UK Heinz ketchup in the USA

Stan Horwitz

Mar 2, 2009, 7:16:21 AM3/2/09
Hi all. I was recently in Boston with five friends on vacation. We drove
to Boston from Philadelphia. We had two suites at the Double Tree hotel
on Soldiers Field Road across the Charles River from Cambridge. Its a
great hotel in a nice area.

I am an early riser. My friends like to sleep late. One morning, I took
a walk to Harvard Square while my friends were all sound asleep. I have
been to that area many times, so I knew there was a gourmet food store
right near the Coop (Harvard's bookstore). This food store sells a nice
selection of staples from France and England, but mostly England. The
name of the store escapes me.

Anyway, I go to the condiments section and they have several British
Heinz products such as salad cream, but no British Heinz Ketchup, which
is what I wanted to buy. The owner of the store saw me looking around
and he asked me if I needed help.

There was only one or two other people shopping there at the time, so we
got to talking and I asked him why now British Heinz Ketchup there. I
told him I bought a bottle there a few years ago. His response surprised
me. He said the FDA banned it from being sold in the United States two
or three years ago. He had no idea why. He said he will not sell
anything that the FDA has banned, so he doesn't stock the British Heinz
Ketchup any more.

So? Does anyone on this newsgroup care to speculate, or do you know, why
the Food and Drug Administration would ban British Heinz Ketchup from
being sold in the United States?

Ed Pawlowski

Mar 2, 2009, 7:55:46 AM3/2/09

"Stan Horwitz" <st...@temple.edu> wrote in message

> There was only one or two other people shopping there at the time, so we
> got to talking and I asked him why now British Heinz Ketchup there. I
> told him I bought a bottle there a few years ago. His response surprised
> me. He said the FDA banned it from being sold in the United States two
> or three years ago. He had no idea why. He said he will not sell
> anything that the FDA has banned, so he doesn't stock the British Heinz
> Ketchup any more.
>
> So? Does anyone on this newsgroup care to speculate, or do you know, why
> the Food and Drug Administration would ban British Heinz Ketchup from
> being sold in the United States?

Could be some ingredient added that is banned here, such as an artificial
color or flavoring.

I've seen it here in the past but have not looked for it in particular. We
have a store in town with British imports so I'll have to take a peek.

brooklyn1

Mar 2, 2009, 9:20:11 AM3/2/09
"Stan Horwitz" wrote:

> Does anyone on this newsgroup care to speculate, or do you know, why
> the Food and Drug Administration would ban British Heinz Ketchup from
> being sold in the United States?

I remember hearing a warning on the news some time ago that in the UK they
use malt vinegar which is not gluten free... could be why but I don't know.

Also the Heinz ketchup label will be changed:
http://www.euroinvestor.co.uk/News/ShowNewsStory.aspx?StoryID=10115446&BW=20090116005716

Tracy

Mar 2, 2009, 9:44:55 AM3/2/09
Stan Horwitz wrote:
> Hi all. I was recently in Boston with five friends on vacation. We drove
> to Boston from Philadelphia. We had two suites at the Double Tree hotel
> on Soldiers Field Road across the Charles River from Cambridge. Its a
> great hotel in a nice area.
>
> I am an early riser. My friends like to sleep late. One morning, I took
> a walk to Harvard Square while my friends were all sound asleep. I have
> been to that area many times, so I knew there was a gourmet food store
> right near the Coop (Harvard's bookstore). This food store sells a nice
> selection of staples from France and England, but mostly England. The
> name of the store escapes me.

Cardullos
http://www.cardullos.com/

I haven't been there in a long time. I am planning a visit to Harvard
Square soon, so thanks for hte reminder.

> Anyway, I go to the condiments section and they have several British
> Heinz products such as salad cream, but no British Heinz Ketchup, which
> is what I wanted to buy. The owner of the store saw me looking around
> and he asked me if I needed help.
>
> There was only one or two other people shopping there at the time, so we
> got to talking and I asked him why now British Heinz Ketchup there. I
> told him I bought a bottle there a few years ago. His response surprised
> me. He said the FDA banned it from being sold in the United States two
> or three years ago. He had no idea why. He said he will not sell
> anything that the FDA has banned, so he doesn't stock the British Heinz
> Ketchup any more.
>
> So? Does anyone on this newsgroup care to speculate, or do you know, why
> the Food and Drug Administration would ban British Heinz Ketchup from
> being sold in the United States?

No idea. A couple of my local groceries have small UK food sections.
I'll have to take a look.

