KFC "recipe" taste test.

graham

Aug 25, 2016, 3:05:52 PM8/25/16
http://tiny.cc/c4tcey

Not that I care. I've eaten KFC on two occasions in my life and suffered
severe indigestion each time.

Bruce

Aug 25, 2016, 3:07:07 PM8/25/16
In article <npnfic$88c$1...@dont-email.me>, gst...@shaw.ca says...

> http://tiny.cc/c4tcey
>
> Not that I care. I've eaten KFC on two occasions in my life and suffered
> severe indigestion each time.

The poultrygeist!

Don Wiss

Aug 25, 2016, 5:18:07 PM8/25/16
Good find. Note they found the KFC to be saltier. So KFC's garlic salt and
celery salt must have a higher salt content than what the author bought
from her store.

Maybe KFC bleaches the color out of their paprika?

William

Aug 25, 2016, 6:21:58 PM8/25/16
On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 13:05:48 -0600, graham <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote:

They are literally selling fried chicken all over the world now...lots
of folks must like it. What do you think of KFC's sister
companies...Pizza Hut...Taco Bell?

William

John Kuthe

Aug 25, 2016, 7:10:34 PM8/25/16
All under Yum, inc! :-(

Selling heart disease, diabetes, etc.

John Kuthe...

William

Aug 25, 2016, 7:44:15 PM8/25/16
5,003 KFC stores in China, I guess they don't like Chinese food...(-:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC_in_China

William

Paul M. Cook

Aug 28, 2016, 11:13:49 AM8/28/16

"graham" <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> http://tiny.cc/c4tcey
>
> Not that I care. I've eaten KFC on two occasions in my life and suffered
> severe indigestion each time.

Worth a shot. I last ate KFC in 1987. I'll try it but I will use lard as
does KFC or at very least vegetable shortening. Canola does have a flavor
of its own. The flavor would be very close but since KFC uses pressure
cookers, the texture and juiciness would not be the same. The thing about a
pressure cooker is that to take the lid off you have to release the steam
and let it cool down. That means the oil gets into the meat Pop that lid
off while it is hot and you will be in the burn ward for 3 months.

---

dsi1

Aug 28, 2016, 12:11:43 PM8/28/16
The Westernization of China will include the foods they eat. The commies' worst fears will come true. That's the breaks.

Nancy2

Aug 28, 2016, 7:54:03 PM8/28/16
Paul, you mean "pressure fryers," not pressure cookers. But you
have the warning correct, I think.

N.

dsi1

Aug 29, 2016, 12:55:53 AM8/29/16
Sorry to hear of your problem. My guess is that you cannot digest oil.

The article is a fail. They should have gotten someone that knows how to make fried chicken - someone like me. As I recall, at KFC, the chicken is first dredged in flour, then in an egg wash, then back into the flour. The real secret to making great fried chicken is not over cooking it. That lady messed up!

col...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2016, 9:22:44 AM8/29/16
I still say heated canola oil stinks.

Bruce

Aug 29, 2016, 3:15:32 PM8/29/16
In article <aaff14d6-79ae-492f...@googlegroups.com>,
col...@gmail.com says...

> I still say heated canola oil stinks.

Maybe that's the smell of genetic modification.

sf

Aug 29, 2016, 4:13:45 PM8/29/16
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 05:15:27 +1000, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
I stopped using vegetable oil decades ago, because I thought it was
stinky when heated and started using canola because it was clean
smelling.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Don Wiss

Aug 29, 2016, 4:18:55 PM8/29/16
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 06:22:36 -0700 (PDT), col...@gmail.com wrote:

>I still say heated canola oil stinks.

Canola oil is one of the industrial seed oils. They are high in Omega-6s.
They depress the immune system and create inflammation. Best are animal
fats, fruit oils (olive, avocado, palm), and tree nut oils (coconut,
macadamia, almond, walnut, pecan, hazelnut).

