Creative Green Salads?

Susie Milner

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
I am attending our monthly "pot luck and cards" party this Saturday, and
the salad has somehow fallen to me. I generally try not to do the
salad, only because it's the one thing I don't have much of a repertiore
for. But I'm doing it this time, and I thought I'd ask for ideas here.

I tend to make a standard green salad with leaf lettuces, diced
vegetables (like carrots, celery, bell pepper), tomatoes (if in season)
and mushrooms. This lineup is getting a little blah. I do have a
couple of things I do for special salads, like add toasted pecans and
rub garlic in the salad bowl before I make the salad, but I need more
ideas about making a good salad. I don't really want to make Caesar
Salad, because of the salt content and the anchovies; also, the host is
making Fettucini Alfredo for the main course, and Caesar seems a bit
heavy to be paired with that (to me, anyway. Could be I just don't like
it!).

Any Green salad ideas out there? What kinds of greens are nice for a
special salad? What do you put in to complete the salad? Also, any
dressings that you make at home that I should consider? (I wouldn't
want to be one of those "tasteless" people who use bottled dressing :-).

Thanks a lot . . .

Susie Milner Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank;
Penn State University Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.
SX...@psuvm.psu.edu --TMBG

Christine Porter

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
In article <95312.07...@psuvm.psu.edu>
Susie Milner <SX...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

> I tend to make a standard green salad with leaf lettuces, diced
> vegetables (like carrots, celery, bell pepper), tomatoes (if in season)
> and mushrooms. This lineup is getting a little blah. I do have a
> couple of things I do for special salads, like add toasted pecans and
> rub garlic in the salad bowl before I make the salad, but I need more
> ideas about making a good salad. I don't really want to make Caesar
> Salad, because of the salt content and the anchovies; also, the host is
> making Fettucini Alfredo for the main course, and Caesar seems a bit
> heavy to be paired with that (to me, anyway. Could be I just don't like
> it!).
>
> Any Green salad ideas out there? What kinds of greens are nice for a
> special salad? What do you put in to complete the salad? Also, any
> dressings that you make at home that I should consider? (I wouldn't
> want to be one of those "tasteless" people who use bottled dressing :-).

Since it's accompanying fettucini alfredo, why not make an antipasto
salad? Use nice, tender greens, such as red-leaf and green-leaf
lettuce (I can't remember the name of that lettuce -- the soft, curly
stuff!) Add sliced marinated artichoke hearts, black olives, roasted
red pepper, bermuda onion, sliced mushrooms, garbanzo beans
(important), tomato (if you can find good ones), maybe a sliced yellow
bell pepper. If you want to get fancier, you can add cooked asparagas
tips. Minced Italian flat-leaf parsley and lots of coursely grated
fresh parmesan will complete it. A garlic vinegarette (maybe with a
bit of dijon mustard mixed in) is all that's needed for a salad
dressing. Make the vinegarette a few days before so the garlic can
really infuse.

Christine

mjf...@vms.cis.pitt.edu

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
In article <95312.07...@psuvm.psu.edu>, Susie Milner <SX...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
(paragraphs deleted)

> Any Green salad ideas out there? What kinds of greens are nice for a
> special salad? What do you put in to complete the salad? Also, any
> dressings that you make at home that I should consider? (I wouldn't
> want to be one of those "tasteless" people who use bottled dressing :-).

I love salads, especially those with a variety of lettuces/greens. A
good combination for you will depend a lot on what is available at a reasonable
price where you live. Bibb is very nice--tender and crisp. I also like
escarole mixed in; the white and light green parts are not bitter. Belgian
endive is addictively good. Radicchio adds nice color and some bitter bite.
Any of the last three added to an otherwise generic lettuce or mix of lettuces
will make a big difference.
Bell peppers are a nice addition. The yellow and orange ones are the
sweetest. For special salads, I slice mushrooms and marinate them in the
dressing (usually vinaigrette) for several hours. They taste great that way.
I have a good standard vinaigrette recipe I could post once I'm home.