Tracy

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 2, 2009, 2:22:21 PM3/2/09
On Mar 2, 7:16 am, Stan Horwitz <s...@temple.edu> wrote:

> So? Does anyone on this newsgroup care to speculate, or do you know, why
> the Food and Drug Administration would ban British Heinz Ketchup from
> being sold in the United States?

If I had to guess (and it would be purely a guess), I'd say that the
British
formulation doesn't conform to the FDA definition of "ketchup". It
would
have to be labeled "imitation ketchup" to be sold here.

I poked around the web a bit and couldn't easily find the ingredients
for
British Heinz. But I did find a scare in 2003 over contamination of
Heinz ketchup overseas.

Cindy Hamilton

Andy

Mar 2, 2009, 2:37:20 PM3/2/09
Cindy Hamilton said...

A throwback to the American Revolution.

UK Heinz ketchup has tea in it!

!!! JUST KIDDING !!!

Andy

alsa...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2009, 2:49:42 PM3/2/09
On Mar 2, 7:16 am, Stan Horwitz <s...@temple.edu> wrote:

> So? Does anyone on this newsgroup care to speculate, or do you know, why
> the Food and Drug Administration would ban British Heinz Ketchup from
> being sold in the United States?

Stupidity? Protectionist twaddle in a "free market"?

Remember the to-do over Canadian online pharmacies and how patented
drugs made in Canada by the same parent company as the US could
somehow be inferior. Bullshit.

Can you buy Canadian Heinz ketchup? Probably not either.

Jean B.

Mar 2, 2009, 3:05:04 PM3/2/09

Yes, to Canadian. I went down to look at what I thought was from
the UK, and it was from Canada. I have spent too much time trying
to look into the issue. My amusing thought was that the US
HFCS-laden Heinz might not compete so well with the Heinz products
from Canada and England, which actually contain sugar!

--
Jean B.

Dimitri

Mar 2, 2009, 3:54:09 PM3/2/09

> Hi all. I was recently in Boston with five friends on vacation. We drove
> to Boston from Philadelphia. We had two suites at the Double Tree hotel
> on Soldiers Field Road across the Charles River from Cambridge. Its a
> great hotel in a nice area.
>
> I am an early riser. My friends like to sleep late. One morning, I took
> a walk to Harvard Square while my friends were all sound asleep. I have
> been to that area many times, so I knew there was a gourmet food store
> right near the Coop (Harvard's bookstore). This food store sells a nice
> selection of staples from France and England, but mostly England. The
> name of the store escapes me.
>
> Anyway, I go to the condiments section and they have several British
> Heinz products such as salad cream, but no British Heinz Ketchup, which
> is what I wanted to buy. The owner of the store saw me looking around
> and he asked me if I needed help.
>
> There was only one or two other people shopping there at the time, so we
> got to talking and I asked him why now British Heinz Ketchup there. I
> told him I bought a bottle there a few years ago. His response surprised
> me.

Do you trust his answer?????

Maybe he was pulling your bottle!

Dimitri

Wim van Bemmel

Mar 2, 2009, 4:52:51 PM3/2/09

Just revenge for the European ban on the USA hormone laden beef ??
Like the ban on French Roquefort cheese. The last act of your godbless mr.
Bush.

--
Groet, salut, Wim.

Michel Boucher

Mar 2, 2009, 5:57:59 PM3/2/09
"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in news:712sfbF...@mid.individual.net:

> My amusing thought was that the US
> HFCS-laden Heinz might not compete so well with the Heinz products
> from Canada and England, which actually contain sugar!

And Cuban sugar, no less.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest

Arri London

Mar 2, 2009, 8:16:08 PM3/2/09

Don't have a label to read ingredients from but here is what Heinz UK
says is in their ketchup:

Food stuff
We pack an amazing 126g of ripe, fresh tomatoes
into every 100g of your favourite Tomato Ketchup
which makes it taste great and means it's a
source of the powerful antioxidant lycopene. We
also make it free from artificial colours, flavours,
preservatives and GM ingredients and it's
delicious on just about anything.

(from their Webpage:
http://www.heinz.com/our-food/products/ketchup.aspx)

This site
(http://www.waitrose.com/food/celebritiesandarticles/ingredients/0008084.aspx)
says: Thankfully, Heinz's was of a different quality altogether, made
from fresh tomatoes (about 1kg go into a standard 340g bottle), sugar,
vinegar and a secret spice blend, which includes - it has been suggested
- cinnamon, cloves, mace, cayenne pepper, and allspice.

