White Castles

Sharen Rund

Jun 22, 1994, 11:08:07 AM6/22/94
Larry W. Virden (lw...@cas.org) wrote:
: What is it about the steaming that causes folks to react physically to
: them as they do? That is to say, I have talked to folk from many life
: styles and they almost always talk about how after eating White Castles
: they have problems with stomach gas as well as their 'innards' cleaned out.

french onion soup creates the same reaction in many people

: Is this merely their minds playing tricks on them for many years, over many
: cultures, states, etc. or does the method of cooking play some part in the
: process?
: --
: :s Great net resources sought...
: :s Larry W. Virden INET: lvi...@cas.org
: :s Personal: 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-1614
: The task of an educator should be to irrigate the desert not clear the forest.

--
____________ __ ____________ "They that can give up essential
\_____ / /_ \ \ _____/ liberty to obtain a little

Paul Hostetler

Jul 6, 1994, 9:06:24 PM7/6/94
In article <2vfhoj$j...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us>,
Richard Lorber <z801...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us> wrote:
>We called them "Murder Burgers".
Had four of them today... MMMMMmmmmmmm.... We call them sliders.
--
ms_hos...@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu
phos...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

Richard Lorber

Jul 6, 1994, 8:20:35 PM7/6/94
We called them "Murder Burgers".
Richard Lorber | Broward County, Florida USA
z801...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us | (305) 926-0194

Mike Feeney

Jul 7, 1994, 10:06:21 AM7/7/94
In article <2vfkeg$i...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> phos...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Paul Hostetler) writes:
>In article <2vfhoj$j...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us>,
>Richard Lorber <z801...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us> wrote:
>>We called them "Murder Burgers".
>Had four of them today... MMMMMmmmmmmm.... We call them sliders.

I call them the best fast-food you will ever eat.

And even if you *hate* the hamburgers, you have to admit White
Castle has practically the best:

onion rings
french fries
chocolate shakes
coffee

I always look forward to Thanksgiving - I make a huge Black
Turkey (remember that recipe posted long ago) with White Castle
stuffing. There are never any leftovers.

Mike

--

Mike Feeney
Account Executive

Stan Horwitz

Jul 7, 1994, 2:02:54 PM7/7/94
Mike Feeney (fee...@tigger.jvnc.net) wrote:

: In article <2vfkeg$i...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> phos...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Paul Hostetler) writes:
: >In article <2vfhoj$j...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us>,
: >Richard Lorber <z801...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us> wrote:
: >>We called them "Murder Burgers".
: >Had four of them today... MMMMMmmmmmmm.... We call them sliders.

: I call them the best fast-food you will ever eat.

Perhaps you and I have different standards on what "best" means, but
White Castle is far from the best fast food I have eaten.

: And even if you *hate* the hamburgers, you have to admit White

: Castle has practically the best:

: onion rings

Don't know since I don't like onions.

: french fries

If you like the taste of cardboard with tons of salt piled on and a
strong taste of greace, I suppose their fries would be fine, but I am
more of an advocate of french fries tasting like potatoes so I don't
like the kind that White Castle serves.

: chocolate shakes

Wendy's frosty's beat most other place's chocolate shakes by a long
shot. Maybe comparing a frosty to a chocolate shake isn't fare, but
I think its a valid comparison.

: coffee

I don't drink coffee, but my friends who do mostly seem to prefer the
coffee served by Dunkin' Donuts.

: I always look forward to Thanksgiving - I make a huge Black

: Turkey (remember that recipe posted long ago) with White Castle
: stuffing. There are never any leftovers.

What is "White Castle" stuffing and why are we indenting like this?

--
My name is Stan Horwitz and my E-mail address is st...@astro.ocis.temple.edu
My opinions are all mine. They do not reflect those of my employer.

Bill Shoemaker

Jul 7, 1994, 7:10:48 PM7/7/94
> I always look forward to Thanksgiving - I make a huge Black
> Turkey (remember that recipe posted long ago) with White Castle
> stuffing. There are never any leftovers.

You MUST repost this. YOU MUST. Thanks.

Bill Shoemaker

James Harvey

Jul 7, 1994, 5:33:31 PM7/7/94
Hey, Steak'n'Shake is the best fast food! Really!
--
James Harvey har...@iupui.edu
Disclaimer: These are my own opinions. I do not speak for Indiana University.

Stephanie da Silva

Jul 7, 1994, 8:49:49 PM7/7/94

[It's in the rec.food.recipes archives, accessible via anonymous ftp
from ftp.neosoft.com in the directory /pub/rec.food.recipes.]

