Verdict: the beet

Nancy Young

Jan 15, 2003, 2:04:03 PM1/15/03

I find myself officially able to live without beets. You all can
have my share. Harry has never led me astray, why did I go against
his advice this time?

nancy (forgive me, Harry?)

scott

Jan 15, 2003, 2:11:07 PM1/15/03
"Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

My mom makes pickled beets for my dad & me - she won't eat them, but she
still cans them.

Nancy Young

Jan 15, 2003, 2:15:26 PM1/15/03

I plan on canning the rest of these, too. Different can than your
mother uses, I take it.

nancy

scott

Jan 15, 2003, 4:12:12 PM1/15/03

Nancy Young wrote:
> I plan on canning the rest of these, too. Different can than your
> mother uses, I take it.

Yep, probably. I never did undestand why they call it "canning" when you
use a jar. Does that mean that vegetables that come in cans are "Jarred"?
:-)

Nancy Young

Jan 15, 2003, 4:37:45 PM1/15/03

Except that my can starts with a g and ends with arbage.

(smile) nancy

Curly Sue

Jan 15, 2003, 4:41:17 PM1/15/03

I don't (and never did) get it (other than it's an "in" joke of
sorts). What's the problem with beets? They are delicious and
gorgeous too.

Sue(tm)

sue at interport dot net

Nancy Young

Jan 15, 2003, 4:50:44 PM1/15/03
Curly Sue wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:04:03 -0500, Nancy Young
> <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:
>

> >I find myself officially able to live without beets. You all can
> >have my share. Harry has never led me astray, why did I go against
> >his advice this time?
> >
> >nancy (forgive me, Harry?)
>
> I don't (and never did) get it (other than it's an "in" joke of
> sorts). What's the problem with beets? They are delicious and
> gorgeous too.

Want me to mail you mine? Missed the post office today, I could
send them out tomorrow.

I thought I would try them as I have only had them from a can, so
I didn't think it was fair to disparage them. Well, I have officially
roasted fresh beets, and judged that I think I might even like the
canned better, and I don't like them.

Beet free in 2003.

nancy

Dave Smith

Jan 15, 2003, 5:21:46 PM1/15/03
Nancy Young wrote:

> I find myself officially able to live without beets. You all can
> have my share. Harry has never led me astray, why did I go against
> his advice this time?

I don't mind beets. My wife hates them. I don't understand why. She
likes just about every other vegetable. When people serve me beets I
eat them and really don't mind them. I am not inspired to bother
cooking them. A local restaurant serves a delicious Boorst, which I
occasionally have a bowl of.

Thierry Gerbault

Jan 15, 2003, 5:35:02 PM1/15/03
Nancy Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in news:3E25D7B4.FA06C388
@mail.monmouth.com:

Nancy, did you ever try them pickled? They have quite a different taste.
There is also a very good chocolate cake that has pureed beets in it.
People never seem to know that it contains beets, but it really keeps the
cake moist.

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- You can't have everything, where would you keep it?

hahabogus

Jan 15, 2003, 5:41:29 PM1/15/03
Nancy Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in

Et Tu? Nancy...

--

Defender of the Beet.

Craig L.

Jan 15, 2003, 6:28:11 PM1/15/03

"Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

I have kept quite on this subject up to now, however It's time to speak out.

"I'm a Beetaholic and proud of it"

Its been 5 days since my last beet.

--
Craig L.
"Winning isn't everything. Winning and gloating and

limey

Jan 15, 2003, 6:58:43 PM1/15/03

"Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

Beets while boiling smell horrible. Plain beets
taste even worse. But now - beets pickled in vinegar? That's a
whole different category.

Dora

Christine Dabney

Jan 15, 2003, 7:29:34 PM1/15/03
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:58:43 -0500, "limey" <li...@toadstop.net> wrote:

>Beets while boiling smell horrible. Plain beets
>taste even worse. But now - beets pickled in vinegar? That's a
>whole different category.
>
>Dora

Roasting beets smell wonderful...:)

Christine

Curly Sue

Jan 15, 2003, 7:36:08 PM1/15/03
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:50:44 -0500, Nancy Young
<qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

I'd be glad to take them off your hands ;>

I love them but don't cook them as often as I'd like. I've never had
them roasted; I usually pressure cook them.

Alan Zelt

Jan 15, 2003, 8:36:30 PM1/15/03

Hey, another convert!!!!!!
--
Alan

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/

http://www.nion.us/

Elaine Goldberg

Jan 15, 2003, 9:50:38 PM1/15/03

Thierry wrote:

>Nancy, did you ever try them pickled?
> They have quite a different taste. There
> is also a very good chocolate cake that
> has pureed beets in it. People never
> seem to know that it contains beets, but
> it really keeps the cake moist.

I'd be interested in your cake recipe, if you'd care to share it. I
make a wonderful chocolate cake that has a can of rinsed and drained
sauerkraut in it.

I belong to a dessert club that meets once a month. As there are young
kids in attendance, I often like to surprise them by bringing something
a bit odd. They're good sports, and always try what I bring, before I
reveal the mystery ingredients.

I once took a red gelatin salad to a Valentine potluck supper. It
looked like a raspberry mousse, and I'm sure everyone's mouth was all
set for that flavour. They were totally surprised to discover it
contained jars of baby (pureed) beets, sour cream and onion! I thought
it was delicious!

Elaine

Sheryl Rosen

Jan 15, 2003, 11:22:03 PM1/15/03
in article 3e25d4b...@news-server.nyc.rr.com, Curly Sue at
s...@addressin.sig wrote on 1/15/03 4:41 PM:

I like beets, too, Sue.
There was a time when I refused to eat them. I recall liking them when I was
young, then going through a phase when I didn't....but then I tried them
again a few years later, and decided I like them. They are nice on a salad,
especially, cold, right from the can. I like the "cut beets", rather than
the "sliced" beets. i prefer the chunks for salad. In summertime, I often
bring a big salad for lunch at work, which consists mostly of thawed frozen
veggies....corn, peas, whole thin green beans, broccoli...stuff like that.
All that goes on a bed of greens, with sliced cucumbers, maybe some grape
tomatoes, if they aren't too expensive, and some beets from the can. Oh, and
olives. Olives, by the way, are another thing I ate as a child, didn't as a
young adult, but began liking again in my late 20's. But as a kid, I liked
the black california olives (basic canned olives). Now? I've graduated! Give
me calamata, oil cured black olives, Green Nicoise, piccolino, etc. I
REALLY liked that mixture of olives that Margaret brought from Zabar's to
Jack Schidt's Cook In last August! I buy a similar mixture at Trader Joes,
called "Mingling Olives".

