I don't see much about the noble rabbit here

A Moose in Love

Jun 23, 2019, 9:30:14 AM6/23/19
I used to love eating rabbit. We usually either roasted it, or made a goulash with it. The last time I had it, I found I no longer cared for it. It was the texture. Maybe it's just too lean for my taste.

Terry Coombs

Jun 23, 2019, 9:37:57 AM6/23/19
On 6/23/2019 8:30 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> I used to love eating rabbit. We usually either roasted it, or made a goulash with it. The last time I had it, I found I no longer cared for it. It was the texture. Maybe it's just too lean for my taste.

  Not much that's "noble" about the rabbits here ... they are allowed
to live as long as they stay out of the garden . I do have fencing etc
to keep them out , they do have their place . And it's anywhere but in
my garden . This time of year they're pretty nasty with parasites , not
fit to eat so I don't like to kill them .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

notbob

Jun 23, 2019, 10:23:28 AM6/23/19
On 2019-06-23, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com> wrote:

>   Not much that's "noble" about the rabbits here [...]
> This time of year they're pretty nasty with parasites , not
> fit to eat so I don't like to kill them .

Jackrabbits or Cottontails?

In CA, it was mostly jacks. Here, in the CO Rockies, it's mostly
Cottontails. ;)

nb

Janet

Jun 23, 2019, 11:05:17 AM6/23/19
In article <521b868a-b775-402d...@googlegroups.com>,
parkstre...@gmail.com says...

> I used to love eating rabbit. We usually either roasted it, or made a goulash with it. The last time I had it, I found I no longer cared for it. It was the texture. Maybe it's just too lean for my taste.

I used to buy, cook and eat wild rabbit often when we were young and
poor; delicious and very cheap. Back then butchers sold game hanging on
hooks round their shop, gutted but legs head and fur (or feathers) on.

I was well used to skinning a rabbit. Then one day during my first
pregnancy, still a bit queasy in the morning, I was peeling the skin off
a rabbit when suddenly the awful thought struck me "This naked rabbit
looks just like a little pink dead baby, WAAAAAAAHHH".

Yes, we did eat it, but that was the last time I cooked rabbit for
several years.

Last time I ate rabbit was a fortnight ago at our favourite local
pub. Local wild rabbit, cooked in cider with prunes, served with mashed
potato and buttered cabbage. So tender and tasty.

Janet UK

Terry Coombs

Jun 23, 2019, 11:35:29 AM6/23/19
  I guess they're cottontails , just little brown bunnies . When I used
to live out in Utahaha we were careful not to let dogs chase jacks .
Damn things don't circle back like cottontails , they're just as likely
to end up in the next county .

Dave Smith

Jun 23, 2019, 11:40:31 AM6/23/19
We get cottontails around here. I have only seen on jackrabbit in my
life. It was more than 40 years ago and it was running along the road
beside me. It was the size of a medium sized dog. We didn't have many
rabbits around here for a long time. Their numbers dropped off as the
coyote population climbed. I am starting to see rabbits again and I
haven't heard the coyotes for months.

My old dog used to love to be tied up on a rope in the back yard. One
dumb bunny used to nest within the reach of the rope. Not many of those
babies made it.

Dave Smith

Jun 23, 2019, 11:41:43 AM6/23/19
I think they may need to do that so that the game can be identified by
the wildlife authorities.

U.S. Janet B.

Jun 23, 2019, 11:56:36 AM6/23/19
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 06:30:11 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
<parkstre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I used to love eating rabbit. We usually either roasted it, or made a goulash with it. The last time I had it, I found I no longer cared for it. It was the texture. Maybe it's just too lean for my taste.

It's been decades since I've seen rabbit in the supermarket. The last
time I saw rabbit to purchase it was through a high end specialty
ranch for prime beef. The cost for a rabbit was about $45 or more.
I loved rabbit while growing up and often cooked it after married. I
don't know, maybe rabbit can be purchased in a supermarket in the
mid-west.
Janet US

A Moose in Love

Jun 23, 2019, 12:00:29 PM6/23/19
I like wild rabbit. These days not to eat, but to observe. When I go walking in the bush, sometimes they are out there. When in the open, they will remain very still thinking I don't see them. But I do, and when I start to walk towards them they know they've been busted and scatter. I don't know how they manage to survive there. We have fox in the city, and apparently coyotes.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jun 23, 2019, 3:33:15 PM6/23/19
On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 10:05:17 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:

> I used to buy, cook and eat wild rabbit often when we were young and
> poor; delicious and very cheap.
>
> I was well used to skinning a rabbit. Then one day during my first
> pregnancy, still a bit queasy in the morning, I was peeling the skin off
> a rabbit when suddenly the awful thought struck me "This naked rabbit
> looks just like a little pink dead baby, WAAAAAAAHHH".
>
> Janet UK

I haven't eaten rabbit in 50+ years. The lady two doors up raised them
and when she'd kill one for their dinner she'd kill an extra and bring
it to us.

