So what did you have

Unknown

Nov 4, 1994, 2:35:48 PM11/4/94

I made Shepard's Pie and served it with cornbread and molasses (Arrowhead
Mills puts out a pretty good mix).

Shepard's Pie

1 lb ground beef
1 shallot, minced
1 yellow onion (size depends on how much you like onion), chopped
3 baking potatoes
1 C cheddar cheese
garlic to taste
pepper
salt
1/4 C cream cheese
a little milk
6 oz dark beer (I had Shiner Bock in the fridge so that's what I used)

Saute onion and shallot until tender. Add beef and cook until done. Add
beer
and cook until the liquid has boiled off. Stir frequently. Meanwhile,
slices
that potatoes and nuke them until tender. Mash potatoes with cream cheese,
little garlic, pepper, salt, and milk until fluffy.

Put meat mix in a casserole dish. Top with potatoes. Top with Cheddar.
Bake
at 400 for 1/2 hour or until crispy on top.

Liz
---
RACEBBS, Parker, Az. 1-602-669-9225 28.8kbps

======

======

======

Unknown

Nov 4, 1994, 2:35:56 PM11/4/94

Last night was Monday, my night to experiment. Last night I grilled a
couple of Boca Burgers (frozen veggie burgers -- two because I had a huge
whole wheat bun and they were small). I was afraid they would taste gross,
so at the last minute I melted on some Havarti cheese. Actually, it was
pretty darn good! I'm not a big beef lover, and don't like to eat
hamburgers
because they don't taste good enough to me to warrant all that fat, but this
was actually pretty good (and the burger itself has no fat).

On the side, I had some cucumber-orange-radish salad (from Marcella Hazan's
book -- dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper -- quite
refreshing! I'll have to try more from that book...).

Later in the evening, I desserted on low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt topped
with 3 crushed miniature Butterfinger bars (hey, it was Halloween --
couldn't
resist that big basket of candy staring me in the face -- and besides, I
was dressed up as a pregnant woman and was eating for two!).

Chris

Iain G Liddell

Nov 8, 1994, 10:24:19 AM11/8/94
This weekend, we had a couple of dishes new to us (so what's new?).

On Saturday, we took up on Frances Bissell's column in the (London) Times
of the previous weekend, moving her recipe around a bit (as one does), and
came up with cannelloni with "parsnip etc." filling. It was delicious.

On Sunday, we were off leading another walk through the Chiltern beechwoods,
so I got up at 5.30 and prepared the dinner, putting it in the oven on
autotimer. We did, in fact, get back home well before its switch-on time,
but it was real bliss to be sitting back in the armchair and hear a faint
susurration as the oven fan goes into action in the kitchen, and to think
that a meal will be ready in two hours' time with virtually no intervention
from us. The Polish recipe for roast pork came from Lesley Chamberlain's
book of East European cookery (once again, we re-aligned it to suit our
taste, needs and storecupboard). Another winner, I'm pleased to say.

Yesterday (Monday) was a no-dinner day, since we were off on a test run
of the Channel Tunnel train to Bruxelles. Breakfast was taken in London,
a late lunch just off the Grote Markt (I take this Belgian linguistic
balancing act seriously!), and we were too tired to eat when we got home
again. A word of warning to prospective Eurostar passengers - though the
ride is superb and the journey so much better than going by air or ferry,
the buffet is woefully unimaginative (even by British Rail standards) and
the trolley service is a menace.

OK - here are the recipes for our Sat/Sun dinners.

Cannelloni with parsnips etc.

2 parsnips
2oz ricotta
4oz freshly grated parmesan
half a nutmeg, grated
2 Tbs orange marmalade
1 Tbs breadcrumbs

cannelloni

Peel and cook the parsnips until soft - we microwaved them.
Place in food processor with cheeses, nutmeg, marmalade and
breadcrumbs and whiz until blended. Make up with pasta.

At this point, we decided to cook the pasta in a mushroom sauce. We
took four mushrooms, and cut them into thin sticks (about 2mm square).
Soften mushrooms in 2oz butter, and make up a bechamel with the mushrooms
inside, using 1pt milk. If you like sauce, you may want to increase the
mushrooms and bechamel by at least 50%.

Cover the bottom of a dish with sauce, place the cannelloni on top, then
cover with the rest of the sauce. 30 mins at 200C should do the trick.

The taste veers from the sweetness of the parsnips to the tang of the
marmalade to the bite of the parmesan to the spiciness of the nutmeg:
a true kaleidoscope of flavours.

"Polish" roast shoulder of pork

Joint of rolled pork shoulder (about 3lb/1.5kg)
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp chopped sage
1 tsp soft dark brown sugar
1 tsp (or less) dry mustard powder
garlic
salt

Mix caraway, sage, sugar and mustard, and rub into the fleshy sides of
the joint. Stud the crackling with garlic, and rub salt into it.
Cook the pork for 90 mins at 200C, then at 250C for 10-30 minutes
depending on how much more cooking is required for pork roasted to
your taste.

We placed the meat on onion staddles, and surrounded it with parboiled
potatoes and parsnips. The dome lid of our ceramic skillet was left on
for the first hour, then removed.

An excellent way of doing the shoulder, and when I cut the leftovers
for today's lunch sandwiches, it was still pretty potent. Next time,
I'd remember to bake a couple of small apples alongside.

Disclaimer - I have borrowed the word "Polish" from Chamberlain.
No authenticity is implied for our version of the recipe.

Iain

--
Iain Liddell ia...@brunel.ac.uk fax +44 18 95 25 26 91
"Thus, to the high entertainment of the angels, do we pelt each other

Allison Mitchell

Nov 11, 1994, 11:35:03 PM11/11/94
We made a nice, rich chicken soup that had lots of fall veggies in it --
potatoes, green beans, tomato, onions, butternut squash, and red pepper,
among other things.
--
Allison Mitchell, (math grad)
Emory University, Atlanta, GA

Miles Thompson

Nov 12, 1994, 8:09:05 AM11/12/94
Home made baked beans (molasses and brown sugar sauce with a bit of
mustard, sliced onions and salt pork in the beans with the sauce), baked
all day,
with
sausages sauteed with sliced apples and onions, dressed with misc herbs
(parsely, tarragon and basil this time I think) and a bit of brown sugar
with
sliced tomatoes and mustard pickles.

'Twas a cold day, and was just right

Miles Thompson
Enfield, Nova Scotia
--
Miles Thompson
mtho...@fox.nstn.ns.ca

Lauretta Nagel

Nov 14, 1994, 1:48:27 PM11/14/94

The weekend was really busy. I had planned to make and taste-test the
Cream of Pumpkin Soup with Sherry and Croutons that Anne Bourget had posted.
Not to say that Anne's recipes need taste-testing....I just wanted to make
sure I worked out my confusions BEFORE I tried serving it on Thanksgiiving!

My boyfriend was coming over Saturday afternoon to help me re-arrange
the Living Room, so I said, "Don't eat lunch, I'll feed you." We had

Cream of Pumpkin Soup
Mixed baby greens with home-made Dijon Dressing (see recipe below)
French Bread
Sparling Apple Cider to drink

and after we moved most of the stuff -
Apple Strudel (and ice cream for him)

Anne, brava!!!!!! Very, very tasty! I'm not fond of either nutmeg or mace
so I used cinnamon instead......along with allspice, black pepper and sherry.
Brava!!!

Recipe for Dressing - (measurements approximate)

1 cup light oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tblsp honey (actually a little less...the honey was hard to get off the
spoon)
1 tblsp Dijon Mustard

Dinner that night was with friends at a Mexican Restaurant: I had a
combination platter (soft taco, tacquito, burrito with the usual
accompaniments). We all retired back to my place for slices of my
SO's Ricotta Pie (nummy!).

Sunday dinner was also at a restaurant with friends...this time
Northern Italian. (We had a *french* waiter, can you believe it? :)
Spoke great Italian but lousy English!) I had ear-shaped pasta tossed
with spicy italian sausage and spinach in garlic and oil. I think I'll
have try it at home.

Lauretta Nagel

Iain G Liddell

Nov 14, 1994, 5:29:30 AM11/14/94
This weekend I finally got round to making the Christmas cake and the
Black Bun for our New Year's Day walk, so that rather hampered our
ability to work hard on our weekend meals. Mary's oriental Chicken with
Walnuts was a one-skillet meal (plus a saucepan for the rice), and my
roast beef came at the end of a kitchen-bound weekend (though the weather
outside was not tempting me beyond the threshold), so it was simple, though
effective.

Chicken and Walnuts

500g diced breast of chicken
100g walnut halves
2 onions, chopped
Spring onions to taste
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
3cm piece of ginger root, grated
3 cloves garlic, smashed
30ml sherry
Oil for frying
Soy sauce - about 40ml

Get the garlic going in the oil: stir in the ginger.
Add the onions, then the peppers, walnuts, chicken and spring onions.
Saute, then add the liquids and saute further.

We served it on brown rice, since our fabled shopping acumen had brought
us to the choice of this or arborio. Excellent.

Downside - I'm sure the skillet will recover ;-) . Just remember that ceramic
pots don't need the intense heat for ever - they retain the heat very well.

Trad roast beef and Yorkshire pudding

1.5kg rib roast of beef
1tsp each of mustard powder, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves (all ground)

Mix spices and rub into the sides (not the cut ends) of the beef.
We gave it 80 mins at 170C, then 10mins at 240C for a perfectly pink
inside (fan-assisted oven).

Yorkshire pudding

75g plain flour
1 egg
200ml milk

Beat egg. Gradually add flour and milk, beating all the while. Allow
to stand for 30 mins before making puddings.

Place dripping or other fat in 6 deep bun tins, and place the tray in
the oven as you increase the temperature at the end of the meat-cooking.
When the fat is really hot, pour the pudding mix into the tins.

They get 10 mins with the meat in the oven, then 10 mins with the meat out,
standing on the carving board.

We served this with roast potatoes and courgettes sauteed in garlic.

To make the roast potatoes, we quartered four new potatoes and parboiled
them (in their skins). Any skins which were detaching at this point, we
peeled, but generally left them on. A little olive oil was used to lubricate
them and stop them sticking to the pot, and they were cooked with the meat
throughout its time. When they came out with the meat, they were transferred
to another tray, a handful of rosemary was thrown onto them, and they went
back in to join the Yorkshire puddings for the last ten minutes at 240C.

Meanwhile, we deglazed the meat pan with red wine, and added just enough
cornflour and water to make a good gravy.

Served with a bottle of 1990 Pinot Noir from the vineyard of the developers
of NUD.IST software on the outskirts of Melbourne (Oz, not Derbyshire).

Today, we have some shavings of beef for sandwich lunches, with plenty
of horseradish sauce, in home-made wholemeal bread with porridge and
poppy-seeds.