The US version seems to contain:

Tomatoes (126g per 100g of ketchup), Spirit vinegar, Glucose syrup,
Sugar, Salt, Spices and herb extracts, Spice, Garlic powder.

From several sites, nothing on the Heinz site.

Jean B.

Mar 2, 2009, 8:07:53 PM3/2/09
Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in news:712sfbF...@mid.individual.net:
>
>> My amusing thought was that the US
>> HFCS-laden Heinz might not compete so well with the Heinz products
>> from Canada and England, which actually contain sugar!
>
> And Cuban sugar, no less.

Interesting.

--
Jean B.

Stan Horwitz

Mar 2, 2009, 9:23:01 PM3/2/09
In article <Xns9BC25CD6...@198.186.190.162>,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" <don'ta...@donttell.huh> wrote:

> "brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net>
> news:vWRql.626$%u5....@nwrddc01.gnilink.net: in rec.food.cooking

> I doubt this would have anything to do with it but I heard or read
> something about the sodium content as well. I don't have time to
> research it this morning. Maybe Stan can try to Google it from that
> angle as well.

Thanks everyone for your ideas, and that youtube video. Actually, I just
got the idea to contact Heinz to ask about this situation. Maybe that
store manage was pulling my leg, but he sure seemed serious. If I get a
response to my inquiry from Heinz, I will post it here.

Arri London

Mar 3, 2009, 10:49:10 AM3/3/09

If it does contain Cuban sugar, that would be enough grounds for barring
entry into the US. There is still supposed to be a trade embargo on
Cuban products.

brooklyn1

Mar 3, 2009, 11:28:44 AM3/3/09

"Arri London" <bio...@ic.ac.uk> wrote in message

That may be but I doubt that would be a USDA issue as was originally stated.

blake murphy

Mar 3, 2009, 1:14:42 PM3/3/09
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:04:28 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message <stan-25CD02.0...@88-136-209-74.adslgp.cegetel.net>
> from Stan Horwitz <st...@temple.edu> contains these words:

>> So? Does anyone on this newsgroup care to speculate, or do you know, why
>> the Food and Drug Administration would ban British Heinz Ketchup from
>> being sold in the United States?
>

> All part of the war on terror. See
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSTRxmFC5lc
>
> Janet.

the heinz people had another controversial ad in the u.k., which can be
seen here:

<http://lgbthmuk.blogspot.com/2008/06/heinz-gay-kiss-advert.html>

while i'm at it, i fell i must throw in this image from 'the who sell out':

<http://buzzardbook.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/the-who-sell-out.jpg>

your pal,
blake

Michel Boucher

Mar 3, 2009, 6:10:12 PM3/3/09
Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk> wrote in news:49AD5176...@ic.ac.uk:

> If it does contain Cuban sugar, that would be enough grounds for barring
> entry into the US. There is still supposed to be a trade embargo on
> Cuban products.

What do you mean "if"?

Message has been deleted

Dan Abel

Mar 3, 2009, 8:48:37 PM3/3/09
In article <akplmrtrktw$.1mxhn8t07uc02$.d...@40tude.net>,
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

> the heinz people had another controversial ad in the u.k., which can be
> seen here:
>
> <http://lgbthmuk.blogspot.com/2008/06/heinz-gay-kiss-advert.html>

Although this ad was never shown in the US, and the product is not sold
in the US, I understand that nearly all the protest came from the US.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

PeterLucas

Mar 3, 2009, 8:59:49 PM3/3/09
Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote in news:dabel-A181BD.17483703032009@c-61-68-
245-199.per.connect.net.au:

>> <http://lgbthmuk.blogspot.com/2008/06/heinz-gay-kiss-advert.html>
>
> Although this ad was never shown in the US, and the product is not sold
> in the US, I understand that nearly all the protest came from the US.

Could it be that the majority of Americans don't have a sense of humour?? Or
is it because one of their 'icons', the New York Deli 'chef', is perceived as
gay?? :-)

When I fist saw the commercial (awhile back) I immediately saw the
correlation that using this particular mayo would turn you into a NY 'Deli
Chef'......... I just wondered what the 'wife' looked like before the
transformation :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

Jean B.

Mar 4, 2009, 9:47:06 AM3/4/09

One CAN get the ketchup from Canada.

--
Jean B.

Andy

Mar 4, 2009, 10:15:08 AM3/4/09
Jean B. said...

Who cares about foreign Heinz ketchup???

