Apples & onions

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 15, 2017, 9:43:13 PM1/15/17
Made them tonight. Inspired by a Bobby Flay dish he made with sausage,
I made it tonight to go with a pork roast.

Sliced and onion and stated it in a pan with butter.

Cut up two apples. The onions were translucent at that point as they
would take longer than the apples. I let them cook together a few minutes
I added a big glug of maple syrup, then a glug of cider vinegar. Let it
cook and reduce a bit.

It was a nice combination and went well with the pork.

Yeah, I'll do it again.

Gary

Jan 16, 2017, 9:57:08 AM1/16/17
I can see that and I've saved this to try with pork roast next time.

Speaking of Bobby Flay. His show, "Beat Bobby Flay," is the only
competition show that I enjoy these days. All the others have
turned very stupid (and that's being nice).

The BBF is a true and equal competition.
First is the competitors - use this one ingredient and
make your best dish highlighting it.

Then the winner gets to compete with him and choosing their
own signature dish.

I do watch this one. Even look forward to it.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 16, 2017, 6:21:49 PM1/16/17
On 1/16/2017 9:56 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Made them tonight. Inspired by a Bobby Flay dish he made with sausage,
>> I made it tonight to go with a pork roast.
>>
>> Sliced and onion and stated it in a pan with butter.
>>
>> Cut up two apples. The onions were translucent at that point as they
>> would take longer than the apples. I let them cook together a few minutes
>> I added a big glug of maple syrup, then a glug of cider vinegar. Let it
>> cook and reduce a bit.
>>
>> It was a nice combination and went well with the pork.
>
> I can see that and I've saved this to try with pork roast next time.

I had the leftover with my lunch today. I'm going to tr it one day with
the sausage and waffles. It would make a great breakfast or a dinner.
Can be made ahead so you just have to make the waffles.

> Speaking of Bobby Flay. His show, "Beat Bobby Flay," is the only
> competition show that I enjoy these days. All the others have
> turned very stupid (and that's being nice).
>
> The BBF is a true and equal competition.
> First is the competitors - use this one ingredient and
> make your best dish highlighting it.
>
> Then the winner gets to compete with him and choosing their
> own signature dish.
>
> I do watch this one. Even look forward to it.

He also loses on occasion and takes it well. I do watch it at times too.

graham

Jan 16, 2017, 6:54:50 PM1/16/17
On 2017-01-16 4:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/16/2017 9:56 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> Made them tonight. Inspired by a Bobby Flay dish he made with sausage,
>>> I made it tonight to go with a pork roast.
>>>
>>> Sliced and onion and stated it in a pan with butter.
>>>
>>> Cut up two apples. The onions were translucent at that point as they
>>> would take longer than the apples. I let them cook together a few
>>> minutes
>>> I added a big glug of maple syrup, then a glug of cider vinegar. Let it
>>> cook and reduce a bit.
>>>
>>> It was a nice combination and went well with the pork.
>>
>> I can see that and I've saved this to try with pork roast next time.
>

> I had the leftover with my lunch today. I'm going to tr it one day with
> the sausage and waffles. It would make a great breakfast or a dinner.
> Can be made ahead so you just have to make the waffles.

By coincidence, I came across this recipe over the w/e. It is from Laura
Calder's book: "Paris Express". I tried to find her recipe online but
failed. her it is from the book:

Apple and red onion compote
2 royal gala apples
2 granny smith apples
1 medium red onion, sliced
a handful of fresh thyme leaves
55g butter in small dice
s&p
1 tsp cider vinegar

Cut each apple into 8 wedges and remove the core. Put a layer of apples
in a medium saucepan followed by a layer of onion, thyme and butter
Season with s&p. Repeat layering until all the ingredients have been
used up. Sprinkle with the vinegar. Cover and cook on low heat until the
apples and onion are tender.

Nancy2

Jan 17, 2017, 8:42:25 AM1/17/17
Apples and pork (like applesauce, too) are a classic combo. I am
not surprised that you found it tasty with the addition of onion.

N.

sf

Jan 17, 2017, 11:37:55 AM1/17/17
On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 16:54:44 -0700, graham <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> By coincidence, I came across this recipe over the w/e. It is from Laura
> Calder's book: "Paris Express". I tried to find her recipe online but
> failed. her it is from the book:
>
> Apple and red onion compote
> 2 royal gala apples
> 2 granny smith apples
> 1 medium red onion, sliced
> a handful of fresh thyme leaves
> 55g butter in small dice
> s&p
> 1 tsp cider vinegar

Thank you. I have half an already cooked pork loin in the freezer
waiting for me to do something with it and that sounds like a great
accompaniment.
> Cut each apple into 8 wedges and remove the core. Put a layer of apples
> in a medium saucepan followed by a layer of onion, thyme and butter
> Season with s&p. Repeat layering until all the ingredients have been
> used up. Sprinkle with the vinegar. Cover and cook on low heat until the
> apples and onion are tender.

sf

Jan 17, 2017, 11:39:47 AM1/17/17
I made a savory galette once of apples, onions, and sausage. I
thought it was great, but hubby didn't (In his mind pies need to be
sweet) - so I haven't made it again.