Fish Fry !

Terry Coombs

Jun 23, 2019, 9:17:48 AM6/23/19

  No , not the breaded and dropped in boiling oil kind of fry , but
baby fishies kind of fry . We bought 4 green lantern platies , 3 girls
and a boy , they have so far produced 2 batches of fry , right now there
are over 20 babies in 2 small mesh/plastic baskets in the big tank . I
was hoping they'd reproduce , but I sure didn't expect this ! I sure
hope I can find someone to take some of these , 40+ fish is probably too
many in a 30 gallon tank ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Ophelia

Jun 23, 2019, 9:48:17 AM6/23/19

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:qenu5p$lq2$1...@dont-email.me...

No , not the breaded and dropped in boiling oil kind of fry , but
baby fishies kind of fry . We bought 4 green lantern platies , 3 girls
and a boy , they have so far produced 2 batches of fry , right now there
are over 20 babies in 2 small mesh/plastic baskets in the big tank . I
was hoping they'd reproduce , but I sure didn't expect this ! I sure
hope I can find someone to take some of these , 40+ fish is probably too
many in a 30 gallon tank ...

Snag

====

I used to keep fish in a two big tanks:) Mostly goldfish and some
other sorts I can't remember:))

Terry Coombs

Jun 23, 2019, 10:01:58 AM6/23/19
 I find it very relaxing to stop and watch the fish occasionally . We
opted for a lot of smaller fish , all types that like to run in groups .
Most are egg layers , I don't know if we'll see them reproduce or not .

Gary

Jun 23, 2019, 10:07:58 AM6/23/19
Terry Coombs wrote:

> Ā No , not the breaded and dropped in boiling oil kind of fry , but
> baby fishies kind of fry . We bought 4 green lantern platies , 3 girls
> and a boy , they have so far produced 2 batches of fry , right now there
> are over 20 babies in 2 small mesh/plastic baskets in the big tank . I
> was hoping they'd reproduce , but I sure didn't expect this ! I sure
> hope I can find someone to take some of these , 40+ fish is probably too
> many in a 30 gallon tank ...

If aquarium gets too crowded, just buy a small snakehead. Problem
solved within a half hour.

Ophelia

Jun 23, 2019, 10:10:36 AM6/23/19

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:qeo0oi$3q5$1...@dont-email.me...
Snag

===

Yes, very relaxing! Oh dear you have me thinking about having some
again LOL

Terry Coombs

Jun 23, 2019, 11:29:55 AM6/23/19
On 6/23/2019 9:08 AM, Gary wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>> Â No , not the breaded and dropped in boiling oil kind of fry , but
  But that's such a ... final ... solution . I'd rather give them away
to other enthusiasts . And there's always a chance I can sell some to a
local pet shop .

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jun 23, 2019, 12:25:24 PM6/23/19
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 08:18:01 -0500, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:

>   No , not the breaded and dropped in boiling oil kind of fry , but
>baby fishies kind of fry . We bought 4 green lantern platies , 3 girls
>and a boy , they have so far produced 2 batches of fry , right now there
>are over 20 babies in 2 small mesh/plastic baskets in the big tank . I
>was hoping they'd reproduce , but I sure didn't expect this ! I sure
>hope I can find someone to take some of these , 40+ fish is probably too
>many in a 30 gallon tank ...

eat them!

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Terry Coombs

Jun 23, 2019, 1:37:58 PM6/23/19
  Yeah , right . That'd be like swallowing goldfish only smaller . None
of these fish is over 1 1/2 inches long

dsi1

Jun 23, 2019, 1:53:57 PM6/23/19
My mother-in-law made me a soup with tiny little whole fishes and whole baby octopus. The octopus were stiff in a permanently alarmed pose. It looked like they were dropped into boiling water while still alive. Ick. It was a macabre carousel of death aquarium horror-soup. If I'm lucky, I'll die without ever meeting up another such dish.

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jun 23, 2019, 3:59:04 PM6/23/19
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 12:38:54 -0500, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:

>On 6/23/2019 11:25 AM, Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 08:18:01 -0500, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>   No , not the breaded and dropped in boiling oil kind of fry , but
>>> baby fishies kind of fry . We bought 4 green lantern platies , 3 girls
>>> and a boy , they have so far produced 2 batches of fry , right now there
>>> are over 20 babies in 2 small mesh/plastic baskets in the big tank . I
>>> was hoping they'd reproduce , but I sure didn't expect this ! I sure
>>> hope I can find someone to take some of these , 40+ fish is probably too
>>> many in a 30 gallon tank ...
>>
>> eat them!
>>
>> --
>>
>> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
>
>   Yeah , right . That'd be like swallowing goldfish only smaller . None
>of these fish is over 1 1/2 inches long

You said you will have a lot of them... throw them in some hot oil and
have yourself a fishy snack

Ophelia

Jun 23, 2019, 4:39:07 PM6/23/19

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:qeoddi$br8$1...@dont-email.me...
Snag

===

Besides which they are like pets. I wonder if they would eat the
family dog!

Bruce

Jun 23, 2019, 4:45:01 PM6/23/19
wrote:

>On 6/23/2019 11:25 AM, Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 08:18:01 -0500, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>   No , not the breaded and dropped in boiling oil kind of fry , but
>>> baby fishies kind of fry . We bought 4 green lantern platies , 3 girls
>>> and a boy , they have so far produced 2 batches of fry , right now there
>>> are over 20 babies in 2 small mesh/plastic baskets in the big tank . I
>>> was hoping they'd reproduce , but I sure didn't expect this ! I sure
>>> hope I can find someone to take some of these , 40+ fish is probably too
>>> many in a 30 gallon tank ...
>>
>> eat them!
>>
>> --
>>
>> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
>
>   Yeah , right . That'd be like swallowing goldfish only smaller . None
>of these fish is over 1 1/2 inches long

It would remind you of your most recent sexual encounters.

