Tonight's dinner

serene

Mar 4, 2006, 11:46:55 PM3/4/06
The chicken and dumplings from the BH&G cookbook again, along with
some lightly steamed broccoli (and some practice-peanut-brittle for
dessert). James said they were the best dumplings he's ever had. Made
twice the dumplings because, well, we like dumplings. (Also, didn't
follow the stewed chicken to the letter -- I know how to stew a
chicken, and I didn't happen to have carrots and celery around.)

serene

Sarah

Mar 5, 2006, 2:59:39 AM3/5/06
Can you share your dumpling recipe please? I make them with just suet,
SR flour, salt and pepper, bring it together with water and drop them
in the stew for the last half hour or so. THey turn out nice and
fluffy, but I imagine US dumplings are slightly different?
Sarah

serene

Mar 5, 2006, 3:38:12 AM3/5/06
On 4 Mar 2006 23:59:39 -0800, "Sarah" <sarahry...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

Sure. Let me go get the book.

It's from the 1976 edition of the Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book

Chicken With Dumplings

Stewed Chicken
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons salad oil
Chicken Gravy

Prepare Stewed Chicken. When chicken is almost tender, sift together
flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine milk and oil; add to dry
ingredients; stir just to moisten. Drop from tablespoon directly onto
chicken in boiling stock (Do not let batter drop in liquid.) [Serene's
note: I find it almost impossible not to let some of the batter drop
in the liquid.] Cover tightly; return to boiling. Reduce heat (don't
lift cover); simmer 12 to 15 minutes, or till done. [Serene's note: I
forgot to turn the heat down and ended up boiling instead of simmering
for about 12 minutes, and they were the best ever.] Remove dumplings
and chicken to hot platter; keep hot while prepareing Chicken Gravy.
Pour gravy over chicken and dumplings. Garnish with parsley. Makes 6
to 8 servings. [Serene's note: I saved the excess chicken gravy from
last time and froze it, so I didn't have to do the extra warm-platter
step. Also, this makes far too few dumplings for 6-8 people. I double
the recipe and it feeds three of us with a little excess.]

Wayne Boatwright

Mar 5, 2006, 4:47:31 AM3/5/06
On Sun 05 Mar 2006 12:59:39a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Sarah?

Not Serene, but not really different except that I doubt many folks use suet.
It is not commonly available. More likely vegetable shortening or butter.
Cooking is the same. Rolled dumplings are also common in the US.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA

Sarah

Mar 5, 2006, 5:41:05 AM3/5/06

"serene" <ser...@serenepages.org> wrote in message

Thanks, I'm going to have a go at these tomorrow, I'm working nights next
week, taking home cooked food to warm in the microwave is much better than
the terrible canteen, (they call it a restaurant, but the choice of veg the
other day was tinned peas, frozen peas or mushy peas, and the vegetarian
option was chips and mushy peas!)
For a hospital that is supposed to advocate healthy eating it's abysmal!
Sarah

Christine Dabney

Mar 5, 2006, 5:53:51 AM3/5/06
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 10:41:05 GMT, "Sarah" <sarahry...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>Thanks, I'm going to have a go at these tomorrow, I'm working nights next
>week, taking home cooked food to warm in the microwave is much better than
>the terrible canteen, (they call it a restaurant, but the choice of veg the
>other day was tinned peas, frozen peas or mushy peas, and the vegetarian
>option was chips and mushy peas!)
>For a hospital that is supposed to advocate healthy eating it's abysmal!
>Sarah

Are you a nurse, Sarah?

I am an RN, and I usually take my lunch to work. However, some nights
(I work nights) I don't get to eat, cause it is so busy. I usually
take something to heat up in the microwave, but somedays it would be
better to have a sandwich, so I can eat on the fly. Last week though,
that wasn't even an option, it was so busy.

Christine

Sarah

Mar 5, 2006, 7:15:42 AM3/5/06

"Christine Dabney" <arti...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Yep, an RN too, although I work in the operating theatre, so most of my
patients are either asleep or heavily medicated! The surgeons take most of
the looking after! (how they manage to find their way to work in the morning
is beyond me sometimes!)

Sarah