What is "crumble-in"? (Appalachian dish)

leno...@yahoo.com

Jul 21, 2006, 12:26:54 PM7/21/06
It comes in a bowl and that's all I know.

Lenona.

PastaLover

Jul 21, 2006, 9:07:14 PM7/21/06
leno...@yahoo.com wrote:
> It comes in a bowl and that's all I know.
>
> Lenona.

I think it's a fruit desert, with the crusty topping "crumbled in" on
the top, and then baked.

debbi...@aol.com

Jul 22, 2006, 12:42:14 AM7/22/06

My grandpa, who was from Georgia, used to take day old corn bread and
crumble it into buttermilk. This was considered a treat. It was quite
common in the rural south.

SD

Jul 22, 2006, 3:48:26 PM7/22/06

The crumblin "recipes" (actually more like commentary) describe it as
day old cornbread crumbled up into buttermilk - These comments were all
found in Texas and Georgia cookbooks.

SD

Message has been deleted

Virginia Tadrzynski

Jul 24, 2006, 10:15:20 AM7/24/06

"L, not -L" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote in message

> On 22-Jul-2006, "SD" <west...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > The crumblin "recipes" (actually more like commentary) describe it as
> > day old cornbread crumbled up into buttermilk - These comments were all
> > found in Texas and Georgia cookbooks.
> >
> > SD
>
> mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm; I haven't had that in years. I'm originally from
Kentucky
> and that is what my mother did with left-over cornbread; the next day for
> lunch, she'd crumble it in a glass and pour milk over it. My grandmother
> preferred buttermilk in hers. Oh man, what a trip down memory lane; a
big
> ole pot of ham hock and beans, served with cornbread for dinner.
Cornbread
> and milk with lunch (maybe even for breakfast too, but I mostly remember
it
> at lunch)
>
> --
If you are having the hocks with green beans and cornbread, are you
crumbling your cornbread in the pot likker?
-ginny
-rural NC originally

Message has been deleted