Bulgar/cracked wheat

Aquari

Jun 7, 2001, 9:22:35 AM6/7/01
Aside from tabbouleh, what other recipes do you have to use this grain? I have
a bag of bulgar and I'd like some other ways to use it even though I love
tabbouleh. TIA

Libby

Curly Sue

Jun 7, 2001, 9:45:15 AM6/7/01
Pilaf.

Sue(tm)

sue at interport dotnet

Dimitri

Jun 7, 2001, 10:18:53 AM6/7/01

"Aquari" <aqu...@aol.comNOJUNK> wrote in message

Wallpaper paste! ;-)

At least that is what you could use the leftovers for at my grandmothers
house.

Use it as you would rice, or any other whole grain. Do a recipe search
you'll find tons.

Dimitri

Bulgar Bread
1 c. dry bulgar wheat
3 c. boiling water
1/2 c. honey
2 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. salt
2 pkgs. yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1/4 c. wheat germ (opt.)

Mix first 5 ingredients, soak and cool until lukewarm. Combine yeast and
1/4 cup warm water. Knead all ingredients together for 5 minutes. Place in
greased bowl. Let rise until double. Punch down, form 2 loaves. Bake 45
to 50 minutes in 350 degree oven. The white flour can also be replaced with
some wheat flour.

BULGAR PILAF

3 c. water or chicken broth
1/2 c. brown rice
1 c. bulgar wheat
1 c. each chopped: carrots, celery
and onions
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring broth to boil, add rice, reduce heat, tightly cover and cook for 30
minutes. Add remaining ingredients return to a boil and reduce heat to
maintain a simmer. Cover and cook 10 to 20 minutes longer, until rice and
bulgar are tender.

Melba's Jammin'

Jun 7, 2001, 11:07:09 AM6/7/01
In article <9fo2e5$3li8$1...@newssvr06-en0.news.prodigy.com>, "Dimitri"
<Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> "Aquari" <aqu...@aol.comNOJUNK> wrote in message
> > Aside from tabbouleh, what other recipes do you have to use this grain?
> have
> > a bag of bulgar and I'd like some other ways to use it even though I
> > love
> > tabbouleh. TIA
> >
> > Libby

(snip)

> Dimitri
>
> Bulgar Bread
> 1 c. dry bulgar wheat
> 3 c. boiling water
> 1/2 c. honey
> 2 tbsp. oil
> 1 tbsp. salt
> 2 pkgs. yeast
> 1/4 c. warm water
> 1/4 c. wheat germ (opt.)
>
> Mix first 5 ingredients, soak and cool until lukewarm. Combine yeast
> and
> 1/4 cup warm water. Knead all ingredients together for 5 minutes. Place
> in
> greased bowl. Let rise until double. Punch down, form 2 loaves. Bake
> 45
> to 50 minutes in 350 degree oven. The white flour can also be replaced
> with
> some wheat flour.

Errrrm, what white flour would that be, Dimitri?
--
On June 25, celebrating 55 or 56 years of thrills and laughs. "Shop Early,
Shop Often, Shop Big."

Shoshana

Jun 7, 2001, 11:22:10 AM6/7/01
I used to do something with bulgur wheat which went along the lines of:
including several good glugs of white wine in the soaking liquid, adding
pinenuts and some gently sauteed finely sliced white cabbage and onion, and
then baking it with a smidge of butter on the top. I seem to remember
layering it in a casserole dish and occasionally adding the odd bit of
cheese.
Sorry this is all a bit vague, I haven't made it in years. If I find the
recipe I'll post it :-)

Shoshana

Dimitri

Jun 7, 2001, 11:22:55 AM6/7/01
Wow - Thanks Barb.

It appears the recipe I posted is incomplete;

Please disregard it here'e another:

Oh Yes and congratulations. - You're just a baby! :-)

Dimitri

CRACKED WHEAT BREAD

1 1/2 c. boiling water
3/4 c. cracked wheat (bulgar)
2 pkg. yeast
1/4 c. very warm water
1/2 tsp. sugar or honey
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 c. unsulphured molasses
2 tbsp. honey
1/4 c. butter
1 tsp. salt
1 c. buttermilk
2 c. white flour
1 c. whole wheat
1 c. cracked wheat
1/8 c. wheat germ

