Leg of Lamb

Edward B. Medeiros

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
Hi Cooks
I have an urge to eat Lamb. Can anyone give me a good recipe

Cryambers

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
"Edward B. Medeiros" ed...@ma.ultranet.com wrote:

>Hi Cooks
> I have an urge to eat Lamb. Can anyone give me a good recipe

This is a wonderful recipe for preparing leg of lamb.

pat

Lamb with Raspberry Sauce
Source: Ellen Helman, _The Uncommon Gourmet_
8 Servings

6 pounds leg of lamb
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 large garlic clove, crushed
2 cups dry red wine
1/2 cup seedless red raspberry jam
1/2 cup orange juice

Pour 1 cup of red wine over the lamb. Season the leg with salt, pepper, and
garlic, rubbing the spices into the meat. Let marinate for at least 2 hours.
While the lamb is marinating, prepare the sauce. Stir together the raspberry
jam, orange juice, and 1/2 cup red wine in a small bowl.
When ready to roast the meat, preheat the oven to 450°F. Remove the lamb from
the marinade to a roasting pan, reserving the marinade.
Place the lamb in the hot oven for 15 minutes to sear the meat, sealing in the
juices. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F, pour the marinade over the roast,
and continue to bake for 1 1/2 hours, or 15 minutes per pound. After roasting
for 20 minutes at 350°, pour the raspberry sauce over the lamb and continue to
baste the leg every 15 to 20 minutes. It may be necessary to add an additional
1/2 cup of red wine if you find you do not have sufficient sauce.
When the lamb is done, remove to a platter, let sit for 10 minutes before
carving. Serve with the pan juices.
[posted and mailed]

--
I'm not responsible for what other people think I know.
--R.P. Feynman

RMi1013934

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
In article <89qvc1$t1a$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>, "Edward B. Medeiros"
<ed...@ma.ultranet.com> writes:

>Hi Cooks
> I have an urge to eat Lamb. Can anyone give me a good recipe

This is delicious !!

Roast Leg of Lamb in the Style of Bordeaux

1 Leg of lamb ( about 5 pounds)
2 large cloves of garlic, cut into thin slices
1 teasp coarse salt
1/2 teasp freshly ground pepper
2 Tablespoons chopped shallots
2 Tablespoon fat
3/4 cup chicken stock
2 Tablespoons peanut oil
3/4 cup red wine vinegar

Trim off excess fat from lamb, leaving a thin layer of fat.
make small incisions all over the lamb, insert garlic slices.
Rub meat with salt and pepper, coat with oil. massage into meat. Refrigerate,
loosely covered with plastic wrap. 2 hours before roasting, remove from
refrigerater, preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place lamb in large open roasting
pan, Set rack on upper middle shelf,roast lamb , fat side up 25 minutes. Remove
from oven, let lamb relax 30 minutes.
Meanwhile in a sauce pan, combine vinegar, and shallots, bring to a boil.
simmer slowly about 20 minutes, strain.
Degrease roasting pan, add vinegar solution and 1/2 cup water to the pan. Lower
oven tempto 350.Return meat to oven, roast 30 minutes, baste with juices every
five minutes.
Remove lamb from oven, reserve pan juices, mix with chicken broth, season,
slice lamb and serve with the shallot sauce.
I usually make double the recipe for the shallot sauce. This recipe gives you
a nice rare lamb, not the overcooked stuff you will often find.
Rosie

HELEN PEAGRAM

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
Note these are untried

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Aromatic Lamb
Categories: Lamb
Yield: 8 servings

1 Leg of lamb (about 4 lbs)
3 lb Potatoes (about 5 Ounce
Each)
Lemon (may be doubled)
Honey
Olive oil
Butter
Rosemary, thyme & oregano

Put the leg of lamb into a large roasting pan. Bruise the leaves of 2
or 3 sprigs of rosemary and sprinkle them over the meat. Add plenty
of pepper and 1 tablespoon honey. Rub the mixture into the meat with
your hands. Then rub half a lemon over the joint, squeezing the juice
on to the meat as you do so. Do not add any salt. Leave to marinate
for 4 to 24 hours.

