KitchenAid & Hobart

Byron

Apr 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/18/98

Hi All,

Recently I purchased at auction, a 250 Watt KitchenAid Mixer, with
some attachments, for $100. It was like brand new, signs of wear,
or abuse. Not even any dried bits of batter.

But, I see it was made by Hobart. Yesterday in a kitchen specialty
store, I see KitchenAid mixers, and printed prominently on them is the

statement " Household use only ", ( or something very similar ).
And, they are no longer made by Hobart here in Troy, Ohio, but
up in Michigan.

What gives? Any quality difference? I have known chefs that used
the Hobart KitchenAids in their commercial kitchens, but now
I wonder if the people buying the new ones are not getting the
same quality as the older models seemed to be. Mine has the
torque of a tank engine.

Or, are the new ones better? And if so, why the warning?

Just Curious, not ranting or complaining.

Bk

PENMART10

Apr 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/18/98

In article <3538aa99...@news.bright.net>, bke...@bright.net (Byron )
writes:

The older Kitchen Aid mixers were indeed made by Hobart, and were made much
better in every respect. The new Kitchen Aid mixers are toys compared to the
one you have.

The main difference is the motor. The Hobarts have much heavier coil windings.
Wattage has little to do with torque, actually, nothing. The new Kitchen Aids
come in different wattages, but all that means is a few more windings, not
heavier, or better insulated wires. Wattage tells you how much it'll cost to
run the motor under load, not how much power is available. More important then
listed wattage is amperage (starting & running). Think of a new Kitchen Aid
like a lightbulb, the higher the wattage, the hotter it'll run -- period!
Also, the gearing in the old Hobart-made Kitchen Aids is different, a more
powerful gear ratio to match the more powerful motor, and it's not made of
plastic. The newer Kitchen Aids have heat sensitive over-load devices, the
older models made by Hobart did not need any - they did not strain - they did
not overheat. Your old Hobart/Kitchen Aid is a keeper.

Sheldon

Kate

Apr 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/18/98

Thanks for that information Sheldon. Now I don't feel so bad about the swap I
made. I gave my mom my brand new 300 watt KitchenAide and got her never used
20 year old Hobart 250 watt KitchenAide along with the food mill, pasta
extruder (a dud!) and vegetable slicer. I didn't notice the wattage
difference until later and she wanted a boxed KA to give as a gift to my
sister.

Kate (who is feeling much better about the deal now ;-))

M. Smith

Apr 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/18/98

Byron wrote in message <3538aa99...@news.bright.net>...

>Recently I purchased at auction, a 250 Watt KitchenAid Mixer...

>But, I see it was made by Hobart. Yesterday in a kitchen specialty
>store, I see KitchenAid mixers, and printed prominently on them is
>the statement " Household use only ", ( or something very similar ).
>And, they are no longer made by Hobart here in Troy, Ohio, but

>up in Michigan....

>What gives? Any quality difference?

The older KA's were made by Hobart and had a reputation for being
workhorses. Our K5-A was made by Hobart and we bought it in 1978. It's still
running fine after 20 years of regular use, and I'm a =very= avid home bread
baker.

We have a good friend who inherited her KitchenAid mixer when her
grandmother died at age 104. We think it dates back to the 1930's or 1940's
(came with its own wood floor stand) and it still runs, though a couple of
the "speeds" no longer work because the speed control switch is so old.

A few years back, I'm not quite sure, Whirlpool bought KitchenAid. Whirlpool
is obviously more focused on the consumer market rather than professional,
but that said, I've heard no complaints about the current models. Whether
the new ones will last 20 plus years under heavy use, only time will tell,
but I sure wouldn't hesitate to pick up an old Hobart at a garage sale if it
was in working order.

- Mitch

Edwin Pawlowski

Apr 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/19/98

Byron wrote in message <3538aa99...@news.bright.net>...

>Hi All,

>But, I see it was made by Hobart. Yesterday in a kitchen specialty
>store, I see KitchenAid mixers, and printed prominently on them is the
>
>statement " Household use only ", ( or something very similar ).

>Bk

Do you think that they "improved" them after Hobart sold off that division?
While they are still a good mixer, the older Hobarts were better IMO.
Ed
e...@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Byron

Apr 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/19/98

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998 00:14:17 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net>
wrote:

>Do you think that they "improved" them after Hobart sold off that division?

>Ed

No.

I asked if they were the same or lesser quality.

Wolf

Apr 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/20/98

>The main difference is the motor. The Hobarts have much heavier coil windings.
> Wattage has little to do with torque, actually, nothing. The new Kitchen Aids
>come in different wattages, but all that means is a few more windings, not
>heavier, or better insulated wires. Wattage tells you how much it'll cost to
>run the motor under load, not how much power is available. More important then
>listed wattage is amperage (starting & running). Think of a new Kitchen Aid
>like a lightbulb, the higher the wattage, the hotter it'll run -- period!
>Also, the gearing in the old Hobart-made Kitchen Aids is different, a more
>powerful gear ratio to match the more powerful motor, and it's not made of
>plastic. The newer Kitchen Aids have heat sensitive over-load devices, the
>older models made by Hobart did not need any - they did not strain - they did
>not overheat. Your old Hobart/Kitchen Aid is a keeper.
>
>Sheldon

I have to disagree. Wattage, amperage, and torque are all inseperable.
You can get the amperage by dividing power (watts) by voltage (110 in
the US). This is the case with any motor - old or new. The power
rating (in watts) tells you how much power the motor consumes. Usually
about 70%-80% of that power is available as usable power to turn the
mixer. The torque produced is a result of how much the motor's output
power is geared down.

Larger windings found in the older machines will allow the motor to
run somewhat cooler (which helps them live longer) and give a little
better efficiency (a liitle more power out for those amps in).

My point is that wattage ratings and amperage ratings tell you the
exact same thing.

The big difference is the older devices were rated in working wattages
and working amperages. While a lot of new devices are rated in peak
values which are about 1.5 times the real working values. Kind of
deceptive, I think. Also, as you said the older stuff used metal gears
instead of plastic gears (plastic gears should be outlawed) and were
in general very over-designed and as a result lasted forever and a
day.

I'm not trying to split hairs, I just wanted to clear up the
wattage/amperage thing.

Wolf

Michael Regester

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98

Kitchen aid makes a commercial model thats a higher watt and higher
cost. It is also NSF approved where the Residental are not.
--
Regester Equipment company., Inc. http://www.swiftsite.com/regester
Phone: 410-254-6615 / Fax 410-254-1394 / E-Mail: mr...@erols.com

Mike....@access.crcn.net

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98

Hi, I saw your post, and thought you might be able to help me. My
parents have an old Kitchenaid Dishwasher, top loader, about 1965 or
1966. The switch built into the lid that shuts off the maching needs a
new one. It kinda melted in a small fire..... but the rest of the unit
is just fine and still works well. Any idea where I might be able to
get a new one, or even a used one to reinstall in their machine?
Thanks....ps...I have a new kitchenaid built in in my house
too...they are excellent machines.. thanks Mike