Halloween candy

Nancy Young

Oct 16, 2006, 8:51:16 AM10/16/06
What candy will I be sick of by Christmas this year?
This year it's Milky Way bars for me. Grabbed a box
at (where else?) Costco, I'll wind up with my usual
8 kids and I'll have 28 full sized bars left over.

Or I'll have one of those years where I'll get a lot of kids.
It's those years that make me way over-buy candy every
year.

I might go back to Costco to get a bag of candy eyeballs.
For the kids. Or I might get some skittles or something,
for trick r treaters who don't want chocolate.

Anyone else ready?

nancy

JoeSpareBedroom

Oct 16, 2006, 8:56:05 AM10/16/06
"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote in message

I believe it's General Mills which sells granola bars in display boxes for
convenience stores. If so, I can get that type of thing at a local "cash &
carry" distributor (wholesale prices, and they don't care if you're buying
them for your little grocery store, or personal use). Although g-bars are
not like a bowl of oatmeal, at least they're something I use during the rest
of the year. Check your yellow pages for grocery wholesalers if this sounds
interesting. Or, maybe Costco sells these boxes.

Nancy Young

Oct 16, 2006, 9:00:23 AM10/16/06

"JoeSpareBedroom" <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote

> "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote

>> What candy will I be sick of by Christmas this year?
>> This year it's Milky Way bars for me. Grabbed a box
>> at (where else?) Costco, I'll wind up with my usual
>> 8 kids and I'll have 28 full sized bars left over.

> I believe it's General Mills which sells granola bars in display boxes for

> convenience stores. If so, I can get that type of thing at a local "cash &
> carry" distributor (wholesale prices, and they don't care if you're buying
> them for your little grocery store, or personal use). Although g-bars are
> not like a bowl of oatmeal, at least they're something I use during the
> rest of the year. Check your yellow pages for grocery wholesalers if this
> sounds interesting. Or, maybe Costco sells these boxes.

That's a terrific idea. I have a tradition of giving out regular (not fun)
size candy bars, but those are a very good thing to give, too. Probably
not much lower in calaries, but better for you. People give out
microwave popcorn packets, too. Not that it's better, just kicking
around ideas.

nancy

JoeSpareBedroom

Oct 16, 2006, 9:03:59 AM10/16/06
"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote in message

I like the popcorn idea. There've been lots of Pop Secret coupons lately,
too, usually for buying 3 boxes. They make a "personal size" popcorn - more
packets in a box.

Andy

Oct 16, 2006, 9:42:30 AM10/16/06
Nancy Young said...

If I can't find SweetTarts, it'll be Starburst. (36-count box).

I got so few kids last year. They've all grown up and want beer! That or
they can now drive into town where it's flatland, the housing is much
more congested so they can really cash in on candy in a hurry.

Andy

Zywicki

Oct 16, 2006, 9:52:54 AM10/16/06

You can alway give the rest away later, at work, to a school or
hospital or charity.

Greg Zywicki

JoeSpareBedroom

Oct 16, 2006, 9:56:04 AM10/16/06
"Andy" <q> wrote in message news:Xns985E62C...@216.196.97.136...

Did you ever see the episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond", where he thinks
he's giving away chocolate coins to kids, but they turn out to be condoms?
:-)

Dave

Oct 16, 2006, 10:13:07 AM10/16/06
Last year for Halloween we took our little toddlers trick or treating
and ended up with all kinds of candy. They had fun eating it, and then
I separated out all of the chocolate items, tossed them in a pan and
melted it down over low heat into a chocolate 'sludge'. Then we poured
it into molds. If you've ever wondered what kit-kats + hersheys +
milky ways + snickers + peanut butter cups + ... taste like all
combined together, it was really, really good. I'm thinking this year
I'll try tossing in the nerds and other similar candies as well.

I don't think it was good for us at all, but we all enjoyed it.

Andy

Oct 16, 2006, 10:20:56 AM10/16/06
JoeSpareBedroom said...

Heh heh heh.

Sorry, no. I don't watch TV shows that use a laugh track.

Andy

JoeSpareBedroom

Oct 16, 2006, 10:22:17 AM10/16/06
"Andy" <q> wrote in message news:Xns985E695...@216.196.97.136...