Peel and quarter the potatoes, then arrange them in a single layer
round the lamb. Squeeze lemon juice over the potatoes -- use at least
half a lemon, or up to one and a half lemons for a strong citrus
flavour. Carefully pour 1/4 pint water into a corner of the roasting
pan, then sprinkle over the potatoes and lamb about 2 tablespoons
chopped fresh rosemary, at least 1 teaspoon each fresh chopped thyme
and oregano, and some salt and pepper. Drizzle on 1-1/2 teaspoons
honey and 1 tablespoon olive oil, then dot with 1 oz butter. Bake at
425 F (220 C) gas mark 6 for a further 1 to 1-1/4 hours. The
ingredients will become gilded and will burnish to a rich brown in
places. Lift the meat and turn the potatoes occasionally, and if
necessary, add a little boiling water to the pan to prevent drying
out.

Source: Philippa Davenport in "Country Living" (British), May 1987.
Typed for you by Karen Mintzias

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Barbecued Leg of Lamb
Categories: Lamb
Yield: 8 servings

2 c Wine, dry red
2/3 c Oil, salad
2 Garlic cloves; mashed
2 sm Onions; minced
1 ts Mustard, dry
1 ts Salt
1 ts Pepper
1/2 ts Nutmeg, ground
8 cl Whole
2 tb Parsley; chopped
6 lb Leg of lamb; boned & rolled

Combine all ingredients except the meat. Place leg of lamb in a flat
pan and pour marinade over it. Cover, nad marinate in refrigerator
overnight or for several hours, turning meat occasionally. Place on
spit according to manufacturer's directions and place over hot coals
when heat registers 350 degrees. Attach the motor and cook lamb at
350 degrees for 1-3/4 to 2 hours. Baste with marinade frequently
while cooking. Remove from spit when done and slice for serving.

SOURCE: Southern Living Magazine, November 1972.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Basil-Stuffed Lamb Roast
Categories: Lamb
Yield: 12 servings

3/4 c Chopped onion
1/3 c Chopped celery
2 cl Garlic, minced
1/4 c Olive oil
2 Beaten eggs
10 oz Frozen chopped spinach,
Thawed
1/4 c Snipped parsley
3 tb Fresh snipped basil
1/4 ts Dried marjoram, crushed
1/4 ts Pepper
6 c Plain croutons
1/2 c Water
1/4 c Grated parmesan cheese
1 5-7 pound legg of lamb,
Boned and butterflied
1 ts Dried rosemary, crushed
Sprigs of Fresh mint (opt)
Sprigs of fresh marjoram
(op

For stuffing, cook the chopped onion, chopped celery, and minced
garlic in hot oil till tender but not brown. In a medium mixing bowl
stir together the eggs, spinach, parsley, basil, marjoram, and
pepper; add onion mixture. Stir in croutons and cheese. Drizzle with
water to moisten, tossing lightly. Set aside

If necessary, remove the fell (pinkish red paper-thin layer) from the
surface of meat. Pound meat to an even thickness. Sprinkle with
rosemary. Spread the stuffing over the roast. Roll up and tie meat
securely.

Place roast, seam side down, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
Insert a meat thermometer in the thickest potion of meat. Roast,
uncovered, in a 325 F oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or till meat
thermometer registers 150 F.

Let roast stand for 15 minutes before carving. Remove strings. If
desired, garnish with sprigs of fresh mint and sprigs of fresh
marjoram.

From: "Wayne T. Jones" <way...@mail.Aus

MMMMM

--
mo...@globalserve.net
"Edward B. Medeiros" <ed...@ma.ultranet.com> wrote in message

R. Barry Jones

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:39:28 -0500, "Edward B. Medeiros"
<ed...@ma.ultranet.com> wrote:

>Hi Cooks
> I have an urge to eat Lamb. Can anyone give me a good recipe

I have a few at my site. It's at :
http://www.therightside.demon.co.uk/cooking/

and search for the keyword "lamb".