I also love how beets look next to oil cured black olives in my salad.
SOOO pretty! Especially next to the bright green beans and peas and the deep
yellow corn. I also buy a lot of my frozen veggies at Trader Joes. I call
this lunch my "trader joes salad", because their frozen sweet corn is such a
deep yellow and very delicious.

I would like to try roasted beets. Hmmm...maybe I'll run over to the market
in the Puerto Rican neighborhood across town. Their produce is nicer than at
the mainstream grocery store and the prices are MUCH lower! It's actually
RIPE!!! Only thing is, you have to use it soon after buying it. because it's
ripe, it doesn't have a long shelf life. That's ok, at least the fruits and
vegetables TASTE like they should, because they are ripe.

Nancy Young

Jan 15, 2003, 11:40:44 PM1/15/03
Alan Zelt wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> > I find myself officially able to live without beets. You all can
> > have my share. Harry has never led me astray, why did I go against
> > his advice this time?
> >
> > nancy (forgive me, Harry?)
>
> Hey, another convert!!!!!!

I was on the fence, ready to go to the dark side. That was too close.

nancy

Nancy Young

Jan 15, 2003, 11:41:18 PM1/15/03

Oh, ha, you know I wouldn't hurt you for anything ... sorry.

nancy

Thierry Gerbault

Jan 16, 2003, 12:14:44 AM1/16/03
s...@addressin.sig (Curly Sue) wrote in news:3e25fd9a.10982908@news-
server.nyc.rr.com:

Sue, to me the difference in roasting beets and all other cooking methods
is night and day. The color, flavor, and natural sweetness of the beets
are far more concentrated when roasted. Try it...as with other cooking
methods, leave the root end undisturbed and leave at least 2-3 inches of
stem intact. Wash lightly, arrange in large covered casserole in single
layer. Add about 1/4 cup water, covered, and roast at 350 degrees F. for
45-60 minutes, or until a sharp knife can easily pierce the beets. Cool
until they can be handled. Then trim both the root and stems ends, slip
the skins, quarter or slice, and reheat with butter before serving.

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- I wrote a few children's books, but not on purpose.

Thierry Gerbault

Jan 16, 2003, 12:59:09 AM1/16/03
ElaineF...@webtv.net (Elaine Goldberg) wrote in news:18263-3E261DFE-
1...@storefull-2113.public.lawson.webtv.net:

> I'd be interested in your cake recipe, if you'd care to share it. I
> make a wonderful chocolate cake that has a can of rinsed and drained
> sauerkraut in it.
>
> I belong to a dessert club that meets once a month. As there are young
> kids in attendance, I often like to surprise them by bringing something
> a bit odd. They're good sports, and always try what I bring, before I
> reveal the mystery ingredients.
>
> I once took a red gelatin salad to a Valentine potluck supper. It
> looked like a raspberry mousse, and I'm sure everyone's mouth was all
> set for that flavour. They were totally surprised to discover it
> contained jars of baby (pureed) beets, sour cream and onion! I thought
> it was delicious!
>
> Elaine

Happy to oblige... I haven't provided a frosting recipe, but I
particularly like a cream cheese frosting on this cake...

Chocolate Beet Cake

1 can (15 oz.) whole beets, drained (save juice)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup oil
1/2 cup juice from beets
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened chocolate, melted

Sift together salt, baking soda, and flour. Set aside. Place beets in
blender jar and puree. Add sugar, oil, and beet juice to beets and blend.
Add eggs and vanilla. Blend well. Pour the beet mixture into a mixing
bowl and add the dry ingredients. Mix well on medium speed for
approximately one minute. Stir in melted chocolate. Pour batter into two
greased and floured 8- or 9-inch round cake pans. (This can also be baked
in 1 9 x 13 inch sheet pan.) Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or
until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool. Frost with your
favorite frosting.

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- An armed society.....is a POLITE society!

Alan Zelt

Jan 16, 2003, 1:38:15 AM1/16/03

Well, if you ask nicely, maybe our resident member in the Twin Cities
might find you a special tee-shirt that we all wear.

Oh, and when hosting any future cookins, we all like to keep our eyes on
the evil beet eaters by making out their name tags in red.

Christine Dabney

Jan 16, 2003, 3:56:12 AM1/16/03
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 06:38:15 GMT, Alan Zelt <alz...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Oh, and when hosting any future cookins, we all like to keep our eyes on
>the evil beet eaters by making out their name tags in red.

That's okay..my favorite color is red..:)

Christine

Rodney Myrvaagnes

Jan 16, 2003, 8:16:47 AM1/16/03

Sometimes when I am home alone at lunch time, I will chop an onion and
sweat it while I peel and dice a beet. When th eonion is wilted put
the beet in with a jalapeno split in two and seeded. Cover and let
simmer til the beet is done.

The jalapeno plays against the sweetness of the beet.

I am not vegetarian so I will vary this with a slice of nice smoked
bacon from the greenmarket, cut up and rendered before the onion goes
in.

I can see a beet would be tiresome if you ate it frequently, but once
in a while I like it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

MOM CASTS TOT IN CEMENT

Most experts voice cautious optimism

aintli...@yup.com

Jan 16, 2003, 8:52:06 AM1/16/03
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:28:11 GMT, "Craig L."
<notr...@notbigpond.net.au> wrote:

>"Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I find myself officially able to live without beets. You all can
>> have my share. Harry has never led me astray, why did I go against
>> his advice this time?
>>
>> nancy (forgive me, Harry?)
>
>I have kept quite on this subject up to now, however It's time to speak out.
>
>"I'm a Beetaholic and proud of it"
>
>Its been 5 days since my last beet.

