Excess Tomatoes.

olga...@hotmail.com

Sep 1, 2008, 2:42:50 PM9/1/08
Greetings,

I have planted several variaties of tomatoes, and they are producing
like weeds. My neighbors don't care for them because they have the
same problems. Same with the cukes (actually they are worse,)

I have time to can, and I guess I can make a sauce and freeze it. Any
other suggestions? Especially with the Cukes?

Sheldon

Sep 1, 2008, 2:48:15 PM9/1/08

I have the same problem. I've been donating to a golf club restaurant.

Steve Y

Sep 1, 2008, 3:03:11 PM9/1/08
All my full sized tomatoes got hit by the weather/diseases so all I have
is a reasonable sized crop of cherry tomatoes.

In previous years I have reduced the excess down to a purée for
freezing, adding hot peppers to some to make an instant chili base.

No ideas about the cucumbers apart from pickling them

val189

Sep 1, 2008, 3:03:17 PM9/1/08
On Sep 1, 2:42 pm, olgast...@hotmail.com wrote:

Wish I had your problem. My plants yielded maybe a dozen toms this
summer -

How about donating them to nearby restaurants? Put in 'free to good
home" bin outside local thrift store?

The Cook

Sep 1, 2008, 4:22:19 PM9/1/08

Donate them to a food kitchen or homeless shelter.

olga...@hotmail.com

Sep 1, 2008, 3:28:21 PM9/1/08

I guess they don't call them Jersey tomotoes for nothing : )

Message has been deleted

Sheldon

Sep 1, 2008, 5:07:58 PM9/1/08
aem wrote:
> I posted this link last week to an L.A. Times story with recipes for
> Bloody Mary mix, tomato soup, and tomato sauce. � �http://tinyurl.com/5lvcw9
>
> If you don't have the time to keep up with the ripening tomatoes don't
> forget you can just put them in the freezer right off the vine. �It
> destroys the texture, of course, but if you're going to make sauce or
> soup that doesn't matter. �The bonus is that the skin slips right off
> when you thaw them. �Volume probably makes this impractical for the
> long term, but as a short-term buyer of some time it's quite
> handy. � �

Unless they're romas and the like you're not going to make sauce, you
really can't make sauce from salad tomatoes, they're mostly water,
skin, and seeds. You really can't cook with salad tomatoes, you
can't even use salad tomatoes to make tomato juice, and salad tomatoes
are mostly what folks grow in their home gardens. If you're gonna
freeze salad tomatoes you'd be better off tossing them on the compost
pile because there is no better use for frozen salad tomatoes. I must
have enough tomatoes to fill like ten home size freezers. I do much
better giving them to a local restaurant... I get paid later.

enigma

Sep 1, 2008, 5:16:42 PM9/1/08
Sheldon <PENM...@aol.com> wrote in
oups.com:

just because you're too damn lazy to deal with non-Roma
tomatoes doesn't make them unsuitable for cooking, juicing,
making sauce or whatever.
"salad" tomatoes are those golf ball size things, not quite
full size tomatoes & not cherry tomatoes. not a lot of home
gardeners grow them. they grow tomatoes or cherry tomatoes.
of course, you're the last word on what home gardeners do,
aren't you?
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Sheldon

Sep 1, 2008, 6:07:56 PM9/1/08
pinhead <eni...@evil.net> wrote:
> wrote

> > aem wrote:

> >> I posted this link last week to an L.A. Times story with
> >> recipes for Bloody Mary mix, tomato soup, and tomato
> >> sauce.http://tinyurl.com/5lvcw9