-Marni

Jeff Benjamin

Nov 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/8/95
> I am attending our monthly "pot luck and cards" party this Saturday, and
> the salad has somehow fallen to me. I generally try not to do the
> salad, only because it's the one thing I don't have much of a repertiore
> for. But I'm doing it this time, and I thought I'd ask for ideas here.

How about omitting the leaves entirely? I often do a mixture of veggies
without any lettuce at all. Use a mixture of radishes, cucumber, carrot,
several colors of bell peppers, mushrooms (try various kinds, like big
slices of portabello, or shitakes), slivered green onion, and a few
special ingredients for special "zing" like capers or nicoise olives.

If you do want leaves, at least avoid the lettuce. Try endive (the
Belgian kind, or curly), dandelion greens, or raddichio.

For dressing, a vinaigrette is always simple to make. Start with high
quality olive oil and vinegar, add a mashed clove or two of galic, salt,
and pepper. Then pick one spice to predominate and match the food:
basil, thyme, marjoram. Accent with a little lemon, lime or orange
juice, again depending on the menu.

--
Jeff Benjamin be...@fc.hp.com
Hewlett Packard Co. Fort Collins, Colorado

Meg Fortino

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
Susie Milner <SX...@psuvm.psu.edu> wrote:
<snip>

> Any Green salad ideas out there? What kinds of greens are nice for a
> special salad? What do you put in to complete the salad? Also, any
> dressings that you make at home that I should consider? (I wouldn't
> want to be one of those "tasteless" people who use bottled dressing :-).

This one's originally from Eating Well. I've adapted to up the flavor
quite a bit, as we found it somewhat bland.

Avocado and Romaine w/ Black Olive Dressing

3 T orange juice concentrate, defrosted
2T extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 c pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine these ingredients to make the dressing.

Toss with:

1 firm but ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, wedged
1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
1/2 head romaine, washed, dried, sliced into thin strips.

Serves 4

Another from Eating Well. I use this one intact.

1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 head romaine or iceberg, washed and torn (10 cups)
1 large ripe tomato, cored and cut into wedges [may be difficult
to do this late in the season]
2 small new potatoes, cooked and cubed
1 T chopped fresh basil
1 T drained capers, rinsed and chopped
6 black olives, preferably Sicilian, pitted and chopped
1/2 c crumbled feta (2 oz)
2 T tomato juice
1 T olive oil
1 T red wine vinegar
salt and pepper

Soak onion slices in cold water for 10 minutes. Drain and place in
salad bowl with lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, basil, capers, olives,
and cheese. In small bowl, whisk together tomato juice, oil, and
vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and
toss.

Meg Fortino
meg.f...@marcam.com

Joel Ehrlich

Nov 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/11/95

Susie Milner wrote about Creative Green Salads? to
All on 08 Nov 95 04:46:21 saying...

SM> Any Green salad ideas out there? What kinds of greens are nice for a
SM> special salad? What do you put in to complete the salad? Also, any
SM> dressings that you make at home that I should consider? (I wouldn't
SM> want to be one of those "tasteless" people who use bottled dressing

Here are some ideas with which you might like to play:

Avocado Cobb Salad No. 1777 Yields 6 Servings

1 Medium Avocado, Peeled, 2 Cups Tomatoes, Chopped
Seeded & Diced 4 Hard Cooked Egg Whites
8 oz Turkey Breast, Roasted Chopped
& Chopped 2 Slices Bacon
2 Tbls Lemon Juice 6 Slices Pumpernickel
4 Cups Iceberg Lettuce, Torn
4 Cups Romaine Lettuce, Torn

Toss the avocado with the lemon juice.
Combine the lettuces in a large salad bowl.
Arrange the turkey, bacon, egg whites, tomatoes and avocado on top of the
lettuce.
Toss with selected dressing (try Cobb Salad Dressing) just before serving.
Serve with one slice of pumpernickel for each portion.