A childhood friend's father and his brother-in-law used to go squirrel
hunting. We'd always watch with great interest when they'd skin and clean
their bounty. The smell of that squirrel blood put me off the thought of
ever trying the dish.

My former boss father died of a disease similar to mad cow disease. One of
the first questions the doctors asked of the family when the disease was
diagnosed was "did he eat squirrel as a child?" They did not know whether
he had or not.

notbob

Jun 23, 2019, 4:15:20 PM6/23/19
On 6/23/2019 9:36 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

> When I used
> to live out in Utahaha we were careful not to let dogs chase jacks .
> Damn things don't circle back like cottontails , they're just as likely
> to end up in the next county .

I've seen my late mom's miniature poodle run down a jack over newly
disced ground. Dumb dog didn't know what to do with the jack after the
dog caught up with it and they both took a tumble, so they both got up
an did it again.

That poodle ran down that jack 3 times. I jes watched in amazement. ;)

nb

Ophelia

Jun 23, 2019, 4:39:07 PM6/23/19

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
==

Speak to D. He often brings home rabbit when he has been out shooting.

U.S. Janet B.

Jun 23, 2019, 5:15:00 PM6/23/19
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 21:38:48 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I'll get right on that :-)

jmcquown

Jun 23, 2019, 7:18:08 PM6/23/19
On 6/23/2019 9:38 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 6/23/2019 8:30 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> I used to love eating rabbit.  We usually either roasted it, or made a
>> goulash with it.  The last time I had it, I found I no longer cared
>> for it.  It was the texture.  Maybe it's just too lean for my taste.
>
>   Not much that's "noble" about the rabbits here ... they are allowed
> to live as long as they stay out of the garden . I do have fencing etc
> to keep them out , they do have their place . And it's anywhere but in
> my garden . This time of year they're pretty nasty with parasites , not
> fit to eat so I don't like to kill them .

Having cooked store bought (farm raised) rabbit I can honestly say it
tastes a lot like chicken.

I have a fond memory of a rabbit. The house where I was a teenager had
a small brick wall out front by the steps. Drainage holes in the bricks
wall. My mother and I used to sit outside on the steps and talk in the
evening. We kept seeing something out of the corner of our eyes. We
thought at first it was a toad. Turned out to be a tiny little rabbit.
Mom and I started sneaking it vegetables.

We thought for sure my dad would pitch a fit if he knew there was a
rabbit living in the brick wall. We were wrong. One day I was looking
at it out the window and he said "What the hell are you looking at?
Better not be a cat!" (He hated cats, I have no idea why.) I said,
"Shhhhh. Don't scare it!" He got up and looked, saw the tiny rabbit
and *melted* He said, "Awwww! It's a baby bunny! Do we have any
lettuce?" Totally changed my perspective of my hardnosed father. :)

Jill

Julie Bove

Jun 24, 2019, 3:34:09 AM6/24/19

"A Moose in Love" <parkstre...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I used to love eating rabbit. We usually either roasted it, or made a
>goulash with it. The last time I had it, I found I no longer cared for it.
>It was the texture. Maybe it's just too lean for my taste.

I think it's pretty expensive.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jun 24, 2019, 3:44:10 AM6/24/19
In article <qenvbi$ru4$1...@dont-email.me>, Terry Coombs
<snag...@msn.com> wrote:

>   Not much that's "noble" about the rabbits here ... they are allowed
> to live as long as they stay out of the garden . I do have fencing etc
> to keep them out , they do have their place . And it's anywhere but in
> my garden . This time of year they're pretty nasty with parasites , not
> fit to eat so I don't like to kill them .

