Thai Chicken Wings (Re: Sukhumvit Soi Five Fried Chicken)

Sqwertz

Sep 13, 2009, 4:40:37 PM9/13/09
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:30:30 -0400, i...@notcox.net wrote:
>
>> Jarrett Wrisley has an interesting story and an intriguing recipe for
>> the delicious fried chicken available on Bangkok streets here:
>>
>> http://food.theatlantic.com/abroad/better-than-southern-fried-chicken.php
>>
>> Who knew that the chicken guy outside Foodland on Soi 5 had a fried
>> chicken recipe good enough for the Royal Benja Hotel to buy?
>
> I've been using a slurry of rice flour and Mae Ploy curry pastes as
> a marinade chicken wings for a while now. I'll try adding fish
> sauce and extra garlic.
>
> The Mae Ploy curry pastes have gotten really cheap here - only
> $1.99 for a 14oz tub. SOi you can be generous with the marinade
> ingredients. And they have all the basic thai seasonings already in
> them. I just wish they weren't so salty - which is why I'd be
> worried about the fish sauce.

I used the fish sauce this time around and it added a little more
depth of flavor. Fish sauce perks up most anything when used in
moderation. Except chocolate milk.

I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
other way.

Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
tossing several times then drained and deep fried.

http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg

No sauce or condiments required.

I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).

-sw

Christine Dabney

Sep 13, 2009, 4:51:34 PM9/13/09
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:40:37 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
>slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
>shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
>for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
>other way.

To get glutinous rice flour, do you have to grind the rice yourself? I
can get rice flour in bags, but have no idea of what kind it is.

And does the glutinous rice flour provide a crispier coating?

I ask, because I have fixed Pim's (of Chez Pim) Thai fried chicken on
2 occasions. Each time, I wasn't quite satisfied with the coating...
She coats with rice flour after marinating, and then fries...

>Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
>with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
>1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
>tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
>http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
>No sauce or condiments required.
>
>I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
>above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
>roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).
>
>-sw

Pim uses cilantro stems as well. I think I like your marinade better
than hers...at least from the looks of the ingredients and the final
picture.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

George Leppla

Sep 13, 2009, 5:07:57 PM9/13/09

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote

> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.

Looks great, but I am not a big fan of red curry paste. I'm thinking of
using Sriracha sauce instead when I try it.

Nice picture!

George L

Sqwertz

Sep 13, 2009, 5:14:12 PM9/13/09
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:51:34 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:40:37 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> wrote:
>
>>I think I'm going to switch away from using the rice flour in the
>>slurry and going back to draining my marinated wings well, then
>>shake in a bag with glutinous rice flour to coat. Then allow to set
>>for 10-15 minutes. I can see why a street vendor would do it the
>>other way.
>
> To get glutinous rice flour, do you have to grind the rice yourself? I
> can get rice flour in bags, but have no idea of what kind it is.

I buy it in 1-lb bags. Looks like:
http://importfood.com/fger1601.html

It's always clearly marked as glutinous, unlike many Asian imports.

> And does the glutinous rice flour provide a crispier coating?

It's all I've ever used. It makes a very crisp coating. Better
than any cornstarch or wheat flour. I would think the extra
starch/gluten would be better than regular rice flour, but I've
never tried regular rice flour.

> I ask, because I have fixed Pim's (of Chez Pim) Thai fried chicken on
> 2 occasions. Each time, I wasn't quite satisfied with the coating...
> She coats with rice flour after marinating, and then fries...

I think rice flour is pretty common in all Asian restaurants and
everything is as crispy as I could expect. It also tends to keep it
crispiness longer.

-sw (restoring legitimate crossposting. This started at AFA. If
you need to snip anything, snip RFC)

Sqwertz

Sep 13, 2009, 5:40:15 PM9/13/09

Mae Ploy has all sorts of curry pastes. I have 3 difefrrent kinds
in the fridge right now. They're only $2/14 tub so you can use them
generously.

You could also use Hoy Fong's Chili Garlic Sauce. I like the
various flavors of the curry pastes though. Lots of good stuff in
there (but too much salt).

-sw

Clay Irving

Sep 13, 2009, 8:10:47 PM9/13/09
On 2009-09-13, Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> To get glutinous rice flour, do you have to grind the rice yourself? I
> can get rice flour in bags, but have no idea of what kind it is.

Try:

- http://importfood.com/fger1601.html
- http://grocerythai.com/glutinous-rice-flour-p-141.html
- http://www.templeofthai.com/food/flour_sugar/sticky-1220111107.php

--
Clay Irving <cl...@panix.com>
Eat right, exercise daily, live clean, die anyway.

