Frijoles Charros [recipe]

1 view

Ellen Smith

Jan 3, 2001, 6:11:41 PM1/3/01
Named after the rough and tough Mexican cowboys this dish is the south
of the border version of what USAians oftentimes call Ranch Beans.

Frijoles Charros

1 to 2 onions, minced
2 tablespoons lard
3 cups cooked pinto beans
4 to 6 slices bacon, minced
1 slice ham, diced (optional)
1/2 cup chorizo or hot Italian sausage
1 16-ounce can tomatoes, drained and chopped
6 serrano chiles, minced, or to taste
1 tablespoon comino (cumin)
salt to taste

Add onions and lard to pinto beans and cook over medium heat 5
minutes, stirring occasionally. in another skillet, fry bacon, ham
and chorizo. Add to beans with tomatoes, chiles and spices. Heat
thoroughly. Puts a lot of pizzazz into plain pinto beans. Makes
5 to 6 cups.

There ya go Trish!

Ellen

Agnes7777

Jan 4, 2001, 11:37:48 AM1/4/01
Here's another recipe for Charro Beans that I found in Shayne Fischer's "Wholly
Frijoles!":

Charro Beans
(Charro beans are served whole in their cooking juices)

1/2 pound pinto or pink beans
1/2 chopped onion
2 minced garlic cloves
6 cups water
1 jalapeno or anaheim chile pepper
1/2 pound lean cooked ham, cubed
1 cup salsa
salt and pepper, to taste

Combine beans, onion, garlic and water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
Lower heat, cover pot and let the beans simmer for about 2 hours or until
tender. Cut slits in the sides of the jalapeno pepper and add it and the other
remaining ingredients to the beans. Cook uncovered for another 20 minutes over
low heat.

Agnes

playbtrs

Jan 4, 2001, 5:03:23 PM1/4/01
Thanks guys!!! I don't know how you found it, better search engine
than mine. Appreciate your help!!
trish

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/