Lunch & Dinner 9/16/23

jmcquown

Sep 16, 2023, 6:05:35 PM9/16/23
I split, seeded and roasted an acorn squash this afternoon. Put a
couple of TBS of butter in the center, sprinkled each half with lots of
salt & a little coursely ground pepper, roasted in the oven at 400F for
an hour. While they were cooking I did a load of laundry and went
outside and cut back some overgrown plants. Then I washed up and ate
the squash for lunch.

I thawed two of the white boudin sausages, which, BTW, were every bit as
tasty as I remember them. I'll be cooking those for dinner. I might
have a scoop of coffee ice cream for "dessert".

What's going on in your kitchen this fine Saturday?

Jill

Michael Trew

Sep 16, 2023, 8:13:00 PM9/16/23
Sounds good! Its been a long time since I've had coffee flavor ice
cream. I'll have to look for that.

Not to turn this into a Kuthe-esque thread, but I have to have some
laundry to do tonight. I volunteered to take the store logo aprons home
to wash them, because they really need it. I won't fire up the washer
for a single load, so I'll probably wash a few bath towels or something
first.

I made a big pot of Haluski with homemade kluski noodles and fried
cabbage/onions. I'll probably be working on this for a number of days.

jmcquown

Sep 16, 2023, 9:08:03 PM9/16/23
On 9/16/2023 8:13 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/16/2023 6:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I split, seeded and roasted an acorn squash this afternoon. Put a couple
>> of TBS of butter in the center, sprinkled each half with lots of salt &
>> a little coursely ground pepper, roasted in the oven at 400F for an
>> hour. While they were cooking I did a load of laundry and went outside
>> and cut back some overgrown plants. Then I washed up and ate the squash
>> for lunch.
>>
>> I thawed two of the white boudin sausages, which, BTW, were every bit as
>> tasty as I remember them. I'll be cooking those for dinner. I might have
>> a scoop of coffee ice cream for "dessert".
>>
>> What's going on in your kitchen this fine Saturday?
>>
>> Jill
>
> Sounds good!  Its been a long time since I've had coffee flavor ice
> cream.  I'll have to look for that.

Coffee ice cream is my favourite. Has been since I had my tonsils taken
out at the age of six. :)

> Not to turn this into a Kuthe-esque thread, but I have to have some
> laundry to do tonight.  I volunteered to take the store logo aprons home
> to wash them, because they really need it.  I won't fire up the washer
> for a single load, so I'll probably wash a few bath towels or something
> first.

I'm not sure what you washing store-logo aprons has to do with Kuthe.

I "fire up the washer" any time clothes, towels or sheets need washing.

> I made a big pot of Haluski with homemade kluski noodles and fried
> cabbage/onions.  I'll probably be working on this for a number of days.

You sure are big on cabbage. I like cabbage. I just don't want to eat
it all the time.

Jill

Bruce

Sep 16, 2023, 9:15:56 PM9/16/23
On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 21:07:50 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Please take note, Michael. Constable McBiddy does not approve of too
much cabbage eating.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bryan Simmons

Sep 16, 2023, 9:33:40 PM9/16/23
On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 7:13:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/16/2023 6:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > I split, seeded and roasted an acorn squash this afternoon. Put a couple
> > of TBS of butter in the center, sprinkled each half with lots of salt &
> > a little coursely ground pepper, roasted in the oven at 400F for an
> > hour. While they were cooking I did a load of laundry and went outside
> > and cut back some overgrown plants. Then I washed up and ate the squash
> > for lunch.
> >
> > I thawed two of the white boudin sausages, which, BTW, were every bit as
> > tasty as I remember them. I'll be cooking those for dinner. I might have
> > a scoop of coffee ice cream for "dessert".
> >
> > What's going on in your kitchen this fine Saturday?
> >
> > Jill
> Sounds good! Its been a long time since I've had coffee flavor ice
> cream. I'll have to look for that.

Coffee ice cream ranges from really shitty, to great,
great being Haagen-Dazs.

--Bryan

Bruce

Sep 16, 2023, 9:45:04 PM9/16/23
RFC contributors range from really shitty to great, really shitty
being Bryan Simmons.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 16, 2023, 10:11:09 PM9/16/23
Sorry to be late with my reply as I've had company this evening. But my dinner
was a plate of leftovers.