-------------------Black Turkey, circa 1963--------------------------

For about a dozen years, at the approach of turkey-eating season, I have
been trumpeting to all who would listen, and to a good many who would
rather not, that there is only one way to cook a turkey. This turkey is
not my turkey. It is the creation of the late Morton Thompson, who wrote
"Not as a Stranger" and other books.

This recipe was first contained in the manuscript of a book called "The
Naked Countess" which was given to the late Robert Benchley, who had eaten
the turkey and was so moved as to write an introduction to the book.
Benchley then lost the manuscript. He kept hoping it would turn up--
although not as much, perhaps, as Thompson did, but somehow it vanished,
irretrievably. Thompson did not have the heart to write it over. He did,
however, later put his turkey rule in another book. Not a cookbook, but a
collection of very funny pieces called "Joe, the Wounded Tennis Player".

THE ONLY WAY TO COOK A TURKEY!!!!!!!

This turkey is work... it requires more attention than an average
six-month-old baby. There are no shortcuts, as you will see.

Get a HUGE turkey-- I don't mean just a big, big bird, but one that looks
as though it gave the farmer a hard time when he did it in. It ought to
weigh between 16 and 30 pounds. Have the poultryman, or butcher, cut its
head off at the end of the neck, peel back the skin, and remove the neck
close to the body, leaving the tube. You will want this for stuffing.
Also , he should leave all the fat on the bird.

When you are ready to cook your bird, rub it inside and out with salt and
pepper. Give it a friendly pat and set it aside. Chop the heart, gizzard,
and liver and put them, with the neck, into a stewpan with a clove of
garlic, a large bay leaf, 1/2 tsp coriander, and some salt. I don't know
how much salt-- whatever you think. Cover this with about 5 cups of water
and put on the stove to simmer. This will be the basting fluid a little
later.

About this time I generally have my first drink of the day, usually a
RAMOS FIZZ. I concoct it by taking the whites of four eggs, an equal
amount of whipping cream, juice of half a lemon (less 1 tsp.), 1/2 tsp.
confectioner's sugar, an appropriate amount of gin, and blending with a
few ice cubes. Pour about two tablespoons of club soda in a chimney glass,
add the mix, with ice cubes if you prefer. Save your egg yolks, plus
1 tsp. of lemon -- you'll need them later. Have a good sip! (Add 1 dash
of Orange Flower Water to the drink, not the egg yolks)

Get a huge bowl. Throw into it one diced apple, one diced orange, a
large can of crushed pineapple, the grated rind of a lemon, and three
tablespoons of chopped preserved ginger (If you like ginger, double
this -REB). Add 2 cans of drained Chinese water chestnuts.

Mix this altogether, and have another sip of your drink. Get a second,
somewhat smaller, bowl. Into this, measuring by teaspoons, put:
2 hot dry mustard
2 caraway seed
2 celery seed
2 poppy seed
1 black pepper
2 1/2 oregano
1/2 mace
1/2 turmeric
1/2 marjoram
1/2 savory
3/4 sage
3/4 thyme 1/4 basil
1/2 chili powder

In the same bowl, add:
1 Tbl. poultry seasoning
4 Tbl parsley
1Tbl salt
4 headless crushed cloves
1 well crushed bay leaf
4 large chopped onions
6 good dashes Tabasco
5 crushed garlic cloves
6 large chopped celery

Wipe your brow, refocus your eyes, get yet another drink--and a third
bowl. Put in three packages of unseasoned bread crumbs (or two loaves of
toast or bread crumbs), 3/4 lb. ground veal, 1/2 lb. ground fresh pork,
1/4 lb. butter, and all the fat you have been able to pull out of the
bird.

About now it seems advisable to switch drinks. Martinis or stingers are
recommended (Do this at your own risk - we always did! -REB). Get a
fourth bowl, an enormous one. Take a sip for a few minutes, wash your
hands, and mix the contents of all the other bowls. Mix it well. Stuff
the bird and skewer it. Put the leftover stuffing into the neck tube.

Turn your oven to 500 degrees F and get out a fifth small bowl. Make a
paste consisting of those four egg yolks and lemon juice left from the
Ramos Fizz. Add 1 tsp hot dry mustard, a crushed clove of garlic, 1 Tbl
onion juice, and enough flour to make a stiff paste. When the oven is
red hot, put the bird in, breast down on the rack. Sip on your drink
until the bird has begin to brown all over, then take it out and paint
the bird all over with paste. Put it back in and turn the oven down to
350 degrees F. Let the paste set, then pull the bird out and paint again.
Keep doing this until the paste is used up.

