Re: Hoawrd Johnsons Menu

Danny

Oct 24, 2016, 8:55:47 PM10/24/16

"Sqwertz" > wrote

> Interesting things of note:
>
> Scotch Ham and Eggs (dinner menu). I can't find a good description of
> this other than a "Once made in Scotland, this term now refers to
> uncooked, boneless, mildly cured hams sold in casings.". What was
> "Scotch Ham" doing in Irish-heavy New England?

Fancy name for glazed ham...

Danny

Oct 24, 2016, 10:52:07 PM10/24/16

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> Reference? Yes, I saw the recipe for the scotch (alcohol) ham glaze
> But I'm sure that's not from 1950.
>
> -sw

Ok, if you didn't like that idea. Try this one -->
http://www.stewartsscottishmarket.com/Scotch_Ham_p/sbh2.htm
Stewarts Scottish Market, Scottish tradition through generations, Originally
founded in 1931

Brooklyn1

Oct 24, 2016, 11:15:06 PM10/24/16
On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 19:09:35 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>Cant find a date on here but I suspect it's the late 40's early 50's.
>
>http://menus.nypl.org/menus/28832/explore
>
>Interesting things of note:
>
>Scotch Ham and Eggs (dinner menu). I can't find a good description of
>this other than a "Once made in Scotland, this term now refers to
>uncooked, boneless, mildly cured hams sold in casings.". What was
>"Scotch Ham" doing in Irish-heavy New England?

I posted the recipe for Scotch Eggs not 48 hours ago (because of the
cream sauce thread), a popular Navy breakfast... would be served over
thick sliced grilled canned ham (~1/8") with a side of home fries. The
Navy got exellent canned hams (10 lb Armour), haven't found anything
as good in canned ham since. Southerners adored it, not so much
northerners. Maybe you're thinking of something different, I don't
know.
http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/section_f/F00300.pdf

>Malted Milk

Never heard Malted *Milk*, every NYC candy store served a "Malted", or
a "Frosted", a malted with a scoop of ice cream... "Sid, make me a
malted, "Poof, yer a malted!". I haven't had a real Sid Kutchner
malted in some 55 years. Back then milk was UNhomogenized in glass
bottles, made much creamier malteds. Depending on how much Sid liked
you was wheterh he shook the milk bottle, Sid like me so I got full
cream. No one would know it now but I was what today would be a very
nerdy kid. After school I'd stop at Sid's candy store, took a back
booth and spent a couple three hours doing homework. Sid's wife
brought me my malted and made sure there was quiet in the back booth,
no Trombeniks/Dwarfs allowed. Once yoose internalize the true meaning
of trumbenic (Russian Yiddish) yoose will realize it refers to
Democrats, ie. nogoodnics.
http://languagehat.com/the-trombenick/

>Lettuce and mayonnaise sandwich
>Bacon and peanut butter sandwich (didn't know it was that old an idea)
>Cream Cheese and Guava Jelly sandwich.
>Hamburgers were called "Hamburgs"

Many Noo Yawkers still say hamburgs... and don't mean homburg hats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homburg_(hat)

>Chop Suey Roll (another New England Thang).

More likely chow mein sandwich, also a Nathan's Famous Thang.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chow_mein_sandwich\
I ate Nathan's chow mein sandwiches since the time I could walk (1944)
and up until about 1990 when I left the area... probably still sold.
I'm pretty sure is was Chun King Chow Mein.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4_fLIPAfoY

>And of course the Fried Clam Roll.
>
>-sw

Janet

Oct 25, 2016, 6:34:59 AM10/25/16
In article <8ret0cpeao4r8lrfl...@4ax.com>, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 19:09:35 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> wrote:
>
> >Cant find a date on here but I suspect it's the late 40's early 50's.
> >
> >http://menus.nypl.org/menus/28832/explore
> >
> >Interesting things of note:
> >
> >Scotch Ham and Eggs (dinner menu). I can't find a good description of
> >this other than a "Once made in Scotland, this term now refers to
> >uncooked, boneless, mildly cured hams sold in casings.". What was
> >"Scotch Ham" doing in Irish-heavy New England?
>
> I posted the recipe for Scotch Eggs not 48 hours ago (because of the
> cream sauce thread), a popular Navy breakfast... would be served over
> thick sliced grilled canned ham (~1/8") with a side of home fries. The
> Navy got exellent canned hams (10 lb Armour), haven't found anything
> as good in canned ham since. Southerners adored it, not so much
> northerners. Maybe you're thinking of something different, I don't
> know.
> http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/section_f/F00300.pdf

That's not Scotch Eggs ( a very well known recipe throughout
Britain).

