Why Costco might never raise prices on $4.99 chickens, $1.50 hot dogs

Janet B

May 29, 2015, 8:35:43โ€ฏPM5/29/15
Message has been deleted

Julie Bove

May 29, 2015, 9:30:11โ€ฏPM5/29/15

"Janet B" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
news:n71imaphe3ju3plg3...@4ax.com...
Yep. That was on some documentary I saw a couple of years ago or so. Sadly
they would rather cut the quality so they can keep those things cheap.

Julie Bove

May 29, 2015, 9:30:54โ€ฏPM5/29/15

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> Excerpt:
>
> "Whatโ€™s puzzling to some is that rotisserie chickens cost more than
> uncooked chicken...."
>
> I don't find that puzzling at all.
>
> The rotisserie chickens at Costco are smaller than the chickens at HEB
> for $5.99.
>
> -sw

Seriously? Do those people think that the chickens just cook themselves?

dsi1

May 29, 2015, 9:39:11โ€ฏPM5/29/15
It's a pretty good strategy especially over here. It would cost me $9 to
$12 to buy a raw chicken. I never buy raw, whole, chicken these days.

Pete C.

May 29, 2015, 9:45:59โ€ฏPM5/29/15
Yes, the cook themselves without using any natural gas, electricity,
seasonings, or equipment that requires maintenance either... Duh!

sf

May 29, 2015, 10:32:37โ€ฏPM5/29/15
On Fri, 29 May 2015 18:35:36 -0600, Janet B <nos...@cableone.net>
wrote:
We've known about the hot dog strategy for a long time and have
noticed that rotisserie chicken hasn't increased in price either.
Good for them and goody for us. We never make hot dogs at home and
Costco trips are rare for us, so I order a hot dog (which I don't
think is as good as when they used Nathan's) every time we decide to
eat there too. We also take a rotisserie chicken home most of the
time, because it's a nice snack/lunch/ingredient for stock/soup etc.

--

sf

sf

May 29, 2015, 11:05:36โ€ฏPM5/29/15
Those HEB chickens must be the size of small turkeys if they are
bigger than what we get here.

--

sf

sf

May 29, 2015, 11:08:33โ€ฏPM5/29/15
Rotisserie chickens are the only ones we buy whole these days too.
Hubby prefers Safeway's seasoning (even though it's a smaller chicken
and they charge more for it). There are no more $5 Friday (whole)
rotisserie chickens at Safeway anymore.

--

sf
Message has been deleted

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 6:01:40โ€ฏAM5/30/15
This is a funny, quirky, trend of the times we live in - cheap roast chicken, expensive raw chicken.

Brooklyn1

May 30, 2015, 12:48:07โ€ฏPM5/30/15
On Fri, 29 May 2015 22:46:53 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:
>Costco rotisserie chickens weigh 3 pounds. That's a pre-cooked weight
>of MAYBE 3.25lbs not including the 17% solution they're injected with.
>Those are pretty small chickens. I can't even find a chicken under
>4lbs at the grocery store.

You need to look in the dwarf chicken section.
http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-broiler-fryer-roaster-and-other-types-of-chickens-ingredient-intelligence-47323

Brooklyn1

May 30, 2015, 1:16:18โ€ฏPM5/30/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 03:01:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
"Rotisserie" is not a chicken *size*... rotisserie is a cooking method
unrelated to size, any size chicken can be rotisseried... a whole 300
pound pig can be rotisseried, "sf"!

I've never found where raw whole chicken costs more per pound than
rotisseried chicken. I see raw roasting chickens on sale all the time
at under $1/pound... rotisserie chicken is usually on sale for between
$5-$6... but they are rather small... typically they are
broilers/fryers, were about 3 pounds raw, and like all size chickens
lose about 25% of weight during cooking and of that about half is
waste plus they are packaged hot off the spit so when they get home
they are sitting in a big puddle of drippings. I will occasioanlly
buy a rotisseried chicken but they are really not much of a meal, for
me and a couple of cats it's just a snack, and often they are over
salted... because those are the chickens past their selling date, they
cna sell them cooked but not raw. I always offer that chicken to my
cats first, if they won't eat it neither will I, cats will know it's
spoiled.