Add a quart of cider or white wine to the stuff that's been simmering on
the stove, This is your basting fluid. The turkey must be basted every
15 minutes. Don't argue. Set your timer and keep it up. (When confronted
with the choice "do I baste from the juice under the bird or do I baste
with the juice from the pot on the stove?" make certain that the juice
under the bird neither dries out and burns, nor becomes so thin that
gravy is weak. When you run out of baste, use cheap red wine. This
critter makes incredible gravy! -REB)The bird should cook about 12
minutes per pound, basting every 15 minutes. Enlist the aid of your
friends and family.

As the bird cooks, it will first get a light brown, then a dark brown,
then darker and darker. After about 2 hours you will think I'm crazy. The
bird will be turning black. (Newcomers to black turkey will think you are
demented and drunk on your butt, which, if you've followed instructions,
you are -REB) In fact, by the time it is finished, it will look as though
we have ruined it. Take a fork and poke at the black cindery crust.

Beneath, the bird will be a gorgeous mahogany, reminding one of those
golden-browns found in precious Rembrandts. Stick the fork too deep, and
the juice will gush to the ceiling. When you take it out, ready to carve
it, you will find that you do not need a knife. A load sound will cause
the bird to fall apart like the walls of that famed biblical city. The
moist flesh will drive you crazy, and the stuffing--well, there is
nothing like it on this earth. You will make the gravy just like it as
always done, adding the giblets and what is left of the basting fluid.

Sometime during the meal, use a moment to give thanks to Morton Thompson.
There is seldom, if ever, leftover turkey when this recipe is used. If
there is, you'll find that the fowl retains its moisture for a few days.
That's all there is to it. It's work, hard work--- but it's worth it.

(What follows is not part of the recipe, but is an ingredients list to
aid in shopping for this monster, or for checking your spice cabinet -REB)

Ingredients List:

1 turkey
salt
garlic
4 eggs
1 apple
1 orange
1 large can crushed pineapple
1 lemon
4 large onions
6 celery stalks
buncha preserved ginger
2 cans water chestnuts
3 packages unseasoned bread crumbs
3/4 pounds ground veal
1/2 pounds ground pork
1/4 pounds
butter
onion juice
1 quart apple cider

Spice List:

basil
bay leaf
caraway seed
celery seed
chili powder
cloves
ground coriander
mace
marjoram
dry mustard
oregano
parsley
pepper, black
poultry seasoning
poppy seed
sage
savory
Tabasco
thyme
turmeric

--
Stephanie da Silva PO Box 720711
ari...@taronga.com Houston, TX 77272

Bill Shoemaker

Jul 8, 1994, 6:19:07 PM7/8/94
Thanks. I guess the part about the White Castle stuffing was a joke too,
huh?

Bill Shoemaker

Jill Huntley

Jul 9, 1994, 11:23:44 PM7/9/94
Paul Hostetler (phos...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu) wrote:
: In article <2vfhoj$j...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us>,

At the time of the Kent State riot, the Governor of Ohio was alleged to
have financial ties to the "Wendy's" hamburger chain. This Governor
ordered the National Guard to the Kent State University campus - and we
know the result.

In this state (Ohio), Wendy's fast food has been known to be referred to
as "murder burgers" and "Kent State shakes."

Another central Ohio nickname for White Castles - "Belly Bombers."

David Bernard

Jul 11, 1994, 9:27:44 AM7/11/94

Been to one in indiania and other states west of Ohio. I have to agree, they
are good, just wish one would open in Dayton.

Later Days... Dave B.

David Bernard AW Handle="Hawk::IAF"
SAIC
Dayton, Ohio

d...@dayvd.dayton.saic.com or
bern...@ccmail.dayton.saic.com

"Just when you thought you were living
life in the fast lane, a Cop pulls
you over"
DLB 1994

Ray Bruman x2325

Jul 11, 1994, 8:25:02 PM7/11/94

Perhaps, but some time ago _Parade_ Magazine published
(with a completely straight face) a recipe for a casserole
made with canned mushroom soup, frozen spinach, and an entire
*layer* of White Castle (tm) sliders. My sister read it to me,
rolling on the floor laughing. Now I wish we'd kept it.

As Casey Stengel used to say, "You could look it up."

