Canned wild rice

Julie Bove

Feb 10, 2016, 6:23:54 AM2/10/16
I finally had a reason to try it. Have been not feeling well on and off for
days and really didn't feel up to cooking just now but wanted soup. So I
used this to make a chicken soup and yes, I used canned chicken as well.
And the end result? Just exactly like it comes out when I cook the rice
myself. I am happy!

Gary

Feb 10, 2016, 7:58:54 AM2/10/16
This is good news, Julie. You bought a case based on good reviews.
Good that you tried one before you might depend on it. Now you know
it's a good thing. :)

col...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2016, 9:45:19 AM2/10/16
I like canned spanish rice.

Paul M. Cook

Feb 10, 2016, 12:11:29 PM2/10/16

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
You posted last week you made soup with canned wild rice. And you raved
about the aroma.

Good on you. Soup is good food, according to Campbell's Soup Company.

Hopefully you will not discover a heretofore unknown near fatal allergy to
wild rice and the subsequent drama.

---

Paul M. Cook

Feb 10, 2016, 12:13:36 PM2/10/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:56BB33C0...@att.net...
And good on her for actually eating something. Here comes the choo choo -
whoo whoo! There's a good girl!

Janet B

Feb 10, 2016, 12:42:10 PM2/10/16
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 09:34:36 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:
>It's still that nasty cultured wild rice. True wild rice is so much
>better than those skinny black mouse turds.
>
>http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/
>
>-sw

"Cultured Wild Rice?" I wasn't able to find a good reference for
this. I see there are farmers? who intentionally grow wild rice in
swamp land they have developed. I don't think that's what you mean?
I'm hung up on the term cultured (like cultured pearls) vs.
cultivated. Explain more please.
Janet US

Janet B

Feb 10, 2016, 3:14:47 PM2/10/16
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:50:08 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:
>Yeah, I meant cultivated. Not cultured. It's the black hulled stuff
>that is selectively bred and planted rather than true wild rice like
>that I pictured above.
>
>They sell both the cultivated and the truly wild stuff (the wild stuff
>being $2/lb more):
>
>http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/store/index.php?cPath=21
>
>-sw
I don't think I have ever had the all tan, really wild stuff. I may
have had a mixture years ago. Now all I see is the all black skinny
stuff.
Janet US

Dave Smith

Feb 10, 2016, 3:47:22 PM2/10/16
On 2016-02-10 12:11 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message

> Good on you. Soup is good food, according to Campbell's Soup Company.
>
> Hopefully you will not discover a heretofore unknown near fatal allergy to
> wild rice and the subsequent drama.

We can only hope that we live to hear the details.

Julie Bove

Feb 10, 2016, 3:55:02 PM2/10/16

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 07:57:36 -0500, Gary wrote:
>
> It's still that nasty cultured wild rice. True wild rice is so much
> better than those skinny black mouse turds.
>
> http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/
>
> -sw

How is it better?

Julie Bove

Feb 10, 2016, 3:56:24 PM2/10/16

"Janet B" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
Me too and even then I have to mail order it. It's hard to find in the
stores here and when I do find it, it's very expensive. Can get it cheaper
online.

Julie Bove

Feb 10, 2016, 3:56:51 PM2/10/16

"Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> wrote in message

> "Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I finally had a reason to try it. Have been not feeling well on and off
>>> for
>>> days and really didn't feel up to cooking just now but wanted soup. So
>>> used this to make a chicken soup and yes, I used canned chicken as well.
>>> And the end result? Just exactly like it comes out when I cook the rice
>>> myself. I am happy!
>>
>> This is good news, Julie. You bought a case based on good reviews.
>> Good that you tried one before you might depend on it. Now you know
>> it's a good thing. :)
>
> And good on her for actually eating something. Here comes the choo choo -
> whoo whoo! There's a good girl!

Go blow a whale Paul.

Julie Bove

Feb 10, 2016, 3:57:37 PM2/10/16

<col...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I like canned spanish rice.

I bought some many years ago that was good. Can't remember the brand or
where I was living when I bought it. But the only kind I can find now in a
can isn't good.

Julie Bove

Feb 10, 2016, 3:59:00 PM2/10/16

> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
>>I finally had a reason to try it. Have been not feeling well on and off
>>for days and really didn't feel up to cooking just now but wanted soup.
>>So I used this to make a chicken soup and yes, I used canned chicken as
>>well. And the end result? Just exactly like it comes out when I cook the
>>rice myself. I am happy!
>
> You posted last week you made soup with canned wild rice. And you raved
> about the aroma.

No. I said that I made wild rice soup and mentioned that I had bought
canned but hadn't tried it yet.

> Good on you. Soup is good food, according to Campbell's Soup Company.
>
> Hopefully you will not discover a heretofore unknown near fatal allergy to
> wild rice and the subsequent drama.

Thankfully I have no near fatal allergies of any kind. What I have are food
intolerances and they can change. I expect them to after having my thyroid
out.

Paul M. Cook

Feb 10, 2016, 4:51:13 PM2/10/16

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
I'd get an epi pen just in case.

jmcquown

Feb 10, 2016, 5:55:41 PM2/10/16
On 2/10/2016 3:54 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> It's still that nasty cultured wild rice. True wild rice is so much
>> better than those skinny black mouse turds.
>>
>> http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/
>>
>> -sw
>
> How is it better?