Out here, we have black tailed jackrabbits. At this time of year,
they're laden with full-fed ticks and warble worms. There is open
season on them, but nobody hunts them. I've never heard of anyone
eating one nowadays.
We are allowed to shoot cottontails in the fall. I've probably shot ten
in my life. They were a target of opportunity while hunting birds that
I mostly passed on. The best I had was one I shot in a alfalfa field.
The rabbit lived and fed there. Mom fried it. It was excellent.
I *think* you can get tularemia from just cleaning one without rubber
gloves. I *think* I learned that recently. I think I was lucky.
I haven't seen domestic rabbit sold where I shop in many years. I never
tasted one.

leo

Ophelia

Jun 24, 2019, 4:02:14 AM6/24/19

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
===

LOL I will warn him to expect you:)))

Ophelia

Jun 24, 2019, 4:02:14 AM6/24/19

"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
===

Myxamatosis here was an infection that was spread deliberately to
release the population. It was hellish and damned cruel.

We sometimes see it in the odd rabbit, but there is a natural disease
that is even worse than Myxi. A mutated strain of Rabbit Heamorhagic
Disease is hitting both wild and pet rabbits now:(

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 24, 2019, 8:18:27 AM6/24/19
Domestic rabbit tastes like expensive chicken.

Ophelia

Jun 24, 2019, 8:27:24 AM6/24/19

"Ophelia" wrote in message news:gnbec2...@mid.individual.net...
===

Release/decrease

notbob

Jun 24, 2019, 9:20:04 AM6/24/19
On 6/24/2019 6:18 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Domestic rabbit tastes like expensive chicken.

....and chickens raised in CFO's --"expensive" or otherwise-- has no
flavor at all. ;)

nb

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 24, 2019, 10:16:03 AM6/24/19
Not true, unless your taste buds have something wrong
with them.

Distilled water has no flavor at all. Even tofu has
some flavor.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Jun 24, 2019, 10:30:45 AM6/24/19
Very expensive. The last time I saw a rabbit in the meat department of a
local grocery it was about $32.

col...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2019, 11:28:11 AM6/24/19
I have a book that tells how to make rabbit hutches, better than ones you would buy.

dsi1

Jun 24, 2019, 1:35:58 PM6/24/19
On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 3:30:14 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> I used to love eating rabbit. We usually either roasted it, or made a goulash with it. The last time I had it, I found I no longer cared for it. It was the texture. Maybe it's just too lean for my taste.

Most Americans abhor the thought of eating a rabbit. Perhaps it's because they look like a skinned cat although, I've never seen a skinned cat. My understanding is that there's many ways to skin a cat but only one way to skin a rabbit. Why is that?

Bruce

Jun 24, 2019, 2:49:50 PM6/24/19
You pull the skin over its poop hole.

Bruce

Jun 24, 2019, 3:02:26 PM6/24/19
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 11:43:17 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2019-06-23 10:23 a.m., notbob wrote:
>> On 2019-06-23, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>>>   Not much that's "noble" about the rabbits here [...]
>>> This time of year they're pretty nasty with parasites , not
>>> fit to eat so I don't like to kill them .
>>
>> Jackrabbits or Cottontails?
>>
>> In CA, it was mostly jacks. Here, in the CO Rockies, it's mostly
>> Cottontails. ;)
>>

>We get cottontails around here. I have only seen on jackrabbit in my
>life. It was more than 40 years ago and it was running along the road
>beside me. It was the size of a medium sized dog. We didn't have many
>rabbits around here for a long time. Their numbers dropped off as the
>coyote population climbed. I am starting to see rabbits again and I
>haven't heard the coyotes for months.
>

>My old dog used to love to be tied up on a rope in the back yard.

Yes, dogs loooooove that retarded practice.

Ophelia

Jun 24, 2019, 3:32:52 PM6/24/19

"Bruce" wrote in message news:ah72heda69jca0ggl...@4ax.com...
===

Bloody hell. No dog of mine has ever been tied up on a rope in the
back yard.

Who ever wrote that ought to be prosecuted and not be allowed ever to
have any pets at all!!

Damned cruel!!

Bruce

Jun 24, 2019, 3:35:05 PM6/24/19
On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 20:32:42 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Yes, also the old countryside practice of having a guard dog in a
cage. Maybe people didn't know any better 50 years ago, but these
days...

Ophelia

Jun 24, 2019, 3:38:09 PM6/24/19

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message

>>My old dog used to love to be tied up on a rope in the back yard.
>
>Yes, dogs loooooove that retarded practice.
>
>===
>
> Bloody hell. No dog of mine has ever been tied up on a rope in the
>back yard.
>
> Who ever wrote that ought to be prosecuted and not be allowed ever to
>have any pets at all!!
>
> Damned cruel!!