---
Ray Bruman Cogito, ergo remuneror.
Raynet Corp.
rbr...@raynet.com I think, therefore I am paid.
415-688-2325

Dan Day

Jul 12, 1994, 2:26:28 PM7/12/94
In article <3TO3...@taronga.com> ari...@taronga.com (Stephanie da Silva) writes:
>When you take it out, ready to carve
>it, you will find that you do not need a knife. A load sound will cause
>the bird to fall apart like the walls of that famed biblical city.

The first Thanksgiving that my wife and I put on, we decided to
try the "turkey in a sack" recipe from the local newspaper. It
involved putting the turkey in a brown paper grocery sack that
had been well oiled and then tied shut. You're not supposed to
open the bag until the turkey is done, so you have to trust the
timer and see what comes out at the end. When we unbagged the
turkey, we found a hideous-looking boney carcass that looked
as if the fire ants had been working on it for weeks; the skin
was stretched over the skeleton with some protruding bones, and
the meat was piled down in the bottom of the bag. Needless to say, it
wasn't a Norman Rockwell-looking turkey. We were horrified for
a moment, until we bravely tasted the meat. It was *wonderful*,
and so moist you could almost spread it like butter. I don't
know where we went wrong, but if every kitchen failure turns out
that good, I'll be happy.

Anne Elizabeth Callery

Jul 12, 1994, 7:45:47 PM7/12/94
Dan Day (d...@se.houston.geoquest.slb.com) wrote:
: The first Thanksgiving that my wife and I put on, we decided to

: try the "turkey in a sack" recipe from the local newspaper. It
: involved putting the turkey in a brown paper grocery sack that
: had been well oiled and then tied shut. You're not supposed to
: open the bag until the turkey is done, so you have to trust the

Do you still have that recipe? It sounds good too...

Anne Callery
Palo Alto, CA

Dan Day

Jul 12, 1994, 9:27:18 PM7/12/94
In article <2vv9vb$9...@nntp2.Stanford.EDU> cal...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Anne Elizabeth Callery) writes:

:Dan Day (d...@se.houston.geoquest.slb.com) wrote:
:: The first Thanksgiving that my wife and I put on, we decided to
:: try the "turkey in a sack" recipe from the local newspaper. It
:
:Do you still have that recipe? It sounds good too...

I'll see if I can dig it up as soon as this cat stops napping on my lap.

Stephan Fassmann

Jul 13, 1994, 1:22:53 PM7/13/94

There is a new place that just opened up here called Galaxy Diner
that actually has Sliders. They were good.

Stephan Fassmann InterNet: $ste...@sasb.byu.edu GEnie: S.FASSMANN
carpe diem carpe noctem

David Ploch

Jul 15, 1994, 6:30:28 PM7/15/94
I have heard them called "rectal reamers" in St. Louis.
--
David Ploch dwp...@ccmail.monsanto.com
Monsanto St. Louis MO 63167

Robert Domine Noyes

Jul 17, 1994, 8:22:50 PM7/17/94
I think that the nicknames would have a lot to do with the crowd
you run with. ;-)

Michael J. Edelman

Jul 20, 1994, 10:20:03 AM7/20/94
In article 9...@nntp2.Stanford.EDU, cal...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Anne Elizabeth Callery) writes:

>Do you still have that recipe? It sounds good too...

I keep it on our gopher. Here 'tis:

(from Bob Brunjes)

This Thanksgiving will be the 29th anniversary of my first black
turkey. I have prepared this critter on many other occasions than
Thanksgiving, and converted hundreds of un-believers to the TRUTH.

*****NOTE**** This is _not_ a $250 cookie recipe, a hoax, or a
waste of time. This _is_ a major effort, a destroyer of clean ovens,
a religious experience, and in the opinion of some, the culinary
equivalent of building the Eiffel Tower out of toothpicks. Whatever
else it is, it is the best damned turkey you will ever eat.

I pass to you the recipe as it was passed to me, but with notes to
aid you in your quest for excellence.

-------------------Black Turkey, circa 1963--------------------------

the juice will gush to the ceiling. When you take it out, ready to carve

it, you will find that you do not need a knife. A load sound will cause
the bird to fall apart like the walls of that famed biblical city. The

Ingredients List:

Spice List:

Bob Brunjes Applied Microsystems Corp
Redmond, WA
r...@amc.com

Sandy Goertemiller

Jun 10, 1994, 9:22:43 AM6/10/94
Does anyone have a recipe for an appetizer that tastes
like White Castle hamburgers?

If you do, please post.

Thanks!

