Pumpkin Bowl

Cheri

Oct 20, 2014, 2:18:31 PM10/20/14

I just saw this on My Spice Sage and think it looks like kids would like it
too.

Ingredients

1 small pumpkin, about 5 lbs.

1/2 lb.
ground beef

2 Tablespoons
olive oil

1 Tablespoon
flour

3/4 cup
beef broth

1 teaspoon
ground ginger

1 teaspoon
Greek oregano

1 cup
mixed frozen veggies

2 cups
cooked wild rice

3 slices
crisped bacon, crumbled

Directions

Method:

Preheat the oven to 400-degrees. Slice the pumpkin open, reserving the top.
Scoop out the seeds and guts (save those seeds to roast later!). Wash inside
and out, set aside.

Brown the hamburger, drain the grease and rinse the beef. Add back to the
pot and add the olive oil over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour, cook for
about 3 minutes. Stir in the beef broth.

Add the ginger, oregano, veggies, and wild rice. Stir to combine, then add
the bacon.

Pour the hot mix into the empty pumpkin. Replace the top, bake at
400-degrees for 45 minutes.

Serve immediately!

Message has been deleted

Janet Bostwick

Oct 20, 2014, 3:18:38 PM10/20/14
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:11:54 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>As someone who really dislikes pumpkin, I'll sure be glad when this
>damned pumpkin season is over so I don't have to see pumpkin
>milkshakes, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin
>dip, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin pie liquor, pumpkin beer (just threw
>up in my mouth), pumpkin air freshener, pumpkin candles, etc...
>everywhere I look.
>
>Pumpkin season is far worse than my fruitcake aversion. At least I
>don't have to see and hear about fruitcake everywhere I go.
>
>-sw

Pumpkin Foodie Mania is really strong this year.
Janet US
Message has been deleted

Cheri

Oct 20, 2014, 3:58:23 PM10/20/14

"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message

> Pumpkin Foodie Mania is really strong this year.
> Janet US

I like pumpkin in soups etc., but don't like pumpkin pie that much.

Cheri

Moe DeLoughan

Oct 20, 2014, 4:22:11 PM10/20/14
Cheri, a fun twist on this recipe is to replace the single larger
pumpkin with several of the little mini pumpkins for single-serve
portions. Everybody gets a little stuffed pumpkin on their plate.
Also, adding a small amount of cranberries to the filling mixture is
tasty, as is replacing the ground beef with cubed chicken (and the
beef broth with chicken stock or cream sauce).

sf

Oct 20, 2014, 4:30:20 PM10/20/14
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:58:23 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
Really? I adore pumpkin pie. Pumpkin bread is right up there too.

I tried a sip of pumpkin beer last Friday. Meh. And I flat out
refuse to even try a sip of a pumpkin latte. IMO coffee and pumpkin
should not commingle in a cup.

Cheri

Oct 20, 2014, 4:31:04 PM10/20/14

"Moe DeLoughan" <m...@notmine.null> wrote in message
Thanks for the great suggestion. I want to make them with grandchildren
during the holidays. Your suggestions sound tasty, and since the pumpkin is
just the vessel, I imagine they would all like them and could pick which
they would like in theirs. :-)

Cheri

Cheri

Oct 20, 2014, 4:34:12 PM10/20/14

"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message

> Pumpkin Foodie Mania is really strong this year.
> Janet US

I haven't really noticed that it's any different than years past with
Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and other holiday cooking. There are
always a lot of recipes during this time, as someone else said, just like
fruitcake, holiday cookies, puddings, etc.

Cheri

Tara

Oct 20, 2014, 4:38:21 PM10/20/14
That looks fun for Halloween. I wonder if I could make the stuffing and
prep the pumpkin the day before so Halloween dinner is ready to pop in
the oven. I might give it a try!

Tara

sf

Oct 20, 2014, 4:39:04 PM10/20/14
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:22:11 -0500, Moe DeLoughan <m...@notmine.null>
wrote:

> Cheri, a fun twist on this recipe is to replace the single larger
> pumpkin with several of the little mini pumpkins for single-serve
> portions. Everybody gets a little stuffed pumpkin on their plate.
> Also, adding a small amount of cranberries to the filling mixture is
> tasty, as is replacing the ground beef with cubed chicken (and the
> beef broth with chicken stock or cream sauce).

I like your idea with chicken!

Didn't people fill pumpkins with stew 10-20 years ago? I never tried
making it and it wasn't ever served to me, but one of my friends
mentioned going to dinner somewhere when it was done and she said it
was a festive way to celebrate the season.
http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/holidayrecipes/r/carbonadazapall.htm
http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/sugar-pumpkins-filled-vegetable-stew-chipotle-cream-sauce
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pumpkin-Stuffed-with-Vegetable-Stew-240601

Cheri

Oct 20, 2014, 4:39:08 PM10/20/14

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:58:23 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
> wrote:
>

>> "Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
>>
>> > Pumpkin Foodie Mania is really strong this year.
>> > Janet US
>>
>> I like pumpkin in soups etc., but don't like pumpkin pie that much.
>>

> Really? I adore pumpkin pie. Pumpkin bread is right up there too.
>
> I tried a sip of pumpkin beer last Friday. Meh. And I flat out
> refuse to even try a sip of a pumpkin latte. IMO coffee and pumpkin
> should not commingle in a cup.