Janet B

May 30, 2015, 1:42:40โ€ฏPM5/30/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 13:16:13 -0400, Brooklyn1
<grave...@verizon.net> wrote:
snip
I will occasionally
>buy a rotisseried chicken but they are really not much of a meal, for
>me and a couple of cats it's just a snack, and often they are over
>salted... because those are the chickens past their selling date, they
>cna sell them cooked but not raw. I always offer that chicken to my
>cats first, if they won't eat it neither will I, cats will know it's
>spoiled.

The stores do not pick out their spoiling chickens to use on the
rotisserie. They buy the rotisserie chickens by sized preferred,
already marinated and ready for the rotisserie. These chickens never
appear at the raw chicken sales counter.
Janet US

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 1:47:23โ€ฏPM5/30/15
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 7:16:18 AM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2015 03:01:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <the...@yahoo.com>
Chicken at a dollar a pound? I'd get some but my time machine is on the blink and I can't go back to the 70s. Looks like I'm stuck with the prices we got now. Too bad!
Message has been deleted

spamtr...@gmail.com

May 30, 2015, 2:20:22โ€ฏPM5/30/15
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 8:46:57 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 29 May 2015 20:05:31 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> Costco rotisserie chickens weigh 3 pounds. That's a pre-cooked weight
> of MAYBE 3.25lbs not including the 17% solution they're injected with.
> Those are pretty small chickens. I can't even find a chicken under
> 4lbs at the grocery store.
>
> The last HEB rotisserie chicken I brought home weighed 4.23lbs.
> That's about 30% bigger than Costco.

No, Costco rotisserie chickens here are quite large, much bigger than
Safeway's. Maybe there is a different supplier for the Lone Star State?
Or is HEB's the biggest supermarket chicken in the country?

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 2:39:41โ€ฏPM5/30/15

"Janet B" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
Very true.

Cheri

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 2:42:39โ€ฏPM5/30/15

<spamtr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
========

I think the Costco rotisserie chickens are wonderful, fairly large in CA
where I am. Love them. I really don't care much for other supermarkets
rotisserie chickens at all, overpriced and underwhelming IMO.

Cheri

Janet B

May 30, 2015, 3:48:20โ€ฏPM5/30/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 10:47:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

snip

>Chicken at a dollar a pound? I'd get some but my time machine is on the blink and I can't go back to the 70s. Looks like I'm stuck with the prices we got now. Too bad!

$.99/pound here>
Janet US (Intermountain West)

sf

May 30, 2015, 3:59:47โ€ฏPM5/30/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 11:42:36 -0600, Janet B <nos...@cableone.net>
wrote:
He's feeding his fantasies.

--

sf

sf

May 30, 2015, 4:01:25โ€ฏPM5/30/15
wrote:

> Chicken at a dollar a pound? I'd get some but my time machine is on the blink and I can't go back to the 70s. Looks like I'm stuck with the prices we got now. Too bad!

Same here. It simply doesn't happen. If he can really buy them at $1
lb, it reflects how depressed salaries are in his neck of the woods.

--

sf

Nancy Young

May 30, 2015, 4:10:59โ€ฏPM5/30/15
On 5/30/2015 2:41 PM, Cheri wrote:

> I think the Costco rotisserie chickens are wonderful, fairly large in CA
> where I am. Love them. I really don't care much for other supermarkets
> rotisserie chickens at all, overpriced and underwhelming IMO.

Costco chickens are large where I live, too, they aren't what I'd
call small at all. Not overdone, either, the way I've seen
some stores sell them.

I'm more inclined to pick one up during the warmer months when
it's nice to have a chicken without using the oven.

nancy

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 4:38:03โ€ฏPM5/30/15
I'm suspecting that some posters here live in an alternate dimension
where the things they state as fact are actually true. Possibly they
live 30 years behind our time - in the 80s or thereabouts. :-)

Nunya Bidnits

May 30, 2015, 4:55:00โ€ฏPM5/30/15

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

>Costco chickens are large where I live, too, they aren't what
>I'd
>call small at all. Not overdone, either, the way I've seen
>some stores sell them.

The Costco rotisseries in the three stores around here are quite
large. Seems like I saw something saying they were at least 5 lb
birds minimum.

Nancy Young

May 30, 2015, 6:01:13โ€ฏPM5/30/15
I was confused by someone saying they were small chickens.
At least where I live, they are big birds. Anyone who
searches on costco rotisserie chickens and click on images
will get the idea.