Clay Irving

Sep 13, 2009, 8:17:15 PM9/13/09
Here is a video I took of a street vendor frying chicken in a market in
Thailand:

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirving/3797533554/

--
Clay Irving <cl...@panix.com>
echo "Your stdio isn't very std."

Sqwertz

Sep 13, 2009, 9:35:56 PM9/13/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 00:10:47 +0000 (UTC), Clay Irving wrote:

> - http://www.templeofthai.com/food/flour_sugar/sticky-1220111107.php

From the site:

"Consider adding sticky rice flour to a glutton-free diet"

This is good to know as I'm trying to cut back on my gluttony.

BTW, for those who care - The term "glutinous" is not referring to
actual gluten. This rice flour *is* acceptable for those on
gluten-free diets. People on such diets can use this as a thin
batter or coasting for [deep] frying.

-sw

Sqwertz

Sep 13, 2009, 9:39:12 PM9/13/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 00:17:15 +0000 (UTC), Clay Irving wrote:

> Here is a video I took of a street vendor frying chicken in a market in
> Thailand:
>
> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirving/3797533554/

How hot do you think that oil is? It sure looks "well used".

-sw

Michael

Sep 13, 2009, 10:08:57 PM9/13/09
"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg

Yum!

> No sauce or condiments required.

I'd have to try lime juice. Sorry. :)

> I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
> above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
> roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).

That's weird. In Australia I've never seen fresh coriander for sale without
the roots on.

ia...@notcox.net

Sep 13, 2009, 11:04:30 PM9/13/09

Nice pic - I want some right now!

ia...@notcox.net

Sep 13, 2009, 11:09:12 PM9/13/09

I have used a Jean-Gorges Vongerichten recipe for deep-fried fish that
uses a rice flour batter - its mixed with some sesame oil, wine vinegar
and other items that don't come to mind, but the point is that the
batter is the best fish batter I ever made, and I wouldn't deep fry fish
any other way now.

With the good weather coming to an end, there won't be much more
deep-frying of fish, since that is solely an outdoor activity!

Ian

Sqwertz

Sep 13, 2009, 11:28:19 PM9/13/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:08:57 +1000, Michael wrote:

> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:13:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> Yum!
>
>> No sauce or condiments required.
>
> I'd have to try lime juice. Sorry. :)

Good suggestion. I actually had some cut up limes sitting right
there as I ate them.

> That's weird. In Australia I've never seen fresh coriander for sale without
> the roots on.

Not here in the US. I've only once seen them at the big Asian
grocers.

-sw

Omelet

Sep 14, 2009, 2:20:32 AM9/14/09
In article <1np9m68x...@sqwertz.com>,
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.
>
> I have tried chicken prepared similar to the recipe in the link
> above and it's a keeper as well. Use cilantro stems instead of
> roots (you'd be lucky to find roots unless you grow them yourself).
>
> -sw

Oh man that looks good! You can cook for me any time babe. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

Omelet

Sep 14, 2009, 2:26:50 AM9/14/09
In article <slrnhar2s...@panix1.panix.com>,
Clay Irving <cl...@panix.com> wrote:

> Here is a video I took of a street vendor frying chicken in a market in
> Thailand:
>
> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirving/3797533554/

I had fun viewing a lot of your pics, but the video would not play.
I run Firefox.

Michael

Sep 14, 2009, 3:15:09 AM9/14/09

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In article <slrnhar2s...@panix1.panix.com>,
> Clay Irving <cl...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Here is a video I took of a street vendor frying chicken in a market in
>> Thailand:
>>
>> - http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirving/3797533554/
>
> I had fun viewing a lot of your pics, but the video would not play.
> I run Firefox.

I had trouble streaming it too. It would play and then freeze. I used the
firefox extension called 'downThemAll' to nab it. 'DownloadHelper' worked
too.

Jean B.

Sep 14, 2009, 10:32:27 AM9/14/09

Do you think one could bake them?

Hmmm. I might be tempted to try a tom yum paste....

--
Jean B.

blake murphy

Sep 14, 2009, 11:18:59 AM9/14/09
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:40:37 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.

they look good, steve.

your pal,
blake

notbob

Sep 14, 2009, 11:19:38 AM9/14/09
On 2009-09-14, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> It sure looks "well used".