> >> If you don't have the time to keep up with the ripening
> >> tomatoes don't forget you can just put them in the freezer
> >> right off the vine. It destroys the texture, of course,
> >> but if you're going to make sauce or soup that doesn't
> >> matter. The bonus is that the skin slips right off when
> >> you thaw them. Volume probably makes this impractical
> >> for the long term, but as a short-term buyer of some time
> >> it's quite handy.
>
> > Unless they're romas and the like you're not going to make
> > sauce, you really can't make sauce from salad tomatoes,
> > they're mostly water, skin, and seeds. � You really can't
> > cook with salad tomatoes, you can't even use salad tomatoes
> > to make tomato juice, and salad tomatoes are mostly what
> > folks grow in their home gardens. �
>
> just because you're too damn lazy to deal with non-Roma
> tomatoes doesn't make them unsuitable for cooking, juicing,
> making sauce or whatever.
> �"salad" tomatoes are those golf ball size things, not quite
> full size tomatoes & not cherry tomatoes. not a lot of home
> gardeners grow them. they grow tomatoes or cherry tomatoes.
> �of course, you're the last word on what home gardeners do,
> aren't you?

Salad tomatoes have not a whit to do with size... could be anything
from a grape tomato to a beefsteak... salad tomatoes encompass all
those juicy ones folks eat fresh, in salads and sandwiches... most all
the various tomatoes are salad tomatoes. Only a relatively few types
are cooking tomatoes, those have a much greater proportion of solids
to liquid. It's patently obvious that you've never grown tomatoes,
it's also obvious you've never even read a seed catalog.

enigma

Sep 1, 2008, 7:10:36 PM9/1/08
Sheldon <PENM...@aol.com> wrote in
oups.com:

> Salad tomatoes have not a whit to do with size... could be
> anything from a grape tomato to a beefsteak... salad
> tomatoes encompass all those juicy ones folks eat fresh, in
> salads and sandwiches... most all the various tomatoes are
> salad tomatoes. Only a relatively few types are cooking
> tomatoes, those have a much greater proportion of solids
> to liquid. It's patently obvious that you've never grown
> tomatoes, it's also obvious you've never even read a seed
> catalog.

bzzzt.
last year i grew 48 varieties of tomatoes, 6 plants of each.
everything from current tomatoes to 2 pounders. 4 of those
were paste types (none Romas because i already know i don't
like Romas).
this year i narrowed it down to only 24 types, from one to 4
plants of each, except the Bear Claws, which is my current
favorite paste type.i have 6 of them. the only commercially
available tomato i have growing this year is Yellow Jubilee,
because my son likes them & they produce well even under the
tender care of an 8 year old...
there are three major tomato types: paste, canning & salad.
most regular size garden tomatoes are canners. that's what
most people grow, although the cherry & grape tomatoes are
close.
do you read seed catalogs, or do you just buy what your local
Wal-Mart gets in 6 packs? that seems about your level of
gardening ability & fits with your anti-mail order tirades.

Shag

Sep 1, 2008, 7:11:16 PM9/1/08
On Sep 1, 5:16 pm, enigma <eni...@evil.net> wrote:
> Sheldon <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote innews:39f3d02a-fba1-487c...@k13g2000hse.googlegr

> oups.com:
>

> > aem wrote:

> >> I posted this link last week to an L.A. Times story with
> >> recipes for Bloody Mary mix, tomato soup, and tomato
> >> sauce.http://tinyurl.com/5lvcw9

Wow, I'm very new to the group but already I've read two posts from
people who are obviously assholes. You're the second one, in case
you're wondering. :-) Maybe I'll fit right in here. But in case I
wasn't already clear, you come off like a real dipshit.

Serene Vannoy

Sep 1, 2008, 7:19:39 PM9/1/08
olga...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have planted several variaties of tomatoes, and they are producing
> like weeds. My neighbors don't care for them because they have the
> same problems. Same with the cukes (actually they are worse,)

Wow, I wish I had that problem.

> I have time to can, and I guess I can make a sauce and freeze it. Any
> other suggestions? Especially with the Cukes?

I'd head to the Ball Blue Book or rec.food.preserving and find some
pickle recipes. I sure would love to have an "excess" of tomatoes and
cucumbers right now.