I had beets last night. I have to admit I love canned beets. I eat
them right out of the can (or in a bowl). After our order from Publix
Direct (a fantastic invention, ordering groceries on the Internet to be
delivered the next day) every week, my husband always says, "Don't we
have enough beets already?" Never enough beets. :-)
Canned beets are one of the veggies my teen will eat willingly. I guess
like mother, like daughter. :-)

ttfn,
jan (who just started posting to rec.food.cooking again after a long
hiatus)

Melba's Jammin'

Jan 16, 2003, 9:42:46 AM1/16/03
In article <3E26545F...@worldnet.att.net>, Alan Zelt
<alz...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> > Alan Zelt wrote:

> > > Hey, another convert!!!!!!
> >
> > I was on the fence, ready to go to the dark side. That was too close.
> >
> > nancy
>
> Well, if you ask nicely, maybe our resident member in the Twin Cities
> might find you a special tee-shirt that we all wear.

It was a limited edition -- none left.
--
-Barb -- Order YOUR copy of the R.F.C. Cook.book at
<http://www.whatchadoin.com/Cookbook2002/index.html>

Melba's Jammin'

Jan 16, 2003, 9:43:42 AM1/16/03
In article <3E25B0A3...@mail.monmouth.com>, Nancy Young
<qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

> I find myself officially able to live without beets. You all can
> have my share. Harry has never led me astray, why did I go against
> his advice this time?
>
> nancy (forgive me, Harry?)

You just figured it out? I've known for years!!

Melba's Jammin'

Jan 16, 2003, 9:44:49 AM1/16/03
In article <f8mV9.16339$UB4....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Craig
L." <notr...@notbigpond.net.au> wrote:

> I have kept quite on this subject up to now, however It's time to speak
> out.
>
> "I'm a Beetaholic and proud of it"
>
> Its been 5 days since my last beet.
> --
> Craig L.

About 50 years since my last beet. I'll pray for you.

Kate Connally

Jan 16, 2003, 11:26:44 AM1/16/03

Tee hee hee! The only good beet is one in
a garbage can.
Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Jeff Bienstadt

Jan 16, 2003, 1:41:45 PM1/16/03
Nancy Young wrote:

You're safe now. And we don't have to organize an intervention.

---jkb

--
"You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society"
-- Moe Szyslak

limey

Jan 16, 2003, 3:15:46 PM1/16/03

"Thierry Gerbault" <> wrote in message >

(snipped)

> Sue, to me the difference in roasting beets and all other cooking
methods
> is night and day. The color, flavor, and natural sweetness of the
beets
> are far more concentrated when roasted. Try it...as with other
cooking
> methods, leave the root end undisturbed and leave at least 2-3
inches of
> stem intact. Wash lightly, arrange in large covered casserole in
single
> layer. Add about 1/4 cup water, covered, and roast at 350 degrees
F. for
> 45-60 minutes, or until a sharp knife can easily pierce the beets.
Cool
> until they can be handled. Then trim both the root and stems ends,
slip
> the skins, quarter or slice, and reheat with butter before serving.
>
> --
> Regards, Thierry...

Thanks, Thierry - I think I'll try this. I've not heard of roasted
beets before.

Dora

Nancy Young

Jan 16, 2003, 3:59:46 PM1/16/03
Jeff Bienstadt wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > I was on the fence, ready to go to the dark side. That was too close.

> You're safe now. And we don't have to organize an intervention.

Oh, great, you'd all gather in my kitchen and tell me, one by one,
how my experimentation with beets hurt you. You'd probably then
pack bags for me and send me to a beet detox fascility.

nancy

hahabogus

Jan 16, 2003, 6:42:05 PM1/16/03

> Oh, great, you'd all gather in my kitchen and tell me, one by one,
> how my experimentation with beets hurt you. You'd probably then
> pack bags for me and send me to a beet detox fascility.
>
> nancy

I'd drive you and visit regularly...

Elaine Goldberg

Jan 16, 2003, 7:58:15 PM1/16/03

Thierry wrote:

>Happy to oblige... I haven't provided a
> frosting recipe, but I particularly like a
> cream cheese frosting on this cake...

>Chocolate Beet Cake

<snipped recipe>

Thank you! It sounds very good!

Elaine

Thierry Gerbault

Jan 16, 2003, 9:00:03 PM1/16/03
Jeff Bienstadt <je...@seattlefare.com> wrote in

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Alan Zelt wrote:

>>> Hey, another convert!!!!!!
>>
>> I was on the fence, ready to go to the dark side. That was too close.
>>
>> nancy
>
> You're safe now. And we don't have to organize an intervention.
>
> ---jkb

Don't be so sure...you never know when a beet might sneak up on her!

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- From the Department of Redundancy Department

~Rose~

Jan 16, 2003, 10:08:26 PM1/16/03
>Thierry...@NOSPAM.att.net

> wrote:
>Sue, to me the difference in roasting
>beets and all other cooking methods is
>night and day. The color, flavor, and
>natural sweetness of the beets are far
>more concentrated when roasted. Try
>it..
>snip recipe<
======
Thierry, your recipe for roasted beets sounds really good. I'm going to
try it.
I love pickled beets and creamed beets.

~Rose~

Harry Demidavicius

Jan 16, 2003, 10:35:50 PM1/16/03
<qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

>I find myself officially able to live without beets. You all can
>have my share. Harry has never led me astray, why did I go against
>his advice this time?
>
>nancy (forgive me, Harry?)

Only if you quit with the Mayo over pastrami, nancy. ;0
Harry

Thierry Gerbault

Jan 17, 2003, 12:00:00 AM1/17/03
[posted and mailed]

TX-ch...@webtv.net (~Rose~) wrote in news:10835-3E2773AA-111@storefull-
2332.public.lawson.webtv.net:

Thank you, Rose. If you love pickled beets, perhaps you'd like to try my
great aunt Kate's recipe which dates back to around 1900. Even affirmed
beet haters have said they enjoyed these!