Don. http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm (e-mail link at page bottom).

graham

Aug 29, 2016, 5:45:03 PM8/29/16
On 8/29/2016 2:18 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 06:22:36 -0700 (PDT), col...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I still say heated canola oil stinks.
>
> Canola oil is one of the industrial seed oils. They are high in Omega-6s.
> They depress the immune system and create inflammation.

Is there peer-reviewed evidence published in a recognised scientific
journal for this statement?

> http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm

Fad central!

Bruce

Aug 29, 2016, 6:20:07 PM8/29/16
In article <nq2acs$f8f$1...@dont-email.me>, gst...@shaw.ca says...

> On 8/29/2016 2:18 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 06:22:36 -0700 (PDT), col...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> I still say heated canola oil stinks.
> >
> > Canola oil is one of the industrial seed oils. They are high in Omega-6s.
> > They depress the immune system and create inflammation.
>
> Is there peer-reviewed evidence published in a recognised scientific
> journal for this statement?

I'd like to know that too. According to a food scientist, canola oil is
the oil with the least amount of saturated fat, beating sunflower and
olive oil.

Of course, this isn't a bonus if you're a carbophobe and follow the idea
that eating lots of saturated fats helps you eat less carbs.

Ophelia

Aug 30, 2016, 4:56:22 AM8/30/16
"Bruce" wrote in message
=======

I will stick to my butter, dripping and lard.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Bruce

Aug 30, 2016, 5:43:14 AM8/30/16
In article <e2l01h...@mid.individual.net>, OphEl...@gmail.com
says...

Ophelia

Aug 30, 2016, 6:11:24 AM8/30/16
"Bruce" wrote in message
--------------

<g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 30, 2016, 6:36:50 AM8/30/16
On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 4:18:55 PM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 06:22:36 -0700 (PDT), col...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >I still say heated canola oil stinks.
>
> Canola oil is one of the industrial seed oils. They are high in Omega-6s.
> They depress the immune system and create inflammation. Best are animal
> fats, fruit oils (olive, avocado, palm), and tree nut oils (coconut,
> macadamia, almond, walnut, pecan, hazelnut).

Are we caring about this? All I care about is the taste. Heated
canola smells (and therefore tastes) a little fishy to me. I use
it for oiling the grates on my grill, but otherwise I only eat it
cold. I generally sauté in olive oil, but on the rare occasions
I want a neutral oil, I use peanut oil.

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia

Aug 30, 2016, 8:26:08 AM8/30/16
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
==========

A lot of Rape (Canola) is grown in North Yorkshire and it stinks. I have to
close the windows of the car when we pass them.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

sf

Aug 30, 2016, 1:29:45 PM8/30/16
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:24:46 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> A lot of Rape (Canola) is grown in North Yorkshire and it stinks. I have to
> close the windows of the car when we pass them.

The stink was bred out of Canola.

Gary

Aug 30, 2016, 3:52:58 PM8/30/16
sf wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:24:46 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > A lot of Rape (Canola) is grown in North Yorkshire and it stinks. I have to
> > close the windows of the car when we pass them.
>
> The stink was bred out of Canola.

Yeah...what's with all the anti-canola? It's a neutral oil imo. I've
never noticed a distinct taste or smell. It's supposedly healthier than
average too. Olive oil is the other good one but I only use that for
added ingredient for taste, not for frying.

Ophelia

Aug 30, 2016, 4:03:19 PM8/30/16
"Gary" wrote in message news:57C5E45A...@att.net...
===============

I am referring to the plants, not the oil.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 30, 2016, 4:36:55 PM8/30/16
Perhaps it's one of those cases where different sensory apparatus
detects different things. For me, it's fine until it's heated.
Then it smells fishy. I think others can detect some off flavors/odors
even when it's cold.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Aug 30, 2016, 4:44:17 PM8/30/16
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Yeah...what's with all the anti-canola? It's a neutral oil imo. I've
> > never noticed a distinct taste or smell. It's supposedly healthier than
> > average too. Olive oil is the other good one but I only use that for
> > added ingredient for taste, not for frying.
>
> Perhaps it's one of those cases where different sensory apparatus
> detects different things. For me, it's fine until it's heated.
> Then it smells fishy. I think others can detect some off flavors/odors
> even when it's cold.