David Basiji

Jun 10, 1994, 7:20:47 PM6/10/94
s...@pdc.sda.cbis.com (Sandy Goertemiller) writes:
>Does anyone have a recipe for an appetizer that tastes
>like White Castle hamburgers?

Okay, you start with some Wonder bread soaked in lard and
heavily spiced with salt and pepper. Put it on a hamburger
bun and steam the whole mess for 4-6 hours. You can tell
if it's done by trying to lift the bun away from the "meat".
If it separates, steam it more until there's a smooth gradient
of lard from the "meat" to the bun and it is impossible to
separate the two without destroying the unit. Once cooked,
stick it in a Kitchenaid mixer and mash until you get a creamy
paste. Serve it as a spread. For an upscale twist, spread it over
Cheez-Its for that "cheeseburgery" taste.

Enjoy! ;o)

David Basiji
UW Bioengineering

Laura Zurawski

Jun 10, 1994, 10:33:38 PM6/10/94
s...@pdc.sda.cbis.com (Sandy Goertemiller) writes:

>Does anyone have a recipe for an appetizer that tastes
>like White Castle hamburgers?

Actually, you might want to try looking in your local grocery store's
frozen foods section. White Castle distributes frozen hamburgers and
cheeseburgers just like the characteristic hockey-puck-like morsels they
sell in the restaurants to grocery stores as well... and all you have to
do is pop them in the microwave for a few seconds. I've seen them in a
great variety of different food stores, though my guess is that it's harder
to find them the further from the midwest you get. :)

--L. (great, now I want one)

Laura Zurawski --- jun...@uiuc.edu
"Where's the Kaboom? There's supposed to be an earth-shattering Kaboom!" --MM

Andrew Rogers

Jun 10, 1994, 10:39:56 PM6/10/94
In article <1994Jun10.1...@roadie.uucp> s...@pdc.sda.cbis.com (Sandy Goertemiller) writes:
>Does anyone have a recipe for an appetizer that tastes
>like White Castle hamburgers?

This came from one of Gloria Pitzer's books; I haven't tried it myself:

W H I T E T A S S L E

Soak 1/4 cup dry minced onions in 1/4 cup hot water till
softened, while you mix together in a large bowl about 2 to
2-1/2 lbs. ground round, a 3-1/2 oz. jar babyfood strained
veal (or beef) and 2/3 cup canned clear beef broth. Keep
patties uniform in size by measuring meat mixture out in firmly
packed 1/4-cup measuring cup. Drop each measure into small
plastic food bag. Flatten with palm of hand to 1/4" thick
patty. Freeze to use in 3 months or use at once, by frying
patties on hot lightly oiled grill, allowing 1 tsp. oil per
patty. Use tip of table knife to make 4 or 5 holes in each
patty before turning to brown other side. Drop a tablespoon of
the onions onto each patty as you brown the second side. Cut
hot dog buns into two pieces, trimming off the rounded ends.
Slip a patty into portion of buns. They fit just right. Add 2
slices dill pickle - mustard, ketchup if you wish and enjoy!
Makes about 2 dozen hamburgers!

AWR
old fart at play

Reggie Drahnak

Jun 13, 1994, 2:09:23 PM6/13/94

Well, so far you've gotten one disgusting recipe and one recipe for hamburgers.
This is an appetizer recipe that a friend gave me. Haven't tried it, but it
supposedly tastes like the infamous belly-bombers:

LITTLE WHITE CASTLES

2 pkg., 20 count, Pepperidge Farm Party Rolls
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. onion soup mix
1 lb. Velveeta cheese

Brown ground beef and drain.

Add onion mix and cheese. Mix thoroughly until cheese melts.

Cut buns in half.

Spoon mixture on buns halves and place on cookie sheet.

Cover sheet with foil. Put a damp towel on top of the foil.

Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes.

Stan Horwitz

Jun 13, 1994, 4:45:13 PM6/13/94
Sandy Goertemiller (s...@pdc.sda.cbis.com) wrote:
: Does anyone have a recipe for an appetizer that tastes
: like White Castle hamburgers?

: If you do, please post.

Sure, take the greasiest, most fatty hamberger meat you can get, make it
into little patties, get a hot griddle, throw a little water on it and some
finely diced onions and the patties and cook a minute or so on each side.

Nartker

Jun 13, 1994, 9:33:03 PM6/13/94
In article <2tiggp$b...@cronkite.ocis.temple.edu>,
st...@astro.ocis.temple.edu (Stan Horwitz) writes:

Don't Forget the Organ Meat in the Patty Mix, iff you want the
authentic taste of a Slider.