Aunt Kate's Spicy Pickled Beets

Pickling Solution

1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 to 1 cup granulated sugar (to taste)
1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
1/2 teaspoon salt

1-2 small dried hot peppers per jar
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds per jar
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds per jar

Early in the day, combine all ingredients from first group in saucepan
and simmer 15-20 minutes. Set aside until completely cool. Strain
solution to remove all spices and return liquid to saucepan. Discard the
spices.

Prepare Beets

Trim stems leaving at least 3-4 inches of stem on each beet. Do not trim
roots. Rinse beets thoroughly but gently, so as not to bruise the skin.
(Stems and roots are left on the beets during cooking to preserve the
color and prevent bleeding.)

Place beets in a covered casserole dish. Add several tablespoons of
water and bake covered at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, or until beets
can be easily pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. (Do not overcook.)

Drain beets and set aside until cool enough to handle. Trim off stems
and roots and slip off the skins. If beets are large, cut in halves or
quarters.

Add beets to strained pickling solution. Bring to a boil, then reduce
heat and simmer 5-10 minutes.

Add hot peppers, mustard seeds, and celery seeds to each hot sterilized
pint jar.

Pack beets in jars, filling with hot pickling solution to within ¬ inch
of the top. Immediately put on canning lids and rings and tighten.

You may store the beets in the refrigerator at this point, or you may put
the hot jars in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes for shelf storage.

Notes:

Baking the beets intensifies both the flavor and color of the finished
product. Boiling the beets will sometimes result in the beets turning
gray.

The amount of sugar can be adjusted to taste. Using the full cup of
sugar results in an almost "candied" pickle.

Allow beets to stand for at least a week or two before serving in order
for the full flavor to develop.

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- I couldn't help myself. They were so big and round and beautiful, I just
had to touch them! Then she started screaming 'MY EYES!, MY EYES!' and
ruined the mood.

Harry Demidavicius

Jan 17, 2003, 1:49:01 AM1/17/03
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:44:49 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>In article <f8mV9.16339$UB4....@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Craig
>L." <notr...@notbigpond.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> I have kept quite on this subject up to now, however It's time to speak
>> out.
>>
>> "I'm a Beetaholic and proud of it"
>>
>> Its been 5 days since my last beet.
>> --
>> Craig L.
>
>About 50 years since my last beet. I'll pray for you.

These new medical methods are so much more effective these days,
Melba. I understand there's a beet "patch" available now.
Harry

Harry Demidavicius

Jan 17, 2003, 1:51:16 AM1/17/03
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:42:46 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>In article <3E26545F...@worldnet.att.net>, Alan Zelt
><alz...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>> > I was on the fence, ready to go to the dark side. That was too close.
>> >
>> > nancy
>>
>> Well, if you ask nicely, maybe our resident member in the Twin Cities
>> might find you a special tee-shirt that we all wear.
>
>It was a limited edition -- none left.

Yikes ! Does the protection charm wear OFF?

Harry

Anne-Marie Maltby

Jan 17, 2003, 9:56:59 PM1/17/03
"~Rose~" <TX-ch...@webtv.net> wrote in message

This beetroot recipe would convert anyone. It is SOOOO delicious that
everyone wants to know how it's done. From Stephanie Alexander's 'The Cook's
Companion'

2 cups grated raw beetroot
60g unsalted butter (I use salted as I rarely have unsalted)
1 Tbsp water
2 tsp red wine vinegar
salt and pepper

Place all ingredientsexcept S & P in a small saucepan and cook, covered,
for 8 minutes, stirring once or twice. Uncover and check beetroot is just
tender. Raise heat and boil off any extra liquid, if necessary, and season.
The beetroot should still be a little crisp and look shiny from the butter.

Scatter over a tsp of drained, deep-fried capers as an unusual and delicious
garnish. The tiny bud open like miniature flower.

AM

Thierry Gerbault

Jan 18, 2003, 12:16:05 AM1/18/03
"Anne-Marie Maltby" <annem...@bigpond.com> wrote in

I've got to try this one! It sounds delicious.

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- 'Bother', said Pooh, as he was butchered for his paws & liver.

Victor Sack

Jan 18, 2003, 12:35:10 AM1/18/03
Harry Demidavicius <har...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> These new medical methods are so much more effective these days,
> Melba. I understand there's a beet "patch" available now.

How many are you wearing, Harry?

Gran
--
Due to the tremendous popular demand, we are offering a second printing
of the rfc Cook.Book until 31st January, 2003. You will find all the

~Rose~

Jan 18, 2003, 5:38:25 PM1/18/03
>Thierry...@NOSPAM.att.net
>wrote:

>[posted and mailed]
>TX-ch...@webtv.net (~Rose~)
>wrote in
>2332.public.lawson.webtv.net:

>Thierry, your recipe for roasted beets
>sounds really good. I'm going to try it.
>I love pickled beets and creamed beets.
>~Rose~
>Thank you, Rose. If you love pickled
>beets, perhaps you'd like to try my great
>aunt Kate's recipe which dates back to
>around 1900. Even affirmed beet haters
>have said they enjoyed these!

>snip recipe.<
======
thanks for the pickled beets recipe Thierry. I love trying out the
older recipes. I use a lot of my grandmother's recipes. Still have
some that were handwritten by her. They are very precious to me. I've
rewritten them and put her copies in safe place of course.
They are to be passed along to the future generaton.
~Rose~

Thierry Gerbault

Jan 18, 2003, 9:51:38 PM1/18/03
TX-ch...@webtv.net (~Rose~) wrote in news:28903-3E29D761-647
@storefull-2338.public.lawson.webtv.net:

You're very welcome... I have tried to do the same thing. I inherited
recipes from my great-grandmother, both grandmothers, and my mom. Most
were written in long hand. I scanned the originals to put in a binder
and put the originals away for safe keeping. Most of them I have also
transcribed to my recipe software.