Serene

--
"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

sf

Sep 1, 2008, 7:36:59 PM9/1/08
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 23:10:36 +0000 (UTC), enigma <eni...@evil.net>
wrote:

>4 of those were paste types (none Romas because i already know i don't
>like Romas).

Kewl! I don't know squat about tomatoes. Hubby doesn't like them raw
and I can't grow them in this fog anyway. Up to this very moment, I
thought Roma was the only paste tomato. I use Romas in salads because
I don't care for the wateriness of other type.

What are the names of the paste tomatoes you grew?

TIA

Mae West

Sheldon

Sep 1, 2008, 7:44:37 PM9/1/08
On Sep 1, 7:10�pm, enigma <eni...@evil.net> wrote:
> Sheldon <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote innews:756548ba-9741-446c...@z66g2000hsc.googlegr

> oups.com:
>
> > Salad tomatoes have not a whit to do with size... could be
> > anything from a grape tomato to a beefsteak... salad
> > tomatoes encompass all those juicy ones folks eat fresh, in
> > salads and sandwiches... most all the various tomatoes are
> > salad tomatoes. �Only a relatively few types are cooking
> > tomatoes, those have a much greater proportion of solids
> > to liquid. �It's patently obvious that you've never grown
> > tomatoes, it's also obvious you've never even read a seed
> > catalog.
>
> �last year i grew 48 varieties of tomatoes,

L I A R!

Janet Wilder

Sep 1, 2008, 8:21:20 PM9/1/08
olga...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have planted several variaties of tomatoes, and they are producing
> like weeds. My neighbors don't care for them because they have the
> same problems. Same with the cukes (actually they are worse,)

Your neighbors are producing like weeds?!

> I have time to can, and I guess I can make a sauce and freeze it. Any
> other suggestions? Especially with the Cukes?

Pickle the cukes.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Janet Wilder

Sep 1, 2008, 8:22:25 PM9/1/08

How about calling the local food pantry or homeless shelter? I'm certain
they'd be delighted to have fresh produce.

Jo Anne

Sep 1, 2008, 9:20:19 PM9/1/08
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:42:50 -0700 (PDT), olga...@hotmail.com wrote:

>I have time to can, and I guess I can make a sauce and freeze it. Any
>other suggestions? Especially with the Cukes?

I find that it's easier and cheaper to buy canned tomatoes when they
are on sale, so I don't can my excess any more. The canned tomatoes we
get in Canada don't contain anything except tomatoes and salt, so I
don't have to worry about HFCS or anything like that. I stock up when
I can get a 26-oz can for $0.77.

Last year, I put whole roma tomatoes in the freezer in Ziploc bags.
Worked nicely, except when you thaw them out and try to take the skins
off, a lot of flesh clings to the skin so you don't get much yield.

This year, I'm gonna dip the tomatoes in boiling water, skin them,
maybe cut them in half or quarters, *then* put them in the Ziplocs and
suck the air out of the bags. I'll get the same quality of product (I
think) as home canned tomatoes. And it shouldn't take too much time,
what with not having to sterilize jars and do the water bath.

Jo Anne, who made 12 pints of chili sauce today. Took pretty much the
whole day, too.

Sheldon

Sep 1, 2008, 9:35:21 PM9/1/08
On Sep 1, 9:20�pm, Jo Anne <joanne.sla...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Zactly right... really doesn't make sense to mess with canning when
you can buy 26 ounce tins tor 77 cents.

enigma

Sep 1, 2008, 9:36:59 PM9/1/08
sf wrote in news:bruob4labfjghinru...@4ax.com:

> What are the names of the paste tomatoes you grew?

Bear Claw, Amish Paste, San Marzano & San Marzano 2, & a
yellow paste that i forgot the name of.

