REQUEST: (international) British Sandwiches

Rebecca Radnor

Jan 31, 1995, 6:47:01 PM1/31/95

OK folks, you may have just noticed that I posted a large number of
American sandwich recipies that I have. These tend to be inspired by
Jewish/ Italian/ Mexican influences.

What I am now seeking are recipies for is the types of sandwiches that I
found common in England (in sandwich shops -- these are common in London--,
and places like Marks and Spencer's or Harrod's food courts) that are
totally absent from the US diet. These include but are not limited to:
poached salmon with dill, Cheese & Chutney, Sandwiches inspired by Indian
cooking, Prawn Salad, etc.

I've searched in all the sandwich cookbooks I could find, but these are
biased to the American palat. I would appreciate any SERIOUS responces.

If anyone knows of any other types of sandwiches common in other countries
that you just don't find in the US, for example in Japan they sell Yakisoba
sandwiches and croquet sandwiches, please send those along too.

--
Rebecca Radnor \\ I know everything,
Northwestern University \\ I know nothing,

Anne Elizabeth Callery

Feb 6, 1995, 2:05:10 AM2/6/95
Rebecca Radnor (jap...@nwu.edu) wrote:
: What I am now seeking are recipies for is the types of sandwiches that I

: found common in England (in sandwich shops -- these are common in London--,
: and places like Marks and Spencer's or Harrod's food courts) that are
: totally absent from the US diet. These include but are not limited to:
: poached salmon with dill, Cheese & Chutney, Sandwiches inspired by Indian
: cooking, Prawn Salad, etc.

Not as unique as your examples, but I always liked the classic
bacon and egg buttie (sandwich) with brown sauce.

I worked in an office in England for a while, and we would always
send out for sandwiches for lunch. Everyone thought I was *so*
weird because I liked turkey *and* cheese together on my sandwich.

Another thing I liked about British sandwiches is the bap. Don't
get your sandwich on plain old sliced bread -- get a bap. It's
a roll, kind of like a big hamburger bun, but way better.

(In case this looks way off to some people, these aren't London
sandwiches -- I was in Lancashire -- regional differences?)

Anne

--

Anne Callery
Palo Alto CA USA
cal...@leland.stanford.edu
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Iain G Liddell

Feb 6, 1995, 4:23:59 AM2/6/95
In article <D3AnE...@bonkers.taronga.com>,

Rebecca Radnor <jap...@nwu.edu> wrote:

>What I am now seeking are recipies for is the types of sandwiches that I
>found common in England (in sandwich shops -- these are common in London--,
>and places like Marks and Spencer's or Harrod's food courts) that are
>totally absent from the US diet. These include but are not limited to:
>poached salmon with dill, Cheese & Chutney, Sandwiches inspired by Indian
>cooking, Prawn Salad, etc.

One sandwich which had a period of popularity a while back in such emporia
was a "Brie, Grape and Walnut". Thin slices of the cheese on each piece of
bread, with halved seedless grapes and chopped walnut in the middle. It
had to be good-quality wholemeal bread, though - any attempt to use white
or coloured blotting-paper just made the cheese taste bitter.

Several years ago, I had to lead a walking group over Pendle Hill, and at
5 a.m. had no sandwiches. In desperation, I ransacked the leftovers from
the previous night's dinner and stuffed it into a Granary roll. Since
then, Lamb Korma sandwiches have been a real delicacy for me. Simply
butter the cut bread-roll and heap in the meat and sauce. Could have done
with that yesterday as we scrabbled around Banstead Heath in the fog
photographing Coal Duty bollards.

As British sausages come back out of the Dark Ages, most of the new ones
(or the rediscovered old ones) make excellent sandwich-fodder, both hot
and cold. Best cooked slowly, then split along the length, with mustard
or horseradish sauce to taste. Either a good white bread or a Granary
will do.

Iain

re...@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu

Feb 6, 1995, 8:37:42 AM2/6/95

I have a request as well. How about those delicious Italian
sandwiches (tramezzinis?? sorry about the bad Italian) sold in bars?
Yummy!! One night I ate about six of them, each in a different
Venetian bar. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can find any international
ones in my books. Thanks.

Deirdre Reid

Alvin Givens

Feb 7, 1995, 2:12:30 PM2/7/95
Rebecca Radnor (jap...@nwu.edu) wrote:

: What I am now seeking are recipies for is the types of sandwiches that I

: found common in England (in sandwich shops -- these are common in London--,
: and places like Marks and Spencer's or Harrod's food courts) that are
: totally absent from the US diet. These include but are not limited to:
: poached salmon with dill, Cheese & Chutney, Sandwiches inspired by Indian
: cooking, Prawn Salad, etc.

I took the Intercity (British Rail) from King's Cross in London to Edinburgh
return with stops at Grantham, York, Darlington, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne,
and Berwick-Upon-Tweed. It's a wonderful way to see the countryside.

Anyway, in the Buffet (pronounced "Buffy") car, they had a "Prawn and
Cucumber with Mayonnaise on Bloomer with Sun-Dried Tomatoes". The prawn were
small cooked shrimp, and a bloomer is large-format sliced bread. The
description on the wrapper is an accurate recipe of the contents.

Wallace Venable

Feb 7, 1995, 5:25:08 PM2/7/95

>What I am now seeking are recipies for is the types of sandwiches that I
>found common in England

How about 'cress?' Take bread, butter it, put on watercress.
Simple enough (even for an American.)
(I would add a simley if this wasn't s.c.b)

Liz Beaumont Bissell

Feb 8, 1995, 10:13:20 AM2/8/95

Cucumber is the classic, of course. Remeber to cut them straight
across. Diagonally is vulgar.

Liz B. B.

Katrine Kirk

Feb 8, 1995, 1:30:59 PM2/8/95
Rebecca Radnor (jap...@nwu.edu) wrote:

: If anyone knows of any other types of sandwiches common in other countries

: that you just don't find in the US, for example in Japan they sell Yakisoba
: sandwiches and croquet sandwiches, please send those along too.

I don't know if you would consider our "smoerrebroed" to be sandwiches,
since they are always openface. But here are some that are traditional
to Denmark, and they are usually served on very dark rye bread, sliced
thin, and spread with butter or pig fat. The list of ingredients is
given in the order that you layer them on. If a place is serving "good"
smoerrebroed, the sandwich topping will generously cover the bread, ren-
dering the actual bread slice invisible. Smoerrebroed is eaten with a
knife and fork, but the less elaborately decorated sandwiches may be
picked up with the hands (never the herring, though). A person who works
in a restaurant or cafeteria making this traditional food is known as
a "smoerrebroedsjomfru" (sandwich virgin).

Sild (pickled herring)
----
Rye bread spread with fat or butter
2 - 3 pieces of any pickled herring type
White onion rings

"Dyrlaegens natmad" (Veterinarian's midnight snack)
--------------------
Rye bread, spread with fat, sprinkled with coarse salt
Lettuce leaf (optional, not traditional)
1/2 - 1 cm layer of neatly sliced liver pate/paste (from pork liver & fat)
narrow stick of aspic down the length of the pate
a round slice of salted meat, sliced thin
white onion rings
sprig of cress

"Fiskefilet" (fillet of fish)
-------------
Rye bread, spread with butter
Lettuce leaf (optional)
1 breaded fillet of plaice, fried (not deepfried) in margarine
Remoulade (mayonnaise-based yellow relish containing capers & onion)

Flaeskesteg (Pork Roast)
-----------
Rye bread, spread with fat
1 thin slice cold or slightly warm pork roast, with crackling
1 or 2 T sweet red cabbage (stewed with fruit juice and sugar)

Rejemad (shrimp sandwich)
-------
Thick slice of white sourdough bread flavoured with caraway seeds
Butter
Lettuce (a must on this one)
100 - 150 gr. Greenland shrimps
1 T mayonnaise
Twist or boat of lemon
Sprig of dill

Spegepoelse (salami)
-----------
Rye bread, spread with fat
Lettuce (optional)
2 slices salami
Remoulade
Crispy fried onion bits

Aeggemad (egg)
--------------
Rye bread, spread with butter
Lettuce (a must)
1 hardboiled egg, thinly sliced, laid like tiles (discard the ends)
mayonnaise
small tomato wedge
cress

I don't know if this was what you were looking for, but
these "sandwiches" are certainly loaded with tradition,
and served with very little variation all over the country.
Incidentally, Denmark has no tradition whatsoever for take-
out places, except as far as these "smoerrebroed" places go.

Katrine Kirk
k...@cbs.dk

Wallace Venable

Feb 8, 1995, 1:10:17 PM2/8/95
In article <D3AnE...@bonkers.taronga.com> jap...@nwu.edu (Rebecca Radnor) writes:
>Subject: REQUEST: (international) British Sandwiches

As I reflect on this, I think there is a more important point to
consider than what the "recipie" (UK "receipt") for a "common" sandwich
would be. In fact, "American sandwich" frequently should not be translated
as "sandwich" at all.

>OK folks, you may have just noticed that I posted a large number of
>American sandwich recipies that I have. These tend to be inspired by
>Jewish/ Italian/ Mexican influences.

The "American sandwich" of true mexican influence is the BURRITO
sold in the US, not something between slices of raised bread.

>What I am now seeking are recipies for is the types of sandwiches that I
>found common in England (in sandwich shops -- these are common in London--,
>and places like Marks and Spencer's or Harrod's food courts) that are
>totally absent from the US diet. These include but are not limited to:
>poached salmon with dill, Cheese & Chutney, Sandwiches inspired by Indian
>cooking, Prawn Salad, etc.

These are not, in fact "common" sandwiches, but are Sloan Ranger
fare. The "common sandwich" which the working man eats is more likely a
"sausage roll," a "ploughman's," or a "pastie." It is my impression
that British sandwiches, in the American sense of something you might take
to work or school to eat, is not, in fact something common.
The British worker or student expects to get "dinner" in the staff
canteen, not eat something cold out of a tin box.
In the other sense, something quick in bread, the "common sandwich"
in Britain today is purchased at McDonalds, (or can one now get it at "
Subway?") just as it is throughout the world.