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/eggs-recipes/proper-scotch-eggs-
with-lovely-scottish-cheese-and-pickle/

Scotch Eggs are a boiled egg, shelled then coated in sausage meat
then crumbs and fried to cook the meat. It's a snack, pub or picnic food
.

Janet UK

The Greatest!

Oct 25, 2016, 9:45:18 AM10/25/16
Great word, and there are one or two of those around here...they won't admit to it, but others of us *know* it, lol...

> >Lettuce and mayonnaise sandwich
> >Bacon and peanut butter sandwich (didn't know it was that old an idea)
> >Cream Cheese and Guava Jelly sandwich.
> >Hamburgers were called "Hamburgs"
>
> Many Noo Yawkers still say hamburgs... and don't mean homburg hats.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homburg_(hat)

There's a line in one of Joseph Mitchell's _Up in the Old Hotel_ stories, one of the characters says, "What would you like for lunch, perhaps a hamburg sandwich and a bottle of beer?"...this was NYC c. late 1940's.

I also note "Grilled Frankforts" on that menu, you don't hear that anymore...

Also, it is it me, or has "Ham Salad" (seen on that menu) just about disappeared...it was a staple of my Midwestern childhood, everybody made it and it was on menus. Until about 15 years ago I'd see it grocery deli cases, but not lately...

My grandma (originally from PA Dutch stock) would put big chunks of baloney in the meat grinder, and that was her version of "ham salad"...they were also big on ring baloney...once a staple, I still see it.

Now whenever I see cheap baloney ("Bar S" brand...), I think "Hillary Clinton Baloney"...I tried Bar S once, and I got a terrible gout attack, and I'm on gout meds, never get gout anymore, except for that once. So in my calculation: "Bar S Baloney" + "Hillary Clinton" = "Unbearable Pain"...that lying noze of hers needs to go into the meat grinder, too, but a piece of machinery that titanic has not been built yet.

--
Best
Greg

Gary

Oct 25, 2016, 11:23:07 AM10/25/16
Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Many Noo Yawkers still say hamburgs...

My mother has lived in Maryland all of her life.
She always calls ground beef, "Hamburg"

As in, "Add one pound of hamburg" for a recipe.

Brooklyn1

Oct 25, 2016, 11:41:40 AM10/25/16
Sqwertz wrote:
>On Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>>Cant find a date on here but I suspect it's the late 40's early 50's.
>>>
>>>http://menus.nypl.org/menus/28832/explore
>>>
>>>Interesting things of note:
>>>
>>>Scotch Ham and Eggs (dinner menu). I can't find a good description of
>>>this other than a "Once made in Scotland, this term now refers to
>>>uncooked, boneless, mildly cured hams sold in casings.". What was
>>>"Scotch Ham" doing in Irish-heavy New England?
>>
>> I posted the recipe for Scotch Eggs not 48 hours ago
>
>Except these aren't Scotch eggs. Read it again.

Scotch ham and eggs reads Scotch ham & Scotch eggs.
I was careful to note that's how I know the dish, I don't know what
you think it is.

>>>Malted Milk
>>
>> Never heard Malted *Milk*,
>
>It's sweet malted milk powder mixed with water. Add ice cream and
>it's a malt.

Never saw such. The malteds I know were primarily whole fresh milk
with a heaping spoon of malted powder, like that in chocolate covered
malted balls... no water added.

>>>Hamburgers were called "Hamburgs"
>>
>> Many Noo Yawkers still say hamburgs... and don't mean homburg hats.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homburg_(hat)
>>
>>>Chop Suey Roll (another New England Thang).
>>
>> More likely chow mein sandwich,
>
>Chop suey (sandwiches) don't have noodles and is made with chopped
>vegetables and lot of bean sprouts. Chow mein sandwiches have noodles
>(usually the crispy ones).

The chow mein sandwiches I know don't contain noodles... even in the
vast majority of Chinese restaurants I've been to, and too many to
count, chow mein is served with crispy noodles on the side in a
separate bowl, same as canned chow mein. The take out joints package
the noodles seperately too. Sadly there aren't many traditional
American style Chinese Restaurants anymore, they've pretty nuch gone
the way of the Chinese hand laundry. The restaurants and take outs
that now exist serve a poor imitation... their dishes are closer to
Puerto Rican cooking... boiled yellow rice with green peas is not fly
lice. More often the cooks and other employees are not Chinese. The
chop suey I know is nothing like chow mein, it's composed of different
ingredients and there's no bean sprouts or thickened sauce... most
menus don't feature chop suey and of those that do the dish it not
consistant, it's more at cook's choice, a way to use up ingredients
about to spoil. Every geographical location prepares American style
Chinese food very differently. The first time I tried Chinese in CA
it was very unfamiliar, not even how it was served, in Noo Yawk Cidy
it arrives in stainless steel pedestaled tureens with domed SS covers.
each person filled their own plate... was served the same as how
Chinese people were served real Chinese food... most of I which I
don't find appetizing.