Hmmm, that roast beef reads like a lot of work - honestly it was easy ...
at least compared to pitting prunes, making Black Bun and particularly,
compared to my three hours defrosting the fridge. I really wanted to
play Vaughan Williams' Sinfonia Antartica during that job (ooh, these
ice-burns behind my fingernails still hurt).

Stan Horwitz

Nov 25, 1994, 11:51:17 AM11/25/94
Since Thursday (yesterday) was Thanksgiving in the United States, my family
and I got together for the traditional turkey dinner we always have on TG.
My mother usually hosts the TG feast, however, my aunt did the hosting this
year and I wasn't not recruited by my mother to contribute any of the food.

Dinner at my aunt's house was superb both in the quality of the food and in
the company who was there to have dinner. I come from a family which has very
simple tastes in food and it shows each Thanks Giving. We had a big turkey
that turned out very tasty with simple bread stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn,
cranberry sauce from a can, apple sauce from a jar, that string bean casserole
from the recipe on back of the Durkee onion package and brocolli. I thoroughly
enjoyed the food and the opportunity to chat with my relatives.

For dessert, we had various kinds of pies. There was a home made pumpkin
pie which was sugar and mostly fat free along with a home made regular pie
of pumpkins. I passed on both of those pies and the rasberry and apple pies
too. Instead, I went straight for the Boston Creme pie that one of my cousins
brought. This pie was incredibly good tasting! Yum! I was good though and I
only had one slice, but I sure did want a second slice.

Well, now its time for me to get out of my home and do something to burn off
some of those calories from last night's feast. I hope that those of you who
celebrate Thanksgiving had a fine holiday too. Be well all.

--
My name is Stan Horwitz and my E-mail address is st...@astro.ocis.temple.edu
My opinions are all mine. They do not reflect those of my employer.

bulka

Nov 26, 1994, 2:06:00 PM11/26/94
I was tired of my friends saying that everything I cooked tasted
somehow "ethnic". Thought I'd invent a real American dinner. Stuffed
a chicken with a couple of Big Macs. Basted it with a small Coke, no
ice. Roasted it. In the last fifteen minutes or so, uncovered the
chicken, poured off the Coke and grease, reduced & thickened it,
nestled a couple orders of large fries around the chicken. Did it as a
joke, but it came out better than I had expected. Actually liked the
Coke gravy on the fries.

Served it with jackfruit milkshakes (from the list) - way too sweet
for me, but thanks anyway. I had a jar of jackfruit in the cupbord for
ages, and didn't know what to do with them.

Bradley E. Wohlenberg

Nov 27, 1994, 2:09:56 PM11/27/94

Before Thanksgiving, I made one of Brad's favorites, from the "Quick
Cuisine" Cookbook, Hungarian Paprika Chicken.

1/3 C Flour
2 T Sweet Hungarian Paprika (we found it at an upscale supermarket here,
Bristol Farms, but you'll probably find it at ethnic markets, etc.)
2 t Kosher Salt
1/2 t Freshly ground black pepper
6 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1" diagonal strips
2 T virgin olive oil
2 T unsalted butter
1 white onion, minced
1/3 C chicken broth
3/4 C sour cream (we used fat free, and it turned out great)
Finely grated rind of one large lemon
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Combine the flour, 1 T of the paprika, and the salt and pepper on a plate
and dredge the chicken pieces in the mixture. Heat the oil and butter in
large saute pan and saute the chicken over high heat, not more than 4
minutes. Remove to a plate, cover and keep warm.

Add the remaining T of paprika and the onion to the skillet and gently
cook until golden. Mix in the broth, return the chicken to the pan,
cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and lemon
peel, and heat gently for a few minutes, but do not boil. Season
carefully to taste with salt and pepper and serve on a heated platter.

I serve this over white rice, but potatoes would probably be just as good.

Jennifer

Bill Rohwer

Nov 27, 1994, 3:11:19 PM11/27/94
Thanksgiving dinner Thursday at Catahoula, in Calistoga, CA was first rate.

It was a four-course meal, prix fixe ($35 per person plus wine tax and
tip), with three choices for the second, third, and fourth courses. The no
choice first course was an ethereal oyster stew: three very fresh tasting,
just-warmed plump oysters in fumet broth, barely enriched with cream,
containing a scattering of mirepoix, and a few thin slices of fennel, with
a hint of chile tang. Combined beautifully with a Roederer NV Blanc de
Blanc. We enjoyed all three of the second courses. Each was served with
mixed baby greens, (different mixes for each) in very light vinaigrettes.
One of these was an intensely flavored trerrine of duck, pork, chanterelles
and truffles -- very rich and savory. Another was roasted quail and
deep-fried pancetta, arrayed on the greens -- succulent. The third choice
brought prawns boiled to a crunchy al dente texture with the freshest of
flavor that finished with the liveliness of jalapeno. The prawns were
bedded on the greens (lots of frisee) which was outlined in a spicy
remoulade sauce. Every dish was well-complemented by a 1993 Cakebread
Sauvignon Blanc. For our entree, we all had the zinfandel roast turkey
served with a very robust dressing of roasted bread, crumbled sauteed
sausage, chunks of pumpkin that had been grilled and smoked, all of this
moistened with turkey stock. The stock also provided the sauce for the
turkey (which was a mite tough), after it had been much reduced and
strained to the point of an intense consomme. With this dish, the young
raspberry fruit of a 1992 Elyse Zinfandel was luscious. The desserts, too
were delicious, but I'm now hitting the typo-fatigue wall. The decor is a
kick, the service is swift and congenial.

Bill Rohwer

Stan Horwitz

Nov 27, 1994, 8:52:02 PM11/27/94
Tonight (Sunday), I spent most of the day in my office working on a research
paper for one of my graduate courses. Before I left home for my office this
morning, I took out a boneless and skinless chicken breast from my freezer.
I sprinked a few table spoons of soy and terriaki sauce on it and put it in
my refridgerater to thaw. I than went out to my office and wrote a few more
pages of my research paper.

When I got home around 5:30, I put a fresh Idaho potato in a 475 degree oven
and let it sit there for an hour. I than put a couple of drops of olive oil
in a hot pan and fried the chicken breast for few minutes on each side.

Wow! This quick meal turned out superb! This was the first time that I made
myself a baked potato in several years, mainly because I rarely have an hour
to kill in order to wait for it to cook. The baked potato was superb. It was
all white and fluffy inside with a nice crispy skin as a result of not using
aluminum foil in which to wrap the potato. The chicken was nice and juice to
the point where the bottom of the plate was covered with chicken drippings.
I served this with some peas and mushrooms. Yum! Oh, and I had a couple of
tall glasses of ice water to wash this glorious dinner down.

CJBmom

Nov 27, 1994, 9:40:30 PM11/27/94
While the kids ate pizza and watched Scooby Doo, I split open an Eli's
onion sourdough baguette, toasted it under the broiler for a minute,
drizzled olive oil on it and covered the bread with crumbled gorgonzola
cheese, put it back under the flame til the cheese melted. I ate it
standing up in the kitchen drinking Paul Newman's lemonade out of the
carton. Heaven!

Lauretta Nagel

Dec 1, 1994, 12:01:52 PM12/1/94

Thursday was the usual Turkey, home-made cranberry sauce, stuffing (my Mom's
friend made a sausage stuffing that had a bit of a kick to it...think it
was cayenne or black pepper), mashed potatoes, buttered corn, buttered
grean beans, biscuits, and a relish tray...for 14.

Oh yes, I brought Cream of Pumpkin Soup with Sherry and Croutons (thanks
again to Anne Bourget!) and Mom made Pumpkin Pie, Apple Steusel Pie,
Macadamia Coconut Pie (which reminds me I need to get this recipe from
her), and Cheescake. Left-overs (of everything but the turkey!) were sent
home with other guests so none of us had to eat only our own cooking for
the rest of the weekend. Yum!

Saturday, I took my Significant Other out to celebrate his new job with
a pipe organ builder.......I had Butternut Squash and Granny Smith Apple
Soup with some kind of crusty bread that had olives in it; then beef
medallions in a beautiful au jus/red wine broth with Potatoes Duchesse and
blanched asparagus. Oh yes, a nice Beaujolais (sic?). The potatoes had
some kind of seasoning added to them that I couldn't indentify.....
does anyone out there fix Duchesse Potatoes? Is the magic ingredient sour
cream or buttermilk or something?

For the lady who inadvertently made jellied cranberry sauce.......the
recipe you want from the back of the bag is not the relish one. I think
it's the one right below it, the one that talks about cooking them until
they pop. Your post was enlightening for me......I'd always wondered
how you jellied up cranberry sauce.

Bon Appetit
Lauretta Nagel

Jim Mork

Dec 3, 1994, 12:41:07 PM12/3/94
Isn't it wonderful to live in a country where we HAVE enough to eat? Do
we think about those who don't (Yes, we can't save them all, but do we
reach out a hand to help one? It's a start)

--
Jim Mork 27...@tccn.com Minneapolis, Minnesota

"If you tighten the vina's string too much, it will snap.
If you leave it too slack, it won't play."

Stan Horwitz

Dec 3, 1994, 11:16:01 PM12/3/94
Tonight, my parents hosted a Hanuka party for our family. My parents invited
lots of relatives and some friends over their house for dinner. We had turkey
with candied yams, roasted potatoes, peas and carrots, stuffing, and a few
other things too. The food, especially the turkey was superb. Sometimes, my
mom's turkey turns out dry, but this was not one of those times. My mom made
the entire dinner, except for our desserts and everything she made was yummy!
Various people bought desserts. One of my cousins made some sort of home made
candy like peanut brittle which was incredibly good! We had various pies and
cakes too, but I am not big on desserts so I just had a small piece of a low
fat lemon thing and some of the candy.

This was one of the nicest holiday dinners my parents threw. I thoroughly
enjoyed the food and the company of my various cousins and friends tonight.
This is starting out to be a wonderful holiday season! I hope everyone else
has a fine holiday season too.

Mr Z

Dec 5, 1994, 5:36:07 AM12/5/94

Well, you sure must have had a smashing time! Yum-yum. But how come you passed
on the raspberry pie? Now that for me stands like very difficult riddle to solve.

Yum-yum.

Barbara Laffan

Dec 7, 1994, 1:39:45 AM12/7/94
A simply night, baked potatoes stuffed with cheddar cheese sauce and
broccoli. Ice cream for dessert. I had spent the afternoon smearing red
clay on styrofoam to simulate a Pueblo village for my daughter's Social
studies project and felt that was enough.

Dan Masi

Dec 7, 1994, 5:32:47 PM12/7/94
Piece of duck thigh, salad of baby greens, endive and chicory w/
raspberry maple vinaigrette, french bread-n-butter.

---
Dan Masi
Mentor Graphics Corp.
da...@warren.mentorg.com

Mona Oommen

Dec 7, 1994, 5:59:13 PM12/7/94
Some awful food at a "southwest bar/grill" type chain restaurant called
Chili's. We had steak fajitas for 2 --it wasn't steak, it was some
terribly fatty meat. Question: what would you do in this situation?
ie, without making a terrible fuss or scene.

