Garbage Can Smoker and some Ribs

Joe

May 22, 2010, 9:58:25 PM5/22/10

zxcvbob

May 22, 2010, 10:04:37 PM5/22/10
On 5/22/2010 8:58 PM, Joe wrote:
> http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=893716&catid=1
>
> Cheap, but it works.

I've been doing that for 20 years. Still have the original garbage can
(I thought it would have rusted out by now)

Bob

Larry

May 22, 2010, 11:08:54 PM5/22/10
There are some health issues associated with heating galvanized steel.
Might be worth looking into that before you eat the food.
Message has been deleted

ceed

May 23, 2010, 8:36:10 AM5/23/10
On Sat, 22 May 2010 22:29:16 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>> Cheap, but it works.
> Never use a galvanized garbage can (which is what that is) to smoke
> food.
> Spend the $50 on an El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet (ECBG) which costs
> the same and very little assembly required. And best of all, it's
> not poisonous and will last 10x as long.

I've got one of them Brinkmanns. And even now after I got my big 'ol cast
iron pit I use the Brinkmann now and then being surprised how capable it
is of great cookin'.

--
//ceed

Big Jim

May 23, 2010, 8:40:04 AM5/23/10
Wrong, Squirts.
If you will notice there is no contact with the fire to the galvanize, it
needs a high temp before the galvanize burns and offgasses.
There have been a lot of pit covered with roofing tin. As long as it
doesn't burn the coating it is fine.
I have built several garbage can smokers in my 70 years and had no
problem.
The problem is with folks with not enough knowledge and who may have read
something on the internet.
Burning galvanize can be hazardous to your health
Big Jim
"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

> On Sat, 22 May 2010 21:58:25 -0400, Joe wrote:
>
>> http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=893716&catid=1
>>
>> Cheap, but it works.
>
> Never use a galvanized garbage can (which is what that is) to smoke
> food.
>
> Spend the $50 on an El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet (ECBG) which costs
> the same and very little assembly required. And best of all, it's
> not poisonous and will last 10x as long.
>
> -sw

piedmont

May 23, 2010, 9:14:43 AM5/23/10
On Sat, 22 May 2010 21:58:25 -0400, Joe wrote:

> http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?
option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=893716&catid=1

> Cheap, but it works.

Been there done that and also same thing with a 55 gallon drum. Works
great and fun to make.

--
regards, piedmont ~ the practical bbq'r!

http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

piedmont

May 23, 2010, 9:20:35 AM5/23/10
On Sun, 23 May 2010 08:40:04 -0400, Big Jim wrote:

> Wrong, Squirts.
> If you will notice there is no contact with the fire to the galvanize,
> it needs a high temp before the galvanize burns and off gasses.

snip
> Big Jim

snip

BJ
Exactly! zinc is not an issue as long as above is complied with.

The Ranger

May 23, 2010, 10:40:31 AM5/23/10
Joe <j...@blowes.coma> wrote in message

What's the gauge in the fourth photo atop the welder's glove?

The Ranger

piedmont

May 23, 2010, 10:49:01 AM5/23/10

looks like an automatic temperature controller, stoker or bbq guru.

brooklyn1

May 23, 2010, 10:54:21 AM5/23/10
Larry wrote:

Absolutely...

Message has been deleted

blake murphy

May 23, 2010, 2:50:29 PM5/23/10
On Sun, 23 May 2010 12:17:00 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 23 May 2010 08:40:04 -0400, Big Jim wrote:
>

>> Wrong, Squirts.
>> If you will notice there is no contact with the fire to the galvanize, it
>> needs a high temp before the galvanize burns and offgasses.
>> There have been a lot of pit covered with roofing tin. As long as it
>> doesn't burn the coating it is fine.
>> I have built several garbage can smokers in my 70 years and had no
>> problem.
>> The problem is with folks with not enough knowledge and who may have read
>> something on the internet.
>> Burning galvanize can be hazardous to your health
>> Big Jim
>

> Well, Jim, every one of the AFB regulars has mentioned that
> galvanized is bad, bad, bad...
>
> <http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=group%3Aalt.food.barbecue+galvanized&btnG=Search&sitesearch=>
>
> But you've never said a peep until now.
>
> So I'll not take my chances and if I ever do feel the need to build
> a trash can smoker, will contact a metallurgist before I do. Last
> thing I need is an errant chunk of glowing wood coming into contact
> with the smoker and burning the zinc coating (but that would never
> happen, right?)
>
> -sw

i thought all that there smoked meat was gonna give you cancer anyway.

your pal,
blake

notbob

May 23, 2010, 3:12:54 PM5/23/10

A gauge to measure the number of years of life lost due to heating
galvanized steel?

nb

Mark Thorson

May 23, 2010, 3:27:01 PM5/23/10
blake murphy wrote:

> i thought all that there smoked meat was gonna give you cancer anyway.