It's hand-harvested wild grass seeds, grows wild in lakes and ponds in
the Northern US and Canada.

IMHO it tastes better and has a really nice nutty texture. I doubt
you'd appreciate the difference.

Jill

cshenk

Feb 10, 2016, 6:59:27 PM2/10/16
Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
I have never noticed canned rice. Could be they don't sell it here. I
*do* recall a rather nice small can at HEB in San Antonio Texas that
was a premade 'spanish rice' seasonings. You added it to cooked rice.

Fortunately for me I have a rice machine (small unit) so even if I
don't feel like cooking, that one is easy. If I'm really lazy, I ask
my daughter to make it (grin).

Julie Bove

Feb 10, 2016, 11:08:51 PM2/10/16

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Julie Bove

Feb 10, 2016, 11:10:15 PM2/10/16

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Oops. Sent blank reply. I think I may have had some in the past. I do
remember getting some brown stuff but can't remember where I got it. I also
remember tossing out half of the packet because it just didn't have much
flavor. As for food textures, I am big into that.

Julie Bove

Feb 10, 2016, 11:12:25 PM2/10/16

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
I most likely bought it at the military commissary and as I'm sure you know,
they often sell things that you can't get elsewhere. But how can you do
Spanish rice in a rice machine? How would you brown it?

Julie Bove

Feb 10, 2016, 11:14:40 PM2/10/16

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:58:54 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Thankfully I have no near fatal allergies of any kind. What I have are
>> food
>> intolerances and they can change. I expect them to after having my
>> thyroid
>> out.
>
> Of course there is absolutely zero credible medical precedence for
> developing food intolerances or allerfies after a thyroidectomy, but
> you just KNOW it will happen. You will MAKE it happen or die trying.

Not developing. But food intolerances can and do change.

I did have some sort of allergic reaction that landed me in the ER but we
don't know what caused it. My Endo. did say that it was likely because of
my thyroid. When your thyroid isn't functioning properly, it affects the
entire body.

Julie Bove

Feb 11, 2016, 5:27:22 AM2/11/16

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:14:33 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

>>> Of course there is absolutely zero credible medical precedence for
>>> developing food intolerances or allerfies after a thyroidectomy, but
>>> you just KNOW it will happen. You will MAKE it happen or die trying.
>>
>> Not developing. But food intolerances can and do change.
>
> They can develop over long periods of time, and they'll usually stay.
> They don't flip flop back and forth depending on your latest hair
> follicle tests.

Actually they can. That is why some people have to do the rotation diet.

Roy

Feb 11, 2016, 12:01:44 PM2/11/16
On Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 3:27:22 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:14:33 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

> >> Not developing. But food intolerances can and do change.
> >
> > They can develop over long periods of time, and they'll usually stay.
> > They don't flip flop back and forth depending on your latest hair
> > follicle tests.
>
> Actually they can. That is why some people have to do the rotation diet.

But "those" people believe all of the BS those QUACKS on those QUACK sites put out for the vulnerable hypochondriacs who need a new food fad fix to juice up their dull, unrewarding lives.
Poor pathetic souls.
=====

Julie Bove

Feb 11, 2016, 8:20:10 PM2/11/16

"Roy" <wil...@outlook.com> wrote in message
My Endo. isn't a quack.

cshenk

Feb 11, 2016, 8:38:23 PM2/11/16
Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Don't be too suprised if the taste of brown doesnt appeal. Some love
it (I like it for a variation) but some dislike it (Don and Charlotte).
It's specifically the nutty flavor they feel off putting in a rice.

The texture of brown didnt appeal to me that much but then I am so used
to medium grain sticky, that singlit grain types do not appeal to me.

cshenk

Feb 11, 2016, 8:51:45 PM2/11/16
Smile, you make the rice then brown it if that particular recipe calls
for browning at all. Fact is there are so many varieties of 'spanish
or mexican rice' that it's very possible you are used to making it
almost rice-a-roni ish where you brown the rice in butter then add the
water and seasonings?

Others use fresh cooked rice which is then lightly stir fried in butter
and olive oil then added spices and tomatoes are added.

A simple sort that is soft and works well is to make a batch of rice
(you'd want about 3 cups yield at least) then add Ro-Tel (or a store
knock off) and heat then serve. Some heat the ro-tel separate in the
microwave then use it to top the rice. While not haute cuisine, it's
simple and fast and in your house may be more effective since people
could chose to top the rice with that or something else.

jmcquown

Feb 11, 2016, 8:53:00 PM2/11/16
On 2/11/2016 8:38 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Don't be too suprised if the taste of brown doesnt appeal. Some love
> it (I like it for a variation) but some dislike it (Don and Charlotte).
> It's specifically the nutty flavor they feel off putting in a rice.

Don't forget, wild rice is *not* rice. It's grass seed. I love it but
I don't want to eat it all the time. Definitely not enough to think
about buying a case of canned wild rice.