Yes, also the old countryside practice of having a guard dog in a
cage. Maybe people didn't know any better 50 years ago, but these
days...

===

Anyone who treats an animal in that way, ought to be subjected to the
same treatment!

I wonder how they would like to be tied up like that?? UGH!!

Terry Coombs

Jun 24, 2019, 6:19:29 PM6/24/19
  Weeellllllll ... Max is confined on a chain or cable while outside -
but he's not just left out all the time . He gets plenty of attention
and play time with master (asleep behind my desk chair right now). Now I
know that he'd like nothing more than to run free in the woods and all
around , but that's just not safe . As sparsely populated as our
"neighborhood" is , there are people down here that will shoot a
"strange" - strange being "not my dog" - on sight not to mention there
are things out in the woods that could be dangerous . And Max is a
hunting dog , he's intact , and he's going to roam if he gets the chance
. We love him too much to take a chance on him getting hurt .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

col...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2019, 6:28:03 PM6/24/19
When I left my dog chained in the yard she would just sit and watch the door for me to come get her.

Bruce

Jun 24, 2019, 6:39:38 PM6/24/19
On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 15:27:59 -0700 (PDT), col...@gmail.com wrote:

>When I left my dog chained in the yard she would just sit and watch the door for me to come get her.

It's the same as with children. Some people just shouldn't have them.

dsi1

Jun 24, 2019, 6:44:08 PM6/24/19
On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:28:03 PM UTC-10, col...@gmail.com wrote:
> When I left my dog chained in the yard she would just sit and watch the door for me to come get her.

If your dog is a dog capable of mauling and killing, thank you. Thank you very much.

Dave Smith

Jun 24, 2019, 6:47:50 PM6/24/19
On 2019-06-24 6:20 p.m., Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 6/24/2019 2:32 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>>> We get cottontails around here. I have only seen on jackrabbit in my
>>> life. It was more than 40 years ago and it was running along the road
>>> beside me. It was the size of a medium sized dog.  We didn't have many
>>> rabbits around here for a long time.  Their numbers dropped off as the
>>> coyote population climbed.  I am starting to see rabbits again and I
>>> haven't heard the coyotes for months.
>>>

>>> My old dog used to love to be tied up on a rope in the back yard.
>>
>> Yes, dogs loooooove that retarded practice.
>>
>> ===
>>
>>     Bloody hell.  No dog of mine has ever been tied up on a rope in
>> the back yard.
>>
>>     Who ever wrote that ought to be prosecuted and not be allowed ever
>> to have any pets at all!!
>>
>>    Damned cruel!!
>>

>   Weeellllllll ... Max is confined on a chain or cable while outside -
> but he's not just left out all the time .

You have to chuckle at the irony of Ophelia trying to apply the term
retarded. As I had said, my dog loved to be in his rope.... rope, not
chain. No one said he lived out there, or that he was left out there for
hours at a time. He liked to be outside with us, but could not be
trusted to stick around. When going out to the patio I would take him
out and tell him go to the rope and he would run out and sit at the end
of the rope with the clip on. We have a 16 foot square kennel but he
did not like to be in there.

I don't know why he did not like the kennel. A dog we had before him
loved the kennel. I left it open and could let the dog out and tell him
to go to the kennel and he would run in and stay in.

> He gets plenty of attention
> and play time with master (asleep behind my desk chair right now). Now I
> know that he'd like nothing more than to run free in the woods and all

Same with my guys. They get a one or two mile walk first thing every
morning and they go to the dog park every afternoon.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jun 24, 2019, 9:17:51 PM6/24/19
On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 5:19:29 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

> Max is a hunting dog.

What breed is he?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jun 24, 2019, 9:18:25 PM6/24/19
On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 5:28:03 PM UTC-5, col...@gmail.com wrote:

> When I left my dog chained in the yard she would just sit and watch the door for me to come get her.

Yep, some will do that.

Gary

Jun 25, 2019, 8:19:43 AM6/25/19
dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 3:30:14 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > I used to love eating rabbit. We usually either roasted it, or made a goulash with it. The last time I had it, I found I no longer cared for it. It was the texture. Maybe it's just too lean for my taste.
>
> Most Americans abhor the thought of eating a rabbit.