I don't much either, but this show out of hand.

Little Malice

Oct 16, 2006, 10:55:49 AM10/16/06

We're doing the "Trunk or Treat" thing at Buddy's school this
year (we generally don't get anyone at the house), but yeah, I'm
mostly ready. I bought a 5 pound bag of assorted candies; Tootsie
Rolls, Laffy Taffy, stuff like that. I let Buddy pick it out. I
still have to do a test run on decorating the back of the car,
but I've got most of my materials, except for the dry ice...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Little Malice

Oct 16, 2006, 11:00:56 AM10/16/06
One time on Usenet, Andy <q> said:
> Nancy Young said...
>
> > What candy will I be sick of by Christmas this year?
> > This year it's Milky Way bars for me. Grabbed a box
> > at (where else?) Costco, I'll wind up with my usual
> > 8 kids and I'll have 28 full sized bars left over.

<snip>

> If I can't find SweetTarts, it'll be Starburst. (36-count box).

Good choices!

> I got so few kids last year. They've all grown up and want beer!

Heh, you reminded me of my father, who used to take us Trick or
Treating with a shot glass in his hand. This was a very small town,
of course... :-)

-L.

Oct 16, 2006, 11:14:44 AM10/16/06

Nancy Young wrote:
<snip>

> Anyone else ready?
>
> nancy

I was going to give out non-candy prizes, but I decided I was too cheap
when I started looking at candy at the dollar store. I got 101 pieces
of gummball for a buck, as well as packs of 50 candy stciks wrapped in
Super Hero boxes. I also picked up some yummy lollipops and some gelly
bats in bulk at our local Winco. So far I have 200 pieces of candy - I
hope that's enough. We get tons of TOTers.

DS is going to a party as a baby elephant this year, if I can get him
to wear his costume. Otherwise he will be a stubborn "Terrible
Two-er." ;)

-L.

Nexis

Oct 16, 2006, 11:43:13 AM10/16/06

"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote in message

So far, I've bought the gummi body parts, eyeballs, pop rocks, and baby bottle pops
that turn your tongue black. I haven't picked out the chocolate yet. Well, except for
sixlets, but there's no guarantee there'll be any left for Halloween! lol

I try to get things that the kids aren't getting at every other house on the block,
plus we have a pumpkin party every year, so I make little treat bags for that as
well.

kimberly

Message has been deleted

Stan Horwitz

Oct 16, 2006, 12:35:21 PM10/16/06
In article <b8-dndw8I4TaHa7Y...@comcast.com>,
"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:

My parents just give out quarters. That way, they are not tempted to eat
the junk food, plus the kids get a little money for their piggy banks,
and anything left over goes into my parents' piggy bank.

I haven't been home on Halloween for at least the last ten years. I
usually go to one of my friend's houses for dinner, then I take their
kids out trick or treating while their parents stay home to give out
treats to the other kids in their neighborhood. As a result, I am
guaranteed not to have to deal with what to give out this year for
Halloween.

Little Malice

Oct 16, 2006, 12:37:46 PM10/16/06
One time on Usenet, Stan Horwitz <st...@temple.edu> said:

<snip>

> My parents just give out quarters. That way, they are not tempted to eat
> the junk food, plus the kids get a little money for their piggy banks,
> and anything left over goes into my parents' piggy bank.

Oh, I used to love people like your folks when I was a kid... :-)

Andy

Oct 16, 2006, 12:40:13 PM10/16/06
Little Malice said...

>> I got so few kids last year. They've all grown up and want beer!
>
> Heh, you reminded me of my father, who used to take us Trick or
> Treating with a shot glass in his hand. This was a very small town,
> of course... :-)

Jani,

My neighbor would bring her kids to trick or treat around the
neighborhood and invite everyone on the street to her house after 9 pm on
Halloween. They'd make a big bon-fire and we'd all sit around the fire
and drink mugs of hot muld wine while the kids ran around and layed
around in a "heads to toes" human puzzle shape around the adults and
around the fire, looking up at the stars and eating candy, etc., while
we'd get buzzed and shoot the bull, staying warm by the heat of the fire.
It was great. It was like adults/kids camp for a couple hours. Sadly they
moved away after 2002. [sigh]

Andy

Little Malice

Oct 16, 2006, 2:52:27 PM10/16/06
One time on Usenet, Andy <q> said:
> Little Malice said...
>
> >> I got so few kids last year. They've all grown up and want beer!
> >
> > Heh, you reminded me of my father, who used to take us Trick or
> > Treating with a shot glass in his hand. This was a very small town,
> > of course... :-)

> My neighbor would bring her kids to trick or treat around the

> neighborhood and invite everyone on the street to her house after 9 pm on
> Halloween. They'd make a big bon-fire and we'd all sit around the fire
> and drink mugs of hot muld wine while the kids ran around and layed
> around in a "heads to toes" human puzzle shape around the adults and
> around the fire, looking up at the stars and eating candy, etc., while
> we'd get buzzed and shoot the bull, staying warm by the heat of the fire.
> It was great. It was like adults/kids camp for a couple hours. Sadly they
> moved away after 2002. [sigh]

Oh, that sounds so nice -- sorry they moved away. It really sucks
to lose a good neighbor...

Andy

Oct 16, 2006, 3:52:01 PM10/16/06
Little Malice said...

Jani,

Since I gave out THE BEST candy (by their own admission), the kids used
to leave and come back! "Didn't I see you earlier?" "um, er..." and I'd
through another handful of candy in their bags and they'd race off
beaming!

And now they're in college and the empty nesters have sold their homes
and moved away.

Maybe a new wave of youngsters will appear this Halloween. I CAN'T be
caught offguard.

Andy

merryb

Oct 16, 2006, 4:07:15 PM10/16/06
Yep- I have my chicken embryos and beer ready.

JoeSpareBedroom

Oct 16, 2006, 4:09:19 PM10/16/06
"merryb" <msg...@juno.com> wrote in message

Now, YOU are the kind of neighbor I want, along with the Adams family.

Puester

Oct 16, 2006, 4:26:21 PM10/16/06
Andy wrote:

> And now they're in college and the empty nesters have sold their homes
> and moved away.
>
> Maybe a new wave of youngsters will appear this Halloween. I CAN'T be
> caught offguard.

That pretty much describes our situation, too. When we first moved here
we had ~200 kids the first few years. Lately, depending on the weather,
we get anywhere from 5-20. We have sleet or snow so often on Halloween
that it should be in the Farmer's Almanac.

I hedged my bets this year--bought Tootsie Pops which neither of us
particularly likes. We hand out 2-3 per kid. All the leftovers I will
take to my airport volunteer job to hand out to little kids (after I get
permission from parents.) The kids love it and most parents are very
happy to have the treat/diversion for the kids.

gloria p

Andy

Oct 16, 2006, 4:53:16 PM10/16/06
Puester said...

gloria p,

Tootsie-Pops. You reminded me. Last time the post office held a food-bank
drive, (put your food donation in your mailbox and the mailman collects
it and it's all delivered to the food banks in the region), I bought four
boxes of "Astro Pops". Instead of the tootsie roll center, the middle is
bubble gum.

I thought, homeless families include kids too, and food is one thing but
candy is a treat, so for 800 kids in homeless families at the food banks,
they got a longer lasting desert after they eat. Then they can be like
regular kids and just walk around blowing bubbles. A little temporary
normalcy?

Well, that's what I hoped, anyway.

Andy

Damsel in dis Dress

Oct 16, 2006, 5:01:36 PM10/16/06
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:53:16 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Tootsie-Pops. You reminded me. Last time the post office held a food-bank
>drive, (put your food donation in your mailbox and the mailman collects
>it and it's all delivered to the food banks in the region), I bought four
>boxes of "Astro Pops". Instead of the tootsie roll center, the middle is
>bubble gum.
>
>I thought, homeless families include kids too, and food is one thing but
>candy is a treat, so for 800 kids in homeless families at the food banks,
>they got a longer lasting desert after they eat. Then they can be like
>regular kids and just walk around blowing bubbles. A little temporary
>normalcy?
>
>Well, that's what I hoped, anyway.

You're a good person, Andy.

Andy

Oct 16, 2006, 5:30:45 PM10/16/06
Damsel in dis Dress said...

> You're a good person, Andy.

Thanks Damsel!

You are too!

Andy

JoeSpareBedroom

Oct 16, 2006, 5:31:58 PM10/16/06
"Andy" <q> wrote in message news:Xns985EB22...@216.196.97.136...

Hey! Get a room, will ya? :-)

Andy

Oct 16, 2006, 5:50:31 PM10/16/06
JoeSpareBedroom said...

Hey! THWACK!

Andy

StephanieM

Oct 16, 2006, 6:11:52 PM10/16/06
I have been giving out full sized candy bars, and packages of crayons
for a few years now. One of my fondest memories of growing up was
going door to door on Halloween, and when I was about 8, I wanted my
house to be the cool one that gave out good candy.

Andy

Oct 16, 2006, 6:35:29 PM10/16/06
StephanieM said...

StephanieM,

I've been tossing around an idea of turning the tables on the trick or
treaters...

"You can HAVE candy OR...... you can take these Reddi-Whipcream pies and
throw them in my face!"

The young ones can just walk it in MUSH it in.

I'm still working out the logistics! :D

???

Andy

jmcquown

Oct 16, 2006, 7:21:25 PM10/16/06
Nancy Young wrote:
> What candy will I be sick of by Christmas this year?
> This year it's Milky Way bars for me. Grabbed a box
> at (where else?) Costco, I'll wind up with my usual
> 8 kids and I'll have 28 full sized bars left over.
>
> Anyone else ready?

Nope. I've lived in this apartment going on 10 years. The first couple of
years I bought candy... no little ghouls or ghoulettes came around. I wound
up giving it away at the office since I'm not into sweets. After year two I
stopped even bothering with it. I also keep the front porch light off.

Jill

Nancy Young

Oct 16, 2006, 7:26:19 PM10/16/06

"jmcquown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote

Then you're ready! No muss, no fuss.

nancy

Damsel in dis Dress

Oct 16, 2006, 8:49:20 PM10/16/06

I heard you have a spare room available....

Damsel in dis Dress

Oct 16, 2006, 8:50:58 PM10/16/06

That's my boy! I've trained you well. :D

JoeSpareBedroom

Oct 16, 2006, 9:14:25 PM10/16/06
"Damsel in dis Dress" <damsel.in...@gmail.com> wrote in message

$322.22 per night. Includes window.

zxcvbob

Oct 16, 2006, 9:17:39 PM10/16/06
Nancy Young wrote:
> What candy will I be sick of by Christmas this year?
> This year it's Milky Way bars for me. Grabbed a box
> at (where else?) Costco, I'll wind up with my usual
> 8 kids and I'll have 28 full sized bars left over.
>
> Or I'll have one of those years where I'll get a lot of kids.
> It's those years that make me way over-buy candy every
> year.
>
> I might go back to Costco to get a bag of candy eyeballs.
> For the kids. Or I might get some skittles or something,
> for trick r treaters who don't want chocolate.
>
> Anyone else ready?
>
> nancy

I gotta stop by Sam's Club and get one of those huge bags of Starlight
mints. They are so cheap, I can splurge and give the kids two or even
three pieces.

Bob

Felice Friese

Oct 16, 2006, 9:26:00 PM10/16/06

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> What candy will I be sick of by Christmas this year?
>> This year it's Milky Way bars for me. Grabbed a box
>> at (where else?) Costco, I'll wind up with my usual
>> 8 kids and I'll have 28 full sized bars left over.
>>
>> Anyone else ready?

I've laid in my usual heavy supply of Reese's peanut butter cups despite the
fact that this year I'm in a high-rise in Boston and we don't have
trick-or-treaters. Old habits die hard.

Erma Bombeck did a great bit about stocking up for "the Davenport kids" next
door. Of course, there were no Davenport kids next door, but ... .

Felice

Nancy Young

Oct 16, 2006, 9:32:37 PM10/16/06

"Felice Friese" <fri...@comcast.net> wrote

>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> What candy will I be sick of by Christmas this year?
>>> This year it's Milky Way bars for me. Grabbed a box
>>> at (where else?) Costco, I'll wind up with my usual
>>> 8 kids and I'll have 28 full sized bars left over.
>>>
>>> Anyone else ready?
>
> I've laid in my usual heavy supply of Reese's peanut butter cups despite
> the fact that this year I'm in a high-rise in Boston and we don't have
> trick-or-treaters. Old habits die hard.

(smile) I waved at you earlier this week ... okay, I waved
in your general direction while I was on the Duck Tour and
we were in the Copley area.

> Erma Bombeck did a great bit about stocking up for "the Davenport kids"
> next door. Of course, there were no Davenport kids next door, but ...

(laugh!) Erma Bombeck, her columns were priceless.

nancy

Damsel in dis Dress

Oct 16, 2006, 10:27:37 PM10/16/06

Hmmm <frowning> Do you have one without a window? I'm on a budget.

JoeSpareBedroom

Oct 17, 2006, 2:06:01 AM10/17/06
"Damsel in dis Dress" <damsel.in...@gmail.com> wrote in message

$302.34 includes male ho. There are no other deals available.

Andy

Oct 17, 2006, 6:24:00 AM10/17/06
Damsel in dis Dress said...

> That's my boy! I've trained you well. :D

http://www.tinyurl.com/yjdr22

Felice Friese

Oct 17, 2006, 9:29:42 AM10/17/06

> "Felice Friese" <fri...@comcast.net> wrote

>> I've laid in my usual heavy supply of Reese's peanut butter cups despite
>> the fact that this year I'm in a high-rise in Boston and we don't have
>> trick-or-treaters. Old habits die hard.
>
> (smile) I waved at you earlier this week ... okay, I waved
> in your general direction while I was on the Duck Tour and
> we were in the Copley area.

<snip>

Oh, was that you I saw you from my balcony overlooking the Duck Tour
"embarkation point" on Huntington Avenue? So who was your guide? The Pirate?
Paul Revere? The Viking? It's very funny to see them in full costume in the
aisles at the corner Shaw's market.

So next time you're in Boston, stop by and say hello. That goes for the rest
of you, too!

Felice

Nancy Young

Oct 17, 2006, 9:47:35 AM10/17/06

"Felice Friese" <fri...@comcast.net> wrote

> "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote

>> "Felice Friese" <fri...@comcast.net> wrote
>
>>> I've laid in my usual heavy supply of Reese's peanut butter cups despite
>>> the fact that this year I'm in a high-rise in Boston and we don't have
>>> trick-or-treaters. Old habits die hard.
>>
>> (smile) I waved at you earlier this week ... okay, I waved
>> in your general direction while I was on the Duck Tour and
>> we were in the Copley area.

> Oh, was that you I saw you from my balcony overlooking the Duck Tour

> "embarkation point" on Huntington Avenue? So who was your guide? The
> Pirate? Paul Revere? The Viking? It's very funny to see them in full
> costume in the aisles at the corner Shaw's market.

It was Penny Wise, she dresses as a Navy seaman ... peacoat,
hat, the real pants with all the buttons. She is a riot. We departed
from the museum which has become *impossible* to get to, for
someone from out of town. One minute you're by the hospital, it's
all good, I know we're almost there! then you're in a tunnel taking
you far, far away.

Love that new bridge. Just beautiful. I got to see it from all
sides. Unintentionally. (laugh)

> So next time you're in Boston, stop by and say hello. That goes for the
> rest of you, too!

You're so hospitable, thank you. I just love your city.

nancy

Message has been deleted

Damsel in dis Dress

Oct 17, 2006, 3:30:26 PM10/17/06
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 06:06:01 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
<dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" <damsel.in...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 01:14:25 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
>> <dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Damsel in dis Dress" <damsel.in...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>$322.22 per night. Includes window.
>>
>> Hmmm <frowning> Do you have one without a window? I'm on a budget.
>
>$302.34 includes male ho. There are no other deals available.

I thought ANDY was my male ho'. No price cut if I provide my own ho'?

JoeSpareBedroom

Oct 17, 2006, 3:32:16 PM10/17/06
"Damsel in dis Dress" <damsel.in...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nope.

Damsel in dis Dress

Oct 17, 2006, 4:23:42 PM10/17/06
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:32:16 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
<dishbo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Sheesh! No wonder that bedroom remains spare! Hmph!