It won't taste different. It's the cheapest condiment on earth!

Ridiculous!!!

Hello???

Andy

Jean B.

Mar 4, 2009, 10:25:42 AM3/4/09

I care. Foreign Heinz ketchup contains sugar as vs HFCS. Also,
the organic Heinz is imported.

--
Jean B.

James Silverton

Mar 4, 2009, 10:32:21 AM3/4/09

> Ridiculous!!!

Cheapest condiment? How about salt, vinegar etc.? Banning the import of
foods containing Cuban sugar is not really ridiculous since it is an
easy way to get votes in Florida and no-one else seems to care much

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Andy

Mar 4, 2009, 10:37:13 AM3/4/09
Jean B. said...

> Andy wrote:

>> Who cares about foreign Heinz ketchup???
>>
>> It won't taste different. It's the cheapest condiment on earth!
>>
>> Ridiculous!!!
>>
>> Hello???
>>
>> Andy
>
> I care. Foreign Heinz ketchup contains sugar as vs HFCS. Also,
> the organic Heinz is imported.

Jean B,

I bought organic Heinz at the supermarket once. No difference other than
price.

I'm with you about anti-HFCS but what are we putting ketchup on that isn't
probably worse?

Debating UK vs. US Heinz ketchup just seems a tad absurd, imho.

And so... rfc marches on. :D

Best,

Andy

Arri London

Mar 4, 2009, 10:50:24 AM3/4/09

Michel Boucher wrote:

> Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk> wrote in news:49AD5176...@ic.ac.uk:
>
> > If it does contain Cuban sugar, that would be enough grounds for barring
> > entry into the US. There is still supposed to be a trade embargo on
> > Cuban products.
>
> What do you mean "if"?
>
> --

Is the origin of the sugar in the ketchup documented as being Cuban?
Sugar grows in a lot of places; it was easy enough to buy supermarket
sugar in London that came from many different countries.

James Silverton

Mar 4, 2009, 10:49:16 AM3/4/09
Arri wrote on Wed, 04 Mar 2009 08:50:24 -0700:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>>
>> Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk> wrote in
>>
> >> If it does contain Cuban sugar, that would be enough
> >> grounds for barring entry into the US. There is still
> >> supposed to be a trade embargo on Cuban products.
>>
>> What do you mean "if"?
>>

>Is the origin of the sugar in the ketchup documented as being Cuban?
>Sugar grows in a lot of places; it was easy enough to buy supermarket
>sugar in London that came from many different countries.

Was the plant that produced the sugar mentioned in London? Sugar cane
does not grow in Northern Europe but sugar beets flourish. The sugar
from either source is chemically identical.

brooklyn1

Mar 4, 2009, 12:30:07 PM3/4/09

"James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.not> wrote in message

> Andy wrote on Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:15:08 -0600:

>>> One CAN get the ketchup from Canada.
>
>> Who cares about foreign Heinz ketchup???
>
>> It won't taste different. It's the cheapest condiment on
>> earth!
>
>> Ridiculous!!!
>
> Cheapest condiment? How about salt, vinegar etc.

Salt is not a condiment. Individual spices (black pepper) are not
condiments either, only a blend is a condiment; ie. garlic salt, chili
powder.

> Banning the import of foods containing Cuban sugar is not really
> ridiculous

What's ridiculous is thinking there's a way of knowing with any degree of
certainty from which geographical location a particular sugar originated..
especially once it's blended into a recipe.

Dan Abel

Mar 4, 2009, 2:04:33 PM3/4/09
In article <717krcF...@mid.individual.net>,
"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

> I care. Foreign Heinz ketchup contains sugar as vs HFCS. Also,
> the organic Heinz is imported.

I didn't have any luck finding the ingredients. Heinz assured me that
they were the finest and the purist. Thanks, but what are they?

In:

<49AC84D8...@ic.ac.uk>

Arri posted that the US version contains glucose syrup, but not HFCS.
The sugar "glucose" is present in many different foods, as well as being
a *very* important sugar in our body. However, corn syrup is a type of
glucose syrup, and is what HFCS is made from. So, depending on why a
person thinks that HFCS is more evil than sucrose, that will help decide
whether they might prefer sucrose over glucose syrup.

blake murphy

Mar 4, 2009, 2:18:21 PM3/4/09
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:48:37 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article <akplmrtrktw$.1mxhn8t07uc02$.d...@40tude.net>,
> blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> the heinz people had another controversial ad in the u.k., which can be
>> seen here:
>>
>> <http://lgbthmuk.blogspot.com/2008/06/heinz-gay-kiss-advert.html>
>
> Although this ad was never shown in the US, and the product is not sold
> in the US, I understand that nearly all the protest came from the US.

we're such sissies when it comes to teh ghey.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Mar 4, 2009, 2:21:10 PM3/4/09

i could be wrong, but i doubt the ban on 'cuban products' goes down to the
ingredient level. even insanity has its limits.

your pal,
blake

Pete C.