Well, next time I cook with it you'll have me sniffing it. I've never
noticed an odor.

I just sniffed my unused bottle. It does have a smell but not fishy and
I've never noticed a taste other than the food that I cook.

Maybe I should try peanut oil. Don't think I've ever used it.

jinx the minx

Aug 30, 2016, 4:56:57 PM8/30/16
I recently bought some "omega 3 DHA" canola oil and oh my gosh is that
stuff terrible. I thought if I cooked with it the fishy smell might
dissipate but it didn't. I only used it once and threw it out. Otherwise
I've never thought canola to be fishy smelling.

--
jinx the minx

Cheri

Aug 30, 2016, 4:59:00 PM8/30/16

"Cindy Hamilton" <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Yes, like how cilantro tastes like soap to some, but not to others.

Cheri

dsi1

Aug 30, 2016, 5:12:06 PM8/30/16
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 11:18:07 AM UTC-10, Don Wiss wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 13:05:48 -0600, graham <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> >http://tiny.cc/c4tcey
> >
> >Not that I care. I've eaten KFC on two occasions in my life and suffered
> >severe indigestion each time.
>
> Good find. Note they found the KFC to be saltier. So KFC's garlic salt and
> celery salt must have a higher salt content than what the author bought
> from her store.
>
> Maybe KFC bleaches the color out of their paprika?
>
> Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I fried up some chicken last night. These were cheap frozen thighs in a 5 lb box. It's the way we bought chicken back in the good old days. We didn't have no fancy schmancy chicken in a package back then - and that's the way we liked it! I was filled with trepidation since I haven't tried chicken that way since the 70's and only God knows what might be in the box. As it goes, the chicken was fine, there was small pieces and large pieces and some looked a little funny but It's not bad for two solid meals and a couple of snacks.

My chicken was pretty great but it didn't taste like KFC. It had a distinct onion taste because chopped dehydrated onion was added to the flour mix. The chicken was moistened in water and dredged in the flour mix and allowed to sit for a while. The chicken was fried on medium heat for about 25 minutes. I turn the chicken frequently, about 12 times. I don't cover the chicken and let it stew because that's not the kind of person I am. :)

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/OjBbGRRDzFQiKEst9a9KwNqlVjvuJw2UiWcrpJGhZW3?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

S Viemeister

Aug 30, 2016, 8:01:49 PM8/30/16
I find its taste/smell offensive.
But cilantro tastes like soap to me, and beets taste like dirt, so...

graham

Aug 30, 2016, 9:23:31 PM8/30/16
Are you sure it wasn't mustard? After all, inhabitants of Yorkshire need
something to spice up their otherwise miserable lives:-)

koko

Aug 30, 2016, 10:11:21 PM8/30/16
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 14:12:00 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Looks pretty darned crispy and tasty.

koko

James Beard

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 30, 2016, 11:30:26 PM8/30/16
Cilantro tastes like soap to me as well and black eyed peas come off
as muddy to me unless I fix them spicy.

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 30, 2016, 11:48:05 PM8/30/16
On 8/30/2016 5:12 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I fried up some chicken last night. These were cheap frozen thighs in a 5 lb box. It's the way we bought chicken back in the good old days. We didn't have no fancy schmancy chicken in a package back then - and that's the way we liked it! I was filled with trepidation since I haven't tried chicken that way since the 70's and only God knows what might be in the box. As it goes, the chicken was fine, there was small pieces and large pieces and some looked a little funny but It's not bad for two solid meals and a couple of snacks.
>
> My chicken was pretty great but it didn't taste like KFC. It had a distinct onion taste because chopped dehydrated onion was added to the flour mix. The chicken was moistened in water and dredged in the flour mix and allowed to sit for a while. The chicken was fried on medium heat for about 25 minutes. I turn the chicken frequently, about 12 times. I don't cover the chicken and let it stew because that's not the kind of person I am. :)
>
> https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/OjBbGRRDzFQiKEst9a9KwNqlVjvuJw2UiWcrpJGhZW3?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Looks goo, nice color.

