Help with OAMC (once A Month Cooking) and Make a Mix

1 view

L.P.

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Can someone please post some recipes from the Make a Mix Book and/or
OAMC recipes? I've never tried cooking for the entire month but it
sounds very interesting!

JW

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

Here are a few tried-and-true recipes from Make-a-Mix and Once-A-Month
Cooking. Enjoy!

Julia in St. Louis

SPAM-BLOCK ALERT!!!
If you reply to this message, change "no-spam" to "classact"
in my e-mail address to avoid getting bounced.

> Can someone please post some recipes from the Make a Mix Book and/or
> OAMC recipes?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Muffin Mix

Recipe By : adapted from Make-A-Mix
Serving Size : 11 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Mixes Breads

8 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
3 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and
nutmeg. Mix well. Put in a large airtight container. Label with date and
contents. Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 6 to 8 months.
Makes about 11 cups of Muffin Mix, enough for 4 batches of muffins.

Use Muffin Mix to make Melt-in-Your-Mouth Muffins and Zucchini Muffins.

(The original recipe contained 2 tsp. of ground nutmeg. -jlw)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Melt-in-Your-Mouth Muffins

Recipe By : adapted from Make-A-Mix
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:35
Categories : Breads Breakfast
Easy Quick

2 3/4 cups Muffin Mix
1 egg -- beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine -- melted
or 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Put Muffin Mix in a medium bowl. In a small bowl or measuring cup,
combine egg, milk and butter. Add all at once to Muffin Mix. Stir until mix
is just moistened; batter should be lumpy.
Fill prepared muffin pan 3/4 full. Bake 15 minutes or until golden
brown. Place pan on wire rack for 5 minutes; remove muffins from pan and
serve immediately, or place on wire rack to cool. These muffins freeze
well.
Makes 12 muffins.

VARIATIONS:

Cappuccino Chip Muffins: Add 1 tsp. ground cinnamon and 1 tbsp. espresso
powder to dry ingredients. Add 1 tsp. vanilla extract to wet ingredients.
Add 3/4 cup semisweet mini morsels to batter.

Banana Muffins: Add 2 tbsp. banana powder (optional) and 1/2 cup chopped
pecans to dry ingredients. Mash 1 banana (approx. 1/2 cup) and add to wet
ingredients along with 1 tsp. vanilla extract.

Butterscotch-Pecan Muffins: Combine 6 tbsp. melted butter with 6 tbsp.
brown sugar. Place 1 tbsp. of brown sugar mixture and 2 to 3 pecan halves
in the bottom of each muffin cup. Fill cups 3/4 full with batter.

Cranberry-Nut Muffins: Gently fold 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen
cranberries, 1/2 cup chopped nuts and 3 tbsp. sugar into basic muffin
batter just before filling muffin pan.

Blueberry Muffins: Gently fold 1 cup fresh, frozen or drained canned
blueberries into basic muffin batter before filling muffin pan.

Fresh Peach Muffins: Gently fold 1 cup diced fresh peaches into batter
before filling muffin pan.

Dried Fruit Muffins: Add 1 cup chopped dried fruit (apricots, cherries,
peaches, blueberries, pineapple, strawberries) to liquid ingredients.

Cornmeal Muffins: Decrease Muffin Mix to 2-1/4 cups. Add 1/2 cup cornmeal.

(The original recipe made 10 large muffins, and was baked 18 to 20 minutes.
I created the Cappuccino Chip Muffin variation based upon another muffin
recipe. I added banana powder and chopped pecans to the Banana Muffin
variation. -jlw)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Zucchini Muffins

Recipe By : Make-A-Mix
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : Breads Breakfast
Easy Harvest
Quick Vegetables

2 cups Muffin Mix
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup grated zucchini
1 egg -- beaten
1/2 cup butter -- melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray muffin pan with nonstick muffin spray.
In a medium bowl, combine Muffin Mix, sugar, nuts and cinnamon. In a
separate bowl or measuring cup, combine zucchini, egg, butter and vanilla.
Add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir until just moistened; batter
should be lumpy.
Fill prepared muffin pan 3/4 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden
brown.
Makes 10 medium muffins.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 20189 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Mix

Recipe By : Make-A-Mix
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :1:30
Categories : Poultry Mixes

11 pounds frying chicken -- cut up
(4 medium fryers)
4 quarts cold water
3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
4 carrots -- peeled and chopped
4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
2 teaspoons dried basil -- crushed