Helen Lyons

Feb 8, 1995, 7:03:14 PM2/8/95
In article <VENABLE.37...@coe.wvu.edu>, VEN...@coe.wvu.edu
(Wallace Venable) wrote:

> >What I am now seeking are recipies for is the types of sandwiches that I
> >found common in England (in sandwich shops -- these are common in London--,
> >and places like Marks and Spencer's or Harrod's food courts) that are
> >totally absent from the US diet. These include but are not limited to:
> >poached salmon with dill, Cheese & Chutney, Sandwiches inspired by Indian
> >cooking, Prawn Salad, etc.
>
> These are not, in fact "common" sandwiches, but are Sloan Ranger
> fare. The "common sandwich" which the working man eats is more likely a
> "sausage roll," a "ploughman's," or a "pastie." It is my impression
> that British sandwiches, in the American sense of something you might take
> to work or school to eat, is not, in fact something common.
> The British worker or student expects to get "dinner" in the staff
> canteen, not eat something cold out of a tin box.
> In the other sense, something quick in bread, the "common sandwich"
> in Britain today is purchased at McDonalds, (or can one now get it at "
> Subway?") just as it is throughout the world.

It is true that my mother prefered me to eat " a decent hot meal" when i
went to school (YUK) but many of my friends bought a packed lunch which
usually consisted of sandwiches...popular ones were cheese and pickle,
marmite, banana, sandwich spread..(usually somehting fishy). These
sandwiches were made from thin, square slices of white bread. If you ask
for a round of sandwiches as a pub lunch, fashion in food dictates a
choice of white or brown bread..with a smattering of garnish which is
usually cress, a tomatoe wedge and a cucumber slice! London is a very
International place so you will find a place called "Pret a manger" which
sells the more substantial French stick..ie a sandwich made with half a
french stick..We didn't have them when I went to school(I'm 26).

Of one thing I am convinced..that eating sandwiches in Britain transends
the classes..from the cucumber sandwiches at a cricket match with their
crusts cut off to the doorsteps filled with luncheon meat in a
construction workers lunchbox...all brits eat sandwiches of some
description. My personal favourite is Marks and Spencer's chicken tikka!!
(pretty exotic eh?)

Regards

Helen.

Antigone M. Means

Feb 8, 1995, 9:12:37 PM2/8/95
I don't know how authentically British or how common this is, but
I remember when I was 15 I was in Bristol, England and we had stopped for
lunch, and I asked for a sandwich with no meat. What I got was slices of
tomato between two buttered pieces of white bread. It was surprisingly
delicious!

-Antigone

LizR

Feb 8, 1995, 4:29:17 PM2/8/95
In article <nancy-dooley...@uiowa.edu> nancy-...@uiowa.edu (Nancy Dooley) writes:
>I grew up on tomato sandwiches (almost)...also, radish or onion
>sandwiches...that's what comes from growing up on an Iowa farm.

That brings back memories! When I was a kid, we'd take tomatoes out of the
garden and slice them up and make sandwiches with tomato, very thin slices of
red onion, monterey jack cheese and Fritos (!) on buttermilk bread. Maybe a
teensy bit of mayo, but the tomatoes were so juicy you didn't need any
dressing.

I spent about 4 months in England and never really had a sandwich I liked.
They all seemed to be made of mysterious fish pastes or very small amounts of
veggies. I am used to pretty thick sandwiches so I never really got the hang
of it. Great Indian food though. I also spent a semester at Oxford. Out of
three meals a day for three months, we only had one meal where potatoes
weren't served. I have never seen so many potatoes in my life. The food
wasn't bad, it was just bland. Fortunately I had my trusty giant bottle of
Tabasco.

LizR

Paul Rhodes

Feb 9, 1995, 6:08:44 AM2/9/95
In article <VENABLE.37...@coe.wvu.edu> VEN...@coe.wvu.edu (Wallace Venable) writes:

> These are not, in fact "common" sandwiches, but are Sloan Ranger
>fare. The "common sandwich" which the working man eats is more likely a
>"sausage roll," a "ploughman's," or a "pastie."

Neither a sausage roll nor a pastie is any kind of sandwich, common or
otherwise. A ploughman's at least involves bread, but a true "ploughman's
lunch" is not a sandwich.

>It is my impression
>that British sandwiches, in the American sense of something you might take
>to work or school to eat, is not, in fact something common.

Packed lunches are quite common in Britain, particularly in schools. Where did
you get your impression? I'd demand a refund if I were you.

> The British worker or student expects to get "dinner" in the staff
>canteen, not eat something cold out of a tin box.

Most workers probably don't have a staff canteen.

> In the other sense, something quick in bread, the "common sandwich"
>in Britain today is purchased at McDonalds, (or can one now get it at "
>Subway?") just as it is throughout the world.

A McDonalds burger is not what most people would describe as a sandwich.
Technically, yes, it is a sandwich, but you wouldn't say "I'm going to
McDonalds for a sandwich". You might say "I'm going to the sandwich shop/Marks
and Sparks/my lunch box for a sandwich"

______________________________________________________paul....@liffe.com
"The trouble with the drink talking is that the drink knows too much"

marshallsay timothy

Feb 9, 1995, 9:09:49 AM2/9/95
In article <paul.rhodes....@liffe.com>,

Paul Rhodes <paul....@liffe.com> wrote:
>In article <VENABLE.37...@coe.wvu.edu> VEN...@coe.wvu.edu (Wallace
>Venable) writes:
>
>> These are not, in fact "common" sandwiches, but are Sloan Ranger
>>fare. The "common sandwich" which the working man eats is more likely a
>>"sausage roll," a "ploughman's," or a "pastie."
>
>Neither a sausage roll nor a pastie is any kind of sandwich, common or
>otherwise. A ploughman's at least involves bread, but a true "ploughman's
>lunch" is not a sandwich.
>
>>It is my impression
>>that British sandwiches, in the American sense of something you might take
>>to work or school to eat, is not, in fact something common.
>
>Packed lunches are quite common in Britain, particularly in schools.Where did
>you get your impression? I'd demand a refund if I were you.
>
>> The British worker or student expects to get "dinner" in the staff
>>canteen, not eat something cold out of a tin box.
>
>Most workers probably don't have a staff canteen.
>
>> In the other sense, something quick in bread, the "common sandwich"
>>in Britain today is purchased at McDonalds, (or can one now get it at "
>>Subway?") just as it is throughout the world.
>
>A McDonalds burger is not what most people would describe as a sandwich.
>Technically, yes, it is a sandwich, but you wouldn't say "I'm going to
>McDonalds for a sandwich".

You would here; McD's even use the term "sandwich" in their advertising.

>You might say "I'm going to the sandwich shop/Marks and Sparks/my lunch box
>for a sandwich"

That's precisely what I did (the M&S food-only store at Moorgate) each month
before I used up my monthly quota of Luncheon Vouchers. Most lunches after that
point were usually spent at the "Olde Watling".

Paul Rhodes

Feb 9, 1995, 10:04:01 AM2/9/95
In article <hlyons-0802...@med-pharm5.bu.edu> hly...@mbcrrc.bu.edu (Helen Lyons) writes:
>London is a very
>International place so you will find a place called "Pret a manger" which
>sells the more substantial French stick..ie a sandwich made with half a
>french stick..We didn't have them when I went to school(I'm 26).

Pret a Manger also sell a wide range of "normal" sandwiches (ie, slices of
bread with stuff in between). They have some particularly nice 'speciality
bread' (including Walnut bread and a cheese-enriched "Mediterranean" one)
French sticks are a fairly small part of their range.

I don't know if they are exactly "international" - I'd always assumed they
were an English company with a pretentious name (although Jutin Le Blanc does
sound a bit foreign, I suppose)

Nancy Dooley

Feb 9, 1995, 2:44:15 AM2/9/95
In article <3hbtml$d...@cwis.isu.edu> mean...@cwis.isu.edu (Antigone M. Means) writes:
>From: mean...@cwis.isu.edu (Antigone M. Means)
>Subject: Re: REQUEST: (international) British Sandwiches
>Date: 8 Feb 1995 19:12:37 -0700

> -Antigone

I grew up on tomato sandwiches (almost)...also, radish or onion
sandwiches...that's what comes from growing up on an Iowa farm.

Nancy Dooley

-- It doesn t do to leave a live Dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. --J.R.R.
Tolkien

Doug Weller

Feb 9, 1995, 3:33:59 PM2/9/95
In article <VENABLE.37...@coe.wvu.edu>,
VEN...@coe.wvu.edu (Wallace Venable) wrote:

> In article <D3AnE...@bonkers.taronga.com> jap...@nwu.edu (Rebecca Radnor) writes:
> >Subject: REQUEST: (international) British Sandwiches
>

> >What I am now seeking are recipies for is the types of sandwiches that I
> >found common in England (in sandwich shops -- these are common in London--,
> >and places like Marks and Spencer's or Harrod's food courts) that are
> >totally absent from the US diet. These include but are not limited to:
> >poached salmon with dill, Cheese & Chutney, Sandwiches inspired by Indian
> >cooking, Prawn Salad, etc.
>
> These are not, in fact "common" sandwiches, but are Sloan Ranger
> fare. The "common sandwich" which the working man eats is more likely a
> "sausage roll," a "ploughman's," or a "pastie." It is my impression
> that British sandwiches, in the American sense of something you might take
> to work or school to eat, is not, in fact something common.

Well, you can buy them almost everywhere you go now, including petrol
stations. And millions of children take sandwiches to school everyday
in the UK - not pasties or ploughman's or even very often sausage rolls.
(And peanut butter laced with strawberry 'jam' is sold in every supermarket
now, but not grape jelly, sigh).
Doug
--
Doug Weller | looking after uk.education.teachers,

Ruth Mastron @lone

Feb 9, 1995, 4:38:34 PM2/9/95

Marmite. Butter. Bread.

Ben Samman

Feb 9, 1995, 5:03:23 PM2/9/95
In article <hlyons-0802...@med-pharm5.bu.edu> hly...@mbcrrc.bu.edu (Helen Lyons) writes:
>Of one thing I am convinced..that eating sandwiches in Britain transends
>the classes..from the cucumber sandwiches at a cricket match with their
>crusts cut off to the doorsteps filled with luncheon meat in a
>construction workers lunchbox...all brits eat sandwiches of some
>description. My personal favourite is Marks and Spencer's chicken tikka!!
>(pretty exotic eh?)