They are brined first, I believe.

nancy

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 6:04:34โ€ฏPM5/30/15
Don't listen to any poster that has no experience with those things they
claim to have expertise in. Well, that's my rule anyway. :-)

jmcquown

May 30, 2015, 6:34:56โ€ฏPM5/30/15
All I can think of when I read about rotisserie chickens is my mother
asking us (John and I) to pick one up on the last leg of the trip to the
house in SC. My sweet cat Persia was strapped in her carrier in the
back seat. She had refused to eat the entire trip; she did not like
travel. :) We picked up a rotisserie chicken, I'm guessing it was
around $5. My poor cat. The chicken was sitting on the back seat next
to her. She had refused to eat the entire trip. There was the chicken,
wafting lovely scents. Poor Persia must have felt like she was being
tortured.

Jill

Janet B

May 30, 2015, 6:40:54โ€ฏPM5/30/15
They are huge chickens here.
Janet US

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 7:55:26โ€ฏPM5/30/15

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
I buy them at .99 a pound just about weekly. I'm in Northern CA, but not the
Bay Area.

Cheri

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 7:56:40โ€ฏPM5/30/15

"Nancy Young" <rjynlyo...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> [...]
Me too, and they translate really well into chicken salad, and chicken soup
too.

Cheri

Brooklyn1

May 30, 2015, 8:02:39โ€ฏPM5/30/15
Sqwertz/Dwarf wrote:
>Janet B wrote:
>>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> I will occasionally
>>>buy a rotisseried chicken but they are really not much of a meal, for
>>>me and a couple of cats it's just a snack, and often they are over
>>>salted... because those are the chickens past their selling date, they
>>>cna sell them cooked but not raw. I always offer that chicken to my
>>>cats first, if they won't eat it neither will I, cats will know it's
>>>spoiled.
>>>
>> The stores do not pick out their spoiling chickens to use on the
>> rotisserie. They buy the rotisserie chickens by sized preferred,
>> already marinated and ready for the rotisserie. These chickens never
>> appear at the raw chicken sales counter.
>
>And we've explained to his paranoid ass a dozen times already.

You're full of dwarf shit... you know damned well that stupidmarkets
send all their expired chickens to the deli section for rotisseried.
In fact they sell expired foods to the local restaurants too, that's
how they get the higher quantity discount from the wholesaler by
ordering more than they know they can sell on their own... retailers
do that with all products. That's why the local mom n' pop retailers
line up in early morning to buy whatever didn't sell the day before.
Folks make fun of "used meat" but that's exactly what they pay top
dollar for when they eat at local steak houses.

Brooklyn1

May 30, 2015, 8:22:21โ€ฏPM5/30/15
Yeah, right... folks are buying 5 pound rotisseried chickens for
$5 but they can't buy the same chickens uncooked for $1/lb. Sicko!

spamtr...@gmail.com

May 30, 2015, 9:00:54โ€ฏPM5/30/15
Hold the phone and stop the presses! Brooklyn is correct!

Whole body chickens go on sale by me for 99 cents a pound all the time.
But often, they are in short supply.

As far as Hawaii goes, everything is expensive there, because almost
everything has to be flown in.

Julie Bove

May 30, 2015, 9:17:41โ€ฏPM5/30/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
I don't know why but my family hates the stuff. I thought the first time it
was because it was on the bone. But then I bought it at Costco off the bone
and I was told that it tasted disgusting. They will eat canned for chicken
salad though.

Ed Pawlowski

May 30, 2015, 10:26:32โ€ฏPM5/30/15
Last week they were 69 cents at Market Basket. Back to $1.19 though
http://www.mydemoulas.net/next-week/4/

Buck a pound is fairly common though.

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 10:58:55โ€ฏPM5/30/15

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
Very common, at least every two to three weeks Foster Farms goes on sale for
.99 a pound at one of the stores in town, legs and thigh portions cheaper.

Cheri

Julie Bove

May 31, 2015, 12:19:57โ€ฏAM5/31/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
Here the legs at Safeway are $1.79 per pound. Frozen thighs are $1.65.
Foster Farms Whole is $1.69 per pound.

sf

May 31, 2015, 12:30:31โ€ฏAM5/31/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 16:54:27 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
So near and yet so FAR away! :)

--

sf

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 2:06:05โ€ฏAM5/31/15
On 5/30/2015 4:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Last week they were 69 cents at Market Basket. Back to $1.19 though
> http://www.mydemoulas.net/next-week/4/
>
> Buck a pound is fairly common though.