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- Careful. We don't want to learn from this.

Harry Demidavicius

Jan 19, 2003, 12:13:42 AM1/19/03
On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 06:35:10 +0100, sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor
Sack) wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius <har...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> These new medical methods are so much more effective these days,
>> Melba. I understand there's a beet "patch" available now.
>
>How many are you wearing, Harry?
>
>Gran

I'm a Carrier, not an addict Gran.

Typhoid Mary

Victor Sack

Jan 19, 2003, 12:46:49 AM1/19/03
Harry Demidavicius <har...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 06:35:10 +0100, sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor
> Sack) wrote:
>
> >Harry Demidavicius <har...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> These new medical methods are so much more effective these days,
> >> Melba. I understand there's a beet "patch" available now.
> >
> >How many are you wearing, Harry?
>

> I'm a Carrier, not an addict Gran.
>
> Typhoid Mary

You are always carrying and distributing beetroots, Harry? It is very
kind, considerate and charitable of you to promote such a wholesome
vegetable in so selfless a fashion. I'm *so* proud of you! As to you
not being an addict, I, knowing you so well, have my (strong) doubts,
young man!

Christine Dabney

Jan 19, 2003, 5:05:42 AM1/19/03
On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 02:51:38 GMT, Thierry Gerbault
<Thierry...@NOSPAM.att.net> wrote:

>TX-ch...@webtv.net (~Rose~) wrote in news:28903-3E29D761-647
>@storefull-2338.public.lawson.webtv.net:

>> ======
>> thanks for the pickled beets recipe Thierry. I love trying out the
>> older recipes. I use a lot of my grandmother's recipes. Still have
>> some that were handwritten by her. They are very precious to me. I've
>> rewritten them and put her copies in safe place of course.
>> They are to be passed along to the future generaton.
>> ~Rose~
>>

>You're very welcome... I have tried to do the same thing. I inherited
>recipes from my great-grandmother, both grandmothers, and my mom. Most
>were written in long hand. I scanned the originals to put in a binder
>and put the originals away for safe keeping. Most of them I have also
>transcribed to my recipe software.

You guys are not the only ones trying to preserve such recipes. Seems that
Marion Cunningham has the same idea..:) She has a new cookbook coming out
later this year, that tries to preserve some of America's old recipes. To be
called Lost Recipes, at least from the description of it in this article.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/01/15/FD31288.DTL

I too am trying preserve my family recipes. Two of the recipes that I put into
the rfc cookbook are hand me down recipes. If we ever have another cookbook, I
will contribute my grandmother's fruitcake, which has been handed down to my
mother, and then to me. However, I am the last person in the family that now
makes this cake, so unless it goes out to the world, it will be lost....

Christine

Jean B.

Jan 19, 2003, 9:31:09 AM1/19/03

That might be a nice theme for some future cookbook.

Jean B.
--
Jean B., 12 miles west of Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Thierry Gerbault

Jan 19, 2003, 10:49:23 PM1/19/03
"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in news:3E2AB6A...@rcn.com:

Yes, perhaps "Heirloom Recipes - From the Families of R.F.C." I think
it's a great idea!

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- Russian Express Card motto: Don't leave home!

Harry Demidavicius

Jan 19, 2003, 11:49:53 PM1/19/03
On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 06:46:49 +0100, sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor
Sack) wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius <har...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 06:35:10 +0100, sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor
>> Sack) wrote:

>> >How many are you wearing, Harry?
>>
>> I'm a Carrier, not an addict Gran.
>>
>> Typhoid Mary
>
>You are always carrying and distributing beetroots, Harry? It is very
>kind, considerate and charitable of you to promote such a wholesome
>vegetable in so selfless a fashion. I'm *so* proud of you! As to you
>not being an addict, I, knowing you so well, have my (strong) doubts,
>young man!
>
>Gran

Errm, that would be *beet root patches*, Gran? However, it is just
as easy to become beet addicted as tobacco addicted while using the
"patch". If you wear the patch & use the product at the same time -
you are now seriously addicted.

Perhaps the way to get off beets is to wean off them, [one bite of
beet - three shots of vodka]. I see great franchising opportunities
here. [Wanna quit - well help. Wanna start - that costs more ....]

YH&OGS

Curly Sue

Jan 20, 2003, 12:04:48 AM1/20/03
Sack) wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius <har...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 06:35:10 +0100, sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor
>> Sack) wrote:

>> >How many are you wearing, Harry?
>>
>> I'm a Carrier, not an addict Gran.
>>
>> Typhoid Mary
>
>You are always carrying and distributing beetroots, Harry? It is very
>kind, considerate and charitable of you to promote such a wholesome
>vegetable in so selfless a fashion. I'm *so* proud of you! As to you
>not being an addict, I, knowing you so well, have my (strong) doubts,
>young man!

You may (or may not) have heard of Johnny Appleseed? Meet Harry
Beetroot.

http://www.applejuice.org/johnnyappleseed.html

Notice the similarities between the two men-
1. sociability and devotion to cooking
"Johnny was a friend to everyone he met. Indians and settlers -- even
the animals -- liked Johnny Appleseed. His clothes were made from
sacks and his hat was a tin pot. He also used his hat for cooking."

2. Hanging out with a tough crowd
"It is said that once Johnny fell asleep and a rattlesnake tried to
bite him, but the fangs would not go into his foot because his skin
was as tough as an elephant’s hide. Another tale describes him playing
with a bear family." Sounds like being on RFC.