There ya go again guessing about "most Americans." I've eaten
plenty of rabbit, always wild. They are fairly plain tasting and
very lean but good meat for many casseroles (where other flavors
are there). My one grandfather was the rabbit hunter supreme. It
was his love of life and provided food for his large family. He
kept 3 hunting dogs (beagles).

Most meals there included a rabbit casserole of some kind. I
loved them all. Never abhored the thought of eating one.

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 25, 2019, 9:01:18 AM6/25/19
In all fairness, I think he's right about "most Americans".
We're scarcely a representative sampling here, being older
and more food-oriented.

Cindy Hamilton

Julian Macassey

Jun 25, 2019, 1:30:11 PM6/25/19
On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 08:19:44 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net>
wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 3:30:14 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love
>> wrote:
>> > I used to love eating rabbit. We usually either roasted it,
>> > or made a goulash with it. The last time I had it, I found
>> > I no longer cared for it. It was the texture. Maybe it's
>> > just too lean for my taste.
>>
>> Most Americans abhor the thought of eating a rabbit.
>
> There ya go again guessing about "most Americans." I've eaten
> plenty of rabbit, always wild.

Yes, "most Americans". You are an exception.

--
"We tend to forget. Ours is a society where things are like instant, so
therefore, history almost is like so far back it doesn't count."

dsi1

Jun 25, 2019, 1:53:26 PM6/25/19
You probably think that most Americans would just love to have a ferret come sleep with them on their beds too. If you want to believe that Americans love to eat rabbit, that's fine with me. I should have said that most Hawaiians find the idea revolting.

Oddly enough, we do have a rabbit in our freezer. It's name was "Fluffy." When it died, my daughter stuck it in there. I sure hope she does something with it soon. It gives me the creeps and besides, I need the space.

Ophelia

Jun 25, 2019, 3:48:39 PM6/25/19

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:qeri9d$5f6$1...@dont-email.me...
Snag

====

I would never believe you capable of behaving badly towards your
well loved dog!!

I understand that he is tethered for his own safety and there is
nothing wrong with that. Heck he is not being tied up all day and every day
as some poor souls are.

Gary

Jun 26, 2019, 7:02:36 AM6/26/19
dsi1 wrote:

> You probably think that most Americans would just love to have a ferret come sleep with them on their beds too.

No, ha haha, I certainly don't think that. I am definitely the
odd one. :-D

> Oddly enough, we do have a rabbit in our freezer.
> It's name was "Fluffy." When it died, my daughter
> stuck it in there. I sure hope she does something with it soon.
> It gives me the creeps and besides, I need the space.

Well she does need to bury the poor thing. I kept my first dead
ferret in the freezer for a couple of weeks just until I could
bury her. We all do what's necessary at the time.

Freezer pets are NOT good eats though. ;)

jmcquown

Jun 30, 2019, 11:33:02 AM6/30/19
Too true! A few years ago I priced Pel-Freez brand frozen domestic
rabbit after it was discussed here. (Frankly I was surprised to find it
at the grocery store. IIRC one cut up rabbit cost about $25. I'd
bought and cooked some in the early 1990's after watching a cooking show
on PBS. Back then it didn't cost nearly that much. The rabbit wasn't
anything special; chicken would have sufficed.

Jill

jmcquown

Jun 30, 2019, 11:36:28 AM6/30/19
My cat Persia used to sit in the front window waiting for me to get home
from work. When I'd get home she'd run to the front entry way by the
door to greet me. :)

Jill

A Moose in Love

Jun 30, 2019, 11:50:08 AM6/30/19
I like chicken. I no longer like rabbit.

jmcquown

Jun 30, 2019, 11:52:17 AM6/30/19
On 6/25/2019 8:19 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> Most Americans abhor the thought of eating a rabbit.
>
> There ya go again guessing about "most Americans."

dsi1 loves making sweeping generalizations. He's mostly wrong.

> I've eaten
> plenty of rabbit, always wild. They are fairly plain tasting and
> very lean but good meat for many casseroles (where other flavors
> are there). My one grandfather was the rabbit hunter supreme. It
> was his love of life and provided food for his large family. He
> kept 3 hunting dogs (beagles).
>
> Most meals there included a rabbit casserole of some kind. I
> loved them all. Never abhored the thought of eating one.

I didn't grow up in a family of hunters so I never tasted wild rabbit.
I sure as heck have cooked and eaten farmed (domestic) rabbit. The
thought of eating rabbit did not "abhor" me anymore than eating chicken
does.

The rabbit I cooked (bought from the freezer case - Pel Freez brand)
involved browing the rabbit pieces in a little oil and butter and remove
it to a plate. Then sauteeing onion, garlic, probably some celery in
the resulting fond. Deglaze the pan with a cup of light red wine, add
the rabbit back to the pan and enough chicken stock to cover. Also some
herbs, probably thyme. (We're talking early 1990's, I forget exactly
what seasonings.) It was tasty but the same result could have been
accomplished with pieces of chicken.

Jill

A Moose in Love

Jun 30, 2019, 11:53:00 AM6/30/19
Nice. When we had our tobacco farm, my two young dogs would be waiting for me at the school bus stop. That was such a joyous occasion for all concerned. The one dog grew up into a nice German Shepard and was accidentally run over by one of our workers. He died a few hours later. He attacked the tire of the car and got pulled under. I cried that night.

jmcquown

Jun 30, 2019, 12:00:09 PM6/30/19
On 6/25/2019 1:30 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 08:19:44 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net>
> wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> Most Americans abhor the thought of eating a rabbit.
>>
>> There ya go again guessing about "most Americans." I've eaten
>> plenty of rabbit, always wild.
>
> Yes, "most Americans". You are an exception.

I beg to differ. dsi1 forgets he's "an American". There are plenty of
folks (myself included) who have cooked and eaten rabbit. Whether or
not they like it (or if it's available) is a totally different matter.

Jill

jmcquown

Jun 30, 2019, 12:04:59 PM6/30/19
On 6/23/2019 4:15 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 6/23/2019 9:36 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>>  When I used to live out in Utahaha we were careful not to let dogs
>> chase jacks . Damn things don't circle back like cottontails , they're
>> just as likely to end up in the next county .
>
> I've seen my late mom's miniature poodle run down a jack over newly
> disced ground.   Dumb dog didn't know what to do with the jack after the
> dog caught up with it and  they both took a tumble, so they both got up
> an did it again.
>
> That poodle ran down that jack 3 times.  I jes watched in amazement.  ;)
>
> nb

LOL nb! Must have been a sight! I guess that miniature poodle still
had the hunting instinct of a standard poodle. (IIRC poodles were
originally hunting dogs, not poofy dogs wearing sparkly collars.)

Jill

Dave Smith

Jun 30, 2019, 12:19:34 PM6/30/19
I saw rabbit in a local grocery store the other day. The smallest was
over $28, and the largest was $35 something. The large one was about as
big as a small chicken.

A Moose in Love

Jun 30, 2019, 12:19:52 PM6/30/19
My dad who was a good runner, ran down a wild rabbit; a small one. I went out to see him when he was plowing. He had it under his hat and showed me. That was a pretty good goulash that evening.

A Moose in Love

Jun 30, 2019, 12:21:15 PM6/30/19
I didn't realize that they were that expensive these days. We have them at our local Saturday Farmer's market, but I haven't checked the prices. Not interested in them anymore. Tastes change.

Dave Smith

Jun 30, 2019, 12:40:00 PM6/30/19
We never had it when I was a kid. It was an issue similar to lamb for
my father. He had spent a few years in the UK during the war and was fed
to much mutton. He had grown up on a rabbit ranch during the Depression
and ate more than enough rabbit for a lifetime. I have cooked it a
couple times and had it in restaurants a couple times. It's okay. Given
the choice of a $10 chicken or a $30 rabbit, I'll buy the chicken.

col...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2019, 1:06:41 PM6/30/19
My mom said when she was a kid they ate mutton but she said she doubted she'd eat it now.

jmcquown

Jun 30, 2019, 1:09:02 PM6/30/19
I can only find it frozen. I mentioned the brand. That was both back
in Memphis (in the 1990's) and at Publix in Beaufort a few years ago.
The last time I checked I knew for sure it was not worth the price. I
didn't even look at the weight of the bag of frozen rabbit, just saw the
price and laughed.

Jill

jmcquown

Jun 30, 2019, 1:28:47 PM6/30/19
There ya go. At those prices no need to hold out for rabbit.

My father grew up during the Depression. I honestly don't know if he
ate rabbit when he was growing up. Probably. But once they moved from
the country to a town (steel mill), not likely hunting. His sister had
a pet rabbit. It wasn't a rabbit kept in a hutch in the yard. This
rabbit lived in the house and my aunt taught it to use a litterbox like
a cat. It just hopped around the house. :)

This was during the height of the Depression. I remember being so
surprised to hear my grandmother would have allowed the indulgence of a
pet rabbit in such dire times. Dad and his siblings picked dandylion
greens. For years my father wouldn't eat greens of any kind. He always
said greens reminded him of when they were so very poor.

Jill

penm...@aol.com

Jun 30, 2019, 1:30:07 PM6/30/19
On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 11:32:55 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
About once a month we had rabbit aboard ship. most everyone thought it
was chicken.

penm...@aol.com

Jun 30, 2019, 1:37:51 PM6/30/19
On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 11:36:22 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
All our cats do likewise as soon as they hear the garage door opening.
We never open the front door, we enter through the garage and into the
kitchen. Everyone here in farm country does the same, even guests are
admited through the garage.

penm...@aol.com

Jun 30, 2019, 1:44:17 PM6/30/19
On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 11:52:10 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 6/25/2019 8:19 AM, Gary wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Most Americans abhor the thought of eating a rabbit.
>>
>> There ya go again guessing about "most Americans."
>
>dsi1 loves making sweeping generalizations. He's mostly wrong.

DumbShitInterloper1 reminds me of the Obamas with his constant put
downs about Americans... makes me wonder if he was born in Kenya

penm...@aol.com

Jun 30, 2019, 1:53:57 PM6/30/19
On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 12:42:47 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2019-06-30 11:59 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 6/25/2019 1:30 PM, Julian Macassey wrote:
>
>>>     Yes, "most Americans". You are an exception.
>>>

>> I beg to differ.  dsi1 forgets he's "an American".  There are plenty of
>> folks (myself included) who have cooked and eaten rabbit.  Whether or
>> not they like it (or if it's available) is a totally different matter.
>

>We never had it when I was a kid. It was an issue similar to lamb for
>my father. He had spent a few years in the UK during the war and was fed
>too much mutton. He had grown up on a rabbit ranch during the Depression
>and ate more than enough rabbit for a lifetime. I have cooked it a
>couple times and had it in restaurants a couple times. It's okay. Given
>the choice of a $10 chicken or a $30 rabbit, I'll buy the chicken.

The first time I ate rabbit was aboard ship... I cooked enough to
realize that it tasted no different than chicken, even the anatomy was
very similar... it arrived frozen, sometimes quartered, sometimes
whole, then I quartered them. It was always prepared breaded and
deep fried; a la Kentucky Fried Bunny.

penm...@aol.com

Jun 30, 2019, 2:01:53 PM6/30/19
All the domestic rabbits I cooked and ate were near the size of a
roasting chicken, 6-7 pounds. The wild rabbits I see here are several
sizes, depending on time of year. As I understand it domestic rabbits
are raised for their meat and their pelts.

A Moose in Love

Jun 30, 2019, 2:08:53 PM6/30/19
On Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 1:44:17 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 11:52:10 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

> >> There ya go again guessing about "most Americans."
> >
> >dsi1 loves making sweeping generalizations. He's mostly wrong.
>
> DumbShitInterloper1 reminds me of the Obamas with his constant put
> downs about Americans... makes me wonder if he was born in Kenya

His sidekick, the memorable Eric Holder said that America is a nation of cowards. What an asshole. Because they don't discuss race? Why should they have to? It's a small wonder no one challenged that prick to a duel. With swords.

penm...@aol.com

Jun 30, 2019, 2:11:42 PM6/30/19
The only rabbit I ever ate was in the Navy, I've never eaten any
since, I haven't even seen it for sale at the local markets, not that
I have any interest, and I'd certaily not pay those prices I see
quoted hare for a furry chicken... in fact the first tenant we had
here had a pet rabbit, I'm pretty sure she got it wild near here... it
got old, died and is buried here in a hedgerow. I'm sure I have a
picture of it in it's cage behind the rental house, I just don't feel
like taking the time to search.

jmcquown

Jun 30, 2019, 2:45:27 PM6/30/19
I'm sure your cats do. Persia's behaviour didn't have anything to do
with the sound of a garage door opening. I didn't have a garage. She
just seemed to know when to expect me home from work. She was likely
sleeping on my bed most of the day. But when it came time for me to get
home, she'd go sit in the window in the front bedroom. Like clockwork.
No garage door noises. She just sort of knew when to go sit there and
look for me.

Jill