My first thought, too. Looks like it's left over from the Vietnam war
era.

nb

ChattyCathy

Sep 14, 2009, 11:33:31 AM9/14/09
Sqwertz wrote:

> Here was my latest batch using 2TB Mae Ploy red curry paste mixed
> with 1/8C veggie oil, 1/2C glutinous rice flour, and 3/4C water, and
> 1TB fish sauce. Marinated 1lb of wings in this for 24 hours,
> tossing several times then drained and deep fried.
>
> http://i29.tinypic.com/wk0dap.jpg
>
> No sauce or condiments required.

Looks PDG good to me. Another reason why I don't mind spending a little
extra moolah for chicken wings...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

George Leppla

Sep 14, 2009, 12:15:52 PM9/14/09

"ChattyCathy" <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

I do. It galls me to be able to buy leg quarters for 45 cents a pound or
less and have to pay $1.57+++ for wings. I like them but I always get the
feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy them. So I don't have them
very often.

George L

ChattyCathy

Sep 14, 2009, 12:26:02 PM9/14/09
George Leppla wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" wrote

>> Looks PDG good to me. Another reason why I don't mind spending a
>> little extra moolah for chicken wings...
>

> I do. It galls me to be able to buy leg quarters for 45 cents a pound
> or less and have to pay $1.57+++ for wings. I like them but I always
> get the
> feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy them. So I don't have
> them very often.

Well, it's either that - or have a bunch of wingless chickens running
around in my back yard ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Andy

Sep 14, 2009, 12:28:06 PM9/14/09
George Leppla said...

>> Looks PDG good to me. Another reason why I don't mind spending a little
>> extra moolah for chicken wings...

Chicken wings are way more bones than meat!

I don't understand the attraction.

Andy

brooklyn1

Sep 14, 2009, 1:18:58 PM9/14/09
There are leg men, breast men, and wing men... guess which I am...

( ^ )( ^ )

Andy

Sep 14, 2009, 1:21:35 PM9/14/09
brooklyn1 said...

Heh heh heh!

I'm more a middle of the road man!

Andy

Omelet

Sep 14, 2009, 2:40:01 PM9/14/09
In article <h8lq9...@enews2.newsguy.com>,
"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

Ditto here. I can get drumsticks all the time now for $.99.
I generally buy them instead.

They can take their expensive wings and stuff them.

notbob

Sep 14, 2009, 2:56:34 PM9/14/09
On 2009-09-14, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <h8lq9...@enews2.newsguy.com>,
> "George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

>> less and have to pay $1.57+++ for wings. I like them but I always get the
>> feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy them. So I don't have them
>> very often.
>

> Ditto here. I can get drumsticks all the time now for $.99.
> I generally buy them instead.

Which amazes me. We all know chicken wings are so expensive due to
their insane popularity. Bars and restaruants buy 'em by the ship
load. So, why don't they change to Buffalo Legs? Not that much
difference in the actual meat. Less overhead so more profit, you
would think. Is it because wings deep fry quicker, therefore allowing
faster prep/turnover?

> They can take their expensive wings and stuff them.

Are you gonna post the recipe? ;)

nb

Christine Dabney

Sep 14, 2009, 3:12:12 PM9/14/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:56:34 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

So, why don't they change to Buffalo Legs? Not that much
>difference in the actual meat. Less overhead so more profit, you
>would think. Is it because wings deep fry quicker, therefore allowing
>faster prep/turnover?

Some of us really, really like chicken wings. I like gnawing on the
bones... When I roast a chicken, those are the first to be eaten....

Drumsticks, not as much fun to eat, in my opinion. ;)

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

notbob

Sep 14, 2009, 3:27:11 PM9/14/09
On 2009-09-14, Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Drumsticks, not as much fun to eat, in my opinion. ;)

Silly me. I was only thinking of the actual food. Perhaps I should
market a wing bone Binky.

nb

Omelet

Sep 14, 2009, 3:28:02 PM9/14/09
In article <slrnhat4du...@myvai2.notbob.com>,
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

> On 2009-09-14, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In article <h8lq9...@enews2.newsguy.com>,
> > "George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:
>
> >> less and have to pay $1.57+++ for wings. I like them but I always get the
> >> feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy them. So I don't have them
> >> very often.
> >
> > Ditto here. I can get drumsticks all the time now for $.99.
> > I generally buy them instead.
>
> Which amazes me. We all know chicken wings are so expensive due to
> their insane popularity. Bars and restaruants buy 'em by the ship
> load. So, why don't they change to Buffalo Legs? Not that much
> difference in the actual meat. Less overhead so more profit, you
> would think. Is it because wings deep fry quicker, therefore allowing
> faster prep/turnover?