Bruce

Aug 31, 2016, 12:06:55 AM8/31/16
In article <AuWdnUchJO3wzlvK...@giganews.com>, e...@snet.net
says...
What do you expect? They were cheap.

sf

Aug 31, 2016, 12:08:48 AM8/31/16
I switched to TJ's sunflower oil a year or so ago, but I don't use it
very much because I don't do much high heat cooking. Most of my
cooking involves EVOO. You could call my style Mediterranean, so
whatever flavor it imparts simply adds to the dish.

sf

Aug 31, 2016, 12:10:14 AM8/31/16
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:45:19 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

> Maybe I should try peanut oil. Don't think I've ever used it.

It's a very nice oil, but you might be shocked by the price.

sf

Aug 31, 2016, 12:14:11 AM8/31/16
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:58:27 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
And yet they scream about how awful it is and if anyone disagrees,
they have TIAD.

Taxed and Spent

Aug 31, 2016, 12:20:56 AM8/31/16
I don't think the Mediterranean area cooks with EVOO. It is used for
flavoring. They cook with "pure olive oil", which is not EVOO.

dsi1

Aug 31, 2016, 1:51:45 AM8/31/16
On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 4:11:21 PM UTC-10, koko wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 14:12:00 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
It was juicy too. I could make a pretty convincing KFC analogue by sous vide and deep frying. That would be a very goofy thing to do! :)

dsi1

Aug 31, 2016, 1:52:58 AM8/31/16
I tweaked the saturation level a little. I'm a bad boy. :)

Cheri

Aug 31, 2016, 2:02:30 AM8/31/16

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
That could be said for just about anything someone mentions liking or
disliking here.

Cheri

Ophelia

Aug 31, 2016, 4:44:59 AM8/31/16
"dsi1" wrote in message
=======

They look really good! I don't know what KFC chicken tastes like but some
people might think that the fact that they don't is an advantage <g>

No, I never thought you were a stewer ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Aug 31, 2016, 4:44:59 AM8/31/16
"dsi1" wrote in message
============

Really???

err Goofy O ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Aug 31, 2016, 4:52:08 AM8/31/16
"S Viemeister" wrote in message news:e2ml39...@mid.individual.net...
============

Agree on the cilantro, disagree on the beets:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Aug 31, 2016, 4:52:08 AM8/31/16
"graham" wrote in message news:nq5big$i7b$3...@dont-email.me...
=================

LOL they don't seem too miserable to me:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Brooklyn1

Aug 31, 2016, 8:13:25 AM8/31/16
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 09:45:43 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Cilantro tastes like soap to me too but I love beets.
The soapy cilantro taste is genetic, same as some can eat asparagus
and their pee doesn't stink.

sf

Aug 31, 2016, 10:18:32 AM8/31/16
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 23:01:45 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
That's for sure. This ng is filled with people who claim to be
loners, and sometimes it's obvious why they are.

sf

Aug 31, 2016, 10:19:59 AM8/31/16
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 21:20:56 -0700, Taxed and Spent
<nospam...@nonospam.com> wrote:

> I don't think the Mediterranean area cooks with EVOO. It is used for
> flavoring. They cook with "pure olive oil", which is not EVOO.

I don't care what they cook with, that's what I use.

Nancy Young

Aug 31, 2016, 10:29:25 AM8/31/16
I haven't seen that about cilantro, I have lost that soap
flavor thing but it used to taste that way to me. Blech.
But I know it's some genetic thing and that other people
didn't get that soap flavor and certainly I didn't tell other
people they were wrong about it.