Had a 'tums' for dessert which didn't help as much as it should have.

Mona

Bradley E. Wohlenberg

Dec 8, 1994, 11:18:19 AM12/8/94
Well, Brad was sworn in as an attorney yesterday, so we felt we needed to
celebrate afterwards. We went to McCormick & Schmick's, a seafood
restaurant which has some chains on the west coast. Brad had chilean sea
bass stuffed with crab and sonoma brie. I had pan-fried baby coho salmon
with lemon dill butter, topped off with a glass of white zinfandel. The
food would have been wonderful, had I not gotten food poisoning three
hours later! :( I'm sure the fish was the culprit, since I hadn't eaten
much of anything prior to that yesterday. This restaurant has always
seemed to *just* miss the mark, or maybe I just have bad luck. Last time
I went (on Valentine's Day 94) I ordered baked salmon, and the entire
thing was raw in the middle. (eeww! :)) Anyway, Brad loved his food!

Jennifer

Bill Rohwer

Dec 8, 1994, 1:20:50 PM12/8/94
Sauteed mahi mahi on a bed of baby greens and diced tomato lightly dressed
with olive oil (Pinot Bianco from the Alto Adige).

Braised pork tenderloin with parmesan baked rice (David Bruce Pinot Noir).

Braised Pork Tenderloin:

Serves 4
The marinade:

1-1/2 to 2 lbs. pork tenderloin cut into 2 in. long chunks
12 juniper berries
8 black peppercorns
minced leaves from 4 sprigs rosemary
2 minced shallots
1 cup dry red wine

The braise:

3 cups veal stock reduced to 1 cup
salt to taste
1/2 lb. shiitake mushrooms

Place the pork in a plastic ziplock bag. In a mortar pulverize the juniper
berries and peppercorns. Combine them with the other marinade ingredients
and pour over the pork. Seal the bag and marinate for eight hours or
overnight.

Remove the pork and dry it thoroughly on paper towels, reserving the
marinade. Lightly paint each chunk of pork with olive oil. Heat a
non-stick saute pan over medium high heat. Brown the pork well on both
sides. Add the marinade, veal stock and salt to taste.. Bring to a very
slow simmer and cover the pan. Braise for three hours.

About five minutes before the braising is complete, add the mushrooms to
the braising liquid, correct the seasoning, and cover again. After five
minutes, remove the pork and mushrooms. Bring the liquid to a boil and
reduce to 3/4 cup.

Serve the pork, mushrooms, and sauce with one cup of rice that has been
baked with 2 cups veal stock, salt, and 1/2 cup of grated parmesan in a 400
degree oven for 35 minutes.

CJBmom

Dec 8, 1994, 7:25:23 PM12/8/94
In article <3c5eo1$6...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, oom...@brazil.psych.purdue.edu
(Mona Oommen) writes:

Poor you. I would have just sent back the dinner and ordered a Corona
with lime.

Hope tonight's dinner was better.

Ray Taylor

Dec 8, 1994, 8:34:41 PM12/8/94

Only took about 1/2 hour:

* Skillet Sesame Chicken
* Gingered Pea Pods with Red Pepper
* Lemon Zest Rice

* Canei Rose Wine

/rt
--
"If you can't have the best of everything...
Make the best of everything you have!"

Anne Bourget

Dec 8, 1994, 7:25:49 PM12/8/94
Butternut Squash Apple Soup with dollop of creme fraiche and fresh sage
Salad of mixed baby greens and garlic croutons
Rack of Lamb with Garlic-Mustard-Hazelnut coating
Wild Rice Pilaf with Toasted Pine Nuts
Julienne of Red Peppers and Zucchini
Creme Brulee

No, I don't eat like this every night. It was a Christmas dinner cooking
class.

Anne Bourget
Anne Bourget bou...@netcom.com

Iain G Liddell

Dec 9, 1994, 9:38:28 AM12/9/94

Well, what with one thing and another, we don't seem to have cooked anything
for ourselves since before Thanksgiving. We were in Scotland for a few days
this week (on sombre business), and caught the so-called sleeper train back
on Tue/Wed.

Wednesday night, therefore, was a quick meal before we keeled over: I got
some pork chops from the supermarket and did a quasi-Avesnoise coating.
I softened some onions in butter, stirred in some chopped hazelnuts, some
grated Cheddar, and a large dollop of coarse-grain mustard (the cheese and
mustard are obligatory for Avesnoise, the rest was a whim). Having grilled
the chops on both sides, I spread the topping on them, and toasted it (a
bit like a Welsh Rarebit). Chops served on a bed of chives-and-poppyseed
enriched mashed potatoes. Then a ten-hour sleep.

In the same supermarket raid, I picked up a 2.2kg duck for last night
(Thursday). Stuffed it, roasted it on a cradle to keep the fat draining
away - next time I'll prick the body but not the legs, which dried out.
Served it with plain boiled parsnips.

Stuffing: 25g butter
caraway seeds - I used a handful
1 onion, chopped
2 Egremont Russet apples, peeled and chopped
salt, pepper and cinnamon
2 bread rolls, crumbed
50ml white wine

Melt butter, cook seeds for 2 mins.
Add onion, apple and spices. Cook till onion/apple soften.
Stir in bread, add wine to bind.

The duck was stuffed, then rubbed with salt. Lots of black pepper
was then ground onto the skin.

It was cooked for 1 hour at 180C, then another 50ml wine was poured
over, before giving it another half hour at 180C.

Five minutes was allotted to let the duck rest before serving: in the
end it got 15 mins as phone-calls shuttled across Europe in search of
a Channel Tunnel train ticket!

Last night, we ate the limbs along with virtually all the stuffing:
today's packed lunch was sliced duck breast sandwich rolls, thus:

Spread each (inside) surface of the bread with a little butter,
then with a thin layer of orange marmalade.

Lay duck on each side (on the marmalade), then place sliced tomatoes
as a central layer. We had oat-enriched rolls - they were superb.

Tonight? Haven't a clue. We'll either get inspiration as we somnambulate
round the supermarket, or we'll nip up to the White Horse and have some
of their food (and see what their guest beer is this week).

A curiousity when I was trying to check on suggested amounts of caraway
seeds - I looked up a cookbook index to find the following sequence:

Caraway
Catherine the Great of Russia
Cauliflower

Somehow, I think a stratified index is called for!!

Sam Rosenbaum

Dec 9, 1994, 5:17:20 PM12/9/94
I went out to Mariko, my favorite Japanese restaurant, with my parents
and we sat at the Sushi bar. Among other delicacies we had an excellent
Hamachi (Yellowtail, a kind of tuna I believe), and something called
Surf Clam - my question is, what kind of clam is this and where from?
Does it have another name that anyone knows of? I thought it might have
been Geoduck but then I saw the chef cutting them up and they are much smaller,
although still very large, relatively, as clams go, about 3" across the
body - big enough to have me eyeing them and muttering to my mother
about getting a frying pan and some remoulade sauce ;^) Just curious.

Sam.

ps - they were really good, quite tender and meaty.
.

--

***** rose...@epas.utoronto.ca ***** Woof!

Christiana L. Calvert

Dec 9, 1994, 7:50:12 PM12/9/94
Oh would I love to have these recipes! Would you post them?

Thanks so much!

Christi

Bradley E. Wohlenberg

Dec 10, 1994, 11:42:20 PM12/10/94
Today was a day full of Christmas shopping (bah humbug!) and fast food
eating, so when we got home, we wanted something light. I picked up a
pound of salmon filet on the way home, then cut it in to four pieces. I
mixed together the juice of half a lemon, some olive oil, and fresh dill
and marinated the salmon in that (pink side down) for 30 minutes. Then,
I put them in the broiler for about 10 minutes (these were extra thick,
so I had to get the insides done) and served them over angel hair pasta
tossed with olive oil, dill, and parmesan.

Brad said, "MMMM :)"

Jennifer

Anne Bourget

Dec 11, 1994, 10:47:48 PM12/11/94
Great day. Much was accomplished and I had a good time doing it all too:
Christmas shopping nearly completed, actually read the entire New York
Times (especially enjoyed Anne Ravel's bit about squirrels and do they
remember where they buried all those acorns), wrapped presents, wrote
some Christmas cards, and went grocery shopping. It turned cold an rainy
about mid-afternoon, just when a friend stopped by for tea. We made
gingerbread and lit a fire.

Tonight I am having turkey soup (yes, I still have some left!) and caesar
salad, and ONE Mystic Mint cookie for dessert.

Anne

Ken Hinds

Dec 11, 1994, 11:10:02 PM12/11/94

Tonight I tried Vera Cane's River Meat Pies, which someone
had posted a while back. Nuked some broccoli to go with 'em.
Yum! Them's some good eatin'!

Later this week I'm going to try the Dirty Rice recipe
also posted a while back.

And yesterday, I tried a new recipe from the newspaper:
"Macaroni Cooked in an Herbed Vegetable Sauce". (I don't
know, I was feeling adventurous this week.) I think it's
good enough to have a permanent place in my recipes notebook.

Macaroni Cooked in an Herbed Vegetable Sauce
(from "The Best of Bugialli", by Giuliano Bugialli)

2 oz pancetta or prosciutto
2 large red onions, cleaned
2 medium celery stalks
2 medium carrots, scraped
1 small clove garlic, peeled (I used 4 good-sized ones)
15 sprigs Italian parsley, leaves only
4 large basil leaves
4 tbs olive oil
1 lb all-purpose potatoes
salt and freshly-ground black pepper
4 tbs tomato paste
2 to 2 1/2 quarts hot chicken stock or meat broth
1 lb dried short curly pasta, such as fusilli
freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
freshly ground black pepper
20 large basil leaves, torn into thirds

Cut the pancetta or prosciutto into tiny pieces.
Finely chop the onions, celery, carrots, garlic,
parsley, and basil all together on a board.
Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized stockpot
over medium heat. When the oil is warm, add the
pancetta or prosciutto. Saute for 5 minutes.
Then add the chopped vegetables and herbs and
saute, stirring every so often with a wooden
spoon, until the onions are translucent, about
10 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and thinly slice them.
Add the potato slices to the stockpot. Raise
the heat to high, season with salt and pepper, and
saute for 5 minutes more.

Dissolve the tomato paste in 2 quarts of the
broth. Add the mixture to the stockpot and cook
for 20 minutes, or until reduced to 3 to 3 1/2 cups.
Add the pasta to the pot, stir very well, and
add the remaining hot broth if more liquid is
needed in order to cook the pasta.
As the pasta cooks, it should absorb the broth,
so that when the pasta is almost cooked, after
about 10 minutes, there should be no remaining
unabsorbed broth.