Lets not give them ideas. <g>

> > They can take their expensive wings and stuff them.
>
> Are you gonna post the recipe? ;)
>
> nb

<lol> There are actually recipes for stuffed Thai chicken wings.
<searches hard drive>:

Ok, credit to Nick Cramer from austin.food:

Stuffed Chicken Wings (Peed Gai Sod Sai) [long]

NOTE: If you're serving it as an appetizer, slice the pieces half as
thick
as for a main course]

NOTE 2: Begin the dish way in advance, 'cause boning is time-consuming
the
first few times ya do it.

NOTE 3: The batter can also be used for deep-frying other meats and
veggie.

Boning chicken wings:

Practice will improve your technique and speed. If your market removes
the
wing-tips, shop elsewhere.

1. If possible, select wings that have relatively loose skins, which
makes
it easier to manipulate the bones, skin, meat and knife.

2. Make sure that your knife is VERY sharp, and preferably has a narrow,
curved blade, like a boning knife.

3. Bring the wings to room temperature. The meat and skin of cold wings
are
more difficult to handle.

4. Hold a wing vertically, with the part that was attached to the body
pointing up. Cut carefully around the bone to sever all tendons. There
are
several tendons, so make sure you get all of them.

5. Scrape the meat back from the bone, holding the knife blade close to
the
bone and being careful to not puncture the skin. Or push the meat from
the
bone with your fingers, working down towards the elbow. As you work down,
fold the skin back on the part of the wing you haven't reached yet, like
turning a balloon inside-out. Continue turning it inside-out as you work.
When you finish, the wing will be inside-out.

6. When you reach the elbow, examine to see how the skin is attached. Cut
and peel carefully to loosen the skin, meat and tendons. This is where
you're most likely to puncture the skin. After the skin and tendons have
been cut and pulled from the bone and elbow, remove the bone by bending
the
joint gently backwards and pulling it out with a twisting motion. Be
careful not to break the bones in the second section.

7. Use the same procedure for loosening the skin, meat and tendons on the
next section of bone.

8. When you reach the next joint, remove the bones by twisting as
described
in Step 6, above. It's easier to remove the small bone first, as that
gives
you more room to maneuver the large one.

9. At this point, the chicken wing will be folded inside-out. Find the
tip
of the wing and pull it carefully through the boned wing to position the
skin on the outside. Check for tiny holes to see where you may have cut
or
poked through the skin, so you'll have an idea of how to not make that
same
mistake again. If there are some holes, don't worry about them.

See 'Ahead -of-time' note below.

******************************

Ingredients: (Serves 6 to 8)

6 chicken wings

2 oz. bean threads
1 cup warm water

2 Tbs finely chopped coriander root ( or bottom 1" of cilantro stems)
1 Tbs. finely chopped garlic

? lb. ground chicken
1-1/2 Tbs. fish sauce (nam pla) [to taste]
1 egg yolk
1/8 tsp. ground white pepper

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 to 1 cup thick coconut milk
3 Tbs. Red Lime Liquid (see below)
? tsp. salt
1 Tbs. egg white (optional)
vegetable oil for deep frying

Garlic Sauce (see below)

1. Bone the chicken wings as above.

2. Soak the bean threads in warm water for 10 minutes. They should be
pliable, but firm.

3. Pound or grind the coriander root and garlic to a coarse paste in a
mortar, blender or food processor. If you use a blender, you may have to
add the fish sauce here.

4. Drain the bean threads thoroughly and cut them into 1" pieces. Set
aside.

5. Mix the ground chicken, paste from Step 3, fish sauce (if you didn't
use
it above). bean threads, egg yolk and white pepper thoroughly.

6. Divide the mixture into 6 portions and stuff the chicken wings with
it,
making sure it goes all the way to the end of the wings. Massaging the
wings from the outside helps get the stuffing in completely. If the wings
have a few small holes in them, don't worry about it, but try to keep the
stuffing from poking out. You don't need to tie or skewer the opening at
the end.

Ahead-of-time note: The wings can be prepared up to this point up to a
day
in advance. Refrigerate, covered, and bring to room temperature before
continuing.

7. Combine the flour, coconut milk, red lime liquid, salt and pepper to
form a smooth batter. (Beat the optional egg white until stiff, but not
dry, and fold it in.)

8. Heat 1-1/2" oil to 375 F. in a wok or deep skillet. Dip the stuffed
wings in the batter, one at a time and deep-fry them 'till they're
golden-brown. Don't over-crowd the pan or the wings won't brown properly.
Drain the fried wings on paper towels.

9. Slice the wings diagonally into pieces about ?" thick. Serve hot, warm
or at room temperature with Garlic Sauce.

*************************

Red Lime Liquid

Put a 3.5 oz. pkg. of Red Lime Paste (available in Thai/Asian markets)
into
a one quart jar and fill with water. Shake or stir well and let it sit
for
at least 30 minutes before using. Replace liquid removed and shake. Can
be
kept indefinitely in the pantry, repeating this procedure, 'til the
residue
has turned pale, almost white.

**************************

Garlic Sauce (Nam Jim Gratiem)

Makes 3/4 cup

? cup water
? cup white vinegar
? cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground chili paste
2 tsp. (4 cloves) finely chopped garlic
? tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients in a stainless steel or enamel saucepan and boil
slowly until volume is reduced by half. It will thicken more as it cools.
Recommended room temperature consistency is a little thinner than
unwhipped
heavy cream. Adjust by adding water or additional boiling, 'til you've
got
what you like.

Use immediately or store in a covered jar in the 'fridge for up to two
months. Bring to room temperature before using.

Recipes from "Thai Home-Cooking from Kamolmal's Kitchen", but this is
about how Jun makes it.

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks !
! !
~Semper Fi~

Christine Dabney

Sep 14, 2009, 3:33:00 PM9/14/09

Chicken wings aren't food? ;)

Well...as I said..some of us really like chicken wings, even if you
don't...

Omelet

Sep 14, 2009, 3:41:15 PM9/14/09
In article <p95ta5t0osd0iga7t...@4ax.com>,
Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

I agree that wings are better, but they are just so damned expensive!
I'd rather buy the whole bird.

notbob

Sep 14, 2009, 3:52:09 PM9/14/09
On 2009-09-14, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Are you gonna post the recipe? ;)
>>
>> nb
>
><lol> There are actually recipes for stuffed Thai chicken wings.
><searches hard drive>:

Holy crap! I was just being facetious. I had no idea there was such
a thing. Judging by the recipe, it's no wonder. Must hafta have a
full time staff to make such a dish. You ever tried to find cilantro
roots? I have. Ain't gonna happen unless you grow your own. I never
even heard of red lime juice or whatever the heck that was. But, I'll
save the recipe for chuckles, if only I can get my suddenly
cantankerous news reader to do a save. ;)

nb

TammyM

Sep 14, 2009, 4:00:49 PM9/14/09
Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:27:11 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2009-09-14, Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Drumsticks, not as much fun to eat, in my opinion. ;)
>> Silly me. I was only thinking of the actual food. Perhaps I should
>> market a wing bone Binky.
>>
>> nb
>
> Chicken wings aren't food? ;)
>
> Well...as I said..some of us really like chicken wings, even if you
> don't...
>
> ;)

LOL! nb and I are totally sympatico!!

TammyM

Sqwertz

Sep 14, 2009, 5:10:13 PM9/14/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:32:27 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> Do you think one could bake them?

Sure. I almost baked these, but then I weighed the pan cleanup
against the smell of frying (and resulting texture) and the later
one. These smells great as they were frying.

> Hmmm. I might be tempted to try a tom yum paste....

I'd be tempted to add some sugar, then. That paste is pretty tart.

-sw

Victor Sack

Sep 14, 2009, 5:15:29 PM9/14/09
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

> Which amazes me. We all know chicken wings are so expensive due to
> their insane popularity. Bars and restaruants buy 'em by the ship
> load. So, why don't they change to Buffalo Legs? Not that much
> difference in the actual meat.

I think it is not the meat that makes a difference, but the ratio of
skin to meat. Skin is the tastiest part, at least as far as a lot of
people are concerned. Here in Germany, chicken wings are not nearly as
popular as in the USA and consequently do not cost quite as much
compared to other chicken parts, but I still prefer the legs and thighs
(or both in one piece) for cooking at home.

Victor

Jean B.

Sep 14, 2009, 7:14:16 PM9/14/09

Yeah, that's why I like it. :-) I don't like deep-frying, which
is why I asked. This looks like a worthy direction for
experimentation--and the weather is cooling down.

--
Jean B.

ChattyCathy

Sep 15, 2009, 2:36:16 AM9/15/09
Christine Dabney wrote:

> Some of us really, really like chicken wings. I like gnawing on the
> bones... When I roast a chicken, those are the first to be eaten....

<Cathy raises hand - Me too! Me too!>

> Drumsticks, not as much fun to eat, in my opinion. ;)

Quite so.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Sqwertz

Sep 15, 2009, 3:03:24 AM9/15/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:14:16 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> This looks like a worthy direction for
> experimentation--and the weather is cooling down.

It's just chicken. It's kinda cool.

-sw

brooklyn1

Sep 15, 2009, 10:31:03 AM9/15/09

Figures the gals would be more experienced. hehe

blake murphy

Sep 15, 2009, 2:02:55 PM9/15/09

i'm with you, george. even though i might enjoy them more, i have a mental
block about paying more for them than other parts. the people of buffalo
must be punished for this.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Sep 15, 2009, 2:03:42 PM9/15/09

it'll make a nice change from the headless chickens.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Sep 15, 2009, 2:04:38 PM9/15/09

you can remember that far back?

blake

blake murphy

Sep 15, 2009, 2:11:06 PM9/15/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 23:15:29 +0200, Victor Sack wrote:

> notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:
>
>> Which amazes me. We all know chicken wings are so expensive due to
>> their insane popularity. Bars and restaruants buy 'em by the ship
>> load. So, why don't they change to Buffalo Legs? Not that much
>> difference in the actual meat.
>
> I think it is not the meat that makes a difference, but the ratio of
> skin to meat. Skin is the tastiest part, at least as far as a lot of
> people are concerned.

ah, victor, you beat me to it.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Sep 15, 2009, 2:22:17 PM9/15/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:56:34 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2009-09-14, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In article <h8lq9...@enews2.newsguy.com>,
>> "George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:
>
>>> less and have to pay $1.57+++ for wings. I like them but I always get the
>>> feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy them. So I don't have them
>>> very often.
>>
>> Ditto here. I can get drumsticks all the time now for $.99.
>> I generally buy them instead.
>
> Which amazes me. We all know chicken wings are so expensive due to
> their insane popularity. Bars and restaruants buy 'em by the ship
> load. So, why don't they change to Buffalo Legs? Not that much
> difference in the actual meat. Less overhead so more profit, you
> would think. Is it because wings deep fry quicker, therefore allowing
> faster prep/turnover?

i still think it's the skin/meat ratio that makes it. depending on the
preparation, more area for the marinade to flavor, or the coating to adhere
to...

your pal,
blake

Christine Dabney

Sep 15, 2009, 2:24:29 PM9/15/09
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:22:17 -0400, blake murphy
<blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

>i still think it's the skin/meat ratio that makes it. depending on the
>preparation, more area for the marinade to flavor, or the coating to adhere
>to...
>
>your pal,
>blake

I think you are right. I just love the crispy skin on chicken wings:
so flavorful.

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

Omelet

Sep 15, 2009, 2:36:31 PM9/15/09
In article <slrnhat7m4...@myvai2.notbob.com>,
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

> On 2009-09-14, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Are you gonna post the recipe? ;)
> >>
> >> nb
> >
> ><lol> There are actually recipes for stuffed Thai chicken wings.
> ><searches hard drive>:
>
> Holy crap! I was just being facetious. I had no idea there was such
> a thing. Judging by the recipe, it's no wonder. Must hafta have a
> full time staff to make such a dish.

Jun (Nicks wife) is Thai, and very creative. ;-)

> You ever tried to find cilantro
> roots? I have. Ain't gonna happen unless you grow your own.

I'm not a Cilantro fan.

> I never
> even heard of red lime juice or whatever the heck that was. But, I'll
> save the recipe for chuckles, if only I can get my suddenly
> cantankerous news reader to do a save. ;)
>
> nb

rofl. Hope it works for ya!
If not, e-mail me. It's on permanent file.

brooklyn1

Sep 15, 2009, 2:36:45 PM9/15/09
blake moishey wrote:
>Victor Sack wrote:

>> notbob wrote:
>>
>>> Which amazes me. We all know chicken wings are so expensive due to
>>> their insane popularity. Bars and restaruants buy 'em by the ship
>>> load. So, why don't they change to Buffalo Legs? Not that much
>>> difference in the actual meat.
>>
>> I think it is not the meat that makes a difference, but the ratio of
>> skin to meat. Skin is the tastiest part, at least as far as a lot of
>> people are concerned.
>
> ah, victor, you beat me to it.

You can raid the circumcision clinic dumpster... if you can catch it
before they do the seasonal mick planting.

Omelet

Sep 15, 2009, 3:09:12 PM9/15/09
In article <oowrcm964o8u.rtw26ns0ud2l$.d...@40tude.net>,
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

That was mean. ;-)

Sqwertz

Sep 15, 2009, 3:34:37 PM9/15/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:15:52 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

> I do. It galls me to be able to buy leg quarters for 45 cents a pound or

> less and have to pay $1.57+++ for wings. I like them but I always get the
> feeling that I'm getting ripped off when I buy them. So I don't have them
> very often.

What gets me are the restaurants selling 10 wings for $7.99. I
refuse to order wings for more than $.40 each or $6.00lb. Which
means I haven't ordered chicken wings for about a decade.

-sw

Sqwertz

Sep 15, 2009, 3:35:46 PM9/15/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:18:58 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

> There are leg men, breast men, and wing men... guess which I am...

The middle leg man.

-sw

Sqwertz

Sep 15, 2009, 3:36:38 PM9/15/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:21:35 -0500, Andy wrote:

> I'm more a middle of the road man!

On a blind corner, would be an improvement.

-sw

notbob

Sep 15, 2009, 3:40:35 PM9/15/09
On 2009-09-15, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> What gets me are the restaurants selling 10 wings for $7.99. I
> refuse to order wings for more than $.40 each or $6.00lb. Which
> means I haven't ordered chicken wings for about a decade.

Yeah, it's gotten out of hand. I used to get a dozen for $3-4. Now,
what with wing cook-offs, every resto in the US serving them,
tailgating parties, etc, there's not enough wings to go around so they
sell at a premium. What really scares me is, I won't be the least bit
surprised when some agribiz beaker geek comes up with a four winged
chicken!

nb

brooklyn1

Sep 15, 2009, 3:57:43 PM9/15/09
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:34:37 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>I often see turkey wings selling for less than half per pound the price of chicken wings.

Sqwertz

Sep 15, 2009, 5:44:37 PM9/15/09
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:52:09 GMT, notbob wrote:

> Holy crap! I was just being facetious. I had no idea there was such
> a thing. Judging by the recipe, it's no wonder. Must hafta have a
> full time staff to make such a dish.

Most of the Thai restaurants in the BA had them, usually served with
a watery plum sauce (made with plums). I don't think I've seen them
o the menus here in Austin.

-sw

Sqwertz

Sep 15, 2009, 5:54:44 PM9/15/09
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:57:43 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

> I often see turkey wings selling for less than half per
> pound the price of chicken wings.

Yeah - but turkey wings suck. I suspect there's a surplus of these,
judging by how quickly they fly off the shelves.

-sw

Omelet

Sep 15, 2009, 8:09:34 PM9/15/09
In article <1uydt40woi4ry$.p...@sqwertz.com>,
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

If you think turkey wings suck, you don't know how to prepare them.

George Leppla

Sep 15, 2009, 8:37:20 PM9/15/09

> In article <1uydt40woi4ry$.p...@sqwertz.com>,
> Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:57:43 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> > I often see turkey wings selling for less than half per
>> > pound the price of chicken wings.
>>
>> Yeah - but turkey wings suck. I suspect there's a surplus of these,
>> judging by how quickly they fly off the shelves.
>>
>> -sw
>
> If you think turkey wings suck, you don't know how to prepare them.

If I ever get a smoker, I think one of my first projects will be smoked
turkey legs and wings.

George L

Omelet

Sep 15, 2009, 9:52:37 PM9/15/09
In article <h8pc1...@enews1.newsguy.com>,
"George Leppla" <geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

I've been considering brining and smoking a _whole_ turkey. :-d
I just have to get my temperature stability down first.

RegForte

Sep 15, 2009, 9:57:46 PM9/15/09
Omelet wrote:

> I've been considering brining and smoking a _whole_ turkey. :-d
> I just have to get my temperature stability down first.

The downside is the usual one... the skin won't get
crisp. You can always finish in the oven at high heat, but
it's a kind of a bitch moving a big, hot turkey between
cookers :)

--
Reg

Sqwertz

Sep 16, 2009, 1:31:24 AM9/16/09
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:09:34 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article <1uydt40woi4ry$.p...@sqwertz.com>,
> Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
>
>> Yeah - but turkey wings suck. I suspect there's a surplus of these,
>> judging by how quickly they fly off the shelves.
>

> If you think turkey wings suck, you don't know how to prepare them.

I could say the same to you about cilantro. And your reaction would
be the same as mine is now: Turkey Wings/Cilantro sucks no matter
how it's prepared.

-sw

Stormmee

Sep 16, 2009, 5:03:33 AM9/16/09
would appreciate the batter recipe, Lee

"i...@notcox.net" <ia...@notcox.net> wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:51:34 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> To get glutinous rice flour, do you have to grind the rice yourself? I
>>> can get rice flour in bags, but have no idea of what kind it is.
>>
>> I buy it in 1-lb bags. Looks like: http://importfood.com/fger1601.html
>>
>> It's always clearly marked as glutinous, unlike many Asian imports.
>>
>>> And does the glutinous rice flour provide a crispier coating?
>>
>> It's all I've ever used. It makes a very crisp coating. Better
>> than any cornstarch or wheat flour. I would think the extra
>> starch/gluten would be better than regular rice flour, but I've
>> never tried regular rice flour.
>>
>>> I ask, because I have fixed Pim's (of Chez Pim) Thai fried chicken on
>>> 2 occasions. Each time, I wasn't quite satisfied with the coating...
>>> She coats with rice flour after marinating, and then fries...
>>
>> I think rice flour is pretty common in all Asian restaurants and
>> everything is as crispy as I could expect. It also tends to keep it
>> crispiness longer.
>
> I have used a Jean-Gorges Vongerichten recipe for deep-fried fish that
> uses a rice flour batter - its mixed with some sesame oil, wine vinegar
> and other items that don't come to mind, but the point is that the batter
> is the best fish batter I ever made, and I wouldn't deep fry fish any
> other way now.
>
> With the good weather coming to an end, there won't be much more
> deep-frying of fish, since that is solely an outdoor activity!
>
> Ian

blake murphy

Sep 16, 2009, 12:54:57 PM9/16/09
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:09:34 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article <1uydt40woi4ry$.p...@sqwertz.com>,
> Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 19:57:43 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> I often see turkey wings selling for less than half per
>>> pound the price of chicken wings.
>>
>> Yeah - but turkey wings suck. I suspect there's a surplus of these,
>> judging by how quickly they fly off the shelves.
>>
>> -sw
>
> If you think turkey wings suck, you don't know how to prepare them.

turkey wings and chicken wings are two different animals.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Sep 16, 2009, 12:58:00 PM9/16/09

stuffed chicken wings used to be on the menu at every d.c. thai restaurant.
maybe not as much now, but i suspect it's the general move away from
deep-fried stuff.

your pal,
blake

Omelet

Sep 16, 2009, 1:23:10 PM9/16/09
In article <h8pgmq$18a$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
RegForte <r...@nospam.com> wrote:

There is that. ;-)

Omelet

Sep 16, 2009, 1:24:16 PM9/16/09
In article <7n3f48g579p4$.p...@sqwertz.com>,
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

Ok. ;-)

I suspect you are one that simply does not care for turkey.

And that's ok!

Jean B.

Sep 16, 2009, 9:04:50 PM9/16/09

I think, too, that meat next to the bone, like you get with wings,
tends to be more moist etc.

--
Jean B.

ia...@notcox.net

Sep 16, 2009, 10:04:41 PM9/16/09
Stormmee wrote:
> would appreciate the batter recipe, Lee

I thought that might happen.

Its from Vongerichten's recipe for Skate Wing with Ginger-Garlic-Black
Bean Crumbs, which is really great, and maybe one day soon I'll type out
the whole thing. Its in his book 'Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges'. Here's
the tempura batter recipe:

INGREDIENTS
1 cup plus 2 TB rice flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sherry vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp grape seed, corn, or other neutral oil
3/4 tsp salt (sea or kosher)
3/4 cup cold water

METHOD
Mix the vinegar, oils, salt and water together in a large mixing bowl.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, then add them
to the mixing bowl and stir gently until the mixture is smooth.

Heat your oil (peanut is good) to 400f.

Pat your fish dry, then dredge it in some rice flour (not listed above).
Shake off the excess, then dip it in the batter, and shake off the
excess again.

Lower into oil and fry until golden, turning occaisionally. Don't crowd
the pan, drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with salt and white pepper.

I did this with skate, cod, and whiting, and its always great. I used
glutinous and non-glutinous rice flour, and I'm not sure which is best.

If you try it, please come back with a report?

Cheers,

ian

rossr...@forteinc.com

Sep 16, 2009, 11:39:57 PM9/16/09
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 00:31:24 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

On a roast turkey at Thanksgiving or Christmas, the wings are my
favourite part. So, a few years ago I bought a bunch of turkey wings
on special for $0.99/lb. and tried roasting them. They Sucked!
Cilantro, I'm starting to tolerate just a bit.

Ross.

Stormmee

Sep 17, 2009, 8:11:02 AM9/17/09
this sounds excellent, Lee

"i...@notcox.net" <ia...@notcox.net> wrote in message

blake murphy

Sep 17, 2009, 2:11:07 PM9/17/09

good point. and you have some of the fat cooked out of the skin absorbed
into the meat.

your pal,
blake

Omelet

Sep 17, 2009, 2:16:02 PM9/17/09
In article <nab3b5pbkr3pql51k...@4ax.com>,
rossr...@forteinc.com wrote:

I generally Braise or BBQ them. They do best for BBQ if you marinate
them first.

Treat them like chicken breasts.