Dave Smith

Sep 16, 2023, 10:18:54 PM9/16/23
Lunch was a salmon salad sandwich made with leftover salmon from last
night's supper. We forgot to get something out of the freezer for supper
so we scooted into town and got some ready made burger patties and BBQed
them. I had a nice organic lager with it and then a slice of cherry pie
for dessert,

dsi1

Sep 16, 2023, 11:09:21 PM9/16/23
We just had pancakes with lemon curd and whipped cream.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xU9hPANZVUa914yk6

Bruce

Sep 17, 2023, 1:05:35 AM9/17/23
Ok, but don't let it happen again. When Constable McBiddy asks a
question, you're supposed to answer immediately!

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

songbird

Sep 17, 2023, 4:17:35 AM9/17/23
jmcquown wrote:
> What's going on in your kitchen this fine Saturday?

not too much too complicated. i had some melon and
doctored it up a bit with some honey and cinammon.
later on i had some butter, brown sugar, oats and
peanuts and then a few hours later a few slices of
apples and peanut butter and a glass of milk.

songbird

Thomas

Sep 17, 2023, 6:08:12 AM9/17/23
Scrambled eggs and corned beef hash from a can in the AM, pizza for lunch and junk food throughout.
The big cook was lasagna and cookies for a church function for my wife today.
The lasagna goes in the oven in 2 hours for a 9 departure.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 17, 2023, 6:38:40 AM9/17/23
Not much. Lunch was a chicken sandwich, followed by two hours
on the lawn tractor. Dinner was a salad with feta cheese on it.

Today for breakfast: bacon and waffles.

--
Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Sep 17, 2023, 7:31:39 AM9/17/23
Chuck roast? :)

Jill

Mike Duffy

Sep 17, 2023, 10:06:17 AM9/17/23
On 2023-09-16, jmcquown wrote:

> What's going on in your kitchen this fine Saturday?

It was non-optimal. My wife went on an egg salad spree
when she boils enough eggs to do a whole loaf of
sandwiches which lasts us both 3 meals.

Usually this works out well for me, because I don't
lift a finger to help. Sure, I have to let her use
Miracle Whip, but I usually have a bottle of
hot sauce on the go in the fridge and
apply it judiciously to all & sundry.

Currently, it is 'El Yucateca' Chipotle. Unfortunatly,
last night I did not bother to turn on the light
in the kitchen, and the hot sauce was parked next
to a similar-sized bottle of concentrated smoke essence.

Of course, I'm not going to waste food due to my
own negligence. That stuff tastes awful like that.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 17, 2023, 12:02:01 PM9/17/23
Egg salad being only marginally food, I think you
needn't have felt any guilt. Eggs are definitely
cheap around here these days. Last week we got
4 dozen for 79 cents a dozen, and regular price at
ALDI was $1.13 yesterday.

--Bryan

bruce bowser

Sep 17, 2023, 12:23:47 PM9/17/23
On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 12:02:01 PM UTC-4, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 9:06:17 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
> > On 2023-09-16, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > > What's going on in your kitchen this fine Saturday?
> > It was non-optimal. My wife went on an egg salad spree
> > when she boils enough eggs to do a whole loaf of
> > sandwiches which lasts us both 3 meals.
> >
> > Usually this works out well for me, because I don't
> > lift a finger to help. Sure, I have to let her use
> > Miracle Whip, but I usually have a bottle of
> > hot sauce on the go in the fridge and
> > apply it judiciously to all & sundry.
> >
> > Currently, it is 'El Yucateca' Chipotle. Unfortunatly,
> > last night I did not bother to turn on the light
> > in the kitchen, and the hot sauce was parked next
> > to a similar-sized bottle of concentrated smoke essence.
> >
> > Of course, I'm not going to waste food due to my
> > own negligence. That stuff tastes awful like that.
> >
> Egg salad being only marginally food,

No way. Not with chips and in a sandwich with two pieces of toast, American cheese, dill relish, L&T and plenty of salt, salt, SALT !!!

dsi1

Sep 17, 2023, 1:34:15 PM9/17/23
My brother bought 2 dozen eggs from Costco. They were 6 bucks. That's dirt cheap around here. The market eggs around here are just plain weird. The shells are thin and weak and the yolks just fall apart. The Costco eggs have stronger shells normal yolks. They're just beautiful eggs. I made my wife egg salad sandwiches for her work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9TLeZu5UQYS2ihVw6

Bruce

Sep 17, 2023, 3:32:04 PM9/17/23
That's a bit less than free range eggs cost here at ALDI. (Civilised
people don't buy cage eggs anymore.)

