dinner in the rice cooker...

-a-

Mar 2, 2010, 12:17:15 AM3/2/10
Yesterday's arca max food zine had a recipe for Wolfgang Puck's macaroni and
cheese in the rice cooker. Up till now I've used my rice cooker for rice.
My biggest innovation was using chicken stock for the rice, but after the
ezine, I decided to give the cooker a shot as a mini-cooker (I also googled
'rice cooker cooking' for some perspective and basics, which boil down to
add and cook), so I threw 1/4 cup brown rice, a half cup of tomato sauce (I
kept liquid content low because of the vegetables releasing plenty of
liquid), a turkey sausage, a clove of minced garlic, half an onion a
tablespoon of sugar, 2 Tbs of red wine, chopped mushroom, and chopped
broccoli rabe and some red pepper flakes into the cooker and set it on cook.

It was really good.

I have a new friend in the kitchen now.

Omelet

Mar 2, 2010, 2:33:34 AM3/2/10
In article <hmi76s$fv9$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"-a-" <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for this! Even more motivation for getting that microwave rice
cooker I've been wanting. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

-a-

Mar 2, 2010, 10:23:08 AM3/2/10

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In article <hmi76s$fv9$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "-a-" <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yesterday's arca max food zine had a recipe for Wolfgang Puck's
> > macaroni and cheese in the rice cooker. Up till now I've used my
> > rice cooker for rice. My biggest innovation was using chicken stock
> > for the rice, but after the ezine, I decided to give the cooker a
> > shot as a mini-cooker (I also googled 'rice cooker cooking' for
> > some perspective and basics, which boil down to add and cook), so I
> > threw 1/4 cup brown rice, a half cup of tomato sauce (I kept liquid
> > content low because of the vegetables releasing plenty of liquid),
> > a turkey sausage, a clove of minced garlic, half an onion a
> > tablespoon of sugar, 2 Tbs of red wine, chopped mushroom, and
> > chopped broccoli rabe and some red pepper flakes into the cooker
> > and set it on cook.
> >
> > It was really good.
> >
> > I have a new friend in the kitchen now.
>
> Thanks for this! Even more motivation for getting that microwave rice
> cooker I've been wanting. :-)

Great, I hope you enjoy it, but just to be clear -- mine was a separate
electric counter top rice cooker (I got it for 7.95 at Walgreen's), used
like a mini Crockpot (except the first stage boils the water until the rice
absorbs it). I will be experimenting a lot more with it now that I know
it's not necessarily just for cooking rice.

sf

Mar 2, 2010, 12:25:30 PM3/2/10
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 07:23:08 -0800, "-a-" <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> mine was a separate
> electric counter top rice cooker (I got it for 7.95 at Walgreen's)

What a great price! Was that recently?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

<RJ>

Mar 2, 2010, 3:02:38 PM3/2/10

Could this have been made in a crockpot ??

-a-

Mar 2, 2010, 4:39:06 PM3/2/10

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 07:23:08 -0800, "-a-" <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > mine was a separate
> > electric counter top rice cooker (I got it for 7.95 at Walgreen's)
>
> What a great price! Was that recently?

It was within the year. (In Los Angeles at least) I've seen it on special
another time since I bought it -- I think the regular price may only be
11.95.

-a-

Mar 2, 2010, 4:41:27 PM3/2/10

"<RJ>" <bara...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Perhaps, but I'm not sure it would as efficiently. The cook time was 20-25
minutes all in. In a rice cooker, as opposed to a crockpot, the water is
heated to a rapid boil and then after water is cooked out (probably some
kind of barometer or something) it automatically switches to a setting to
keep it warm (theoretically for a while). My crockpot (admitedly old and
not used very often) has to have settings changed manually and heats to a
simmer, bu not a rapid boil. It would take a lot longer.

sf

Mar 2, 2010, 6:34:05 PM3/2/10

I should look and see what we have up here. That's the tiny one,
right... maybe 4 cups?

sf

Mar 2, 2010, 6:40:03 PM3/2/10
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 13:41:27 -0800, "-a-" <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In a rice cooker, as opposed to a crockpot, the water is
> heated to a rapid boil and then after water is cooked out (probably some
> kind of barometer or something) it automatically switches to a setting to
> keep it warm (theoretically for a while).

Actually, it's a sensor.
http://www.phy.cuhk.edu.hk/phyworld/iq/cooker/cooker_e.html

-a-

Mar 2, 2010, 6:59:12 PM3/2/10

BTW here's the Puck recipe that inspired me...

Wolfgang Puck

For You

Wednesday January 13, 2010

* Rice Cookers and Beyond

Match wine with your recipes using our Wine Pairing guide.

For decades now, we food lovers in the Western world have been learning more
and more from Japanese cuisine. Then, there are Japanese cooking tools. Then
there's the humble rice cooker.

Rice Cookers and Beyond

By Wolfgang Puck, Tribune Media Services

For decades now, we food lovers in the Western world have been learning more
and more from Japanese cuisine. For years, we've loved teriyaki and
sukiyaki. In more recent years, we learned to enjoy raw fish in sushi and
sashimi.

Then, there are Japanese cooking tools. Little square or rectangular hibachi
grills taught us that you don't need a lot of space to enjoy food cooked
over an open fire. Recently, more and more western chefs and home cooks have
been discovering what a wonderful job Japanese-style kitchen knives can do
in prepping food.

Then there's the humble rice cooker. A standby in almost every Japanese
home, this little electric appliance produces perfectly cooked rice every
time. All you do is measure the rice and water, put them in, secure the lid,
push the "cook" or "on" button, and go about making the rest of your meal.

More and more of us on this side of the Pacific are using rice cookers, too,
including me. I find it so convenient to get perfect rice every time, while
freeing up another burner on my stove, and my attention.

What most people don't know, however, is that you can use your rice cooker
to cook other delicious dishes -- anything for which you combine all the
ingredients in a single pot at the same time, heat them up quickly (as a
rice cooker automatically does to get the water boiling for rice), and then
cook gently over low heat (as the rice cooker also does). All kinds of
simple soups, stews, and casseroles can be adapted to work in a rice cooker,
and many manufacturers now include such bonus recipes along as part of their
instructions.

One of my favorite rice cooker dishes is macaroni and cheese. In the recipe
I share here, pasta, broth, cream, and cheese all go into the appliance
together and, less than half an hour later, you have a beautiful pasta dish
bathed in a creamy sauce.

Once you've made the basic recipe, it's easy to come up with variations,
like stirring in garlicky sauteed mushrooms as I do here. You could also
include diced cooked ham or leftover chicken or beef, or flaked cooked fish.
Try adding diced roasted chilies for a spicy version, or stir in small
bite-sized pieces of broccoli or cauliflower. You might also like to try
substituting your own favorite cheeses, from Cheddar to Gruyere to blue
cheese, individually or mixed.

And there's one bonus to making macaroni and cheese this way: It forms a
golden-brown crust along the bottom and sides where the mixture touches the
inner pan. Inverted onto a serving dish, this crust not only looks
beautiful, but also it makes this very convenient recipe even more
delicious.

RICE COOKER MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH WILD MUSHROOMS

Serves 4

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

2 medium shallots, finely chopped

1 large garlic clove, finely chopped

1/2 pound fresh wild mushrooms such as shiitakes, portobellos, cremini, or
chanterelles, trimmed, any tough stems removed, mushrooms cut into slices
about 1/4 inch thick

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

2 cups dried elbow macaroni

1-1/2 cups organic chicken broth or vegetable broth

1 cup organic heavy cream

1-1/2 cups shredded Fontina cheese

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the
shallots and cook, stirring, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic
and stir until tender and fragrant, about 1 minute more.

Add the mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Raise the heat to
medium-high and cook, stirring continuously, until the mushrooms have begun
to soften, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Taste and adjust the
seasonings.

Put the macaroni, broth, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a rice
cooker. Secure the lid and press the "cook" button.

Leave the rice cooker undisturbed until it switches to its "keep warm"
function, about 15 minutes. Carefully open the lid and stir in the cooked
mushrooms along with the cream and the cheese.

Secure the rice cooker lid again. Press the "cook" button and continue
cooking until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the bottom of the
mixture is lightly browned, about 10 minutes longer. If you'd like even
crustier results, cook for up to 5 minutes longer.

Open the rice cooker. Spoon the mixture directly from the rice cooker onto
individual serving plates; or, if you prefer, carefully invert the macaroni
and cheese onto a serving platter. Serve immediately.

(c) 2009 WOLFGANG PUCK WORLDWIDE, INC. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA
SERVICES, INC.

-a-

Mar 2, 2010, 7:11:41 PM3/2/10

> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 13:41:27 -0800, "-a-" <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In a rice cooker, as opposed to a crockpot, the water is
> > heated to a rapid boil and then after water is cooked out (probably
> > some kind of barometer or something) it automatically switches to a
> > setting to keep it warm (theoretically for a while).
>
> Actually, it's a sensor.
> http://www.phy.cuhk.edu.hk/phyworld/iq/cooker/cooker_e.html

That's a great website. As I don't understand physics at all, this makes me
feel a little less stupid when the explanation fits into my little right
side brian.

-a-

Mar 2, 2010, 7:12:49 PM3/2/10

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

Yup. The last time I cooked for more than two was way back in the college
type/budget days.