I don't hate pumpkin pie, but it's not something that I'm wild about, it's
dh's favorite. I do love pumpkin bread with lots of nuts and raisins. I like
Alton Brown's recipe, it always turns out great. I saw the pumpkin beer
recently and was curious, I don't think I've ever had coffee and pumpkin
flavor.

Cheri

Yeff

Oct 20, 2014, 4:46:02 PM10/20/14
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:30:20 -0700, sf wrote:

>> I like pumpkin in soups etc., but don't like pumpkin pie that much.
>>

> Really? I adore pumpkin pie. Pumpkin bread is right up there too.

I can only tolerate pumpkin pie. I take a bite expecting it to taste
like my mom's sweet potato pie because that's what it looks like. Of
course it doesn't taste like sweet potato pie so it seems "off" to my
taste buds.

The problem is in my head. I'm sure the pies are very good, I just
can't turn off my expectations.

--

-Jeff B.
zoo...@fastmail.fm

"Excuse me.
I don't mean to impose,
but I am the Ocean."

~ The Salton Sea

sf

Oct 20, 2014, 4:47:49 PM10/20/14
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:39:08 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

> I saw the pumpkin beer recently and was curious,

It comes in a 12 pack (?) holiday assortment of various beers.

> I don't think I've ever had coffee and pumpkin flavor.

DD actually told me that the holiday season doesn't begin for her
until she's had her first (Starbucks) pumpkin latte. gah!

sf

Oct 20, 2014, 6:02:05 PM10/20/14
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:46:02 -0400, Yeff <zoo...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:30:20 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> >> I like pumpkin in soups etc., but don't like pumpkin pie that much.
> >>

> > Really? I adore pumpkin pie. Pumpkin bread is right up there too.
>
> I can only tolerate pumpkin pie. I take a bite expecting it to taste
> like my mom's sweet potato pie because that's what it looks like. Of
> course it doesn't taste like sweet potato pie so it seems "off" to my
> taste buds.
>
> The problem is in my head. I'm sure the pies are very good, I just
> can't turn off my expectations.

I know what you mean because I experience it in the reverse with sweet
potato pie. :)

Julie Bove

Oct 20, 2014, 6:41:36 PM10/20/14

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
Wow. That just does not sound tasty to me at all. I wouldn't have eaten it
as a kid as I didn't like pumpkin or wild rice. But maybe some kids would.

Julie Bove

Oct 20, 2014, 6:42:31 PM10/20/14

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> As someone who really dislikes pumpkin, I'll sure be glad when this
> damned pumpkin season is over so I don't have to see pumpkin
> milkshakes, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin
> dip, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin pie liquor, pumpkin beer (just threw
> up in my mouth), pumpkin air freshener, pumpkin candles, etc...
> everywhere I look.
>
> Pumpkin season is far worse than my fruitcake aversion. At least I
> don't have to see and hear about fruitcake everywhere I go.

Yeah. I can live without pumpkin. It's okay. Just okay. But if I never
ate another one I'd survive just fine. Have you seen the joke ads for the
pumpkin spice tampons?

Julie Bove

Oct 20, 2014, 6:43:13 PM10/20/14

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:39:08 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I saw the pumpkin beer recently and was curious,
>
> It comes in a 12 pack (?) holiday assortment of various beers.
>
>> I don't think I've ever had coffee and pumpkin flavor.
>
> DD actually told me that the holiday season doesn't begin for her
> until she's had her first (Starbucks) pumpkin latte. gah!

Angela tried a sample but didn't like it.

Julie Bove

Oct 20, 2014, 6:44:02 PM10/20/14

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
I've noticed it and it's bad! Target has an aisle that is almost all
pumpkin flavored stuff.

Message has been deleted

Cheri

Oct 21, 2014, 1:09:40 AM10/21/14

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:39:08 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I saw the pumpkin beer recently and was curious,
>
> It comes in a 12 pack (?) holiday assortment of various beers.
>
>> I don't think I've ever had coffee and pumpkin flavor.
>
> DD actually told me that the holiday season doesn't begin for her
> until she's had her first (Starbucks) pumpkin latte. gah!

There's a Starbucks about two blocks from me, but I've never been there, so
I might just have to check that out once during the holidays and see what
it's like.

Cheri

Cheri

Oct 21, 2014, 1:15:30 AM10/21/14

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
Same as any other year that I've seen, but I couldn't help noticing all the
decorated Christmas trees in early October. Now, that gets old.