Jill

cshenk

Feb 11, 2016, 8:58:47 PM2/11/16
Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:58:54 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > > Thankfully I have no near fatal allergies of any kind. What I
> > > have are food intolerances and they can change. I expect them
> > > to after having my thyroid out.
> >
> > Of course there is absolutely zero credible medical precedence for
> > developing food intolerances or allerfies after a thyroidectomy, but
> > you just KNOW it will happen. You will MAKE it happen or die
> > trying.
>
> Not developing. But food intolerances can and do change.

This is true. I dealt with it with an elderly rescue dog with all
sorts of allergies. While some things she was solidly allergic to all
the time (wheat, corn), others would come and go. Basically we solved
it at last by realizing we had to swap the food types about so if she
had chicken for 3 days, she got something fish based the next 3 days
then rotated to beef after that and so on.

We had to give her a rest on various things for a bit then she was fine
with it again. Sounds similar to some of your eating needs.

cshenk

Feb 11, 2016, 9:04:49 PM2/11/16
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:14:33 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

> have are >>> food
> my >>> thyroid
> > >
> >> Of course there is absolutely zero credible medical precedence for
> >> developing food intolerances or allerfies after a thyroidectomy,
> but >> you just KNOW it will happen. You will MAKE it happen or die
> trying.
> >
> > Not developing. But food intolerances can and do change.
>
> They can develop over long periods of time, and they'll usually stay.
> They don't flip flop back and forth depending on your latest hair
> follicle tests.
>
> -sw

Actually they can if it's a developing intolerance, not a full blown
allergy.

cshenk

Feb 11, 2016, 9:07:36 PM2/11/16
Roy wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Roy, my elderly dog with this issue didnt know anything about diets,
hypochondria or anything like that. She just didnt feel well unless we
rotated the diet but she'd have happily eaten the same thing every meal
for the rest of her life and ignore the itches and ear infections (dog
syndrome to an intolerance or developing allergy).

Janet B

Feb 11, 2016, 10:30:21 PM2/11/16
This is different. This isn't rice as you are thinking. Although
called rice it is a grass and is much different than traditional rice.
Janet US

Janet B

Feb 11, 2016, 10:50:12 PM2/11/16
The dish is a pilaf and is thousands of years old. Pilaf exists every
where in the world and is made according to local traditions Generally
the basics are rice is 'browned' in a fat, cooked in a broth and
meats/vegetables are added. Rice a Roni, a rice and pasta dish is
still a pilaf.
Janet US

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 12:44:31 AM2/12/16
jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2/11/2016 8:38 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Don't be too suprised if the taste of brown doesnt appeal. Some
> > love it (I like it for a variation) but some dislike it (Don and
> > Charlotte). It's specifically the nutty flavor they feel off
> > putting in a rice.
>
> Don't forget, wild rice is not rice. It's grass seed. I love it but
> I don't want to eat it all the time. Definitely not enough to think
> about buying a case of canned wild rice.
>
> Jill

I didnt. I speifically was talking Brown rice. Julie shifted to
address brown rice.

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 12:47:33 AM2/12/16
Janet B wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 19:51:40 -0600, "cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >

> >> "cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message

> kind >> > > I can find now in a can isn't good.

Hi Janet, not all 'spanish rice' types are a pilaf. Julies might be,
mine isnt.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 6:43:21 AM2/12/16

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
That makes no sense. The rice should be browned before cooking for Spanish
rice. And I don't use butter but olive oil. But yes, that is how it should
be done.

> Others use fresh cooked rice which is then lightly stir fried in butter
> and olive oil then added spices and tomatoes are added.

Have never ever seen such a recipe. Never.

> A simple sort that is soft and works well is to make a batch of rice
> (you'd want about 3 cups yield at least) then add Ro-Tel (or a store
> knock off) and heat then serve. Some heat the ro-tel separate in the
> microwave then use it to top the rice. While not haute cuisine, it's
> simple and fast and in your house may be more effective since people
> could chose to top the rice with that or something else.

No thanks. That is not how I make it at all. Actually I don't make it at
all now since I was the only one who really liked it. And I can't have rice
now. For me, Spanish rice has meat in it and is a meal. Mexican rice
shouldn't have any chunks of stuff in it. Unless of course you are doing
something like cilantro lime rice.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 6:45:42 AM2/12/16

"Janet B" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
Not according to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilaf

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 6:46:16 AM2/12/16

> But the rotation diet IS a quack.

No.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 6:47:31 AM2/12/16

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
It would seem that a lot of people who don't suffer from this, think it just
doesn't really exist.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 6:48:43 AM2/12/16

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
I assume you are referring to brown wild rice?

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 6:49:36 AM2/12/16

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
A case isn't all that much. 12 cans, I think. And it will keep for a while.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 6:50:41 AM2/12/16

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
Nonsense. We were talking about wild rice. I can't eat regular rice so I
now eat wild rice. What I bought was the black, cultivated and some here
told me that the brown *wild* rice is better tasting.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 6:53:52 AM2/12/16

"Janet B" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
Yes. I am very familiar with it because as I said, I used to buy the
Sheltons brand chicken and wild rice soup. It was actually very good but it
didn't have much broth in it so to me, it was a stretch to call it soup. At
that point in time, it was one of the few gluten free and dairy free canned
soups I could buy. There are plenty more on the market now as there is a
big demand for them. Sadly, Sheltons quit making it.