Bstn Ltc, Orng & Avcdo Sld w/Curry Lmn Drsg No. 2776Yields 6 Servings

1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard 1 Navel Orange
1/2 tsp Curry Powder 1 small Red Onion, Cut In Half
1/4 tsp Sugar & Sliced Very Thin
1/4 tsp Salt 1/4 Cup Fresh Coriander,
1 Clove Garlic, Minced Chopped
2 Tbls Lemon Juice 1 Medium Avocado
1/2 Cup Safflower Oil
2 Heads Boston Lettuce

Combine the mustard, curry powder, sugar, salt and garlic in a small bowl.
Blend in the lemon juice.
Use a small whisk to gradually beat in the oil.
Set the dressing aside.
Wash the lettuce in a sink filled with cold water.
Drain in a colander.
Dry in a salad spinner (or shake out excess water by vigorously shaking).
Wrap the lettuce in paper towels.
Place in a plastic bag.
Refrigerate for 1 or 2 hours.
Cut off 1/2" of orange from the stem end.
Discard.
Cut the remainder of the orange into 1/4 " thick slices.
Remove the peel from the slices.
Remove the white pith.
Separate the orange slices into triangular pieces.
Set aside.
Tear the lettuce into pieces.
Place in a salad bowl.
Add the onion, orange and fresh coriander.
Remove the pit from and peel the avocado.
Slice the avocado into the salad bowl.
Pour the dressing over.
Toss very gently - coat thoroughly.
Serve.

Citrus & Spinach Salad No. 347 Yields 4 Servings

Dressing: - black pepper, freshly
1/2 cup grapefruit juice ground to taste
2 tbls mustard, prepared Salad:
1/4 cup olive oil 4 cups spinach leaves, well
1/4 cup honey washed
2 tbls poppy seeds 1 cup orange sections
2 tbls onion, grated 1 cup grapefruit sections
1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup red onion rings

Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
Chill.
At serving time, place the salad ingredients in a salad bowl and toss with
the chilled dressing.

Chicago Bacon Salad No. 631 Yields 4 Servings

10 Slices Bacon, Thick Cut 2 tsp Tarragon Leaves
4 Slices Day Old Bread 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
Dressing: 1/2 Cup Salad Oil
4 Cloves Garlic, Pressed Greens:
1/2 Cup Balsamic Vinegar Lettuce
2 Tbls Lemon Juice Spinach
1 1/2 Tbls Dijon Mustard 3/4 Cup Blue Cheese, Crumbled
1 Tbls Chives, Minced

Cut the bacon into 1" lengths.
Saute until crisp.
Drain on paper towels.
Reserve the bacon grease.
Cut the day-old bread into 1" squares.
Add the bread to the bacon grease and saute slowly until crisp and brown.
Dressing:
Whisk the garlic, vinegar, lemon juice and mustard together in a mixing bowl.
Add the herbs.
Gradually whisk in the oils.

Season with salt and pepper.

Combine the greens, bacon, croutons (the toasted bread chunks) and blue cheese
in a salad bowl.
Add dressing to taste.
Toss at once and serve immediately.
Serve additional dressing alongside.

Classic Chef's Salad No. 1988 Yields 4 Servings

1 Head Iceberg Lettuce 1 Cup Cooked Ham, Julienned
12 Radishes, Trimmed & 1/8"x1/8"x1 1/2"
Sliced 1 Cup Cooked Turkey or
2 Stalks Celery, Julienned Chicken, Julienned
1 1/2 Cups Salad Dressing: French 1/8"x1/8"x1 1/2"
Creamy French, Russian 4 Hard Boiled Eggs,
or Thousand Island Quartered
4 Tomatoes, Cut Into 6 - Salt
Wedges Each - Pepper, Ground
3/4 Cup Swiss Cheese, Julienne
1/8"x1/8"x1 1/2"

Core the iceberg lettuce.
Save four outside pieces to use as the bed in which to put the salad.
Place the outside leaves around the edges of a large salad bowl.
Cut or tear the remaining leaves into bite size pieces.
Place them in the bowl.
Toss with the radishes, celery and half the dressing.
Arrange the tomato wedges around the inside edges of the lettuce.
Combine the cheese, ham and chicken.
Toss.
Spread over the lettuce and vegetables.
Place the hard boiled eggs between the tomato wedges.
Salt and pepper lightly over salad.
Spoon the remaining salad dressing over.
Serve.