Actually, someone said I was weird when I said it tasted like
soap to me.

nancy

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 31, 2016, 1:00:49 PM8/31/16
When I first tasted cilantro, it tasted soapy and I didn't like it.
Repeated exposure has accustomed me to the taste. It still tastes
a little soapy, but not in a bad way. Clearly, I don't have the
"I hate cilantro" gene; I just had to educate my palate. I now
love cilantro, and use it often and in large quantities.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Leonard Blaisdell

Aug 31, 2016, 9:45:34 PM8/31/16
In article <45idsbpjdnddicaob...@4ax.com>, Brooklyn1
<grave...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Cilantro tastes like soap to me too but I love beets.
> The soapy cilantro taste is genetic, same as some can eat asparagus
> and their pee doesn't stink.

My pee stinks when I eat asparagus, but cilantro is delicious. Now I
have a question. As I was an angel as a child and never swore, I didn't
have to eat soap and was encouraged not to do so. I see that many of
you did. Hmm...

leo

Ophelia

Sep 1, 2016, 5:08:44 AM9/1/16
"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
==========

lol nor did I, as it happens, but then we all know that only children were
perfect ... <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Nancy2

Sep 1, 2016, 8:56:25 AM9/1/16
Our KFC chicken smells like they never have changed the oil.
I have had it twice, was sick both times.
Our supermarket deli fried chicken is better, and it doesn't make
me sick.

N.

Ophelia

Sep 1, 2016, 10:09:25 AM9/1/16
"Nancy2" wrote in message
=============

OH dear:(( It makes you wonder how they stay in business:( There is a
Subway in a shopping centre I know and I always walk on the other side. It
stinks:(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Brooklyn1

Sep 1, 2016, 11:41:09 AM9/1/16
On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 09:25:36 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Anyone who bathes regularly knows the taste of soap.

Cheri

Sep 1, 2016, 12:34:55 PM9/1/16

"Brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Truly!

Cheri

Ophelia

Sep 1, 2016, 1:46:32 PM9/1/16
"Cheri" wrote in message news:nq9lg...@news6.newsguy.com...
===================

Maybe, but it still doesn't make me want to eat it <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Brooklyn1

Sep 2, 2016, 12:22:54 AM9/2/16
On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 18:31:10 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
But occasionally creamy foamy substances get in your mouth. <g>
Egg creams of course. hehe
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/best-egg-cream-new-york-nyc.html

dsi1

Sep 2, 2016, 2:49:35 PM9/2/16
I have made egg creams. My wife finds the whole concept of a chocolate soda to be gross. I find them to be curiously refreshing.

Nancy Young

Sep 2, 2016, 2:54:43 PM9/2/16
I do love an egg cream. Last week I had my first vanilla egg cream.
It was good but chocolate rules.

nancy

Cheri

Sep 2, 2016, 3:37:49 PM9/2/16

"Nancy Young" <rjynlyo...@verizon.net> wrote in message
I'm not sure I've ever had either.

Cheri

dsi1

Sep 2, 2016, 4:14:33 PM9/2/16
This might be a dumb question: what kind of syrup do you use to make a vanilla egg cream?

Brooklyn1

Sep 2, 2016, 9:27:24 PM9/2/16
On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 13:14:28 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Foxs-u-bet-20-Oz-Vanilla-Syrup/dp/B00061EUBI

dsi1

Sep 2, 2016, 10:14:27 PM9/2/16
On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 3:27:24 PM UTC-10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 13:14:28 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsiyahoo.com>
Well waddaya know. Thanks!

Nancy Young

Sep 2, 2016, 10:16:24 PM9/2/16
On 9/2/2016 9:27 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 13:14:28 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 8:54:43 AM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I do love an egg cream. Last week I had my first vanilla egg cream.
>>> It was good but chocolate rules.

>> This might be a dumb question: what kind of syrup do you use to make a vanilla egg cream?
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Foxs-u-bet-20-Oz-Vanilla-Syrup/dp/B00061EUBI

Strictly coincidentally there was something in the paper yesterday about
a local place making egg creams, and you could get it in vanilla using
vanilla syrup, as you say.

I'd been wondering about it myself.

nancy