OT: Phyllis Diller died

spamtrap1888

Aug 20, 2012, 3:40:57 PM8/20/12
My mother took us to see all her movies in the 1960s. She was the
first woman I ever heard talking about plastic surgery.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 20, 2012, 4:27:19 PM8/20/12
On Aug 20, 2:40 pm, spamtrap1888 <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My mother took us to see all her movies in the 1960s. She was the
> first woman I ever heard talking about plastic surgery.

She lead a long life before leaving this world at age 95.

George M. Middius

Aug 20, 2012, 4:50:46 PM8/20/12
itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

> > My mother took us to see all her movies in the 1960s. She was the
> > first woman I ever heard talking about plastic surgery.

> She lead a long life before leaving this world at age 95.

Have you ever seen Fang?

Krypsis

Aug 20, 2012, 4:53:50 PM8/20/12
Has anyone seen Fang?

--

Krypsis

Michel Boucher

Aug 20, 2012, 5:33:34 PM8/20/12
Krypsis <kry...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in news:k0u85n$3au$1@dont-
email.me:

>> Have you ever seen Fang?
>
> Has anyone seen Fang?

I've seen The Craw (No, no, not the Craw...the CRAW!). Does that
count?

--

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Dave Smith

Aug 20, 2012, 5:36:58 PM8/20/12
On 20/08/2012 3:40 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> My mother took us to see all her movies in the 1960s. She was the
> first woman I ever heard talking about plastic surgery.

I just saw that online a minute ago. I have not seen or heard anything
of her in years. I immediately thought of a contestant on the Gong Show
who did a very good Phyllis Diller impersonation and cracked a joke
about the new Bird Dog Bra. It makes pointers out of setters.

spamtrap1888

Aug 20, 2012, 5:17:59 PM8/20/12
On Aug 20, 1:53 pm, Krypsis <kryp...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> >> She lead a long life before leaving this world at age 95.
>
> > Have you ever seen Fang?
>
> Has anyone seen Fang?

I thought Fang belonged to Soupy Sales.

merryb

Aug 20, 2012, 7:09:05 PM8/20/12
LOL- she was one funny woman. She was also musical and got into
painting. Did you know she posed for Playboy? They never printed the
pics as apparently her body wasn't as bad as she let on, and they
thought she looked too good!

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 21, 2012, 12:03:08 AM8/21/12
On Aug 20, 3:50 pm, George M. Middius <glanb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hahahaaaaa, no and I agree with Krypsis, has _anyone_ ever seen
Fang?

sf

Aug 21, 2012, 2:05:55 AM8/21/12
Phyllis Diller was a movie star? I've always thought of her as a
television comedienne.

sf

Aug 21, 2012, 2:06:49 AM8/21/12
Wasn't that her first husband? He died a long time ago.

spamtrap1888

Aug 21, 2012, 2:32:11 AM8/21/12
On Aug 20, 11:05 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 12:40:57 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
>
> <spamtrap1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My mother took us to see all her movies in the 1960s. She was the
> > first woman I ever heard talking about plastic surgery.
>
> Phyllis Diller was a movie star?  I've always thought of her as a
> television comedienne.

She made three movies with Bob Hope. The first was a little racy for
us, but hey, Bob Hope:

Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number
Eight On The Lam
The Private Navy of Sgt. O'Ferrell

George M. Middius

Aug 21, 2012, 9:46:43 AM8/21/12
sf wrote:

> > > Have you ever seen Fang?
> > >

> > Hahahaaaaa, no and I agree with Krypsis, has _anyone_ ever seen
> > Fang?
>
> Wasn't that her first husband? He died a long time ago.

I thought he was a made-up punchline.

Brooklyn1

Aug 21, 2012, 9:54:05 AM8/21/12
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:03:08 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

Fang: http://i46.tinypic.com/34g0w2e.jpg

Dave Smith

Aug 21, 2012, 11:04:38 AM8/21/12
She had been married (and divorced) several times, but "Fang" was fictional.

jmcquown

Aug 21, 2012, 12:02:19 PM8/21/12
Perhaps it was a generic description for all of her husbands, combined.