Cobb Salad No. 2811 Yields 4 Servings

1/2 Head Iceberg Lettuce, Crumbled
Shredded 1 Avocado, Pitted,
1/2 Cup Watercress, Chopped Peeled & Sliced
1/2 Head Romaine, Cut Up 1 LARGE Tomato, Cut In Wedges
1 Cup Arugula, Cut Up 2 Hard Cooked Eggs, Cut
1/4 Cup Chives, Minced In Wedges
1 Chicken Breast, 4 Tbls Roquefort, Crumbled
Poached & Shredded 1/2 Cup Vinaigrette
1/4 Lb Bacon, Fried Crisp &

Toss the greens with the chives in a salad bowl.
Arrange the chicken, bacon, avocado, tomato and eggs on the lettuce.
Sprinkle the Roquefort over.
Toss with vinaigrette just before serving.

Cucumber & Red Onion Salad No. 2817 Yields 6 Servings

2 Cucumbers, Peeled & & Sliced Thin
Sliced Very Thin 5 Tbls Marinade & Dressing
- Salt (See Instructions)
1 Cup Cider Vinegar - Fresh Dill, Chopped
1/4 Cup Sugar for Garnish
1/2 Red Onion, Cut In Half

Place the cucumber slices in layers in a large colander, lightly salting each
layer before starting the next.
Place a large plate, weighted with a heavy object, on top of the layers of
cucumbers.
Place the colander over a large bowl (to catch the drippings).
Refrigerate.
Heat the vinegar, sugar and red onions in a saucepan over low heat until the
sugar dissolves (2-3 minutes).
Transfer to a serving bowl.
Cool.
Remove the cucumbers from the refrigerator.
Rinse thoroughly under cold water.
Pat dry with paper towels.
Add to the onion mixture.
Refrigerate, covered, for at least 3 hours (overnight is better).
Drain the mixture, reserving the amount of marinade/dressing specified in the
ingredients.
Toss the salad with the dressing.
Garnish with chopped fresh dill.
Serve.

Gigi Salad No. 322 Yields 4 Servings

1 lb green string beans seeded, cored and
1 large Spanish onion diced
3/4 lb bacon slices, lean 3 tbls olive oil
1/2 lemon 1 tbls red-wine vinegar
1 lb shrimp salt to taste
1 large tomato, ripe, or black pepper, freshly
2 medium tomatoes, ripe, ground, to taste

Wash the beans.
Discard the tops.
Cut them into 1" pieces.
Boil in salted water until tender but still crisp, about 5 minutes.
Refresh the beans by placing them under cold running water.
Dry them in a salad spinner.
Chop the onion medium fine so that it retains some texture.
Place the cooked beans and the chopped onion in a large bowl.
Cover with plastic wrap.
Chill for about 1 hour.
Chop the bacon slices into 1" pieces.
Fry crisp.
Remove from the pan.
Drain on paper towels.
Let cool to room temperature.
Crumble slightly.
Set aside.
Place the lemon and the shrimp in a large saucepan of boiling, salted
water.
When the water returns to a boil, remove the shrimp and let them
cool.
Peel the shrimp.
Cut them into 3/4" dice.
Remove the onions and beans from the refrigerator.
Add the crumbled bacon, chopped shrimp, the tomato and olive oil.
Mix thoroughly.
Add the vinegar.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve.