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2023, 3:55:27 PM9/17/23
Yes, just enough for a decent dinner.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2023, 4:00:17 PM9/17/23
On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 12:34:15 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 9:06:17 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
> > >
> > > It was non-optimal. My wife went on an egg salad spree
> > > when she boils enough eggs to do a whole loaf of
> > > sandwiches which lasts us both 3 meals.
> > >
> I made my wife egg salad sandwiches for her work.
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/9TLeZu5UQYS2ihVw6

Have any of y'all ever tried your egg salad on club crackers??? Mmmmmmm,
the buttery taste of that type of cracker goes exceptionally well with egg salad.

dsi1

Sep 17, 2023, 4:02:38 PM9/17/23
It's over half off than the eggs sold here. Eggs sold here are either local or mainland eggs. The Costco eggs are a remarkable, high quality, product. As it goes, I'm not only civilized, I'm more modern than modern.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EiHhRt1KN4x9wKsH7

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2023, 4:06:34 PM9/17/23
On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 2:32:04 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> >On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 6:02:01 AM UTC-10, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >>
> >> Last week we got
> >> 4 dozen for 79 cents a dozen, and regular price at
> >> ALDI was $1.13 yesterday.
> >>
> >> --Bryan
> >
> That's a bit less than free range eggs cost here at ALDI. (Civilised
> people don't buy cage eggs anymore.)
>
> Bruce

A dozen free-range eggs at Kroger are $4.79 while they range from $3.32 to
$5.82 per dozen at Walmart. All large and all brown eggs which the color
makes no difference in eggs.

dsi1

Sep 17, 2023, 4:21:36 PM9/17/23
Egg salad is probably even better on Ritz Crackers than in a sandwich. I'm a guy that takes egg salad seriously and will spend a lot of effort to get the eggs done right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYnA6_-q4BY

Bruce

Sep 17, 2023, 4:36:42 PM9/17/23

Hank Rogers

Sep 17, 2023, 4:45:34 PM9/17/23
A regular George Jetson.

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2023, 5:35:25 PM9/17/23
On 9/16/2023 9:07 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/16/2023 8:13 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>
>> Not to turn this into a Kuthe-esque thread, but I have to have some
>> laundry to do tonight. I volunteered to take the store logo aprons
>> home to wash them, because they really need it. I won't fire up the
>> washer for a single load, so I'll probably wash a few bath towels or
>> something first.
>>
> I'm not sure what you washing store-logo aprons has to do with Kuthe.

Discussing laundry or whatever on a cooking NG.

> I "fire up the washer" any time clothes, towels or sheets need washing.

I use the wash water over 2-3 times. Saves a lot of hot water and
detergent. I'm glad that I did the maroon colored aprons last, because
it turns out, they weren't color-fast. The water turned red!

> You sure are big on cabbage. I like cabbage. I just don't want to eat it
> all the time.

I don't make it terribly often, but I don't make much of anything often.
It's cheap and goes a long way. Next week, I'll probably make a big
pot of chili (yes, with a lot of beans). I may or may not post about
it, because it isn't terribly exciting.

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2023, 5:39:07 PM9/17/23
To each, their own. I don't care for egg salad, but tuna, chopped egg,
and ricotta cheese or the like on a sandwich is OK.

Mr. Bowser, I'm concerned about your blood pressure with your apparent
salt intake. Better listen to the doctor.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2023, 6:10:21 PM9/17/23
On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 4:39:07 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:

> I don't care for egg salad, but tuna, chopped egg,
> and ricotta cheese or the like on a sandwich is OK.

How do you make your egg salad? Tell me your recipe and I'll tell
you mine.