YES!!This is EXCELLENT. Marks and Sparks have pretty good
sandwiches..Their Thai chicken thing is excellent also.

Ben.

Ray Dunn

Feb 10, 1995, 5:33:30 AM2/10/95
I don't know where all that rubbish about the British not eating sandwiches
came from - sandwiches lunches are endemic, whether carried from home
(otherwise known as "brown bagging", but not in the UK last time I looked) or
bought at the local sandwich shop, pub, or supermarket!

Sandwich shops (i.e. catering mainly to the lunch trade) are everywhere.

In Scotland, a sandwich is known colloquially as a "piece". Some of my
favourite pieces:

Egg mayonaise - A hard-boiled egg sliced on a finger roll, with salad cream -
yummy!

Cheese and beetroot!
Fried egg on a Scottish bread roll.
Ditto sausage - both links and round.
Cheese & tomato.

All of the above with the addition of hot chips (fries) - mmmmmmm!

Even the *name* "sandwich", if the story is true, comes from the Brit Lord
Sandwich who is said to have been the first to put a chunk of meat between two
slices of bread.

Ah well, time for lunch.....

---
Ray Dunn r...@ultimate-tech.com | Phone: (514) 954 9050
Ultimate Technographics Inc. | Phax : (514) 954 9057
Montreal. H3B 1X9 | Home : (514) 630 3749

Walter Gray

Feb 10, 1995, 5:56:27 AM2/10/95
In article <D3AnE...@bonkers.taronga.com>, jap...@nwu.edu (Rebecca Radnor) writes:

I am not really an authority on "things British", I always thought these
weird sandwich fillings were copies of American sandwiches. Especially
the idea of putting mayonaise in them (yuk! really!).

These sandwiches are totally unlike what people make for themselves at
home. They are usually only found in shops,and are mostly eaten by
secretaries, shop-workers etc. for lunch. With a few exceptions, they are
not "British Sandwiches" as such.

In other words, there are no real recipes, which is probably why you
couldn't find any. OTOH a Tunisian sandwich, that's different!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - disclaimers - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Paul Rhodes

Feb 10, 1995, 6:40:48 AM2/10/95
In article <3hd7nd$j...@umbc8.umbc.edu> tma...@umbc.edu (marshallsay timothy) writes:

>>A McDonalds burger is not what most people would describe as a sandwich.
>>Technically, yes, it is a sandwich, but you wouldn't say "I'm going to
>>McDonalds for a sandwich".

>You would here; McD's even use the term "sandwich" in their advertising.

They do here as well, at least on the price lists, but that wasn't really my
point: *we* don't call them sandwiches.

Ninette R Enrique

Feb 10, 1995, 9:15:34 AM2/10/95

Fastidious David with his neatly pressed shirts and colorful ties is back in
command of TASTE. Yeah!

Last night he did a show on sauerbraten. I am amazed how similar this
dish is to many filipino dishes. Is there some kind of Rhineland-P.I.
culinary connection? :)

Anyway, glad to have him back, neat as ever.

Ninette

Alvin Givens

Feb 10, 1995, 11:40:42 AM2/10/95
Walter Gray (wag...@taz.dra.hmg.gb) wrote:
: In article <D3AnE...@bonkers.taronga.com>, jap...@nwu.edu (Rebecca Radnor) writes:

: I am not really an authority on "things British", I always thought these

: weird sandwich fillings were copies of American sandwiches. Especially
: the idea of putting mayonaise in them (yuk! really!).

: These sandwiches are totally unlike what people make for themselves at
: home. They are usually only found in shops,and are mostly eaten by
: secretaries, shop-workers etc. for lunch. With a few exceptions, they are
: not "British Sandwiches" as such.

: In other words, there are no real recipes, which is probably why you
: couldn't find any. OTOH a Tunisian sandwich, that's different!

I've always thought that "sandwich" derived from the Earl of Sandwich, the
man whom Capt. Cook named the "Sandwich Islands" in honor of. What is the
legacy of the "sandwich", therefore? Is it anything consiting of foodstuff
inserted between or within bready material, including flakey pastry, etc?

Is there a gastro-historian among us who can enlighten and edify?

R.M. Brodie

Feb 10, 1995, 11:29:48 AM2/10/95
In article <19950209....@ramtops.demon.co.uk> dwe...@ramtops.demon.co.uk (Doug Weller) writes:
>From: dwe...@ramtops.demon.co.uk (Doug Weller)

>Subject: Re: REQUEST: (international) British Sandwiches
>Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 20:33:59 GMT

>In article <VENABLE.37...@coe.wvu.edu>,
> VEN...@coe.wvu.edu (Wallace Venable) wrote:

>> In article <D3AnE...@bonkers.taronga.com> jap...@nwu.edu (Rebecca Radnor) writes:
>> >Subject: REQUEST: (international) British Sandwiches
>>
>> >What I am now seeking are recipies for is the types of sandwiches that I
>> >found common in England (in sandwich shops -- these are common in London--,
>> >and places like Marks and Spencer's or Harrod's food courts) that are
>> >totally absent from the US diet. These include but are not limited to:
>> >poached salmon with dill, Cheese & Chutney, Sandwiches inspired by Indian
>> >cooking, Prawn Salad, etc.

Try adding sweet corn to your chicken and tuna salads, adding massive amounts
of horseradish sauce to your roast beef sandwich, or making a curry and
mayonnaise spread to go with a chicken salad.

some of my favorites!

-rachel

Nancy Dooley

Feb 10, 1995, 7:56:01 AM2/10/95
In article <3he3fb...@JAGUAR.ZOO.CS.YALE.EDU> samma...@cs.yale.edu (Ben Samman) writes:
>From: samma...@cs.yale.edu (Ben Samman)

>Subject: Re: REQUEST: (international) British Sandwiches
>Date: 9 Feb 1995 17:03:23 -0500

>In article <hlyons-0802...@med-pharm5.bu.edu> hly...@mbcrrc.bu.edu (Helen Lyons) writes:
>>Of one thing I am convinced..that eating sandwiches in Britain transends
>>the classes..from the cucumber sandwiches at a cricket match with their
>>crusts cut off to the doorsteps filled with luncheon meat in a

I'd think the crickets might have something to say about getting their crusts
cut off!!! :-) (whimper whimper...couldn't resist)

Wallace Venable

Feb 10, 1995, 3:41:20 PM2/10/95

>> It is my impression that British sandwiches, in the American sense of
>> something you might take to work or school to eat, .......

>Well, you can buy them almost everywhere you go now, including petrol

>stations ......

Why must the British adopt our worst ways...

-- a lover of pasties, sausage rolls,
and the Stilton ploughman's

marshallsay timothy

Feb 11, 1995, 11:30:29 AM2/11/95
In article <paul.rhodes....@liffe.com>,
Paul Rhodes <paul....@liffe.com> wrote:
>In article <3hd7nd$j...@umbc8.umbc.edu> tma...@umbc.edu (marshallsay timothy)
>writes:
>
>>>A McDonalds burger is not what most people would describe as a sandwich.
>>>Technically, yes, it is a sandwich, but you wouldn't say "I'm going to
>>>McDonalds for a sandwich".
>
>>You would here; McD's even use the term "sandwich" in their advertising.
>
>They do here as well, at least on the price lists, but that wasn't really my
>point: *we* don't call them sandwiches.

Nor do I.

Also, if you are striving to achieve new heights in blank looks, try to
explain the concept of a chip buttie to an American

marshallsay timothy

Feb 11, 1995, 11:40:00 AM2/11/95
In article <ray.84....@ultimate-tech.com>,

Ray Dunn <r...@ultimate-tech.com> wrote:
>I don't know where all that rubbish about the British not eating sandwiches
>came from - sandwiches lunches are endemic, whether carried from home
>(otherwise known as "brown bagging", but not in the UK last time I looked) or
>bought at the local sandwich shop, pub, or supermarket!
>
>Sandwich shops (i.e. catering mainly to the lunch trade) are everywhere.
>
>In Scotland, a sandwich is known colloquially as a "piece". Some of my
>favourite pieces:
>
>Egg mayonaise - A hard-boiled egg sliced on a finger roll, with salad cream -
>yummy!
>
>Cheese and beetroot!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You're the only other person I've ever encountered who likes this combination.
Let's start a newsgroup: how about alt.food.stained-shirt.pink-fingers?

William E James

Feb 11, 1995, 12:34:28 PM2/11/95
Ninette R Enrique <nr...@columbia.edu> writes:

>Anyway, glad to have him back, neat as ever.

I have come to the conclusion that the host is the head writer for TASTE.
Mr. Rosengarten's script is loaded with interesting detail. While Barbara
Kafka's lacked a similar appeal.

David prepares many more intermediate preperations, and thus has a much more
cogent demonstartion.

Best cooking show on TV anywhere.

Bill James

hillard pouncy

Feb 11, 1995, 12:53:04 PM2/11/95
In article
<Pine.SUN.3.91.95021...@merhaba.cc.columbia.edu>, Ninette
R Enrique <nr...@columbia.edu> wrote:

Yeah, it was great to have him back. Anybody know what happened backstage?

Sam Waring

Feb 12, 1995, 8:24:46 AM2/12/95
On 10 Feb 95 Alvin Givens just said this about that:

AG> I've always thought that "sandwich" derived from the Earl of Sand-
AG> wich, the man whom Capt. Cook named the "Sandwich Islands" in honor
AG> of.

The sandwich was named after John Montagu, fourth Earl of Sandwich
(d. 1792), who was notoriously addicted to gambling. The legend goes that
he would instruct his servants to bring him slices of meat placed between
two slices of bread, so he wouldn't have to stop playing cards to eat.

And yes, the dates are right for Captain Cook (d. 1779) to have named
the Sandwich Islands after that particular Earl of Sandwich.

* Sam Waring * Disclaimer: The Infomail Asso- *
* war...@ima.infomail.com * ciation doesn't necessarily agree *
* jco...@delphi.com * with my opinions and neither do I. *

... The cat who doesn't act finicky soon loses control of his owner.