Jill

sf

Aug 21, 2012, 12:36:34 PM8/21/12
Thanks. Hadn't even heard of two out of three of those movies and not
so sure about the one I think I've heard of. We didn't go to the
movies very much when I was a kid. Saw a Disney movie every now &
then and that was about it.

dsi1

Aug 21, 2012, 2:24:53 PM8/21/12
She was using the time-honored shtick of dissing your spouse. That's
pretty old school. Most stand-ups can't pull it off nor would they want
to these days.

Dave Smith

Aug 21, 2012, 2:51:15 PM8/21/12
On 21/08/2012 2:24 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> She was using the time-honored shtick of dissing your spouse. That's
> pretty old school. Most stand-ups can't pull it off nor would they want
> to these days.

I don't know about that. I have heard some pretty funny comedy bits
about spouses lately.

Chemo

Aug 21, 2012, 2:59:19 PM8/21/12
she was in a ton of movies. some funny and some serious. Google
"Phyllis Diller Movies".

George M. Middius

Aug 21, 2012, 3:18:15 PM8/21/12
Billy Gardell is one.

dsi1

Aug 21, 2012, 4:28:35 PM8/21/12
I'm not too hip to the current crop of comics. If I was a stand-up, I'd
get married just for the material.

Gary

Aug 21, 2012, 4:29:18 PM8/21/12
Fang wasn't a real husband. She never discussed her real ones on tv. I loved
her roles in the Bob Hope movies. Phillis ruled.

G.

Dave Smith

Aug 21, 2012, 4:39:50 PM8/21/12
On 21/08/2012 4:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> She was using the time-honored shtick of dissing your spouse. That's
>>> pretty old school. Most stand-ups can't pull it off nor would they want
>>> to these days.
>>

>> I don't know about that. I have heard some pretty funny comedy bits
>> about spouses lately.
>
> I'm not too hip to the current crop of comics. If I was a stand-up, I'd
> get married just for the material.

I think that Louis CK telling about his wife giving him the world's
saddest hand job qualifies as using one's spouse as gag material....
no pun intended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=betkymYDzfg

dsi1

Aug 21, 2012, 5:23:39 PM8/21/12
I'm not a big fan of Louis CK but that's pretty funny. I tend to like
those anti-social angry guys like Brian Posehn and Patton Oswalt. I'd
like to spend more time listening to comics but that's getting hard to do.

Dave Smith

Aug 21, 2012, 5:48:21 PM8/21/12
On 21/08/2012 5:23 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I'm not a big fan of Louis CK but that's pretty funny. I tend to like
> those anti-social angry guys like Brian Posehn and Patton Oswalt. I'd
> like to spend more time listening to comics but that's getting hard to do.

I like comedy shows, but on my own terms. I download the comedy shows
from the CBC web site and load them onto my MP3 player and listen to
them at the gym or in the car.

spamtrap1888

Aug 21, 2012, 7:24:04 PM8/21/12
What do you like?

I used to be able to get CBC North and R-C on the big dish, but then
it all went away. I liked Just for Laughs, This Hour, and the Air
Farce.

Dave Smith

Aug 21, 2012, 9:29:13 PM8/21/12
On 21/08/2012 7:24 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:

>> I like comedy shows, but on my own terms. I download the comedy shows
>> from the CBC web site and load them onto my MP3 player and listen to
>> them at the gym or in the car.
>
> What do you like?
>
> I used to be able to get CBC North and R-C on the big dish, but then
> it all went away. I liked Just for Laughs, This Hour, and the Air
> Farce.

Those are TV shows. I download the CBC radio shows; The Comedy Factory,
The Debaters, The Irrelevant Show, Laugh Out Loud, and This Is That.

http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/

dsi1

Aug 21, 2012, 9:51:17 PM8/21/12
That sounds like a good plan. I stopped listening to recordings on
headphones about 25 years ago. I no longer enjoy music being pumped
directly to my brain pan. These days it's not enjoyable. It used to be
but not anymore. That's the breaks.