Cooking Cockroaches

John Gaughan

Jun 1, 2003, 3:19:39 AM6/1/03
> Please note, I do not have any gas for the stove, so I will have to
> cook them outdoors by building a fire in a garbage dumpster.

Try taking the money you spend on your Internet connection and pay for
gas instead. You can heat the stove *and* your furnace in one payment!

John Gaughan
jo...@johngaughan.net

Victor Sack

Jun 1, 2003, 3:23:50 AM6/1/03
<user0...@mcspubliclibrary.org> wrote:

> Does anyone have any
> good recipes?

See <http://www.usanetwork.com/movies/theynest/recipes.html>. Here is a
sample recipe, a favourite of mine.

Gregor
who is a beetle, not a cockroach

GREGOR SAMSA'S SAMOSAS

Ingredients:
24 frozen American cockroaches, thawed and stripped of
limbs, wings, and antennae, and de-waxed (see note below)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium-sized sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2/3 cup cooked corn
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
Pinch of flour
4 spring roll sheets
2 cups peanut oil

Directions:
1) Heat the vegetable oil, then briefly fry the garlic and pepper.

2) Add the other ingredients, stirring constantly until vegetables are
al dente (cooked just enough to retain a somewhat firm texture) and the
cockroaches are cooked through.

3) Cut each spring roll sheet into long, 1-inch strips. Place a dollop
of filling on each strip and fold over the corner, creating a triangle.
Fold over five more times, sealing the final fold with paste made from
flour and water.

4) Heat the peanut oil in a frying pan until the oil is hot but not
smoking. Deep fry each samosa until golden brown. Drain and serve.

Yield: 4 servings

Note: A cockroach's body is covered with a thin coating of wax. In some
species (including Periplaneta americana), this wax has a slightly acrid
chemical taste that some diners may find distasteful. For this reason,
it is advisable to soak the thawed, frozen roaches in lemon juice or
white vinegar for an hour or two prior to cooking. This will dissolve
most of the wax, which can then be discarded along with the lemon or
vinegar solution. The cockroaches can then be incorporated into bug
dishes without further fussing.

Peter Lucas

Jun 1, 2003, 3:28:41 AM6/1/03
user0...@mcspubliclibrary.org was heard to surreptitiously bellow

> Ever since Bush took office, I have been out of a job. I am living in
> a slum apartment swarming with cockroaches and other bugs. I can no
> longer afford to buy food, and spend most of my time catching
> cockroaches and placing them in small boxes, hoping to make a meal out
> of them. I have several hundred of them, and want to find out if
> anyone knows how to prepare them for eating. Does anyone have any
> good recipes?
>

> Please note, I do not have any gas for the stove, so I will have to
> cook them outdoors by building a fire in a garbage dumpster.

Don't people take dumps in dumpsters?

And if you *are* that poor, you won't be able to afford the fixin's to make
the cockies edible, so eat them raw. Pure protein :-)

Gary Schooley

Jun 1, 2003, 8:28:58 AM6/1/03

Peter Lucas wrote:

My survival books say that ALL insects MUST be cooked. There are bad things in
'em that can make you sick if you don't cook them.

Gary

Peter Lucas

Jun 1, 2003, 9:30:01 AM6/1/03
Gary Schooley <scho...@vcn.com> was heard to surreptitiously bellow

>> > Please note, I do not have any gas for the stove, so I will have to
>> > cook them outdoors by building a fire in a garbage dumpster.
>> >

>> Don't people take dumps in dumpsters?
>>
>> And if you *are* that poor, you won't be able to afford the fixin's to
>> make the cockies edible, so eat them raw. Pure protein :-)
>
> My survival books say that ALL insects MUST be cooked. There are bad
> things in 'em that can make you sick if you don't cook them.

Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Gary Schooley

Jun 1, 2003, 10:53:17 AM6/1/03

Peter Lucas wrote:

I would happily STARVE TO DEATH in a room full of the most "delectable" bugs,
thank you! :o)

Ba

Jun 1, 2003, 4:17:41 PM6/1/03
Coat each roach in clay and cook on built fire until clay is completely
dried out and sounds hollow when tapped. Break open clay shell, remove
roach and peel carefully.Discard the stomach meat and eat only the leg meat.
Enjoy.
This leg meat can also be made into soup with any veggies people have lost
or discarded.
Ba.
<user0...@mcspubliclibrary.org> wrote in message

> Ever since Bush took office, I have been out of a job. I am living in
> a slum apartment swarming with cockroaches and other bugs. I can no
> longer afford to buy food, and spend most of my time catching
> cockroaches and placing them in small boxes, hoping to make a meal out
> of them. I have several hundred of them, and want to find out if
> anyone knows how to prepare them for eating. Does anyone have any
> good recipes?
>
> Please note, I do not have any gas for the stove, so I will have to
> cook them outdoors by building a fire in a garbage dumpster.
>
> user020308
>
> MCS Public Library - Minneapolis MN

Ba

Jun 1, 2003, 4:24:53 PM6/1/03

> <user0...@mcspubliclibrary.org> wrote in message
> > Ever since Bush took office, I have been out of a job. I am living in
> > a slum apartment swarming with cockroaches and other bugs. I can no
> > longer afford to buy food, and spend most of my time catching
> > cockroaches and placing them in small boxes, hoping to make a meal out
> > of them. I have several hundred of them, and want to find out if
> > anyone knows how to prepare them for eating. Does anyone have any
> > good recipes?
> >
> > Please note, I do not have any gas for the stove, so I will have to
> > cook them outdoors by building a fire in a garbage dumpster.
> >
> > user020308
> >
> > MCS Public Library - Minneapolis MN

"Ba" <bq...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Oops, sorry, slip of the finger.

Gary Schooley

Jun 1, 2003, 7:26:22 PM6/1/03

Ba wrote:

Yum! "Roach Drumstick Soup"! Lots of meat on those legs, right? :o)

Peter Lucas

Jun 1, 2003, 8:26:02 PM6/1/03

> Peter Lucas wrote:
>
>> Gary Schooley <scho...@vcn.com> was heard to surreptitiously bellow

>> > My survival books say that ALL insects MUST be cooked. There are bad
>> > things in 'em that can make you sick if you don't cook them.
>>
>> Improvise, adapt, overcome.
>
> I would happily STARVE TO DEATH in a room full of the most "delectable"
> bugs, thank you! :o)

Irekon your will to survive would kick in and make them seem *very* tasty :-)

Julian Vrieslander

Jun 1, 2003, 9:49:27 PM6/1/03
In article <ma7jdvsge975btlgj...@4ax.com>,
user0...@mcspubliclibrary.org wrote:

> Ever since Bush took office, I have been out of a job. I am living in
> a slum apartment swarming with cockroaches and other bugs. I can no
> longer afford to buy food, and spend most of my time catching
> cockroaches and placing them in small boxes, hoping to make a meal out
> of them. I have several hundred of them, and want to find out if
> anyone knows how to prepare them for eating. Does anyone have any
> good recipes?
>

> Please note, I do not have any gas for the stove, so I will have to
> cook them outdoors by building a fire in a garbage dumpster.

My son, you have come to the right place. Courtesy of the google
archives, here is a re-posting of "Cockroach Cuisine - The Definitive
Guide", an article I posted to rfc way back in 1993. Enjoy.

- JV

Recently, in a not-too-serious discussion of ethnic restaurants, the
question arose: why are there so few Albanian restaurants? Someone
offered the not-too-serious answer: "because there's not much you can do
with potatoes and cockroaches."

That tasteless wisecrack got us thinking, and before long, we had proved
it wrong. There's a lot of culinary possibilities in these versatile
little critters, and we have begun to compile the definitive collection
of roach recipes. Here's the table of contents so far, and we invite
additional suggestions.

BREAKFAST
---------
roach toasties
roach krispies
roach flakes
shredded roach
poached roach
soft-boiled roach
roaches benedict
adam and eve on a roach

LUNCH/CHILDREN'S
----------------
peanut butter and roach sandwich (smooth or crunchy)
roaches in blankets
sloppy roach sandwich
macaroni and roach
RLT

SOUPS
-----
cream of roach
cock-a-roachie soup
roachysoisse

MAIN COURSES
------------
pot roach
saddle of roach
roach tartare
softshell roach
roach pot pie
roachatouille
roach scampi
roast leg of roach
roach loaf
chipped roach on toast
roach pilaf
braised short roaches
crown rack of roach (roast roach, legs upward and adorned with festive
little paper frills)

U.S. REGIONAL SPECIALTIES
-------------------------
buffalo roach wings
roach on weck
BBQ pulled roach sandwich
walkaway cockroach-tail
roach-eye gravy
deep dish roach pizza
pickled roach feet
shad roach

ETHNIC (TEX-MEX)
----------------
refried roach
a roach con pollo

ETHNIC (CHINESE)
-----------------
roach rolls
kang pao roach
sweet and sour roach
mu shu roach
twice cooked roach
Mogolian roach pot
Shrimp in roach sauce
General Tso's roach

ETHNIC (ITALIAN)
----------------
spaghetti and roach balls
roach cutlet parmigiana

ETHNIC (FRENCH)
---------------
cockroach au vin
pate au roach gras
volaille de roach
roach a l'orange
cockroach Saint-Jacques

ETHNIC (GERMAN)
---------------
roachwurst

ETHNIC (SWISS)
---------------
roachtis

ETHNIC (IRISH)
--------------
corned roach and cabbage

ETHNIC (BRITISH)
----------------
roach and kidney pie
kippered roach
roach rarebit

ETHNIC (AUSTRALIAN)
----------------
roachamite

ETHNIC (CANADIAN)
-----------------
smoked roach sandwich

ETHNIC (JEWISH)
---------------
bagel, creamcheese, and roach
gefilte roach
roach schmaltz
roachelach

ETHNIC (CAJUN)
---------------------
roach creole
blackened roach
dirty roach (made with roach giblets)
red beans and roach

ETHNIC (DUTCH/INDONESIAN)
-------------------------
roachtafel

ETHNIC (EAST EUROPEAN)
----------------------
piroachies

ETHNIC (MIDDLE EASTERN)
----------------------
roach ghannouj
roachakopita

TRENDY/BISTRO
-------------
warm roach salad on radicchio
roach en croute
jerk roach
stuffed roach skins
sun-dried roaches

ECONOMY/CONVENIENCE MEALS
-------------------------
roach spam
vienna roaches
roach-a-roni
cockroach helper

BAKED GOODS AND PASTRIES
------------------------
roach chip cookies
roach newtons
hot cross roaches
roach sticks
cinnamon roaches

DESSERTS
--------
baba au roach
roach mousse
tiroachamisu

CONDIMENTS
----------
roach relish
roachfort salad dressing
roach vinegars

SNACKS
------
roach chips
roach rinds

MIXED DRINKS
------------
roach and coke
roach and tonic
roachy mary
rob roach
roach on the beach

FINE WINES
----------
Cotes du Roach
roachgau
Mouton-Roachchild

LOW-FAT SUBSTITUTE
------------------
I Can't Believe It's Not Roaches!

NAME THIS COLLECTION
--------------------
"Joy of Cockroach Cooking"
"Better Homes and Roaches Cookbook"
"Mastering the Art of Cockroach Cooking"
"I Hear America Cooking Roaches"
"The Galloping Cockroach"
"Roachwood Cookbook"
"Diet for a Roach-Infested Planet"

--
Julian Vrieslander

K. Williams

Jun 2, 2003, 12:05:52 AM6/2/03
Well....bugs are a good source of protein. Roaches might also be a good source
of disease. Have fun.

Gary Schooley

Jun 2, 2003, 2:08:17 AM6/2/03

"K. Williams" wrote:

> Well....bugs are a good source of protein. Roaches might also be a good source
> of disease. Have fun.

After my encounters with "masses" of roaches in Houston (100 minimum at one time),
the kind of stuff nightmares are made of, as far as I'm concerned, they have NO
value at all, least of all, nutritional.

Marc Sindell

Jun 2, 2003, 3:39:42 PM6/2/03

"John Gaughan" <jo...@johngaughan.net> wrote in message news:vdja8gb...@corp.supernews.com...

> > Please note, I do not have any gas for the stove, so I will have to
> > cook them outdoors by building a fire in a garbage dumpster.
>
> Try taking the money you spend on your Internet connection and pay for
> gas instead. You can heat the stove *and* your furnace in one payment!

The original poster obviously makes use of free computers at a public library.

Ba

Jun 3, 2003, 9:36:47 AM6/3/03

> After my encounters with "masses" of roaches in Houston (100 minimum at
one time),
> the kind of stuff nightmares are made of, as far as I'm concerned, they
have NO
> value at all, least of all, nutritional.
>
> Gary

Wrong.......
After, roasting the roaches in clay and eating the drumsticks, the body
cavity can be hollowed out and made into excellent bowl for storing other
insects. The wings can polished to a mirror finish and when mounted on
matchsticks (picked up from older smokers if you follow them about. ) in
pairs make excellent, if small windmills. These wings can also be ground up
and used as an attractive eye-liner, or if mixed with a little of the used
clay, can be used as a good face foundation make up, or with added water a
superb face mask; if mixed with a little oil ( try a parked car ) you have
an unusual shade of lipstick, that will enhance the looks of men and
women.The cleaned out body meat, although not edible is great for curing dry
feet or rubbing on the ends of your hair to stop it splitting. Finally the
used clay can be slaked with water and reused time and time again, giving an
extra mature taste to new batches of cooked roaches.
And you say they have NO value? Mind you, the one we used when I was in
India were perhaps a little bigger that yours, could you give me some idea
of size?
Hope this helps.
Ba.

Gary Schooley

Jun 3, 2003, 1:59:57 PM6/3/03

Ba wrote:

> And you say they have NO value? Mind you, the one we used when I was in
> India were perhaps a little bigger that yours, could you give me some idea
> of size?
> Hope this helps.
> Ba.

The ones we had in Houston as a kid were fully the size of your thumb; past the
second knuckle (close to 3 inches). The kind that, when you turn on the light,
they come over and turn it off again. They are hideous, and *I* will NEVER be
hungry enough to eat bugs!

Ba

Jun 3, 2003, 2:17:42 PM6/3/03

"Gary Schooley" <scho...@vcn.com> wrote in message

> Ba wrote:

snip

> The ones we had in Houston as a kid were fully the size of your thumb;
past the
> second knuckle (close to 3 inches). The kind that, when you turn on the
light,
> they come over and turn it off again. They are hideous, and *I* will NEVER
be
> hungry enough to eat bugs!
>
> Gary

OK rich kid, you should be so lucky!!!