Maybe I'm the one living in an alternate reality! For instance, right
now, I'm eating a haupia pie from McDonald's. :-)

I have seen thighs and leg sections going for $.99/lb. I don't know why
they're so cheap but I've never bought one of those. Mostly I buy thighs
these days.

Cheri

May 31, 2015, 2:18:35โ€ฏAM5/31/15

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Truly. I am shocked by the price difference for almost everything in those
short 85 miles. My oldest daughter lived in San Leandro and Fremont for many
years and the rents and cost of living even in those cities just was mind
boggling.

Cheri

Message has been deleted

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 2:46:00โ€ฏAM5/31/15
On 5/30/2015 8:29 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2015 20:06:02 -1000, dsi1
> <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 5/30/2015 4:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> Last week they were 69 cents at Market Basket. Back to $1.19 though
>>> http://www.mydemoulas.net/next-week/4/
>>>
>>> Buck a pound is fairly common though.
>>>

>> Maybe I'm the one living in an alternate reality! For instance, right
>> now, I'm eating a haupia pie from McDonald's. :-)
>
> My guess is that whenever there'll be a world wide famine, we'll all
> be only too happy that there is such a thing as McDonald's! Heehee!

My guess is that in the coming decades, meat will become prohibitively
expensive. For some folks, it already is. Say goodbye to meat. Hee hee.
Message has been deleted

Julie Bove

May 31, 2015, 3:30:03โ€ฏAM5/31/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
The price of chicken was insane when I lived in Alameda. My dad surmised
that it had to do with the people who lived in that area. I lived in
military housing so I was surrounded by mostly white people. But right
outside of where we lived, most of the population was black. And according
to my dad, they love to eat chicken. That may come across as stereotypical
but he may well have been right. There was a nearby KFC and they sold
greens. I've never seen those on a KFC menu anywhere else. I did notice
that the demand for chicken at the nearby Lucky/Albertsons was so great that
there was more of it available for sale than any other meat!

Julie Bove

May 31, 2015, 3:31:02โ€ฏAM5/31/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
When I was poor, that was the first thing I gave up. I bought it only when
I had company over for dinner. Never for myself.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 5:06:54โ€ฏAM5/31/15
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 9:02:02 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2015 20:45:56 -1000, dsi1
> My guess is that meat is so cheap that people would still buy it if it
> was twice as expensive. Hee hee.
>
> --
> Bruce

Hee hee, I was at the Safeway looking at some meat in the mark-down bin. It was forty bucks for 3 steaks. I said to the lady next to me "imagine that, a forty dollar package of meat. She said it was marked down 50% but neither of us picked it up. I wouldn't buy that meat at half the price, would you be willing to pay $80 for some steaks? Who the heck would?

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 5:08:32โ€ฏAM5/31/15
I'm not that fond of meat either.
Message has been deleted

Ophelia

May 31, 2015, 5:57:56โ€ฏAM5/31/15

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Nor am I, but hubby likes it. I eat very little of it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Julie Bove

May 31, 2015, 7:24:53โ€ฏAM5/31/15

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I only eat it because I tend to go anemic if I don't. Actually, I might not
now at the age that I am. Dunno.

Ed Pawlowski

May 31, 2015, 9:35:24โ€ฏAM5/31/15
On 5/31/2015 5:06 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> Hee hee, I was at the Safeway looking at some meat in the mark-down bin. It was forty bucks for 3 steaks. I said to the lady next to me "imagine that, a forty dollar package of meat. She said it was marked down 50% but neither of us picked it up. I wouldn't buy that meat at half the price, would you be willing to pay $80 for some steaks? Who the heck would?

There is steak and there is steak. Yes, I'd pay it for the right ones.
Last week I bought a whole rib eye and had it cut into 1" steaks.
That was $162 for 13 of them. $12.46 each. Add another $15 to $20 for
a bottle of wine and it is a pricey meal for two. But I'm worth it and
so is my wife. .

Gary

May 31, 2015, 10:34:32โ€ฏAM5/31/15
Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote:
> > I'm not that fond of meat either.
>
> Nor am I, but hubby likes it. I eat very little of it.

