You're exhausted... but you have to eat

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 2:25:59 AM6/29/02
Scenario: You're exhausted; it's been a very rough day. You've encountered
one thing after another that has taxed your strength and all you want to do
is flop down on the sofa and veg out. (Let's assume, at least for the
moment, you don't have to cook for anyone else or worry about feeding
children.)

Cooking? You love to cook. But oh no! Not this evening. That seems like
an ordeal. Order take-out? Heh, pizza isn't on your palate and there isn't
any decent Chinese delivery. Besides, you don't want to have to open the
door now that you're in your comfy PJ's. Hmmmm. What do you do when you're
worn out, know you need to eat and don't feel like doing a darned thing?

If I don't have some homemade soup in the fridge, I'll generally open a can
of soup. Campbell's (homestyle) chicken noodle or cream of chicken
(doctored with a little tarragon, cayenne pepper, parsley) served in a big
soup mug. Hits the spot. Or (major comfort!) tomato soup (similarly
doctored, but add a pinch of oregano to the above). Maybe a toasted cheese
sandwich to go with the tomato soup, although that seems a bit like work at
this point. Or, simple to make with stock or broth, egg drop soup.

Scrambled eggs are easy. Or a simple omelet.

Frozen comforts for me include baked fish sticks and tater tots. Yeah,
that's right. I got addicted to them 30 years ago at my grandmothers house
and the craving never went away. So sue me! (laughing)

Sometimes I'll just make a small pot of rice, or steam some frozen broccoli
or cauliflower. Or bake a potato. Nice and simple. No fancy sauces
required and no fussing. Just butter, salt & pepper and eat.

What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
you'll never have any energy?

Jill

mr_...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2002, 2:58:07 AM6/29/02

Pasta...little butter, maybe cheese.

Tracey

Jun 29, 2002, 2:57:11 AM6/29/02

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
> you'll never have any energy?

Grilled cheese + tomato soup usually hits the spot in this situation. Other
options I like when I need to eat but don't want to cook are a big bowl of
oatmeal or a fried egg sandwich.

aec

Jun 29, 2002, 3:01:13 AM6/29/02

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
4gcT8.9825$N8.58...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com...

You mean like every night when I get home from work?
And the kids have already eaten a wonderful dinner with the nanny and there
are no leftovers?

I will often eat a boiled egg (or three) - thankfully I don't have to worry
about cholesterol.
Or a peanut butter sandwich (but that's on a crusty baquette fresh from the
bakery, often still warm from the oven, picked up on the way home - (how do
you do "nah nah NAh Nah nah" in etalk?))

Now if the kids haven't eaten, then I will make a tuna and mayonaise (with
pickles!) sandwiches, or egg salad sandwiches - Damsel has some great
recipes, but she keeps forgetting the pickles.

A grilled cheese. (Bread toasted in the oven on one side, then some good
melty cheese sliced on the untoasted side and back under the grill until
bubbly brown.)

If I have leftover baked potatoes, I cut them in half lengthwise, puts some
slices in the "meat", put some butter in the slices, salt, pepper and then
cover with a good melty cheese, and into the oven until the cheese begins to
bubble and brown. Mmmmmm.

And, if the children haven't eaten, and it's late and and and, we have a
"Dinfast" - we eat cereal for dinner. It's muesli or granola cereal,
sometimes with yoghurt instead of milk, or maybe toast. Breakfast for
dinner. And then the next day we usually have a beefier breakfast the next
day.

You will notice the complete lack of vegetables, and an emphasis on carbs
and fats in the evening. This is what I call Anne's miracle "how to gain at
least 20 pounds and keep it there" diet. Not a single skinny French person
(incl DH) has ever even considered this diet. My S(kinny)SIL will have a
green salad and a yoghurt, DH will too. DH will have a bowl of homemade
soup. Or, his peché mignon (and this is as far as he will sink) is cheese
on bread.

I won't even tell you about the pb, honey and muesli mixture I used to make
in college...
Eat well and prosper!
Anne

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 3:12:06 AM6/29/02
<mr_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 01:25:59 -0500, "Jill McQuown"
> <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >Scenario: You're exhausted; it's been a very rough day. You've
encountered
> >one thing after another that has taxed your strength and all you want to
do
> >is flop down on the sofa and veg out. (Let's assume, at least for the
> >moment, you don't have to cook for anyone else or worry about feeding
> >children.)
(snip)

> >What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
> >you'll never have any energy?
> >
> >Jill
> >

> Pasta...little butter, maybe cheese.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten. One of my favorite simple things is pasta (it can be
spaghetti or linguini or angel-hair) simply tossed with olive oil, salt,
freshly ground black pepper and some grated Parm (maybe a dash of fennel
seeds). Another favorite is wide egg noodles with s&p, a little butter and
poppy seeds. Tell some people this was 'dinner' and some will say you "you
must be nuts" ;-)

Jill

MH

Jun 29, 2002, 3:35:41 AM6/29/02

"aec" <anne.c...@bull.net> wrote in message

Yes, it's called "Life".

Aren't those the ones chain smoking?

My S(kinny)SIL will have a
> green salad and a yoghurt, DH will too. DH will have a bowl of homemade
> soup. Or, his peché mignon (and this is as far as he will sink) is cheese
> on bread.
>
> I won't even tell you about the pb, honey and muesli mixture I used to
make
> in college...
> Eat well and prosper!
> Anne

Hey, if anyone thinks feeding oneself is a chore, they need a new
perspective. Realize that the only people bitching about not having enough
time to eat are the ones without children.

As Anne mentioned, it's an every day thing. Not a biggie.

I guess some folks always need something to bitch about. Jill really needs a
hobby.

Jack Schidt

Jun 29, 2002, 3:49:19 AM6/29/02

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Time's like that I bust out the corn flakes.

Jack Kellog

st...@temple.edu

Jun 29, 2002, 3:38:23 AM6/29/02
Jill McQuown <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
> you'll never have any energy?

I eat out or I make my old standby dinner. I keep a package of the 99%
fat free Hebrew National hotdogs in my freezer for just these situations.
I take out a couple of those hotdogs, nuke them for two minutes to thaw
them, then slice them into tiny fork sized pieces. Dump in a small can of
Bush's baked beans, then nuke for another minute or two. Stir the beans
thoroughly, then nuke for a few more seconds. This yields a healthy and
satisfying dinner with hardly any effort at all.

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 4:14:22 AM6/29/02
"aec" <anne.c...@bull.net> wrote in message

> "Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 4gcT8.9825$N8.58...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com...
> > Scenario: You're exhausted; it's been a very rough day. You've
> encountered
> > one thing after another that has taxed your strength
(snip)

> > What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat
or
> > you'll never have any energy?
>
> You mean like every night when I get home from work? (snip)

> I will often eat a boiled egg (or three) - thankfully I don't have to
worry
> about cholesterol.
(snip)

> Anne

(laughing) I'd also forgotten the simple pleasure of boiled eggs. I do
that, too. Soft boiled but not too runny; with butter, s&p.

