, how
honest are those NGOs?

My friends and I buy/eat as much organic food we can find. Often it
IS as scam. Our CityMarket (Kroger) sells an organic grass fed burger
meat that is absolutely inedible. I've complained and will not buy
it. OTOH, Kroger's organic parsely is the best I've ever tasted.

Like anything else, you gotta be smarter than _____________ (fill in
blank). ;)

nb

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 25, 2016, 1:05:21 PM10/25/16
On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 10:17:37 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 10/25/2016 12:12 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 23:20:47 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> >> Not organic, no such thing as organic foods, not unless produced in a
> >> Clean Room Laboratory.
> >
> > You're obviously confusing "organic" with "sterile". Or you just
> > plain don't know the definition of "organic".
> >
> > -sw
> >
> Does anyone know the definition of "organic"? ;)

<http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=organic-agriculture>

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Oct 25, 2016, 7:08:11 PM10/25/16
In article <nunph7$80p$1...@dont-email.me>, jmcquown says...
I've said it before but nothing escapes you. Mind boggling stuff.

Bruce

Oct 25, 2016, 7:09:52 PM10/25/16
In article <d32v0ctln7sdfhjbo...@4ax.com>, William says...
But I thought the population of the US was growing.

Bruce

Oct 25, 2016, 7:14:05 PM10/25/16
In article <e79gu1...@mid.individual.net>, notbob says...
Congratulations on a reasonable post about organic food. A rare sight in
the conservative fuddy duddy environment that is rfc.