"Really Cory!?" I know you both hunt rabbits in season. I do hope you
grind and try a rabbit-burger next fall and report back. No doubt you
will have to add in some kind of fat as wild ones are so lean. :-)

Ophelia

May 31, 2015, 10:59:28โ€ฏAM5/31/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:556B1C1F...@att.net...
I haven't forgotten you but we haven't been away yet this year. Long story
to do with our new dog with a lot of problems.

And yes, I always add fat to very lean meats.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Janet B

May 31, 2015, 11:13:47โ€ฏAM5/31/15
On Sun, 31 May 2015 03:03:18 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Sat, 30 May 2015 16:40:47 -0600, Janet B wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 30 May 2015 18:00:59 -0400, Nancy Young
>> <rjynlyo...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>>I was confused by someone saying they were small chickens.
>>>At least where I live, they are big birds. Anyone who
>>>searches on costco rotisserie chickens and click on images
>>>will get the idea.
>>>
>>>They are brined first, I believe.
>>>
>>>nancy
>> They are huge chickens here.
>> Janet US
>
><snork>
>
>I challenge everyone here to take a picture of a Costco Chicken on a
>scale. No bare chicken will tare at over 3.5 pounds. You must show
>the cavity.
>
>I love Costco, but this chicken-mania is ridiculous.
>
>-sw

It must seem visually huge then, in comparison to what other stores
offer for the same price or more. I had planned on checking when next
I got to Costco.
Janet US

Nunya Bidnits

May 31, 2015, 11:35:02โ€ฏAM5/31/15

"Sqwertz" wrote in message news:2dymtkzy...@sqwertz.com...

>According to Costco they weigh 3 to 3.25 pounds. And I'd bet
>my left
>testicle that's pretty standard from Bangor to Chula Vista.

Next time I buy one I'll try to remember to stick it on a scale
when I get home.

MartyB

Nunya Bidnits

May 31, 2015, 11:41:42โ€ฏAM5/31/15

"Sqwertz" wrote in message

>On Sat, 30 May 2015 12:04:35 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

>> Don't listen to any poster that has no experience with those
>> things they
>> claim to have expertise in. Well, that's my rule anyway. :-)

>How profound. Can I get an engraved statue of you sitting on a
>pedestal?

He just described the bulk of his posting history with that
comment. Thatโ€™s a truckload of irony there.

I don't know why people pick on Julie when ds1 is so proficient
at prolifically posting total BS. The phrase "My guess is"
pretty much guarantees he's about to start feeding the BS.

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 1:33:25โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:33:03 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> No, I guess I wouldn't pay $80 or $40. But I often see prices
> mentioned here like $1 (or even if it's $5) for a pound of chicken
> legs etc. Granted that they're tortured factory chickens, but if you
> don't care about that, it's dirt cheap. Hee hee.
>
> --
> Bruce

It's a crime what we do to those poor chickens - OTOH, their problem is they're too tasty. With the rise in meat prices, I've been buying a lot of pork. Soon that's gonna get too high and I'll be eating eggs, I guess.

OTOH, the Safeway had a sale yesterday. 3-12oz packages of bacon for $5. The price was so low that it was disorienting. Hee hee.

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 1:37:27โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:57:56 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" < wrote in message
> > On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 9:31:02 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> "dsi1" <> wrote in message

> >> When I was poor, that was the first thing I gave up. I bought it only
> >> when
> >> I had company over for dinner. Never for myself.
> >
> > I'm not that fond of meat either.
>
> Nor am I, but hubby likes it. I eat very little of it.

Mostly I like a good discount on meat. That would be the best kind.

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 1:39:16โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 1:24:53 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message
> > On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 9:31:02 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> "dsi1" <> wrote in message

> >> When I was poor, that was the first thing I gave up. I bought it only
> >> when
> >> I had company over for dinner. Never for myself.
> >
> > I'm not that fond of meat either.
>
> I only eat it because I tend to go anemic if I don't. Actually, I might not
> now at the age that I am. Dunno.

Therapeutic meat. Hee hee.