Taste for salt and pepper and let the pasta
continue to cook in the sauce, constantly stirring
with a wooden spoon, until al dente.
Transfer the contents of the stockpot to a
large warmed serving platter and sprinkle on the
cheese, followed by the pepper and basil leaves.
Serve hot.

Ken Hinds | People should always think things | |_________|_____ |
San Diego | out fresh, instead of just accepting|___ |_ _| |_ |_|
California USA | conventional beliefs and |_ |_| | | _| |_ |
hin...@cts.com | conventional ways of doing things. | | _| |_| |_ _|_|
| | |_|_ | |_| |_| |
________________|__________-- R. Buckminster Fuller__|_____|_|_____|_____|

Mary Frye

Dec 12, 1994, 10:33:21 AM12/12/94

Last week my husband wanted to bring a few friends home from
the office for a "little informal gathering, to chat and drink
some nice wine."

Easiest thing to do since it was a working day for me.

Pizzas -- all different kinds:

goat cheese pizza with sliced tomato and garlic

pesto pizza with pinenuts

traditional style pizza.

we had artichokes for appetizers (i know not great with wine!!)

and ceaser salad.

Johanna Turner

Dec 12, 1994, 2:37:53 PM12/12/94
I got a new cookbook for my birthday last week called 8 Items or Less. It's
by Ann Lovejoy and focuses on good fresh food prepared simply. I've only
made one thing out of it but it was really good. And it's what we had for
dinner last night along with baked potatoes and salad (with tomato and
avocado).

Pork Chops with Pears and Ginger

You need:
2 pork chops (about 12oz total) (thick ones)
1 tsp butter
1in cube of ginger minced or grated
1/2 medium onion thickly sliced
2 pears--peeled, cored and thickly sliced
1/2 cup of red wine

Preheat oven to 350.
Melt butter in frying pan, brown pork chops quickly. Move pork chops to a
baking dish (preferably one that has a lid). In the pan saute the ginger,
onions and pears for a few minutes (5-6) until softened and browned a
little. Layer on top of the pork chops. Pour the wine over the pork chops (I
actually used it to deglaze the frying pan first since all the yummy brown
bits looked like they shouldn't be wasted). Bake for 45-50 minutes. You
might want to take the lid off for a bit at the end to thicken the sauce.

You can add salt and pepper if you like, I didn't during the cooking, but
did when eating it. The pork chops could be easily cut with a fork and were
delicious. My sweetie said it was definitely a recipe worth keeping. And so
easy, that I managed to make 2 double batches of bar cookies while dinner
was being made. (3 double batches total in 3 hours including cooking and
eating dinner.)

Johanna

tur...@reed.edu Johanna Turner
Computer User Services Reed College

Dan Cohen

Dec 13, 1994, 2:04:37 AM12/13/94
In article <wdr-0812...@tol1mac29.soe.berkeley.edu>,

Bill Rohwer <w...@violet.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>Sauteed mahi mahi on a bed of baby greens and diced tomato lightly dressed
>with olive oil (Pinot Bianco from the Alto Adige).

Mahi mahi?

You mean dolphin?

Shields up,

--dc//laughing up sleeve
--

da...@philos.umass.edu
da...@titan.ucs.umass.edu

Liz

Dec 13, 1994, 5:46:01 AM12/13/94
Went to the new Stephen Pyles restaurant, Star Canyon. (Gary's band was
playing a party so I got to go)

Everything had really wierd suaces (you know the kind: cilantro, lime,
tequila aioli with roasted vegetable coulis - you just go how the hell did he
come up with that?) At any rate, I can't remember all the sauces but I'll
try. Unfortunately, I did not get to try all the nibbles, however - what I
did get to try follows:

Fabulous foods:
Penne with venison sausage, cherries, and garlic
Shrimp with some sort of lime marinade
Halibut Escabeche with cilantro aioli (told you)
Oysters and clams with a thin sauce made with lime and cilantro and onion
White chocolate brownie with dark chocolate sauce

(*Everything* seemed to have cilantro)

OK foods:
roasted vegetable linguine (tasted like your basic spaghetti)
black bean nacho (leave this to the mexican restaurants)
crab quesadilla (ditto)
duck confit on toast (way too sweet)
bread pudding (no fruit! mine is much better)
chocolate truffle (Godiva's are better)

There was another buffet of salads that I did not get to try (line was too
long and I had to leave). Besides, I was full at this point...

Conclusion:
I don't think I'll spend my own money there (it's pretty expensive) but they
have a really neat bar that I'd go back to for cocktails. Pyles also owned
Baby Routh and the Routh St Cafe. I don't really like "nouvelle cuisine". I
realize none of the menu sounds too outrageous, but all of the printed cards
with the dishes on them were like reading a novel - too many ingredients.
It's great at a cocktail party, but the menu is the same and I'm not sure I'd
want an entire plate of anything I ate. Now, if someone else is buying....

Liz

Liz

Dec 13, 1994, 5:47:19 AM12/13/94
In article <3cjh25...@titan.ucs.umass.edu> da...@titan.ucs.umass.edu (Dan Cohen) writes:
>In article <wdr-0812...@tol1mac29.soe.berkeley.edu>,
>Bill Rohwer <w...@violet.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>Sauteed mahi mahi on a bed of baby greens and diced tomato lightly dressed
>>with olive oil (Pinot Bianco from the Alto Adige).
>>

>Mahi mahi?

>You mean dolphin?

>Shields up,

Is that with or without j/lnhlghm sauce?

Liz

Pat Churchill

Dec 13, 1994, 10:18:09 PM12/13/94
An indifferent spinach and fetta pie I bought at the supermarket then far
too much of the chocolate truffle mix (I was making Christmas goodies for
friends). Had to do a bit of quality control :-) ...

Totally gross.

Stan Horwitz

Dec 18, 1994, 12:14:00 PM12/18/94
Yesterday (Saturday), I spent most of the day at work in my office to make
progress on a research paper I am writing for one of my graduate course to
complete an incomplete I have in that course. After several hours alone in
my office, I decided that I had done enough work so I went home.

On the way home, I stopped at the store and picked up a fresh hoagie roll
and some frozen cottage fries from Ore Ida. I heated the french frie like
potatoes in my oven. When they were nearly done, I sauted up some frozen
steak sandwhich meat and a large fresh mushroom (sliced) and served the
meat and the mushroom as a Philadelphia steak sandwhich. I meant to get some
cheese from the store, but it completely slipped my mind so I did without it.

Stan Horwitz

Dec 18, 1994, 10:31:25 PM12/18/94
Tonight, my parents visited my apartment for dinner. The main course was a
dish called "roast chicken with herb butter" which was supplied to me by a
gentleman named Eric Hunt who sent me the recipe through Usenet. This chicken
involves creating a butter herb mixture which gets spread on the flesh of a
whole chicken under its skin. This gets slowly roasted along with some vegies
such as carrots, onion, and celery. I added some fresh muchrooms to the
recipe that Eric sent me. I also served some french style string beans which
I cooked on top of the stove then mixed with the vegies that cooked with the
chicken. I also made some fresh mashed potatoes (not the kind from a package)
which were also mixed with some of the herb butter that was left over from
the chicken.

My parents said the chicken was very tasy. I agreed. It was so juicy that even
after the chicken was served, the plate I used to serve the chicken was full
of the chicken juices even though I drained them out from the chicken before
putting it in the plate to make some gravy. The chicken was very moist and
flavorful and the mashed potatoes had a subtle herb garlic taste. Yum!

For dessert, my folks had coffee (not me, I hate coffee) and I had a cold Diet
Pepsi. We had some non-fat chocolate chip cake that my parents brought over
for this meal. The meal was very tasty and I even have enough left for another
couple of dinners so I know what I will be eating for the next couple of
nights. After dessert, my dad watched the end of the Eagles vs. Giants game
while I cleaned up from dinner. We than watched the movie the Pelican Brief
which I recently purchased on Laser Disk. This was a very nice evening which
I rarely do with my parents. I have nother whole chicken that's waiting in
my freezer. I think I will use this same menu and invite my sister, her boy-
friend, and maybe a friend or two of mine to share with me in a week or two.

Liz R (RLIZ)

Dec 19, 1994, 6:42:06 AM12/19/94
In article <bourgetD...@netcom.com> bou...@netcom.com (Anne Bourget) writes:

>Butternut Squash Apple Soup with dollop of creme fraiche and fresh sage
>Salad of mixed baby greens and garlic croutons
>Rack of Lamb with Garlic-Mustard-Hazelnut coating
>Wild Rice Pilaf with Toasted Pine Nuts
>Julienne of Red Peppers and Zucchini

recipes please - especially for the lamb - it sounds great

>Creme Brulee

are you sure you don't mean flan? or was that creme caramel :>

LizR

bulka

Dec 19, 1994, 2:13:14 AM12/19/94
Sometimes it's more fun to cook than eat, so things back up in the
fridge. The last few days I've been eating a lot of leftovers. A pie
with pork and fennel, one with pork, apples, kraut and potatoes, one
with mostly cabbage, eggs, cottage cheese, and another Big Mac stuffed
chicken that I made for a party (but my guests were more interested in
drinking than eating that night)

At an ESL potluck last week I had an excellent Peruvian potato dish and
some interesting Arabic cookies. If I can get the recipies, I'll pass
them on.

BILL HILBRICH, ST. CLOUD, MN

Dec 20, 1994, 12:49:44 AM12/20/94
In article <3d1qko$k...@cronkite.ocis.temple.edu>, st...@astro.ocis.temple.edu (Stan Horwitz) writes:

>On the way home, I stopped at the store and picked up a fresh hoagie roll
>and some frozen cottage fries from Ore Ida.

OK, since you actually bought a hoagie roll, please describe it, and try to
explain it's origin and perameters to all those Hoagie obsessed people. Then
for your next trick, explain a Blintz.

Bill

Bradley E. Wohlenberg

Dec 21, 1994, 2:43:20 PM12/21/94
Last night was a, "Quick, wolf it down!" kind of night, since we still
have last minute shopping to do. I defrosted some chicken breasts, then
while that was doing, I washed about five red potatoes and quartered
them. I made a flour mixture with cayenne pepper, creole seasoning,
garlic salt, salt and freshly ground black pepper, then threw some butter
and olive oil into a pan. I put the potatoes in bowling water and shook
the chicken breasts up with the flour. I put the chicken breasts in the
pan and let them cook, about five-six minutes for each side. By then,
the potatoes were done, so I mashed them with a little milk, a couple T
of butter, and about 2 oz. of fat free cream cheese. I then threw
cayenne pepper and salt and pepper in and mixed that up.

Pretty much a variation on Fried Chicken and mashed potatoes, but it was
*really* good!

Jennifer

S. Bhattacharyya

Dec 21, 1994, 8:40:40 PM12/21/94
In article <3d5r9o$2...@urvile.msus.edu>,
BILL HILBRICH, ST. CLOUD, MN <hilb...@TIGGER.STCLOUD.MSUS.EDU> wrote:

> ...... Then

>for your next trick, explain a Blintz.

