Raspberry cobbler

Lenona

Sep 19, 2023, 11:14:44 AM9/19/23
I decided to try the trick of adding a little baking soda to the berries. (That is supposed to lower the need for sugar by half - by neutralizing the acid content.)

But, since the recipe is actually for blueberry cobbler, I cut the sugar only by 1/3, since raspberries are not as sweet - often.

Anyway, it seemed to work, more or less.

The following is the ORIGINAL recipe, from Rita van Amber's Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, page 228:

Mix:

1.5 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt (I used less)

Add:

2 quarts blueberries
3 Tbs. lemon juice

"Pour into greased 9 x 13" pan. Dot with 3 Tbs. butter. Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes or till hot and bubbly.

"Combine:

2 cups flour
4 tsps. baking powder
2 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup powdered milk

"Cut in 1/2 cup shortening.
"Stir in with fork:

2/3 cup water
1 beaten egg

(I measured 1/2 cup of water and filled it up with the shortening, then removed the latter, added the egg to the water and beat it, poured it into the batter, and then used the 1/6 cup of water to rinse out the measuring cup and added that to the batter.)

"Drop into hot berries making 12 biscuits. Bake 20 minutes till browned. Serve warm with cream or ice cream."

jmcquown

Sep 19, 2023, 11:27:06 AM9/19/23
This sounds simply wonderful! Many thanks for sharing ;)

Lenona

Sep 19, 2023, 11:32:24 AM9/19/23

> This sounds simply wonderful! Many thanks for sharing ;)

You're welcome.

Michael Trew

Sep 19, 2023, 12:21:28 PM9/19/23
On 9/19/2023 11:14 AM, Lenona wrote:
> I decided to try the trick of adding a little baking soda to the
> berries. (That is supposed to lower the need for sugar by half - by
> neutralizing the acid content.)
>
> But, since the recipe is actually for blueberry cobbler, I cut the
> sugar only by 1/3, since raspberries are not as sweet - often.
>
> Anyway, it seemed to work, more or less.
>
> The following is the ORIGINAL recipe, from Rita van Amber's Stories
> and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, page 228:
>
> Mix: 1.5 cups sugar 1/2 cup flour 1 tsp. salt (I used less)
>
> Add: 2 quarts blueberries 3 Tbs. lemon juice

So you used 3/4 cup sugar with a tbsp or so baking soda? I can't say
that I've heard of using baking soda to reduce the sugar. That's
interesting.

Lenona

Sep 19, 2023, 12:43:43 PM9/19/23
Um, no. As I said above, I reduced it only by 1/3 of the total - so I used one cup of sugar.

And I HAVE mentioned the trick here, beforehand.

It was only one TEASPOON, btw.

From 2021:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.food.cooking/c/bh2vvoHuayE/m/k977oDd3DAAJ

I also mentioned the trick this August, in the "sugar cartel" thread.

dsi1

Sep 19, 2023, 1:36:32 PM9/19/23
I used to add baking soda to orange juice. It might have lowered the pH because of the carbon dioxide created. I suppose the acidity would be lowered once the CO2 outgassed. I added the baking soda to give it some carbonation.

Bruce

Sep 19, 2023, 4:05:47 PM9/19/23
I was going to say that this sounds way too positive for Jill, but of
course it's not Jill :)

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

bruce bowser

Sep 20, 2023, 2:32:19 PM9/20/23
There is a 99 liqueur called Blue Raspberry, but its easy to confuse it with Blueberry.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 20, 2023, 4:45:10 PM9/20/23
On Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 10:14:44 AM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:
> I decided to try the trick of adding a little baking soda to the berries. (That is supposed to lower the need for sugar by half - by neutralizing the acid content.)
>
> But, since the recipe is actually for blueberry cobbler, I cut the sugar only by 1/3, since raspberries are not as sweet - often.
>
> Anyway, it seemed to work, more or less.
>
> The following is the ORIGINAL recipe, from Rita van Amber's Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930s, page 228:
>
> Mix:
>
> 1.5 cups sugar
> 1/2 cup flour
> 1 tsp. salt (I used less)
>
> Add:
>
> 2 quarts blueberries
> 3 Tbs. lemon juice

You are astoundingly stupid. You add baking soda to
cut the acidity of the blueberries, then add lemon juice.
You should have been sterilized at puberty.

--Bryan

GM

Sep 20, 2023, 5:51:52 PM9/20/23
Lol, Bryan...

Between Lenona, "songbird", and cshenkie it's "The RFC Pinhead Imbecile Trifecta"...

Between them, they lack even *half* of a somewhat functioning brain cell...

--
GM

Lenona

Sep 20, 2023, 5:58:33 PM9/20/23
> You are astoundingly stupid. You add baking soda to
> cut the acidity of the blueberries, then add lemon juice.