Sue(tm)

sue at interport dot net

Thierry Gerbault

Jan 20, 2003, 2:31:17 AM1/20/03
Christine Dabney <arti...@attbi.com> wrote in

> On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 02:51:38 GMT, Thierry Gerbault
> <Thierry...@NOSPAM.att.net> wrote:
>
>>TX-ch...@webtv.net (~Rose~) wrote in news:28903-3E29D761-647
>>@storefull-2338.public.lawson.webtv.net:
>

>>> ======
>>> thanks for the pickled beets recipe Thierry. I love trying out the
>>> older recipes. I use a lot of my grandmother's recipes. Still have
>>> some that were handwritten by her. They are very precious to me.
>>> I've rewritten them and put her copies in safe place of course.
>>> They are to be passed along to the future generaton.
>>> ~Rose~
>>>

>>You're very welcome... I have tried to do the same thing. I
>>inherited recipes from my great-grandmother, both grandmothers, and my
>>mom. Most were written in long hand. I scanned the originals to put
>>in a binder and put the originals away for safe keeping. Most of them
>>I have also transcribed to my recipe software.
>
> You guys are not the only ones trying to preserve such recipes. Seems
> that Marion Cunningham has the same idea..:) She has a new cookbook
> coming out later this year, that tries to preserve some of America's
> old recipes. To be called Lost Recipes, at least from the
> description of it in this article.
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/01/
> 15/FD31288.DTL

I'm glad to know about marion Cunningham's new effort. I have several of
her books and enjoy using all of them. The new one will be on my want
list.

> I too am trying preserve my family recipes. Two of the recipes that
> I put into the rfc cookbook are hand me down recipes. If we ever have
> another cookbook, I will contribute my grandmother's fruitcake, which
> has been handed down to my mother, and then to me. However, I am
> the last person in the family that now makes this cake, so unless it
> goes out to the world, it will be lost....
>
> Christine

I'm the only remaining baker of my grandmother's fruitcake, too. It's a
pity that no one else in the family has any interest. I've given the
recipe to other friends, but I'll probably the the last in the family to
ever bake it.

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- Help stamp out, eliminate and abolish redundancy!

Rhonda Anderson

Jan 20, 2003, 5:52:03 AM1/20/03
Thierry Gerbault <Thierry...@NOSPAM.att.net> wrote in

> I'm the only remaining baker of my grandmother's fruitcake, too. It's
> a pity that no one else in the family has any interest. I've given
> the recipe to other friends, but I'll probably the the last in the
> family to ever bake it.

OK - I'll take the fruitcake recipe and I promise I'll bake it! While it's
never gonna rival chocolate cake, I think fruitcake is a tad more popular
over here than it seems to be in the US. If I bake a fruitcake and take it
into work, people will eat it. So, I'd be glad to perpetuate your
grandmother's fruitcake recipe since I have no idea what recipe my
grandmother used. It might only get made once or twice a year (Christmas
definitely), but it will get made!

That's if you trust me the recipe of course. Do I need to go through a
screening process before I can adopt it <g>.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Penrith, NSW, Australia

Christine Dabney

Jan 20, 2003, 6:22:06 AM1/20/03
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:52:03 GMT, Rhonda Anderson
<schuma...@bigpond.com> wrote:

>OK - I'll take the fruitcake recipe and I promise I'll bake it! While it's
>never gonna rival chocolate cake, I think fruitcake is a tad more popular
>over here than it seems to be in the US. If I bake a fruitcake and take it
>into work, people will eat it. So, I'd be glad to perpetuate your
>grandmother's fruitcake recipe since I have no idea what recipe my
>grandmother used. It might only get made once or twice a year (Christmas
>definitely), but it will get made!
>
>That's if you trust me the recipe of course. Do I need to go through a
>screening process before I can adopt it <g>.

Okay, you can have mine..;)

* Exported from MasterCook *

California Fruit Cake

Recipe By :Grandmother
Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups dried sliced apricots -- boil 1 minute in
1 thin syrup:1/2 cup sugar to 1 cup water:
cool and dry
1 cup dried figs -- cut small
2 cups white raisins
1 1/3 cups dark raisins
2/3 cup dried cherries or maraschino cherries -- cut
small. Marinate
dried cherries in Kirsch .
2/3 cup orange peel -- cut small
2/3 cup lemon peel -- cut small
2/3 cup citron -- cut small
2 cups broken nut meats -- preferably pecans
(1 to 2)
24 cubes pineapple -- cut in 1/4's and
drained well
4 1/2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons corn syrup
5 eggs -- well beaten
1 1/3 cups fruit juices -- use syrup from
apricots, plus pineapple juice, plus
whatever juices you have

Dust fruit mixture with some of the flour and set aside covered until
ready to add to batter. It is even better if the fruit is left
overnight like this. Mix remaining flour and dry ingredients (minus
the sugar) and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar well.
Add the corn syrup and beat well, then mix in well beaten eggs. Add
the flour mixture alternately with the mixed fruit juices,
beating well between each addition. Then add fruits, mixing well past
each addition. Pour into prepared pans. * Bake at 325
degrees for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 275 degrees. If you have
used 2 tube pans, continue baking for another 2 hours. If
you have used 1 large angel food pan, bake for 5 hours longer. When
done, cool completely in the pans. Remove cakes from
the pans when cool, but leave paper on the cakes until ready to serve.
Wrap and store.
* Use two 9"by 3" tube pans or one large angel food cake pan. Line
sides with greased brown paper: I use brown paper bags.
Fill pans 1/2 to 2/3 full .

Source:
"mother"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 578 Calories; 13g Fat (19.1%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 118g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber;
72mg Cholesterol; 324mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 5 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : This recipe came down from my grandmother through my mother.
I have changed a few things from the original. The original called
for maraschino cherries but since dried cherries have become so widely
available, I have begun using those. I marinate them in Kirsch for
several hours.

Christine Dabney

Jan 20, 2003, 6:28:04 AM1/20/03
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 03:22:06 -0800, Christine Dabney
<arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> California Fruit Cake

>NOTES : This recipe came down from my grandmother through my mother.
>I have changed a few things from the original. The original called
>for maraschino cherries but since dried cherries have become so widely
>available, I have begun using those. I marinate them in Kirsch for
>several hours.

I forgot to add more of my notes...

I have contemplated adding dried plums or adding another dried
fruit..like dried nectarines. The apricots add a lovely tartness to
it...that redeems it from being totally sweet. I think another tart
dried fruit would do well too.