Paul Rhodes

Feb 13, 1995, 5:01:05 AM2/13/95
In article <VENABLE.37...@coe.wvu.edu> VEN...@coe.wvu.edu (Wallace Venable) writes:

> Why must the British adopt our worst ways...

And here I was thinking sandwiches were a British invention...

_________________Joolz - she always works SO hard!____paul....@liffe.com

Conrad Longmore

Feb 13, 1995, 3:24:25 PM2/13/95
Of course, you're forgetting the all time great chip buttie. The
ingredients are as follows:

* Bread (two slices). Ideally, it should be thick cut, white and flabby
with no nutritional value whatsoever. None of this wholegrain muck.

* Chips. These should be as far from the ideal of the French Fry as
possible. A good chip should be half an inch thick and swimming in fat.
Lard is the best thing to cook chips in.

* Butter (not margarine). Or lard if preferred. Or dripping.

* Salt and vinegar (optional). Preferably lots of it.

* HP Sauce (yum!).

* Gravy (really only for die-hard northerners). At a pinch you could
substitute curry sauce (for the truly daring).

For the perfect balanced meal, you should ideally have a buttie in each hand.

--
/ Conrad Longmore / De Montfort University, / Tel: (01234) 351671 x273 /
/ IT Services / Bedford, United Kingdom / Fax: (01234) 351966 x377 /

Dick Jackson

Feb 13, 1995, 3:39:42 PM2/13/95

I remember the British Rail sandwich. Stored under glass in a fly blown
counter it was constructed of specially aged bread slices with a thin
smear of meat paste, and then crushed to almost two dimensional status by
a device developed in Darlington engine shed No. 3.

Ah the nostalgia!

Dick Jackson

Helen Trillian Rose

Feb 13, 1995, 5:35:36 PM2/13/95
AAN> == Aileen A Nelson <ane...@uoguelph.ca>

: Nor do I.

: Also, if you are striving to achieve new heights in blank looks, try to
: explain the concept of a chip buttie to an American

AAN> I tried that once...explaining what a chip buttie was. All I got
AAN> were looks of disbelief and a whole lot of "EEEEW that's groosssss"

Now that's not fair. Many a time I've sat down to scrumptious beans on
toast, only to have an American say "WHAT is THAT?". Most Americans, it
seems, feel that "Baked Beans" should be reserved for picnics, and then
only be cooked in big dutch ovens. Myself, I stick 'em [note by "em" I
don't mean those horrible things called "pork 'n beans" but I mean the
proper vegetarian beans] in a mug and put them in the microwave. The
microwave beeps and the toast pops up at about the same time. Add lots of
butter, and instant meal!

Chip butties. yum! I haven't had one since I was home last! Nobody makes
them like my Gran. *sigh*

--Helen
--
Helen Trillian Rose <hr...@kei.com, hr...@bu.edu>
Kapor Enterprises, Inc. Check out my homepage! -->

marshallsay timothy

Feb 13, 1995, 5:56:21 PM2/13/95
In article <3homro$s...@kei.com>, Helen Trillian Rose <hr...@kei.com> wrote:
>AAN> == Aileen A Nelson <ane...@uoguelph.ca>
>
> : Nor do I.
> : Also, if you are striving to achieve new heights in blank looks, try to
> : explain the concept of a chip buttie to an American
>
> AAN> I tried that once...explaining what a chip buttie was. All I got
> AAN> were looks of disbelief and a whole lot of "EEEEW that's groosssss"
>
>Now that's not fair. Many a time I've sat down to scrumptious beans on
>toast, only to have an American say "WHAT is THAT?". Most Americans, it
>seems, feel that "Baked Beans" should be reserved for picnics, and then
>only be cooked in big dutch ovens. Myself, I stick 'em [note by "em" I
>don't mean those horrible things called "pork 'n beans" but I mean the
>proper vegetarian beans] in a mug and put them in the microwave. The
>microwave beeps and the toast pops up at about the same time. Add lots of
>butter, and instant meal!

Microwaved beans on toast? By avoiding the slight singe on the pan, you
are missing out on half the joy.
"A slight singe" is NOT a small monkey.

>Chip butties. yum! I haven't had one since I was home last! Nobody makes
>them like my Gran. *sigh*

Chip butties *must* have tomato sauce on them, preferably Heinz

marshallsay timothy

Feb 13, 1995, 6:48:34 PM2/13/95
In article <3hof5p$o...@macondo.dmu.ac.uk>,

Conrad Longmore <c...@dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
>Of course, you're forgetting the all time great chip buttie. The
>ingredients are as follows:
>
>* Bread (two slices). Ideally, it should be thick cut, white and flabby
>with no nutritional value whatsoever. None of this wholegrain muck.
>
>* Chips. These should be as far from the ideal of the French Fry as
>possible. A good chip should be half an inch thick and swimming in fat.
>Lard is the best thing to cook chips in.
>
>* Butter (not margarine). Or lard if preferred. Or dripping.
>
>* Salt and vinegar (optional). Preferably lots of it.
>
>* HP Sauce (yum!).
>
>* Gravy (really only for die-hard northerners). At a pinch you could
>substitute curry sauce (for the truly daring).
>

>For the perfect balanced meal, you should ideally have a buttie in each hand.

I must have lived in Germany far too long: I love mayonnaise with chips.
Try it first though, *then* flame away!

Wallace Venable

Feb 13, 1995, 6:48:48 PM2/13/95

>> I don't know if [Pret a Manger] are exactly "international" - I'd
>> always assumed they were an English company with a pretentious name [...]

>Well, they (or at least a store by that name) were in central Sydney
>here in Australia for about a year. It closed a few months ago and
>was replaced by a similar store with a different name (Fast Fresh,
>if I recall correctly). I don't know what that may mean, nor whether
>Pret a Manger reopened somewhere else in the city. But that would
>certainly tend to suggest that they are pretty international.

Or that some wondering Australian doesn't fear a suite for trademark
infringement.

prie...@blade.wcc.govt.nz

Feb 13, 1995, 7:14:40 PM2/13/95

Around here you don't see cheese and betroot on its own, but you often get both
plus lettuce, tomato, meat etc (also on hamburgers).

One of my favourite sandwiches is marmite and chippies! YUM!

Rachel

Linda Fortney

Feb 13, 1995, 7:27:35 PM2/13/95
By Chip Buttie do you mean chips as in fried potatoes between two slices
of bread? You can't. You simply can't.

Two peoples divided by wildly different cuisines.
--
Linda Fortney

A. Grant

Feb 13, 1995, 2:51:29 PM2/13/95
Black pudding and fried egg. Your bread has to be up to it though.

Hugo Davenport

Feb 14, 1995, 12:00:39 AM2/14/95
lfor...@hamlet.umd.edu (Linda Fortney) wrote:

> By Chip Buttie do you mean chips as in fried potatoes between two slices
> of bread? You can't. You simply can't.

Just to reassure you, she didn't mean that. What she meant was chips
as in fried potatoes between two pieces of bread liberally covered in
butter (hence "buttie"). Only butter will do.

BTW, you may think that butter is bad for you, but polyunsaturates
are *really* bad for you.

Hugo

"Stamp out the Food Police. Now,"

Hugo Davenport

Feb 14, 1995, 12:00:54 AM2/14/95
lfor...@hamlet.umd.edu (Linda Fortney) wrote:

> By Chip Buttie do you mean chips as in fried potatoes between two slices
> of bread? You can't. You simply can't.

Just to reassure you, she didn't mean that. What she meant was chips

Lady Jane

Feb 14, 1995, 5:29:48 AM2/14/95
In article Aileen A Nelson <ane...@uoguelph.ca> says

> : Nor do I.
> : Also, if you are striving to achieve new heights in blank looks, try
> : explain the concept of a chip buttie to an American
>
> AAN> I tried that once...explaining what a chip buttie was. All I got
> AAN> were looks of disbelief and a whole lot of "EEEEW that's
groosssss"

That's the one reason I really look forward to fish and chips from our
local take-away!
I ALWAYS get more than enough chips, so I can devour with relish a hot
and scrumptious chip buttie! or three or four??? Who needs fish anyway?
Only problem is, my SO and kids are now at it too....next time I'll have
to order a double double portion of chips ;-(

--
/)/ ./.
/ /)////)/)(/

c.darragh

Feb 14, 1995, 9:55:50 AM2/14/95

Just to add further confusion:
In Scotland a sandwich is called a "piece"

A cake or bun is called a "fancy piece"

and..
a sandwich, bun or something similar taken with tea or coffee
at 11 am -ish or 3 pm -ish is a "fly piece". This last one seems
to be local to the rural area around Aberdeen (well, that's the
only place I've head it).
It comes from using the word fly to mean, sly or quick -
hard to give an exact word. (People can also be fly - you have to
watch fly people carefully!)

Claire
Radiation Protection - Aberdeeen Royal Hospitals NHS Trust

Walter Gray

Feb 14, 1995, 10:11:29 AM2/14/95
In article <paul.rhodes....@liffe.com>, paul....@liffe.com (Paul Rhodes) writes:

>In article <3hof5p$o...@macondo.dmu.ac.uk> c...@dmu.ac.uk (Conrad Longmore) writes:
>
>>* Chips. These should be as far from the ideal of the French Fry as
>>possible. A good chip should be half an inch thick and swimming in fat.
>>Lard is the best thing to cook chips in.
>
>Bollocks. A good chip should be cooked hot enough that it is crisp on the
>outside and soft on the inside, without having absorbed too much fat. Dripping
>is better than lard, any day, but most chip shops use vegetable oil these
>days. (and a chip butty has to be from a chippie or it doesn't count)
>

>______________________________________________________paul....@liffe.com

> "The trouble with the drink talking is that the drink knows too much"

soc.culture.british? Interesting contradiction in terms.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - disclaimers - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ray Dunn

Feb 14, 1995, 10:39:52 AM2/14/95
In article <3hpde6$8...@vent.pipex.net>, ae...@solo.pipex.com says...

>BTW, you may think that butter is bad for you, but polyunsaturates
>are *really* bad for you.