The risk from smoked meats is dwarfed by the risk
from nitrate- and nitrite-cured meats. Curing salts
are the enemy, not so much smoke. Also, the polyamines
from grilling are a small risk compared to cured meats.

dsi1

May 23, 2010, 3:46:53 PM5/23/10
On 5/23/2010 2:40 AM, Big Jim wrote:
> Wrong, Squirts.
> If you will notice there is no contact with the fire to the galvanize, it
> needs a high temp before the galvanize burns and offgasses.
> There have been a lot of pit covered with roofing tin. As long as it
> doesn't burn the coating it is fine.
> I have built several garbage can smokers in my 70 years and had no
> problem.

I have smoked stuff in a garbage can using a can laid on it's side and
an hibachi. I thought I was doing something new. Damn! :-)

Message has been deleted

brooklyn1

May 23, 2010, 4:48:10 PM5/23/10
On Sun, 23 May 2010 12:17:00 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Sun, 23 May 2010 08:40:04 -0400, Big Jim wrote:
>

>> Wrong, Squirts.
>> If you will notice there is no contact with the fire to the galvanize, it
>> needs a high temp before the galvanize burns and offgasses.
>> There have been a lot of pit covered with roofing tin. As long as it
>> doesn't burn the coating it is fine.
>> I have built several garbage can smokers in my 70 years and had no
>> problem.
>> The problem is with folks with not enough knowledge and who may have read
>> something on the internet.
>> Burning galvanize can be hazardous to your health
>> Big Jim
>

>Well, Jim, every one of the AFB regulars has mentioned that
>galvanized is bad, bad, bad...
>
><http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=group%3Aalt.food.barbecue+galvanized&btnG=Search&sitesearch=>
>
>But you've never said a peep until now.
>
>So I'll not take my chances and if I ever do feel the need to build
>a trash can smoker, will contact a metallurgist before I do. Last
>thing I need is an errant chunk of glowing wood coming into contact
>with the smoker and burning the zinc coating (but that would never
>happen, right?)
>
>-sw

Not only are the fumes from zinc electroplate hazardous so is mere
handling it... and a lot of galvanize also contains cadmium, making it
far more dangerous. Everytime I see tradesmen holding cadmium plated
sheet metal screws in their mouth I cringe. A lot of people install
galvanived chain link fence and their rugrats climb on it all day
every day, and then constantly put their fingers in their mouth. By
the time they're eight years old it's discovered they're learning
disabled, and later find a plethora of diseases. Zoos have known for
years not to use gavanized. Folks complain about the products made in
China but the products made in the US are far worse.

piedmont

May 23, 2010, 6:04:06 PM5/23/10
On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:48:10 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sun, 23 May 2010 12:17:00 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 May 2010 08:40:04 -0400, Big Jim wrote:
>>
>>> Wrong, Squirts.
>>> If you will notice there is no contact with the fire to the

>snip

the temperature at which zinc melts is 787.15F according to wikipedia,
hence as Big Jim stated as long as the coals don't touch the zinc there
couldn't be a danger.

Nunya Bidnits

May 23, 2010, 6:14:02 PM5/23/10
In news:-didnVairY3aAWXW...@giganews.com,

You have to de-galvanize the can first.

Ed Pawlowski

May 23, 2010, 10:00:35 PM5/23/10

"piedmont" <n...@spam.net> wrote in message

> On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:48:10 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 May 2010 12:17:00 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
>> wrote:

>>snip
>
> the temperature at which zinc melts is 787.15F according to wikipedia,
> hence as Big Jim stated as long as the coals don't touch the zinc there
> couldn't be a danger.

Maybe, but it does not have to melt to cause harm. It merely has to be
ingested. If you get chips off the sides falling onto the meat. Or zinc
oxide over time. My guess is that there is not a problem, but I'm not
taking the chance.