Mar 4, 2009, 3:13:51 PM3/4/09

Foreign ketchup contains sugar, domestic ketchup contains sugar. Both
Fructose and Sucrose *are* sugars. If you're going to be a sugar bigot,
try to get your terminology correct.

Gregory Morrow

Mar 4, 2009, 4:19:20 PM3/4/09

brooklyn1 wrote:

Thank you. Unless the item said "Made in Cuba" or "Product of Cuba" or some
such the US would have no grounds for barring it's import. Some here
obviously enjoy to stir up that old anti - Yanqui sentiment...

In fact, you can find Heinz products in Cuban stores:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2007-05-14-1080210184_x.htm

Cuba stocks US brands despite embargo

Posted 5/15/2007 1:31 AM

By Will Weissert, Associated Press Writer

"HAVANA - The golden arches are nowhere to be found. There's not a single
Starbucks or Wal-Mart, and no way to buy a Budweiser, a Corvette or a Dell.
But even in Cuba, you can get a Coke.

Despite the U.S. Trading With the Enemy Act, which governs Washington's
45-year-old embargo, sales on Fidel Castro's island are lining the pockets
of corporate America.

Nikes, Colgate and Marlboros, Gillette Series shaving cream and Jordache
jeans -- all are easy to find. Cubans who wear contact lenses can buy Bausch
& Lomb. Parents can surprise the kids with a Mickey Mouse fire truck.

Dozens of American brands are on sale here -- and not in some black-market
back alley. They're in the lobbies of gleaming government-run hotels and in
crowded supermarkets and pharmacies that answer to the communist government.

The companies say they have no direct knowledge of sales in Cuba, and that
the amounts involved are small and would be impractical to stop. But it's
hard to deny that a portion of the transactions wind up back in the United
States.

"We try and do what we can to police ... but in a globalized economy, it's
impossible to catch everything," said Vada Manager, director of global
issues management for Nike Inc.

Trade sanctions bar American tourists from visiting Cuba and allow exports
only of U.S. food and farm products, medical supplies and some
telecommunications equipment. But wholesalers and distributors in Europe,
Asia, Latin America and Canada routinely sell some of America's most
recognizable brands to Cuban importers.

Cuba has for years sought out American goods as a way of thumbing its nose
at the embargo. Officials at three foreign-owned import companies operating
in Havana, who refused to have their names published for fear of economic
repercussions, said the communist government itself still imports the vast
majority of American goods.

Christopher Padilla, U.S. assistant secretary of commerce for export
administration, said from Washington that Cuba even sends delegations on
"buying missions," hunting for specific American products in third countries
for resale back home. Cuban press authorities did not make relevant
officials available to discuss the practice.

In a country where tourism is the leading revenue source, stocking American
brands helps reassure visitors, according to Daniel Erikson, a Cuban economy
expert at the Inter-American Dialogue in Washington.

"People, average Cubans included, would rather have Coca-Cola than a no-name
generic soda they're not familiar with. That means the government can charge
more," Erikson said. "And obviously for the tourist industry it's important
for the foreigners who visit Cuba to see products that they know and trust."

All American products are sold in Cuban convertible pesos, considered
foreign currency and worth $1.08 apiece -- about 25 times the island's
regular peso. Although government salaries have increased in recent years,
the average monthly pay is still around $15, meaning few Cubans can afford
U.S. goods.

But last month, Economy Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez said 57 percent of the
population has access to hard currency -- dollars or convertible pesos --
either through jobs in tourism or money from relatives abroad. A 2004 report
by the U.S. Commission for Assistance to a Free Cuba estimated that
remittances from the United States alone total $1 billion a year.

The influx of American brands began in earnest in 1993, when Cuba scrapped
laws that had made it illegal for its citizens to possess dollars. Cubans
know the products, despite an almost complete lack of advertising on the
island. Angel Hernandez, a 62-year-old retiree, didn't hesitate when
presented with a pair of "Air Jordans."

"That swoosh. That's Nike," he said. Like most Cubans, he pronounces the
company name with a silent "e" as in "Mike."