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 17, 2023, 9:45:21 PM9/17/23
On 2023-09-17, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Lunch was a salmon salad sandwich made with leftover salmon from last
> night's supper. We forgot to get something out of the freezer for supper
> so we scooted into town and got some ready made burger patties and BBQed
> them. I had a nice organic lager with it and then a slice of cherry pie
> for dessert,

Organic lager? What's the World coming to?

Dave Smith

Sep 17, 2023, 10:00:47 PM9/17/23
I don't usually go to any effort to buy organic products but I came
across this stuff about a year ago... Mill Street Organic Lager. It is a
regular priced beer. I normally have an IPA if I am just having a beer,
but I like lager or Pilsners with a some foods like burgers. I
introduced my brother to it because he generally likes lagers and
Pilsner and it has become his regular beer.

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 17, 2023, 10:04:40 PM9/17/23
On 2023-09-17, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

> How do you make your egg salad? Tell me your recipe and I'll tell
> you mine.

Here's ours. Chopped, hard-boiled eggs and mayo. When my wife adds tuna
and pickles, I avoid it. :) or 🙂

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2023, 11:34:23 PM9/17/23
You're not a tuna salad fan??

Bruce

Sep 18, 2023, 12:49:08 AM9/18/23
On 18 Sep 2023 01:45:14 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
Organic? Communist more like it!

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 18, 2023, 1:47:24 AM9/18/23
On 2023-09-18, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

> You're not a tuna salad fan??

Nah, but I recently got back into tuna sandwiches. Tuna, mayo and white
bread. 😉

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 18, 2023, 4:28:20 AM9/18/23
> You're not a tuna salad fan??

Eggs and mayo, tuna and mayo, and never the twain shall meet. 🙂

When two strong men stand face to face
Though they come from the ends of the street

Anybody?

lucr...@florence.it

Sep 18, 2023, 7:00:21 AM9/18/23
On 18 Sep 2023 01:45:14 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

If it's anything like organic wine, fine if you don't like to have the
lovely layers of flavours :)

Bruce

Sep 18, 2023, 7:16:16 AM9/18/23
Your generation and "organic" are a bad combination :)

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Michael Trew

Sep 18, 2023, 9:03:19 AM9/18/23
I don't remember, it's been quite a while. I don't like potato,
macaroni, or any salad with a mayonnaise base, so that's probably why I
didn't like it. It's the texture and the creaminess... I find it
off-putting. Especially when people add sugar! When I make potato
salad, it's "German-style", with vinegar/oil/salt/pep... Same as when I
make coleslaw. No sugar/mayo.

songbird

Sep 18, 2023, 10:04:49 AM9/18/23
Bruce wrote:
> Organic? Communist more like it!

the internet is not a safe space for some people.
i hear Putin gets his information from people who
print stuff out for him to read. pehaps Leo can
hire someone to do that and he can read it in the
bathroom just in case he needs to vomit?

songbird

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 18, 2023, 2:35:42 PM9/18/23
I always have to put in minced onion, celery, and (if I have it) radish.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 18, 2023, 2:36:07 PM9/18/23
On 2023-09-18, Leonard Blaisdell <leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
I agree. Hard-boiled eggs and tuna can stay on opposite sides of the
street.

--
Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Sep 18, 2023, 6:14:47 PM9/18/23
Well, I'm going to buy a cabbage fairly soon because I have a corned
beef brisket in the freezer. I love corned beef brisket so when St.
Patrick's day rolls around I buy two of them and stash one away to cook
in the Fall. I'm about due corned beef brisket with cabbage. :) I cook
the brisket in a little water in a covered crock pot with the packet of
pickling spices that comes with it. I add a couple of extra bay leaves
to the liquid. When the brisket just about fork tender I put quartered
cabbage wedges on top, cover it and let it cook until the cabbage is
tender. Love it! :)

Jill

Graham

Sep 18, 2023, 6:36:58 PM9/18/23
I like it cold. There was always a large joint of salt-beef at my
Grandparents house at xmas and easter. I really must search out a piece
as I haven't had any like theirs since leaving the UK:-)

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 18, 2023, 8:52:16 PM9/18/23
Throw in some chopped celery and a finely minced shallot and report back
your opinion next time tuna is on the menu. If you're adventurous you could
even be risqué and add a teaspoon of celery seed in addition to the above
ingredients.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 18, 2023, 8:55:36 PM9/18/23
Ok, then you wouldn't like my egg salad as it indeed does have mayo in
it. My potato salad has a combination of sour cream and mayo, but
no eggs.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 19, 2023, 5:24:15 AM9/19/23
I'd go for some sliced, pimiento-stuffed green olives.