I happen to like wild rice and once in a while if my husband is hungry
enough, he will eat a casserole made with it, provided that I add enough
meat and veggies so that he doesn't notice the wild rice. Otherwise, he
doesn't like it.

Janet B

Feb 12, 2016, 11:10:48 AM2/12/16
It is the style of the dish as opposed to cooking the rice in water
and eating plain or cooking the rice and then adding to other
ingredients to the rice. The rice, broth and other ingredients are
cooked together. I investigated pilaf years and years ago when I
noticed the likeness of several recipes
Carol's cooked rice with Rotel added to the cooked rice is not pilaf.
Arroz con Pollo is pilaf because the broth, chicken and vegetables are
cooked together.. As far as I can tell, Mexican/Spanish rice is pilaf
I very carefully said 'made according to local traditions' and
'generally the basics'. There are huge variations in the dish. Read
some recipes. Quite a few include pasta and some even include
potatoes.
Sorry, I didn't want to be "teachy", I'm just fascinated by how few
actual different 'recipes' there are. There are base methods that
have been adjusted to reflect available food stuffs, climate,
religions.
Photos of huge differences:
http://tinyurl.com/gvfmclx
Janet US

Janet

Feb 12, 2016, 11:25:28 AM2/12/16
In article <n9jbqo$ftf$1...@dont-email.me>, juli...@frontier.com says...
You said that about your quack hair analyst in England.

Janet UK

Roy

Feb 12, 2016, 11:33:16 AM2/12/16
"I can't eat regular rice so I now eat wild rice."...hmmm, I was led to believe that rice is pretty innocuous when it comes to food intolerance's. Most people can digest it with no problems.
=====

Dave Smith

Feb 12, 2016, 12:11:47 PM2/12/16
Yep. Most normal people have no problem eating rice. She is definitely
not normal. Don't worry. In a little while she will be posting about
cooking and eating rice and deny that she ever said she could not eat it.

Brooklyn1

Feb 12, 2016, 1:41:31 PM2/12/16
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 20:30:16 -0700, Janet B <nos...@cableone.net>
wrote:
What you are refering to as tradional rice is also a grass, there are
many, many varieties, all grass.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice

Brooklyn1

Feb 12, 2016, 1:50:16 PM2/12/16
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 20:50:07 -0700, Janet B <nos...@cableone.net>
wrote:
Pilaf is one of the most widely consumed dishes on the planet, most
every ethnicity has a basic version, frying the grains is not
manditory, most ethnicities do ny fry the rice prior to adding liquid,
in fact most rice that's fried is fried after cooking in liquid, as in
Chinese Fly Lice which is technically a pilaf.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilaf

Brooklyn1

Feb 12, 2016, 1:57:44 PM2/12/16
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 08:33:02 -0800 (PST), Roy <wil...@outlook.com>
wrote:
Rice cereal is one of the first solid foods fed to newborns.
http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/gerber-rice-baby-food

Brooklyn1

Feb 12, 2016, 2:00:21 PM2/12/16
There are probably a million versions of Spanish rice, ALL authentic.

dsi1

Feb 12, 2016, 2:12:14 PM2/12/16
Asians don't ever cook rice in any kind of broth. I suppose some might but I've never seen it happen. Fried rice is prepared with pre-cooked white rice. I suppose some trendy restaurants might use brown rice but I've never seen it. There is jook, which is a popular soup made with rice but it's always made cooked white rice. Asians are unabashedly unoriginal when it comes to cooking rice.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 3:09:41 PM2/12/16

"Janet B" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
But you said that the rice was browned in fat. I suppose some recipes might
be but my mom always made hers in the oven and it wasn't browned in fat. I
did look it up and didn't see any that was browned in fat either. I once
made a Greek rice and spinach dish where not only was the rice browned in
fat to start with but it was made in a skillet with no lid. You added broth
to it as it cooked, stirring all the while. I only made it once as nobody
else liked it. I did. But it wasn't called pilaf.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 3:11:28 PM2/12/16

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
---

Some Asian places here do offer brown rice or even brown fried rice but they
are the Americanized places. Asians don't put salt or fat in the rice
either. My friend was horrified when I told her how I made rice as she only
ever makes the Japanese style.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 3:17:13 PM2/12/16

"Roy" <wil...@outlook.com> wrote in message
Then you were led to believe wrongly. There is more to food intolerance
than just digesting. In my case, the known symptom was high blood sugar. I
had been having bad stomach pains as well which is why I sent for the test.
I don't know which food was the culprit there and I can't say for sure that
the rice was.

I sent for the test prior due to stomach pains and it turned up corn and
potatoes. I stopped eating those and my blood sugar dropped and the pains
stopped. But now those are no longer a problem.

With food intolerances, if you eat too much of something too often, you can
become intolerant to it. That was likely what was happening to me with rice
as I was eating a lot of it. And not just as a whole food. But since I had
to avoid things like cornstarch, I was having rice starch.