Pour 1 1/2 cups boiling water over 3/4 cup cracked wheat (bulgar). Let
stand 1 hour. Sprinkle 2 packages yeast over 1/4 cup very warm water. Add
1/2 teaspoon sugar or honey, 1/4 teaspoon ginger. Let stand 10 minutes or
so until bubbly. Heat 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses, 2 tablespoons honey,
1/4 cup butter, 1 teaspoon salt. Then add 1 cup buttermilk. Add buttermilk
mixture and 2 cups white flour to yeast. Beat by hand and stir in 1 cup
whole wheat flour and 1 cup cracked wheat flour and 1/8 cup wheat germ and
then add the bulgar. Take 1 cup white flour and use as needed on the bread
board. Knead for 10 minutes or until elastic. Place in greased bowl and
let rise. Knead and make loaves. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.

<snip>

Michael Edelman

Jun 7, 2001, 12:53:03 PM6/7/01
How about kibbee? I found this recipe which looks pretty good:

1 lb Ground lamb or beef
1 1/2 c Bulgar (ground wheat)
2 md Onions, chopped fine to med
1/2 c Pinenuts, optional
1/2 c Olive oil
1/4 ts Allspice
Salt
1/8 ts Cinnamon
1/3 c Flour (or more)
Paprika

In a heavy pan, combine meat, onions, allspice and cinnamon on
medium flame and cook until all the pink is gone. Keep pressing meat so
pieces of onion disappear, about 10 minutes. In a bowl, soak bulgar in
warm water to cover. Cover bowl; let stand until all the water is
absorbed, about 15-20 minutes. In bulgar, drain all water (if any is
left). Combine flour, salt and olive oil. Mix so that ingredients stick
together. Grease baking pan with oil. Spread half the bulgar mixture on
bottom of pan. Put meat mixture on top; add pinenuts. Top with rest of
bulgar. Cut into squares and sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 30 minutes
at 350 degrees.

-- mike
Michael Edelman m...@spamcop.net
http://www.foldingkayaks.org (nomadics)
http://www.findascope.com (choosing a telescope)

Cryambers

Jun 7, 2001, 1:04:32 PM6/7/01
aqu...@aol.comNOJUNK (Aquari) wrote:

Here are two recipes I like. The first is a side dish, the second a main dish.

Bulgur with Mushrooms
Source: The Martha Stewart Cookbook (for Every Day), p. 382
(4 Servings)

1 cup bulgur or cracked wheat
1 cup warm beef stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
1 large shallot, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper

Combine the bulgur and stock in a bowl and let soak until tender, approximately
45 minutes. After soaking, place the bulgur in a sieve and let the excess
stock drain off.

In a medium skillet, combine the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter;
saute the mushrooms until they are well browned, about 10 minutes.

In a large skillet, melt the remaining butter and saute the shallot until
tender but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the bulgur and thyme and heat
thoroughly. Add the mushrooms and season to taste. Serve hot.

***********************************
Armenian-Style Chicken with Bulgur
Source: Bert Greene, THE GRAINS COOKBOOK
(4 Servings)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
whole chicken, cut into serving pieces (3 1/2 pounds)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small hot red pepper, seeded, deveined, and minced
2 cups homemade chicken stock, or canned broth
1 cup bulgur
1/2 cup broken walnut pieces
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil, or 1/2 teaspoon dried

Heat the oil with the butter in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
Sprinkle the chicken pieces with the salt, pepper, and thyme, and saute, a few
pieces at a time, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer the pieces to
a plate as they are done.

Remove all but 1 tablespoon fat from the skillet. Add the onion and cook over
medium-low heat, scraping the sides and bottom of the pan, for 2 minutes. Add
the garlic and hot pepper; cook 4 minutes longer.

Return the chicken pieces to the skillet, stir in the stock, and heat to
boiling. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

Using tongs, remove the chicken pieces to a plate. Stir the bulgur into the
cooking juices, and add the walnuts and honey. Mix well and return the chicken
pieces. Continue to cook, covered, until the chicken and bulgur are tender and
all liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes longer. Turn off the heat and
let the skillet stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Before serving, fluff the
bulgur with a fork, and sprinkle with the mint and basil.

Becca

Jun 7, 2001, 1:12:42 PM6/7/01
> Aside from tabbouleh, what other recipes do you have to use this grain?

I've used cracked wheat in baked kibbie and in stuffed cabbage.