...and polysaturates are good for you, I suppose....
---
Ray Dunn r...@ultimate-tech.com | Phone: (514) 954 9050
Ultimate Technographics Inc. | Phax : (514) 954 9057
Montreal. H3B 1X9 | Home : (514) 630 3749

John Warr

Feb 14, 1995, 12:23:43 PM2/14/95

> Of one thing I am convinced..that eating sandwiches in Britain transends
> the classes..from the cucumber sandwiches at a cricket match with their
> crusts cut off to the doorsteps filled with luncheon meat in a
> construction workers lunchbox...all brits eat sandwiches of some
> description. My personal favourite is Marks and Spencer's chicken tikka!!
> (pretty exotic eh?)
>
> Regards
>
> Helen.

My bro' was working on a demolition site at the time our mother was
running an outside catering business. Dave and two of his mates
were siting on a ridge beam over the site, and the lunch boxes come out.
The conversation went something like this:

Bloody 'ell, scrambled egg aginn. What's in yours Tel ?
Cheese & F*&%$£g pickle. Its a bit much four days inarow. Wot you got there Dave
?

Poxy caviar and boiled egg AGAIN

Personally, I go for farmhouse cheddar and chopped chilli sarnies myself, but as
they say (in what ever they say it in over there) de re degustibus non est
disputandum.

John Warr "Dieu n'est pas pour
Specialist Technologies les gros bataillons,
SmithKlineBeecham mais pour ceux qui
Pharmaceuticals tiret le mieux"
Worthing,UK. (Voltaire)
WARR%FRGEN...@SB.COM DEFINITLEY not a spokesperson

John Warr

Feb 14, 1995, 12:23:50 PM2/14/95

Peter J Lusby

Feb 14, 1995, 1:21:38 PM2/14/95
Somebody, somewhere, sometime wrote:

> >What I am now seeking are recipies for is the types of sandwiches that I
> >found common in England

Given that the sandwich was invented by, and named after an Englishman
(the Nth Earl of Sandwich, where N < 20), one would expect the UK to
be a fertile source of sandwich recipes, which it certianly is.

I leave it to other posters to inform you on the common types. In my
family, my younger brother used to love sandwiches made with Bovril(R)
and marmalade. Nobody else in the family could bear to watch him eat
them. Also, Marlon, in the comic strip featuring Wellington and Boot
(how sad, I've forgotten the name of the strip; someone please refresh
my memory) used to love his ketchup sandwiches - "two inch thick
slices of bread with an inch thick layer of ketchup in between".

Hope the foregoing whets your appetite!

p...@audre.audre.com | A dust whom England bore, shaped,
San Diego, CA, USA | made aware... Rupert Brooke

Mark Syvret

Feb 14, 1995, 6:31:38 PM2/14/95

> Also, Marlon, in the comic strip featuring Wellington and Boot
> (how sad, I've forgotten the name of the strip; someone please refresh
> my memory) used to love his ketchup sandwiches - "two inch thick
> slices of bread with an inch thick layer of ketchup in between".

> p...@audre.audre.com | A dust whom England bore, shaped,
> San Diego, CA, USA | made aware... Rupert Brooke

The comic strip you are referring to is The Perishers, which I believe
ran in the Mirror.

I will not stand for intolerance. Duuh, I mean........ oh, never mind.
MARCO THE DC DEMON

Lisa Solod

Feb 14, 1995, 8:19:38 PM2/14/95
Having just gotten back from a year in the UK, Oxford to be exact, with
lots of travel around, I can also attest to the fact that the Brits eat
as many sandwiches as we do, kids bring them to school, etc. The
children at my son's state school brought peanut butter sandwiches all
the time. . .

They may make some different _kinds_ of sandwiches, ie., cheese and
pickel (which is chutney here) but they eat sandwiches, just like we do,
and you can buy them anywhere. THose who said otherwise are very behind
in their information. BUt then I found a lot of American stereotypes and
"informationa" about Britain at the very least antiquated!

Linda Fortney

Feb 14, 1995, 9:45:30 PM2/14/95
In article <3hrd11$k...@newsgate.dircon.co.uk>,
Susan Spence <su...@tdc.dircon.co.uk> wrote:

>What is so disgusting about a chip buttie? It's rather high on
>the starch & fat scale, but it doesn't even come close to getting
>the sort of Disgust Rating that (say) black pudding would.

No, no, no, I was not expressing disgust with my "You simply can't."
comment, but rather slack jawed amazement.

I can top it though. My sister's festive holiday breakfast casserole.

Start with a layer of hashbrowns--i.e. shredded potatoes and onions,
fried. On top of those put a dozen scrambled eggs, on top of that
a pound of bacon, fried crisp and crumbled, another layer of potatoes, a
pound of fried pork sausage links, a pound of shreeded cheddar cheese
(not alas real Cheddar which I had the joy of tasting once in my life)
and then just to make sure there is enough fat, a can of condensed
cream of mushroom soup dropped in spoonfuls on top of it.

Force your family to eat it Christmas morning. You will not have to
make either Christmas lunch or Christmas dinner.

--
Linda Fortney

Andrew Christy

Feb 14, 1995, 11:13:10 PM2/14/95
In article <3hoo2l$b...@umbc8.umbc.edu> tma...@umbc.edu (marshallsay timothy) writes:

>Chip butties *must* have tomato sauce on them, preferably Heinz

NO.NO.NO!! That's sacrilege! But then I am still recovering from my congenital
hatred of tomatoes, more than three decades on.

The *only* condiments allowed on the Chip Butty proper (Sandwich
nord-anglais des pommes de terre frites, on a good caff menu), are salt
and malt vinegar. At a pinch, British wine may be substituted for the latter.

An occasionally encountered variation is the Chip & Bacon Butty
(Sandwich du petit de'jeuner a la Christy), which may or may not have
fried mushrooms included. If they were initially, they nevertheless tend
to escape, so maybe the distinction isn't that important.

Eat and enjoy,

Andy C

___________________________
/\ 0-0 /\ |___________________________|
/ (---) \ |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_
_/ >( )< \_ |___________________________|

Hyphen-mouthed Tree Frog (Dendrorana hyphenostoma) with chip butty for scale

************************8******************************************************

Steve Harrison

Feb 15, 1995, 9:29:34 AM2/15/95
In article <3hpddn$8...@vent.pipex.net>, Hugo Davenport
<ae...@solo.pipex.com> wrote:

Well here in the States it's actually very difficult to ever get
butter put on bread. I ordered a plain Hamburger and thats what I got; a
bun and a piece of beef pattie, nothing else, not even butter. Back home
(Australia) a plain 'burger has butter, meat, lettuce, tomatoe, beetroot,
maybe onions. My standard order used to be "Burger with egg" but no-one
here ever serves that.

Chip Butties are also a fave downunder.

Cheers,
Steve.

Walter Gray

Feb 15, 1995, 9:54:27 AM2/15/95
In article <3hqsbi$a...@news.cerf.net>, Peter J Lusby <p...@audre.audre.com> writes:
>Somebody, somewhere, sometime wrote:
>>

>> >What I am now seeking are recipies for is the types of sandwiches that I
>> >found common in England
>>

>Given that the sandwich was invented by, and named after an Englishman
>(the Nth Earl of Sandwich, where N < 20), one would expect the UK to
>be a fertile source of sandwich recipes, which it certianly is.

I've never found a description of the true _original_ sandwich written
down anywhere. Does anybody know? I always assumed it was something
like a Scandinavian open sandwich, don't know why.

Mark Syvret

Feb 15, 1995, 10:51:28 AM2/15/95
I really miss a good cheese and crisps sandwich. Made with
Mother's Pride thick sliced bread, Anchor butter, real sharp cheddar
cheese, and cheese and onion crisps (Walkers of course). The trick to
the sandwich is to pile the crisps high and then to squash the sandwich
together so that you get a really crunchy layer. mmm mmm good!

Mark Syvret
Expatriate in Virginia

Paul Rhodes

Feb 15, 1995, 11:28:24 AM2/15/95

> I really miss a good cheese and crisps sandwich. Made with
>Mother's Pride thick sliced bread, Anchor butter, real sharp cheddar
>cheese, and cheese and onion crisps (Walkers of course). The trick to
>the sandwich is to pile the crisps high and then to squash the sandwich
>together so that you get a really crunchy layer. mmm mmm good!

A variation on same: Cheese and ginger biscuits.

Aileen A Nelson

Feb 15, 1995, 12:28:42 PM2/15/95
Helen Trillian Rose (hr...@kei.com) wrote:
: AAN> == Aileen A Nelson <ane...@uoguelph.ca>

: : Nor do I.
: : Also, if you are striving to achieve new heights in blank looks, try to
: : explain the concept of a chip buttie to an American

: AAN> I tried that once...explaining what a chip buttie was. All I got
: AAN> were looks of disbelief and a whole lot of "EEEEW that's groosssss"

: Now that's not fair. Many a time I've sat down to scrumptious beans on
: toast, only to have an American say "WHAT is THAT?". Most Americans, it
: seems, feel that "Baked Beans" should be reserved for picnics, and then
: only be cooked in big dutch ovens. Myself, I stick 'em [note by "em" I
: don't mean those horrible things called "pork 'n beans" but I mean the
: proper vegetarian beans] in a mug and put them in the microwave. The
: microwave beeps and the toast pops up at about the same time. Add lots of
: butter, and instant meal!

: Chip butties. yum! I haven't had one since I was home last! Nobody makes
: them like my Gran. *sigh*

Beans on toast is another winner...Yum Yum. But nobody believes me...

How about, although not a sandwich, black pudding! The looks I got. I
don't eat it anymore though since its hard to find.

aileen

I have nothing to say at this point....

Aileen A Nelson

Feb 15, 1995, 12:29:38 PM2/15/95

: >

: I must have lived in Germany far too long: I love mayonnaise with chips.

: Try it first though, *then* flame away!