Isn't that a reindeer steak?

- Shankar

Michael J. Edelman

Dec 22, 1994, 10:24:23 AM12/22/94
In article 2...@ios.com, sbha...@ios.com (S. Bhattacharyya) writes:

>> ...... Then
>>for your next trick, explain a Blintz.
>
>Isn't that a reindeer steak?
>
>- Shankar

Ask the Donner party.

--mike

Ceon Ramon

Dec 29, 1994, 3:14:28 PM12/29/94
In article <3daleo$2...@ios.com>, S. Bhattacharyya <sbha...@ios.com> wrote:

>BILL HILBRICH, ST. CLOUD, MN <hilb...@TIGGER.STCLOUD.MSUS.EDU> wrote:
>>for your next trick, explain a Blintz.

>Isn't that a reindeer steak?

Why, yes, it is. How clever of you to recognize this, Shankar!
Traditionally served with a Dash er so of pepper, after which native
Greenlanders Dance around a ice scupture of Cupid.

Doris F Kuehl

Dec 29, 1994, 3:47:39 PM12/29/94
What a silly meal we had! We leave later today for some time in the
southern sun, so had to clean out the refridge. Alittle this and
alittle that -- wild rice, basmati rice, lemon pepper chicken, gingered
carrots, cabbage slaw, orange/apple (We are sure tired of the fruit
basket, gave the rest to one of our kids) and one piece of pumpkin pie.
Tonight we toast the last of the oatmeal bread (with peanut butter
spread on while hot) and the last of the light rye (with honey/mustard).
The fruitcake and deer sausage (gifts) will have to be thrown out, just
not our kind of food. Will spend a week with my brother and a sister
(with our spouses) while we clear out my Dads Florida home. Wonder what
we'll be cooking? Then we get to hit the beach at St.Petersburg, plan
to get some fresh grouper (fish) fixed in many different ways. Will be
in a condo so may cook -- who knows?

--
Doris F Kuehl
dfk...@iastate.edu

Stan Horwitz

Dec 29, 1994, 4:42:43 PM12/29/94
Two nights ago, some friends stopped by my house to join me for dinner and a movie.
I made a Mexican meal for them. This was the first time I cooked Mexican food for
friends and for myself, no less, but I was in the mood to cook and tacos and
buritos were the only things I could think of that we all would enjoy and still
allow me to stay on a low budget.

Anyway, since I never cooked Mexican food before and I rarely eat it, I decided
to go the easy way and I purchased one kit to make 10 tacos and another to make
10 buritos. I made ground beef tacos and chicken with black beans and corn
buritos and Spanish Style Rice-A-Roni. The meal was superb and my guests seemed
to enjoy my cooking a lot even though I didn't make the food from scratch.

We did not have any dessert, but after dinner, we watched a laser disk of the
movie, Groundhog Day, which I just received as a Christmas gift from a friend.

Last night, I ate dinner over my parents' house. It was just baked chicken with
seamed whole potatoes and string beans. The dinner was okay, but I am tired of
baked chicken. I only eat it because my mom and dad eat it almost every day. Ugh!

Tonight, I am going to dinner over a friend's house. He's making hamburgers and
french fries. Its not going to be anything fancy, but several other people I know
will be there and I am sure the food will be quite tasty and the company enjoyable.

Manzoor ul Hassan

Dec 30, 1994, 11:22:12 AM12/30/94

Cilli Macaroni Hamburger Helper made with ground turkey. I still have
about half of it, that's probably going to be a lunch next week.

-Manzoor.

From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life.
- Arthur Ashe.

Jim Parent

Jan 1, 1995, 2:16:59 AM1/1/95
Scratch pizza. New York style crust, peeled and smooshed plum tomatoes,
eight cloves of garlic, and a fist full of semi-fresh basil; Washed down
with a Moosehead.

--
Jim Parent Los Gatos CA

CJBmom

Jan 2, 1995, 2:09:43 PM1/2/95
Brought home a barbecue deli chicken.....
served it with diced sweet potato and chopped garlic roasted with lots of
black pepper (out of this world) and sliced shitakes sauteed. Green salad
with olive oil, garlic vinegar, sea salt and a shot of lemon.

Tonight is brisket and........hmmmm.....still thinking about the side
dishes.

Anne P. Mitchell Esq.

Jan 2, 1995, 2:22:34 PM1/2/95
In a recent missive cjb...@aol.com (CJBmom) tells us:

*served it with diced sweet potato and chopped garlic roasted with lots of
*black pepper (out of this world)

Oooh..so tell us how you do it!

--
I am: mom, attorney, fathers' rights advocate, founder of F.R.E.E.
Creator of fathers' rights newsgroups and the alt.support.* hierarchy

Brian Russell

Jan 2, 1995, 7:19:57 PM1/2/95

Monday, January 2nd, 1995:

Lunch:

Steaming hot bowl of Italian Wedding Soup, two spinach and
artichoke stuffed mannicotti, an antipasto salad, and a slice
of white chocolate cheesecake topped with raspberry sauce.

Dinner:

I grilled a chicken breast that I had marinated in a lime-honey
marinate and sliced it thinly on top of the remaining antipasto
salad I had from lunch.

Snack:

During a t.v. show tonight, I will probably munch out on some
shrimp cocktail, leftover from New Year's Day dinner

Miles Thompson

Jan 3, 1995, 7:16:34 AM1/3/95
to par...@svpal.svpal.org
On 1 Jan 1995 07:16:59 GMT,
Jim Parent <par...@svpal.svpal.org> wrote:

>Scratch pizza. New York style crust, peeled and smooshed plum tomatoes,
>eight cloves of garlic, and a fist full of semi-fresh basil; Washed down
>with a Moosehead.

Note the beer - proudly produced in Saint John, New Brunswick. It was a
surprise to see a local brand mentioned on the 'Net.

Today's my birthday and I received a pizza peel! Scratch pizza tomorrow
night for sure.

A problem I always have with my pizza, compared to commercial pizzeria
pizza, is that the crust alsway seems more "gummy" on top than I think it
should be. Here's what I normally do:

Make pizza dough using either the recipe out of "The Pleasures of Your
Processor" (fairly high yeast to flour ratio), or steal some bread dough
from a batch underway. Let it rise half an hour, then punch down, make a
round, and try to give it another half-hour.

Smear crust with olive oil (bare handed!) A puddle about the size of two
quarters. Add sauce, meat, cheese, etc.

Bake either:
On tiles in bottom of oven which has been at 475-500 degrees F. for half an
hour.
or
In one of those pierced bottom pizza pans, centre of oven at 450 Degrees F.

What I want is a light, crisp on the bottom crust. De Tomaso's pizzeria in
Halifax, when the old man was alive, had a crust you would die for. It was
light, satisfying, flavourful. He used to make the dough in the morning,
give it one rising, then punch down and shape up all the day's production
on pans. He had this gallery of pizza rounds all puffing up, some as high
as 2" by evening.

Have a good one!
Miles Thompson P.O. Box 82
CQA Consulting Group Enfield, NS
mtho...@fox.nstn.ns.ca Canada
Voice: 902-883-1010 Fax:902-883-8586 B2T 1C6
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as
simply messing about in boats" - Water Rat, The Wind in the Willows

Stan Horwitz

Jan 3, 1995, 2:10:50 PM1/3/95
Two nights ago, I had two small lamb chops that I cooked in a pan with a
little water, soy sauce, some spices, and terriki sauce. I served the chops
with some corn and some left over string beans with almonds. Yum!

Last night, I had some raviolli covered with a little canned tomato sauce. I
doctored the tomato sauce by adding some oragano, pepper, garlic, and parsley.
I had this with more of the left over string beans. Yum again!

Tonight, I plan to have a broiled lamb chop with perhaps some potatoes and
maybe some peas.

Starting tomorrow, I will be in London, England on vacation so those of you
who enjoy reading my goings on where dinners are concerned, won't be seeing
my posts here for a week or so.

Happy New Years everyone!

DENISE G KROUSE

Jan 3, 1995, 1:28:45 PM1/3/95
In article <3ea57d$l...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>, at...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Brian

Russell) writes:

>Monday, January 2nd, 1995:
>
>Lunch:
>
>Steaming hot bowl of Italian Wedding Soup, two spinach and
>artichoke stuffed mannicotti, an antipasto salad, and a slice
>of white chocolate cheesecake topped with raspberry sauce.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is Italian Wedding Soup? Did you eat out or did
you make the lunch at home? If you made it, could you post the recipe for the
soup, the manicotti and the cheesecake?

Thanks!

Matt Hucke

Jan 3, 1995, 4:20:45 PM1/3/95
So what did I have for dinner? Ginger soup: boil leftover pork bones
in water, remove and discard; one can chicken stock; add salt and MSG;
about 2 oz. chopped ginger root; one pound cut-up fresh brown
mushrooms; half-pound(?) tofu (really unnecessary, it was an
experiment...); about 7 cut-up scallions (green onions). Boil until
entire apartment smells of ginger.

Sorry about the imprecise measurements, I was making it up as I went
along.

--
"Microsoft has not changed any of its plans for Windows. It is obvious
that we will not include things like threads and preemptive multitasking in

Dan Masi

Jan 4, 1995, 11:02:41 AM1/4/95
A nutritional, well-balance meal. :)

Meat: A 16-oz porterhouse steak, broiled (it was *cold* out) to a
perfect medium (but I was trying for a perfect medium-rare),
brushed with garlic butter.
Vegetable: Onion rings
Starch: Garlic bread
Dairy: Cabot Private Reserve cheddar (before),
Ben&Jerry's Aztec Harvest Coffee ice cream (high-test edition) after.
Fruit: Stone Creek 1992 Merlot.

Whaddaya mean, "there was nothing green"? The garlic bread had some herbs sprinkled
on it!

[funny, I feel like having a salad for lunch...]

---
Dan Masi
Mentor Graphics Corp.
da...@warren.mentorg.com

Christine Neidecker

Jan 4, 1995, 3:09:46 PM1/4/95

My dinners during December were weird -- I ate alone most nights,
so I alternated between quick & easy (cold cereal or microwave popcorn)
and experimental (combos I've always wanted to try but didn't want to
inflict on anyone else the first time around :-). What with parties and
holiday meals and spending long days re-doing a bathroom, my meals have
been even more erratic.

The best thing I ate over the holidays was roasted red pepper soup made
from the Inn at Little Washington's recipe. It was fun to make and
everyone liked it -- I thought it would be a nice surprise for my in-laws,
who'd been to the Inn earlier last year and had raved about the soup.
I served that Christmas eve, followed by baked salmon with a choice of
sauces (lemon-chardonnay-dill and honey dijon), baked potatoes, green
beans, and zucchini. We had Christmas cookies for dessert (the recipes
from r.f.c were a hit, as were my mom's cutouts, which I took great joy
in meticulously decorating).