Michael J. Edelman

Jun 14, 1994, 4:11:58 PM6/14/94

I keep seeing all manner of bizarre recipes to duplicate the subtle flavor
of the classic Slider, but truth be told, they're just hamburger meat and
finely chopped onion, fried and steamed. To make one, fry some onions and
hamburger on a grill (not too hot), pour a bit of water to make steam, and
cover the patty. Let cook for a minute.

No organ meats, no chemicals.

--mike

John De Armond

Jun 14, 1994, 11:33:37 PM6/14/94
rog...@sasuga.hi.com (Andrew Rogers) writes:

> Soak 1/4 cup dry minced onions in 1/4 cup hot water till
> softened, while you mix together in a large bowl about 2 to
> 2-1/2 lbs. ground round, a 3-1/2 oz. jar babyfood strained
> veal (or beef) and 2/3 cup canned clear beef broth. Keep
> patties uniform in size by measuring meat mixture out in firmly
> packed 1/4-cup measuring cup. Drop each measure into small
> plastic food bag. Flatten with palm of hand to 1/4" thick
> patty. Freeze to use in 3 months or use at once, by frying
> patties on hot lightly oiled grill, allowing 1 tsp. oil per
> patty. Use tip of table knife to make 4 or 5 holes in each
> patty before turning to brown other side. Drop a tablespoon of
> the onions onto each patty as you brown the second side. Cut
> hot dog buns into two pieces, trimming off the rounded ends.

This is a bit different than the way Krystal (who invented this genre
of burger that White Castle copied) does it. The meat recipe sounds
about right, as does the onions. But the Krystal method is to
pack the patties on a rimmed grill with nothing but the residual
grease remaining after it is scrapped with a spatula. The patties
are touching each other. A handful of onions are spread out over
the the meat. Then (and this seems to be the critical part),
a lid is lowerd over the grill to steam the topside of the meat
and onions. After a few minutes, the patties are flipped, a bun half
is applied to each patty and the lid lowered again. The steam
softens the bread and the meat juices soak into the bun. After
a few more minutes, the burger-bun-onion assembly is pulled off
the grill with a grill spatula, flipped over and a squirt of
mustard from a gun and a pickle is applied, then the bun top is put on.

I have cooked regular burger-sized portion-packed patties like this and
the flavor is amazingly similar. The steaming and the bun in contact
with the meat during the last part of the cooking cycle seem to be
the critical parts.

I should also note that at least around here, the actual mini-buns
are available on request from the bakery surplus stores who also
sell fresh bread in medium lot quantities. They are packaged in
reasonable sized packages (24 count). They can be frozen and kept
indefinitely.

John
--
John De Armond, WD4OQC, Marietta, GA j...@dixie.com
Performance Engineering Magazine. Email to me published at my sole discretion

richard.c.schmidt

Jun 16, 1994, 3:13:14 AM6/16/94
From article <8dn7p=p...@dixie.com>, by j...@dixie.com (John De Armond):
.
......[stuff deleted]......

.
> This is a bit different than the way Krystal (who invented this genre
> of burger that White Castle copied) does it. The meat recipe sounds
> indefinitely.
.
......[stuff deleted]......

.

> John
> --
> John De Armond, WD4OQC, Marietta, GA j...@dixie.com
> Performance Engineering Magazine. Email to me published at my sole discretion
> Clinton at Normandy for D-day is worse than Hitler presiding over the
> Holocaust Museum.

I don't know how long Krystals has been around, but, White
Castle was in business since the early '50's in New England.
[Their headquarters was in Stamford, Conn at that time]

By the end of the '50's, they were expirementing [I know,
my spelling....] with an upgraded resturant called the
Buttery [I worked there.... :-)]. The Buttery had GOOD
food, not the grease stuff that White Castle..... Well,
you get the picture. I don't think it worked for them,
one successfull location......

No, I didn't care for White Castle Burgers.

