OT: Young Jessica the sailor...... go you good thing!!!

PLucas@home

Apr 3, 2010, 10:13:05 AM4/3/10
http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/the-voyage

The girl is making history.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/jessica-watson-is-charting-
her-own-course/story-e6freoof-1225849215175

Jessica Watson is charting her own course

* Kathleen Donaghey
* From: The Sunday Mail (Qld)
* April 04, 2010 12:00AM

SHE calls herself "just the same Jess" ? but to those who have watched her
sailing around the world, Jessica Watson is an enigma.

Bobbing across the Indian Ocean is a willowy, frail-looking teen who has
conquered deadly seas.

She struggled with dyslexia at school but co-ordinated this complex and
ambitious project.

She is quiet, sometimes solitary, but can charter adults to her bidding.

She's described as reserved but is imbued with an unwavering
determination.

People who meet Jess are surprised at the Sunshine Coast teen who talks
like an adult, having been home-schooled and having spent much time with
older people.

With a maturity beyond her years, she blots out the noise of media
speculation to concentrate on her goals.

When surrounded by a baying pack of journalists, after her collision with
a 63,000-tonne cargo ship off North Stradbroke Island, she responded
coolly.

Jess's parents, Julie and Roger, have no idea where she inherited her
complexity.

And, contrary to public perception, Jess's parents were not the driving
force behind her expedition. But, when they realised their girl was
serious, they set aside any reservations and went along for the ride.

Mrs Watson recalls that Jess was only 11 and had been learning to sail for
three years when she made up her mind.

First she needed more experience and took month-long international trips
with experienced sailors. Then she mustered a team, approaching people she
knew were the best.

Jess convinced adventurer Don McIntyre that she was serious. He bought her
a boat.

Ella Bache chairman John Hallas knew straight away when he met her at the
Sydney International Boat Show that she was worth supporting.

Jess's former boss, John Bankart – who employed her for four years as a
dinghy instructor of adults and kids – recalls that her confidence evolved
over time.

"In the early stages she was very quiet and had a very relaxed and gentle
manner," Mr Bankart said.

When she shared her idea of sailing solo around the world, like many
people, he thought it was just a young girl's dream.

But then he saw how single-mindedly she pursued that dream and lent a
hand.

Solo yachtsman Bruce Arms came on board as project manager. Last year he
led the refit of the 10m yacht, Ella's Pink Lady, as Jess supervised.

As she nears the finish line, Jess has been phoning sponsors and
supporters to thank them. In emails, she expresses puzzlement at the fuss
going on back on land.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Dora

Apr 3, 2010, 10:22:34 AM4/3/10
PLucas@home wrote:
> http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/the-voyage
>

> The girl is making history.

I've been following her every step of the way.
What a girl - Australia must be proud.

PLucas@home

Apr 3, 2010, 10:38:53 AM4/3/10
"Dora" <lime...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:81p19d...@mid.individual.net:

Most Aussies have been holding their breath since she started...... it's only
starting to ease now she's getting closer to home :-)

Fingers crossed..... the only problem she should have now is if Tony
Bullimore runs into her out in the middle of nowhere!!

J. Clarke

Apr 3, 2010, 10:58:15 AM4/3/10

What I find remarkable is that there are two of them out there at the
same time. And if Holland wasn't such a nanny state there would be _three_.

Not sure what it says about our society that something that used to be
barely within the powers of a national government to accomplish and was
hideously dangerous for a squadron of warships is now a recreational
activity for teenaged girls.

PLucas@home

Apr 3, 2010, 11:27:06 AM4/3/10
"J. Clarke" <jclarke...@cox.net> wrote in

> On 4/3/2010 10:22 AM, Dora wrote:
>> PLucas@home wrote:
>>> http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/the-voyage
>>>

>>> The girl is making history.
>>
>> I've been following her every step of the way. What a girl - Australia
>> must be proud.
>
> What I find remarkable is that there are two of them out there at the
> same time.

Who's the other one?

Ed Pawlowski

Apr 3, 2010, 11:39:01 AM4/3/10

"PLucas@home" <PLu...@home.upstairs.in.brissie.aus> wrote in message

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke...@cox.net> wrote in

>>> I've been following her every step of the way. What a girl - Australia
>>> must be proud.
>>
>> What I find remarkable is that there are two of them out there at the
>> same time.
>

> Who's the other one?

Abby Sunderland. She just went around the Horn

http://tinyurl.com/y9kdowu

gloria.p

Apr 3, 2010, 12:39:56 PM4/3/10
J. Clarke wrote:

> What I find remarkable is that there are two of them out there at the
> same time. And if Holland wasn't such a nanny state there would be
> _three_.
>
> Not sure what it says about our society that something that used to be
> barely within the powers of a national government to accomplish and was
> hideously dangerous for a squadron of warships is now a recreational
> activity for teenaged girls.

They all want their 15 seconds of fame and millions of dollars in
endorsements. Can't you see this summer's catalogs filled with
Jessica sailing shorts and t-shirts (or maybe Victoria's Secret
halter tops), Nike sailing shoes and sandals, Coppertone sailing
sunblock, Adidas sailor hats, Dentyne refreshing sailing gum.
(Nah, me neither. The World Cup soccer tournament in South Africa
will draw more attention.)

gloria p

J. Clarke

Apr 3, 2010, 1:05:03 PM4/3/10
On 4/3/2010 11:27 AM, PLucas@home wrote:
> "J. Clarke"<jclarke...@cox.net> wrote in

>>> I've been following her every step of the way. What a girl - Australia
>>> must be proud.
>>
>> What I find remarkable is that there are two of them out there at the
>> same time.
>

> Who's the other one?

Abby Sunderland.

And the one the Dutch government stopped is Laura Dekker, who has since
won her lawsuit against them but it didn't happen in time for her to get
a start this year.

Michel Boucher

Apr 3, 2010, 1:44:53 PM4/3/10

> What a girl - Australia must be proud.

Why? Is Australia there with her?

--

"When a government starts to cancel dissent or avoid dissent
is frankly when it's rapidly losing its moral authority to

Stephen Harper, 18 April 2005

PLucas@home

Apr 3, 2010, 6:37:42 PM4/3/10
"gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote in news:hp7r14$i4b$1...@news.eternal-
september.org:

In Jessica's 'store', there are two things for sale. A cap, amd a wall map
for schools.

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/the-store

In Abbey Sunderland's 'store' however........

http://www.abby16.com/

I count........ 30 items, which include a multitude of sailing
shoes/sandals and t-shirts.

Seems Jessica is doing it for the journey, and Abbey wants to use the
journey to rake in the commercial $$'s.

PLucas@home

Apr 3, 2010, 6:38:59 PM4/3/10
Michel Boucher <Alsa...@g.mail.com> wrote in

> "Dora" <lime...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:81p19d...@mid.individual.net:
>
>> What a girl - Australia must be proud.
>
> Why? Is Australia there with her?

She is representing all Australians.

And what did you do today?

Ed Pawlowski

Apr 3, 2010, 7:25:32 PM4/3/10

"PLucas@home" <PLu...@home.upstairs.in.brissie.aus> wrote

> In Jessica's 'store', there are two things for sale. A cap, amd a wall map
> for schools.
>
> http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/the-store
>

> In Abbey Sunderland's 'store' however........
>
> http://www.abby16.com/
>

> I count........ 30 items, which include a multitude of sailing
> shoes/sandals and t-shirts.
>
> Seems Jessica is doing it for the journey, and Abbey wants to use the
> journey to rake in the commercial $$'s.

Don't forget the talk shows and book deal. Maybe even a movie. Frankly, I
was surprised that Jessica did not even have T shirts and sweat shirts.

This is quite a voyage for anyone to undertake at any age. I wonder though,
if they would have considered doing it 10 or 20 years ago with the equipment
available at the time. Think about the "fully equipped" ships sailing the
seas in the 1600's. Yikes, not for me.

J. Clarke

Apr 3, 2010, 8:11:04 PM4/3/10
On 4/3/2010 1:44 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Dora"<lime...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:81p19d...@mid.individual.net:
>
>> What a girl - Australia must be proud.
>
> Why? Is Australia there with her?

Not just Australia but every remnant of Empire.

Apr 3, 2010, 10:26:07 PM4/3/10

If there are no more than caps and maps at Jessica's 'store', they must have
sold everything else, for it started with a lot of items.

I've followed her blog and website from before she set out, and think she's
one remarkable young lady. I'm not tuned to the Australian accent though,
and can only catch a scant few words on her videos. She has described some
frightening times, like being upside down with her mast pointed at the
bottome of the sea, yet has never sounded one bit distressed in her
reporting of the voyage.

Michel Boucher

Apr 4, 2010, 12:15:22 AM4/4/10

>> Why? Is Australia there with her?
>
> Not just Australia but every remnant of Empire.

This remnant of Empah knows nothing of her undertaking. So, not true.

atec7 7

Apr 4, 2010, 1:51:35 AM4/4/10
You say that like it's a bad thing

J. Clarke

Apr 4, 2010, 2:23:41 AM4/4/10

Say what like it's a bad thing?

atec7 7

Apr 4, 2010, 9:48:36 AM4/4/10
Oh
it's true then about your relationship with dirt

J. Clarke

Apr 4, 2010, 10:30:08 AM4/4/10

<plonk>

PLucas@home

Apr 4, 2010, 11:38:26 AM4/4/10
"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snetnospam.net> wrote in

> "PLucas@home" <PLu...@home.upstairs.in.brissie.aus> wrote
>>
>> In Jessica's 'store', there are two things for sale. A cap, amd a wall
>> map for schools.
>>
>> http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/the-store
>>

>> In Abbey Sunderland's 'store' however........
>>
>> http://www.abby16.com/
>>

>> I count........ 30 items, which include a multitude of sailing
>> shoes/sandals and t-shirts.
>>
>> Seems Jessica is doing it for the journey, and Abbey wants to use the
>> journey to rake in the commercial $$'s.
>>

> Don't forget the talk shows and book deal. Maybe even a movie.

Yep...... that's the PR machine that is America.

> Frankly, I was surprised that Jessica did not even have T shirts and
> sweat shirts.

Like I said...... seems she's doing it for the journey, not the $$'s.

> This is quite a voyage for anyone to undertake at any age. I wonder
> though, if they would have considered doing it 10 or 20 years ago with
> the equipment available at the time. Think about the "fully equipped"
> ships sailing the seas in the 1600's. Yikes, not for me.

LOL!! Bit of a difference between 10-20 years and the 1600's!!

But as for Jessica, 10 years ago she would have been 5 or 6.

20 years ago....... she'd have had to make the trip in her old mans nut sack.

But I get your inferrance.

I seem to remember a kid from 10-20 years ago that did just that.....
Jesse???

aaaaaaaaaah, GIMF :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Martin

Another Aussie kid ;-P