Becca

Aquari

Jun 7, 2001, 3:31:09 PM6/7/01
> Aside from tabbouleh, what other recipes do you have to use this grain?

Thanks for all the ideas! They sound terrific. Going to try some this week and
Dimitri's revised bread recipe this weekend.

Libby

Leila A

Jun 7, 2001, 5:31:49 PM6/7/01

Michael Edelman wrote:

> How about kibbee? I found this recipe which looks pretty good:

Michael, I don't know about this recipe. The technique is pretty weird,
not what I would do, nor what Claudia Roden, the author Middle East
Cooking (a definitive text) would do. Your ingredients list looks okay
but the technique is strange...

> 1 lb Ground lamb or beef
> 1 1/2 c Bulgar (ground wheat)
> 2 md Onions, chopped fine to med
> 1/2 c Pinenuts, optional
> 1/2 c Olive oil
> 1/4 ts Allspice
> Salt
> 1/8 ts Cinnamon
> 1/3 c Flour (or more)
> Paprika
>
> In a heavy pan, combine meat, onions, allspice and cinnamon on
> medium flame and cook until all the pink is gone.

Snip

Here's my recipe from a 2 year old post:

(based on a recipe by Claudia Roden from The Book of Jewish Food - my
revisions in parentheses)

This dish took very little time to prepare when I used my trusty food
processor.

Baked kibbeh is usually made with two bulgur/meat shell layers and one
central layer of meat fried with onions and pine nuts.

For the meat shell:

2 1/2 cups (500 g) fine ground bulghur wheat (cracked wheat) (Leila's
note - I used 1 cup of bulghur for this much meat)
About 2 teaspoons salt (I'd start with a little less)
1 large onion, quartered
1 pound (500 g) lean lamb
Pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice

For the filling:

1 large onion, chopped
3 tablespoons sunflower oil (I used olive)
1 1/2 lbs (750 g) ground lamb, preferably fatty (I used much less than
this, and used the same extra lean ground lamb I used for the shell.
You can also use beef for the filling and lamb for the shell)
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup (100 g) pine nuts

2-3 tablespoons sunflower oil

For the shell, soak the bulgur in lots of cold water for about 15
minutes. Rinse in a sieve, press to drain thoroughly.

PRocess onion in a food processor. Add the meat, blend to a paste.
take out and mix wtih bulghur & flavorings. Process, in batches, to a
soft, well blended, doughlike paste.

For the filling, fry the onion in the oil until soft. Add the ground
meat, salt, pepper, cinnamon and allspice and fry, turning and
crushing the meat with a fork, until it has changed color. Add the
pine nuts and mix well.

Grease a large shallow baking dish with oil. Press half the shell
paste evenly on the bottom, about 1/2 an inch thick. Spread the
filling on top and cover with the rest of the paste. You'll need to
flatten the paste in sections between your palms, then apply to the
top. Patch any holes and press firmly.

Use a pointed knife to score the meat in straight or diagonal lines
(to make squares or diamonds). Dot each square wtih an additional pine
nut, if you like. MOst recipes suggest brushing the top with more oil,
or butter, or (shudder) CRISCO (no, no, no, please don't).

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes.

A further note from Leila: a lovely German friend of ours, married to
a Lebanese school chum of my father's, served us Kibbeh made with
ground turkey. I think she used beef for the filling (tastier).
Turkey kibbeh was quite delicious and I am not at all offended at the
non-traditional ingredients..., although there may be a Kibbeh
Princess out there in cyberspace waiting to flame me for my radical
reforms.

I made kibbeh without a recipe last night, not remembering at all
about brushing the top with oil or fat, and it came out perfectly
fine. As a matter of fact, there was more fat in the side of the dish,
after the loaf had shrunk away from the pan, than I was expecting to
see. Perhaps the store-ground lamb I bought is not as lean as they
claim...

Regards,

Leila A./Tabbouli Princess

cmsudairy

Jun 7, 2001, 5:36:45 PM6/7/01
Bulgur Hot Cereal

1 cup bulgur
2 cups water
¼ cup chopped dates
½ teaspoon salt

Combine bulgur, water, dates and salt in a saucepan over low heat. Bring to a
boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until bulgur is tender. Remove from
heat and serve warm.

Serves 6.
More bulgur recipes: http://www.sudairy.com/mer/recipes.html