Richard C Schmidt

"A second flood, a simple famine, plagues of locusts everywhere,
Or a cataclysmic earthquake, I'd accept with some despair.
But no, you sent us Congress! Good God, sir, was that fair?"
-- John Adams, "Piddle, Twiddle, and Resolve", from "1776"

Richard C Schmidt Work: sch...@rcdlsvr.attmail.com
Home: r...@fafnir.atl.ga.us
Opinions are mine alone - I sometimes have trouble even doing that
Richard C Schmidt Work: sch...@rcdlsvr.attmail.com
Home: r...@fafnir.atl.ga.us
Opinions are mine alone - I sometimes have trouble even doing that

Darwyn O Banks

Jun 17, 1994, 12:25:40 PM6/17/94
j...@dixie.com (John De Armond) writes:

>rog...@sasuga.hi.com (Andrew Rogers) writes:

>> Soak 1/4 cup dry minced onions in 1/4 cup hot water till
>> softened, while you mix together in a large bowl about 2 to
>> 2-1/2 lbs. ground round, a 3-1/2 oz. jar babyfood strained
>> veal (or beef) and 2/3 cup canned clear beef broth. Keep
>> patties uniform in size by measuring meat mixture out in firmly
>> packed 1/4-cup measuring cup. Drop each measure into small
>> plastic food bag. Flatten with palm of hand to 1/4" thick
>> patty. Freeze to use in 3 months or use at once, by frying
>> patties on hot lightly oiled grill, allowing 1 tsp. oil per
>> patty. Use tip of table knife to make 4 or 5 holes in each
>> patty before turning to brown other side. Drop a tablespoon of
>> the onions onto each patty as you brown the second side. Cut
>> hot dog buns into two pieces, trimming off the rounded ends.

>This is a bit different than the way Krystal (who invented this genre
>of burger that White Castle copied) does it. The meat recipe sounds
>about right, as does the onions. But the Krystal method is to

>--

Wrong answer; thank you for playing. White Castles started in 1921
here in Ohio (headquarters in Columbus). Krystal was a late comer
of the 1940's or so. Besides their burgers aren't greasy or oniony enough
and have too much mustard. SLIDERS RULE!

Sharen Rund

Jun 17, 1994, 1:39:18 PM6/17/94
Stan Horwitz (st...@astro.ocis.temple.edu) wrote:

: Sandy Goertemiller (s...@pdc.sda.cbis.com) wrote:
: : Does anyone have a recipe for an appetizer that tastes
: : like White Castle hamburgers?

: : If you do, please post.

: Sure, take the greasiest, most fatty hamberger meat you can get, make it
: into little patties, get a hot griddle, throw a little water on it and some
: finely diced onions and the patties and cook a minute or so on each side.

sorry Stan, but they don't take the fattiest, etc hamburger - believe it
or not, the fround beef used for WCs is the best purchased by a fast food
chain - the next closest is McDonald`s (my father was a USDA meat inspector)

: --

: My name is Stan Horwitz and my E-mail address is st...@astro.ocis.temple.edu
: My opinions are all mine. They do not reflect those of my employer.