Made in China, brick-red Nike Air Max 90 sneakers sell for 129.40
convertible Cuban pesos -- about $140 -- at a store off Havana's Central
Park. High-priced fakes also abound. Several stores, including one inside
the Havana Libre Hotel -- the Havana Hilton before Castro's 1959
revolution -- offer authentic-looking Max Air 80s, but Nike makes no such
product.

At the Comodoro Hotel, a boutique wants $40 for assorted small gym bags with
pastel or silver swooshes. Their tags read "Made in Indonesia" in Spanish
and "Nike de Mexico," providing a hint of their route to Cuba.

Manager said all Nike products for sale in Cuba are probably knockoffs. He
conceded, however, that legitimate distributors outside the U.S. could be
selling products to Cuban importers -- and that Nike could make money off
such sales.

"But what you're talking about is such a small volume there," he said. "And
if we are able to detect where ... the products came from, that distributor
or retailer runs the risk of having their account discontinued with us."

John Kavulich, senior policy adviser for the U.S.-Cuba Trade and Economic
Council Inc. in New York, said "in no way should it be said that this is an
end run by U.S. business around U.S. restrictions, because it's not."

"It's almost impossible for American companies to stop," Kavulich said. "Of
course, at some point in the transaction, at the very beginning when the
legitimate distributor bought the product from Nike, or any company, money
went to the U.S."

Kavulich estimated the value of U.S. brands sold in Cuba as "probably $20
million or less on an annual basis," but noted that less than 5 percent of
that amount likely represents combined profit for American companies, given
all the layers of transactions the products go through to get to the island.

Decades-old Walt Disney cartoons air on state television every afternoon and
stores have Mickey Mouse toys and wrapping paper and Snoopy products.

In Havana's Vedado district, fishing supply store DSY offers goods made by
U.S. supplier Seachoice Products. A "Heavy Duty Waterproof Flashlight" from
the company proudly proclaims "Made in USA."

Saleswoman Dayne Barrios said the products were shipped from Florida to a
Mexico distributor, which sent them to Cuba through a government importer.
Calls to Seachoice offices in Pompano Beach, Fla., were not returned.

At least two Havana clothing stores call themselves Jordache, one even using
the company's horse head logo on its marquee. The shelves inside are crammed
with jeans, shirts and blouses with Jordache labels.

Steven Nakash, director of licensing for Jordache Enterprises in New York,
said the company heard about unauthorized use of its brand in Cuba several
years ago but took no action because "an American company dealing with a
foreign territory and battling it out on foreign soil is very, very hard."

Nakash, a member of Jordache's founding family, said the company has
international distributors but also licenses its brand to manufacturers,
including one in Mexico. He said he was unsure where the products in Cuba
came from.

"Is any of the revenue from Cuba coming back to me? Certainly not," Nakash
said.

Even after Castro took over, more than 100 U.S. corporations -- including
Ford Motor Co. -- obtained licenses to operate here through foreign
subsidiaries.

The U.S. Cuban Democracy Act of 1992 made such third-country transactions
illegal, while also authorizing the export of U.S. medicines. Eight years
later, the U.S. Congress allowed direct sales to Cuba of food and farm
goods, everything from rice, ice cream and livestock to wood products, down
feathers and cigarettes.

Since then, Heinz ketchup, Tabasco Sauce and Tyson's chicken have been
sporadically available at Cuban government supermarkets, and the United
States has become the island's leading supplier of food and farm products.

Prices can be about twice as much as in U.S. stories. Tubes of Colgate
toothpaste start at $4.85. You can also find products including shampoo,
conditioner and anti-bacterial soap from New York-based Colgate-Palmolive
Co. A shaving "mousse" from Gillette Series, distributed by Procter & Gamble
Zurich, costs $4.80 a bottle.

Could those items be considered medical supplies? Not likely, say U.S.
officials.

But pinpointing whether any American product is in Cuba legally is difficult
because the U.S. Treasury Department does not disclose who secures export
licenses, citing trade secrets acts.

No American brand is more prevalent in Cuba than Coke, but the Atlanta,
Georgia-based Coca-Cola Co. has not sought Cuban export licenses -- even
though its product would qualify as food.

Bottled mostly in Mexico, Coke goes for $1 at stores -- about the same price
as at a U.S. convenience store -- and up to four times that at touristy
restaurants.

Charles Sutlive, a Coca-Cola spokesman in Atlanta, said the company has not
authorized any bottler to sell or distribute any of its finished products in
Cuba. But he added that the company "does not have the authority to prevent
these type of activities in countries where Cuban import-export companies
are free to operate."

Indeed, distributors of American goods operating in other countries often
insist they are doing nothing wrong -- and can even be fined by their own
governments for refusing to export to Cuba.

Mexico fined the Sheraton Maria Isabel Hotel in Mexico City in 2005 after it
bowed to U.S. Treasury Department pressure and evicted Cuban officials
staying there. In January, a Norwegian hotel owned by Hilton Hotel Corp.
sparked an uproar when it refused to book rooms for a Cuban delegation,
citing the American embargo.

The Commerce Department's Padilla said the U.S. sanctions have international
reach, applying to American products anywhere in the world.

"If companies knowingly sold to a Cuban importer, they can be prosecuted,"
he said. "Willful blindness is not an excuse to violate the law in these
matters."

Despite potential legal hot water, Nakash confessed a certain pride that his
brand has cracked Havana.

"I can very much appreciate seeing a Jordache shop there," he said. "I, as
an American, can't go to a country like Cuba. But our brand can."

</>

brooklyn1

Mar 4, 2009, 4:53:47 PM3/4/09

"Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

<snip article text>

The thing is that early on in this thread it was stated that it was the USDA
that stopped the import of UK ketchup, well they don't become involved with
political issues. The USDA deals with quality and where there is some
material flaw with a food product. Early on I stated that I had previously
heard that there was a problem with UK products due to health issues because
in the UK they use malt vinegar and malt vinegar contains gluten. No one
here has explored that possibility so as you say, there are indeed those
with a strong penchant to stir up that old anti - Yanqui sentiment... rather
than learning the truth.

Jean B.

Mar 4, 2009, 7:52:32 PM3/4/09
Well, I suspect what YOU are putting it on and what I might put it
on may be different. :-) BTW, I checked today, and the organic
Heinz ketchup is on the shelves, made in Canada.

--
Jean B.

Arri London

Mar 5, 2009, 11:00:21 AM3/5/09

James Silverton wrote:

> Arri wrote on Wed, 04 Mar 2009 08:50:24 -0700:
>
> > Michel Boucher wrote:
> >>
> >> Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk> wrote in

> >> What do you mean "if"?
> >>
> >Is the origin of the sugar in the ketchup documented as being Cuban?
> >Sugar grows in a lot of places; it was easy enough to buy supermarket
> >sugar in London that came from many different countries.
>
> Was the plant that produced the sugar mentioned in London?

Yes of course. Cane sugar is always identified as cane sugar in the UK.
If the word cane isn't used, then the product is generally made from
beet sugar. That's pretty basic ;)

Sugar cane
> does not grow in Northern Europe but sugar beets flourish. The sugar
> from either source is chemically identical.
> --

Sucrose is indeed sucrose, once it's all purified down to white
crystals.

Arri London

Mar 5, 2009, 11:03:05 AM3/5/09

Got that from different Web sites, none of which quoted the label
directly. It could be inaccurate. We don't have ketchup in the house at
the moment. Someone in this group needs to copy the ingredients off the
label of their own bottle of Heinz ketchup :)

Arri London

Mar 5, 2009, 11:04:12 AM3/5/09

One would *like* to think so.....

James Silverton

Mar 5, 2009, 11:00:39 AM3/5/09
Arri wrote on Thu, 05 Mar 2009 09:00:21 -0700:

> James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> Arri wrote on Wed, 04 Mar 2009 08:50:24 -0700:

> >> Is the origin of the sugar in the ketchup documented as
> >> being Cuban? Sugar grows in a lot of places; it was easy
> >> enough to buy supermarket sugar in London that came from
> >> many different countries.
>>
>> Was the plant that produced the sugar mentioned in London?

> Yes of course. Cane sugar is always identified as cane sugar
> in the UK. If the word cane isn't used, then the product is
> generally made from beet sugar. That's pretty basic ;)

I wonder why it should be felt necessary to specify the plant source of
the sugar? Is it required for some sort of subsidy or tariff?

Edwin Pawlowski

Mar 5, 2009, 11:39:22 AM3/5/09

"Arri London" <bio...@ic.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Sugar cane
>> does not grow in Northern Europe but sugar beets flourish. The sugar
>> from either source is chemically identical.
>> --
>>

> Sucrose is indeed sucrose, once it's all purified down to white
> crystals.

I've never tried beet sugar, but I do know people that dislike it for
baking. They say it is not hte same and the end result is different. All
the sugar I've seen in this area (East Coast) is cane.

Arri London

Mar 5, 2009, 12:05:05 PM3/5/09

James Silverton wrote:

> Arri wrote on Thu, 05 Mar 2009 09:00:21 -0700:
>
> > James Silverton wrote:

> >> Was the plant that produced the sugar mentioned in London?
>
> > Yes of course. Cane sugar is always identified as cane sugar
> > in the UK. If the word cane isn't used, then the product is
> > generally made from beet sugar. That's pretty basic ;)
>
> I wonder why it should be felt necessary to specify the plant source of
> the sugar? Is it required for some sort of subsidy or tariff?
>
> --

Never thought about it. Could be that or could just be that general food
laws require such labelling. Chocolate bars must list percentage cocoa
solids and sausage products must list minimum (which is probably the
maximum) meat content.

Arri London

Mar 5, 2009, 12:06:46 PM3/5/09

Have never noticed the slightest difference. Have used both equally in
different countries. Guessing that in a 'blind' test, people wouldn't
notice any difference.

Dan Abel

Mar 5, 2009, 7:39:24 PM3/5/09
In article <49AFF7B9...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:

> > I didn't have any luck finding the ingredients. Heinz assured me that
> > they were the finest and the purist. Thanks, but what are they?
> >
> > In:
> >
> > <49AC84D8...@ic.ac.uk>
> >
> > Arri posted that the US version contains glucose syrup, but not HFCS.
> > The sugar "glucose" is present in many different foods, as well as being
> > a *very* important sugar in our body. However, corn syrup is a type of
> > glucose syrup, and is what HFCS is made from. So, depending on why a
> > person thinks that HFCS is more evil than sucrose, that will help decide
> > whether they might prefer sucrose over glucose syrup.

> Got that from different Web sites, none of which quoted the label
> directly. It could be inaccurate. We don't have ketchup in the house at
> the moment. Someone in this group needs to copy the ingredients off the
> label of their own bottle of Heinz ketchup :)

That's really funny, Arri. I'm so used to looking stuff up on the web,
and not buying name brands, that I never thought to look in my own
fridge! We have both Heinz and store brand in there, and the ingredient
list for both has HFCS and corn syrup, in that order.

Arri London

Mar 5, 2009, 8:14:26 PM3/5/09

TY Dan. Neither of those forms of sugar are pure glucose syrup. Perhaps
it *used* to contain pure glucose syrup (no idea how much that would
cost) and that's where the other information came from?

Michel Boucher

Mar 5, 2009, 8:17:05 PM3/5/09
"James Silverton" <not.jim....@verizon.not> wrote in news:HGSrl.1440
$gm6...@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

> I wonder why it should be felt necessary to specify the plant source of
> the sugar? Is it required for some sort of subsidy or tariff?

Agricultural goods are always subject to tariffs. The control of these has
been the goal of the GATT and later WTO.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes

Michel Boucher

Mar 5, 2009, 8:18:13 PM3/5/09
"Edwin Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in

> I've never tried beet sugar, but I do know people that dislike it for
> baking. They say it is not hte same and the end result is different.
> All the sugar I've seen in this area (East Coast) is cane.

I prefer fructose for baking, although one has to compensate for the lesser
volume.

Steve Pope

Mar 6, 2009, 10:47:32 AM3/6/09
Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

>That's really funny, Arri. I'm so used to looking stuff up on the web,
>and not buying name brands, that I never thought to look in my own
>fridge! We have both Heinz and store brand in there, and the ingredient
>list for both has HFCS and corn syrup, in that order.

I recommend Trader Joe's organic ketchup, which has no HFCS
in it.

There are others available with no HFCS, such as Annie's and
Muir Glen, but they are more expensive and, at least in the
case of Muir Glen, not as good.

Steve

blake murphy

Mar 6, 2009, 12:25:29 PM3/6/09

the triumph of hope over experience, i suppose.

your pal,
blake

22al...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2017, 6:04:39 AM2/18/17
The mills in the U.K. Making hienz ketchup have been caught on video tossing rotten tomatoes in the mix for its ketchup. US FDA standards are required and therefore will not allow this ketchup into the US. This is a US born corporation. Out sourced to the U.K. To save costs on shipping the product to the U.K.

cable...@comcast.net

Feb 18, 2017, 9:59:02 PM2/18/17
John Heinz effin Kerry approved the rotten tomatoes after he voted
against it. :P