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 1:40:26โ€ฏPM5/31/15
Say, you really love meat!

taxed and spent

May 31, 2015, 1:45:23โ€ฏPM5/31/15

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
I do the same thing. But I keep the whole strip in the fridge and cut off
steaks as I need them for a while, the cut the rest and freeze them. Why?
So when a buddy comes over I can pull it out, steel up the scimitar, and say
"hey, want a couple of steaks to cook for your wife tonight?" Cheap enough
to give away to a good buddy now and then.

taxed and spent

May 31, 2015, 1:46:47โ€ฏPM5/31/15

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
yep, I never wanted to take the chance with anemia.

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 2:06:17โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 7:46:47 AM UTC-10, taxed and spent wrote:

> yep, I never wanted to take the chance with anemia.

I'm thinking you could use pieces of iron to help with that. Just add some nails to stuff you boil. Maybe cook some rice with nails. Take out the nails before eating though. :-)

taxed and spent

May 31, 2015, 2:16:47โ€ฏPM5/31/15

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
interesting thought, but beef has been working just fine so far!

sf

May 31, 2015, 2:27:36โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sun, 31 May 2015 09:13:43 -0600, Janet B <nos...@cableone.net>
wrote:

> It must seem visually huge then, in comparison to what other stores
> offer for the same price or more. I had planned on checking when next
> I got to Costco.

Costco rotisserie chickens are big and he's making an argument where
none exists. Costco's are 3+ pounds, compared to the rotisserie
chickens grocery stores sell that are well under 3 pounds - more like
2-2.5. What really ticks me off is whole chickens are those 3+ pound
giants now (a size I don't want anymore) and when I needed the big
ones to feed four, whole chickens were 2.5 lb (if I ever got that
lucky and found one that big). Of course, we had locally produced
chicken back then too so they didn't have to produce monsters just to
turn a profit.

--

sf

sf

May 31, 2015, 2:29:20โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 22:26:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

> On 5/30/2015 4:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On 5/30/2015 10:01 AM, sf wrote:

> >> Same here. It simply doesn't happen. If he can really buy them at $1
> >> lb, it reflects how depressed salaries are in his neck of the woods.
> >>

> > I'm suspecting that some posters here live in an alternate dimension
> > where the things they state as fact are actually true. Possibly they
> > live 30 years behind our time - in the 80s or thereabouts. :-)
>
> Last week they were 69 cents at Market Basket. Back to $1.19 though
> http://www.mydemoulas.net/next-week/4/
>
> Buck a pound is fairly common though.

Cheap chicken must be the lure they use to get customers in the door.

--

sf

sf

May 31, 2015, 2:30:05โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 19:58:21 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message

> >> I'm suspecting that some posters here live in an alternate dimension
> >> where the things they state as fact are actually true. Possibly they
> >> live 30 years behind our time - in the 80s or thereabouts. :-)
> >
> > Last week they were 69 cents at Market Basket. Back to $1.19 though
> > http://www.mydemoulas.net/next-week/4/
> >
> > Buck a pound is fairly common though.
>
> Very common, at least every two to three weeks Foster Farms goes on sale for
> .99 a pound at one of the stores in town, legs and thigh portions cheaper.

Not here. Same state, just a couple of hours away.

--

sf

sf

May 31, 2015, 2:33:10โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 21:19:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

> "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message

> >> Last week they were 69 cents at Market Basket. Back to $1.19 though
> >> http://www.mydemoulas.net/next-week/4/
> >>
> >> Buck a pound is fairly common though.
> >
> > Very common, at least every two to three weeks Foster Farms goes on sale
> > for .99 a pound at one of the stores in town, legs and thigh portions
> > cheaper.
> >
> > Cheri
>
> Here the legs at Safeway are $1.79 per pound. Frozen thighs are $1.65.
> Foster Farms Whole is $1.69 per pound.

Safeway brand thighs are "the low everyday price" of $2.99 lb here.
They used to go on sale occasionally for maybe $1.29, but I haven't
seen that price since the merger with Albertson's. Foster Farms costs
significantly more.

--

sf

sf

May 31, 2015, 2:34:28โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 20:06:02 -1000, dsi1
<ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

> Mostly I buy thighs these days.

Me too. Life's too short to spend time figuring out what to do with
the parts of the bird I don't like as much.

--

sf

spamtr...@gmail.com

May 31, 2015, 3:09:17โ€ฏPM5/31/15
Friend of mine has the opposite problem. But he really likes red meat.
His PCP told him the solution was to give blood on a regular basis.

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 3:19:28โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 8:34:28 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 30 May 2015 20:06:02 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> > Mostly I buy thighs these days.
>
> Me too. Life's too short to spend time figuring out what to do with
> the parts of the bird I don't like as much.
>

> --
>
> sf

I buy the thighs and make fried chicken but boneless, skinless, chicken thighs are what's used in a favorite dish here - chicken katsu. People go crazy for that stuff. I suspect the mainland will get hooked on chicken katsu in a big way soon.

The L&L down the street is famous for their chicken katsu sauce. I have no idea why. It tastes like ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and dark spices. Ha ha, now I have to go get some C.Katsu.

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2009/12/07/the-great-tonkatsu-sauce-shootout

Cheri

May 31, 2015, 3:53:23โ€ฏPM5/31/15

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message

> No, I guess I wouldn't pay $80 or $40. But I often see prices
> mentioned here like $1 (or even if it's $5) for a pound of chicken
> legs etc. Granted that they're tortured factory chickens, but if you
> don't care about that, it's dirt cheap. Hee hee.
>
> --
> Bruce

Oh BS, they are not tortured factory chickens in CA. Get a clue.

http://www.fosterfarms.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4qqrBRDE2K_z7Pbvjo8BEiQA39AImf2R-oEIyKcLVsxrVkWNOncH080vQI54zIV0lPiD07QaApdo8P8HAQ

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

sf

May 31, 2015, 4:12:23โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sun, 31 May 2015 12:19:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 8:34:28 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 May 2015 20:06:02 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Mostly I buy thighs these days.
> >
> > Me too. Life's too short to spend time figuring out what to do with
> > the parts of the bird I don't like as much.
> >

> > sf
>
> I buy the thighs and make fried chicken but boneless, skinless, chicken thighs are what's used in a favorite dish here - chicken katsu. People go crazy for that stuff. I suspect the mainland will get hooked on chicken katsu in a big way soon.
>
> The L&L down the street is famous for their chicken katsu sauce. I have no idea why. It tastes like ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and dark spices. Ha ha, now I have to go get some C.Katsu.
>
> http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2009/12/07/the-great-tonkatsu-sauce-shootout

Hubby likes katsu. I don't fry at home, so it's a restaurant order
for us. Neither of us like commercial katsu sauce. We tell them to
put it on the side, dip a piece in it and decide we're glad it's on
the side so it's not spoiling the rest of the meat.

--

sf

cshenk

May 31, 2015, 4:12:49โ€ฏPM5/31/15
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 30 May 2015 16:10:46 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > On 5/30/2015 2:41 PM, Cheri wrote:
> >
> >> I think the Costco rotisserie chickens are wonderful, fairly large
> in CA >> where I am. Love them. I really don't care much for other
> supermarkets >> rotisserie chickens at all, overpriced and
> underwhelming IMO.
> >
> > Costco chickens are large where I live, too, they aren't what I'd
> > call small at all. Not overdone, either, the way I've seen
> > some stores sell them.
>
> According to Costco they weigh 3 to 3.25 pounds. And I'd bet my left
> testicle that's pretty standard from Bangor to Chula Vista.
>
> A 3.15lb chicken is not large.
>
> -sw

Can we give it a sway that your left testicle might want to pull back
in as other markets differ? I don't think we'd have so many saying the
CostCo they use has larger ones if they dont.

Back before i got my own rotisserie machine, they used to sell them at
the local stores in 3 sizes. Small (1.5 lbs or so), Medium (2.5-3) and
large (4.5-5). Haven't bothered to check in years since making your
own is so much better than anything you can get at the store.

--

Message has been deleted

Dave Smith

May 31, 2015, 4:23:56โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On 2015-05-31 2:29 PM, sf wrote:

>> Buck a pound is fairly common though.
>
> Cheap chicken must be the lure they use to get customers in the door.

No doubt. If you get a ready cooked chicken it will be getting cold
while you prepare potatoes, make a salad etc. No problem.... you can
get all the extras to go with it right there, and they will make a tidy
profit on that stuff.

Dave Smith

May 31, 2015, 4:24:53โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On 2015-05-31 2:34 PM, sf wrote:

> Me too. Life's too short to spend time figuring out what to do with
> the parts of the bird I don't like as much.