I'm sure I have a recipe for Easter Roast Lamb, Honeyed Welsh lamb
etc.
Barry Jones
-----------------------
HOOKERY COOKERY! Currently contains Easter, Pancake, Welsh
and Barbecue recipes. Now allows you to search the recipes. Find it @
http://www.therightside.demon.co.uk/cooking/index.htm

dancertm

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
<ed...@ma.ultranet.com> wrote:

>Hi Cooks
> I have an urge to eat Lamb. Can anyone give me a good recipe

Here's my favoritie, taken from Julia Child's mastering the art of
french cooking and it's simple!:

2 TB soy sauce

1/2 cup dijon mustard

1 clove garlic (I use 2) mashed

1 tsp rosemary ground

1/4 tsp ground ginger

2 TB olive oil

Mix all things together until it becomes a paste, like mayo. Then
brush it all over the Lamb. Place in refrigerator for a few hours, the
longer the better. Then place on a RACK (very important so the lamb
does not sit in it's own drippings, thats what makes Lamb pungent to
some people) and bake at 350 until done. I like slight pink in middle.

Try this one, does not over power lamb but has a nice added flavor.

Phil Seybold

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
"R. Barry Jones" wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:39:28 -0500, "Edward B. Medeiros"
> <ed...@ma.ultranet.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Cooks
> > I have an urge to eat Lamb. Can anyone give me a good recipe

Try out www.lambchef.com for lots of good sheepy stuff.

Ovinely yours

Phil

paschal

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00

<gulp>

You guys would *eat* a Lambie???

;-)

-P. (This reminds me of something, with Easter coming and all: my
friend loves rabbit, and we recently saw it in our grocery for the
first time - but it's horribly expensive! Why is something so small
and easy to husband, which reproduces like crazy, so expensive? Is
it because there's not much demand for it?)

Harry A. Demidavicius

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
On Sat, 4 Mar 2000 19:44:29 -0500, paschal <pas...@wam.umd.edu>
wrote:

What's a "Lambie"?
Rabbit farming economics make as much sense as the Aussies & NZ'ers
being able to land in their frozen lamb cheaper than the guy farming
30 miles up the road from Calgary.
Harry Demidavicius

Kaari Jae

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
paschal wrote:

> <gulp>
>
> You guys would *eat* a Lambie???
>
> ;-)
>
> -P. (This reminds me of something, with Easter coming and all: my
> friend loves rabbit, and we recently saw it in our grocery for the
> first time - but it's horribly expensive! Why is something so small
> and easy to husband, which reproduces like crazy, so expensive? Is
> it because there's not much demand for it?)

Actually it was tried about 15 odd years ago in Finland. Nice fatty
rabbits, very tasty actually. But alas, at that time there was not much
demand for them. Guess they forgot to teach people how to cook it.
Rabbits are also somewhat costly to slaughter since they're rather
small.

Kaari
Please remove the Seattle before you reply. Thank you :)

"Our minds are like our stomachs;
they are whetted by the change of their food,
and variety supplies both with fresh appetites."
Quintilian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -

Alan Zelt

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
"Edward B. Medeiros" wrote:

> Hi Cooks
> I have an urge to eat Lamb. Can anyone give me a good recipe

This one is somewhat different, but you may like it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Leg of Lamb cooked in hay (Gigot d'agneau cuit dans le foin)

Recipe By : Cuisine Minceur' by Michel Guérard
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dinner French
Lamb Main Dish
Meats

1 small leg of milk-fed lamb on the bone(3lb)
7 tablespoons water
salt -- pepper
2 large handfu hay
1 sprig thyme
half a bayleaf
1 sprig wild thyme
12 tablespoons gravy from a previously roasted leg of
lamb(or fresh tomato sauce)
1 teaspoon tarragon
2 mint leaves

1. Preheat the oven to 425F. Put a layer of hay in the bottom of the
casserole, flavour it with thyme, bayleaf and, if you can obtain it,
wild thyme. Place the leg of lamb, seasoned with salt and pepper, on
top, and cover it over with another handful of hay. Moisten the hay
with seven tablespoons of water, cover the casserole, and cook for forty
minutes in the oven.

2. Meanwhile put the chopped tarragon and mint leaves into the gravy
(from a leg of lamb eaten previously, skimmed of all the fat, and
reheated).

3. Bring the lamb to the table in the casserole, still surrounded with
hay.

4. Take it out, and carve it into fine slices. Arrange the slices on
the hot serving dish and serve with the herb-flavoured gravy or fresh
tomato sauce in a separate sauceboat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : vegetable purées.

