Help: louisiana sausage, boudain

janet watt

Aug 1, 1994, 4:11:08 PM8/1/94
I was in Texas last month and had a sausage compsoed of pork, rice, onion, peppers, and a magical blend of spices. I believe they called it a boudain.
Does anyone have a recipe for this heaven on earth?

Christopher L. Davis

Aug 3, 1994, 12:34:23 PM8/3/94
In article <31jkss$e...@nexus.uiowa.edu>,

Well, it may have been Boudain in Texas, but in Louisiana it is Boudin
pronounced Boo-Dan (ie. a short a). It is a Cajun rice dressing that is
cooked in Sausage casings... I don't know if I have a recipe handy, but
I bet if you peeked into one of Justin Wilson's cookbooks, or any Cajun
cookbook, you could find a passable recipe... Check Paul Prudhomme's
cookbooks, too.

Chris Davis c...@spectre.prin.edu
Systems and Network Administrator

Dan Masi

Aug 3, 1994, 6:07:38 PM8/3/94
In article <31oguf$a...@spectre.prin.edu>, c...@spectre.prin.edu (Christopher L. Davis) writes:
|> Well, it may have been Boudain in Texas, but in Louisiana it is Boudin
|> pronounced Boo-Dan (ie. a short a). It is a Cajun rice dressing that is
|> cooked in Sausage casings...
[chomp]

Yet another silly question. There is a famous bakery (most famous for
their sourdough boules and baguettes, I think) in San Francisco by the
same name, Boudin. From what I know of French, this should be pronounced
as Chris describes, roughly Boo-Dan without touching your tongue to the
roof of your mouth as you complete the 'n'. BUT, on all of their packaging,
it says "pronounce it Boo-Deen". Are they wrong, or what?

Doesn't matter too much; take one of their sourdough boules, slice the
top off, hollow it out, coat with pesto, fill with brie, bake 'til
bubbly. Dip slices of sourdough baguettes, etc, until filling is
gone. Eat container.

--
Dan Masi
Mentor Graphics Corp.

Thomas Fenske

Aug 4, 1994, 4:48:05 PM8/4/94
In article <31p4fa$5rg$1...@sdl.warren.mentorg.com>,

Dan Masi <da...@warren.mentorg.com> wrote:
>In article <31oguf$a...@spectre.prin.edu>, c...@spectre.prin.edu (Christopher L. Davis) writes:
>|> Well, it may have been Boudain in Texas, but in Louisiana it is Boudin
>|> pronounced Boo-Dan (ie. a short a). It is a Cajun rice dressing that is
>|> cooked in Sausage casings...
>[chomp]
>
>Yet another silly question. There is a famous bakery (most famous for
>their sourdough boules and baguettes, I think) in San Francisco by the
>same name, Boudin. From what I know of French, this should be pronounced
>as Chris describes, roughly Boo-Dan without touching your tongue to the
>roof of your mouth as you complete the 'n'. BUT, on all of their packaging,
>it says "pronounce it Boo-Deen". Are they wrong, or what?

Every Cajun I ever knew pronounced it with the french pronunciation you
describe ... to the point of *almost* skipping the n ... like Boo-da(n).
Whatever ... I just liked to eat it.
There is a Dirty Rice recipe in Justin Wilson's FIRST cookbook,
the one he wrote long before he was a TV chef.
Dirty Rice ain't boudain, but it is as close as I get these days.

Here is a collection that was in rfr several months ago (including the
aforementioned Justin Wilson recipe, submitted by yours truly).