Greens w/Fresh Herb Dressing No. 3547 Yields 4 Servings

1/2 Lb Fresh Mixed Greens Chopped Fine
DRESSING: 1 tsp Fresh Parsley, Chopped
1/2 Cup Orange Juice Fine
2 Tbls Clover Honey GARNISH:
1 Pinch Salt 12 Mandarin Orange
- White Pepper, Ground Segments
1 tsp Fresh Chervil, Chopped 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, Cored
Fine Seeded & Cut Into
1 tsp Fresh Chives, Chopped Narrow Strips
Fine - Hazelnuts, Chopped
1 tsp Fresh Tarragon,

Place the mixed greens in a salad bowl.
Combine all the ingredients for the dressing together.
Whisk thoroughly.
Drizzle the dressing over the greens.
Toss gently.
Divide the salad into portions.
Place on serving plates.
Place 3 orange segments, several strips of red bell pepper and a sprinkling of
ground hazelnuts on each serving.
Serve at once.

Mezzaluna Salad No. 324 Yields 4 Servings

6 marinated artichoke hearts, 1 sm. head radicchio, washed,
drained and sliced dried thoroughly and
thin torn into bite-size
1/2 small fennel bulb, chopped pieces
medium-fine 1/4 lb Parmesan cheese, im-
1 stalk celery, chopped med- ported, shaved thin
ium-fine 2 tbls balsamic vinegar
1 tbls olive oil salt to taste
4 tbls olive oil pepper, freshly ground
1 bunch arugula, washed, dried to taste
thoroughly and torn
into bite-size pieces

Mix the sliced artichoke hearts with the chopped fennel and celery and the
first measure of olive oil in a medium size bowl.
Put 1 tablespoon or so of this mixture in the bottom of each individual salad
bowl.
Divide the shredded arugula and radicchio among the bowls.
Top each with the shaved Parmesan cheese.
Pour the second measure of olive oil over the individual salads, about 1
tablespoon for each bowl.
Pour the balsamic vinegar over each individual salad, about 1/2 tablespoon for
each bowl. (The oil-to-vinegar ratio should be approximately 2 to 1.)
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Mixed Greens w/Fried Camembert No. 171 Yields 8 Servings

2 cups Bibb lettuce, rinsed, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
spun dry, and torn 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
into bite-size pieces 1/4 cup red wine, dry
5 cups red-leaf lettuce, 3/4 cup sunflower oil
rinsed, spun dry, and 1 cup bread crumbs, fine,
torn into bite-size fresh
pieces 1/4 cup almonds, blanched,
1 bunch watercress, coarse ground
stems discarded and 1/2 lb Camembert, firm-ripe
the sprigs rinsed, wheel, chilled and cut
spun dry, and chopped into wedges
1/4 cup dill, fresh, minced 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
1 tbls Dijon-style mustard vegetable oil for
1 tsp sugar deep-frying the cheese

Combine the lettuces, watercress and dill in a large bowl.
Whisk the mustard, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, wine and salt and
pepper to taste together in a small bowl.
Add the sunflower oil in a stream, whisking until the dressing is emulsified.
Combine the bread crumbs and the almonds in a small bowl.
Dip the Camembert wedges into the eggs, letting the excess drip off.
Roll them in the crumb mixture, coating them well.
Heat 2" of vegetable oil to 375 degrees on a deep-fat thermometer.
Fry the cheese wedges for 1 to 2 minutes or until they are golden.
Transfer them to paper towels to drain.
Toss the greens with the dressing.
Divide them among the salad plates.
Top each serving with 2 wedges of the fried Camembert.

Mustardy Beet Salad No. 340 Yields 4 Servings

Salad: 1 tsp sugar
4 medium beets, unpeeled, or 2 tbls dill, chopped fresh,
1 16-oz can beets, sliced, drained or
Dressing: 2 tsps dillweed, dried
2 tbls lemon juice 1 tbls parsley, chopped fresh
2 tbls Dijon mustard 1 dash black pepper, freshly
1 tbls cider vinegar ground
1 tbls salad oil

Cook the beets in water to cover until they are just tender (about 1 hour).
Peel and slice them crosswise.
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl.
Add the beets to the bowl.
Stir gently to coat with the dressing.
Chill for about 1 hour before serving.

Rancho Santa Fe Salad No. 791 Yields 4 Servings

1 Head Iceberg Lettuce 1/4 Cup Wine Vinegar
7 oz Marinated Artichoke 1/4 tsp Oregano Leaves, Dried
Hearts 1/4 tsp Basil Leaves, Dried
1 Avocado, Sliced 1/4 tsp Dry Mustard
1 Cup Sharp Cheddar, 1/4 tsp Pepper, Ground
Shredded 1 tsp Salt
2 oz Pimento Strips 1 tsp Paprika
12 Corn Tortillas 1 tsp Chili Powder
Oil for Frying 1 Clove Garlic, Pressed
Dressing:
3/4 Cup Olive OIl

Thoroughly chill the lettuce.
Tear the lettuce into pieces and place in a LARGE bowl.
Toss with the marinated artichoke hearts, avocado slices, shredded cheese and
drained pimento strips.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a blender container.
Blend thoroughly and let sit to allow the flavors to merge.
Place the tortillas in a stack.
Cut into wedges, making 6 stacks.
Heat 1/2" of oil in a deep (2 qt.) pan.
When the oil is hot enough to make a tortilla sizzle (350 degrees to 375 degree
stack of tortilla wedges.
Stir to separate.
Cook until crisp (about 1 minute).
Lift with a slotted spoon.
Drain.
Repeat with the remaining stacks.
Sprinkle the fried tortilla chips lightly with salt.
Drizzle the dressing liberally over the salad.
Toss well.
Serve with the tortilla chips alongside.

Wilted Salad No. 2599 Yields 4 Servings

2 Heads Leaf Lettuce, Spinach, 1/4 Cup Vinegar
Dandelion Leaves, etc. 1 tsp Sugar
2 Slices Bacon, Cut Into 1/4" 1 Tbls Parsley, Chopped
Strips

Wash the greens.
Toss in a salad bowl.
Fry the bacon until crisp.
Drain thoroughly.
Add the vinegar and sugar to the bacon drippings.
Bring to a boil.
Pour over the greens.
Toss lightly.
Top with the bacon and parsley.
Serve immediately.

Tossed Spinach Salad No. 3534 Yields 4 Servings

12 LARGE Eggs 1/8 tsp Salt
2 Tbls Corn Oil 3 Cups Spinach, Chopped
1 tsp Dried Sesame Seed 1 Cup Mushrooms, Sliced
4 tsp Lime Juice 1/2 Cup Radish, Sliced
1/4 tsp Dry Mustard

Hard cook the eggs.
Cool and shell.
Slice.
Set them aside.
Combine the oil, sesame seeds, lime juice, mustard and salt in a small, well
stoppered jar.
Shake well.
Chill.
Combine the spinach, mushrooms and radishes in a salad bowl.
Shake the well chilled dressing thoroughly.
Pour over the salad.
Toss until well mixed.
Top with the egg slices.
Serve.

Joel

Betsy Karpenkopf

Nov 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/12/95
In article <95312.07...@psuvm.psu.edu>, Susie Milner <SX...@psuvm.psu.edu> says:

>I am attending our monthly "pot luck and cards" party this Saturday, and
>the salad has somehow fallen to me. I generally try not to do the
>salad, only because it's the one thing I don't have much of a repertiore
>for. But I'm doing it this time, and I thought I'd ask for ideas here.
>
>I tend to make a standard green salad with leaf lettuces, diced
>vegetables (like carrots, celery, bell pepper), tomatoes (if in season)
>and mushrooms. This lineup is getting a little blah. I do have a
>couple of things I do for special salads, like add toasted pecans and
>rub garlic in the salad bowl before I make the salad, but I need more
>ideas about making a good salad. I don't really want to make Caesar
>Salad, because of the salt content and the anchovies; also, the host is
>making Fettucini Alfredo for the main course, and Caesar seems a bit
>heavy to be paired with that (to me, anyway. Could be I just don't like
>it!).
>
>Any Green salad ideas out there? What kinds of greens are nice for a
>special salad? What do you put in to complete the salad? Also, any
>dressings that you make at home that I should consider? (I wouldn't
>want to be one of those "tasteless" people who use bottled dressing :-).
>
>Thanks a lot . . .
>
>Susie Milner Speak softly, drive a Sherman tank;
>Penn State University Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.
>SX...@psuvm.psu.edu --TMBG

We have a huge salad for supper a few times a week. My husband is
in charge of this, and here are a few of his more recent additions.
You can add any combination of the following and I'm sure your
salad will be a hit:

Pomegranate seeds, home-made spicy croutons made from whole-grain
bread, shaved parmesan, crumbled feta cheese, toasted sunflower seeds
or pine nuts, fresh basil leaves, fresh thyme, fresh chives,
a handful of Herbes de Provence, good quality black olives.

As for greens, use whatever you can find at a good greengrocers and the
more the merrier - red leaf lettuce, mache, spinach, swiss chard,
bok choy, cabbage, arugula - throw in whatever you find.

Regarding dressing- we usually don't get too fancy - just some good
quality olive oil and a nice vinegar (red wine, balsamic, raspberry),
with maybe some Dijon mustard mixed in.

I also like to grind on black pepper and some coarse salt.

Enjoy!

Betsy

Lauretta Nagel

Nov 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/14/95

One that I tried last weekend turned out pretty well:

Torn Romaine and Raddichio (sp?)
One apple (Golden Delicious I think), sliced in matchstick pieces

Dressing: 1/4 cup (might have been less) Lime juice
1 teaspoon Country-Style Dijon Mustard
1/2 cup light oil (Crisco? don't remember)

Jacques Pepin was the inspiration....but he added carmelised walnuts
and crumbled goat cheese.

I'm going to try adding bacon bits and parmesan to it and have it for
dinner tonight.

Lauretta Nagel

Holly Francis

Nov 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/16/95
In article <484q0p$1n...@ilx018.iil.intel.com> betsy_ka...@ccm.jer.intel.com (Betsy Karpenkopf) writes:
>From: betsy_ka...@ccm.jer.intel.com (Betsy Karpenkopf)
>Subject: Re: Creative Green Salads?

>>Any Green salad ideas out there?

Our church has a vegetarian dinner every Wednesday night, with wonderful food.
Last week we had a Curried Pumpkin Soup (outstanding!) and a great salad
-- spinach and other dark greens, Granny Smith apple chunks and walnut pieces
-- served with a homemade poppyseed dressing. Maybe you could try this salad
combination, sorry I don't have the dressing recipe, but could provide the
soup recipe if anyone wants it!

Hope this gives you some ideas!
Holly Francis

Madelin Holtkamp

Nov 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/21/95
> >From: betsy_ka...@ccm.jer.intel.com (Betsy Karpenkopf)
> >Subject: Re: Creative Green Salads?
>
> >>Any Green salad ideas out there?

One I like is a regular green salad with these additions:

crumbled feta cheese
quartered, unpeeled oranges sliced paper thin
paper thin slices of red onion
a few pitted Kalamata olives

Use an oregano/garlic vinaigrette.

Also, an ex-SO made a salad once that had small cooked shrimp and sliced
peaches added to the greens, with some hot pepper flakes in the dressing.

MrsWordwvr

Nov 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/22/95
Here's a couple of salad ideas you may have forgotten. . . .

Pea Salad (it's green!!)

3 cans of green peas, drained
1/2 onion, chopped fine
2 celery stalks, chopped fine
1 small jar pimentos, drained and chopped
mayonnaise to moisten
salt & pepper
grated cheese if you like

Cucumber Onion Salad (a little lighter green)

1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
6 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
salt and pepper
vinegar and oil (use 1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil)
sugar to taste

Last but not least is a variation on the cucumber onion salad. I first
tasted it at my Israeli friends home. I named the salad after them.

Berachah Salad (read Bra Ha . . it means "blessing")

5 tomatoes, washed and sliced in bite size pieces
3 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
5 scallions, chopped fine
toss with Good Seasons Italian dressing. . .the kind you mix yourself

Beth