Zachary's Pizza

Margarita Lacabe

Jul 16, 1994, 6:12:50 PM7/16/94
Somebody posted a recipe for Zachary's Pizza a few days ago. Since the
"best pizza place" debate, some people have expressed an interest in
getting the recipe. Could you please re-post it?

Thanks,

Margarita

Gloria Fountain

Jul 18, 1994, 8:00:20 PM7/18/94
I would also be interested in the recipe for Zachary's Pizza. Particularly
the spinach with three cheeses...MMMMMM. My husband and I are displaced
Berkelite and are going through withdrawals.

Gloria

--
~ ~ ***** ~ ~ glo...@bart.chem-eng.nwu.edu
~ ~ Gloria ******* ~ ~ ****** ( )

TOM_GUMPEL

Jul 19, 1994, 6:16:36 AM7/19/94

Happy to oblige.

It's the best.

As promised, here is the recipe for Chicago Stuffed Pizza.
This recipe is from Zachary' Pizza of Berkeley, California.
Home of the best pizza on the planet.

Crust:
1 tbsp sugar
1 pkg (1 tbsp) yeast
2 cups lukewarm water
.25 cup vegetable oil
4 - 6 cups all purpose flour

* dissolve sugar and yeast in large bowl; let stand until bubbly
* add oil
* stir in 4 cups of flour until smooth (I use my KitchenAid)
* knead appropriately
* turn into greased bowl and let rise until doubled
* make sauce
* punch down dowug and let rest for 10 minutes

Tomato Sauce

2 tbsp olive oil
1 minced garlic clove
1 large can (28oz) of crushed tomatoes and puree
1.5 tsp minced fresh oregano
1.5 tsp minced fresh basil
pinch of salt
.25 tsp ground black pepper

* heat olive oil, saute garlic
* add tomatoes, spices

simmer 30 minutes

Cheeses
2.5 cups mozzarella cheese
.25 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
.25 cup grated romano cheese

Spinach Pesto

.25 cup pine nuts
3 chopped garlic cloves
.75 cup olive oil
1 cup chopped spinach
.75 cup basil leaves
.25 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
.25 cup grated fresh romano cheese

* grind pine nuts, garlic and olive oil in food processor
* add spinach and basil, puree until smooth
* add cheeses
* add salt & pepper to taste

This makes enough for two large pizzas

Preparation of the whole shebang:

* roll out two thirds of dough on lightly floured surface
* fit this into pan and press dough over the sides
* mix cheeses and spread evenely over the dough
* roll out remaining dough to form a 14" circle
* place over the filled dough, seal of edges and remove excess
* pour the tomato sauce over the top layer
* top with spinach pesto

Bake in preheated 450 oven for 25-30 minutes or until crust is
golden

Tom Gumpel TGU...@VMS.HUJI.AC.IL
Department of Special Education 972-2-882-165
School of Education Fax: 972-2-882-045
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Jerusalem, ISRAEL 91905 All my life I've wanted to be somebody, I
realize now that I should have been
more specific.
-- Lily Tomlin