I am trying to be careful now not to eat corn or potatoes too often. I
suspect that potatoes became a problem following my foot injury. "Baked"
potatoes were easy to make in the microwave and I was having one almost
nightly for dinner. And for a snack I was often having some form of corn
chip with bean dip.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 3:25:04 PM2/12/16

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
I will give you that. The way in which my body reacts to things is not
normal. Seems to run in the family. Not me but another family member had
an allergic reaction to an allergy pill. When I was younger, I had signs of
overdose from a single cold pill that at the time was a prescription item,
but no longer. I had to be carried out of work by a friend and taken to the
Dr. because it left me in such bad shape. Dr. sent me home to sleep it off
and it took a good 24 hours to get out of my system. And it used to be that
I had to avoid certain allergy meds as they would knock me flat for a good
48 hours. I would just sleep and sleep and sleep.

Then following my thyroid removal, I told the Dr. that I couldn't have
Vicodin as it made me very ill. He just chuckled and told me that I'd be
fine. I assumed that he meant he would give me something else. But no. I
didn't realize that was what they were giving me and it made me so very ill
that I wasn't making the connection that it was causing me to throw up and
hallucinate. Only after I saw the purple dragon flying through the room and
thinking that I saw my SIL throwing it chocolate chips to eat did I realize
that something just plain wasn't right. In fact it put me in such bad shape
that they could not let me leave the hospital. My breathing kept stopping.
One nurse yelled at me and told me to stop doing it. As if I was doing it
on purpose. She said whenever I relaxed, I had stopped breathing. Relax,
my eye! I think really it was more passing out and coming to. And there
were a lot more problems but I couldn't get them to listen to me because at
that point it was very difficult to speak and at best all I could do was
squeak.

The Drs. I have been seeing for some time are well aware of my weird
reactions to meds and are cautious in prescribing them. But this surgeon
was new to me and apparently didn't believe me.

dsi1

Feb 12, 2016, 3:28:30 PM2/12/16
I have fried raw rice in a pan when making Spanish rice. I was never
able to make an acceptable Spanish rice though. Mostly, people learn
this odd technique from making that San Francisco treat - Rice-A-Roni.

dsi1

Feb 12, 2016, 3:30:44 PM2/12/16
Asians would be surprised to learn that some Westerners don't wash their
rice before cooking. It's just not in my DNA to follow that practice. :)

Ophelia

Feb 12, 2016, 4:25:57 PM2/12/16

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message

> Asians would be surprised to learn that some Westerners don't wash their
> rice before cooking. It's just not in my DNA to follow that practice. :)

But washing the rice gets rid of that cloudy stuff with bits in ... yes?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Paul M. Cook

Feb 12, 2016, 4:27:27 PM2/12/16

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
Your cooking habits horrify a lot of people.

---

Bolt Lits AG

Feb 12, 2016, 4:46:00 PM2/12/16
On 2/12/2016 12:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Asians don't ever cook rice in any kind of broth. I suppose some might
> but I've never seen it happen.

How far does one plumb to find the depths of your ignorance, anyway?

"A breakfast and lunch staple in many Asian countries and a mainstay at
the dim sum hall, congee is rice and water (or broth) cooked down into
a thick porridge."

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/dim-sum-classics-silky-comforting-congee.html

No wonder you get the kind of abuse heaped on you that you do here.

Please consider quitting entirely.

Bolt Lits AG

Feb 12, 2016, 4:46:53 PM2/12/16
On 2/12/2016 11:12 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> Asians don't ever cook rice in any kind of broth. I suppose some might but I've never seen it happen. Fried rice is prepared with pre-cooked white rice. I suppose some trendy restaurants might use brown rice but I've never seen it. There is jook, which is a popular soup made with rice but it's always made cooked white rice. Asians are unabashedly unoriginal when it comes to cooking rice.

Wrong.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/dim-sum-classics-silky-comforting-congee.html

dsi1

Feb 12, 2016, 4:51:54 PM2/12/16
On 2/12/2016 11:24 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> Asians would be surprised to learn that some Westerners don't wash
>> their rice before cooking. It's just not in my DNA to follow that
>> practice. :)
>
> But washing the rice gets rid of that cloudy stuff with bits in ... yes?

I guess the rational is that American rice is super clean and contains
no talc. The best you can say about it is that it won't kill you if you
don't wash it. For Asians, that's not good enough! Hee hee.

Ophelia

Feb 12, 2016, 4:58:04 PM2/12/16

"dsi1" <ds...@fishing.net> wrote in message
Well, I am not Asian, but ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1

Feb 12, 2016, 5:00:12 PM2/12/16
I've made jook before. Did you even bother to read my post or your link?

I thought so. :)

Jeßus

Feb 12, 2016, 5:15:17 PM2/12/16
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 12:00:06 -1000, dsi1 <ds...@fishing.net> wrote:

>I thought so. :)

Do you *really* have to encourage it?

dsi1

Feb 12, 2016, 5:25:44 PM2/12/16
Sorry, I lost my scorecard of who's who and what's what around here. I totally hamajang up.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 6:03:29 PM2/12/16

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
I grew up eating that stuff and it was no treat! Then I remember getting my
first apartment and time and time again buying their Spanish or Mexican or
whatever they called it rice when it was on sale. It was awful. But I kept
trying because people kept telling me that I must be making it wrong. No.
It's just awful and not a thing like the real thing.

Oddly enough, my husband who is not a fan of rice or pasta will eat
Rice-A-Roni and likes it.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 6:04:20 PM2/12/16

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
That's not always true. Depends on the kind of rice. Some of it needs to
be washed. Some doesn't.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 6:05:01 PM2/12/16

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> Asians would be surprised to learn that some Westerners don't wash their
>> rice before cooking. It's just not in my DNA to follow that practice. :)
>
> But washing the rice gets rid of that cloudy stuff with bits in ... yes?

If it is in there. Not all rice has that and not all needs to be washed.

Julie Bove

Feb 12, 2016, 6:06:59 PM2/12/16

"Bolt Lits AG" <in...@nation.al> wrote in message
I don't think I wrote that.

dsi1

Feb 12, 2016, 6:48:18 PM2/12/16
I've made Rice-A-Roni several times in my life because I like rice and
San Francisco. I thought browning the rice and pasta was a nutty idea
the first time I made it. You'd think it would give the dish a
toasted-nutty kind of taste but mostly it tastes like salty rice. That's
the breaks.

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 7:21:09 PM2/12/16
Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Janet B" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
> news:m4lqbbp6vj0bnq4rn...@4ax.com... >On Thu, 11 Feb
> 2016 19:51:40 -0600, "cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote:

> kind >>>> > I can find now in a can isn't good.

Julie, if you look up PILAF, of course you wil get PILAF.

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 7:31:17 PM2/12/16
dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 8:50:16 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 20:50:07 -0700, Janet B <nos...@cableone.net>
> > wrote:

> > news:5eadac5a-2e91-4f10...@googlegroups.com... >>>
> > the >>> > > brand or where I was living when I bought it. But the
> > only kind >>> > > I can find now in a can isn't good.

Actually the congee/juk/jook would be the variation that might be
cooked in a mild weak broth, often fish based dashi in Japan but lots
of variation. I can't think of another but there might be?

Carol

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 7:36:47 PM2/12/16
Bolt Lits AG wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Actully the only congee/juk/jook I had in Hawaii was made from plain
cooked rice and the broth was added later.

Some asian versions use no broth at all, it's just rice and water (poor
man's congee) made from last nights leftover rice with hot water added
and mashed a bit.

Web crawling for fancy versions of things, doesnt change the basics
used in a regular home elsewhere.

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 7:44:53 PM2/12/16
Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
> That makes no sense. The rice should be browned before cooking for
> Spanish rice. And I don't use butter but olive oil. But yes, that
> is how it should be done.

Julie, just because you havent seen it, doesn't make it so. You are
doing pilaf. I am not. Nuff said?

> > Others use fresh cooked rice which is then lightly stir fried in
> > butter and olive oil then added spices and tomatoes are added.
>
> Have never ever seen such a recipe. Never.

Want to see one? Or want to deny they exist? Choice is yours.

> > A simple sort that is soft and works well is to make a batch of rice
> > (you'd want about 3 cups yield at least) then add Ro-Tel (or a store
> > knock off) and heat then serve. Some heat the ro-tel separate in
> > the microwave then use it to top the rice. While not haute
> > cuisine, it's simple and fast and in your house may be more
> > effective since people could chose to top the rice with that or
> > something else.
>
> No thanks. That is not how I make it at all. Actually I don't make
> it at all now since I was the only one who really liked it. And I
> can't have rice now. For me, Spanish rice has meat in it and is a
> meal. Mexican rice shouldn't have any chunks of stuff in it. Unless
> of course you are doing something like cilantro lime rice.

???? Wierd. I've not seen a spanish rice with meat in it unless it was
highly americanized or trying to pretend to be a mix of asian shrimp
fried rice with tomato topping..
Carol

dsi1

Feb 12, 2016, 8:36:48 PM2/12/16
What I meant is that the rice can be cooked in a broth but the rice is
pre-cooked the regular way first. Cooking raw rice in a stock is not
something I've heard of.

I have made jook before and I use leftover rice. I use chicken broth but
my guess is that some people use fish stock. Chicken stock is a very
Chinese way to make jook. The interesting thing about jook is that the
rice on the bottom has a most wonderful taste. Slightly scorching the
rice with soup stock produces something truly amazing. I've always made
jook when I've had a leftover chicken/turkey carcass and rice. From
these humble ingredients comes something sublime.

As far as fried rice is concerned, calling fried rice a pilaf is an
insult to two great dishes. We're quite serious about fried rice over
here. Kim chee fried rice is a most wonderful dish.

http://www.bubbleworld.ca/resources/upload/DSC0043.jpg

dsi1

Feb 12, 2016, 8:42:02 PM2/12/16
Rice with hot tea poured on it is a popular thing to eat with the old
folks. I've never gotten a taste for it - it's a pretty old-school thing
to do. My guess is they'll still do that in Japan.