Combine all ingredients in a l0-quart stock pot or Dutch oven. Cover and
cook over high heat until water boils. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken
is tender, about 1-1/2 hours. (Less time is required if you are using
boneless chicken breasts.) Remove from heat. Strain broth and refrigerate
until fat can be skimmed.
Cool chicken, remove and discard bones and skin. Cut chicken into cubes.
Put chicken into six 1-pint freezer containers, leaving 1/2-inch space at
top. (OR put 1 cup diced chicken into each of 12 plastic sandwich bags, and
place the filled bags into a large Ziploc freezer bag.) Pour skimmed
chicken broth into six more 1-pint containers, with 1/2-inch space at top.
Seal and label with date and contents. Freeze. Use within 3 months.
Makes 6 pints (12 cups) of cubed cooked chicken, and 6 pints of chicken
broth.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I prefer using 12 to 14 whole boneless chicken breasts (6 to 7
pounds of boneless breasts or tenderloins) instead of fryers. It reduces
the fat and is a whole lot easier to make.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 3135 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Teriyaki Chicken

Recipe By : Once-A-Month Cooking
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:50
Categories : Easy Main Dishes
Poultry Quick

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons vegetable oil -- or sesame seed oil
1 small garlic clove -- minced
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
4 boned and skinned chicken breast halves -- about 1
pound
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice

In a gallon-size Ziploc freezer bag, mix soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, oil,
garlic and ginger to make marinade; massage bag with fingers to mix
thoroughly. (Reserve 2 tablespoons marinade in a small bowl if you are also
making Teriyaki Burgers.) Place chicken breasts in bag with marinade; seal
bag, removing as much air as possible. Turn bag to coat chicken evenly with
marinade. If preparing ahead, place bag in freezer for up to 6 weeks.
Otherwise, place bag in refrigerator for several hours or overnight; turn
bag over occasionally.
When preparing to serve, thaw bag of chicken in refrigerator overnight
(if frozen). Pour chicken and marinade into a lightly greased baking dish.
Bake uncovered in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 minutes or until chicken is
tender.
Prepare rice according to package directions. Serve chicken and sauce
over rice.
Makes 4 servings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Serve with rice and French-cut green beans.

NOTES : This recipe tastes like the Teriyaki Chicken at Denny's restaurant.
I substituted apple cider vinegar for the red wine vinegar, and it tasted
great! I also used 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder instead of 1 minced clove of
garlic.

Ceon Ramon

Jun 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/30/97

In article <33afb5b0...@news.earthlink.net>,

L.P. <pisa...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Can someone please post some recipes from the Make a Mix Book and/or
>OAMC recipes? I've never tried cooking for the entire month but it
>sounds very interesting!

This isn't from Make a Mix Book or OAMC (whatever that is), but if I'm
reading you correctly, you want recipes that can be prepared ahead of time
and that require minimal fuss at dinner time. Here's something from the
"Heloise" column. I haven't tried it yet so can't vouch for it, but it
sounds like an intriguing time-saver.

EXCERPT
"Dear Larry: This yummy and fat-free recipe is definitely worth
repeating. Clip this right now and put it in your recipe files.

You'll need:

1 cup nonfat dry powdered milk
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all the ingredients together. Keep this calorie-saving mixture in an
airtight container until you are ready to make a cream soup. The base can
be used to make any flavor you want just by adding the main flavoring
ingredient.

For cream of mushroom soup, you would add fresh or canned mushrooms; for
cream of celery, add some fresh, chopped celery, etc.

Just add 2 cups of cold water to the magic mixture and put into a large
saucepan. Over medium heat, cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until
thickened. Add the main ingredient and heat for a few more minutes. If
it's a little too thick, just add water to thin it or if it's too thin,
ad a tablespoon or two of dry milk powder."

I've been meaning to test this with fresh tomatoes. I'm not used to
cooking with dried milk, so I'm unfamiliar with its properties and
virtues. This might be good; it was at leastd intriguing enough for me to
clip the item and save it.

--Barbara

Lynn Nelson

Jun 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/30/97
to L.P.

L.P. wrote:

> Can someone please post some recipes from the Make a Mix Book and/or
> OAMC recipes? I've never tried cooking for the entire month but it
> sounds very interesting!

There is an online version of Once a Month Cooking. It is not the same
book (by Wilson & Lagerborg), but the concept is the same. It is at:
http://www.wisepub.com/cookpg1.htm

For more recipes, tips and information on cooking for the freezer, check
out these pages on my web site:
http://busycooks.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa040797.htm
http://busycooks.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa050597.htm

Lynn