Cheri

sf

Oct 21, 2014, 2:04:13 AM10/21/14
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 22:09:40 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
Brace yourself, it's expensive! If you stick to a regular cup of
coffee, the cost is reasonable - but who (other than me) does that?
If you want to treat yourself to something special, buy a pound of
their Indonesian or African coffee bean blends and brew it at home.

Julie Bove

Oct 21, 2014, 3:27:47 AM10/21/14

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
All holidays are getting old to me. *sigh*

Message has been deleted

Bregs

Oct 21, 2014, 1:51:46 PM10/21/14
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:11:54 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> At least I
> don't have to see and hear about fruitcake everywhere I go.

> I have space for rent inside Barbara's head. It's priced to
> move - well below market price.

> I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
> the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
> I'll give it to you.

> You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat fuck asshole.
> You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.
>
> You lose again.
>
> -sw

Bregs

Oct 21, 2014, 1:52:59 PM10/21/14
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 23:12:21 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> -sw <ducking>

Brooklyn1

Oct 22, 2014, 8:22:38 AM10/22/14
Sqwertz wrote:
>l not -l wrote:
>>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> As someone who really dislikes pumpkin, I'll sure be glad when this
>>> damned pumpkin season is over so I don't have to see pumpkin
>>> milkshakes, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin
>>> dip, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin pie liquor, pumpkin beer (just threw
>>> up in my mouth), pumpkin air freshener, pumpkin candles, etc...
>>> everywhere I look.
>>>
>>> Pumpkin season is far worse than my fruitcake aversion. At least I
>>> don't have to see and hear about fruitcake everywhere I go.
>>
>> +1. I am so sick of seeing pumpkin this-that-and-the-other-thing - stuff
>> that, IMHO, should never be pumpkin flavored. Pumpkin-frenzy is another
>> example of the horrid effects of Starbuckism.
>>
>> There, I feel better - at least until I go somewhere and see another pumpkin
>> abomination. 8-(
>
>So then you probably don't want to know that tomorrow (or 'today' for
>most of you - October 21st) is National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day.
>
>-sw <ducking>

Consider you don't need to scoop pumpkin cat poops:
http://i59.tinypic.com/28arw60.jpg
Canned pumpkin mixed with their canned food helps cats to pass
hairballs... better than wiping thm off the floor. The canned corned
beef was on sale so figured I'd try it again after more than 50 years,
soon as I opened the can I knew, it schtinks so bad! Gonna try
feeding it to the barn cats when it gets cold enough to freeze witch's
tiddys... notice it still needs a key to open.
Message has been deleted

Bregs

Oct 23, 2014, 2:07:37 PM10/23/14
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:00:20 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> You mean trichobezoars?
Message has been deleted

sf

Oct 25, 2014, 3:19:26 PM10/25/14
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 17:00:01 GMT, "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> The most egregious example of seasonal pumpkin silliness I've seen recently
> is .... Pumpkin Sloppy Joes. The recipe appeared in a number of newspapers
> this week, including the online version of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
> (stltoday.com).

Looked it up and it wasn't at all what I expected. I thought squash
would be the star of the show, but it's just a supporting player.
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/what-s-for-dinner-tonight-pumpkin-sloppy-joes/article_b0545f76-1077-5e33-95c8-b15a40cd90a2.html

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Message has been deleted

Moe DeLoughan

Oct 29, 2014, 9:45:27 AM10/29/14
On 10/25/2014 5:02 PM, l not -l wrote:

> Yes, that's part of the silliness, IMO; pumpkin or pumpkin pie spices added
> to any and all manner of things - just to make it "seasonal". What next,
> turkey stuffing flavor everything - turkey stuffing bread-pudding anyone?

I'll vote for that!

Kate Connally

Oct 30, 2014, 6:00:01 PM10/30/14
On Monday, October 20, 2014 3:11:54 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> As someone who really dislikes pumpkin, I'll sure be glad when this
> damned pumpkin season is over so I don't have to see pumpkin
> milkshakes, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin
> dip, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin pie liquor, pumpkin beer (just threw
> up in my mouth), pumpkin air freshener, pumpkin candles, etc...
> everywhere I look.
>
> Pumpkin season is far worse than my fruitcake aversion. At least I
> don't have to see and hear about fruitcake everywhere I go.
>
> -sw

Used to be I would only eat pumpkin in pumpkin pie, and it had to be my recipe -
I've tried other people's versions and the spices aren't right. I've always used the recipe on the Libby's pumpkin can. (And, yeah, I know it's not really pumpkin in the pumpkin can. ;-) Anyway, I now will eat savory pumpkin recipes,
although probably won't cook them myself as pumpkin is a pita to clean. So I would just sub butternut squash in a pumpkin recipe. So I don't like pumpkin
sweet things like cookies, cakes, etc.

Kate

Julie Bove

Oct 31, 2014, 5:10:57 AM10/31/14

"Kate Connally" <connal...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I've had pumpkin bread before. It's okay but I could live without it. But
this year seems far worse than others in terms of things pumpkin. It's in
Pop Tarts, granola bars, cookies, cakes, muffins...