Christmas day, my mother-in-law fixed a wonderful turkey dinner, and that
was my last good dinner...after that, it was non-stop leftovers. The
bright spots in that week, food-wise, were breakfasts -- we had Linda's
delicious cinnamon rolls almost every morning.

Tonight I'm making spaghetti with carmelized onions -- the onions cook for
about an hour, but I have plenty of time while I scrape up that hideous old
vinyl floor in the bathroom. :-)

Chris

Liz R (RLIZ)

Jan 4, 1995, 10:23:40 AM1/4/95
Well, after reading Dan's post I am now wondering if I could make it to his
house for dinner tonight;>...

Last night was actually pretty good:

Pan sauteed brussels sprouts with Herbs de Provence (yum)

and

Orzo with lemon, garlic, and sundried tomatoes

both cooked with large amounts of olive oil. I love brussels sprouts!

Liz

Ray Taylor

Jan 4, 1995, 6:47:25 PM1/4/95

Went to a local restaurant on the way and got take out... a hot
bowl of chicken noodle soup along with a reuben sandwich and home
fries. I received alot of good, home-cooked food for $4.95...
and NO DISHES TO WASH!

/rt

Ray Taylor

Jan 3, 1995, 10:43:07 PM1/3/95

Deviled Shrimp and Grits w/ hominy, cheddar, and green onions!!!

It's really easy to make ... about 20 minutes. I got the
recipes from a Bon Appetit magazine and have made it a
couple of times. The shrimp (I use scampis) are flavored
with garlic, dijon, and hot pepper sauce. I sometimes make
the grits side dish with other things like Oven Fried Chicken,
Breaded Pork Chops, and Lemon Veal Cutlets.

/rt

Viviane Buzzi

Jan 5, 1995, 1:56:54 AM1/5/95

Sounds good....but what exactly IS a "reuben" sandwich???

Cheers

Viviane

Nancy A Howells

Jan 4, 1995, 12:16:27 PM1/4/95

First of all, Happy New Year to all!

I have just returned from 9 days in northern Michigan, and so
consequently, last night's dinner was a turkey sandwich and some
gingerale, fed by gracious NorthWest Airlines.

Monday, January 2, my parents sprang for pizza, which was actually
quite good. Lots of ham and green peppers, and a garlic bread to die
for.

On New Year's Day, we had a non-traditional (for us) roast of beef
with roast carrots, roast potatoes, gravy made from the drippings, and
yorkshire pudding. I made a fruit salad to go with this, and we were
quite full.

On New Year's Even, we did our very traditional (for us) dinner out.
For this, we went to a place in Mackinaw City, Michigan called Audi's.
Usually, when I've been to Audi's I've been very pleased with
everything - this time, there was a mix-up, and they seated us in the
smoking section, even after acknowledging that we were really not just
wanting, but NEEDING the non-smoking section (my husband has breathing
problems, and I'm a classical singer prone to bronchitis brought on by
air-irritants). Nonetheless, the food was good - ribs in a tangy
sauce, baked chicken seasoned just-right, peas and peanuts (does
anyone have a recipe for this?), potatoes augratin and a great cheese
(with beer!) and cracker tray. They had sweet and sour pork, but *it*
(not surprisingly - but I'll answer that at another time if anyone
asks) was awful.

The week between the 26th and the 31st was spent in mostly leftovers,
though I did make a veggie lasagne for my parents and my husband made
them a meatloaf one night. On December 26, we had our second
Christmas dinner (burp) consisting of raost turkey, mashed potatoes,
green beans, and cranberry sauce. The day before, at home in Boston,
I served baked ham with pineapple/clove glaze, cheesy potatoes with
celery, carrots and onions and broccoli. We had chocolate torte for
dessert.

Christmas Eve, I made my cheese soup, and we had soft rolls to
accompany it.

--Nancy Round, rounder, roundest. Christmas does
how...@mit.edu this, you know.

Lori Bianchi

Jan 5, 1995, 10:44:40 AM1/5/95
v...@tauon.ph.unimelb.edu.au (Viviane Buzzi) writes:

A reuben is pure heaven (for Corned Beef Lovers). It's corned beef on
rye with swiss cheese and sauerkraut. I like mine with a good jewish
style deli mustard.

Lori

Jill Hollifield

Jan 5, 1995, 11:51:20 AM1/5/95

On New Year`s Eve, I experienced my first truly great dining experience
in Princeton at a place called The Alchemist and Barrister. Lovely,
cozy little restaurant, very attentive servers, and wonderful food.
I had the grilled mahi mahi in an orange-ginger sauce, served with
a wild rice pilaf and a side of mixed vegetables - broccoli, carrots,
and cubes of sweet potato in a slightly sweet sauce. My dinner
companion had a plate of *fantastic* roast pork tenderloin topped
with brie, with sweet potato pancakes and a cranberry chutney on
the side. If I ever go back, I'm getting that! Dessert was a rich
pumpkin pie with a layer of chocolate for me, and a nice piece of
cheesecake topped with raspberry for him. Very good coffee, no wine
(neither of us drink alcohol), and then a chilly nighttime walk to
work it off!

New Year's Day found me eating soggy pancakes for brunch in Hackensack,
but that's a whole other story . . . . :-)

Jill
(P.S. - Re-reading this, I should point out that I only had a *piece*
of the pumpkin pie . . . not the whole thing!)

Nancy Dooley

Jan 5, 1995, 4:18:37 AM1/5/95
In article <3eg57m$i...@news.unimelb.EDU.AU> v...@tauon.ph.unimelb.edu.au (Viviane Buzzi) writes:
>From: v...@tauon.ph.unimelb.edu.au (Viviane Buzzi)
>Subject: Re: So what did you have for dinner?
>Date: 5 Jan 1995 06:56:54 GMT

>Cheers

>Viviane

A Reuben sandwich (at least here in the Midwest) is a sandwich made up of very
dark bread, usually pumpernickel, and the filling is lots of thin slices of
corned beef, a couple thin slices of cheese and a healthy glop of sauerkraut.
There is a "special" sauce that goes inside; the whole assembled thing is
lightly spread with butter (or oleo) and grilled (like a cheese sandwich)
until hot and the cheese is melted. Yum!

Nancy Dooley

--- Too much of a good thing can be wonderful! ---(Mae West)

Steven Rezsutek

Jan 5, 1995, 1:15:28 PM1/5/95
RL...@msg.ti.com (Liz R (RLIZ)) writes:

They also put thousand island dressing on it which
is mayo. ketchup and pickle relish (at least that's what it tastes like).

It is, at least according to the only food place I've worked at. And if
"thousand island" doesn't grab ya', drop the pickle relish, and you have
"russian". :-}

Steve

--
---
Steven Rezsutek Steven.M....@gsfc.nasa.gov

Liz R (RLIZ)

Jan 5, 1995, 6:07:43 AM1/5/95
writes:
>>Went to a local restaurant on the way and got take out... a hot
>>bowl of chicken noodle soup along with a reuben sandwich and home
>>fries.

>Sounds good....but what exactly IS a "reuben" sandwich???

A reuben is a hot sandwich containing pastrami (or is it corned beef - I
always make mine with turkey pastrami so I forget), swiss cheese, and
sauerkraut on rye bread. They also put thousand island dressing on it which

is mayo. ketchup and pickle relish (at least that's what it tastes like).

It's a great sandwich.

I make fake reubens by placing two slices of rye bread under the broiler
topped with swiss. Add turkey or turkey pastrami after the cheese melts and
then top with german mustard and lots of kraut. Serve with salt and vinegar
chips. (I always use extra sour rye so it's really a pucker-fest)

LizR

Ray Taylor

Jan 5, 1995, 2:14:14 PM1/5/95

I plan to make a tortilla casserole tonight:

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 jar (8 oz) green mexican salsa
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
1 can (10.75 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 jar (2 oz) sliced pimientos, drained
6 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)

Cook and stir ground beef and onion until beef is brown; drain.
Spread 1/2 cup of the salsa in bottom of ungreased square baking
dish (8 x 8 x 2"). Mix remaining salsa, sour cream, soup, and
pimientos. Layer 1/2 of the tortilla strips, beef mixture, soup
mixture and cheese on salsa; repeat.

Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven until casserole is hot and
bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Garnish with
olives if desired.

Serves 6.

NOTE: I sometimes add chopped chilis and/or a little taco sauce
for added "heat." :)

Christine Neidecker

Jan 5, 1995, 3:31:32 PM1/5/95
In article <lbianchiD...@netcom.com> lbia...@netcom.com (Lori Bianchi) writes:

>A reuben is pure heaven (for Corned Beef Lovers). It's corned beef on
>rye with swiss cheese and sauerkraut. I like mine with a good jewish
>style deli mustard.

Aren't they usually grilled? I've never had one, but every one I've ever
seen has been buttered on the outside of both slices of bread, and then
grilled. I do enjoy a good smoked turkey pseudo-reuben (and eating
salt & vinegar chips on the side sounds great!!)

Chris

Laura S. Concannon

Jan 5, 1995, 5:15:11 PM1/5/95
In Article <RLIZ.896...@msg.ti.com>, RL...@msg.ti.com (Liz R (RLIZ))
wrote:

>A reuben is a hot sandwich containing pastrami (or is it corned beef - I
>always make mine with turkey pastrami so I forget),

Yes, it's supposed to be corned beef (I worked in a German deli for a
while), but I've also seen turkey used. As far as I can tell, there are a
many, many stories as to the Reuben's origins.

swiss cheese, and
>sauerkraut on rye bread. They also put thousand island dressing on it which
>is mayo. ketchup and pickle relish (at least that's what it tastes like).

Yup, you're right on the ingredients for 1000 isle dressing. I used to make
it by the bucketful (it's rather fun, reminded me of being in kindergarten
again with all that goo sloshing around...heeheehee!)

>It's a great sandwich.

I'd agree with that, too!

>I make fake reubens by placing two slices of rye bread under the broiler
>topped with swiss. Add turkey or turkey pastrami after the cheese melts and
>then top with german mustard and lots of kraut. Serve with salt and vinegar
>chips. (I always use extra sour rye so it's really a pucker-fest)

Mmmm, your version actually sounds better! Thanks for the idea! (BTW,
where do you get decent kraut? I've never had good luck with the canned
stuff. Deli?)

Cheers, Laura
>LizR

Lori Bianchi

Jan 5, 1995, 6:11:10 PM1/5/95
cnei...@cyclone.mitre.org (Christine Neidecker) writes:

>Chris

Yup Chris, you're right. My mouth was so busy watering that I forgot
about the broil or grill part.

Instead of your pseudo-reuben, you should try a Monte Cristo.