Hank Rogers

Jun 23, 2019, 7:45:55 PM6/23/19
HUSH! do yoose wanna get popeye hot and bothered?

The man ain't humped a wimmen in 50 years, since he screwed his aunt

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jun 23, 2019, 8:13:17 PM6/23/19
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 21:37:04 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
sardines are not that big, anchovies are tiny...
why not put them on a pizza or in a salad?

Leonard Blaisdell

Jun 24, 2019, 12:49:54 AM6/24/19
In article <qeo5tf$14g$1...@dont-email.me>, Terry Coombs
If you can't capitalize on them, use them as gifts or mulch. Bruce
would expect nothing less of an American.

[ObFood] Chicken and noodle stew with plenty of vegetables.

leo

Bruce

Jun 24, 2019, 12:53:24 AM6/24/19
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 21:49:48 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
<leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>In article <qeo5tf$14g$1...@dont-email.me>, Terry Coombs
><snag...@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6/23/2019 9:08 AM, Gary wrote:
>
>> > If aquarium gets too crowded, just buy a small snakehead. Problem
>> > solved within a half hour.
>>
>>   But that's such a ... final ... solution . I'd rather give them away
>> to other enthusiasts . And there's always a chance I can sell some to a
>> local pet shop .
>
>If you can't capitalize on them, use them as gifts or mulch. Bruce
>would expect nothing less of an American.

1. Little fishies
2. ?
3. Profit

Only Americans need send in their suggestion.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jun 24, 2019, 1:56:21 AM6/24/19
In article <rnl0hedgvp7a3ik12...@4ax.com>, Bruce

> 1. Little fishies
> 2. ?
> 3. Profit
>
> Only Americans need send in their suggestion.

1. Fetching woman
2. ?
3. Expat

Only Australians need send in their suggestion.

leo

Bruce

Jun 24, 2019, 2:50:25 AM6/24/19
Prostitution? Or is that legal in the UK these days?

Terry Coombs

Jun 24, 2019, 8:00:14 AM6/24/19
  Funny you should mention that , I simmered the carcass of our first
home cooked rotisserie chicken yesterday afternoon for a batch of either
soup or dumplings .

Ophelia

Jun 24, 2019, 8:27:23 AM6/24/19

wrote in message news:8b50hethn3sjula9i...@4ax.com...
===

You keep sardines and anchovies as pets??

penm...@aol.com

Jun 24, 2019, 8:57:36 AM6/24/19
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 Terry Coombs wrote:

>   No , not the breaded and dropped in boiling oil kind of fry , but
>baby fishies kind of fry . We bought 4 green lantern platies , 3 girls
>and a boy , they have so far produced 2 batches of fry , right now there
>are over 20 babies in 2 small mesh/plastic baskets in the big tank . I
>was hoping they'd reproduce , but I sure didn't expect this ! I sure
>hope I can find someone to take some of these , 40+ fish is probably too
>many in a 30 gallon tank ...

Yes, especially won't be long those fry will be reproducing. I'd try
offering your overage to local pet shops, they may even pay some
nominal amount and/or offer to swap you for aquarium supplies; fish
food, filtering materials, etc.

As a young teen I raised tropical fish and was selling the first
veiltail guppies from a supplier in Germany. I was supplying local
pet shops and Aquastock in Manhattan. I had my parent's basement
lined with 20 gallon tanks, in those days all tanks had metal frames
with the glass panes and slate bottoms cemented in, and they
inevitably developed leaks, unlike modern all glass aquariums. I also
maintained a 55 gallon show tank with a stainless steel frame that I
set up in a corner of our dining room.... in the end it held two huge
oscars, but never any young... I did'nt know whether they were
male/female, it's near imposssible to tell with cichlids.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_(fish)
Most cichlids are mouth brooders:
http://web.mit.edu/lxs/www/cichlids/breeding.html

It's been so long ago, some 65 years, that I don't remember if it's
platies or platys but I'm thinking it's platys. They are live bearers
and reproduce rapidly and prolifically just like guppies. Start
buying 20 gallon tanks in bulk. LOL

Terry Coombs

Jun 24, 2019, 10:04:47 AM6/24/19
  I'm optimistic about being able to sell or give some of these away .
Having learned how prolifically these breed , I won't be worried about
confining them to give birth . Let the strong/smart/fast ones survive if
they can .

Ophelia

Jun 24, 2019, 10:30:10 AM6/24/19

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:qeql9s$hnv$1...@dont-email.me...
Snag

===

Amen and Good Luck :))

Dave Smith

Jun 24, 2019, 10:58:25 AM6/24/19
Good luck with finding homes for them. Keeping tropical fish doesn't
seem to be as popular as it was years ago. There used to be lots of pet
shops with vast arrays of tanks full of all sorts of fish, but most of
them have closed up. The one where I get pond fish has a very limited
assortment of tropicals.

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jun 24, 2019, 1:16:06 PM6/24/19
On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 12:52:06 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
cmon now.. I am just fucking with you guys... That would be so gross
not to mention taste like shit....

Christ...@deathtochristianity.pl

Jun 24, 2019, 1:17:36 PM6/24/19
On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 09:05:00 -0500, Terry Coombs <snag...@msn.com>
wrote:
Hey if all else fails they will make great fertilizer for your herb
garden, if you have one :P

Robert Saffer

Nov 24, 2020, 1:37:40 PM11/24/20
Hi Sheldon,
I'm so impressed that you were supplying Aquastock.
Aquastock was a mecca for me when I was a kid keeping tropical fish in the Bronx.
I was googling "Aquastock" to see when it closed etc. and found the reference in your post above.
-Robert