HELP: Adapting muffin recipes for cakes??

1 view

Gloria Lai-ping Chow

Dec 1, 1992, 1:55:50 PM12/1/92
Help, I just moved to France (I am posting from Canada because I don't have
any posting priviledge with my French account :< ), and the fact is :
I just can't find ANY muffin pan in this country!! Not very surprising
considering I have yet to see any muffin being sold any where :(
Yet, with all these delicious sounding muffin recipes posted here recently,
I am DYING to make my own. So, here is a question for all you cooks
extraordinary out there :

Is it okay to prepare batter as prescribed in a muffin recipe but bake
it in a cake pan. If so, is there anything I should watch out for.
Let's assume a 9X9 square pan is being used, just hypothetically of
course :) (Okay, I admit it, I am disaster-prone, anything that could go
wrong, will go wrong with me)
I assume it will take a little longer, RIGHT?? Is there anything else,
such as ingredient proportion, altering some basic ingredients,
a bomb-proof jacket and helmet, absolutely anything?

Eternally in your debt,
Gloria

oo...@msu.oscs.montana.edu

Dec 2, 1992, 9:55:48 AM12/2/92
In article <gloria.723236150@swanlake>, glo...@cs.UAlberta.CA (Gloria Lai-ping Chow) writes:
>Help, I just moved to France (I am posting from Canada because I don't have
>any posting priviledge with my French account :< ), and the fact is :
>I just can't find ANY muffin pan in this country!! Not very surprising
>considering I have yet to see any muffin being sold any where :(
>Yet, with all these delicious sounding muffin recipes posted here recently,
>I am DYING to make my own. So, here is a question for all you cooks
>extraordinary out there :

You can make "muffin tops" on a cookie sheet. Just mix up the batter, put
large globs on a cookie sheet, and bake. I've done this, it works.

morr...@stsci.edu

Dec 2, 1992, 1:00:11 PM12/2/92
In article <gloria.723236150@swanlake>, glo...@cs.UAlberta.CA (Gloria Lai-ping Chow) writes:
>Help, I just moved to France (I am posting from Canada because I don't have
>any posting priviledge with my French account :< ), and the fact is :
>I just can't find ANY muffin pan in this country!! Not very surprising
>considering I have yet to see any muffin being sold any where :(
>Yet, with all these delicious sounding muffin recipes posted here recently,
>I am DYING to make my own. So, here is a question for all you cooks
>extraordinary out there :

Try baking in a loaf pan. It should be about the same consistancy as
quick breads. I would guess that it would need to be baked anywhere from
40 to 60 minutes depending on the size of the loaf pan at about 350F.

Janet Morrissey
"Mostly Harmless"

Annice Grinberg

Dec 3, 1992, 4:54:36 AM12/3/92
In article <gloria.723236150@swanlake>

glo...@cs.UAlberta.CA (Gloria Lai-ping Chow) writes:

Most muffin recipes can be used to make quick breads. Just grease the
loaf pan(s), fill 2/3 full, and bake till done (will be longer than for
muffins. You might also want to lower the oven temp a bit.

Annice