Brooklyn1

Feb 12, 2016, 8:50:42 PM2/12/16
Thats because rice grown in the US is clean, imported rice is
disgustingly filthy with human and other animal excrement. I won't
buy imported rice. Asians are the most disgustingly filthy people on
this planet... the vast majority of Asians go from birth to grave
without ever bathing.

dsi1

Feb 12, 2016, 8:54:33 PM2/12/16
Man, I love this place! :)

Janet B

Feb 12, 2016, 9:05:14 PM2/12/16
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 15:36:44 -1000, dsi1 <ds...@fishing.net> wrote:
snip

>As far as fried rice is concerned, calling fried rice a pilaf is an
>insult to two great dishes. We're quite serious about fried rice over
>here. Kim chee fried rice is a most wonderful dish.
>
>http://www.bubbleworld.ca/resources/upload/DSC0043.jpg

Just in case you think I said that fried rice was a pilaf, no, I did
not. Nor did I imply so.
Janet US

dsi1

Feb 12, 2016, 9:17:05 PM2/12/16
Let's face it, there's not many people that would boldly state that
fried rice is a pilaf - even on a technicality. OTOH, I suppose
technically, a rat is the same as a polar bear. Topologically speaking,
of course. :)

Janet B

Feb 12, 2016, 9:37:23 PM2/12/16
each has 4 feet and that explains it all, No? ;)
Janet US

dsi1

Feb 12, 2016, 9:47:33 PM2/12/16
That's right! I'll bet that sometimes a rat will eat a seal too! :)

Nunya Bidnits

Feb 12, 2016, 9:53:22 PM2/12/16

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

> Asians are the most disgustingly filthy people on
>this planet... the vast majority of Asians go from birth to
>grave
>without ever bathing.

So the Chinese women you claimed were easy to satisfy... what
did you do, turn a hose on them?

heh.

Alex

Feb 12, 2016, 10:19:15 PM2/12/16
jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/11/2016 8:38 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> Don't be too suprised if the taste of brown doesnt appeal. Some love
>> it (I like it for a variation) but some dislike it (Don and Charlotte).
>> It's specifically the nutty flavor they feel off putting in a rice.
>
> Don't forget, wild rice is *not* rice. It's grass seed. I love it
> but I don't want to eat it all the time. Definitely not enough to
> think about buying a case of canned wild rice.
>
> Jill
True dat!

Julie Bove

Feb 13, 2016, 12:35:15 AM2/13/16

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
No. I am most assuredly not doing pilaf. I looked that up. What I make is
not pilaf.

>> > Others use fresh cooked rice which is then lightly stir fried in
>> > butter and olive oil then added spices and tomatoes are added.
>>
>> Have never ever seen such a recipe. Never.
>
> Want to see one? Or want to deny they exist? Choice is yours.

There might be recipes but they wouldn't be authentic.

>> > A simple sort that is soft and works well is to make a batch of rice
>> > (you'd want about 3 cups yield at least) then add Ro-Tel (or a store
>> > knock off) and heat then serve. Some heat the ro-tel separate in
>> > the microwave then use it to top the rice. While not haute
>> > cuisine, it's simple and fast and in your house may be more
>> > effective since people could chose to top the rice with that or
>> > something else.
>>
>> No thanks. That is not how I make it at all. Actually I don't make
>> it at all now since I was the only one who really liked it. And I
>> can't have rice now. For me, Spanish rice has meat in it and is a
>> meal. Mexican rice shouldn't have any chunks of stuff in it. Unless
>> of course you are doing something like cilantro lime rice.
>
> ???? Wierd. I've not seen a spanish rice with meat in it unless it was
> highly americanized or trying to pretend to be a mix of asian shrimp
> fried rice with tomato topping..

We ate it a lot when I was growing up. Here is one such but I certainly
didn't use all of those ingredients. One of my cookbooks has a recipe that
uses bacon instead of beef.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/spanish-rice-dinner

Julie Bove

Feb 13, 2016, 12:36:12 AM2/13/16

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
I have *no* clue what you are trying to say.

Julie Bove

Feb 13, 2016, 12:37:36 AM2/13/16

"dsi1" <ds...@fishing.net> wrote in message
This is funny. I just got off of the phone with a friend who was married to
a Japanese man who is no longer with us. She said the Japanese are
fastidious, especially when it comes to the kitchen.

Bruce

Feb 13, 2016, 2:09:26 AM2/13/16
I guess it's always a bit risky to make blanket statements about a few
billion people :)

--
Bruce

John Kuthe

Feb 13, 2016, 2:14:45 AM2/13/16
On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 11:42:10 AM UTC-6, Janet B wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 09:34:36 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> wrote:

> >> This is good news, Julie. You bought a case based on good reviews.
> >> Good that you tried one before you might depend on it. Now you know
> >> it's a good thing. :)
> >
> >It's still that nasty cultured wild rice. True wild rice is so much
> >better than those skinny black mouse turds.
> >
> >http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/
> >
> >-sw
>
> "Cultured Wild Rice?" I wasn't able to find a good reference for
> this. I see there are farmers? who intentionally grow wild rice in
> swamp land they have developed. I don't think that's what you mean?
> I'm hung up on the term cultured (like cultured pearls) vs.
> cultivated. Explain more please.
> Janet US

Only Heirloom True Wild Rice, eh?

John Kuthe...

dsi1

Feb 13, 2016, 3:59:01 AM2/13/16
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 7:37:36 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> This is funny. I just got off of the phone with a friend who was married to
> a Japanese man who is no longer with us. She said the Japanese are
> fastidious, especially when it comes to the kitchen.

Yes they are and perhaps overly so. Wearing a facemask in public is socially acceptable and it's expected if one has a cold. I wish people would do that here.

The idea of a guy too ignorant/lazy to wash rice before cooking it complaining about the cleanliness of others boggles the mind. I mean, you cannot make this stuff up! :)

Xeno

Feb 13, 2016, 4:04:14 AM2/13/16
I think Brooklyn hasn't set foot out of the US. Most Asians I know bathe
MORE than twice a day. My wife is absolutely OCD about cleanliness!

--

Xeno

Julie Bove

Feb 13, 2016, 4:14:58 AM2/13/16

"John Kuthe" <johnk...@gmail.com> wrote in message
From what I have read of the true wild rice, and there is more than one
brand... It is hand picked then parched which means it is heated over a
fire. This technique makes it cook more quickly. I have ordered some. We
shall see.

Ophelia

Feb 13, 2016, 4:15:15 AM2/13/16

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
How do you know the difference? I don't, so I prefer to wash. Heck it
doesn't take hours!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Julie Bove

Feb 13, 2016, 5:27:50 AM2/13/16

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Yes! Pretty much the only people we see here wearing masks outside of a
medical facility are Asians.

Julie Bove

Feb 13, 2016, 5:31:02 AM2/13/16

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Unless you are buying it in bulk, it should say on the package if it does
need to be washed. I got some brown Basmati at Costco a few years back.
Just barely used it up before it went bad. It said on the bag to wash it
and after I did, I could clearly see why. Had a lot of dust on it. My
preferred rice when I ate it was Texmati. It's very clean and does not need
to be washed. I cook Asian rice far less frequently as we tend not to eat
much Asian food. I never washed it and I never saw any stuff on it.

Ophelia

Feb 13, 2016, 5:54:24 AM2/13/16

"dsi1" <ds...@fishing.net> wrote in message
lol I suppose ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 13, 2016, 6:38:25 AM2/13/16
Just because it's highly Americanized doesn't mean we don't call it
Spanish rice. Spanish rice with hamburger in it is a Midwestern
classic. Here's the recipe from the 1979 edition of
the Better Crocker Cookbook:

Spanish Rice

1/2 pound bacon (about 10 slices), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1/2 pound hamburger
1 medium onion, chipped (about 1/2 cup)
2 cups water
1 cup uncooked regular rice (presume they mean long-grain)
2/3 cup chopped green pepper
1 can (16 ounces) stewed tomatoes
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Fry bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir hamburger and onion in 10-inch skillet until hamburger is light brown; drain. Stir in bacon and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. (Add small amount water during cooking if necessary.)
6 servings.

Yikes. Half an hour for rice. Can you say "exploded mush"?

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 13, 2016, 6:42:10 AM2/13/16
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 8:42:02 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> Rice with hot tea poured on it is a popular thing to eat with the old
> folks. I've never gotten a taste for it - it's a pretty old-school thing
> to do. My guess is they'll still do that in Japan.

I must be an elderly Asian. I don't regularly pour hot tea over rice,
but I've done it. It was pretty good.

There used to be a Chinese restaurant nearby; we'd go there and get
a family-sized bowl of hot and sour soup, two servings of rice, and
tea. (I believe the owners thought we were crazy, but they seemed
to like us.) I'd occasionally pour some hot tea into my rice.
Sadly, the place closed suddenly and we've never been able to find
out if they re-opened elsewhere.

Cindy

Nunya Bidnits

Feb 13, 2016, 1:13:33 PM2/13/16

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

>Just because it's highly Americanized doesn't mean we don't
>call it
>Spanish rice. Spanish rice with hamburger in it is a
>Midwestern
>classic.

Thankfully, not in this part of the Midwest! I've never seen or
heard of this particular glop before. Yuk!

Janet B

Feb 13, 2016, 2:26:07 PM2/13/16
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 03:38:18 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
snip

>Just because it's highly Americanized doesn't mean we don't call it
>Spanish rice. Spanish rice with hamburger in it is a Midwestern
>classic. Here's the recipe from the 1979 edition of
>the Better Crocker Cookbook:
>
>Spanish Rice
>
>1/2 pound bacon (about 10 slices), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
>1/2 pound hamburger
>1 medium onion, chipped (about 1/2 cup)
>2 cups water
>1 cup uncooked regular rice (presume they mean long-grain)
>2/3 cup chopped green pepper
>1 can (16 ounces) stewed tomatoes
>1 teaspoon chili powder
>1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
>1 1/4 teaspoon salt
>1/8 teaspoon pepper
>
>Fry bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir hamburger and onion in 10-inch skillet until hamburger is light brown; drain. Stir in bacon and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. (Add small amount water during cooking if necessary.)
>6 servings.
>
>Yikes. Half an hour for rice. Can you say "exploded mush"?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

That's a 'one-dish meal' or a casserole or a hot dish. (is hot dish
one or two words?)
Mine is called Western Hash and is pretty much the same as above
except the seasonings are different.
All the brand names for tomatoes, salsa, rice etc., have a recipe on
the container back. Some use chicken, chorizo, pork sausage.
Janet US
It is loading more messages.