I have also contemplated using dried pineapple for the canned
pineapple chunks. Haven't done it yet, but if someone wants to try it
before I make this next, I would be interested in seeing what happens.

The juices I tend to add now, are fruit nectars. Like apricot nectar,
peach nectar..something like that.

If you want to soak this fruitcake afterwards, I would not go for a
heavy spirit. Something lighter would seem more appropriate, like
sherry. This is NOT a dark fruitcake, and as such, seems to call
out for lighter flavors.

Christine

Rhonda Anderson

Jan 20, 2003, 7:52:41 AM1/20/03
Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:52:03 GMT, Rhonda Anderson
> <schuma...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>

>>OK - I'll take the fruitcake recipe and I promise I'll bake it! While
>>it's never gonna rival chocolate cake, I think fruitcake is a tad more
>>popular over here than it seems to be in the US. If I bake a fruitcake
>>and take it into work, people will eat it. So, I'd be glad to
>>perpetuate your grandmother's fruitcake recipe since I have no idea
>>what recipe my grandmother used. It might only get made once or twice
>>a year (Christmas definitely), but it will get made!
>>
>>That's if you trust me the recipe of course. Do I need to go through a
>>screening process before I can adopt it <g>.
>
> Okay, you can have mine..;)

<snipped recipe that sounds wonderful>

Thank you very much. I'm currently on holidays from work for 4 weeks (today
was first day of my holidays) and while we have a lot of work to do on the
house, I"m hoping to get some cooking done. So, I might give this a try.

I don't think I've ever seen dried cherries here - they're probably
available but not in the supermarket, perhaps. I'd have to look around for
maraschino. I might try the deli in Penrith, they've probably got
maraschino. Glace cherries I can get easily - that's what's usually called
for in fruitcake recipes here.

White raisins - not sure on these. I only know one sort of raisin and
they're dark. I know in the US you call sultanas golden raisins - are white
raisins the same thing, or are they something else?

Citron - will have to try the deli.

Corn syrup - not really used here. I can get it at the health food shop,
though. I actually think I have some in the pantry - I bought a bottle last
year some time to make a recipe I found on the internet (can't remember
what it was) and I haven't had any call for it since. So unless I tossed it
when clearing everything out for the kitchen refit, I'll still have it.

Now - the cake tins. I did a bit of a search and it seems, as I suspected,
that a tube pan is like what we would call a ring tin. I don't have one of
these (now I have an excuse to buy one!). How deep are the sides on the
tube pans so I can compare to the ring tins I can get. Never seen an angel
food cake tin, but then I've never seen an angel food cake (in real life,
anyway) so that's hardly unusual. Sponge cakes aplenty, no angel food.

Don't think I should have any problem with the rest.

Rhonda Anderson

Jan 20, 2003, 7:53:40 AM1/20/03

> I have also contemplated using dried pineapple for the canned
> pineapple chunks. Haven't done it yet, but if someone wants to try it
> before I make this next, I would be interested in seeing what happens.

I might try that and report back. Mind you, I won't have made it with the
canned, so won't be able to compare.

Christine Dabney

Jan 20, 2003, 8:15:21 AM1/20/03
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:52:41 GMT, Rhonda Anderson <schuma...@bigpond.com>
wrote:

>I don't think I've ever seen dried cherries here - they're probably
>available but not in the supermarket, perhaps. I'd have to look around for
>maraschino. I might try the deli in Penrith, they've probably got
>maraschino. Glace cherries I can get easily - that's what's usually called
>for in fruitcake recipes here.

I wouldn't use the glace cherries at all. They don't have enough flavor for
this fruitcake. The cherries I have been using are dried tart cherries. They
should be available somewhere...
If you cannot get those, use the maraschino cherries. That is what the
fruitcake started out with..and I only changed to the dried cherries when they
became widely available.
I personally like the bit of tartness all these fruits add. This is NOT your
typical fruitcake. Most fruitcake haters love this one: it is almost like a
sweet tea bread.

>White raisins - not sure on these. I only know one sort of raisin and
>they're dark. I know in the US you call sultanas golden raisins - are white
>raisins the same thing, or are they something else?

Yes, golden raisins, or sultanas

>Now - the cake tins. I did a bit of a search and it seems, as I suspected,
>that a tube pan is like what we would call a ring tin. I don't have one of
>these (now I have an excuse to buy one!). How deep are the sides on the
>tube pans so I can compare to the ring tins I can get. Never seen an angel
>food cake tin, but then I've never seen an angel food cake (in real life,
>anyway) so that's hardly unusual. Sponge cakes aplenty, no angel food.

Hmm..at least 5-6 inches deep.
I suppose you could make this in any type of pan, but the cooking times would
have to be adjusted. I had contemplated trying to make this in loaf pans, but I
am not sure how long it would take to bake. It needs a sufficient amount of
time, because of all the fruit. But go with what you have, or can get.

If you make it..let me know how it turns out. And don't hesitate to ask me for
any details I might have forgotten to add. I have been making this for a good
part of my life, and some things are just so engrained. I tried to remember all
the steps, etc, like the dusting of the fruit with flour.

Christine

Christine Dabney

Jan 20, 2003, 8:17:03 AM1/20/03
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:53:40 GMT, Rhonda Anderson <schuma...@bigpond.com>
wrote:

>Christine Dabney <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in

I am thinking, that if you use dried pineapple, it might need some soaking
first. Maybe in some sort of liqueur/brandy? Or even something like orange
juice, or one of the fruit juices/nectars.

Christine

Rhonda Anderson

Jan 20, 2003, 9:02:45 AM1/20/03

> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:52:41 GMT, Rhonda Anderson
> <schuma...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>

>>I don't think I've ever seen dried cherries here - they're probably
>>available but not in the supermarket, perhaps. I'd have to look around
>>for maraschino. I might try the deli in Penrith, they've probably got
>>maraschino. Glace cherries I can get easily - that's what's usually
>>called for in fruitcake recipes here.
>
> I wouldn't use the glace cherries at all. They don't have enough
> flavor for this fruitcake. The cherries I have been using are dried
> tart cherries. They should be available somewhere...