Paco

Sep 1, 2008, 9:39:02 PM9/1/08

"Sheldon" <PENM...@aol.com> wrote in message

What a philanthropist! He donates to a golf club restaurant. Muffy and
Biff must be so grateful.

enigma

Sep 1, 2008, 9:39:19 PM9/1/08
Sheldon <PENM...@aol.com> wrote in
oups.com:

> On Sep 1, 7:10�pm, enigma <eni...@evil.net> wrote:
>> �last year i grew 48 varieties of tomatoes,
>
> L I A R!

want my list? i have notes on how they did as well, not that i
need to prove anything to a small person like yourself :)

enigma

Sep 1, 2008, 9:42:30 PM9/1/08
Shag <trav...@gmail.com> wrote in
ups.com:

> Wow, I'm very new to the group but already I've read two
> posts from people who are obviously assholes. You're the
> second one, in case you're wondering. :-) Maybe I'll fit
> right in here. But in case I wasn't already clear, you
> come off like a real dipshit.

only to Shelly. i enjoy playing with him, except that he
gives up to easily. oh well.

Saerah Gray

Sep 1, 2008, 9:45:13 PM9/1/08
Shag <trav...@gmail.com> fnord

> On Sep 1, 5:16 pm, enigma <eni...@evil.net> wrote:
>> Sheldon <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote

>> innews:39f3d02a-fba1-487c-a9fb-6f1bd33a
> 8d...@k13g2000hse.googlegr

Maybe you should read some back-log of rfc before you post again. This
is not meant in a bitchy way, just a helpful suggestion. It's common
knowledge here that Sheldon is a bit or a lot of an ass, depending on
the situation, heh.

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL

Nancy Young

Sep 1, 2008, 10:12:03 PM9/1/08

"aem" <aem_...@yahoo.com> wrote

>If you don't have the time to keep up with the ripening tomatoes don't
>forget you can just put them in the freezer right off the vine. It
>destroys the texture, of course, but if you're going to make sauce or
>soup that doesn't matter. The bonus is that the skin slips right off
>when you thaw them. Volume probably makes this impractical for the
>long term, but as a short-term buyer of some time it's quite
>handy.

That's exactly what I've been doing with my piles of romas,
as they have ripened, I toss them into a bag I have in the
freezer. Red rocks.

nancy

koko

Sep 1, 2008, 10:13:41 PM9/1/08

Just freeze the tomatoes whole. They won't be good for salads but will
make great sauces or additions to casseroles, soups, etc...

Sorry, I have no great ideas for the cukes.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 8/29

sf

Sep 1, 2008, 11:13:19 PM9/1/08
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 01:42:30 +0000 (UTC), enigma <eni...@evil.net>
wrote:

>Shag <trav...@gmail.com> wrote in

>ups.com:
>
>> Wow, I'm very new to the group but already I've read two
>> posts from people who are obviously assholes. You're the
>> second one, in case you're wondering. :-) Maybe I'll fit
>> right in here. But in case I wasn't already clear, you
>> come off like a real dipshit.
>
> only to Shelly. i enjoy playing with him, except that he
>gives up to easily. oh well.

It's pretty hard to sustain an interest in any thread when you're
reading with google groups. BTDT

sf

Sep 2, 2008, 12:05:59 AM9/2/08
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 22:12:03 -0400, "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Will they be part of your arsenal when you play Capture the Fort this
winter?

:)

bulka

Sep 2, 2008, 12:08:07 AM9/2/08
On Sep 1, 10:13 pm, koko <k...@letscook.com> wrote:

Apologies up front - I''m going to ramble and probably have no useful
advice.

My Dad used to put in a lot of tomatoes. All Beefsteak. If he
couldn't appreciate quality at least he knew size.

Of course, they all came at the same time, and as fast as he tried to
give them away, most of them ended up rotting. A real shame.

He's 90 now. Doesn't plant so I do. Tried to be smarter. Seven
different heirlooms, so they come ripe when they feel like it. Mr
Stripey, Early Girl, German Johnson. (yes, I sometimes buy them
because I like the names). I forget the names of the cherry and
plums.