Originally posted on rfr by: Pat Pate <pat...@tenet.edu>

CONTENTS
~~~~~~~~
Dirty Rice (Justin Wilson's Original Cookbook--1965) (Thomas Fenske)
Dirty Rice (Cynthia Coutts)
Cajun Dirty Rice (Karl Zerangue) (Article #5975)
Dirty Rice Casserole (Kathryn Lawrence)
Jud's Dirty Rice
Dirty Rice (Olin Jaffrion)
Dirty Rice (Baked Rice Dressing) (Cajun Country Cookbook)
Dirty Rice Dressing (lavonne wood)
Dirty Rice (pirate's pantry)
Dirty Rice Dressing

The following group of Dirty Rice recipes have been collected since my
request was posted on rec.food.recipes. The first two were sent to me
directly, the third was posted to rec.food.recipes, and the remaining
recipes were collected locally by me.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Dirty Rice (Justin Wilson's Original Cookbook--1965) (Thomas Fenske)

2 lbs. lean ground beef
2 lbs. lean ground pork
1 lb. chicken giblets (ground)
1 cup yellow onions (diced)
1 cup diced green onions
1/2 cup diced bell pepper
1/4 cup garlic (minced very fine)
1/4 cup parsley (minced very fine)
4 bay leaves
1 tsp. black pepper
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cups celery (cut up fine)
3 Tbsp. Lea & Perrins Sauce (Worcestershire sauce)
1/2 lb. margarine or butter
Salt

With about 2 Cups of water, mix all meats together in a heavy pot, on
medium heat. Add all the above seasoning ingredients except the soup at
the start of cooking. Cook medium speed about 4 hours. Stir often. Then
add the cream of mushroom soup. Continue cooking for 30 minutes. Prepare
2 lbs of rice using the standard preparation. After the rice has cooked,
mix with the meat ingredients thoroughly. Allow to steam or cook on low
heat for about thirty minutes before serving. Serves 10

Thomas Fenske adds:

When I made this, I cut the whole thing in half and it still made a ton of
dirty rice.

Don't be squeamish about the giblets. I go heavy on the gizzards, which
are essentially dark meat, with just a little liver to add the taste. If
the recipes you tried before didn't use giblets, that is probably why they
didn't come out right --- why do you think they call it 'dirty'rice?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Dirty Rice (Cynthia Coutts)

You might enjoy this recipe for dirty rice. It's
from my favorite Cajun cookbook by Marjie Lambert,
Cajun Cooking: Succulent Recipes from Louisiana.
It serves 6 as a side dish.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. chicken gizzards, or a combination of hearts and gizzards
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 oz. chicken livers, trimmed and chopped
1/4 lb. ground pork (not sausage)
1 cup chicken stock or canned broth
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 cups cooked white rice
2 green onions, chopped
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

Put the gizzards in a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a
boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, adding extra
water if necessary. Drain the gizzards and set aside until cool enough to
chop.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Saute the onions,
celery, green pepper and garlic until the vegetables are limp, about 5
minutes. Add the livers and pork and cook, stirring, until meat is
browned. Add the chopped gizzards, along with chicken stock and spices and
continue cooking until the liquids are slightly reduced. Taste and adjust
seasonings.

If the rice was not cooked with salt, you will need to add more salt here.
Add the rice, green onions and parsley, and cook just until heated through,
about 2 minutes. Bon appetit!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cajun Dirty Rice (Karl Zerangue) (Article #5975)

Various recipes for this popular dish include lots of different
ingredients, such as chicken liver, sausage, endouille, etc. But my Mom's
recipe is of course my favorite and quite simple. The following is a close
estimate (since no one has ever written down the actual amounts of any
ingredients - until now!):

A Cajun Rice Dressing / Cajun Dirty Rice

1 lb. ground pork
1 lb. ground beef
1 large bell pepper
1 medium onion
5 - 6 peeled cloves of garlic
1 or 2 fresh, green cayenne peppers (if available)
1 tsp. salt (use to own taste)
1 tsp. red pepper (use to own taste -- balance with fresh pepper above)
2 cans mushroom steak sauce (NOT soup, usual brand I find here is Dawn's;
1 can = about 4-6 oz.)
3-4 cups cooked rice ( not real sure about this amount)

The Dressing Mix:
Pan fry the ground meat well until all of the meat is well done. Put bell
pepper, onion and garlic into food processor and "nearly" liquify it, then
add this to the meat. The pepper/onion/garlic should sizzle as you stir it
well into the meat. When the sizzling fades, add the mushroom steak
sauce and a little water and allow the entire dressing mix to simmer for at
least a half hour.

Dirty Rice:
Cooked rice can be added to this mixture and thoroughly stirred. The more
rice you add, the drier and "whiter" the resulting dressing will be.
Adding the right amount of rice will result in a dress that is moist with
the rice appearing very brown ("dirty").

Cornbread Dressing:
Substitute crumbed cornbread for cooked rice.

Save some for later:
Freeze the dressing mix, i.e., before adding rice/cornbread, separately.
When needed, defrost the mix by heating it and add the rice or cornbread.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

DIRTY RICE CASSEROLE (Kathryn Lawrence)

1 lb. ground beef
8-10 chicken livers
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 fresh onion blades, chopped
1 Tbsp. bacon drippings
1 cup instant rice
Salt and pepper
Thyme
Sweet Basil