How can YOU be unaware (even if you aren't really Bryan) that lemon juice is commonly used in fruit desserts - in part for the flavor?

I'm sure the author of the tip was well aware of that too.

Or at least Amy was, which is likely why she greatly increased the amount of baking soda.

bruce bowser

Sep 20, 2023, 6:11:02 PM9/20/23
You're just mad that we all know YOU are the troll.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 21, 2023, 7:24:50 AM9/21/23
I don't think that songbird is an imbecile. He seems
to be quite the gardener. He is just a really shitty
cook. Total TIAD.

> --
> GM

--Bryan

bruce bowser

Sep 24, 2023, 2:09:33 PM9/24/23
I saw where baking soda was used to add to beef slices in Chinese food. Beef and broccoli in particular.

dsi1

Sep 24, 2023, 6:49:53 PM9/24/23
I have done that before. I stopped because it turns the meat into a spongy, puffed up, thing that no longer resembles meat. OTOH, I'll treat my meat this way just to freak out the family. I have beef and I have broccoli.
My brother picked up a can of that most ubiquitous of Chinese ingredients, chicken powder from Chinatown yesterday so I can use that. This stuff would make certain sensitive rfc persons just shit and then drop dead.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aMdvtVpewAuxJrQQ7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6aXTV6snCTgq9Hgr7

bruce bowser

Sep 25, 2023, 7:53:44 AM9/25/23
All sorts of fruits and many veggies will soften beef up and have that effect.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 25, 2023, 8:08:12 AM9/25/23
Chicken powder is the 4th ingredient on the list. Typical
Knorr shittiness. *This* is chicken powder.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1250410257/usa-chicken-breast-powder-one-pound-bag

--Bryan

bruce bowser

Sep 25, 2023, 12:51:37 PM9/25/23
S'il vous plaît? You still have to cook it with the traditionals like a bay leaf and parsley or thyme, white wine, onions, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, or seasonings like garlic, right Monsieur le chef? Aren't you supposed to be the executive chef over at the Waldorf or Barclay International Hotel? Shouldn't you know this stuff by now?

dsi1

Sep 25, 2023, 1:14:25 PM9/25/23
That's chicken powder for you. It's just tough nuts if it doesn't live up to your socio-economic pretensions.

https://www.epicurious.com/shopping/chicken-powder-is-your-quick-ticket-to-pure-complex-chicken-flavor

Bruce

Sep 25, 2023, 2:37:35 PM9/25/23
There's no reason to get all snobby. It's tortured factory chicken.
The advantage of turning it into powder is that you don't have to cut
out the ammonia sores. Less work, more weight, more $$$. And no
ingredient list, a buyer says. Hahaha.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

bruce bowser

Sep 25, 2023, 3:36:16 PM9/25/23
On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 2:37:35 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 05:08:08 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 5:49:53 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> >> I have done that before. I stopped because it turns the meat into a spongy, puffed up, thing that no longer resembles meat. OTOH, I'll treat my meat this way just to freak out the family. I have beef and I have broccoli.
> >> My brother picked up a can of that most ubiquitous of Chinese ingredients, chicken powder from Chinatown yesterday so I can use that. This stuff would make certain sensitive rfc persons just shit and then drop dead.
> >>
> >> https://photos.app.goo.gl/aMdvtVpewAuxJrQQ7
> >>
> >> https://photos.app.goo.gl/6aXTV6snCTgq9Hgr7
> >>
> >Chicken powder is the 4th ingredient on the list. Typical
> >Knorr shittiness. *This* is chicken powder.
> >https://www.etsy.com/listing/1250410257/usa-chicken-breast-powder-one-pound-bag
> >
> There's no reason to get all snobby.

As a professional chef, you better get as snobby as they want.

Bruce

Sep 25, 2023, 3:43:28 PM9/25/23

bruce bowser

Sep 25, 2023, 4:43:02 PM9/25/23
I'm not Bryan, so how would I know?

Bruce

Sep 25, 2023, 4:45:17 PM9/25/23
He's a retired shelf filler at Target.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

cshenk

Sep 25, 2023, 5:15:05 PM9/25/23
I've used that brand of 'chicken broth' as well as others.

dsi1

Oct 15, 2023, 3:09:22 PM10/15/23
My brother likes to watch cooking shows although he doesn't cook. There's a show that highlights midwestern cooking called "Girl Meets Farm." It's kind of goofy cooking. The girl seems to use a lot of cream cheese in her cooking. I was surprised that she used chicken powder in her chicken pot pie. Can it be that chicken powder is going mainstream? My brother happened to mention that the girl is half Chinese. Well, there you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgbUJCOnXTU