Is custard sauce a condiment?

Opinicus

Apr 22, 2015, 11:18:43 AM4/22/15
A client (foods manufacturer) whose annual reports I translate has
recently introduced a bottled custard sauce to their product line.
It's the only product of this kind that they make. They've placed it
in the same product category as their mustards, mayonnaises, ketchups,
etc--among their condiments in other words. In the annual report
therefore I have to refer to it as a "condiment" but that seems very
wrong to me. There is no other product category that it can be put in.
How strange is it to call custard sauce a condiment?

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com

taxed and spent

Apr 22, 2015, 11:23:15 AM4/22/15

"Opinicus" <gez...@kanyak.com.which.is.not.invalid> wrote in message
If that is the best category they have without creating a new category, I
think it is ok. It is a dessert condiment. I never really thought of it
that way before, but it is.

Message has been deleted

taxed and spent

Apr 22, 2015, 1:52:36 PM4/22/15

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> WTF is custard sauce? I see a lot of recipes out there for it, but it
> doesn't say how it's used. Is it just a inbred term for plain
> 'ol custard - as in pudding? In which case it's a dessert, not a
> condiment.
>
> -sw

if it includes vanilla, it is also known as Creme Anglaise.

Janet

Apr 22, 2015, 2:11:24 PM4/22/15
In article <9defjal770i4btd2j...@4ax.com>,
gez...@kanyak.com.which.is.not.invalid says...
Very very very :-)

Janet UK

Nunya Bidnits

Apr 22, 2015, 2:20:52 PM4/22/15
"taxed and spent" wrote in message

>If that is the best category they have without creating a new
>category, I think it is ok. It is a dessert condiment. I
>never really thought of it that way before, but it is.

If it's a dessert condiment it should be placed with the other
dessert toppings, such as chocolate syrup and fudge. Where I
shop those items are usually found somewhere near the ice cream.

MartyB

dsi1

Apr 22, 2015, 2:53:33 PM4/22/15
Americans like to think of custard as a pudding or a filling but the brits would consider it a sauce for use on cakes and puddings. If you could bottle a custard sauce to use at your discretion at the table to enhance a dish without having to cook up a batch and if that same bottle could be used at a later date - it could be called a "condiment." OTOH, if it's good eats, they could call it a "pie" and it wouldn't matter to me.

sf

Apr 22, 2015, 2:55:16 PM4/22/15
I have it filed under dessert sauce, but his company could add a slash
and make the category condiment/sauce. Land o' Lakes recipe section
handles it as: "Sauces & Condiments".

--

sf

Opinicus

Apr 22, 2015, 3:21:13 PM4/22/15
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 11:55:10 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>I have it filed under dessert sauce, but his company could add a slash
>and make the category condiment/sauce. Land o' Lakes recipe section
>handles it as: "Sauces & Condiments".
I think that's the way we're going to have to go. I've just learned
that they've got other products in the works.

Thanks everyone for your input.

W. Lohman

Apr 22, 2015, 4:07:10 PM4/22/15
On 4/22/2015 11:11 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> WTF is custard sauce?

Lol, it's what drips off yer chin.

graham

Apr 22, 2015, 4:26:24 PM4/22/15
Many moons ago in the Uni cafeteria, we all watched as a student spooned
mayo all over his apple pie, obviously thinking it was custard.
He ate it too!
Graham

--
"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion
will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the

leno...@yahoo.com

Apr 23, 2015, 12:15:01 PM4/23/15
On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 1:11:39 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

> WTF is custard sauce? I see a lot of recipes out there for it, but it
> doesn't say how it's used. Is it just a inbred term for plain
> 'ol custard - as in pudding? In which case it's a dessert, not a
> condiment.

Well, I often see American dessert recipes which say to top the end
product with custard sauce. They almost never say "top it with pudding."

And, to my knowledge, pudding may or may not have egg in it, but custard
ALWAYS has egg yolk.

My grandfather enjoyed cooking certain things, such as drop wafer mints
(I don't know the exact term), blackberry jam, and custard sauce. It's
trickier than you might think, since you're not supposed to let it boil (eggless pudding is much easier in that regard) and, to my knowledge,
he never used cornstarch.

Lenona.

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 1:18:08 PM4/23/15
It iconic Brit custard "Bird's Custard" is made with cornstarch. It has no eggs in it. They use it as a sauce. Things here are different.

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2015, 4:02:21 PM4/23/15
On 2015-04-23 1:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> It iconic Brit custard "Bird's Custard" is made with cornstarch. It
> has no eggs in it. They use it as a sauce. Things here are
> different.

We had it a lot when I was a kid. I liked it well enough, but then I had
custard with eggs in it, and that was a lot better.

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 4:39:03 PM4/23/15
You'd probably like a Chinese custard, which is made with a lot of eggs. I like custard pies made with that stuff better than American custard pies.

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2015, 4:49:04 PM4/23/15
On 2015-04-23 4:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> We had it a lot when I was a kid. I liked it well enough, but then
>> I had custard with eggs in it, and that was a lot better.
>
> You'd probably like a Chinese custard, which is made with a lot of
> eggs. I like custard pies made with that stuff better than American
> custard pies.

I don't know if it would be than a real English custard made with eggs.

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 5:05:08 PM4/23/15
That's true. The Chinese probably learned to make custard from the English so it sounds reasonable.

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2015, 5:20:44 PM4/23/15
On 2015-04-23 5:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> You'd probably like a Chinese custard, which is made with a lot of
>>> eggs. I like custard pies made with that stuff better than American
>>> custard pies.
>>>

>> I don't know if it would be than a real English custard made with eggs.
>
> That's true. The Chinese probably learned to make custard from the English so it sounds reasonable.

I don't even know if they Chinese make a milk and egg custard. They
don't use many milk products.

I am prepared to accept that a lot of us are not aware of custard pies
and tarts. There is an English pie shop/bakery that I sometimes pass
when out on motorcycle jaunts. One day last year I picked up some
custard tarts and was surprised to learn that my wife had never had a
custard tart or pie. She was impressed.

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 5:28:21 PM4/23/15
From what I just read, the English custard will be made with cream, milk, and lots of eggs. The high octane stuff would be cream and egg yolks - like a creme brulee. The Chinese however, like to use canned milk. I am, however, prepared to eat any kind of custard that was placed before me.

W. Lohman

Apr 23, 2015, 5:40:58 PM4/23/15
On 4/23/2015 3:20 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I don't know if it would be than a real English custard made with eggs.
>>
>> That's true. The Chinese probably learned to make custard from the
>> English so it sounds reasonable.
>>

> I don't even know if they Chinese make a milk and egg custard. They
> don't use many milk products.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chinese-style-egg-custard-tarts-42189

Egg Filling Ingredient
4 ounces sugar
24 ounces water
3 -5 drops vanilla extract
9 eggs (sift egg through strainer after eggs have been beaten)
8 ounces evaporated milk (or regular milk is fine too)

> I am prepared to accept that a lot of us are not aware of custard pies
> and tarts. There is an English pie shop/bakery that I sometimes pass
> when out on motorcycle jaunts. One day last year I picked up some
> custard tarts and was surprised to learn that my wife had never had a
> custard tart or pie. She was impressed.

That you got it home via motorcycle un-mushed?

W. Lohman

Apr 23, 2015, 5:43:47 PM4/23/15
Right you are!

> I am, however, prepared to eat any kind of custard that was placed before me.

Ditto.

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 5:51:40 PM4/23/15
Here's a link to a recipe for Chinese custard tarts with a technique for the crust that was unknown to me. Of course, I've eaten many examples of the technique before! :-)

http://userealbutter.com/2014/01/19/chinese-egg-custard-tarts-recipe/

W. Lohman

Apr 23, 2015, 6:01:36 PM4/23/15
Hey thanks!

That's the most photo friendly tart lesson I've ever seen.

Glad the dog's paws were ok too ;-)

And now the old lard vs. shortening dilemma...I might give manteca a
look also.

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 6:09:35 PM4/23/15
I'm glad about the dog too. Making a pie crust with animal fat gives me the Willies. I'm not too sure about using 2 tablespoons of evaporated milk in a custard either.

W. Lohman

Apr 23, 2015, 6:19:58 PM4/23/15
I've done it before for a savory pie, but you're right, it might not
work with a sweet custard.

> I'm not too sure about using 2 tablespoons of evaporated milk in a custard either.

Shoot, that one I posted had 8 ounces in it!

I say if it eats as good as it looks, rock on.

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2015, 6:23:17 PM4/23/15
Personally, I prefer vegetable shortening for a fruit or other sweet
pie. When it comes to savory pies I prefer lard.

graham

Apr 23, 2015, 6:25:43 PM4/23/15
There are 2 types of custard that are commonly used in the UK (if Bird's
is ignored): Crème anglaise, the traditional, pourable sauce, and egg
custard which is used as a pie filling.

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2015, 6:29:10 PM4/23/15
On 2015-04-23 6:25 PM, graham wrote:

>>> That's true. The Chinese probably learned to make custard from the
>>> English so it sounds reasonable.
>>>

>> I don't even know if they Chinese make a milk and egg custard. They
>> don't use many milk products.
>>
>> I am prepared to accept that a lot of us are not aware of custard pies
>> and tarts. There is an English pie shop/bakery that I sometimes pass
>> when out on motorcycle jaunts. One day last year I picked up some
>> custard tarts and was surprised to learn that my wife had never had a
>> custard tart or pie. She was impressed.
>>
> There are 2 types of custard that are commonly used in the UK (if Bird's
> is ignored): Crème anglaise, the traditional, pourable sauce, and egg
> custard which is used as a pie filling.

and then there is zabaione.

My wife has a recipe for her mother's "booze desert,basically a
zabaione. It is incredible stuff.

graham

Apr 23, 2015, 6:33:37 PM4/23/15
On 23/04/2015 4:09 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I'm glad about the dog too. Making a pie crust with animal fat gives me the Willies.

Why? Butter and lard are a damn site healthier than Crisco and margarine!

graham

Apr 23, 2015, 6:36:13 PM4/23/15
Sabayon is the French equivalent.

Ophelia

Apr 23, 2015, 6:38:23 PM4/23/15

"graham" <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> On 23/04/2015 4:09 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I'm glad about the dog too. Making a pie crust with animal fat gives me
>> the Willies.
>
> Why? Butter and lard are a damn site healthier than Crisco and margarine!

Agreed! I make my shortcrust with lard and I make suet pastry too. I use
butter for flaky pastry.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

James Silverton

Apr 23, 2015, 6:47:33 PM4/23/15
Might I mention that my kids thought that custard made from Bird's
Custard Powder was wonderful when their British Grandmother served it to
them.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

W. Lohman

Apr 23, 2015, 8:24:46 PM4/23/15
On 4/23/2015 5:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I don't read many dessert recipes.

No one cares.

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 8:29:25 PM4/23/15
Hee hee, rock on - well OK then!

graham

Apr 23, 2015, 8:30:57 PM4/23/15
We were all brought up on Bird's! I have some in the pantry.
As a child, it always intrigued me how a pinkish coloured powder turned
yellow when mixed with milk!
Graham

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 8:31:17 PM4/23/15
I think the Chinese might use animal fat for pastry but all the other
locals aren't into that. Culturally, it's a no-no.

graham

Apr 23, 2015, 8:32:46 PM4/23/15
On 23/04/2015 5:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:13:52 -0700 (PDT), leno...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 1:11:39 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>>

>>> WTF is custard sauce? I see a lot of recipes out there for it, but it
>>> doesn't say how it's used. Is it just a inbred term for plain
>>> 'ol custard - as in pudding? In which case it's a dessert, not a
>>> condiment.
>>
>> Well, I often see American dessert recipes which say to top the end
>> product with custard sauce. They almost never say "top it with pudding."
>
> I think that must be more of a Canadian and/or British thang. I have
> never read a recipe that called for custard sauce(*) nor seen anything
> covered with custard sauce served in a restaurant or home setting.
>
> Custard to fill choux pasty or a filled donut, yes. They are not
> "saucy" but rather quite firm .

That's Crème patissier, a sort of firm Crème anglaise.

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 8:39:44 PM4/23/15
On 4/23/2015 12:33 PM, graham wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 4:09 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I'm glad about the dog too. Making a pie crust with animal fat gives
>> me the Willies.
>
> Why? Butter and lard are a damn site healthier than Crisco and margarine!
> Graham

If you seriously believe that one could live longer by simply going
whole hog on lard and butter, your path is clear and easy. I don't
believe that my life will be made better or longer - in fact, it will be
shorter because I'd have to hunt down that stuff in the supermarket. I
know it's going to be located in the Mesican food aisle but you're
talking of me wasting 35 seconds of my life grabbing it off the shelf
and an untold number of minutes learning how to use the stuff. My time
is way too valuable!

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2015, 8:40:12 PM4/23/15
You think that do you? Do you have any knowledge of Chinese style
pastry making to support your guess?

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 8:42:25 PM4/23/15
Well, that's what I've heard. What did you hear?

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2015, 8:52:16 PM4/23/15
I only heard your guess about it.

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 9:34:09 PM4/23/15
I've heard for decades that the Chinese use lard. I have no reason to
believe that this is not true. You can choose to believe that they do
not. It doesn't matter to me either way.

As far as I know, the Japanese and Koreans don't do this - they ain't
that much into pastry. The Filipinos might do it because of the Spanish
influence but I've not heard of this. The Pacific islanders might use
lard in their islands if they raise pigs but I doubt that they would use
it much in Hawaii. What I'm saying is that that only group that would
use lard over here would be Chinese and Mexicans. For the rest of us,
it's a cultural no-no. You can take that to the bank - your memory bank.
OK, you've just wasted 5 minutes of my time. You owe me 5 minutes of
your life now.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 23, 2015, 10:25:29 PM4/23/15
On Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 11:15:01 AM UTC-5, leno...@yahoo.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 1:11:39 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>

> > WTF is custard sauce?
>
> Well, I often see American dessert recipes which say to top the end
> product with custard sauce.
>
> Lenona.

Cite me three (3) American recipes that say 'top the end product with custard sauce.'

graham

Apr 23, 2015, 11:41:00 PM4/23/15
?
Message has been deleted

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 12:15:12 AM4/24/15
Had some AC/DC playing..."we salute you!"

sf

Apr 24, 2015, 2:47:16 AM4/24/15
It seems like he's correct. If a Chinese pastry contains a fat like
lard or butter, it's derived from European pastry.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/chinese-bakery-pastries-buns-egg-tarts-guide.html

--

sf

Janet

Apr 24, 2015, 4:11:05 AM4/24/15
In article <NtTZw.51331$nU4....@fx13.iad>, gst...@shaw.ca says...

> On 22/04/2015 12:11 PM, Janet wrote:
> > In article <9defjal770i4btd2j...@4ax.com>,
> > gez...@kanyak.com.which.is.not.invalid says...
> >>
> >> A client (foods manufacturer) whose annual reports I translate has
> >> recently introduced a bottled custard sauce to their product line.
> >> It's the only product of this kind that they make. They've placed it
> >> in the same product category as their mustards, mayonnaises, ketchups,
> >> etc--among their condiments in other words. In the annual report
> >> therefore I have to refer to it as a "condiment" but that seems very
> >> wrong to me. There is no other product category that it can be put in.
> >> How strange is it to call custard sauce a condiment?
> >
> > Very very very :-)
> >
> > Janet UK
> >
> Many moons ago in the Uni cafeteria, we all watched as a student spooned
> mayo all over his apple pie, obviously thinking it was custard.
> He ate it too!
> Graham

Our student union cafe supplied unlimited free bread (cheapest sliced
white) and condiments including mayonnaise, tomato ketchup and HP sauce.
By the end of term when money had run out, plenty of hungry students
were surviving on free mayo or HP sandwiches.

Janet UK

Janet

Apr 24, 2015, 4:12:05 AM4/24/15
In article <456016eb-c174-4250...@googlegroups.com>,
dsi...@yahoo.com says...

> On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 5:18:43 AM UTC-10, Opinicus wrote:
> > A client (foods manufacturer) whose annual reports I translate has
> > recently introduced a bottled custard sauce to their product line.
> > It's the only product of this kind that they make. They've placed it
> > in the same product category as their mustards, mayonnaises, ketchups,
> > etc--among their condiments in other words. In the annual report
> > therefore I have to refer to it as a "condiment" but that seems very
> > wrong to me. There is no other product category that it can be put in.
> > How strange is it to call custard sauce a condiment?
> >
> > --
> > Bob
> > www.kanyak.com
> > The joint that time is out of
>
> Americans like to think of custard as a pudding or a filling but the brits would consider it a sauce for use on cakes and puddings.

Puhlease, Brits don't eat custard on cake.

Janet UK

Janet

Apr 24, 2015, 4:20:56 AM4/24/15

> On Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 11:40:58 AM UTC-10, W. Lohman wrote:

> > > I am prepared to accept that a lot of us are not aware of custard pies
> > > and tarts. There is an English pie shop/bakery that I sometimes pass
> > > when out on motorcycle jaunts. One day last year I picked up some
> > > custard tarts and was surprised to learn that my wife had never had a
> > > custard tart or pie. She was impressed.
> >
> > That you got it home via motorcycle un-mushed?

Any UK supermarket sells boxed custard tarts.

The hard part is not eating them on the way home...

pic here

http://www.thegreatbritishdiet.co.uk/Articles/EggCustardTart.html

Janet UK

Janet

Apr 24, 2015, 4:27:27 AM4/24/15
In article <9e78e44f-8dc1-4f83...@googlegroups.com>,
itsjoan...@webtv.net says...

> Cite me three (3) American recipes that say 'top the end product with custard sauce.'

Well, if Americans really knew how to make apple pie, that's how the
recipe would end.

Janet UK

Message has been deleted

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 10:52:37 AM4/24/15
You won't find a lot of wanting for good apple pie here, thanks.

graham

Apr 24, 2015, 12:42:32 PM4/24/15
I soon learned how to budget and live within my means, which has stood
me in good stead since.
Graham

Cindy Hamilton

Apr 24, 2015, 12:58:32 PM4/24/15
I've forgotten why you think we don't know how to make apple pie. Could
you remind us?

Cindy Hamilton

leno...@yahoo.com

Apr 24, 2015, 3:44:34 PM4/24/15
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 12:14:29 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 19:25:25 -0700 (PDT), itsjoannotjoann
> wrote:
>
> > Cite me three (3) American recipes that say 'top the end product with custard sauce.'
>
> It's going to be hard to define "American recipe". Lots of recipes
> written by Americans emulating foreign stuff.

Good point, since the first recipe that comes to my mind is "oeufs a la neige."

I may have seen that in the Joy of Cooking.

But, the main reason I said "American desserts" was to distinguish between
American "pudding" and British "pudding," since the latter, IIRC, simply
means ANY kind of dessert.

So anyway, I searched on the phrase "custard sauce for" and came up with
the following suggestions: Cherry trifle, plum pudding, fruit salad, and
chunks of angel food cake with berries. Plus various cakes and bread pudding.
(One certainly can't just put any type of topping on top of fruit salad -
for example, I think most people would not put chocolate pudding on top, but
plain custard sauce would be fine.)

I also saw a page titled "Lemony Snow Pudding with Rose Custard Sauce." It's
also called "cloud pudding."

Lenona.

Helpful person

Apr 24, 2015, 4:09:27 PM4/24/15
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 3:44:34 PM UTC-4, leno...@yahoo.com wrote:

> But, the main reason I said "American desserts" was to distinguish between
> American "pudding" and British "pudding," since the latter, IIRC, simply
> means ANY kind of dessert.

Steak and Kidney pudding is not a desert!

http://www.richardfisher.com

Helpful person

Apr 24, 2015, 4:12:35 PM4/24/15
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 12:14:29 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

> It's going to be hard to define "American recipe". Lots of recipes
> written by Americans emulating foreign stuff.

It's probably an American recipe if it is nothing like the original recipe from Europe or Asia or even Australasia.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Cindy Hamilton

Apr 24, 2015, 4:13:34 PM4/24/15
Too true. British "pudding" means "dessert",
except when it means "sausage" ;)

Cindy Hamilton

Helpful person

Apr 24, 2015, 4:22:01 PM4/24/15
It doesn't mean sausage. It means it's inside a suet pastry.

http://www.richardfisher.com

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 24, 2015, 4:36:41 PM4/24/15
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 2:44:34 PM UTC-5, leno...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 19:25:25 -0700 (PDT), itsjoannotjoann
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Cite me three (3) American recipes that say 'top the end product with custard sauce.'
> >
> > It's going to be hard to define "American recipe". Lots of recipes
> > written by Americans emulating foreign stuff.
>
> But, the main reason I said "American desserts" was to distinguish between
> American "pudding" and British "pudding," since the latter, IIRC, simply
> means ANY kind of dessert.
>
> So anyway, I searched on the phrase "custard sauce for" and came up with
> the following suggestions: Cherry trifle, plum pudding, fruit salad, and
> chunks of angel food cake with berries. Plus various cakes and bread pudding.
> (One certainly can't just put any type of topping on top of fruit salad -
> for example, I think most people would not put chocolate pudding on top, but
> plain custard sauce would be fine.)
>
> I also saw a page titled "Lemony Snow Pudding with Rose Custard Sauce." It's
> also called "cloud pudding."
>
> Lenona.

Fruit salad is not "top the end product with custard sauce" nor is cloud pudding or angel food cake with berries. Some people do use a sauce for their bread pudding but if their recipe is a good one there is really no need for a sauce, which is _not_ a custard.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Apr 24, 2015, 4:42:57 PM4/24/15
There are as many recipes for apple pie on both sides of the pond as there are for potato salad or meatloaf. There is no definitive recipe for any of these dishes.

Ophelia

Apr 24, 2015, 5:17:29 PM4/24/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
> On 4/23/2015 12:33 PM, graham wrote:
>> On 23/04/2015 4:09 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> I'm glad about the dog too. Making a pie crust with animal fat gives
>>> me the Willies.
>>
>> Why? Butter and lard are a damn site healthier than Crisco and margarine!
>> Graham
>
> If you seriously believe that one could live longer by simply going whole
> hog on lard and butter, your path is clear and easy.

Everything in moderation MrD:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Apr 24, 2015, 5:17:29 PM4/24/15

> On 23/04/2015 4:47 PM, James Silverton wrote:

>>> Sabayon is the French equivalent.
>>> Graham
>>>
>> Might I mention that my kids thought that custard made from Bird's
>> Custard Powder was wonderful when their British Grandmother served it to
>> them.
>>
> We were all brought up on Bird's! I have some in the pantry.
> As a child, it always intrigued me how a pinkish coloured powder turned
> yellow when mixed with milk!

I too have some in the pantry, but I can't remember the last time I made
any:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Dave Smith

Apr 24, 2015, 5:19:32 PM4/24/15
On 2015-04-24 3:44 PM, leno...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I also saw a page titled "Lemony Snow Pudding with Rose Custard Sauce." It's
> also called "cloud pudding."

I haven't had lemon snow pudding for years. I used to love that stuff. I
had all but forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

Note to self...print up the online recipe and get some gelatine.

Nunya Bidnits

Apr 24, 2015, 5:23:12 PM4/24/15
wrote in message

> Some people do use a sauce for their bread pudding but if
> their recipe is a good one >there is really no need for a
> sauce, which is _not_ a custard.

Good straightforward bread pudding with warm crème anglaise is
one fine dessert.

MartyB

Dave Smith

Apr 24, 2015, 5:25:44 PM4/24/15
On 2015-04-24 4:36 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

> Fruit salad is not "top the end product with custard sauce" nor is
> cloud pudding or angel food cake with berries. Some people do use a
> sauce for their bread pudding but if their recipe is a good one there
> is really no need for a sauce, which is _not_ a custard.

I dunno about that. We had a lot of good desserts topped with custard
sauce when I was a kid. I don't think I have ever had bread pudding
without some sort of sauce.In restaurants they ofter serve it with
caramel or butterscotch sauce. I prefer custard.

Ophelia

Apr 24, 2015, 5:28:44 PM4/24/15

"graham" <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
Exactly! Not much choice was there. I once lived on porridge for weeks but
never did that again.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Apr 24, 2015, 5:30:39 PM4/24/15

"Helpful person" <rrl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Not always. Cindy is correct too:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 5:39:30 PM4/24/15
Next thing ya know she'll be after dogs and Chevy trucks...
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

dsi1

Apr 24, 2015, 6:11:00 PM4/24/15
On 4/24/2015 11:17 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Why? Butter and lard are a damn site healthier than Crisco and
>>> margarine!
>>> Graham
>>
>> If you seriously believe that one could live longer by simply going
>> whole hog on lard and butter, your path is clear and easy.
>
> Everything in moderation MrD:)

Those are wise words. OTOH, saying butter and lard is "healthier" is
like saying strychnine is healthier than cyanide. Any healthful effects
is wishful thinking and who the heck eats fats for their health?

Nunya Bidnits

Apr 24, 2015, 6:15:10 PM4/24/15
"Bruce" wrote in message

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 16:23:06 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
<nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

>>Good straightforward bread pudding with warm crème anglaise is
>>one fine dessert.

>I'll never understand why people want to eat something like
>that after
>dinner. Instead of dinner yes, but after?

Bread pudding is sweet. Why can't it be dessert? That's how it's
always served around here.

Ophelia

Apr 24, 2015, 6:33:54 PM4/24/15

> On 4/24/2015 11:17 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message

>>> If you seriously believe that one could live longer by simply going
>>> whole hog on lard and butter, your path is clear and easy.
>>
>> Everything in moderation MrD:)
>>

> Those are wise words. OTOH, saying butter and lard is "healthier" is like
> saying strychnine is healthier than cyanide. Any healthful effects is
> wishful thinking and who the heck eats fats for their health?

Oh my! I am not sure I agree about comparing it to strychnine et al. At
least it is a natural food rather than processed or prefab as Bruce calls
it!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Apr 24, 2015, 6:33:54 PM4/24/15

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 16:23:06 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
> <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
>
> I'll never understand why people want to eat something like that after
> dinner. Instead of dinner yes, but after?

My appetite is small so I agree with you.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

notbob

Apr 24, 2015, 6:41:51 PM4/24/15
On 2015-04-24, dsi1 <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

> ....who the heck eats fats for their health?

Anyone with a brain.

nb
Message has been deleted

Dave Smith

Apr 24, 2015, 6:48:37 PM4/24/15
Animal fat is an essential food for people living in cold climates.

Message has been deleted

dsi1

Apr 24, 2015, 7:03:56 PM4/24/15
On 4/24/2015 12:33 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 4/24/2015 11:17 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Everything in moderation MrD:)
>>>

>> Those are wise words. OTOH, saying butter and lard is "healthier" is
>> like saying strychnine is healthier than cyanide. Any healthful
>> effects is wishful thinking and who the heck eats fats for their health?
>
> Oh my! I am not sure I agree about comparing it to strychnine et al.
> At least it is a natural food rather than processed or prefab as Bruce
> calls it!

We live in a prefab world and it's getting more and more prefabed. All I
know is that a can of corned beef is a lot better than starving to
death. I don't care much for canned corned beef but that's because I'm
not hungry enough.
Message has been deleted

dsi1

Apr 24, 2015, 7:05:19 PM4/24/15
This is a good point. I guess I'm living too close to the equator. Are
you guys Eskimos?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dave Smith

Apr 24, 2015, 7:29:19 PM4/24/15
On 2015-04-24 6:57 PM, Bruce wrote:

>> My appetite is small so I agree with you.
>
> Yes, I could have a dessert as lunch.

I always thought dessert was the high point of a good meal.

Message has been deleted

Jeßus

Apr 24, 2015, 8:05:36 PM4/24/15
On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 09:04:41 +1000, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:
>lol

You know of any cultures who defy that statement?

Jeßus

Apr 24, 2015, 8:07:34 PM4/24/15
On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 09:20:50 +0100, Janet <nob...@home.com> wrote:

>> > That you got it home via motorcycle un-mushed?
>

> Any UK supermarket sells boxed custard tarts.

I've picked up a few tarts at the supermarket from time to time.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jeßus

Apr 24, 2015, 8:40:19 PM4/24/15
On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:14:26 +1000, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:
>Did you introduce them to your parents?

No, I introduced them to my basement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQb2m6VJ-eo

Jeßus

Apr 24, 2015, 8:43:41 PM4/24/15
On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:13:07 +1000, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:
>Do you think Canadian vegetarians are worse off than Australian
>vegetarians? :)

Not the ones who live in the virtual reality of suburban life, no.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
It is loading more messages.