Possibly, but may be hard to get. They're just not something you see being
used a lot, or in recipes. Ingredients that are commonly used in the US may
just not be used here. The popularity of things differs. For example, grape
flavoured things seem popular in the US - grape flavoured soft drinks.
Grape juice is popular. Here - I don't know if I've even seen grape juice
for sale. Certainly was never served in my home growing up. You won't see
grape flavoured soft drink either - passionfruit, pineapple, raspberry - no
grape.

> If you cannot get those, use the maraschino cherries. That is what
> the fruitcake started out with..and I only changed to the dried
> cherries when they became widely available.

That's what I thought I'd do. Just will have to look for them, but I think
they'll probably be easier to get than the dried. I will try the health
food store to see if they have the dried cherries - most likely place of
any in Penrith to have them.

> If you make it..let me know how it turns out. And don't hesitate to
> ask me for any details I might have forgotten to add. I have been
> making this for a good part of my life, and some things are just so
> engrained. I tried to remember all the steps, etc, like the dusting of
> the fruit with flour.

Will do. Thanks again for the recipe and info.

Quasinerd

Jan 20, 2003, 10:01:17 AM1/20/03
> > I too am trying preserve my family recipes. If we ever have

> > another cookbook, I will contribute my grandmother's fruitcake, which
> > has been handed down to my mother, and then to me. However, I am
> > the last person in the family that now makes this cake, so unless it
> > goes out to the world, it will be lost....
>
> I'm the only remaining baker of my grandmother's fruitcake, too.

So, post them here! I love fruitcake

Quasinerd

Jan 20, 2003, 10:05:24 AM1/20/03

Sounds wonderful, all my favorite fruits and no dates
(I don't like dates.) This sounds like what I've been
looking for! Thanks for posting it.

Quasinerd

Jan 20, 2003, 10:07:43 AM1/20/03

> >>inherited recipes from my great-grandmother, both grandmothers,
> >

> > I too am trying preserve my family recipes.
>

> I'm the only remaining baker of my grandmother's fruitcake, too.

So, you are the committee for the next rfc cookbook,
"Our Grandmother's recipes"? :-)

Jean B.

Jan 20, 2003, 9:20:53 PM1/20/03
Hehe. In the discussion of heirloom recipes, fruitcake came to MY
mind too. I already contributed two family favorites, made by my
grandmother, to the old one.

Christine Dabney

Jan 20, 2003, 9:37:11 PM1/20/03

I did post it.

Christine

Harry Demidavicius

Jan 20, 2003, 11:33:40 PM1/20/03

Sniff! That was so nice . . . . .

Harry

Quasinerd

Jan 21, 2003, 12:41:08 AM1/21/03

> >So, post them here! I love fruitcake

> I did post it.
>
> Christine

Yes, thanks, looks wonderful. I saw your recipe after
responding to an earlier post.

Victor Sack

Jan 21, 2003, 1:42:02 AM1/21/03
Curly Sue <s...@addressin.sig> wrote:

It's my (our) Harry, alright!

Victor

Quasinerd

Jan 21, 2003, 11:35:32 AM1/21/03
> > You may (or may not) have heard of Johnny Appleseed? Meet
> > Harry Beetroot.
> >
> > http://www.applejuice.org/johnnyappleseed.html
> >
> > Notice the similarities between the two men-
> > 1. sociability and devotion to cooking
> > "Johnny was a friend to everyone he met. Indians and
> > settlers -- even the animals -- liked Johnny Appleseed.
> > His clothes were made from sacks and his hat was a tin
> > pot. He also used his hat for cooking."
> >
> > 2. Hanging out with a tough crowd
> > "It is said that once Johnny fell asleep and a rattlesnake
> > tried to bite him, but the fangs would not go into his foot
> > because his skin was as tough as an elephant's hide. Another
> > tale describes him playing with a bear family." Sounds like
> > being on RFC.
>
> It's my (our) Harry, alright!

I grew up on stories of Johnny Appleseed who traveled
the wilderness planting apple trees, and the settlers
greeted him warmly because they'd have apples to eat
again. Which somehow never totally made sense to me,
why would settlers care so much about apples?

A year or so ago I read that the reason settlers were
excited about getting apple trees was so they could use
the apples to make hard cider.

How come the teachers didn't tell us that in school?

Quasi

Thierry Gerbault

Jan 23, 2003, 1:31:29 AM1/23/03
"Anne-Marie Maltby" <annem...@bigpond.com> wrote in

> "~Rose~" <TX-ch...@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> >Thierry...@NOSPAM.att.net
>> > wrote:
>> >Sue, to me the difference in roasting
>> >beets and all other cooking methods is
>> >night and day. The color, flavor, and
>> >natural sweetness of the beets are far
>> >more concentrated when roasted. Try
>> >it..
>> >snip recipe<
>> ======
>> Thierry, your recipe for roasted beets sounds really good. I'm going
>> to try it.
>> I love pickled beets and creamed beets.
>
> This beetroot recipe would convert anyone. It is SOOOO delicious that
> everyone wants to know how it's done. From Stephanie Alexander's 'The
> Cook's Companion'
>
> 2 cups grated raw beetroot
> 60g unsalted butter (I use salted as I rarely have unsalted)
> 1 Tbsp water
> 2 tsp red wine vinegar
> salt and pepper
>
> Place all ingredientsexcept S & P in a small saucepan and cook,
> covered, for 8 minutes, stirring once or twice. Uncover and check
> beetroot is just tender. Raise heat and boil off any extra liquid, if
> necessary, and season. The beetroot should still be a little crisp and
> look shiny from the butter.
>
> Scatter over a tsp of drained, deep-fried capers as an unusual and
> delicious garnish. The tiny bud open like miniature flower.
>
> AM

Anne-Marie, tonight I tried the recipe you posted. It's wonderful!
Definitely one to repeat. Oh, the deep-fried capers are delightful!

--
Regards, Thierry...

Reply to Thierry...@att.net

- Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.