Also from Wikipedia
The free zinc ion is also a powerful Lewis acid up to the point of being
corrosive. Stomach acid contains hydrochloric acid, in which metallic zinc
dissolves readily to give corrosive zinc chloride. Swallowing a post-1982
American one cent piece (97.5% zinc) can cause damage to the stomach lining
due to the high solubility of the zinc ion in the acidic stomach.[3]

There is evidence of induced copper deficiency at low intakes of 100–300 mg
Zn/d. The USDA RDA is 15 mg Zn/d. Even lower levels, closer to the RDA, may
interfere with the utilization of copper and iron or to adversely affect
cholesterol.[4]

There is also a condition called the zinc shakes or "zinc chills" that can
be induced by the inhalation of freshly formed zinc oxide formed during the
welding of galvanized materials.[5]

piedmont

May 24, 2010, 8:30:48 AM5/24/10

Ed,
I hear what your saying and have to say that from personal experience
IMHO I think this zinc thing is over stated as long as the fuel isn't on
the zinc coated metal, as a child, my family had occasional get
together's and there was always a brand new zinc coated garbage can
cooking away over flames, filled with beer and water as well as cabbage,
sausage, etc for great boiled dinners, never did anyone get ill. I'm not
telling anyone to do this nor telling anyone to make a cooker out of a
garbage can, but i do think it can be done and done safely and for sure
it is important to state the possible dangers and to know what your doing
ahead of time. So I think these discussions are good and create awareness
of the issues. as with all things, my advice to all is to proceed with
knowledge and take measures to stay safe and healthy.

tutall

May 24, 2010, 10:34:12 AM5/24/10

No, you are not.

>and have to say that from personal experience
> IMHO I think this zinc thing is over stated as long as the fuel isn't on
> the zinc coated metal, as a child, my family had occasional get
> together's and there was always a brand new zinc coated garbage can
> cooking away over flames,
> filled with beer and water as well as cabbage,
> sausage, etc for great boiled dinners, never did anyone get ill.

Great reasoning, "didn't get enough poisoning to become ill or die, so
it's all good."

> I'm not
> telling anyone to do this nor telling anyone to make a cooker out of a
> garbage can, but i do think it can be done and done safely

You "believe", you are not thinking, you are believing. Very different
things.

> of the issues. as with all things, my advice to all is to proceed with
> knowledge and take measures to stay safe and healthy.

And what measures would those be? Other than "don't use galvanized
steel with food" ?

Knowing what you know now, would you use a galvanized steel can and
cook up a batch of BBQ for a class of pre-schoolers? A large family
gathering? Why the heck would you?

Shawn Martin

May 24, 2010, 10:48:31 AM5/24/10

We always used respirators when we welded anything with Zinc on it. I
remember some news articles from the 70s about people poisoning
themselves using a refrigerator with galvanized shelves as a smoker.

piedmont

May 24, 2010, 10:51:49 AM5/24/10
On Mon, 24 May 2010 07:34:12 -0700, tutall wrote:

Until someone comes up with a definitive study performed by a reputable
group other than welders can get ill by breathing fumes during welding on
zinc coated meatl. i doubt i'll change my mind that the cooker mentioned
here isn't safe to use. i fail to respond to wives tales and hysteria.

Shawn Martin

May 24, 2010, 10:57:22 AM5/24/10
>>> There is evidence of induced copper deficiency at low intakes of 100�300

Hey! the pink corn tastes good too.

blake murphy

May 24, 2010, 11:24:33 AM5/24/10

as long as it's something.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

May 24, 2010, 11:25:27 AM5/24/10
On Sun, 23 May 2010 15:13:46 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 23 May 2010 14:50:29 -0400, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> i thought all that there smoked meat was gonna give you cancer anyway.
>

> We don't care about long term effects. But the zinc fumes are
> pretty immediate and can ruin a good meal.
>
> -sw

i like a man with a practical turn of mind.

your pal,
blake

Ed Pawlowski

May 24, 2010, 10:33:20 PM5/24/10

"Shawn Martin" <pain...@starband.net> wrote

> We always used respirators when we welded anything with Zinc on it. I
> remember some news articles from the 70s about people poisoning themselves
> using a refrigerator with galvanized shelves as a smoker.

Thee is not all that much galvanized metal there, but the food was in
contact with the shelves. Smokers run at low temperatures too. The
smoker in question does not have physical contact. I guess it depends on
your risk tolerance.