Using Balsamic Vinegar

Judi Mancuso

Apr 2, 1993, 1:42:20 PM4/2/93

Hi--
As a gift last Xmas, we received a beautiful decanter with "Modena" (or
something like this) Balsamic vinegar from some relatives in Canada--
along with the following recipe:

(I can't recall the name of this dessert--something Italain)

3 cups of hulled, cut up fresh strawberries
2 tbls. sugar
3-4 splashes of Balsamic Vingar

Mix berries with sugar and let sit for 1/2 hour. Splash on vinegar and
toss lightly--serve immediately. It really is an interesting flavor and
quite good to boot.

I am looking for other ideas for Balasamic Vinegar. Any good
recipes/ideas out there? Thanks. Judi

Cyndi Smith

Apr 2, 1993, 2:44:03 PM4/2/93
In article <Ufj8YA_00...@andrew.cmu.edu>, Judi Mancuso
<jm...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Hi--
> As a gift last Xmas, we received a beautiful decanter with "Modena" (or
> something like this) Balsamic vinegar from some relatives in Canada--
> along with the following recipe:

> I am looking for other ideas for Balasamic Vinegar. Any good
> recipes/ideas out there? Thanks. Judi

Lucky you - Balsamic Vinegar is a great thing.
I make a BV salad dressing that gets raves:

1/3 cup each BV, EXTRA Virgin Olive Oil, water (or another 1/3 c EVOO)
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teas. each fresh minced basil & oregano (if dried, use 1/4 t each)

Mix well - will probably need to be shaken before each use.

If feeling lazy, BV and EVOO can just be lightly applied to salad and
tossed.
Enjoy!
---
Cyndi Smith Computer Programmer
Department of Biomathematics M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
Phone: 713/794-4938 Fax: 713/792-4262

kwil...@gems.vcu.edu

Apr 2, 1993, 2:22:38 PM4/2/93

One good use I have found for Balsamic vinegar is as a sort of marinade for
meats. I will add a tablespoon or two of the vinegar to a pork roast (rub
it all over the meat to coat it) add a sprig or three of fresh rosemary (or dri)
and a sprinkle of fresh ground pepper. Then cook as usual. Works really
well in the slow-cooker, too, where the flavors have more time to blend.

kathy

hallucinations

Apr 2, 1993, 5:28:19 PM4/2/93
In article <cyn-0204...@129.106.3.103> c...@odin.mda.uth.tmc.edu (Cyndi Smith) writes:
>In article <Ufj8YA_00...@andrew.cmu.edu>, Judi Mancuso
><jm...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>> I am looking for other ideas for Balasamic Vinegar. Any good
>> recipes/ideas out there? Thanks. Judi

I make a steak marinade using cheap grocery store balsamic vinegar.
I'm not sure how much it contributes to the flavor actually...but
it does make a GREAT steak.

I use a mortar and pestle to mix it. If you don't have one, be
creative.

Mix/crush together into a paste:
2-3 good sized cloves of garlic
8-15 black peppercorns
1 tsp (or so) balsamic vinegar.

Really pound this all together so you have a thick dark paste.
Rub this into the sides of a good quality steak. You could also
do this with chicken, I'd imagine. You want it to be nicely coated,
but not a thick coat. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes. Grill or pan
fry or broil (my broiler doesn't work so I usually pan fry) until
it's as done as you like it.

Eat. It should be a little peppery and mostly just very good.

Johanna

Barbara Hlavin

Apr 11, 1993, 6:42:05 PM4/11/93
In article <Ufj8YA_00...@andrew.cmu.edu> Judi Mancuso <jm...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

>I am looking for other ideas for Balasamic Vinegar. Any good
>recipes/ideas out there? Thanks. Judi

During the summer months, when salmon is cheap and plentiful
hereabouts, there's usually some left-over baked salmon in the
refrigerator. One of my favorite "I'm exhausted from heat and
work and don't want to cook a thing" meals is to steam a bunch
of fresh spinach, drain it, plop a piece of cold fish on top,
and sprinkle the whole thing with basalmic vinegar.

Follow with a plate of cantaloupe wedges sprinkled with Madeira
wine and freshly ground black pepper.

--Barbara

William Smith

Apr 12, 1993, 4:52:22 PM4/12/93
Judi Mancuso writes:

I am looking for other ideas for Balasamic Vinegar. Any good
recipes/ideas out there?

Not quite about how to use balsamic vinegar, however it is a story
ABOUT balsamic vinegar.

This weekend we went to a couple of upscale food and grocery stores
in lower Manhattan. Both are at least locally famous. One was
Balducci's and the other was Dean & DeLuca's. Balducci's had
several small wooden barells with aging balsamic vinegar. They
had a sign describing the wood used in the aging barrels, and
how each type of wood imparts a different flavor to the vinegar.

They aged the vinegar at least 10 years and some 20 year old.
They also had some of their vinegar in very attractive bottles
that I normally associate with nice Cognac. The label stated
this was aged 30 years and cost $55.00 for 8.5 oz.

I would love to try some of this stuff, but I sure won't spring
for a bottle. Imagine having to keep your vinegar under lock
and key. Whew!!

William Smith

Judi Mancuso

Apr 15, 1993, 3:29:39 PM4/15/93
William tells us

>They aged the vinegar at least 10 years and some 20 year old.
>They also had some of their vinegar in very attractive bottles
>that I normally associate with nice Cognac. The label stated
>this was aged 30 years and cost $55.00 for 8.5 oz.
>
>I would love to try some of this stuff, but I sure won't spring
>for a bottle. Imagine having to keep your vinegar under lock
>and key. Whew!!
>

>William Smith

You know, the Balsamic Vinegar we got was in this beautiful decanter
from my husband's relatives in Canada. Anyway, a responder to my post
wrote and asked me about it and ended up emailing back to me---saying
that it was worth over $150. FOR VINEGAR? Can you imagine? Now I feel
like some a pretty frivolous person----pouring it on 99 cent
strawberries!!!!!! No wonder it is SOOOOO
good. Judi