--
alan

Eliminate FINNFAN on reply.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the
people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Alan Zelt

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
"R. Barry Jones" wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:39:28 -0500, "Edward B. Medeiros"
> <ed...@ma.ultranet.com> wrote:

>Hi Cooks
> I have an urge to eat Lamb. Can anyone give me a good recipe

As it is getting on towards Easter, my thoughts turn to the wonderful
lamb from Pauillac. From the owner of Ch Lynch Bages, comes his
recollections from growing up.

Agneau de Pauillac
A story of the Pauillac Lamb

by Jean-Michel CAZES

When I was 10 or 12 years old, my grandfather used to take me to
seeCadis the shepherd at his home in Messadis, in the pine forest. We
woulddrive there in our pre-war Peugeot 201, take the Hourtin road in
Saint-Laurent, then turn right toward Larousse. The dirt track became
narrower until we finally arrived in Messadis : at the end of the world
in the middle of the forest. There was a house, a large sheep fold...
and a shepherd, or "moutonnier" as we say locally.

Old man Cadis was tall, fat, red in the face and unshaven. He smelled
strongly of greasy wool and always wore a long cloak down to his feet.
My grandfather spoke to him in dialect - they were both from the
Pyrenees - and that annoyed me a great deal because I very much wanted
to know what they said. Families had already stopped speaking dialect
among themselves for some time by then.

People said that old man Cadis was rich. He had woods in the very best
places, and, of course, vines. He could sit still for days on end
knitting innumerable scarves and was better than anyone else at training
sheep dogs. He had two hundred sheep.

In winter, after the vintage, Cadis left Messadis with his flock to go
to Pauillac, and settled down in our sheep fold, in the middle of the
vines, behind the large alfalfa field. This meant that the meadows in
the heath could rest all winter long, while the ewes grazed on the grass
growing between the vine rows in Pauillac. But when the lambing season
came, towards the month of December, the ewes stayed in the sheep fold.
This was because my grandfather, like other winegrowers in the region,
allowed grown-up sheep to eat grass and clean up the earth... while
adding their natural fertilizer. However, he refused to let young lambs
loose among the carefully trained vines.

When night fell, it was time to look after the litter, feed the animals
hay and look after sick or lame sheep. It was also the time to find each
baby lamb and put it with its mother. When ten lambs are born on the
same day, it is impossible for ewes to find their own little ones
without help from the shepherd. Old man Cadis's intimate knowledge
of his flock seemed magical to everyone who watched him.

Pauillac lambs were (and still are) born in Pauillac, Saint-Julien,
Saint-Estèphe, and Margaux. They are light in weight and drink only
mother's milk, and no other food whatsoever, for 60 days. Their flesh is
slightly pinkish white, very tender, and rich. Their special flavor
comes from the grass they eat, with an inimitable taste, reminiscent of
filberts. You can tell the quality by the roundness of the kidneys,
which must be plump and fleshy, and by the firmness of the layer of fat
that surrounds them. The right kidney is said to be always much better
protected than the left one..... This is meat for a celebration, for a
luxurious meal that has nothing in common with 100 day-old lamb, (in
fact, young sheep) which is heavier, and fed with industrial
by-products, grain, grass, and roots, as well as its mother's milk.

We eat Pauillac lamb from Christmas to Pentecost, on Sunday or holidays,
when the family is all together or friends come over. For me, the
simplest preparation is the best : the baron (saddle and hind legs),
roasted in its own juices, served with baked potatoes or very small
flageolets (shell beans) and maybe a few cèpes (wild boletus
mushrooms). However, the front cuts of the lamb make excellent stews,
and "sanquette" or lamb's blood cooked in a frying pan with rice, a few
bacon bits, garlic and parsley is also quite delicious.

Pauillac lamb is to be found in the finest restaurants : in the Médoc,
of course, at Cordeillan Bages in Pauillac or at the more modest Lion
d'Or in Arcins. This fine meat is also served in Bordeaux at Jean-Marie
Amat's Le Saint-James and at the Tupiña, owned by chef Jean-Pierre
Xiradakis, who dedicates a great deal of time and energy to
promoting this fine product from the Gironde. Pauillac lamb is also on
the menu at at le Gravelier (chef Yves Gravelier), le Chapon Fin (chef
Francis Garcia) and Les Plaisirs d'Ausone (chef Philippe Gauffre). In
Paris, Alain Dutournier is an ardent defender of Pauillac lamb at the
Carré des Feuillants. It is also served at Taillevent, Grand Véfour, Le
Trou Gascon, Fouquet's, Le Bistro and many other quality establishments.

Jill McQuown

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
Kaari Jae wrote in message <38C1F123...@hem1.passagen.se>...

>paschal wrote:
>>
>> <gulp>
>>
>> You guys would *eat* a Lambie???
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> -P. (This reminds me of something, with Easter coming and all: my
>> friend loves rabbit, and we recently saw it in our grocery for the
>> first time - but it's horribly expensive! Why is something so small
>> and easy to husband, which reproduces like crazy, so expensive? Is
>> it because there's not much demand for it?)
>
>Actually it was tried about 15 odd years ago in Finland. Nice fatty
>rabbits, very tasty actually. But alas, at that time there was not much
>demand for them. Guess they forgot to teach people how to cook it.
>Rabbits are also somewhat costly to slaughter since they're rather
>small.
>
>Kaari
>--
Prepare rabbit as you would chicken... they're pretty much interchangeable
in cooking. I marinated the rabbit in white wine and some lemon juice
first, but with domestically raised (farmed) rabbits, it's really not
necessary since they don't taste "gamey".

Jill

Jill McQuown

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
paschal wrote in message ...

><gulp>
>
>You guys would *eat* a Lambie???
>
>;-)

Hmmm, got lambie's shoulder steaks in the freezer :-)

>-P. (This reminds me of something, with Easter coming and all: my
>friend loves rabbit, and we recently saw it in our grocery for the
>first time - but it's horribly expensive! Why is something so small
>and easy to husband, which reproduces like crazy, so expensive? Is
>it because there's not much demand for it?)

Probably because there aren't too many domestic rabbit farms (that's just a
guess). They sell it frozen, not fresh, at my grocery store. Use rabbit as
you would chicken.

Jill

Cyrit

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00

THIS... is why I come to RFC. Year after year. Taking all the crap from
people who think they own this part of the universe. (RFC Elite , and the
wannabes.)

To a simple question on Lamb, you get not just a story, but a feeling,
and a wonder about food and the human condition.

Like Wow!

Thanks Alan.

On Sun, 05 Mar 2000 07:34:18 GMT, Alan Zelt
<alzelt...@worldnet.att.net> masterminded the following incredible
lines :

**>"R. Barry Jones" wrote:
**>>
**>> On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:39:28 -0500, "Edward B. Medeiros"
**>> <ed...@ma.ultranet.com> wrote:
**>
[...]

Email : cyrit
Where : @mindspring
Tail end : .com

Fluffie

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00

> paschal wrote in message ...
> >

> ><gulp>
> >
> >You guys would *eat* a Lambie???
> >
> >;-)
> >
> Hmmm, got lambie's shoulder steaks in the freezer :-)
>
> >-P. (This reminds me of something, with Easter coming and all: my
> >friend loves rabbit, and we recently saw it in our grocery for the
> >first time - but it's horribly expensive! Why is something so small
> >and easy to husband, which reproduces like crazy, so expensive? Is
> >it because there's not much demand for it?)

Actually raising rabbits can be a pain in the touchie (sp). We had one doe
who hated to be handled. She also didn't like mating and would go after the
buck. We had to wear leather gloves to protect our fingers. She would sit
in the back of her cage and stamp her back foot and charge. We named her
Killer.

Fluffie

Cuchulain Libby

Mar 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/8/00

Fluffie <flu...@agalis.net> wrote in message

> Actually raising rabbits can be a pain in the touchie (sp). We had one
doe
> who hated to be handled. She also didn't like mating and would go after
the
> buck. We had to wear leather gloves to protect our fingers. She would
sit
> in the back of her cage and stamp her back foot and charge. We named her
> Killer.
>
> Fluffie

I had a doe I had to knock on the head with a piece of pipe before I could
reach in her cage to clean hers ears, etc. Mean, mean rabbit. Tried mating
her once, same thing happened. Thing is she was bigger than most of the
bucks. Mean rabbit.

-Cuchulain