Mayonnaise is amazing on chips.....

al

Pamala Parr

Feb 15, 1995, 1:48:02 PM2/15/95
In article <3hotdn$s...@hamlet.umd.edu>,
My great delight as a child in the early forties was
buying a halfpenny crusty roll at the bakery, eat all the soft
bread inside, then buy a pennyworth of chips, stuff them in thee
roll, add salt and malt vinegar and enjoy. That was the life!!

marshallsay timothy

Feb 15, 1995, 2:26:29 PM2/15/95

Peter J Lusby <p...@audre.audre.com> wrote:
>Somebody, somewhere, sometime wrote:
>>

>> >What I am now seeking are recipies for is the types of sandwiches that I
>> >found common in England
>>

>Given that the sandwich was invented by, and named after an Englishman
>(the Nth Earl of Sandwich, where N < 20), one would expect the UK to
>be a fertile source of sandwich recipes, which it certianly is.
>
>I leave it to other posters to inform you on the common types. In my
>family, my younger brother used to love sandwiches made with Bovril(R)
>and marmalade. Nobody else in the family could bear to watch him eat
>them. Also, Marlon, in the comic strip featuring Wellington and Boot
>(how sad, I've forgotten the name of the strip; someone please refresh
>my memory) used to love his ketchup sandwiches - "two inch thick
>slices of bread with an inch thick layer of ketchup in between".
>
>Hope the foregoing whets your appetite!

Is that strip The Perishers?

I used to share a table at lunch with one pupil who had sugar sandwiches
every day, and one who had sandwiches made with two slices of bread, two
chocolate digestives and marmalade.

Ray Dunn

Feb 15, 1995, 5:48:30 PM2/15/95
In referenced article, Karen Elizabeth Topping says...
> To the individual mentioning Marlon and his infamous sandwiches...
>
> The strip was (I believe) "The Perishers"

Do they still have their annual "Great eyeballs in the sky" episodes?

Anne Elizabeth Callery

Feb 16, 1995, 2:05:43 AM2/16/95
Oh boy, I can't believe I just remembered one that I haven't
seen here yet... How about cheese and jam? A friend of mine,
from around Durham, would make cheese and jam sandwiches all
the time. She seemed to like cheddar and raspberry jam...

Anne

--

Anne Callery
Palo Alto CA USA
cal...@leland.stanford.edu
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

David Cronshaw

Feb 16, 1995, 2:46:14 PM2/16/95
As someone who spent the 1st 28 yrs of his life in N.W.
England, I have the following comments about the sandwiches
I was used to:

1. Sandwiches were something I used to eat between meals as
a snack. The relatively cool & damp British climate
encourages hot meals 3x per day. Cold sandwiches were not
considered a good meal.

2. Most sandwiches consisted of a couple of slices of
buttered bread with a single filler material. Jam (fruit
preserves), cheese, tomato, lettuce, cooked meat (boiled
ham, luncheon meat, potted meat spreads) being common
fillers.

3. The traditional 'afternoon tea' sandwich of the upper
classes or Sunday-afternoons-when-visiting-relatives were
dainty triangles without crusts. Cucumber, cheese and cooked
meats being common fillers. Cakes and biscuits (cookies) were often served at
the same time with hot tea (milk & sugar added) in delicate
bone china tea cups (loose tea leaves - no teabags
permitted). Afternoon teas, where the above is served, could
be purchased at many places in England and other parts of
the U.K. at 'tea shoppes', most commonly found in country
town(e)s and villages and other provincial cities.

For hot items with some resemblance to the sandwich, try
Welsh rarebit (toasted cheese on toasted bread), baked beans
on toast or even sauteed mushrooms on toast. All served open
faced.

--

David.C...@SanDiegoCA.ATTGIS.COM
(619) 736 9257 - Home Office (Telecommute) #

marshallsay timothy

Feb 16, 1995, 3:04:26 PM2/16/95
In article <3htdka$2...@ccshst05.cs.uoguelph.ca>,

Aileen A Nelson <ane...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>Helen Trillian Rose (hr...@kei.com) wrote:
>: AAN> == Aileen A Nelson <ane...@uoguelph.ca>
>
>: : Nor do I.
>: : Also, if you are striving to achieve new heights in blank looks, try to
>: : explain the concept of a chip buttie to an American
>
>: AAN> I tried that once...explaining what a chip buttie was. All I got
>: AAN> were looks of disbelief and a whole lot of "EEEEW that's groosssss"
>
>: Now that's not fair. Many a time I've sat down to scrumptious beans on
>: toast, only to have an American say "WHAT is THAT?". Most Americans, it
>: seems, feel that "Baked Beans" should be reserved for picnics, and then
>: only be cooked in big dutch ovens. Myself, I stick 'em [note by "em" I
>: don't mean those horrible things called "pork 'n beans" but I mean the
>: proper vegetarian beans] in a mug and put them in the microwave. The
>: microwave beeps and the toast pops up at about the same time. Add lots of
>: butter, and instant meal!
>
>: Chip butties. yum! I haven't had one since I was home last! Nobody makes
>: them like my Gran. *sigh*
>

>Beans on toast is another winner...Yum Yum. But nobody believes me...
>
>How about, although not a sandwich, black pudding! The looks I got. I
>don't eat it anymore though since its hard to find.

I nominate Helen Trillian Rose to succeed Elizabeth Jane Beaumont-Bissell
at Easter as holder of the title of "Most Musical Name on scb"

Alec Cawley

Feb 16, 1995, 5:34:22 PM2/16/95
In article <3htkh5$7...@umbc8.umbc.edu>
tma...@umbc.edu "marshallsay timothy" writes:

> I used to share a table at lunch with one pupil who had sugar sandwiches
> every day,

Brown sugar sandwiches - you have revived a long forgotten memory of
my youth. Aaaah - nostalgia IS what it used to be.

A univerity friend used to lunce every day of penut butter, picallilli,
stilton and lime marmalade sandwiches. The slices of bread he used were
abou an inch thick, so the completed edifice was impressive.

--
Alec Cawley My opinions cause my employer problems
al...@cawley.demon.co.uk

Rebecca Radnor

Feb 16, 1995, 7:13:24 PM2/16/95
In article <3hqov6$c...@phunn1.sb.com>, John Warr <Warr%frgen...@sb.com> wrote:

> > Of one thing I am convinced..that eating sandwiches in Britain transends
> > the classes..from the cucumber sandwiches at a cricket match with their
> > crusts cut off to the doorsteps filled with luncheon meat in a
> > construction workers lunchbox...all brits eat sandwiches of some
> > description. My personal favourite is Marks and Spencer's chicken tikka!!
> > (pretty exotic eh?)

As the poster of the original request, FOLKS! jeez! Stuff like a recipie
for the Chicken Tickka sandwich at Marks and Sparks is EXACTLY what I was
trying to get my hands on. Sigh, does anyone have these types of
recipies? (please e-mail me some). Sigh.

--
Rebecca Anne Radnor // I know everything,
Dept. of Anthropology, NU // I know nothing,

Rebecca Radnor

Feb 16, 1995, 7:17:17 PM2/16/95
(Ben Samman) wrote:

> In article <hlyons-0802...@med-pharm5.bu.edu>

hly...@mbcrrc.bu.edu (Helen Lyons) writes:
> >Of one thing I am convinced..that eating sandwiches in Britain transends
> >the classes..from the cucumber sandwiches at a cricket match with their
> >crusts cut off to the doorsteps filled with luncheon meat in a
> >construction workers lunchbox...all brits eat sandwiches of some
> >description. My personal favourite is Marks and Spencer's chicken tikka!!
> >(pretty exotic eh?)
>

> YES!!This is EXCELLENT. Marks and Sparks have pretty good
> sandwiches..Their Thai chicken thing is excellent also.
>
> Ben.

Does anyone have these recipies? PLEASE!!!!! E-mail me or cross post them
to rec.food.recipies

dam

Feb 16, 1995, 8:35:53 PM2/16/95

as an aside...the person i spoke with at TVFN when I called to
express my displeasure with the "new" Taste was *thrilled*
to hear that the show was being discussed here...hard to believe
noone there at least has an aol account ;-)

Audrey Marsh "When the going gets weird,
ma...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu the weird turn pro..."
d...@well.com - HST

MA...@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au

Feb 16, 1995, 11:09:54 PM2/16/95
In article <3hip90$b...@umbc8.umbc.edu> tma...@umbc.edu (marshallsay timothy) writes:
>From: tma...@umbc.edu (marshallsay timothy)
>Subject: Re: REQUEST: (international) British Sandwiches
>Date: 11 Feb 1995 11:40:00 -0500

>In article <ray.84....@ultimate-tech.com>,
>Ray Dunn <r...@ultimate-tech.com> wrote:
>>I don't know where all that rubbish about the British not eating sandwiches
>>came from - sandwiches lunches are endemic, whether carried from home
>>(otherwise known as "brown bagging", but not in the UK last time I looked) or
>>bought at the local sandwich shop, pub, or supermarket!
>>
>>Sandwich shops (i.e. catering mainly to the lunch trade) are everywhere.
>>
>>In Scotland, a sandwich is known colloquially as a "piece". Some of my
>>favourite pieces:
>>
>>Egg mayonaise - A hard-boiled egg sliced on a finger roll, with salad cream -
>>yummy!
>>
>>Cheese and beetroot!
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>You're the only other person I've ever encountered who likes this combination.
>Let's start a newsgroup: how about alt.food.stained-shirt.pink-fingers?

I'd be in on that - but I like my cheese and beetroot sandwich toasted. And
preferably rye bread.

Chris Bayliss

Feb 17, 1995, 6:59:07 AM2/17/95
I am surprised that nobody has yet mentioned the Hot Pork with
Stuffing and Gravy Sandwich. These are certainly commonly
available in Birmingham and the Black Country. Are they
available elsewhere?

Carol L. Briggs

Feb 17, 1995, 11:31:46 AM2/17/95
I would be interested in receiving a list of the cookbooks available.
Thank you.
Carol

Wallace Venable

Feb 17, 1995, 12:47:58 PM2/17/95

>>Beans on toast is another winner...Yum Yum. But nobody believes me...

I'll show my ignorance again. I thought beans on toast was a
breakfast item, not something you'd put in a sack and take to work.

Stephen M. Grafton

Feb 17, 1995, 2:08:54 AM2/17/95
For a good list of Sarnies I refer you to the 'Ken Dodd book of butties'.

I kid you not. (Me? Peanut and raisin sarny)

Steve G.