--
Cindy Hamilton

songbird

Sep 19, 2023, 8:12:41 PM9/19/23
jmcquown wrote:
> Well, I'm going to buy a cabbage fairly soon because I have a corned
> beef brisket in the freezer. I love corned beef brisket so when St.
> Patrick's day rolls around I buy two of them and stash one away to cook
> in the Fall. I'm about due corned beef brisket with cabbage. :) I cook
> the brisket in a little water in a covered crock pot with the packet of
> pickling spices that comes with it. I add a couple of extra bay leaves
> to the liquid. When the brisket just about fork tender I put quartered
> cabbage wedges on top, cover it and let it cook until the cabbage is
> tender. Love it! :)

sounds good to me. :)

songbird

songbird

Sep 19, 2023, 8:12:42 PM9/19/23
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> I agree. Hard-boiled eggs and tuna can stay on opposite sides of the
> street.

same here but Mom has been making them combined
the past several times. i'll eat it, it's food,
but won't make it that ways myself ever. i like
egg salad with a lot of things in it but tuna is
not one of those things. and i like tuna salad
with a lot of things in it (including the same
things i'd put in egg salad) but not eggs.

recently eggs have been good just peeled and i
put some ketchup and hotsauce on them while i'm
eating them.

in older times i'd make pickled eggs.

songbird

jmcquown

Sep 19, 2023, 9:34:41 PM9/19/23
It's delicious! Leftovers portion out easily to take package for lunch.
Anything left freezes nicely for later lunches or dinners, too. It
beats the hell out of opening a can of tinned corned beef.

Jill

bruce bowser

Sep 20, 2023, 2:28:17 PM9/20/23
At the salad bar in some places, I always eat those with French fries. They're a great combo!

bruce bowser

Sep 22, 2023, 3:26:23 PM9/22/23
On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 6:08:12 AM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
> On Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 6:05:35 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> > I split, seeded and roasted an acorn squash this afternoon. Put a
> > couple of TBS of butter in the center, sprinkled each half with lots of
> > salt & a little coursely ground pepper, roasted in the oven at 400F for
> > an hour. While they were cooking I did a load of laundry and went
> > outside and cut back some overgrown plants. Then I washed up and ate
> > the squash for lunch.
> >
> > I thawed two of the white boudin sausages, which, BTW, were every bit as
> > tasty as I remember them. I'll be cooking those for dinner. I might
> > have a scoop of coffee ice cream for "dessert".
> >
> > What's going on in your kitchen this fine Saturday?
> >
> > Jill
>
> Scrambled eggs and corned beef hash from a can in the AM, pizza for lunch and junk food throughout.
> The big cook was lasagna and cookies for a church function for my wife today.

This place called rec.food.cooking lacks VERY MUCH in worship of the creator. I never figured out why?

Graham

Sep 22, 2023, 3:28:18 PM9/22/23
And for that we can be grateful!!!!

GM

Sep 22, 2023, 3:39:36 PM9/22/23
Graham the Heretic...!!!

Hebrews 13:9:

"Do not be carried away by varied and strange teachings; for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by
grace, not by foods, through which those who were so occupied were not benefited..."

Acts 15:1:

"Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised
according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved...”

;-P

--
GM

Hank Rogers

Sep 22, 2023, 7:12:48 PM9/22/23
God has always been obcessed with men's diks.

GM

Sep 22, 2023, 7:27:38 PM9/22/23
"Mummy, does this mean that Popeye was 'saved'...???"

--
GM

Hank Rogers

Sep 22, 2023, 8:41:15 PM9/22/23
Only his penis, because it was baptized in his aunt's vagina.

So, when he dies, his Johnson will ascend to heaven, for god to
gnaw on. But the rest of the poor sailor will burn in hell.

Thus sayeth the lord thy gawd.