I think too many are enjoying the thighs these days. They used to be a
lot cheaper than other chicken parts. Not so much cheaper any more.

cshenk

May 31, 2015, 4:27:22โ€ฏPM5/31/15
Janet B wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 30 May 2015 10:47:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > Chicken at a dollar a pound? I'd get some but my time machine is on
> > the blink and I can't go back to the 70s. Looks like I'm stuck with
> > the prices we got now. Too bad!
>
> $.99/pound here>
> Janet US (Intermountain West)

Thats a sale price here but we arent too far off. Sales still kick on
a rare occasion at .69lb but more often .89lb for whole. Oddly, leg
quarters can drop to .49lb.

Cheri

May 31, 2015, 4:40:29โ€ฏPM5/31/15

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cd3f30e0-fe63-47a1-8a3b-

> Mostly I like a good discount on meat. That would be the best kind.

Me too. I just got some really nice looking lamb shanks in the reduced meat
section for 3.00 a package.

Cheri

Cheri

May 31, 2015, 4:42:29โ€ฏPM5/31/15

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Yes, the last two chickens I got for .99 were almost $6.00 so they were
really large.

Cheri

sf

May 31, 2015, 4:44:24โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 06:11:27 +1000, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:
> There are no industry chickens in CA? Very unlikely, but maybe you
> know what you're talking about. But why do you focus on CA? Do all
> supermarket chickens come from CA?

Is someone who lives in CA supposed to know everything there is to
know about how chickens are treated in the other 49 states?

--

sf

sf

May 31, 2015, 4:45:10โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sun, 31 May 2015 13:39:28 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
Wow - great price! How many pounds was that?

--

sf

sf

May 31, 2015, 4:45:43โ€ฏPM5/31/15
I think you're right. :(

--

sf

sf

May 31, 2015, 4:47:06โ€ฏPM5/31/15
That was the price of raw chicken. Rotisserie chicken is a lot more
than $1 lb.

--

sf

Cheri

May 31, 2015, 4:48:31โ€ฏPM5/31/15

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Wow, this week in their circular, second page, Safeway Farms thighs,
drumsticks, or leg quarters .99 a pound.

http://plan.safeway.com/Circular/Safeway-1648/E55A74226/Weekly/2

Cheri

Cheri

May 31, 2015, 4:50:32โ€ฏPM5/31/15

> On Sun, 31 May 2015 12:52:49 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
> wrote:
>

> There are no industry chickens in CA? Very unlikely, but maybe you
> know what you're talking about. But why do you focus on CA? Do all
> supermarket chickens come from CA?
>
> --
> Bruce

The chickens I buy do. They come from the link I posted.

Cheri

sf

May 31, 2015, 4:50:33โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sun, 31 May 2015 13:42:00 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

> Yes, the last two chickens I got for .99 were almost $6.00 so they were
> really large.

Wow, they're small turkeys! I'd be tempted to stuff them.

--

sf

Cheri

May 31, 2015, 4:54:30โ€ฏPM5/31/15

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
3 packages, right at 1.54 wt. in each.

Cheri

Cheri

May 31, 2015, 4:56:34โ€ฏPM5/31/15

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message

> Back before i got my own rotisserie machine, they used to sell them at
> the local stores in 3 sizes. Small (1.5 lbs or so), Medium (2.5-3) and
> large (4.5-5). Haven't bothered to check in years since making your
> own is so much better than anything you can get at the store.

That might be true to your taste, but I haven't found it to be true with the
Costco chickens at all.

Cheri

sf

May 31, 2015, 4:57:26โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sun, 31 May 2015 13:47:57 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

> Wow, this week in their circular, second page, Safeway Farms thighs,
> drumsticks, or leg quarters .99 a pound.
>
> http://plan.safeway.com/Circular/Safeway-1648/E55A74226/Weekly/2

Thanks, I need chicken so I'll check it out. Haven't seen 99ยข for
thighs in a long time. :)

--

sf

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 4:58:18โ€ฏPM5/31/15
On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 10:12:23 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 31 May 2015 12:19:23 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
We need to have the sauce to eat with chicken katsu. The stuff at most restaurants are trying replicate Japanese tonkatsu sauce. It's OK but not real. I think the mainland is gonna discover tonkatsu sauce one of these days too. It makes a great steak sauce and you can use it for fried noodles.
Message has been deleted
It is loading more messages.