--
* Stephen Grafton, Fujitsu Ltd. Somewhere in Kawasaki. *
* E-mail: s...@rp.open.cs.fujitsu.co.jp *

BILL HILBRICH, ST. CLOUD, MN

Feb 18, 1995, 8:39:20 PM2/18/95

From me???

From my local Library?

From the local University Library ?

From the State of Minnesota's University Library System?

From Inter-Library Loan Nation Wide??

Please advise.....

Bill

Liz Calder

Feb 19, 1995, 4:34:29 AM2/19/95

I remember when I was young my Grandma used to make a
wonderful Rubarb and Ginger jam which was that horrible
murky green/brown colour that rubarb goes when it's cooked.
I used it instead of pickle on cheese sandwiches (Well I
am from Yorkshire!) Grandma has since shuffled off this
mortal coil (sniff), so does anyone know how to make rubarb
and ginger jam?

On the chip butty front - the chips have got to be cooked
in beef dripping and they've got to be HOT, otherwise when
you eat them the butter won't run down your arm.

Liz Calder

--
Liz Calder l...@calder.demon.co.uk

Jim Lew

Feb 19, 1995, 11:51:15 PM2/19/95
Steve Harrison (shar...@opal.tufts.edu) wrote:

: Well here in the States it's actually very difficult to ever get

: butter put on bread. I ordered a plain Hamburger and thats what I got; a
: bun and a piece of beef pattie, nothing else, not even butter. Back home
: (Australia) a plain 'burger has butter, meat, lettuce, tomatoe, beetroot,
: maybe onions. My standard order used to be "Burger with egg" but no-one

: here ever serves that. ^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

actually there is a place in S.F. that serves a burger the way you like it.
the place is called grub steak something. i haven't been there in years,
but they used to grill their buns with a little butter. And, they had a
burger named something like the golden nugget or maybe the 49er. anyway,
it was a burger topped with a fried egg (sunny side up). standard with
the burgers was the lettuce, tomatoe, onions and fries.

it use to be quite popular and a pretty good place go get a burger. it's
still where its always been, but i don't know if it's still good.

: Chip Butties are also a fave downunder.

BTW, what is a beetroot (maybe a slice of pickled beet???) and
chip butties???

jim

Paul Rhodes

Feb 20, 1995, 7:58:47 AM2/20/95
In article <3hqh71$h...@trog.dra.hmg.gb> wag...@taz.dra.hmg.gb (Walter Gray) writes:

[re. chip butties]

>soc.culture.british? Interesting contradiction in terms.

Er... your point?

______________________________________________________paul....@liffe.com
"...I stand upright in my wheelbarrow and pretend I'm Boadicea (Hi Ho)"

Renee Florsheim

Feb 20, 1995, 12:59:12 PM2/20/95
Being adventurous I'd like to try chip buttie. How are the potaotoes
>cut like french fries for are they sliced and pan fried? Do I have
>this right? I put the potatoes in between bread and then pour melted
>butter over all?
>Terry

Is this how you normally butter your bread for sandwiches?

Phil Buglass

Feb 21, 1995, 2:08:56 PM2/21/95
In article <RLIZ.1137...@msg.ti.com>, LizR <RL...@msg.ti.com> wrote:
>When I was in Ireland I was served an "American Style Hamburger" (exact quote
>from the menu) that came with slices of pinapple rather than tomato. It was
>kind of amusing. I got a big tickle out of "Texas-style" or "American-style"
>items in the UK (I am using the term to refer to England, Scotland and
>Ireland). And when I got back to this side of the pond I had an equally big
>laugh over the faux-"English" stuff here.

Well, I was in a restaurant in DC this weekend that were offering
'Irish Nachos'as part of their St. Patricks Day celebrations...
Now, I never knew that the irish went in for nachos. They never
offered them to me during my time there.

Very strange...

extra lines to defeat the quoting police... :(

Phil.

Vince O'Sullivan

Feb 21, 1995, 3:29:21 PM2/21/95
In article <3i90ta$l...@news.imssys.com>
terr...@imssys.imssys.com "Terry J. Pogue" writes:

> shar...@opal.tufts.edu (Steve Harrison) wrote:
> >
> Being adventurous I'd like to try chip buttie. How are the potaotoes
> cut like french fries for are they sliced and pan fried? Do I have
> this right? I put the potatoes in between bread and then pour melted
> butter over all?
> Terry

Oh dear, oh dear. You obviously have no real concept of what a chip
buttie is, do you. I fear, if you need to ask the question; you won't
understand the answer. Still, here goes.

First, clean some potatoes. Slice them like french
fries but thicker (about half an inch thick) but remember no two chips
should look even remotely similar in size or shape. This emphasises the
fact that the chips weren't made in a factory and therefore taste better.
Deep fry said potatoes in very hot oil (anything but olive oil... it
doesn't fry hot enough). A welding mask and matching gloves may be
found useful at this point (keep a fire blanket handy too).
Slice two very thick slices from an unsliced white loaf and spead with
ordinary room temperature butter. When the chips are cooked (practise
make perfect) pile them unreasonably high on one of the slices (which
has the butter on the top. Liberally smother on salt or thick (verging
on solid) tomato sauce or enough vinegar to dissolve the scary monster
in Alien, according to taste. Balance the other slice (actually you
need a third slice because the second slice usally gets eaten plain
whilst waiting for the chips to fry) butter side down on the pinacle
of the chips. We're aiming here for an ideal height of six to nine
inches (sorry, there's no metric equivalent to this). Cross both
hands, palms down, finger extended. Place the lower palm on the upper
slice of bread and press down. You may need to stand on a chair to
do this properly. The thickness should now be slightly over half an
inch greater than you can open your jaws. Remember, we're talking
seriously dangerous potatoes here! eat and enjoy.
--
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ _/ _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/_/ Vince O'Sullivan _/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/ Hampshire, England _/_/

Gary W. Blunk

Feb 21, 1995, 12:30:32 AM2/21/95

>==========Aileen A Nelson, 2/15/95==========

>Helen Trillian Rose (hr...@kei.com) wrote:
>: AAN> == Aileen A Nelson <ane...@uoguelph.ca>
>
>: : Nor do I.
>: : Also, if you are striving to achieve new heights in blank looks, try
>: : explain the concept of a chip buttie to an American
>
>: AAN> I tried that once...explaining what a chip buttie was. All I got
>: AAN> were looks of disbelief and a whole lot of "EEEEW that's
>groosssss"
>
>: Now that's not fair. Many a time I've sat down to scrumptious beans on
>: toast, only to have an American say "WHAT is THAT?". Most Americans, it
>: seems, feel that "Baked Beans" should be reserved for picnics, and then
>: only be cooked in big dutch ovens. Myself, I stick 'em [note by "em" I
>: don't mean those horrible things called "pork 'n beans" but I mean the
>: proper vegetarian beans] in a mug and put them in the microwave. The
>: microwave beeps and the toast pops up at about the same time. Add lots
>of
>: butter, and instant meal!
>
>: Chip butties. yum! I haven't had one since I was home last! Nobody makes
>: them like my Gran. *sigh*
>

>Beans on toast is another winner...Yum Yum. But nobody believes me...
>
>How about, although not a sandwich, black pudding! The looks I got. I
>don't eat it anymore though since its hard to find.
>
>aileen

Is it just that people in Britain don't have time to think about what they
cook and eat or WHAT?

Gary "Big Mac Please..." Blunk

Karen Mercedes

Feb 21, 1995, 11:04:19 PM2/21/95
In article <3i8sqj$l...@ns.RezoNet.NET>
r...@ultimate-tech.com (Ray Dunn) writes:

> In referenced article, David Cronshaw says...

> >For hot items with some resemblance to the sandwich, try
> >Welsh rarebit (toasted cheese on toasted bread), baked beans
> >on toast or even sauteed mushrooms on toast. All served open
> >faced.
>

> Welsh Rarebit is hardly just toasted cheese. It's more like a cheese sauce
> poured onto toast. Receep (as Monty Python would say) anyone?

1 oz (25g) butter
6 oz (175g) grated Cheddar
1 Tb milk, whisky, or beer (NOTE: I've also used fino Sherry and brandy
with good results)
dash of made mustard
salt
freshly milled pepper
1 egg yolk (optional)
4 slices of hot toast

Melt the butter in a saucepan.
Add cheese, milk/beer (traditional), or whisky (not traditional but
delicious)
Add mustard and a seasoning of salt and pepper.
Stir over low heat until cheese has melted and mixture is smooth.
Draw off heat, beat in egg yolk. Adding the egg makes the mixture
rather more firm and lighter in texture.

Arrange slices of hot toast on grill pan. It's a good idea to place
them on a sheet of kitchen foil to catch any mixture that runs off the
sides of the toast.
Spoon cheese mixture onto each slice of toast.
Place under high heat (grill) to brown quickly.
Serve.

Makes four servings.
Takes 15 minutes to prepare.

Karen Mercedes

| "England is all right for splendour, |
| but dead slow for fun." |
| -- Consuelo, Duchess of Manchester |

LizR

Feb 20, 1995, 5:04:22 PM2/20/95
>Steve Harrison (shar...@opal.tufts.edu) wrote:

>: Well here in the States it's actually very difficult to ever get
>: butter put on bread. I ordered a plain Hamburger and thats what I got; a
>: bun and a piece of beef pattie, nothing else, not even butter. Back home
>: (Australia) a plain 'burger has butter, meat, lettuce, tomatoe, beetroot,
>: maybe onions. My standard order used to be "Burger with egg" but no-one
>: here ever serves that. ^^^^^^^^^^
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When I was in Ireland I was served an "American Style Hamburger" (exact quote

from the menu) that came with slices of pinapple rather than tomato. It was
kind of amusing. I got a big tickle out of "Texas-style" or "American-style"
items in the UK (I am using the term to refer to England, Scotland and
Ireland). And when I got back to this side of the pond I had an equally big
laugh over the faux-"English" stuff here.

Personally I like my burgers with cheddar and red chile sauce (ie a thin spicy
sauce made from red chile powder - condiment not a stew).

A burger that rivals the chip buttie for cholesteral overload is cheddar, cole
slaw, lettuce, red onions, tomato, mustard and chili (the stew kind). Serve
with fries covered with Heinz ketchup and Tabasco. (and maybe an alka-selzer!)

LizR

Ann Howe

Feb 22, 1995, 9:09:33 AM2/22/95
Somebody on this newsgroup posted a request for a recipe for tablet, & I
haven't seen one fly by from all you Scotsmen & women. This one comes
from my sister, courtesy of our father's childhood Scottish nurse. We
grew up calling it "Annie's candy" and only realized in adulthood that
it was tablet. WONDERFUL stuff!
2 c water
1/2 lb butter
4 lb sugar
1 lb can of sweetened condensed milk
[after exhaustive research I found out that 4 lb sugar translates to
7 2/3 c and a 1 lb can of milk is about 1 1/2 c]
Melt butter and water in DEEP pan over low heat. Add sugar and bring to
a boil, stirring slowly all the time. When boiling add milk. Simmer
until mixture turns dark golden brown. Take off heat and beat well with
wooden spoon until mixture turns sugary. Pat into two buttered 9 x 13
pans and let cool completely.
[Note from my sister: The recipe said cook for 25 minutes, but it has
rarely worked in less than 2 hours, depending on atmospheric pressure,
phase of the moon, and how close we are to Shrove Tuesday. Color is a
more important indicator than time, but you have to learn that by
trying]
[Note from me: my sister lives in Colorado; it would probably cook a
good deal quicker at sea level.]
Enjoy!

Rebecca Radnor

Feb 22, 1995, 10:37:01 AM2/22/95
sigh....

Does anyone have any interst in posting stuff like the recipie for the
chiken Tikka sandwich a M&S or any other sandwich of that variety. I
posted the original request, and keep HOPING!!! that someone will take it
seriously.

Paul Rhodes

Feb 22, 1995, 10:51:56 AM2/22/95
In article <japlady-2202...@lucky125.acns.nwu.edu> jap...@nwu.edu (Rebecca Radnor) writes:

>Does anyone have any interst in posting stuff like the recipie for the
>chiken Tikka sandwich a M&S or any other sandwich of that variety. I
>posted the original request, and keep HOPING!!! that someone will take it
>seriously.

Take some chicken tikka, put it between two slices of buttered bread.

John Warr

Feb 22, 1995, 12:36:18 PM2/22/95
lfor...@hamlet.umd.edu (Linda Fortney) wrote:
> I can top it though. My sister's festive holiday breakfast casserole.
>
> Start with a layer of hashbrowns--i.e. shredded potatoes and onions,
> fried. On top of those put a dozen scrambled eggs, on top of that
> a pound of bacon, fried crisp and crumbled, another layer of potatoes, a
> pound of fried pork sausage links, a pound of shreeded cheddar cheese
> (not alas real Cheddar which I had the joy of tasting once in my life)
> and then just to make sure there is enough fat, a can of condensed
> cream of mushroom soup

AAARGH.....
Just when I was about to rush out a quick enquiry re the marital status
of this culinary paragon.....

>dropped in spoonfuls on top of it.

Ohmogod Awful.

It's another GATMSR (Great American Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe.)

> Force your family to eat it Christmas morning. You will not have to
> make either Christmas lunch or Christmas dinner.
>

> --
> Linda Fortney

Can one use REAL mushroom soup ? With Real Cream ? And maybe sliced
black pudd'n ????

John Warr
First Komissar
The Chloresterol Institute
Moscow-in-The-Marsh
Sussex

Trevor Hall

Feb 22, 1995, 5:18:42 AM2/22/95
Gary W. Blunk <gary....@SanDiegoCA.ATTGIS.COM> writes :-

Chip buttie stuff deleted

>Is it just that people in Britain don't have time to think about what they
>cook and eat or WHAT?
>
>Gary "Big Mac Please..." Blunk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you have just shot yourself in the foot.

T.H.

Ray Dunn

Feb 22, 1995, 2:20:11 PM2/22/95
In referenced article, Phil Buglass says...

>Well, I was in a restaurant in DC this weekend that were offering
>'Irish Nachos'as part of their St. Patricks Day celebrations...
>Now, I never knew that the irish went in for nachos. They never
>offered them to me during my time there.
>
>Very strange...

Even stranger that they were celebrating St. Patrick's day on 18th February.....
---
Disclaimer: All opinions expressed above are personal
---
Ray Dunn | Phone: (514) 954 9050
Montreal | Phax : (514) 954 9057
r...@ultimate-tech.com | Home : (514) 630 3749

Wallace Venable

Feb 22, 1995, 3:33:51 PM2/22/95
In article <D43yx...@lcpd2.SanDiegoCA.ATTGIS.COM> da...@sparc.sandiegoca.attgis.com (David Cronshaw) writes:
>Subject: Re: REQUEST: (international) British Sandwiches
>From: da...@sparc.sandiegoca.attgis.com (David Cronshaw)
>Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 19:46:14 GMT

>As someone who spent the 1st 28 yrs of his life in N.W.
>England, I have the following comments about the sandwiches
>I was used to:

>1. Sandwiches were something I used to eat between meals

>2. Most sandwiches consisted of a couple of slices of
>buttered bread with a single filler material. Jam (fruit
>preserves), cheese, tomato, lettuce, cooked meat (

>3. The traditional 'afternoon tea' sandwich of the upper classes

Se, the British sandwich to which I referred. From the Britain I
love. None of this business of letting children eat peanut butter or
froggy preeet-in-a-manger stuff.
Is there a REAL FOOD movement yet?

Anne Bourget

Feb 22, 1995, 4:05:52 PM2/22/95

Please...Welsh RABBIT, not rarebit.
Anne Bourget bou...@netcom.com

an20...@anon.penet.fi

Feb 22, 1995, 4:54:07 PM2/22/95

> > > Just to reassure you, she didn't mean that. What she meant was chips
> > > as in fried potatoes between two pieces of bread liberally covered in
> > > butter (hence "buttie"). Only butter will do.

That reminds me of what used to be a favorite of mine : mashed potatoes
on my mom's buttered homemade white bread... mmmm talk about comfort
food (and *heavy*!)

Linda Fortney

Feb 23, 1995, 2:03:10 PM2/23/95
In article <3ifsmi$e...@phunn1.sb.com>,

John Warr <Warr%frgen...@sb.com> wrote:
>> and then just to make sure there is enough fat, a can of condensed
>> cream of mushroom soup
>
>AAARGH.....
>Just when I was about to rush out a quick enquiry re the marital status
>of this culinary paragon.....
>

>>dropped in spoonfuls on top of it.
>
>Ohmogod Awful.
>
>It's another GATMSR (Great American Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe.)
>
>Can one use REAL mushroom soup ? With Real Cream ? And maybe sliced
>black pudd'n ????

Absolutely positively not. GACMSR's must have canned CMS, or they
will loose that certain canned (tinned) je ne sais quoi.

This stuff is the most calorie dense dish I know.
--
Linda Fortney

Alvin Givens

Feb 23, 1995, 5:34:11 PM2/23/95
Phil Buglass (bl...@tpe.ncm.com) wrote:

: Well, I was in a restaurant in DC this weekend that were offering

: 'Irish Nachos'as part of their St. Patricks Day celebrations...
: Now, I never knew that the irish went in for nachos. They never
: offered them to me during my time there.

: Very strange...

: Phil.

During the Spanish-American war, Irish mercenaries would camp in
the hills of Texas and Mexico and would sing "Green goes the
Derry-o" (sp?. From this, Mexicans began calling Anglos (white
people to you non-Texans) the name "Gringo". Mexican polkas came
from German settlers in Texas, yeilding Tejano music of today.

Irish Nachos? Who knows, it could happen. Does sound like a
bit of BS in marketing, though.

Anne Elizabeth Callery

Feb 23, 1995, 7:23:30 PM2/23/95
Rebecca Radnor (jap...@nwu.edu) wrote:
: sigh....

: Does anyone have any interst in posting stuff like the recipie for the
: chiken Tikka sandwich a M&S or any other sandwich of that variety. I
: posted the original request, and keep HOPING!!! that someone will take it
: seriously.

Well, it seems to me that a lot of interesting ideas are coming out
in this thread, and that if you see one that looks good, just try it
out and make your own recipe. Those who posted their favorite sand-
wiches probably do not have exact recipes, but they're not too hard
to figure out. Here's an example:

Fry a few slices of bacon. Fry an egg. Place egg and bacon on
a roll, add brown sauce. (optional: butter the roll first)

If you want a more precise recipe, you could make one that looks
good to you, then measure how many strips of bacon, how many teaspoons
of brown sauce, etc etc etc.

Good luck with your sandwiches!

Anne

--

Anne Callery
Palo Alto CA USA
cal...@leland.stanford.edu
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

vicki jean merriman

Feb 24, 1995, 4:09:38 AM2/24/95
Rebecca Radnor <jap...@nwu.edu> wrote:

>Does anyone have any interst in posting stuff like the recipie for the
>chiken Tikka sandwich a M&S or any other sandwich of that variety. I
>posted the original request, and keep HOPING!!! that someone will take it
>seriously.

Any decent Indian cookbook will have a recipe for Chicken tikka. It is
essentially a chicken kabob where the chicken parts have been marinated
in spices and (I believe) yogurt before grilling them.

|----
Vicki Merriman - vmer...@indiana.edu

-mlc-+Pearce

Feb 24, 1995, 9:38:35 AM2/24/95
In article <3htdm2$2...@ccshst05.cs.uoguelph.ca>,
Aileen A Nelson <ane...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:

>: >
>
>: I must have lived in Germany far too long: I love mayonnaise with chips.
>: Try it first though, *then* flame away!
>

>Mayonnaise is amazing on chips.....

What about salad cream................with its intrinsic vinegar properties.

Tempting the palate of a true chip lover with both the mayonnaise
consistancy together with the all powerfull vinegar after taste.

I recall the little child :-) in Faulty Towers requesting
the salad cream condiment for his chips and Basil offered the home
made mayonnaise substitute. The child then rebuttaled Faulty's offer with:
This stuff is puke!

I think this sums up the continental mayonnaise on chips thread :-).

It is loading more messages.