He's used to the old plan, so as soon as he sees one red one, thinks
it's time to pluck the whole crop, so I end up with a sill full of
fruit that would be perfectly happy on the vine for another week.
Whatever. Planted more for him than the tomatoes anyway.

But, back to the OP's excess. Two years ago, dealing with Dad's
Beefsteak bonanza I learned to can. Quickly got bored, even though
the heat and the timing and the steam were kinda fun.

You could dry them. They become a different thing. Or freeze them
- a last resort, I think.

Our pear trees bear only every couplathree years, but that was their
year, too. Somewhere on this intertube I found a recipie for a tomato
pear jam that turns out to be fantastic on ham or other salty meat.

Canning is more labor than skill or art or fun, but not really that
hard. If everything is ripe today, a couple of days in the kitchen
will give you tomatoes all winter and plenty of jars to experiment
with. Pasta sauce - boring.

With my moderated yield (even though the pears are back), I probably
won't do the full on canning factory. Maybe some small batch
chutneys.

And the cukes - pickle 'em. There are a hundred ways

bulka

Giusi

Sep 2, 2008, 3:24:20 AM9/2/08
"Sheldon" <PENM...@aol.com> ha scritto nel messaggio Unless they're romas
and the like you're not going to make sauce, you
really can't make sauce from salad tomatoes, they're mostly water,
skin, and seeds.

Wrong again.

Giusi

Sep 2, 2008, 3:28:46 AM9/2/08
"Janet Wilder" <kellie...@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

>> I have planted several variaties of tomatoes, and they are producing
>> like weeds.

> Pickle the cukes.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

I had a hard time timing my cucumbers with my dill. I finally made a big
jar of kosher dill pickles this morning, but then I made another of halved
green San Marzano tomatoes.

koko

Sep 2, 2008, 7:24:55 PM9/2/08
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 21:08:07 -0700 (PDT), bulka
<working.art...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:42:50 -0700 (PDT), olgast...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> >Greetings,

One snippy snippy

>> >I have planted several variaties of tomatoes, and they are producing
>> >like weeds. My neighbors don't care for them because they have the
>> >same problems. Same with the cukes (actually they are worse,)
>>
>> >I have time to can, and I guess I can make a sauce and freeze it. Any
>> >other suggestions? Especially with the Cukes?

Two snippy snippy

I enjoyed the story bulka. That's nice that you planted the tomatoes
more for your aged father rather than for the crop.

Your reaped much more than you sowed.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com

updated 9/01

Nancy2

Sep 3, 2008, 4:06:04 PM9/3/08
On Sep 1, 2:03 pm, val189 <gwehr...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2:42 pm, olgast...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
>
> > I have planted several variaties of tomatoes, and they are producing
> > like weeds. My neighbors don't care for them because they have the
> > same problems. Same with the cukes (actually they are worse,)
>
> > I have time to can, and I guess I can make a sauce and freeze it. Any
> > other suggestions? Especially with the Cukes?

> Wish I had your problem.  My plants yielded maybe a dozen toms this
> summer -
>
> How about donating them to nearby restaurants?  Put in 'free to good
> home" bin outside local thrift store?

My church always has a produce table available in fellowship hall
where they serve coffee after services - people are free to bring or
take produce.

And the food banks are always appreciative.

N.

Mike

Sep 3, 2008, 11:17:16 PM9/3/08

"Sheldon" <PENM...@aol.com> wrote in message
On Sep 1, 2:42?pm, olgast...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have planted several variaties of tomatoes, and they are producing
> like weeds. My neighbors don't care for them because they have the
> same problems. Same with the cukes (actually they are worse,)
>
> I have time to can, and I guess I can make a sauce and freeze it. Any
> other suggestions? Especially with the Cukes?

I have the same problem. I've been donating to a golf club restaurant.

Hey everybody needs a friend