Brooklyn1

Oct 25, 2016, 11:47:22 AM10/25/16
I never said it was authentic Scot cusine, I clearly posted a US
military recipe... the ship's menu board didn't say Woodcock for
obvious reasons.

jmcquown

Oct 25, 2016, 12:25:33 PM10/25/16
Both of my grandmothers called it "hamburg". A hamburger was served on
a bun or a roll; "hamburg" was ground beef.

Jill

jmcquown

Oct 25, 2016, 1:01:49 PM10/25/16
Ah yes, the US Navy. So, how did the Scotch Eggs come into play in this
conversation? We're not talking mock Scotch Eggs from your memories of
a ship.

I looked at that link you posted, Sheldon. All I can say is yuk.
Breadcrumb coated sliced in half already hard boiled eggs, drizzled with
cheese sauce and baked yet again to ultra rubberyness. Are you kidding
me?! This is the wonderful ship food you cooked and the Navy called
Scotch eggs?

Jill

Dave Smith

Oct 25, 2016, 3:51:42 PM10/25/16
On 2016-10-25 1:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I looked at that link you posted, Sheldon. All I can say is yuk.
> Breadcrumb coated sliced in half already hard boiled eggs, drizzled with
> cheese sauce and baked yet again to ultra rubberyness. Are you kidding
> me?! This is the wonderful ship food you cooked and the Navy called
> Scotch eggs?

Scotch egg is on my want to try list. It is not the healthiest food
around but it sure does sound good.

Brooklyn1

Oct 25, 2016, 7:10:27 PM10/25/16
"The Greatest!" gregorymorrow wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
Bar S is way beyond ferstunkinah. I buy packs of their bologna for
99¢ for feeding crows during hard winters but I'm sure they'd much
rather Oscar Mayer crapola at twice the price. Bar S is worse than
road kill.

Brooklyn1

Oct 25, 2016, 7:17:00 PM10/25/16
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 13:01:45 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Southerners loved it, northerners not so much.

Brooklyn1

Oct 25, 2016, 7:19:35 PM10/25/16
It was good if you liked hardcooked eggs drowning in white sauce.

jmcquown

Oct 25, 2016, 8:32:41 PM10/25/16
That is NOT what Scotch Eggs are, Sheldon.

Jill

jmcquown

Oct 25, 2016, 8:34:04 PM10/25/16
Whatever you choose to say, those are not Scotch Eggs. They're over
cooked boiled eggs smothered in some sort of sauce.

Jill

Janet

Oct 26, 2016, 7:45:41 AM10/26/16
In article <nuotl2$eih$1...@dont-email.me>, j_mc...@comcast.net says...
It isn't Scotch Woodcock, either

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_woodcock

"Scotch woodcock is a savoury consisting of creamy, softly scrambled
eggs served on toast that has been spread with anchovy paste or
Gentleman's Relish.

Scotch woodcock was served in the refreshment rooms of the House of
Commons of the United Kingdom as late as 1949.[1] It was also served
historically at the colleges of the University of Cambridge and the
University of Oxford[2] and it continues to be served at the Oxford and
Cambridge Club as an alternative to sweet desserts or cheeseboard.

It was a well-known dish in the Victorian era, and is mentioned in Mrs
Beeton's Book of Household Management"

Janet UK

The Greatest!

Oct 26, 2016, 11:21:03 AM10/26/16
Yup...just like Hillary...

--
Best
Greg

Leonard Blaisdell

Oct 26, 2016, 10:31:34 PM10/26/16
In article <pheih3dutxp2$.d...@sqwertz.com>, Sqwertz
<swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> You have to admire his insistence on being ignorant.

Well, from the recipes that have been bandied about in this thread, I
seemed to remember and had to look up scotch.
The first definition on a google "definition: scotch" search defines
scotch as abandon, dump or destroy.
Seems appropriate.
Hard boiled eggs should be eaten sliced in half with salt and pepper,
chopped into egg salad or scotched.
But that's just me ;)

leo