REC: Leek & Sausage Pie

Koko

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

I was going through some of my old cookbooks when I came across this.
It's been a while since I've made it but I do remember it is excellent.
Can't believe I didn't keep track of this one. I must get organized,
I must get organized, I must get organized.

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Leek and Sausage Pie

Recipe By : Piret's Cookbook
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Savory Pie

PASTRY
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour -- unbleached
pinch salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons caraway seed
1/2 cup unsalted butter -- chilled
3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
FILLING
2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese -- freshly grated
12 ounces bulk sausage
dried thyme and sage (optional) -- to taste
6 leeks
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/3 cup butter -- melted
1/2 cup swiss cheese -- freshly grated
2 1/2 cups milk -- scalded
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- freshly grated

PASTRY:
Stir together the flour, salt, mustard, and caraway seeds. Cut in the
butter, working the mixture with your fingers or two knives until it
resembles coarse meal. Quickly stir in the ice water with a fork. Gather
the dough into a flattened disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and
refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400* F
Roll the pastry no more than 1/4 inch thick, fit into 9-11 inch deep pie
pan, pinch up a rim, prick the bottom all over with a fork and bake
"blind" for 15 minutes. Remove it from the oven, and reduce the heat to
350*F. Place on baking sheet.
FILLING
Stir together the bread crumbs and the 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
and sprinkle them in the pastry shell. Cook the sausage, breaking it up
as it cooks. Drain it thoroughly on paper towels. Taste the sausage and
season with thyme and sage if it tastes bland. Sprinkle the sausage over
the bread crumbs and cheese in the pastry shell.
Thoroughly wash the leeks, and slice them, taking both the white and the
tender green. Melt the 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium
heat and cook the leeks until they are soft. Whisk together the whole
eggs and egg yolks. Whisk in the mustard, salt, cayenne pepper, melted
butter, swiss cheese, scalded milk, and the cooked leeks. Spoon the
mixture into the pastry shell, top with remaining Parmesan cheese, and
bake the pie for 25 minutes, or until custard is puffed and golden and a
knife inserted in the custard comes out clean. Serve the pie warm or at
room temperature.

Serving Ideas : serve with a dark beer
Koko

A Yuman being on the net