Regards,

Lori

bmai...@eyecon.com

Jan 5, 1995, 6:30:08 PM1/5/95

Dammit dammit dammit. Beat me to the punch on the reuben question. I
was waiting until St. Patrick's Day (actually the day after) to post a
recipe for the leftovers I call "Reuben Soup"... <sigh>

--
****************
Via: Eye Contact BBS telnet: bbs.eyecon.com (204.94.37.2)

William Smith

Jan 6, 1995, 11:31:56 AM1/6/95
Viviane Buzzi writes:

Sounds good....but what exactly IS a "reuben" sandwich???

A Reuben Sandwich is made with corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut
and russian dressing on rye bread, closed and grilled in a skillet
or flat grill.

It was the winning entry in the first International Sandwich Contest
sometime in the late 50's. The contest, which I think still runs,
is open only to professional chefs.

There are now many variations and substitutions, but I think the
original is best.

William Sburgfort Smith

Amy W. Graham

Jan 6, 1995, 12:42:11 PM1/6/95
I'm trying to get myself out of a cooking rut, so this was nice and easy
but different.

Cooked up some ground beef in a pan, adding chopped onion in for the last
few minutes. Then I took the meat and onion out of the pan, and put in 2
c. of water, a little soy sauce, a little worcestershire, dash of dry
mustard, sprinkle of ginger, splash of garlic salt, and some rosemary.
When it came to a boil, I added a package of Kashi (a 7(?)-grain combo
usually found in the health food aisle), and cooked it for about half an
hour. When the water was just about gone, I added the meat and onion
back in, stirred, and let it cook for another couple minutes. Came out
pretty nicely.

--
Amy Wissoker Graham
Swarthmore College Library

Liz R (RLIZ)

Jan 6, 1995, 4:58:42 AM1/6/95
In article <concann.1...@news.usf.edu> con...@cmd.usf.edu (Laura S. Concannon) writes:
>Mmmm, your version actually sounds better! Thanks for the idea! (BTW,
>where do you get decent kraut? I've never had good luck with the canned
>stuff. Deli?)

There's a great German deli in Dallas called Kuby's that has good kraut. But
I also have to admit that I usually use Vlasic. It's jarred rather than
canned. I prefer my kraut a little more sour, but Vlasic really is pretty
good. It's always crispy rather than that mushy stuff you get at some places.

LizR

Nancy A Howells

Jan 6, 1995, 9:42:37 AM1/6/95

Last night, we broiled some pork chops which I had marinated in A1
Bold and Spicy or whatever it's called (I don't find it as spicy as
normal A1!) and along with that, we had frozen french-cut green beans,
oven fries and fresh pineapple for dessert.

--Nancy
how...@mit.edu

LizR(RLIZ)

Jan 6, 1995, 5:06:57 AM1/6/95
Went to Hooter's and had 3-Mile Island wings. Washed 'em down with a pitcher
of Shiner Bock. Admittedly, Hooter's completely fails the PC test, but they
do have good wings and I wanted to watch the basktball game. I've never quite
bought into the whole PC ethos anyway, it's too condescending. But that's
another story.

Tonight, I'm going to an Elvis birthday party so I guess I'll get fried peanut
butter and banana sandwiches. ICK!

LizR

Jill Reed

Jan 6, 1995, 3:44:41 PM1/6/95

: Mmmm, your version actually sounds better! Thanks for the idea! (BTW,

: where do you get decent kraut? I've never had good luck with the canned
: stuff. Deli?)

: Cheers, Laura
: >LizR

Have you tried Frank's which come in jars. There is also a brand you can
find in the meat or freezer case (usually with the corned beef) that
comes in plastic bags. This is what I use and they are pretty good.

Jill

Carrie Leonard

Jan 10, 1995, 2:49:07 PM1/10/95

We got a smoked ham for Christmas from Dave's sister, so we have been
trying to eat it all week. Last night I made cheese tortorlini and a
sauce of olive oil, white wine, garlic, fresh tomato, and some of the
ham cut in strips. It actually came out really well considering I was
making it up as I went along. Good bread and butter to go along with the
pasta as well.

Carrie

Stan Horwitz

Jan 12, 1995, 9:36:04 AM1/12/95
Yesterday, I flew home (Philadelphia, PA) from London, England where I was
vacationing for a week. On the plane (American Airlines), the food that AA
served was quite good. For our main meal, we had a choice of several items.
A friend who was with me chose the Pizzaria Uno deep dish pizza. He said it
was pretty good. I had the filet mignon which came with potato wedges and some
vegies. It too was good despite the fact that ketchup was not available for
the meal. Don't get me wrong, this was not a fine dinner compared to a real
restaurant where I could decide how I wanted my filet cooked. It was farely
well done when I prefer it medium. It was, however, a decent meal and later
that flight, we were served hot turkey and cheese sandwhiches as a snack.
All in all, even though this was not a standard dinner, it was not bad.

--
My name is Stan Horwitz and my E-mail address is st...@astro.ocis.temple.edu
My opinions are all mine. They do not reflect those of my employer.

Michael J. Edelman

Jan 12, 1995, 1:27:55 PM1/12/95
Someone gave my pal Larry some venison chops which he put to marinating in a
mix he found in an old cookbook. As I recall it had vinegar, peppercorns,
onions, and something else that escapes me...

Three days later here's what we did:

In a large ceramic roaster we layered, in rough order:

Half a dozen potatos, peeled and quartered
SOme cut up celery
Two large apples, quartered
fresh thyme
parsely
the chops, after carefully cutting away all membranes and most
connective tissues

..and this was baked, covered, at 350 for about an hour and a half.

Result? A very interesting stew; the meat was extememly tender, with just
a hint of that gamey taste. The vegetables and juices made a nice liquid
to accompany the meat and some rye bread.

Tonight: Dry melba toast and water. I've been off my bicycle too long,
and it's too warm to ski...

--mike

Ninette R Enrique

Jan 12, 1995, 3:02:57 PM1/12/95

My college roomies and I are having a reunion this weekend in
Philadelphia, which is halfway b/t our respective homes (2 of us in NYC,
2 of us in Wash. DC). None of us has ever been there though.

Stan H. and anyone else: Do you have any recommendations for good,
moderately priced restaurants? We'll be in the Sheraton, wherever that
is, and we'll have no car. Is there good public transportation in Philly?

Also, where's a place that's famous for Philly cheese steaks?

Not relevant to rfc, but are there any good dance clubs? One of us is
getting married, and we would like to "go out" and pretend
we're single women cruising the bars. (The last time I did this with
other friends we failed miserably, but it's worth a try).

I'll be leaving tomorrow (Fri., 1/13/95) afternoon, so any recs would be
appreciated. Otherwise, we will end up eating in the hotel (eek).

Thanks a bunch,

Ninette

Nancy A Howells

Jan 13, 1995, 12:36:09 PM1/13/95

Last night was leftover night - a pork chop with some gravy, and
later, when all was said and done evening wise, a bowl of rice chex
and milk.

--Nancy
how...@mit.edu

Bradley E. Wohlenberg

Jan 16, 1995, 2:26:20 PM1/16/95
Last night, we made homemade macaroni and cheese from a recent edition of
Gourmet. It was really good, and I didn't need to make sides, because it
was incredibly filling.

A couple hours later, I had some Entenmann's fat free raspberry cheese
twist pastry.

Not a bad night overall.

Jennifer

Doris F Kuehl

Jan 16, 1995, 3:08:16 PM1/16/95
Arrived home in the wee hours of the morning because of flight problems
and am cleaning up some stuff in the office before classes start
tomorrow. So this is what we WILL be having tonight. Fresh honey/wheat
bread, rice and veggie mixture, and meat balls from Sams. Will really
miss the fresh oranges, tomatos, shrimp and grouper.
--
Doris F Kuehl
dfk...@iastate.edu

Charlie Johnston

Jan 17, 1995, 12:37:56 PM1/17/95

Another amazingly tasty CrockPot stew...

Cheap beef, cut into cubes while sorta frozen w/ some excessive fat removed
Celery, last limp remnants of a bag - leaves and all, chopped
Carrots, see "Celery" above, only slightly crisper
Old squash, some big orange-fleshed thing (butternut?), peeled/gutted/cubed
Potatoes, cubed

Browned the meat w/ minimal spices (my wife aka. the Milk Truck is
convinced the child will fart herself to death if garlic or other
spices are passed through breast milk...could be...).

Stuck all the stuff in the crock pot, water to barely cover, tossed in
a beef bullion cube. High for 3 hours of basement cleaning (that's the
setting on the cooker, not my mental state. Although that would have made
the so-the-dead-fungusy-mouse-under-the-stairs-is-what-stinks incident
a bit more bearable), low for a couple more hours. I dusnt beleaves
even Aunt Bea coulda dun better....coulda used a blackberry cobbler,
though...

....charlie

virginia pinnell

Jan 17, 1995, 1:18:32 PM1/17/95
I had Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Jill Reed (eds...@falcon.cc.ukans.edu) wrote:
: Nancy A Howells (how...@athena.mit.edu) wrote:
: : Last night was leftover night - a pork chop with some gravy, and

: : --Nancy
: : how...@mit.edu

: Last night my SO treated me to a local restaurant, Fifi's. It was really
: good. He had prime rib au jus with potato and butternut squash and I had
: a fettucine in cream sauce with ham, tomato, and artichoke hearts. For
: an appetizer we had baked brie with almonds on top and served with water
: crackers, roasted garlic and pear slices. Their bread was a delicious,
: finely textured wheat with sesame seeds on top. For dessert we both had
: Kentucky Derby pie with a cookie crust topped with coffee ice cream, hot
: fudge and whipped cream. It was heaven and we brought half of everything
: home so we'll probably have it again tonight. With dinner we had a
: great Rosemont estate Riesling. He gets great person of the week award
: in my life.

: Jill Reed

CJBmom

Jan 17, 1995, 8:35:42 PM1/17/95
Well, reading some recent mussel threads here made me pick up 2 lbs at the
fishmarket (1.29 lb).
I sauteed chopped garlic (4 cloves) in olive oil, added a goodly amount of
red pepper flakes and about a half cup of red wine (didn't have white)
Threw in the mussels and steamed them in the wine for about 5 minutes, til
they opened. Removed mussels, added some canned plum tomatoes (maybe 3 or
4, bashing them down with a potato masher). Let it all cook for about ten
minutes, threw the mussels back in, seasoned with kosher salt and a few
big cranks of black pepper, stirred it up and poured the whole pot over a
huge bowl of steaming spaghetti with olive oil.
Served it family style with grilled bread.
Actually, this in not really what *I* ate, cause when I came back from
putting my little one in the bath, my husband had eaten most of it. But
he swears he's gonna get me a salami sandwich from the deli after one more
game of Tetris.

Claudia

Terry J. Pogue

Jan 18, 1995, 7:20:45 PM1/18/95

> : Last night my SO treated me to a local restaurant, Fifi's. It was really
> : good. He had prime rib au jus with potato and butternut squash and I had
> : a fettucine in cream sauce with ham, tomato, and artichoke hearts. For
> : an appetizer we had baked brie with almonds on top and served with water
> : crackers, roasted garlic and pear slices. Their bread was a delicious,
> : finely textured wheat with sesame seeds on top. For dessert we both had
> : Kentucky Derby pie with a cookie crust topped with coffee ice cream, hot
> : fudge and whipped cream. It was heaven and we brought half of everything
> : home so we'll probably have it again tonight. With dinner we had a
> : great Rosemont estate Riesling. He gets great person of the week award
> : in my life.
>
> : Jill Reed

Sounds like a wonderful evening. My hubby and I did Burger King arggg!
There goes the arteries! Tonight we will be more sensible with pasta
dressed only with a little olive oil, dill, garlic, red pepper, and a
few bits of leftover ham (from Christmas). We probably should pass on
dessert but I just tried the White Chocolate Mousse recipe that was
in an ad for Bakers Chocolate in Fine Cooking. It's outrageous! Oh, it's
good enough I probably should post it. I'm sure we could substitute
butterscotch bits or just about anything else.
Terry

Irina Rempt

Jan 19, 1995, 12:07:44 PM1/19/95
In article <what?-170195...@oncolpc23.med.unc.edu> Charlie Johnston
(what?) wrote on Re: So what did you have for dinner?

> Browned the meat w/ minimal spices (my wife aka. the Milk Truck is
> convinced the child will fart herself to death if garlic or other
> spices are passed through breast milk...could be...).

Ours was brought up on garlicky and spicy milk. After ten days, when
the district nurse disappeared (who said I shouldn't eat or drink
*anything* spicy, fizzy, even mildly alcoholic, or otherwise tasty) I
went back to my normal eating habits and the kid was never any the
worse for it - in fact now she's almost a year old she eats whatever we
have - if it's really too hot we feed her something milder, but still
with a little garlic in it because she positively insists on it. Her
current favourite is chicory, with beetroot soup a close second
(imagine the state of her clothes afterwards...). And CHEESE. We can't
pass the cheese counter in the supermarket without Naomi trying to climb
out of the cart and steal something.

Today it was leftover curly kale and pasta, by the way, topped with a
mince (hamburger for you Americans) and tomato sauce and put in the oven
for twenty minutes or so. Fish pie tomorrow :-)

Irina

--
"Well, now that we have seen each other," said the Unicorn,
"if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you. Is that a bargain?"

Doris F Kuehl

Jan 20, 1995, 9:29:07 AM1/20/95
-- a quite night at our home. We have Harvest Vegtable soup (Christmas
gift) that comes from Hickory Farms. I added a couple handsfull of
mixed frozen veggies. Fresh from the machine oatmeal bread with deli
sliced turkey, dill mustard and very thin sliced cucumber. Left over
Christmas M&Ms. Bottled water for me and Coke for the spouse.

Michael J. Edelman

Jan 19, 1995, 2:18:43 PM1/19/95
I made a sort of fish soup with some miso, a chunk of cod cut up,
a bit of greens, soft tofu and the usual seasonings. It was pretty
good.

But at the market on the way home I noticed that mussel prices
are still plummeting. They ordered *way* too much, and are now
selling them for 49 cents a pound! Yow. I know what I'll be having
for dinner this weekend...

--mike

Stan Horwitz

Jan 21, 1995, 2:52:06 PM1/21/95
As some of you may have noted in some of my recent posts, I recently returned
from a vacation. Since I got back from my vacation, I haven't made much in
terms of dinners. Yesterday, I was treated to lunch at the faculty dining
club where I work. Normally, I have a very light and quick lunch, but this
time, I had delicious hamberger, friench fries, and a slice of cheese cake
for dessert. I rarely eat dessert though. Thanks to this heavy lunch, my
appetite was satiated until about 8:00pm when I started to get hungry for
dinner.

A friend and I dropped by a local diner around 8:30 last night for dinner. I
had the chicken frances dinner special. It was breaded and lightly fried
chicen tendorloins that were covered with a sauce made from lemon and butter.
The vegies I had were home fried potatoes and mashed potatoes. If this diner
had some decent green vegies on the menu, I would have ordered something other
than two potato dishes. My dinner was mediocre in taste and the service at
this diner was also mediocre, especially considering that the diner was not
crowded and seemed well-staffed. This was only the second or third time I had
dinner at this diner and I think it will be my last because there are several
other places to eat in the area where this diner is located that have much
better food and service at similar prices.

Ray Taylor

Jan 21, 1995, 1:59:24 PM1/21/95

My ex-wife and I went out on a "date" last night. We went to a
restaurant in Valley View (Ohio) called "Johnny K's Other Place"
and had a GREAT meal and decent (civil) conversation.

Gayle ordered the BBQ Ribs and Chicken Combo and I went for the
special 24 ounce Porterhouse Steak. She had baked potato and
salad... I had redskins and salad. When the food came we split
our dinners for quite a feast (and I still had steak to take
home) for $27.99 plus a $6.00 tip to the waitress who was working
two dining rooms alone and still managed to smile.

The best thing of all was being able to kiss the BI*CH goodnight
(did *I* say that?) and not have to listen to how I messed up
her life and mine. We will NEVER get back "together" again but
she's one of the best friends I have ever had... or will have.

Sometimes letting go is better than hanging on to something that
doesn't exist!!!

The only kind of boat that doesn't sink is FRIEND-SHIP!!!

/rt

Curt Zaumeyer

Jan 22, 1995, 6:51:48 PM1/22/95
We had dinner at myin-laws...a birthday celebration for my teen daughter.
They made porkroast with potato dumplings and gravy. There was a big bowl
of sliced tomatoes. Cauliflower,cucumber, carrots, sliced mushrooms filled
another big bowl. These were served with a dill dip. We also had purple
cabbage and a lime-pear jello. Birthday cake was store bought can you
blame them? Yum-Yum .....I love eating at my in-laws!

Iain G Liddell

Jan 23, 1995, 5:30:16 AM1/23/95
This weekend, we've been On Tour, so our meals have been cooked by others
(and paid for by us).

Main meals were Saturday evening and Sunday lunch.

On Saturday, we needed a fair amount of cosseting (see Saturday lunch below)
so we went to Henrietta's in Kineton, Warwickshire. This is a small place
(seats about 40 at a pinch) with a menu which goes onto two sides of A4
and a blackboard for daily specials. It's about five miles from Junction 12
of the M40, and - as the Michelin guide might say - "vaut le detour".

I started with tiger prawns wrapped in filo, and cooked with a honey and
ginger glaze (very delicate, an excellent appetiser), while Mary went for
the assortment of mushrooms in a garlic sauce (it got a high vote too).
For main course, I had some meltingly tender pork loin with apple, mushroom
and Calvados sauce, with just potatoes and broccoli to accompany (their
other veg of the day were glazed carrots and a celeriac/leek puree, which
I thought might clash with the sauce).

Mary's main course was red mullet in a tomato, garlic, more garlic and
olive sauce: good, but there were fishbone problems which detracted from
the enjoyment. Her Provencal salad was huge, and excellent.

Coffee meringues on the distaff side for dessert, while I abstained. A
good selection of desserts, with a nice cheese selection (Paxton and
Whitfield in Stratford, I'd guess).

I'd recommend the place to anyone visiting Stratford-upon-Avon (you know,
the place where that poets-and-plays fellow came from) - and needless to
say, I have no connection with the place other than as a satisfied customer.

Sunday lunch was at the end of our monthly walk: an excellent plateful of
assorted pasta with a bacon, mushroom and tomato sauce, and a vast array
of side-veg. All washed down with Old Speckled Hen beer.

Saturday lunch followed our recce for next month's walk, which we are to
lead. This was the occasion when our group's title ("Per Ardua ad Tavernam")
came into its own. We'd seen a 7-mile triangular route on the map, so
set off to try it. At about the three-mile mark, the rain started. It was
soon joined by hail, sleet and everything else, barring plagues of frogs
and lice. After the second side of the triangle, we sheltered in a pub
and had some "White Dolphin" brand of beer. And before anyone starts
anything, this is just a name and a logo, there are neither fish nor
mammals of delphinic nomenclature in the beer!! It's a mixed wheat and
barley beer, which should be a first-rate summer drink, but was less in
tune with the elements in January. We squelched out into the rain, and
arrived back at the car (in another pub car park) at about 1.30 pm, soaked
to the bones. The curried parsnip soup was heavenly, and we had to temper
our enthusiasm for the main courses, in the knowledge that we'd be eating
out again in the evening. We reasoned that pecan pie was OK, though, and
(as befits a pub across the road from the home of Geo Washington's
ancestors) it was excellent.

Despite our best efforts, though, we just could not thaw out in the
afternoon, and the above cosseting was required. Needless to say, the
rain stopped and the sun came out ten minutes after we got to the pub.

Sunday breakfast at the B&B house was OK - bacon, scrambled egg and some
toasted blotting-paper bread - but I could have done with more sustenance.
Clearly they're more accustomed to playgoers then cross-country walkers
there!!

Got home Sunday evening in a bad mood - to cap it all, one boot split
open during Sunday's walk - and munched on cheese and biscuits before
turning in early.

Tonight, we've got the History Society in the village, so we'll be
taking our meal at a running pace. I think the talk's about a century's
development of infant feeding (either that or it's next month's), so
perhaps we ought to eat heartily before we go. Since we were in no fit
state to grace the supermarket yesterday (unless mud and mildew is the
chic look of '95), this week's meals are still a mystery. Heigh-ho!

Iain

Ninette R Enrique

Jan 23, 1995, 12:37:45 PM1/23/95

Boy, I haven't participated in this thread for awhile. Well, I haven't
cooked in a while...

Saturday, we has a simple supper of focaccia, pepperoni, fresh mozarella,
sundried tomatoes, and roasted peppers.

Sunday, we ate a great roasted chicken with sundried tomatoes and garlic,
with roasted veggies (red potatoes, garlic, zucchini, and tomatoes), and
a cucumber salad.

To make the roast chicken, thinly slice 6 sundried tomatoes, mince 3-4
garlic cloves, and mash 2-3 rinsed anchovies (or use salt). Combine with
2 tbs. tomato paste and enough oil to make paste. Spread paste under
and over skin of chicken. Roast as you like (I prefer high temp. roasting).

It's REALLY good. Try it!

Ninette

Ray Taylor

Jan 23, 1995, 7:57:57 PM1/23/95

Tonight? Well, I am making oven fried pork chops, spanish rice,
and mexicorn. Mexicorn is a canned product of kernel corn and
sweet red peppers. I use a product called Oven Fry, a mix that
makes Shake and Bake taste sick... and the spanish rice is from
Lipton in a mix. The meal takes about an hour and works well for
dining at home or entertaining. I usually make the mexicorn in a
garlic butter or even a lime-butter mixture, depends on my mood!!!

/rt
It is loading more messages.