When I can get a fresh baguette I like to toast slices brushed with a little
olive oil and then spread room temp (or slightly warmed) brie on the slices.
That can be a meal in itself with a cup of tea!

Hmmm, there *are* more choices than I was initially imagining.

Jill

MH

Jun 29, 2002, 4:32:13 AM6/29/02

"Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net> wrote in message
I'd stop complaining and move to a neighborhood with decent delivery.
Sheesh.......

Wankerette

Jun 29, 2002, 5:34:00 AM6/29/02

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
<snip>

> What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
> you'll never have any energy?
>
> Jill

Grilled Cheese Sammiches... :)

Carrie

ConnieG999

Jun 29, 2002, 6:06:34 AM6/29/02
"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> writes:

>What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
>you'll never have any energy?

Cereal and milk.
Fresh fruit.
Cheese and crackers.
Vanilla wafers with peanut butter.
Mayonnaise sandwiches.

aec

Jun 29, 2002, 6:47:53 AM6/29/02

"ConnieG999" <conni...@aol.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
20020629060634...@mb-mw.aol.com...

And here I was - embarassed to say that sometimes we just had cereal for
dinner - I'm not the only one...!!! (That feels better.)

And I think you have taken the "fat and carbs" diet to new heights with mayo
sannies - although....when my Dad was a boy in Northern England (Lancs) he
used to have "chip butties" - a butter and French Fries sandwich...that must
be the worst (or best?)
;-)
Anne

Dimitri

Jun 29, 2002, 7:25:30 AM6/29/02

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Depending on the time of the year and the outside temperature a bag of salad
or a 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce chopped into fork sized chunks, some
Julianned cold cuts and cheese and if I am really ambitious - some home-made
thousand Island dressing - all topped off with some crackers on the side.
or a chefs salad :-)

Dimitri

Dimitri

Jun 29, 2002, 7:25:30 AM6/29/02

"MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> "Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net> wrote in message
> >
><snip> >

> > Time's like that I bust out the corn flakes.
> >
> > Jack Kellog
> >
> I'd stop complaining and move to a neighborhood with decent delivery.
> Sheesh.......

Nope he's right but they have to be Kellogg's Frosted Flakes®

They're Gr-r-reat! http://www.kelloggs.com/

Dimitri (tiger)

Ramone

Jun 29, 2002, 8:03:44 AM6/29/02
<jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
>you'll never have any energy?

Pasta. I like the wide noodles. A good handful in boiling salted
water. While they're cooking I put a little water in in a clean bowl
and microwave it until it boils, then pour it out. Now I have a warm
bowl. A couple pats of butter in the bowl will melt easily. Now the
pasta's done. Drain, toss with the butter in the bowl, a little salt
and pepper. Now a handful of real shredded, not grated, parmesan.
Handful of strawberries for dessert. Whole thing takes about 15
minutes from start to finish and is completely fullfilling.

Siobhan Perricone

Jun 29, 2002, 8:25:55 AM6/29/02
wrote:

>Frozen comforts for me include baked fish sticks and tater tots. Yeah,

>that's right. I got addicted to them 30 years ago at my grandmothers house
>and the craving never went away. So sue me! (laughing)

We keep a supply of "freezer foods" on hand for such occasions. One nice
thing we get at Costco are these mini "calzones" that bake up quick.
They're sort like larger, breadier pizza rolls. Not fantastic, but good on
days like you describe.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"If you accept a dinner invitation, you have a moral

mr_...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2002, 8:32:29 AM6/29/02
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:32:13 GMT, "MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

Are you a relative of Sheldon by any chance???

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 8:29:27 AM6/29/02
"Ramone" <eer...@att.net> wrote in message

Oh God! That sounds great! Of course, you're assuming there are fresh
strawberries on hand :-)

Jill

Siobhan Perricone

Jun 29, 2002, 8:32:59 AM6/29/02
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:32:13 GMT, "MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I'd stop complaining and move to a neighborhood with decent delivery.
>Sheesh.......

Jesus christ, she's right. You are incapable of responding to anything she
says without being an ass.

You know, SOME of us don't WANT to live where there is delivery because
that includes a bunch of other crap that we don't want to have to live
with. So we choose to live outside the area. That doesn't mean we've
given up the right to wish it were otherwise on occasion.

You really really need to get over this hate you have for Jill. It's just
eating you up and you're starting to look like a total loon.

At least Jill has been creating ON topic and interesting threads that keep
us chatting. Not sending people to sites full of pictures of gay men in
leather stroking themselves.

Siobhan Perricone

Jun 29, 2002, 8:33:46 AM6/29/02

Oh yeah! Cucumber or green onion sandwiches are good, too!

Michel Boucher

Jun 29, 2002, 8:54:17 AM6/29/02
Dans un moment de folie, "Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net>
écrivit:

> What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to
> eat or you'll never have any energy?

Usually, miso soup. Per person, I boil 500 ml water, add 5 ml
concentrated vegetable bouillon (not cubes or powder, the moist kind,
comes in a jar, imported here by Nutri Chef), mix, add 15 ml of brown
rice miso (South River brand), mix again. If I'm adventurous, I'll
soften up some 3-minute chinese noodles to go with that.

--

There's a time to think and a time to act and this, gentlemen, is no
time to think.

Sheriff Bud Boomer, upon declaring war on Canada

To contact me, take out the zed.

O'B

Jun 29, 2002, 9:08:50 AM6/29/02
In article <4c8rhuk8m609q31ij...@4ax.com>, Ramone
<eer...@att.net> wrote:

> Pasta. I like the wide noodles. A good handful in boiling salted
> water. While they're cooking I put a little water in in a clean bowl
> and microwave it until it boils, then pour it out. Now I have a warm
> bowl. A couple pats of butter in the bowl will melt easily.

You can also use a wire rack (or even two chopsticks) laid across the
top of the pot of boiling water as a platform to heat that bowl up. I
do it all the time. Just put your butter in the bowl suspended over
the steam from the cooking pasta and the butter will be melted in a
minute or so--maybe less time than it takes to boil water in the
microwave, certainly less effort.

J.

--
John O'Brien
dylp...@ultranet.com http://www.ultranet.com/~dylpluck

"I can tell your future, just look what's in your hand" -R. Hunter

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 9:30:27 AM6/29/02
"Siobhan Perricone" <morgan...@starband.net> wrote in message

Oh yeah... at the local grocery store they sell, well not "mini" calzones.
But you can cut them in half! and freeze them. Spinach and cheese. I like
to stock up on those and put them in the freezer for when I just don't feel
like cooking.

Jill

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 9:40:33 AM6/29/02

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:32:13 GMT, "MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Not sending people to sites full of pictures of gay men in
> leather stroking themselves.

Heh, I missed the site of gay men in leather? (laughing!!!!)

Jill

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 9:42:21 AM6/29/02
"Siobhan Perricone" <morgan...@starband.net> wrote in message

See, I picture cucumber sandwiches as being served in a Victorian parlor
along with tea... crust removed (of course). I read it someplace :-)

Jill

Siobhan Perricone

Jun 29, 2002, 9:45:52 AM6/29/02
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:32:59 GMT, Siobhan Perricone
<morgan...@starband.net> wrote:

>At least Jill has been creating ON topic and interesting threads that keep
>us chatting. Not sending people to sites full of pictures of gay men in
>leather stroking themselves.

I hasten to add at this point that I don't have anything against gay men,
or photos of men stroking themselves, or even leather (in fact, I've been
known to appreciate all three, even at the same time). It's just unexpected
and it was the first thing in the morning. I was more upset about the
photo of the cutting than the errrmm erotic pictures.

Priscilla Ballou

Jun 29, 2002, 9:59:57 AM6/29/02
In article <4gcT8.9825$N8.58...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>,

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
> you'll never have any energy?

Cook up some mien (Chinese wheat noodles), sprinkle on rice vinegar and
a little soy sauce, and slurp them up. Heaven!

Priscilla
--
"Love is not something wonderful that you feel; it is something
difficult that you do." -- Elizabeth Goudge

Priscilla Ballou

Jun 29, 2002, 10:02:57 AM6/29/02
In article <uOiT8.3594$wj4.4...@e3500-atl2.usenetserver.com>,
"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

For tea at the Vicar's house, or at the church for when the Bishop is
visiting.

I actually did make cucumber sandwiches once at an Episcopal church when
the Bishop was visiting. ;-)

notbob

Jun 29, 2002, 10:34:37 AM6/29/02
Jill McQuown wrote:

> What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
> you'll never have any energy?

Two words ...toaster leavin's!

nb

ConnieG999

Jun 29, 2002, 10:42:01 AM6/29/02
"aec" <anne.c...@bull.net> writes:

>And here I was - embarassed to say that sometimes we just had cereal for
>dinner - I'm not the only one...!!! (That feels better.)
>
>And I think you have taken the "fat and carbs" diet to new heights with mayo
>sannies -

Well, I started eating them when I was broke, and I tell you, with your
favorite mayo (mine is Hellmans) they're delicious. Haven't had one in a while
though.
As for the responses, such as cereal and milk, well, she did say she didn't
want to cook anything. And my list has no pasta, grilled sandwiches, etc - pure
"pick it up and eat it" stuff. (G) I ain't a-gonna nuke, grill, boil, peel,
bake, steam, or NUTHIN if I've had that kind of day!

Aquari

Jun 29, 2002, 10:50:10 AM6/29/02
Pasta with olive oil, garlic, s & P and parm

Toasted cheese on sourdough (cheddar or jack or pepper cheese...maybe brie if I
have any)

Salad (green) with avocado and a h.b. egg

Top Ramen if I don't feel well...or maybe if I do...doctored up with Mongolian
Fire Oil, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and a splash of vinegar

Baked potato...maybe even a nuked one...

Cheese and crackers

mr_...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2002, 11:02:55 AM6/29/02

Yum.....dinner is served!!!

mr_...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2002, 11:05:07 AM6/29/02

Seeing lots of "carb" junkies in here. Bubba LIKE carbs!!!

mr_...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2002, 11:05:55 AM6/29/02

Do you sift out the dead roaches first???

The Hackett Family

Jun 29, 2002, 11:18:31 AM6/29/02
<snip>

What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
you'll never have any energy?

Jill
----------------------------

Either eggs or throw a potato in the microwave! The eggs are beaten with
garlic powder and dry mustard and then when done a quick grind of pepper and
a teeny, tiny pinch of salt thrown on top.

The potato would be sliced up prior to nuking (seems to cook faster... I
dunno). Nuked until done; 3.5 maybe 4 minutes? Then a little butter and
sour cream plopped on top and sprinkled with a spice blend of some sort...
Konriko's* Greek Seasoning, Tony Chachere's* Original Seasoning, or
Morton's* Nature Seasons. A final grind of pepper and voila!

* = Brand Name.

Cyndi

The Hackett Family

Jun 29, 2002, 11:30:36 AM6/29/02
<snip>

Hey, if anyone thinks feeding oneself is a chore, they need a new
perspective. Realize that the only people bitching about not having enough
time to eat are the ones without children.

As Anne mentioned, it's an every day thing. Not a biggie.

I guess some folks always need something to bitch about. Jill really needs a
hobby.

MH
--------------------------------------

HEY! That's not nice!

Both before having Nathan and after having him... there have been days that
I thought cooking was a chore. I truly can not believe that you have
*never* had a single day or meal where you just didn't feel like it or had
the energy to stand in the kitchen long enough to even pour a glass of
something... If not, you really must be super-human!

I doubt Jill needs any more hobbies... she was probably just making
conversation and/or was curious about what the rest of the world does when
other, mere mortals don't feel up to cooking.

Phew!

Cyndi

Jack Schidt

Jun 29, 2002, 11:31:38 AM6/29/02

"The Hackett Family" <rncha...@insightbb.com> wrote in message

That sounds good. BTW, I've been meaning to ask - how's Buddy doing?

Jack Hackett

silvasurfa

Jun 29, 2002, 11:43:50 AM6/29/02

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Scenario: You're exhausted; it's been a very rough day. You've
encountered
> one thing after another that has taxed your strength and all you want to
do
> is flop down on the sofa and veg out.

Instant porridge.

Nancy Young

Jun 29, 2002, 11:32:39 AM6/29/02
Jill McQuown wrote:

> Scenario: You're exhausted; it's been a very rough day. You've encountered
> one thing after another that has taxed your strength and all you want to do
> is flop down on the sofa and veg out. (Let's assume, at least for the
> moment, you don't have to cook for anyone else or worry about feeding
> children.)
>
> Cooking? You love to cook. But oh no! Not this evening.

Unfortunately, I don't eat when I'm stressed out, a big project is a
great diet for me. But, when I just want something, anything no
muss no fuss, I'll boil some pasta and toss with a can of Italian
style stewed tomatoes, something like that. Aside from that, I'll
open the refrigerator and hope something suddenly appears, something
edible. Toast, and english muffin, whatever. Usually a yogurt.

Sometimes that would be a Goo Goo Cluster (evil look). (smile)

nancy (now it might be a Pearson's Salted Nut Roll ... evil look
at a certain someone else)

The Hackett Family

Jun 29, 2002, 11:37:16 AM6/29/02

"ConnieG999" <conni...@aol.com> wrote in message

---------------------------

Yeah, me too (hanging head down but grinning). I keep a stash of Little
Debbie* Chocolate Rounds thingys and there's always a few chocolate candy
morsels of some sort around... you know, a little something to give you
enough energy to either try to find something to nuke or enough energy to
crawl to bed!

Cyndi

Nancy Young

Jun 29, 2002, 11:38:50 AM6/29/02
The Hackett Family wrote:

> The potato would be sliced up prior to nuking (seems to cook faster... I
> dunno). Nuked until done; 3.5 maybe 4 minutes? Then a little butter and
> sour cream plopped on top and sprinkled with a spice blend of some sort...

There you go! I have actually eaten a can of potatoes with some
Penzey's Fox Point on it, or just butter or cheese. Of course I
heat the potatoes first.

nancy

Jack Schidt

Jun 29, 2002, 11:51:24 AM6/29/02

"Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

I keep packages of tortillas on hand for just such emergencies. sometimes I
just open a can of tuna and grab some greens and twist one up!!

Jack Masa

Alistair Gale

Jun 29, 2002, 10:59:29 AM6/29/02
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:25:30 GMT, "Dimitri" <DIMI...@prodspamgy.net>
wrote:

>Depending on the time of the year and the outside temperature a bag of salad
>or a 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce chopped into fork sized chunks, some
>Julianned cold cuts and cheese and if I am really ambitious - some home-made
>thousand Island dressing - all topped off with some crackers on the side.
>or a chefs salad :-)

And then of course there was the old Saturday Night Live parody Ad for
iceberg lettuce and mayo as the new fast food sensation.
(Actually the lettuce and mayo are probably my fav. parts of a fast
food burger.)

--
alistair
still shocked by Gran's rx for "Nonnettes de poulet Agnès Sorel"

Puester

Jun 29, 2002, 12:15:40 PM6/29/02

> What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
> you'll never have any energy?
>
> Jill

1. scrambled eggs and toast
or
2. hunk of cheese, a banana, and crackers

gloria p

nexis1

Jun 29, 2002, 12:24:38 PM6/29/02

"MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
<snip unnecessarily rude and ridiculous post>

So, we are all to believe you've never had a time when you were overloaded,
overwhelmed, or just plain tired and didn't feel like whipping up a gourmet
meal? You must be simply awesome. The question, dear one, was not whether or
not feeding oneself was a chore, but rather, what one cooks when they're too
tired to cook much. So, instead of indulging yourself with a meaningless,
and nasty commentary, why don't you either answer the question or ignore the
thread? Oh and, it's Jill who needs a hobby and Jill who was bitching was
it? Hello Pot? This is MH. You're black.
Get thee to a mirror, and quickly.

kimberly

Ace399

Jun 29, 2002, 12:26:14 PM6/29/02
Froot Loops or Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (HAS to be Kraft, none of this
'deluxe' stuff...I happen to like the powdered orange crap! LOL)

Coleen :`)

"If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile,
the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand."
-Unknown

nexis1

Jun 29, 2002, 12:26:59 PM6/29/02

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:32:13 GMT, "MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:

> >I'd stop complaining and move to a neighborhood with decent delivery.
> >Sheesh.......
> >

> Are you a relative of Sheldon by any chance???

Not a chance. Sheldon isn't a troll. This one seems to be.

kimberly

Topper

Jun 29, 2002, 10:11:19 AM6/29/02
I try to have homemade stuff stuck in the freezer for times when I don't
have the energy or time to cook..but sometimes even heading to the basement
freezer and heating stuff up is more than I want to do. For me, scrambled
egg sandwiches. I leave them all together, like and omelet, so they lay on
the bread better, top with a slice of cheese and a bit of Miracle Whip.. one
of my favs!

--
Topper
CompTIA A+ Certified

nexis1

Jun 29, 2002, 12:37:40 PM6/29/02

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
> you'll never have any energy?
>
> Jill

Go to In and Out? Just kidding :) I'd rather go to China Fun.
But....if I'm too tired to go anywhere (an all too common thing these days),
there are a few things that I go for more than others. Grab a pouch of tuna
(starkist, in the bag, and in oil thankyouverymuch not water) and make
sammiches. Or even on crackers. A can of the red salmon is good with
crackers too. And (this is a big secret, no flames please! It takes courage
to admit stuff like this!)...sometimes I make those cup of noodles? The
roasted chicken flavor, made with homemade stock instead of boiling water,
and with some green onion added. Ok. It's out. You all know my deep dark
secret. Oh well :)
Sometimes, nothing quite hits the spot like what my niece refers to as Mater
Soup (she's 2, BTW).
With crackers. Or angel hair with some olive oil, sun dried tomatoes, lots
of pepper and some parm. Yum. and quick too. Plus you get to rest while you
wait for the water to boil! lol

If all else fails, I have an 8 year old who is a fresh veggie junkie (yes, I
know....we've often wondered if she's an alien too.)...so there is usually
some veggies or salad in the fridge to munch on if nothing else sounds good.

kimberly

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 1:08:11 PM6/29/02
"Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

Canned potatoes? Hmmm, I seem to recall my mom bought those. 'New
potatoes', aren't they? She'd deep fry them in oil and call them... fried
potatoes. I haven't seen a canned potato in years.

I'll admit to heating up canned corned beef hash (it has tiny diced potatoes
in it).

Jill

PENMART01

Jun 29, 2002, 1:15:51 PM6/29/02
"Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net> writes:

>Time's like that I bust out the corn flakes.
>
>Jack Kellog

I don't much like corn flakes for dinner, but a "bust out"
offers anudder excellent no-cook meal opportunity any time.

Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

Jun 29, 2002, 1:15:51 PM6/29/02
"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> writes:

>Cooking? You love to cook. But oh no! Not this evening.

>What do you do when you're worn out, know you need to
>eat, and don't feel like doing a darned thing?

So far nearly every response to your query involved cooking, scaled down
cooking, but cooking nonetheless... whadaya all too wussy-wussy to tell the
truth about how sometimes you eat junk food what needs no cooking whatsoever?

When I'm really exhausted, hungry and don't want to cook I really don't cook,
then is the time to poke into the freezer for that pint of rum raisin ice
cream, whack off a big slab of cake (I always have some kinda cake, even if
it's just a box or Entenman's devilfood donuts, frozen) and real quick like
slap a bottle of Champagne in a bucket fulla ice. If I'm really famished I'll
probably knock off that pint of cherries jubilee ice cream too. Hey, I bought
those pints for just such emergencies, so now it's that kind of emergency. Oh,
lookit here, there's plent left in that five pound package of Zenobia
pistachios in the freezer too... gotta have dessert!

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 1:12:47 PM6/29/02
"Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

If you don't hush, I'll run right out and send you another box of Goo Goo
Clusters! (wicked grin)

Jill (Boo hoo, boo hoo, I didn't get a Goo Goo!)

hahabogus

Jun 29, 2002, 1:30:26 PM6/29/02
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote in

Corn Flakes and a good quality Ice Cream makes an ok Breakfasy entree.

Jack Schidt

Jun 29, 2002, 1:40:04 PM6/29/02

"PENMART01" <penm...@aol.como> wrote in message
> [...]

A rapid cure for exhaustion and whatever ails ya. ;-) Cross my heart!

Jack Cup

limey

Jun 29, 2002, 2:05:14 PM6/29/02

> "Siobhan Perricone" <morgan...@starband.net> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 09:34:00 GMT, "Wankerette"
> > <carrie...@NOSPAMns.sympatico.ca*****> wrote:
> >

> > >"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > ><snip>

> or

> > >Grilled Cheese Sammiches... :)
> >
> > Oh yeah! Cucumber or green onion sandwiches are good, too!
> >
> > --
> > Siobhan Perricone
> > "If you accept a dinner invitation, you have a moral
> > obligation to be amusing."
> > - Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor
>
> See, I picture cucumber sandwiches as being served in a Victorian
parlor
> along with tea... crust removed (of course). I read it someplace
:-)

> Jill

Hey, watch it, Jill! (laughing). I don't date back - quite - to the
Victorian era and I've eaten many a cucumber-on-buttered-bread
sandwich, as well as sliced tomatoes ditto (all with crusts removed,
natch). When you're in your Victorian house you can serve those at
teatime when I visit!
My favorite lazy but starving food - slices of sharp Cheddar cheese,
buttered crusty roll or bread, and pickles (ploughman's noontime
dinner), cup of tea.

Dora

ConnieG999

Jun 29, 2002, 2:29:32 PM6/29/02
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) writes:

>So far nearly every response to your query involved cooking, scaled down
>cooking, but cooking nonetheless... whadaya all too wussy-wussy to tell the
>truth about how sometimes you eat junk food what needs no cooking whatsoever?

Not mine, Sheldon! I just started another thread about "shameful foods." Sorry
I didn't read yours first - didn't mean to step on your toes.

I repeat: I ain't a-gonna nuke, grill, boil, peel,

ConnieG999

Jun 29, 2002, 2:29:32 PM6/29/02
"nexis1" <nex...@cox.net> writes:

>And (this is a big secret, no flames please! It takes courage
>to admit stuff like this!)...sometimes I make those cup of noodles?

Oh, Kimberley, that's not so bad. Most of the people here only *pretend* to be
food snobs when they post 'cause they're worried about the scorn factor. I bet
they're eating the same junk we're admitting to! (G)

One of my most favorite disgusting meals is a peanut butter sandwich dunked in
cream of mushroom soup - UNdiluted. There, now you don't have to feel ashamed.
LOL!! Maybe some others will unburder their shame as well...

Nancy Young

Jun 29, 2002, 2:43:52 PM6/29/02

Here's the problem ... Jill has said in the past that she doesn't
like cold food. I'll let her straighten that out if I'm mistaken.
I took 'cooking' as ... gathering and measuring ingredients, etc
etc etc ... I don't count boiling some pasta as cooking. Perhaps
I'm wrong.

nancy (not that I'm ever wrong)

Margaret Suran

Jun 29, 2002, 2:46:05 PM6/29/02

If I come home exhausted and hungry and in no mood to cook, I pour
myuself a glass of nice, red wine (sometimes a glass of chilled white,
if there is some left in the refrigerator from last night's dinner) and
drink it while eating a piece of bread and cheese or sausage. I don't
know about others, but it sure peps me up and there is no cooking of any
kind involved. :o)

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 2:48:25 PM6/29/02
"limey" <li...@toadstop.net> wrote in message

I don't date back that far either, but it's fun to think of. High tea is
4:00. Cucumber on buttered bread with tea it is! What kind of tea? I
favour green tea but will accomodate anything for my guest. Even sherry or
a shot of brandy (laughing). BTW, you have to dress in Victorian garb if
you come to visit. Lucky for both of us, the house won't be done for
another 2 years! Plenty of time to get the wardrobe together!

Jill

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 2:51:38 PM6/29/02
"ConnieG999" <conni...@aol.com> wrote in message

Hey! I already admitted to fish sticks and tater tots! What more do you
want of me?

Jill

Shirley

Jun 29, 2002, 3:02:13 PM6/29/02
"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<4gcT8.9825$N8.58...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>...

> Scenario: You're exhausted; it's been a very rough day. You've encountered
> one thing after another that has taxed your strength and all you want to do
> is flop down on the sofa and veg out. (Let's assume, at least for the
> moment, you don't have to cook for anyone else or worry about feeding
> children.)
>

> What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
> you'll never have any energy?
>
> Jill

First things first. A double scotch and water. Then a ham sandwich on
white bread with mayo and pickles served on a paper plate. Use a
plastic (disposable) knife to spread the mayo because if I have had a
day such as Jill described I also don't want to rinse off any dishes.

Shirley in Texas

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 2:57:44 PM6/29/02
"Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

You are correct. I don't like cold food. Ice cream doesn't count as 'food'
(laughing). But like you, I don't count boiling pasta (or water for rice)
as 'cooking'. See, I'm exhausted already! I can lie on the sofa while that
happens. Cooking is where I'm standing in the kitchen, chopping, measuring,
pan frying, tossing, mixing, whipping, stirring... et al. All in all an
exhausting proposition some days after work. Yeah, lazy me. So sue me.

BTW, Nancy, I found something totally cute at the drug store. Expect
something in the mail next week!

Jill

limey

Jun 29, 2002, 3:10:01 PM6/29/02

"Jill McQuown" wrote in message

It's a date! Just as long as that Victorian garb doesn't have to be
worn in the summer :-(. Those corsets, bloomers and petticoats
wouldn't feel too great. BTW - that shot of brandy sounds good, too -
Victorian ladies have been known to tipple!

Dora (grin)

Mcc6050

Jun 29, 2002, 3:16:43 PM6/29/02
Pat wrote:

>I used to like tuna salad sandwiches, but then the
>manufacturers seemingly started putting cat food in the tuna
>cans....I can't eat it anymore. I miss tuna sandwiches.

Tuna packed in olive oil is *much* better than the standard oil or water packed
tuna of Bumblebee, Chicken-of-the-Sea, etc. Much better flavor, real chunks.
More expensive than the standard tuna, but if you want to treat yourself to a
very good tuna sandwich......

Mac

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 3:23:09 PM6/29/02
"Margaret Suran" <msu...@rcn.com> wrote in message

Margaret, you are MY kind of woman! Yes ma'am!

Jill

Nancy Young

Jun 29, 2002, 3:40:46 PM6/29/02
Pat Meadows wrote:

> Is the tuna-in-the-bag noticeably better than canned?

> I used to like tuna salad sandwiches, but then the
> manufacturers seemingly started putting cat food in the tuna
> cans....I can't eat it anymore. I miss tuna sandwiches.

Isn't it disgusting? I've heard that tuna in a bag is! much
better, costs more, but you get more than one and a half
sandwiches out of it because there isn't so much filler.

I'm putting it on my shopping list to try. I'll report back.

nancy

Jack Schidt

Jun 29, 2002, 4:35:03 PM6/29/02

"Pat Meadows" <p...@meadows.pair.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 16:37:40 GMT, "nexis1" <nex...@cox.net>
> wrote:
>

> >Go to In and Out? Just kidding :) I'd rather go to China Fun.
> >But....if I'm too tired to go anywhere (an all too common thing these
days),
> >there are a few things that I go for more than others. Grab a pouch of
tuna
> >(starkist, in the bag, and in oil thankyouverymuch not water) and make
> >sammiches. Or even on crackers.
>
> Is the tuna-in-the-bag noticeably better than canned?

It tastes like freshly caught, according to the "fisherman" on the
commercial.

> I used to like tuna salad sandwiches, but then the
> manufacturers seemingly started putting cat food in the tuna
> cans....I can't eat it anymore. I miss tuna sandwiches.
>

> Pat

Cat food makes a great practical joke at appetizer parties. Oh, not that I
ever tried it, but I hear tell......

Jack Baloney

Jack Schidt

Jun 29, 2002, 4:35:04 PM6/29/02

"ConnieG999" <conni...@aol.com> wrote in message

We had a term for that late-night, stinkin drunk would have been a good
place to stop, clean out the fridge and put it between bread - "shit
sandwiches". NOTHING was excluded, ther'd be baloney and macaroni salad,
baked bean sandwiches, ham and peanut butter and jelly, whatever we didn't
drop on the floor. Well, that too - FF -FF, blow the dust off and it was
good as new. Ummm....I don't do that anymore, ok?

Jack Sot

Curly Sue

Jun 29, 2002, 4:42:11 PM6/29/02
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 20:35:04 GMT, "Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net>
wrote:

>We had a term for that late-night, stinkin drunk would have been a good
>place to stop, clean out the fridge and put it between bread - "shit
>sandwiches".

Shouldn't that be "schidt sandwiches"?

Sue(tm)

sue at interport dot net

Jack Schidt

Jun 29, 2002, 4:48:44 PM6/29/02

"Curly Sue" <s...@addressin.sig> wrote in message

Boy, nothing gets past you, Sue! That was in my formative years, before the
internet.

Jack Aged

Siobhan Perricone

Jun 29, 2002, 5:06:14 PM6/29/02
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:42:21 -0500, "Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>> Oh yeah! Cucumber or green onion sandwiches are good, too!

>See, I picture cucumber sandwiches as being served in a Victorian parlor

>along with tea... crust removed (of course). I read it someplace :-)

Not the way I make 'em. Get me two big ole slices of bread, slather butter
on both sides, slice up some cukes, layer them thickly on the bread,
sprinkle on some kosher salt and CHOW DOWN. Real cucumbers sandwiches have
crusts! None of this pansy dainty triangles with the crusts trimmed off
for me! :D I do the same thing with scallions on bread. Just bread,
butter, scallions. My husband won't kiss me for a day after that, though.
:)

Hmmmm maybe I could combine the two! Cucumber and scallion sandwiches!

Siobhan Perricone

Jun 29, 2002, 5:08:16 PM6/29/02
On 29 Jun 2002 17:15:51 GMT, penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote:

>"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> writes:
>
>>Cooking? You love to cook. But oh no! Not this evening.
>>What do you do when you're worn out, know you need to
>>eat, and don't feel like doing a darned thing?
>
>So far nearly every response to your query involved cooking, scaled down
>cooking, but cooking nonetheless... whadaya all too wussy-wussy to tell the
>truth about how sometimes you eat junk food what needs no cooking whatsoever?

Well, sometimes I eat green beans out of the can, cold, with my fingers. :)

mr_...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2002, 5:32:04 PM6/29/02
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 20:35:04 GMT, "Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net>
wrote:

LOL!!! Sounds like "Must-Go" soup! Everything in the frige must go!
Picante sauce, half head of lettuce, jelly doughnuts, last tablespoon
of chocoate syrup.......all goes into the soup pot. Yum,
yum.........sometimes!

The UnlikelyBubba

mr_...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2002, 5:56:31 PM6/29/02
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 20:35:03 GMT, "Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net>
wrote:

Yet another solution to the "pesky neighbor" problem!!!

PENMART01

Jun 29, 2002, 6:00:29 PM6/29/02
Siobhan Perricone <morgan...@starband.net> writes:

>(PENMART01) wrote:
>
>>"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> writes:
>>
>>>Cooking? You love to cook. But oh no! Not this evening.
>>>What do you do when you're worn out, know you need to
>>>eat, and don't feel like doing a darned thing?
>>
>>So far nearly every response to your query involved cooking, scaled down
>>cooking, but cooking nonetheless... whadaya all too wussy-wussy to tell the
>>truth about how sometimes you eat junk food what needs no cooking
>whatsoever?
>
>Well, sometimes I eat green beans out of the can, cold, with my fingers. :)

Ah, finally the truth. Me too, I sometimes pig out on canned veggies... I
especially like Veg-All right from the can. I like canned veggies from the can
even more when they're ice cold from the fridge... anyone remember when the
veggies were separated into layers in the can by paper rounds? Yes, I keep a
good supply of canned veggies in the fridge. Cold canned beets are always
good. And I know lots of you eat canned mission olives straight from the
can... but I drain those, the juice is nasty... but with all the other canned
veggies I drink the juice. Come clean yoose guys, I just know that when you're
really exhausted you pig out on stuff right from the can... somehow I don't
believe yoose boil up pasta on your "exhausted" nights... heck, boiled pasta
with a heated jar of Ragu is your signature dish for your best nights... for
company yoose dump in a can of shrooms and half a cup of dago red, directly
from that glass you've been sipping... I know, I've seen ya... 'cause poured
from your wine glass it somehow gets transformed and it ain't box wine anymore.
<G>

Miche

Jun 29, 2002, 6:06:37 PM6/29/02
In article <vze23t8n-5C7ECB...@news.bellatlantic.net>,
Priscilla Ballou <vze2...@verizon.net> wrote:

> In article <uOiT8.3594$wj4.4...@e3500-atl2.usenetserver.com>,
> "Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > See, I picture cucumber sandwiches as being served in a Victorian parlor
> > along with tea... crust removed (of course). I read it someplace :-)
>

> For tea at the Vicar's house, or at the church for when the Bishop is
> visiting.
>
> I actually did make cucumber sandwiches once at an Episcopal church when
> the Bishop was visiting. ;-)

The trick to really good cucumber sandwiches is to lay the slices on a
paper towel and _lightly_ sprinkle with salt. Lay another paper towel
over the top and let it drain for about 10mins. That way you don't get
soggy sandwiches.

Miche

--
And you may say to yourself "Well -- how did I get here?"
-- Talking Heads, _Once in a Lifetime_

Miche

Jun 29, 2002, 6:09:18 PM6/29/02
In article
<hrdT8.58930$LC3.4...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I guess some folks always need something to bitch about. Jill really needs a
> hobby.

So do you.

Nancy Howells

Jun 29, 2002, 6:10:15 PM6/29/02
In article <20020629142932...@mb-fy.aol.com>,
conni...@aol.com (ConnieG999) wrote:

Hey, I make reservations. Not really -- usually, I get a take out salad
from the place in town that does them, or from Wendy's. If I'm that
exhausted that I can't even make a sandwich, I figure it's worth it. I
work three to four jobs -- not for the money, mind you -- but since I
get paid for them all, I might as well treat myself when I'm that blown.
Usually Bruce is that blown, too -- he works for Intel, and they work
him hard -- so it's worth it.

--
Nancy Howells (replace the ;-) with a link for my real email address)

Nancy Howells

Jun 29, 2002, 6:13:38 PM6/29/02
In article <20020629180029...@mb-ba.aol.com>,
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote:

> Siobhan Perricone <morgan...@starband.net> writes:
>
> >(PENMART01) wrote:

> >>So far nearly every response to your query involved cooking, scaled
> >>down
> >>cooking, but cooking nonetheless... whadaya all too wussy-wussy to tell
> >>the
> >>truth about how sometimes you eat junk food what needs no cooking
> >whatsoever?
> >
> >Well, sometimes I eat green beans out of the can, cold, with my fingers.
> >:)
>
> Ah, finally the truth. Me too, I sometimes pig out on canned veggies...

I used to eat canned peas, dumped into a bowl but not heated, for
breakfast when I was in college. Still get cravings for them, despite
the fact that normally I don't really like them all that much -- I love
peas, but prefer fresh or frozen.

PENMART01

Jun 29, 2002, 7:05:31 PM6/29/02
In article <20020629181921...@mb-mt.aol.com>, darve...@aol.com
(Naomi Darvell) writes:

>Penmart wrote:
>

>>Ah, finally the truth. Me too, I sometimes pig out on canned veggies... I

>>especially like Veg-All right from the can. I like canned veggies from the
>>can
>>even more when they're ice cold from the fridge... anyone remember when the
>>veggies were separated into layers in the can by paper rounds? Yes, I keep
>>good supply of canned veggies in the fridge. Cold canned beets are always
>>good.
>

><snip>
>
>Chilled Veg-All is great with a dab of mayo and some ground pepper.

I've been known to stir together a bowl a can of Veg-All with a can of
Campbells Tomato Soup... it's really good cold, sorta V-8ish.

The Avocado Avenger

Jun 29, 2002, 7:12:32 PM6/29/02
st...@temple.edu writes:

>Jill McQuown <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
>> you'll never have any energy?

>I take out a couple of those hotdogs, nuke them for two minutes to thaw
>them, then slice them into tiny fork sized pieces. Dump in a small can of
>Bush's baked beans, then nuke for another minute or two.

If it wasn't for Bush's baked beans, we'd never have hot dogs around
here. Ever. Your quick dinner sounds really good right now!
My favorite quick thing is Zatarains boxed Jambalaya mix. I buy several
boxes to have on hand (it's almost always sold out in stores) and also buy
some small bags of frozen salad shrimp and some hot-dog sized smoked
sausage. I just keep the sausage and shrimp in the freezer; you don't
have to defrost them.
I only fix one box at a time - just mix Jambalaya with the butter and
water per directions, then dump in the frozen baby shrimps right out of
the bag. As it's coming to a boil, I slice a sausage or two into smallish
chunks, and dump them in. Stir. I think it takes about 20 minutes to
cook and maybe 5 minutes of prep time, if that. If I have some leftover
frozen cornbread I heat it up in the microwave, but that's not a
requirement.

Stacia * The Avocado Avenger * Life is a tale told by an idiot;
http://world.std.com/~stacia/ * Full of sound and fury,
There is no guacamole anywhere. * Signifying nothing.

The Avocado Avenger

Jun 29, 2002, 7:17:02 PM6/29/02
"Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net> writes:

>I keep packages of tortillas on hand for just such emergencies. sometimes I
>just open a can of tuna and grab some greens and twist one up!!

That reminds me, another quick food I like is flour tortillas with some
fat free sour cream and salsa - roll it up and eat. The roomie likes
buttered tortillas with maybe some chopped green onion, but on a day like
Jill describes, I ain't choppin' nothing.
Or I get Taco Bell.

spam]@world.std.com Blair P. Houghton

Jun 29, 2002, 7:17:46 PM6/29/02
Jill McQuown <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Ah yes, I'd forgotten. One of my favorite simple things is pasta (it can be
>spaghetti or linguini or angel-hair) simply tossed with olive oil, salt,
>freshly ground black pepper and some grated Parm (maybe a dash of fennel
>seeds). Another favorite is wide egg noodles with s&p, a little butter and
>poppy seeds. Tell some people this was 'dinner' and some will say you "you
>must be nuts" ;-)

Speaking of, due to rather odd scheduling I managed to
eat nothing for dinner last night but 2.5 oz (shelled)
of Pistachios...

I was going to have dinner later, but by the time I got
to the bar it was almost ten, I wasn't all that hungry,
and I didn't want to force a basket of wings down my neck
so late.

And for some reason I didn't mind.

--Blair
"I'm either going mad or getting old."

spam]@world.std.com Blair P. Houghton

Jun 29, 2002, 7:22:13 PM6/29/02
<mr_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:32:13 GMT, "MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net>
>wrote:
>>I'd stop complaining and move to a neighborhood with decent delivery.
>>Sheesh.......
>>

>Are you a relative of Sheldon by any chance???

Can't be. There was no mention of excrement, vital
organs, genitalia, or mental incapacity.

--Blair
"Rules is rules."

spam]@world.std.com Blair P. Houghton

Jun 29, 2002, 7:32:26 PM6/29/02
notbob <not...@not.com> wrote:

>Jill McQuown wrote:
>> What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
>> you'll never have any energy?
>
>Two words ...toaster leavin's!

I'm really reluctant to share this, but...

This one time, in Mexico...

I looked into the bottom of the toaster.

Apparently, La Cucaracha is smart enough to make a home
in a place full of crumbs, but not smart enough to get
the hell out when fresh bread appears and the humming
noise starts. Nor do they seem to notice anything amiss
when several of their kind have made the same mistake.

I still haven't told my ex, who treats such beasts
as if they were foot-long scorpions with IRS Auditor
badges, but doesn't look in the toaster before using
it...

--Blair
"EEEEEEEEEEEEKK!! AAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
KILL IT!! KILL IT!!"
-Dinner at Sheldon's

spam]@world.std.com Blair P. Houghton

Jun 29, 2002, 7:36:28 PM6/29/02
Jack Schidt <jack....@snet.net> wrote:
>Cat food makes a great practical joke at appetizer parties. Oh, not that I
>ever tried it, but I hear tell......

Dog biscuits need salt.

--Blair
"What?"

mr_...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2002, 7:57:04 PM6/29/02

ROFLMAO!!!!

mr_...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2002, 7:59:11 PM6/29/02
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 16:26:59 GMT, "nexis1" <nex...@cox.net> wrote:

><mr_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 08:32:13 GMT, "MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net>
>> wrote:
>
>> >I'd stop complaining and move to a neighborhood with decent delivery.
>> >Sheesh.......
>> >

>> Are you a relative of Sheldon by any chance???
>

>Not a chance. Sheldon isn't a troll. This one seems to be.
>
>kimberly

As Billy Joel would say........."It still rock n' roll to me"!

Curly Sue

Jun 29, 2002, 7:52:59 PM6/29/02
<jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>What do you do when you don't have any energy but know you have to eat or
>you'll never have any energy?

It varies depending on what I have around, but lately it's been
"instant mango cheesecake": a graham cracker (one of the new "Nabisco
Honey Graham Crunchy Oat" ones) with a slice of cream cheese and mango
jam on top. The essentials of cheesecake without heating up the oven!
It's really good with a cup of tea.

It sounds like "dessert," but I think of it as protein and carbs :>
For a vegetable then, I've been munching on the pre-cleaned baby
carrots.

I really need to go grocery shopping and restock...

ConnieG999

Jun 29, 2002, 8:04:06 PM6/29/02
Nancy Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> writes:

>Isn't it disgusting? I've heard that tuna in a bag is! much
>better, costs more, but you get more than one and a half
>sandwiches out of it because there isn't so much filler.

Okay, I guess I've lost one too many brain cells, because this just doesn't
make any sense to me.
What "filler" is in canned tuna that you have to remove that causes you to have
less tuna than you started with?
Tuna in the can is usually 6, 9, or 12 ounces.
The tuna in the pouch is usually 3 or 7 ounces.
I think that's what may account for the difference, not presence of "filler."

aec

Jun 29, 2002, 8:08:10 PM6/29/02

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
uOiT8.3594$wj4.4...@e3500-atl2.usenetserver.com...
> "Siobhan Perricone" <morgan...@starband.net> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 09:34:00 GMT, "Wankerette"
> > <carrie...@NOSPAMns.sympatico.ca*****> wrote:
> >

> > >"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > ><snip>

> or

> > >Grilled Cheese Sammiches... :)

> > Oh yeah! Cucumber or green onion sandwiches are good, too!
> >
> > --
> > Siobhan Perricone
> > "If you accept a dinner invitation, you have a moral
> > obligation to be amusing."
> > - Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor
>
> See, I picture cucumber sandwiches as being served in a Victorian parlor
> along with tea... crust removed (of course). I read it someplace :-)

I'll hazard a guess that you read it in The Importance of Being Ernest
by...wait, it'll come back to me...right, Oscar Wilde.
Crustless cucumber sandwiches play an important role in that play.
Anne

aec

Jun 29, 2002, 8:10:13 PM6/29/02

"limey" <li...@toadstop.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
zFmT8.782$x17....@news.abs.net...

> "Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > "Siobhan Perricone" <morgan...@starband.net> wrote in message

> to eat
> > or

> > > Oh yeah! Cucumber or green onion sandwiches are good, too!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Siobhan Perricone
> > > "If you accept a dinner invitation, you have a moral
> > > obligation to be amusing."
> > > - Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor
> >
> > See, I picture cucumber sandwiches as being served in a Victorian
> parlor
> > along with tea... crust removed (of course). I read it someplace
> :-)
> >
> > Jill
>
> Hey, watch it, Jill! (laughing). I don't date back - quite - to the
> Victorian era and I've eaten many a cucumber-on-buttered-bread
> sandwich, as well as sliced tomatoes ditto (all with crusts removed,
> natch). When you're in your Victorian house you can serve those at
> teatime when I visit!
> My favorite lazy but starving food - slices of sharp Cheddar cheese,
> buttered crusty roll or bread, and pickles (ploughman's noontime
> dinner), cup of tea.

Don't forget the pickled onions with that ploughmans!! And for me, it needs
a beer, tea is later.
Or a raw onion and cheese sandwich and a beer - something I had in an
English pub for lunch - so good.
Anne

hahabogus

Jun 29, 2002, 8:22:47 PM6/29/02
"aec" <anne.c...@bull.net> wrote in news:afliag$eqbdo$1@ID-
137632.news.dfncis.de:

thought that was that woodhouse guy.

mr_...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2002, 8:27:08 PM6/29/02

Wish I had a wife like that......hell....wish I had a wife!

The UnliikelyBubba
http://www.alltel.net/~bubba2/index.html

aec

Jun 29, 2002, 8:50:40 PM6/29/02

"PENMART01" <penm...@aol.como> a écrit dans le message de news:
20020629180029...@mb-ba.aol.com...

You're talking about a kind of foraging trip in the kitchen, right?
Ok, but it's boring. PB on a spoon, from the jar. Sometimes, instead of a
spoon for the peanut butter, I will use a square or two of chocolate to
scoop it out.
As a kid I loved peanut butter, baloney and potato chip
sandwiches...sometimes I miss those, but can't bring myself to make one.
Crunchy granola from the box.
Salted sunflower nuts that someone brought over from the US for me (cause
here their bird food) - handfuls of them.
Oh, I forgot, and this is evil...the kids' candy...! "Hey, who ate
my....???" I always fess up.
A fresh tomato that I eat like an apple - yummm.
Mini blinis and tsatziki (that's pretty common over - often used as a
starter or an hors d'oeuvres), or blinis and tamara (I can't remember if
that is how it's spelled. It's a pink color and it's made from creme
fraiche and fish eggs, lemon juice - oh it's too late.
g'night.
Anne

Siobhan Perricone

Jun 29, 2002, 8:59:45 PM6/29/02
On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:06:37 +1200, Miche <michec...@mac.com> wrote:

>The trick to really good cucumber sandwiches is to lay the slices on a
>paper towel and _lightly_ sprinkle with salt. Lay another paper towel
>over the top and let it drain for about 10mins. That way you don't get
>soggy sandwiches.

I just slather on the butter thickly, and they never last long enough to
get soggy. OM NOM NOM!

Jill McQuown

Jun 29, 2002, 9:06:04 PM6/29/02
"aec" <anne.c...@bull.net> wrote in message
That's hilarious! And you're absolutely right. How on earth did you know
I'd read and seen that play?!

One thing I love to do is see live productions done by local theatre groups.
That was one of the funniest plays I've seen.

'Come Back Little Sheba' was heartbreaking and so well acted. I loved
Williams' 'The Glass Menagerie' when I read it, but the local production was
just so-so. 'Suddenly Last Summer' was very dark and rather frightening,
well done.

Heh, Martha Hughes thinks I need a hobby, does she? (laughing)

Jill

It is loading more messages.