What would you do with a Phyllo dough?!

1 view

Isadora S Cohen

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
In article <35bd2140...@10.0.2.1>, SRitter <or...@nutcom.com> wrote:

> I'd like to create a great dish using Phyllo. I got some in the freezer,
>and I would like to know what'd you think the best recipe is for Phyllo..?
[and the rest got snipped]

The default use for phyllo (non-commital on sp. my prerogative as non
Roman-alphabet-native) that I'm aware of is burekas, which are basically
the shape I see in the US referred to as "turnovers", i.e. a square of dough
with some filling on it folded into an equilateral triangle and baked.
Traditional fillings are cheese, spinach or potato. I don't have a recipe here
but can have a good one e-mailed to me by the weekend.
Burekas are eastern Mediteranian. The name I'm using is the Sephardi jewish
one, Which is used by Jews from Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey (as well as
Sephardis in the former Yugoslavia, Romania, and other less numerically
prominent communities. And, of course, let's not leave out the Jerusalem
Sephardis, proud souls that they are). I think the Turkish (non-Jewish) name
for them is "Burek", which wouldn't be terribly surprising. They most
probably have names in other languages of the region, but I can't tell you
what those would be.
So, should I have my mother fax the recipe?
-I.

SRitter

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98

I'd like to create a great dish using Phyllo. I got some in the freezer,
and I would like to know what'd you think the best recipe is for Phyllo..?

I have used it once before, a long time ago with medium success.

Preferably - a meat/fish recipe. Not a ton of sugar and nuts type of
recipe. I prefer salty stuff:)

Please reply with your best recipe so I may try it!

Thanks ahead..

Steve - "Iron Dad"
or...@nutcom.com
Change NUTCOM to NETCOM to Email

************************
My Page - Iron Chef Fun!
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/7031

SRitter

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98

By all means please! Have mom fire up the ole' Fax! I have not even
considered the ethnic fallout on Phyllo. I think I was thinking locally,
And I should have been thinking globally, and beyond that.. Time
Travelly. (I guess I just coined that. Hm..)

I suppose now I got to go in search of the "History and origin of Phyllo
(Filo.. whatever:)"

I'd be honored to have your mom's recipe. It'd be a great way to taste
history:)

I'm a very creative and versatile cook. And I could certainly come up
with something delicious. But I'd like to start with the classics.

Thanks ahead!

On 27 Jul 1998 23:48:21 -0400, isa...@emily.oit.umass.edu (Isadora S
Cohen) humbly offered the following :

[-]>In article <35bd2140...@10.0.2.1>, SRitter <or...@nutcom.com> wrote:
[-]>>
[-]>>
[-]>> I'd like to create a great dish using Phyllo. I got some in the freezer,
[-]>>and I would like to know what'd you think the best recipe is for Phyllo..?
[-]>[and the rest got snipped]
[-]>
[...]

Moonshine

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98

I had a friend from Sarajevo (sp!) who made what she called "cheese pie"
with phyllo dough and farmer's cheese, and she said spinach worked well in
it also. She rolled them up into hand-sized rolls and they were delicious?
Anyone ever heard of this and have a recipe?

Isadora S Cohen

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
In article <35bd5e77...@10.0.2.1>, SRitter <or...@nutcom.com> wrote:

> By all means please! Have mom fire up the ole' Fax! I have not even
>considered the ethnic fallout on Phyllo. I think I was thinking locally,
>And I should have been thinking globally, and beyond that.. Time
>Travelly. (I guess I just coined that. Hm..)

> I suppose now I got to go in search of the "History and origin of Phyllo
>(Filo.. whatever:)"

> I'd be honored to have your mom's recipe. It'd be a great way to taste
>history:)

Sorry to dissapoint, but the recipe is not mom's. I come from a line of humble
eastern European Ashkenazis. Mom's house is where the cookbook is that
contains the recipe, along with many others of my books. If it's any
consolation, that particular recipe came from one of the more prominent
Jerusalem Sephardi families, our local aristocracy, such as it is,
of which, as I have already hinted, we are not members.
This coming weekend, or early next week.
-I.

hy...@webtv.net

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
ok, i do not have a recipe for you, just one i have tried and it was
DELICIOUS! it was simply phyllo dough wrapped around a chunk of salmon
and baked. it was served with a sauce on the side, but i cannot remember
what kind, and it tasted better without it! i hope this gives you
something to work with!

IMOCKU

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
> I'd like to create a great dish using Phyllo. I got some in the freezer,
>>and I would like to know what'd you think the best recipe is for Phyllo..?

For a brunch, I like to scramble eggs with cheese and ham or bacon and then
roll it inside the phyllo and bake until golden brown.

Also, you can make a spanikopita type filling with feta cheese and spinach.
Just make sure that the spinach is WELL DRAINED or you will have a mess.

Either way, bake it on a well greased cookie sheet with no side (so that you
can slip it onto a platter easily.)

Once baked, phyllo will be quite fragile.

There is of course my favorite way to fill phyllo - Pigs in blankets (or, as we
call them in my family, white trash weenies - nothing personal intended).

Ilene (NY)
IMO...@aol.com
I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused.

eva kende

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98

---snip--

---snip-----

>Ilene (NY)
>IMO...@aol.com
>I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused.

Here is a tip: If you are worried about your filling for any pastry
being too liquidy scatter a bit of farina (Cream of Wheat) on the
pastry before adding the filling. It will mop up the extra liquid and
no one will notice it's existence!

Eva
<>O<>O<>O<>O<>O<>O<>O<>O<>O<><>O<>O<>
Eva Kende author of Eva's Hungarian Kitchen and
Eva's Kitchen Confidence
Please visit my home page
http://www.banff.net/users/ekende
<>O<>O<>O<>O<>O<>O<>O<>O<>O<>O<><>O<>

madam...@ibm.net

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:57:35 GMT, or...@nutcom.com (SRitter) wrote:

> I'd like to create a great dish using Phyllo. I got some in the freezer,
>and I would like to know what'd you think the best recipe is for Phyllo..?

>I have used it once before, a long time ago with medium success.
>
> Preferably - a meat/fish recipe. Not a ton of sugar and nuts type of
>recipe. I prefer salty stuff:)
>
> Please reply with your best recipe so I may try it!
>
> Thanks ahead..

Here's two that you might like. You could bake the first one instead
of fying it.

....Sharon

Samosa In Filo With Sookha Keema

indonesian

2 tablespoons light vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped onions
4 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger root
2 green chilies, seeded and minced
1 pound lean ground lamb or beef
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/4 cup hot water
2 teaspoons garam masala
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves,
Filo Dough

Heat the oil in a skillet or large frying pan and add the onions. Fry
the onions over medium-high heat until they turn caramel brown
(about 10 minutes), stirring constantly to ensure even browning.

Add garlic, ginger, and green chilies, and cook for an additional 2

minutes. Add lamb or beef, and cook until the meat loses its pink
color and begins to brown. Sprinkle cinnamon, cloves, cardamom,
turmeric and salt over the meat, stir for a moment or two, and then
add 1/4 cup hot water.
Reduce heat, cover, and let the meat cook thoroughly for about 25
minutes, stirring the mixture often to prevent burning. (The moisture
should be totally absorbed; if it is not, uncover the pan, increase
the heat, and cook until all the moisture has evaporated.)

Turn off heat and stir in garam masala, lemon juice, and chopped
coriander.

Lay out a sheet of filo dough, brush it with butter, repeat 3 more
times. Cut into 4 long strips. Place keema at the base of one strip
and fold up like a flag into a triangle. Repeat with the second strip.
Continue in this fashion and use up all the keema.

Fry filo triangles in a deep fat fryer with oil at 375 degrees.

Yield: 4 servings

TASTE

SHOW #TS4814

Vegetable Strudel

vegetables

1/2 cup julienne carrots
1/2 cup julienne celery
1/2 cup julienne zucchini
1/2 cup julienne red and green bell peppers
1 each minced shallot
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 tablespoon fresh basil
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup Boursin cheese or light cream cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1 box phyllo dough
1/4 cup margarine (melted) or canola oil

Saute first seven ingredients in 3 tablespoons canola oil until al

dente.

Add white wine, cook an additional five minutes. Remove from heat, add

cheese and mix thoroughly. Set aside to cool. Take two sheets of
phyllo dough and using pastry brush, brush with margarine or oil. Cut
phyllo into 8-inch by 8-inch squares. Place the vegetable mixture in
the bottom of the phyllo square, fold over sides and roll up. Brush
outside of strudels with margarine or oil. Bake on rack on a sheet
tray at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

(Courtesy of Chef Scott Hunnel, Victoria and Albert's
at Disney's Grand Floridian Beach Resort)
Posted by:Rich Byrnes
Enjoy!

Alan Boles

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98

SRitter wrote in message <35bd2140...@10.0.2.1>...

> I'd like to create a great dish using Phyllo. I got some in the freezer,
>and I would like to know what'd you think the best recipe is for Phyllo..?

I once saw a dessert recipe using phyllo pastry,lemon cheese, and marang
(browned with a blow torch). butter dough and sprinkle with brown sugar fold
inhalf or put on another sheet of dough, repeat a few times. bake until
golden brown, Cut pastry into triangles. Pipe on lemon cheese cover with
another triangle of pastry,more lemon cheese and top with marang. Brown
marang with propane blow torch . Please forgive spelling.

lori...@mindspring.com

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
This is the only thing I've tried with phyllo dough, but I like it. It's nice
for entertaining - it looks fairly fancy. (And since it's a company dish, you
can ignore the fact that it's entirely bad for you.)

Linda's Phyllo Chicken and Broccoli

from Six Ingredients or Less Chicken Cookbook

6 chicken breast halves, cooked, cut into small pieces
2 1/2 cups broccoli flowerettes
2 cups sour cream
10 sheets Phyllo
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Steam the broccoli until it turns bright green and is not quite crisp-tender.
(Don't overcook.) Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Cut
the flowerettes into small peices and set aside. Combine the chicken and
sour cream and set aside.

Lay out one sheet of phyllo (keep remaining phyllo covered with wax paper and
a slightly damp paper towel to prevent drying out). Brush with melted
butter. Top with second sheet of phyllo and brush with butter. Repeat until
you have 5 sheets. Spread phyllo with half the chicken mixture, leaving a 2
inch border all the way around. Sprinkle with half the broccoli and half the
cheese. Fold the 2 inch border over, covering the outer edge of the filling.
Brush with butter. Starting with short end, roll up jelly-roll style.
Place seam side down on a baking sheet. Brush with butter (again ;)).
Repeat with second half of ingredients. (At this point, you can wrap the
rolls with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Another reason I like
this one for entertaining.)

Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden (may take longer if the rolls
have been refrigerated), Slice each roll into 4 to 6 slices. Makes 6 to 8
servings. (Last time I made it, we served 6 at dinner, and had a little left
over, so that estimate is about right.)

Nice served with a wild rice medley, carrots (maybe with a brown sugar glaze)
or yellow squash, and a simple green salad.

Enjoy!

Lori
---
Lori Cammie Rice
lori...@mindspring.com
Apex, NC USA

In article <35bd2140...@10.0.2.1>,

or...@nutcom.com wrote:

> I'd like to create a great dish using Phyllo. I got some in the freezer,
> and I would like to know what'd you think the best recipe is for Phyllo..?

> I have used it once before, a long time ago with medium success.
>
> Preferably - a meat/fish recipe. Not a ton of sugar and nuts type of
> recipe. I prefer salty stuff:)
>
> Please reply with your best recipe so I may try it!
>
> Thanks ahead..
>

> Steve - "Iron Dad"
> or...@nutcom.com
> Change NUTCOM to NETCOM to Email

IMOCKU

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
>Here is a tip: If you are worried about your filling for any pastry
>being too liquidy scatter a bit of farina (Cream of Wheat) on the
>pastry before adding the filling. It will mop up the extra liquid and
>no one will notice it's existence!

Very interesting. I'll try it. Thanks!

Big Willie

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
sounds great--here is my fav phyllo dish---

cajun egg rolls
andouille sausage (about 1/2 lb)
shrimp-1/2-1 lb, uncooked
bell pepper
celery
onion garlic
phyllo dough sheets

sauté vegs til soft in olive oil---i did not put proportions, because it
does not really matter--use to your taste
add andouille and shrimp---sautee til shrimp are cooked

roll up spoonfuls of mixture in phyllo sheets like an egg roll--bake until
browned---

serve with a good seafood sauce, or with a good bbq sauce

--

I was sad that I had no shoes 'til I met a man that had no feet...
So I took his--I mean, he's not going to need them, right?

lori...@mindspring.com wrote in message
<6pm0j6$s3i$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

Relaena Sindelar

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
SRitter <or...@nutcom.com> requested:

Isadora S Cohen wrote:
> The default use for phyllo (non-commital on sp. my prerogative as non

> Roman-alphabet-native) that I'm aware of is burekas

:: fascinating bit of culture snipped:::

> So, should I have my mother fax the recipe?

Yes!!!!!

Relaena