Parsley flakes
Garlic powder
1 pod red pepper (optional)

Boil livers, brown beef, saute celery and onions. Combine with seasonings
to taste. Use chicken broth, if needed to thin. Simmer until rice is
cooked.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

JUD'S DIRTY RICE

1/2 lb. pork sausage
1 cup rice
2 cup chicken broth
1/8 tsp. sage
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1 Tbsp. chopped pimentos
1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1/8 tsp oregano
dash of cayenne
salt and pepper to taste

Fry sausage in skillet, chopped into small pieces. Drain well and set
aside. Mix rice with chicken broth, sage, celery, onion, bell pepper,
pimento, parsley flakes, soy sauce, oregano, cayenne and salt and pepper
to taste. Add sausage and bring to a boil. Lower temperature to slow
cooking. Cook covered until broth is absorbed well in rice.

NOTE: 3 chicken bouillon cubes and 2 cups water may be
substituted for 2 cups of broth.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

DIRTY RICE (Olin Jaffrion)

1 cup cooking oil
1 cup flour
2 large onions, chopped fine
2 stalks celery, chopped fine
1 large bell pepper, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, whole
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. French's shrimp spice, ground
1/2 lb. pork sausage
2 lb. lean beef, double ground
1/2 bunch green onions, white and green parts, separated and chopped
1/2 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
2 cans mushrooms (optional)
2 cup water
1 can chicken broth
3 cups raw rice and 3 teaspoons salt. Sufficient water to cook.

Cook rice. Heat oil and flour over medium heat, stirring constantly,
until dark tan or caramel colored. Add chopped onion, celery, bell
pepper and garlic cloves. Add salt, red and black pepper, and shrimp
spice. Cook until onions are transparent and starting to dissolve;
stir constantly to prevent sticking. Mash garlic cloves against side
of pot with cooling spoon. (This is a roux and can be used as a gravy
base for any kind of meat.)

Add sausage and stir well to prevent lumping; do the same with ground
beef. When mixture is thoroughly blended, add 2 cups water slowly, while
stirring. Add white part of green onions, Kitchen Bouquet, Worcestershire
sauce, and chicken broth. Simmer about 45 min., stirring often to prevent
sticking. If too greasy, remove excess grease from top with spoon. Add
green onion tops, parsley, mushrooms, and cooked rice. Blend thoroughly
and heat for about 15-20 min. Serves 12-14.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Dirty Rice (Baked Rice Dressing) (Cajun Country Cookbook)

1/2 lb. ground lean pork
1/2 cup ground chicken gizzards
1 cup raw rice
1 can onion soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup chopped green onion tops (scallions)
1/3 cup celery chopped fine
1 cup parsley, minced
1/3 cup finely chopped onions
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
Red and black pepper to taste

Mix ground meat with the raw rice. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, onion
tops and parsley. Mix the soups and season with red and black pepper.
Put into a heavy casserole dish and cover with close-fitting cover in
order to retain all the juice.

Bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours. (Serves 4).

Taken from: Tony Chachere's Cajun Country Cookbook ISBN-09604580-1-8
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

DIRTY RICE DRESSING (Lavonne Wood)

1 cup dry rice
1 lb. hamburger
1 can chicken noodle soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 chopped onion (green onions are good)
2 Tbsp pimentos

Mix and place in Corningware skillet. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

DIRTY RICE (Pirate's Pantry)

1 lb. giblets (wild fowl, chicken, or turkey), finely chopped
1/2 lb. pork pan sausage
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup green onion tops, chopped
2 cup raw rice
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil the giblets in salted water until very tender. Reserve this liquid
for cooking rice (adding more water if necessary). In heavy, deep
skillet start pork sausage on low heat, and as soon as fat begins to cook
out, add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Continue cooking on low
heat, stirring occasionally, until all vegetables are soft. Add cooked
rice, giblets, green onion tops, parsley, salt and pepper, and stir all
together thoroughly, but lightly. If possible, add some drippings from
the fowl or meat which you are serving. Do not let parsley and green
onion tops become scorched. Better when prepared a day ahead. Freezes.
Serves 10-12. A must for every Cajun's table! (Bobbie Hopkins)

Taken from: Pirate's Pantry--Library of Congress Number 76-25788
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Dirty Rice Dressing

1 package chicken livers and gizzards or
1/2 lb. ground pork and 1/2 lb. ground beef
4 cups cooked rice
1/2 bunch green onions with tops
1/2 medium size Bell pepper
3 stalks celery
1 medium onion

Garlic powder, red and black pepper, and salt to taste

Roux: 1/4 c. cooking oil and 1/4 c. flour (or use 1/2 package gravy mix).

Boil giblets until tender. Chop and set aside, reserving the stock. Saute
celery, Bell pepper and onion in 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Add giblets
and, last, green onion tops. Add roux. Add 1 cup stock. Cook slowly until
mixture thickens, then add to cooked rice. Heat in covered casserole for
20 minutes at 250 degrees. Serves 6-8

Thomas Fenske
Duke University Press tfdp...@acpub.duke.edu
"You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead."
Stan Laurel