--
____________ __ ____________ "They that can give up essential
\_____ / /_ \ \ _____/ liberty to obtain a little
\_____ \____/ \____/ _____/ temporary safety deserve
\_____ _____/ neither liberty nor safety."
\___________ ___________/ --Benjamin Franklin
/ \ ALL disclaimers apply ....
~~~~~~

Sharen Rund

Jun 17, 1994, 1:45:35 PM6/17/94
John De Armond (j...@dixie.com) wrote:
[...]

being a long-time affecianado of WCS (gut bombs) the following layering
is off - WC uses the lightly greased rimmed grill then puts the onions
layer flollowed by the meat layer followed by the bun - the whole concoction
is steamed (in fact, I believe they even put the pickle on just before
they add the bun) then, as they`re being taken off the grill the mustard
& ketchup is added just before they're slipped into the box

[...]

Sharen Rund

Jun 17, 1994, 1:48:05 PM6/17/94
richard.c.schmidt (sch...@cbnewse.cb.att.com) wrote:
: From article <8dn7p=p...@dixie.com>, by j...@dixie.com (John De Armond):

: .
: ......[stuff deleted]......
: .
: > This is a bit different than the way Krystal (who invented this genre
: > of burger that White Castle copied) does it. The meat recipe sounds
: > indefinitely.
: .
: ......[stuff deleted]......
: .
: >
: > John
: I don't know how long Krystals has been around, but, White

: Castle was in business since the early '50's in New England.
: [Their headquarters was in Stamford, Conn at that time]

: By the end of the '50's, they were expirementing [I know,
: my spelling....] with an upgraded resturant called the
: Buttery [I worked there.... :-)]. The Buttery had GOOD
: food, not the grease stuff that White Castle..... Well,
: you get the picture. I don't think it worked for them,
: one successfull location......

White Castles started in Kansas in 1912...

: No, I didn't care for White Castle Burgers.

I really like them....

Andrew Rogers

Jun 17, 1994, 6:40:43 PM6/17/94
In article <dbanks.7...@afit.af.mil> dba...@afit.af.mil (Darwyn O Banks) writes:
>>This is a bit different than the way Krystal (who invented this genre
>>of burger that White Castle copied) does it...

>...White Castles started in 1921 here in Ohio (headquarters in Columbus).
>Krystal was a late comer of the 1940's or so...

And didn't White Tower predate White Castle by a couple of years? There
was an article in Smithsonian about them sometime in the early-to-mid 80's;
at the time, there were only three White Towers left, all in Baltimore -
does anyone know if any of 'em are still in existence?

Anyone else remember Carroll's? They were a fixture in the Northeast
several years before McDonalds entered the area. There are no Carroll's
restaurants any more (the last one, near Buffalo NY, closed in 1987),
but the parent corporation is still around as one of the largest Burger
King franchisees.

Are there still any Red Barns or Burger Chefs anywhere?

Andrew

PS: there are no Big Boys left in New England - the franchisee, Abdow's,
severed ties with the parent company a couple months ago and operates
the restaurants independently.

Mark Horne

Jun 17, 1994, 12:28:00 PM6/17/94
In article <2tt8pb$r...@sasuga.hi.com>,

bit about White Castles/Towers deleted Banks) writes:

>Anyone else remember Carroll's? They were a fixture in the Northeast
>several years before McDonalds entered the area. There are no Carroll's
>restaurants any more (the last one, near Buffalo NY, closed in 1987),
>but the parent corporation is still around as one of the largest Burger
>King franchisees.

This may be true in the States, but they exist in Finland. The Big
Carolina is their Big Mac imitation. They also have chicken nuggets. Ate
there just last summer, but no nuggets. I'd never heard of them before,
but I'm from California.

Mark

Bobbie Mikes

Jun 18, 1994, 5:59:00 AM6/18/94
In article Re: White Castles,
Michael J. Edelman wrote:

=>I keep seeing all manner of bizarre recipes to duplicate the subtle flavor
=>of the classic Slider, but truth be told, they're just hamburger meat and
=>finely chopped onion, fried and steamed. To make one, fry some onions and
=>hamburger on a grill (not too hot), pour a bit of water to make steam, and
=>cover the patty. Let cook for a minute.
=>
=>No organ meats, no chemicals.

Thank you. I always defended White Castles quality. They most likely got
their bad rep because many of us have eaten them at some ungodly hour after
a night of drinking and debauchery. Ain't that always the best time? ;-)

And thanks for the suggestion about how to get the steamed taste. Now what
about the bun? I was thinking of using a Chinese bamboo steamer after the
patty was cooked. Put the whole thing together, steam and viola! Authentic
belly bombers, er, White Castles. :-D

- Bobbie -
Internet: bobbie...@moondog.com
b.m...@genie.geis.com
... Between two evils, I always pick the one I haven't tried.
---
* TLX v4.00 *

Kevin Gaucho Crisson

Jun 21, 1994, 8:33:43 AM6/21/94

There was also a chain of burger resturants by Wetson's. I believe they were
only in the NYC metro area and predated McDonald's by many years. Does anyone
know if there are any Wetson's left (around NYC of otherwise)?

Stan Horwitz

Jun 21, 1994, 1:39:55 PM6/21/94
Kevin "Gaucho" Crisson (ke...@mtkgc.com) wrote:

: There was also a chain of burger resturants by Wetson's. I believe they were

: only in the NYC metro area and predated McDonald's by many years. Does anyone
: know if there are any Wetson's left (around NYC of otherwise)?

In Philadelphia, there was a place called Levis Hot Dogs. They were famous
for their hot dogs and were around for about 100 years 'til they close about
2 years ago. Levis was also known for its Champ cherry soda and they had what
was touted as the world's oldest working soda dispenser. They sold tons of
hot dogs, yummy baked beans, french fries, and they also had fish cake
sandwhiches. As I recall, a Levis special was a fish cake sandwhich served
on a hot dog bun with a hot dog on it too.

There's a solute to Levis which is scheduled for a month or two at the North
Star Bar in Philadelphia which is at 27th and Poplar Strs. They will be
serving hot dogs and Champ cherry soda and I heard they were looking for
members of the Levis Fifty Year Club. If you know anyone who might be a
member of that club (people who ate at Levis for 50 years or more), have them
call the North Star Bar (sorry, I don't have the phone number, but if you
send me private mail, I will look it up).

Larry W. Virden

bruce bowser

Mar 4, 2023, 1:04:31 PM3/4/23
I didn't know this about burgers: